Things I Truly Hate About Facebook For those facebookers out there

#1 User is offline   redx1 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 20031

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:34 PM

Friend suggestions
Like really? If I wanted to add this person to my friends list, I would have done it myself. If I didn't add them in the first place, there's a very good chance that don't know who they are, therefore, why would I them to know personal information about me?

Photo Tagging
Ok, I can't say I hate photo tagging, it is a nice feature. What I hate is the inability to MODERATE it. Someone tags a picture of you barfing on someone's fridge at a party, the whole world knows about it instantly. If you remove the tag of yourself, the person who originally tagged you gets offended and usually the damage is already done.

Farmville Notifications
I'm a Farmville hater, sorry if that offends anyone. I really don't care if you planted a tree or gave killer rabbit to your neighbor. So please, for everyone else's sake, stop sending farmville requests or any application request for that matter.

Random Pages
"I bet we can get more fans than raging lazards" or "Chuck Norris fan page is the Chuck Norris of fan pages." Come on people...
What's even more stupid than the pages themselves are the people who send invites to them! Ok, if you want to join 800 pages and become statistics to some data mining web company, that's your business. But please, leave me out of it.

</facebook rampage>
~~

#2 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:40 PM

I am SOOOO SICK OF FARMVILLE INVITES!!! Oh my god people. If I wanted to play the stupid game I would play it. Also I agree on the photo tagging. I believe only those who are in the pics should be able to tag themselves. I just find facebook to be somewhat annoying and more and more like myspace now. =(
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#3 Guest_SongstressLenne_*

• Group: Guests*
  • Member No.:

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:42 PM

I would delete my farmville, but my mother would stab me with a fork....she takes it seriously.

Also I am noticing increased viruses from auto tagging. People really need to read up what applications they are accepting.

#4 User is offline   redx1 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:47 PM

View PostSka_Toranpetta, on Mar 19 2010, 02:40 PM, said:

I am SOOOO SICK OF FARMVILLE INVITES!!! Oh my god people. If I wanted to play the stupid game I would play it. Also I agree on the photo tagging. I believe only those who are in the pics should be able to tag themselves. I just find facebook to be somewhat annoying and more and more like myspace now. =(

There are ways of blocking the farmville invites. I finally figured out how to block ALL of them. My page has been so much cleaner ever since.

View PostSongstressLenne, on Mar 19 2010, 02:42 PM, said:

I would delete my farmville, but my mother would stab me with a fork....she takes it seriously.

Also I am noticing increased viruses from auto tagging. People really need to read up what applications they are accepting.

Your mom takes Farmville very seriously. Sorta kinda scary. And yes, people have no idea what applications they are allowing nowadays. Enjoy your virus, I hope it's tasty :D
~~

#5 User is offline   Trini 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 4588

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:57 PM

It's not just Farmville, it's all those random app invites. I don't want to join your sorority, be a part of your mob/gang/cult, I rather like being human and would rather not let you bite me, and unless I can get some real cash from this, I'm not working for your cafe. -__- I agree with everything already said about phototagging and as far as random pages go, I will say, I abuse the become a fan button. The one thing that gets me though are those invites to join a group like "If 1k people join, everyone gets a free laptop~!" and then request that you add everyone on your friends list. Sorry, but I'd rather not be spammed to death. The main thing I cannot stand about FB though is the layout. I don't care what my besties' horoscopes are, nor who's stalking them, what their quiz results are, or what their score on Bejeweled is. I just want to see status messages and occasionally photos or notes. Mainly the stat messages. Nothing else. ><
dA | tumblr

'14 Cosplays:
Bianchi - KHR | Wooper gijinka or kigurumi - Pokemon | Chocolove - Shaman King (?) | Sable Able gijinka - Animal Crossing (?) | Bouffalant gijinka - Pokemon (?)

Self-proclaimed Ramune Connoisseur

#6 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6522

Posted 19 March 2010 - 05:18 PM

I had a Facebook page. Didn't work out too well for me. I pulled the plug after a month.
The Special Needs & ADA Compliance Department is dedicated to making sure that nobody has to miss anything that ACen has to offer because of a physical challenge or medical condition.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Compliments? Complaints?

