Hyatt Regency O'hare Question

#1 User is offline   neomiroku 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 1692

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:57 PM

ok so this is kinda important heh.

i know the first night's stay is charged on the card you booked with.. around april 20th

but i know also when you check in.. they put a hold on some form of a card..obviously it needs to have money on it. to hold it on there.

2 questions

how much of the stay is on the hold during check-in..till check out and can you use anyones' card? cause my gf was gonna use her card.. but i booked the room.

thanks for related info given
"he is the ONE", yeah the one that gropped my A**!"

#2 User is offline   this_chick25 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 7489

Posted 24 March 2010 - 06:11 AM

Unless they've recently changed policy or it's different for different cards or situations (like roll-away beds or room service, which I never get), the deposit --equivalent of one night's stay--is the "hold".

When I check in, even if I change cards from the one I reserved with (which I sometimes do because I use a different card for online transactions), I have never been charged anything else until the day of check-out, which is usually deducted that morning or the night before for me.

The only cards I have ever used are both bank-issued debit cards with a Visa logo, if that means anything. Also, I have only ever stayed at the Hyatt for ACen.

This post has been edited by this_chick25: 24 March 2010 - 06:13 AM

Acen Attendee since 2001
Wondering how much to save for ACen? Click here!
FREE! Cosplay construction and materials advice--get yours now!
Never cause more mischief than that which is necessary for success.
Sig invade'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd by Alk <3

#3 User is offline   Krystal 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 14958

Posted 24 March 2010 - 06:22 AM

View Postthis_chick25, on Mar 24 2010, 07:11 AM, said:

Unless they've recently changed policy or it's different for different cards or situations (like roll-away beds or room service, which I never get), the deposit --equivalent of one night's stay--is the "hold".

That's how it worked for us last year...
Acen 2011: I lost my red kodak camera. If you found it, PLEASE contact me. I really miss it.

#4 User is offline   SpicyNinjaCat 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 10841

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:08 PM

sometimes hotels charge you the whole weekend on the spot too, but it's not authorized until you check-out. it just sits there "frozen".

because i remembered one time the hotel called me later in the day to tell me that my account didn't have enough money and i had to go downstairs to clear it up with them that i was going to use a different form of payment. it was weird that they did that.
I was in the parking lot from the false fire alarm in '12.
I overcame the ACen rapture in '11.
I survived the ACen fire in '10.
I dodged the H1N1 outbreak in '09.
I was denied ice cream at the ACen 10th Anniversary ice cream social in '07.

#5 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:19 PM

Sometimes they will 'freeze' or hold your account that the cardholder has. If you have to make monthly payments with a certain card I would have it switched to someone elses. You can get that arranged. A few years ago I held a room with my mastercard debit and it worked but at the con I spaced and didnt have it with me so my awesomest friend in the world had his on him and it was acceptable. (Phew!) To be sure you should call the Hyatt directly. =3
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#6 User is offline   this_chick25 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 7489

Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:02 PM

I was just about to say the thing about calling!

Also, if you plan on using an alternate form of payment (reserved with card but paying in cash, change the card used for payment, etc.), make sure to tell the clerk at check-in and ask if there is any kind of policy that will go into place because of the change. They should be up front with you about it.
Acen Attendee since 2001
Wondering how much to save for ACen? Click here!
FREE! Cosplay construction and materials advice--get yours now!
Never cause more mischief than that which is necessary for success.
Sig invade'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd by Alk <3

#7 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 24 March 2010 - 03:24 PM

If you do what was suggested do you think you could post that up here?
I plan to have the full payment (2 nights +tax) before acen but I want to make sure that they're not going to take anything from me
A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
CURRENTLY SELLING ANIME/MANGA/WALLSCROLLS! PM FOR MORE INFORMATION!
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#8 User is offline   neomiroku 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 1692

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:23 PM

ok so i asked my gf that works at a hotel (i didn't wanna bring it up to her recently lol she was pissed a couple times)

and she said they do, do that.

they only do the remaining nights on your reservation .. so if you are staying 2 nights.. they are only going to "hold" the other night so one night.

