• This topic is locked

Guys+crossplay=sexy? Really?

#1 User is offline   jackspicer 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 3522

Posted 17 March 2010 - 09:44 AM

Ok so I'm male, and while I have considered Crossplay outside the forums I've NEVER mentioned it until recently. Basically Here's my thing My girlfriend thinks it would be sexy if i dressed like a girl, and other girls [her friends] have echoed that idea.

Why do girls think guys dressing as girls is sexy? What makes it sexy? Do you need feminine features to do it well? [I've been told with certain costumes i've worn i looked girly, which i didn't take as an insult]

Discuss, just no offensiveness
Proud member of the Bishe Brigade

#2 User is offline   Neko_master_Luna 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 28689

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:15 AM

Kind of like yaoi would seem like it was for gay guys only, yet it has a girl cult fallowing. The best way I can describe it, a rock band member with long hair & mascara is awesome. Some times it's too much, but as for cosplay, well, we love seeing are favorite guys abused. It's just a turn on. Though I find it's funny an awesome if some one dresses as a guy in drag from in episode. I once got a picture of a Zelgadis in drag from the episode were no men were allowed in town. I saw a Xellos from that episode too, but couldn't get his picture.
Currently writing a book.

#3 User is offline   Kitsu-chan 

• 2+2 = 5
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 6190
  • Location:Hiding from my Sewing machine. Shh... Don't tell it I'm under the bed.

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:25 AM

You don't have to look feminine to crossplay, but it does help. I'm more of a butch androgynous.

Any chance you could tell use which character?
Resident Ladyboy of the ACen Forums

Sadly won't be attending ACen 2012. So I'll be taking my cosplay up a notch for 2013.

#4 User is offline   this_chick25 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 7489

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:58 AM

I agree that knowing which character(s) you are considering would help.

Frankly, I think it's cute and sometimes funny (i.e. "lolitas with beards") when guys crossplay. When they can really pull off looking like a girl, especially a really cute girl, it's amazing--but that's more from a makeup artist-type of standpoint.

Androgyny is cooler, imo. I love having to gender-check.
Acen Attendee since 2001
Wondering how much to save for ACen? Click here!
FREE! Cosplay construction and materials advice--get yours now!
Never cause more mischief than that which is necessary for success.
Sig invade'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd by Alk <3

#5 User is offline   Sweet Sunshine 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 19529

Posted 17 March 2010 - 01:27 PM

*nod nod* Yep, totally sexy. :o

....Weeeeeeeell, I suppose it's a case-by-case basis mostly. Just like sometimes a girl in a bikini is sexy and soooometimes it's not. XD Just like it depends on the girl, the attractiveness of the crossplay would have to depend on the cosplayer themselves.

I'm only thinking of one particular instance *cough*boyfriend*cough* but I'd say feminine features definitely help. :o Can't say it's too attractive to run around in a skirt and heels when you have huge biceps and the beard of a biker king. : |

#6 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:28 PM

Crossplaying has the potential to be sexy, but it's not always a given. Plus, that term is pretty relative, as one person's "sexy" is another's "ugh, I wouldn't touch that with a ten-foot-pole." I've seen some pretty darn convincing crossplayers, too - I saw one picture on DA of a Kuja cosplayer, and a friend and I were looking at this picture for, no joke, 10 minutes trying to determine if the cosplayer was male or female (there was nothing on the profile or other pics indicating as such). It took me spotting an Adam's apple before we realized the cosplayer's gender. Does it help if the crossplayer looks like the opposite gender? Sure. Is it mandatory? Not at all.

Oh, and I've dressed my husband up as Wall Market Cloud before. We have the professional photo to prove it. It was awesome. Can't say he'd pass for a woman, per se, but with a little makeup work from my friends (he stoutly refused to have his nails polished), he did look pretty!

It really depends on the costume that they believe would look sexy on you, and how flattering it actually is. (I liken this to shopping for wedding gowns - you may believe that one style of dress will look marvelous on you, only to find that it actually doesn't flatter your figure at all.)
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#7 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:37 PM

Also she may think its sexy because of the strong feminine features making the "pretty boy" kind of thing. Some girls really fall for guys that are "pretty boys" and she probably wants to see you like that. :)
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#8 User is offline   Trini 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 4588

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:45 PM

Crossplay can be supa sexy, but like everyone said, it depends. For instance, if you don't have legs that would look good in a short skirt, please don't wear a mini. I've seen some really totally-identifiable-as-male looking guys pull off a female character near flawlessly and they were awesome. It all just depends.
dA | tumblr

'14 Cosplays:
Bianchi - KHR | Wooper gijinka or kigurumi - Pokemon | Chocolove - Shaman King (?) | Sable Able gijinka - Animal Crossing (?) | Bouffalant gijinka - Pokemon (?)