Visit us at http://acen.org/cont...-ada-compliance or send an email to adacompliance-dh@acen.org

Number of ACens attended: 15, Number of years on staff: 6, 2010 Staff MVP Award

#7 User is offline   wolfedragon 

• Registration DH
  • PipPip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 21692

Posted 19 March 2010 - 05:21 PM

I HATED getting all of the updates/notifications/crap from Farmville, horoscopes, etc. Now I end up blocking any kind of application request or update that I get. I enjoy playing certain apps but I set it up so that it doesn't tell the world what I'm doing with it. I hate the people who think everyone cares that they found something or whatever.
Questions about Registration? Email us at registration@ACen.org

Attendee 2008-2009
Registration Staff 2010
Assistant Department Head of Registration 2011-2014
Department Head of Registration 2015

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons - for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup"

#8 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 19 March 2010 - 05:34 PM

Forgive me, for I have sinned...

I am guilty of sending some notifications to my friends feed. HOWEVER, I have it set up so it doesn't just post notifications like "Diana is playing Zoo World/FarmVille/whatever!" every time I even open the app - instead, each app is set so that notifications are posted when I say they can. (Like rare stuff I've "found" in the app that friends can claim, for instance.) This way, I don't flood my friends' pages with 8-10 different notifications at a time (like one of them is apt to do at any given time of day - and I mean ANY time of day, I don't know when she sleeps). To that end, I don't spam my friends with app or group invites - especially since a few of them have hinted in the past that they don't have time for/don't want to play with apps. If it's a really good cause, then maybe, but otherwise I keep the invites to a minimum.

Also, I make it a point not to accept every single friend request I get. I know that with some apps, the fastest way to complete certain projects is to have as many friends as possible help out, whether you know them personally or not. (I'm pretty sure this is what my aforementioned friend has going on, too.) However, I'm of the mind that if I'm going to have friends on FB, then they're going to be actual friends and family. I don't add strangers simply because we happen to play the same game. The last thing I need is for my FB to look like a MySpace page.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#9 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 6130

Posted 19 March 2010 - 06:20 PM

I hate how I don't have a dislike button.

Or that I like something and have to sit there and get 30 emails about whatever it is that i like'd'd
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2007 - Present - Forums Manager
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

#10 User is offline   Panickitty125 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 46130

Posted 19 March 2010 - 06:28 PM

ugh i tell all my friends to stop with the damn farmville reauest and junk but if i don't check it for like a week i'll have like two pages worth of them
its insane
needs updating D:

#11 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:24 PM

FARMVILLE!!! D":<

I've deleted people off of my friend's list because they keep sending me app requests. I also deleted this one girl because I got tired of seeing her status updates.

But I have to say that the pages are hilarious. Even the random ones. I've joined some pretty hilarious ones, and have made a few myself.

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#12 User is offline   Panickitty125 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 46130

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:27 PM

View PostKii, on Mar 19 2010, 11:24 PM, said:

FARMVILLE!!! D":<

I've deleted people off of my friend's list because they keep sending me app requests. I also deleted this one girl because I got tired of seeing her status updates.

But I have to say that the pages are hilarious. Even the random ones. I've joined some pretty hilarious ones, and have made a few myself.

ha i love the random fan pages they make me laugh
needs updating D:

#13 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:39 PM

View Postredx1, on Mar 19 2010, 02:34 PM, said:

Friend suggestions

I really don't know half of the people I find in there. And if I do remember someone in there, I'll most likely never talk to them. Speaking of which, I should do a friend clean-out soon.

Photo Tagging

I'm not dumb enough to post such photos, but if I do like to put my photos from ACen and such on my profile because I want everyone to see your great costumes and ideas. You allowed me to take your photo, therefore it's an agreement between you and me that the photo is my property. I will use all my power to make sure it is responsibly handled. I rarely tag photos and when I do it's usually just friends and I never am caught doing such vices an activities so I have no worries.

Farmville Notifications

I saw an article from an interviewed Farmville user that it is your fault you don't turn off the notifications, but guess what? I block all app invites and I never see the things on my news feed ever again. The power is in your hands. Don't complain; do.

Random Pages

The pinacle of unoriginality on Facebook. It's always one million. A highly unrealistic number even on the internet. Of the 7 billion people, how many have internet? And how many of that use Facebook? I never see these groups break a million. Fan pages are fine, but becoming a fan of an orange just to beat out Lady Gaga? Come on. Oh, if I get this many people my sister will name her baby Megatron? Christ, how sad do you have to be to follow such internet petitions?
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#14 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:52 PM

I actually sort of like friend suggestions at times, people don't always have a facebook so searching is often a bit silly .