NOW she said it's better to use a credit card for the hold..cause it will take a couple days to get the hold off the card.. and if you use a debit card.. they might double hold it.. once at check in and then again at check out..for some weird reason.

or you can see if you can just pay the whole stay at check in .. instead.
"he is the ONE", yeah the one that gropped my A**!"

#9 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:46 PM

-nod nod-
I called them a few days ago to get all of that info and was relieved. I already have the first amount ready to pay off my credit card (no debt for poor college students...at least not yet) and am still getting the last tricklings for the second amount. <- is giddy over acen happiness!
A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
CURRENTLY SELLING ANIME/MANGA/WALLSCROLLS! PM FOR MORE INFORMATION!
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#10 User is offline   slrphebos 

• Customer Service Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 974

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:44 PM

Last year when I stayed at the Hyatt, I was charged the hold before the con and then when I got there I had to use that CC to check in. Now Sunday morning (when I checked out) I have a paper slid under my door that has the bill that is "due" and only if I was okay with them charging my check-in CC I just had to leave the room and do nothing. It actually took a day for that final charge to show up on my CC and the one I used was with Bank of America. I do have try to have around $100 extra available just in case.

The only hotel that I been screwed by is Hampton Inns up in Wheeling during a con last November because they changed their policy. Never by the Hyatt.
~Ri-chan
ACen 2013-2014: Customer Service

2013 Cosplay: Team Aqua Grunt (100%), Fluttershy Sweet Lolita (95%)

#11 User is offline   magishine 

• Tenkuu Yuusha
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 21997

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:55 PM

I called the Hyatt today and the lady I spoke to said they put a hold on your card of $522.16. I think it should be actually for 348.11 with the deposit but I don't think she knew that
uchu kitaaaaaa!!!!

Cosplays for ACen 2015 and progress made:

Not attending ACen in 2015. Sorry. Maybe 2016

#12 User is offline   Meredy_Himura 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 3084

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:21 PM

The guy I talked to said he doesn't take anything out until checkout. I am so confused.
Proud momma to a beautiful Luts Ani girl named Madison and a Soom Beyla named Layline.

#13 User is offline   obakasan 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 2555

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:40 PM

Putting a "hold" on a card and actually *charging* your card are two different things. A "hold" essentially "sets aside" part of your credit limit, which could affect any activity on your card (like it could be rejected by a vendor as "over limit" even if the *actual* charge that the hold was for hasn't been formalized). A "charge" is when the amount is actually procesed through by the vendor and it is posted to your account by the card processor.

And it isn't just hotels that put on holds. I have heard even gas stations do so when you swipe your card at the pump. That way they "preconfirm" you can actually pay. A gas station would find it hard to ask you to give back the gas in your tank if they waited till you were done and the card was rejected at the end of the transaction. A regular retail store for example can just not let you take/use the merchandise if the card is rejected. Not so at a hotel (or said gas station) *after* you have stayed there and/or used their services.

So as a side note: if you are using a credit card that is close to the limit when you check in, there is a possibility that you may have it rejected as "over limit" if your try to buy something, as the "hold" they place on your card *is* often more than the "planned" charges (say a 3 night stay). After all they have no idea if you might go wild with room service or clean out the mini-fridge every hour, so they build in those "possible" extras in the hold.
This space intentionally left blank.

#14 User is offline   magishine 

• Tenkuu Yuusha
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 21997

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:48 PM

That's why I'm paying them cash. I don't have a credit card with a limit of $500 and my card won't be paid off in time for the trip. That's why I'm paying cash but I'm sure they'll ask for my card when I get there for "incidentals" like parking, etc. So it'll be paid down a little in time for the trip
uchu kitaaaaaa!!!!

Cosplays for ACen 2015 and progress made:

Not attending ACen in 2015. Sorry. Maybe 2016

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users