Self-proclaimed Ramune Connoisseur

#9 User is offline   redx1 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 20031

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:49 PM

hahaha!

My gorilla legs do not work in a skirt :P

There are those who can crossplay, and those that shouldn't even think about it.
~~

#10 User is offline   this_chick25 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:27 PM

Wax does wonders (if you're willing). :lol:

I've seen some guys with bushlegs for REAL that are actually pretty skirt-worthy after a mighty Nairdown.
Acen Attendee since 2001

#11 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 17 March 2010 - 05:50 PM

Crossplay is never "sexy" to me.

It's awesome and interesting and I'm totally for it, but it isn't "sexy".

It's just a matter of personal preference.

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#12 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 17 March 2010 - 05:54 PM

I've heard this too, nor do I really get it.

I know, I'll never crossplay. NEVER. lol Not to mention, who wants to see me do that? Heck, I'd couldn't even pull it off if I tried. lol
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#13 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 41763

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:08 PM

I am crossplaying for the first time ever and its mostly because I've decided to throw gender morals to the curb this Acen and just do something fun. I think the biggest reason is that I decided to do a cosplay from Touhou, the game series that is ALL female except for one lone male who doesn't even appear in the games himself. So It kinda had to be a female character, not that I am complaining since Suika is freakin' amazing!

If this one pulls off well i think I may do other Touhou Crossplays in the future ( hopefully CHEAPER ones ).
The Oni of Taiyaki
Cosplays: ACen 2013
Persona: Pyro Jack

#14 User is offline   this_chick25 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:11 PM

View PostXenoBlade, on Mar 17 2010, 06:54 PM, said:

I've heard this too, nor do I really get it.

I know, I'll never crossplay. NEVER. lol Not to mention, who wants to see me do that? Heck, I'd couldn't even pull it off if I tried. lol

::patpat:: Xeno, rest assured that a dress would spontaneously combust before it actually came in contact with your body if you ever tried to put one on.

This post has been edited by this_chick25: 17 March 2010 - 08:12 PM

Acen Attendee since 2001

#15 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 18 March 2010 - 02:31 PM

Honestly it depends on the person but generally just look at anime men. Most have alot of feminine features which some women are attracted to so the thought of a guy dressing up as a girl can be sexy to some.

Not for me. I like my men in men's cosplay. I'd take my man dressed up as Spike over Faye ANY day.

Also just a word of advice: If you don't feel comfortable with it, don't do it just because they want you to. Now if you feel like you'd have fun with it, just try it. =3

Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#16 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2010 - 02:49 PM

View Postthis_chick25, on Mar 17 2010, 09:11 PM, said:

::patpat:: Xeno, rest assured that a dress would spontaneously combust before it actually came in contact with your body if you ever tried to put one on.

Gee thanks. lol

(but what does that say about me? lol XD)
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#17 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 18 March 2010 - 02:51 PM

View PostXenoBlade, on Mar 18 2010, 03:49 PM, said:

Gee thanks. lol

(but what does that say about me? lol XD)

Please don't go into the womens dept at a clothing store @__@ *imagines the place bursting in flames* Oh dear. :lol:
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#18 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2010 - 02:57 PM

View PostSka_Toranpetta, on Mar 18 2010, 03:51 PM, said:

Please don't go into the womens dept at a clothing store @__@ *imagines the place bursting in flames* Oh dear. :lol:

*devious smile*
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo

#19 User is offline   HaruHE 

• Calendar Angel
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 10773

Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:02 PM

I should probably have something to share about this but....For some reason nothing is coming to me, maybe I'm just losing it.
Once more returned to the forums. 2013 ideas:
Hieda No Akyu: Project Touhou
Shadow Yukiko Amagi: Persona 4
Kyouko Sakura (Magic form): Magi Madoka Magica

#20 User is offline   Aiko☆Noble 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 22845

Post icon  Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:55 PM

I dunno, I don't really find it "sexy", as others have said. I mean,
it's just a little confusing to me. The "sexy" part, that is. If you want
to crossplay, crossplay your heart out, I think that's awesome. But I would
never be attracted to a guy if he dressed up like a chick. Unless I was a lesbian? I don't know!?

The way I see it is, why would something I am attracted to be even more
appealing if it pretended to be something I'm not attracted to? ?_? Idgi.

ACen '12
Gamzee Makara (Homestuck)
Prospit!Gamzee (Homestuck)
God Tier!John (Homestuck)

#21 User is offline   jackspicer 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:42 AM

View PostKitsu-chan, on Mar 17 2010, 12:25 PM, said:

You don't have to look feminine to crossplay, but it does help. I'm more of a butch androgynous.

Any chance you could tell use which character?