The pages that bug me the most are the silly "BECOME A FAN TO SEE SOMETHING TOTALLY NOT WORTH IT " . Fool me once, shame on you...
I have a Bookface I have a Bird Sound my snark level is over 9000 : ]
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Compa- hyperdimension nep nep
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#15 User is offline   faceyMcfaceless 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 27741

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:11 PM

there's things people actually LIKE about facebook?
I like anime.

#16 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19670

Posted 20 March 2010 - 12:10 PM

Honestly, I don't belong to any iffy groups or know iffy people...

But why do all my friend suggestions show what look like Asian strippers with stripper names?
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#17 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 20 March 2010 - 05:04 PM

Some of my friend suggestions are questionable - I'm pretty sure some of them are just related to whatever apps or groups or whatever I've joined. BUT, on the upside, it has been my link to friends whom I had no idea even had a FB, and whom I hadn't even connected with in years. So there is a plus side to it.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#18 User is offline   wolfedragon 

• Registration DH
  • PipPip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 21692

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:41 PM

I randomly decided that I was tired of all the random groups, applications, and friends I had acquired over my time with facebook. I just spent the last hour unfriending people who I realized that I really didn't know, removing myself from any groups that didn't interest me, and getting rid of all of the applications that I had "authorized" (mostly random personality quizzes). It was monotonous and annoying, but I feel better for it. I now only have 3 applications that I use/play regularly, and am down to friends that I actually know. I feel that it was a very well spent hour.
Questions about Registration? Email us at registration@ACen.org

Attendee 2008-2009
Registration Staff 2010
Assistant Department Head of Registration 2011-2014
Department Head of Registration 2015

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons - for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup"

#19 User is offline   redx1 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:28 AM

Yeah I ended up doing that too. The facebook cleanout was pretty awesome. Now the only people on my friends list are people I talk to regularly and pages I truly want updates about.

Makes for a much cleaner, sweeter Facebook experience.
~~

#20 User is offline   -JUNK- 

• Forum Hell Raven
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19299

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:15 PM

yes ive found my farmville haters ^__^

i swear Desu and DomoFile were addicted to it for a few months

" SO IS IT THAT TIME OF YEAR ALREADY T O HARVEST YOUR DARN CORN?"

and my computer illiterate mom TwT

MOM:"Erica can you come over and teach me how to use facebook i just got use to the way it looks and now its differnt."

ME: "uh mom, the format changed its still the freakng same just find the buttons in difefernt places."

2 weeks later...
MOM:"how do you change your picture?"

ME: "well mom do you even have a freaking digital camera?"

MOM:"no"

ME: -headdesk-

This post has been edited by -JUNK-: 21 March 2010 - 06:17 PM

ACen 15"

*~Proud Supporter of the GBLT Community.~*

#21 User is offline   Jello 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 3087

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:57 PM

I love facebook... im so addicted... its disgusting lol...

I used to be big into farmville, but lately sometimes when i try to log in, it crashes my internet so i havent been playing it and am tempted to just remove it all together. I only use a couple apps, and I try not to spam people with it because I hate getting spammed with stuff as well....

as for friend suggestions, same thing If i wanted to be so and so's friend, i would be.. stop suggesting people i have no interest in friending :(

also people who become fans of 80 billion things a day... need to stop

ACen Registration Staff 2006-2009, 2012-2013
Assistant Department Head of Registration 2010 - 2011
Youmacon VAT Staff 2008-2012

#22 User is offline   nouseforaname 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18421

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:13 PM

I don't like how my webcam won't let me post videos on anyone's wall anymore and the pop notification during chat fails to work through Firefox but everything mentioned above - I don't like. Plus people who join a crap load of groups.
Mighta been a time when I loved her too but you take that away, you always been the one.

ACen cosplay 2012:
Bioshock - Sander Cohen
Fullmetal Alchemist - Greedling

#23 User is offline   Animexcel 

• Production Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 80

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:26 PM

Oh those things? they don't bug me cuz I don't use Farmville, I don't get tagged that much, I don't look for random pages, and friend suggestions are sometimes useful if I actually know a person from one of my friends and if there random people then whatever, you know?
ACen Mascot Artist

#24 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:30 PM

View Postnouseforaname, on Mar 23 2010, 10:13 PM, said:

I don't like how my webcam won't let me post videos on anyone's wall anymore and the pop notification during chat fails to work through Firefox but everything mentioned above - I don't like. Plus people who join a crap load of groups.