I was hoping I'd get your opinion too ^_^

I wouldn't be doing a specific character, just dressing as a girl :blush:

#22 User is offline   jackspicer 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:52 AM

View Postthis_chick25, on Mar 17 2010, 12:58 PM, said:

I agree that knowing which character(s) you are considering would help.

Frankly, I think it's cute and sometimes funny (i.e. "lolitas with beards") when guys crossplay. When they can really pull off looking like a girl, especially a really cute girl, it's amazing--but that's more from a makeup artist-type of standpoint.

Androgyny is cooler, imo. I love having to gender-check.

Im not androgynous, I don't think :mellow:

But, umm, no gender check :blink:

View PostSweet Sunshine, on Mar 17 2010, 02:27 PM, said:

*nod nod* Yep, totally sexy. :o

....Weeeeeeeell, I suppose it's a case-by-case basis mostly. Just like sometimes a girl in a bikini is sexy and soooometimes it's not. XD Just like it depends on the girl, the attractiveness of the crossplay would have to depend on the cosplayer themselves.

I'm only thinking of one particular instance *cough*boyfriend*cough* but I'd say feminine features definitely help. :o Can't say it's too attractive to run around in a skirt and heels when you have huge biceps and the beard of a biker king. : |

LMAO! Your Bf is a good crossplayer [So is Kitsu] I just don't know about me

View PostGITS SAC Motoko, on Mar 17 2010, 04:37 PM, said:

Also she may think its sexy because of the strong feminine features making the "pretty boy" kind of thing. Some girls really fall for guys that are "pretty boys" and she probably wants to see you like that. :)

Not probably, She does Xp

View PostTaiyakiZero, on Mar 17 2010, 07:08 PM, said:

I am crossplaying for the first time ever and its mostly because I've decided to throw gender morals to the curb this Acen and just do something fun. I think the biggest reason is that I decided to do a cosplay from Touhou, the game series that is ALL female except for one lone male who doesn't even appear in the games himself. So It kinda had to be a female character, not that I am complaining since Suika is freakin' amazing!

If this one pulls off well i think I may do other Touhou Crossplays in the future ( hopefully CHEAPER ones ).

Good luck at your first Crossplay ^_^

Let me know how it goes for you

View PostSka_Toranpetta, on Mar 18 2010, 03:31 PM, said:

Honestly it depends on the person but generally just look at anime men. Most have alot of feminine features which some women are attracted to so the thought of a guy dressing up as a girl can be sexy to some.

Not for me. I like my men in men's cosplay. I'd take my man dressed up as Spike over Faye ANY day.

Also just a word of advice: If you don't feel comfortable with it, don't do it just because they want you to. Now if you feel like you'd have fun with it, just try it. =3

Nah, It's not peer pressure. I only cosplay what i want. If I don't like it I pass, BUT I do kinda wanna try it

View PostXenoBlade, on Mar 18 2010, 03:57 PM, said:

*devious smile*

I'll go get Teko and the camera. Have at it Xeno

#23 User is offline   jackspicer 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:55 AM

View PostKhemia, on Mar 18 2010, 06:02 PM, said:

I should probably have something to share about this but....For some reason nothing is coming to me, maybe I'm just losing it.

Aww, Don't say that Haru [I think i will always know you as Haru, I hope that doesnt bother you. If if does I'll try to stop] I'm glad you and Kitsu made it here at least if you don't know what to say now you can give me pointers later :thumbup:

#24 User is offline   jackspicer 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:00 AM

Thanks Everyone for your opinions. While this wont affect my decision the insights are nice, at some point I WILL crossplay and I'll let my Bishie Brigade buddies [heh, an alliteration] know how it turns out, and anyone else that i "Know" that may care

Again Thanks.

Some follow up for the girls/guys that think its sexy, why? what makes it sexy to you?

#25 User is offline   Mr. Robot 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 9484

Posted 21 March 2010 - 05:18 PM

$0.02 (Although probably more like a $1.03 by the time I'm done, lol) from a guy who has crossplayed:

I think what girls like about guys dressing as girls is the willingness to step into their shoes, if you will. Dressing up as a girl in cosplay (Or for a special occasion such as powderpuff cheer leading at -your high school or something like that) is an important distinction from doing so like a cross-dresser would because for most guys that do it, its not a lifestyle or preference (And even if it is, this isn't immediately obvious nor a good assumption at a convention). In effect then, they simply enjoy that that there is a guy who isn't afraid to step out and experience what its like to wear a skirt, dress, high heels, or whatever for a day or weekend. This is probably because girl's generally care far less about who the clothes they wear are meant for then guys do, especially when it comes to doing something like cosplay. They only care that they like the outfit. Guys on the other hand are traditionally far more conscious about what they wear, so when you get one willing to go out on a limb, they tend to find it intriguing.

I do not think that most girls would find it "sexy" though. I think its more of an innocent appreciation far and wide, but that depends on the girl in question and the cosplayer in question. I am making the assumption here that most girls that enjoy a crossplaying male do so because the male made a reasonable attempt at the costume. I don't think many girls appreciate Man-Faye in the least, much less find him "sexy". If a guy were to actually shave himself completely down (*cringe*) and do a decent job with the costume, I think girls would enjoy it whether he actually looked like a girl or not (Not likely in this case). How physically attracted a girl would be from there depends on the girl. Some girls are flat out against a guy crossplaying at all, even if they are willing to dress up as a guy themselves. Others might be into a guy that can actually fool them into thinking they are a girl. By and large though, I doubt many girls would make an advance on you just because you're wearing a skirt. Your girlfriend is probably just tickled that she can get you to wear a dress and saying she thinks its sexy because she is already your girlfriend. If you weren't a couple already, I highly doubt the two of you would end up together simply because you decided to crossplay once.

Personally, I cosplay to have fun. Cosplaying to me is completely outside of regular life, and something to have fun with in a setting where that's the norm and quite frankly the only place it will be. Its for that reason that I don't care if the character in question wears a tuxedo and dress shoes or a mini skirt and thigh-high boots, I'm doing it to have fun (Which, for crossplaying, is for both the costume and the "lol that's a guy!"). I think there are certain guidelines to consider when cosplaying girls though. I would never cosplay a girl that I can't make a reasonable shot at the costume. I'm small enough that I can get away with cosplaying girls with the torso region covered, but I would never do someone scantily clad unless I lost a good 20-30 pounds (And even then I would probably need extra incentive of the bribe or bet variety...). I think there is a point at which girls shouldn't cosplay certain girl characters either, but that line to me comes a lot sooner for a guy than a girl since we're infringing on their territory so to speak. I still wouldn't look anything like a girl mind you, just like I don't now, but most people I pass at a con would more than likely see that I made a reasonable attempt, and would likely appreciate the cosplay. If my fellow con-goers wouldn't deem my crossplay in good taste and/or not appreciate the costume, then its really not any fun for me (Nor worth wearing girls clothing) when I've got plenty of cosplays for my own sex that are far more comfortable and fun to wear around as well. I have fun crossplaying because other people can get a chuckle, like the costume, and appreciate the attempt, which is I think to some degree why anybody cosplays at all. If you knew ahead of time everyone was going to not like your cosplay, you probably wouldn't do it. That isn't going to happen with the overwhelming majority of people (Only the minority cosplay elitists) when you stick to your own sex, but it is something you need to be mindful of when crossplaying as a girl. If you're doing a Man-Faye or a Sumo Sailor Scout, you're probably not going to be well received. If you aren't over 220 pounds or so and maybe make an effort to create a slight curve here and there if you're especially box-shaped, the you're probably in good taste and most people are going to like it that are open to the idea in the first place. Basically, just apply common decency and sense. You'll know you're doing good if a girl compliments that you have done the character more justice than some girls do. ;)

This post has been edited by Mr. Robot: 21 March 2010 - 06:26 PM

#26 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 41763

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:54 PM

View PostMr. Robot, on Mar 21 2010, 06:18 PM, said:

Mr. Robot's Post Inserted Here

Epic post ftw!

I agree with most of what he says about cosplaying ^_^ I always enjoy a good cosplay that people do if they are truly doing a good job at it and are enjoying it themselves!

You can't enjoy someone's cosplay if they themselves are not enjoying it o_o

Words of wisdom!
The Oni of Taiyaki
Cosplays: ACen 2013
Persona: Pyro Jack

#27 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 21 March 2010 - 08:11 PM

View PostXenoBlade, on Mar 18 2010, 02:57 PM, said:

*devious smile*

I just imagined you smiling deviously while woman's panties are set aflame on all sides.
This is wrong for two reasons:
1) You're smiling.
2) You're in the panties section.

All of that lace..ruined!

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#28 User is offline   jackspicer 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:52 AM

Good points mr. robot

[though her saying she thinks me crossplaying would be sexy isn't swaying me. She knows I'll only do it be cause i want to regardless of outside influences, so in that aspect i disagree. But you don't know her like i do, and she [and a few others] said id make a good looking crossplayer [not sure why though to be honest]. but, I digress, the crossplaying was my idea not hers]

I'm getting some good opinions, but still not quite what I was looking for

#29 User is offline   this_chick25 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:11 AM

It really depends on what you are considering doing a crossplay of.

So who are you thinking of?
Acen Attendee since 2001

#30 User is offline   jackspicer 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:14 AM

View Postthis_chick25, on Mar 22 2010, 09:11 AM, said:

It really depends on what you are considering doing a crossplay of.

So who are you thinking of?

No specific character. But it like a j-rock/punk girl

[Im just wondering for those that may think it IS sexy, why? from a girl's pov]

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users