That always annoys me, but it falls under the inane groups gripe up there I feel. I mean, how many groups can there be? Thousands?
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#25 User is offline   toynbees 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 11360

Posted 26 March 2010 - 04:21 PM

I hate any sort of invitation... such as apps, events and other such bullsh*t.
But I do like fan pages! They amuse me greatly. But there's always a line that must be drawn.
The fan pages that say "Become a fan to see this picture" make me RAGE so hard like you wouldn't believe.
ACen '14 cosplay ideas:
akane owari (dangan ronpa)
cm punk ??? (wwe)

#26 User is offline   bovinedefenestration 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 51847

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:12 PM

I need to eliminate status/app notifications, but other than that, I haven't had much of a problem with Facebook. It let me get back in touch with a number of people I hadn't seen in years. I do need to clean out my friends list.

I do lock it down as much as possible, though. There is no visible contact or detailed personal information anywhere, and I've set it so nobody can see pictures that have me in them. I also don't post anything too questionable, allow myself to be found in searches, or use apps. I also clean my "wall" out regularly to keep available information to a minimum, and get it off of Facebook's servers in case I want to deactivate the account. Seems they keep all the information you put in there unless you delete it before you deactivate, so I won't take the chance of ever leaving it there in the first place.

If you treat it with care and caution, I think it's a great tool to get in contact with people. I just don't trust the tubes enough to be anything but paranoid about it, myself.
YearOldSushi at ACen and IRC, usually just Sushi. Everything I touch becomes tainted by FAIL, making me the Lady and Mistress of FAIL. I am determined to use this power for...something?

#27 User is offline   green clover 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 53068

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:43 PM

Ahhh, people after my own heart. My friends created an account for me. I never moved so fast when I was deleting it.

#28 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 13139

Posted 18 April 2010 - 10:05 PM

I'm sick of nicholas pollitt, and his filthy smexual comments ;D
Anime: hell girl, & trigun. Manga: Soul eater. / Games: Dragon Age, DCUO, batman, & soulsilver.i'm a rini fan boypokemon friend code: 2836 0346 5412 battle anytime, need to get my gold/silver code. wii code: 0061 4530 7677 7629. XBL: hitherkasin & PSN ID: kasin13in 2011 i will be cosplaying as gene starwind & kouga, also w/ my daughter we will do pokemon trainer red/ash & eevee/pikachu. in 2012 we will do hit girl & big daddy, also mini moon & tuxedo mask. in 2013 we will do wizardmon & kari with a gatomon plushie (ty teko!) also mystic gohan & pan. I will also do green ranger some day.

#29 User is offline   mmy-sama 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 3465

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:14 PM

I used to kinda like myspace, I was even getting pretty used to it, but then everybody switched to facebook. I don't really understand what is the point of facebook. I know it's run by a data mining company, so I try to feed it false data. I know there was this one time when an article on ReadWriteWeb somehow got to the top of the google search page for the term "facebook login" and hundreds of people went to that article thinking it was facebook (I guess they where all feeling lucky) and left funny messages highlighting their frustration at not being on facebook. It was a bit depressing really.

Basically, using facebook is like going through life with you parents, teachers, and future employers looking over your shoulder, criticizing everything you do. You get tagged in some photo in which you laying on the floor with a bottle of ecerclear, and all your future employers will see it ad not want to employ you.
Anonymous died for your signs.

#30 User is offline   Harajuku 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 29795

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:21 PM

Face book was fine before they changed the layout. Now its dumb. =/
-~- Cosplay -~-
-~- Human Death Knight Tier 10 ( World of Warcraft ) / 95% complete -~-
-~- Arthas lies supine, the shattered remnants of Frostmourne beside him. He starts as the ghost of Terenas Menethil materializes over him, and the characteristic blue glow dissipates from his eyes. As Terenas kneels next to him, Arthas places a hand on his father's chest.
Arthas Menethil: Father! Is it... over?
Terenas lays a comforting hand on Arthas' gauntlet.
Terenas Menethil II: At long last. No king rules forever, my son.
Arthas Menethil: I see... only darkness... before... me...
Arthas' eyes roll back into his head and he dies, his hand falling to the ground. Terenas closes his son's eyes and gently lays him on the ground as Tirion walks in.
Terenas Menethil II: Without its master's command, the restless Scourge will become an even greater threat to this world.
Terenas stands, facing Tirion.
Terenas Menethil II: Control must be maintained. There must always be a Lich King. -~-

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users