[size="3"]Candy rulez all!!!!![/size]

#32 User is offline   redx1 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 20031

Posted 13 February 2011 - 07:22 PM

NOTICE!

The map is currently displaying information for the 2010 convention. The current map does not reflect the 2011 convention. There will be some major updates happening with it. I will update this thread when it happens :)
~~

#33 User is offline   Toreizhoukeizu 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 59712

Posted 24 March 2011 - 01:15 AM

Thanks a bunch! Woot for dennys LOL
ACEN 2012(◕‿◕)

Visual Kei style outfit ♪♪♪
☆▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩●۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬☆
I plan on ninja'ing pocky off at least 34 people:)
Many other plans in the works ^_^

#34 User is offline   Millions_Knives 

• Masquerade Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 8636

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:04 AM

i still love this map
it is so useful to new ppl!
best thread youve done red
bump bump bump
the standard walk around vid has not shown up
so here is a quick one GL

This post has been edited by Millions_Knives: 28 March 2011 - 02:35 PM

want to learn about cosplay materials? click here->my youtube cosplay tips and tricks<-click here

#35 User is offline   cupcake 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 30462

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:56 AM

I hope this map gets updated soon, I have a few out-of-town friends staying in my hotel room who would find this extraordinarily helpful. I would as well, for use of the cosplay meetup locations if I decide to bring my Nikon D90 camera.

Edit: Ever consider adding in Mitsuwa? I know it's far away, but it's the nearest Japanese mall, and con-goers typically get lost trying to find it when they're unfamiliar with our area.

This post has been edited by cupcake: 02 May 2011 - 11:37 AM

feel free to check my Deviant Art account <3 http://xim0nfir3x.deviantart.com/
find me on FB: http://www.facebook.com/CupcakesnLove

#36 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 6912

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:01 PM

View Postcupcake, on 02 May 2011 - 10:56 AM, said:

Edit: Ever consider adding in Mitsuwa? I know it's far away, but it's the nearest Japanese mall, and con-goers typically get lost trying to find it when they're unfamiliar with our area.

It's several miles from the con site to Mitsuwa Marketplace, which is right near the corner of Arlington Heights Road and Algonquin Road. The best way to get there by public transportation is Pace Bus 606, which runs seven days a week from Rosemont, right by the marketplace, and all the way to Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg.

#37 User is offline   The Archfiend 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 1145

Posted 14 May 2011 - 03:29 PM

View Postdorkatlarge, on 06 May 2011 - 08:01 PM, said:

It's several miles from the con site to Mitsuwa Marketplace, which is right near the corner of Arlington Heights Road and Algonquin Road. The best way to get there by public transportation is Pace Bus 606, which runs seven days a week from Rosemont, right by the marketplace, and all the way to Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg.

*Ahem*

http://www.pacebus.c...es/606sched.pdf

The stop at Arlington Heights Road and Algonquin is best, BTW. Keep in mind that the 606
only runs every hour or so on weekends.
Chris Krolczyk
Security/IRT Staff, 2003-5

Further proof of my degeneracy can be found at: http://the-archfiend.livejournal.com/ or http:the-archfiend.blogspot.com/

#38 User is offline   Kelticdragonfly 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 60313

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:19 AM

This would be so helpful to me for the 2011 convention. Is there an updated map somewhere? Thanks much!

View Postredx1, on 13 February 2011 - 07:22 PM, said:

NOTICE!

The map is currently displaying information for the 2010 convention. The current map does not reflect the 2011 convention. There will be some major updates happening with it. I will update this thread when it happens :)

#39 User is offline   redx1 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2011 - 04:03 PM

I've asked someone else to take the over the map since I'm no longer ACen staff. Unfortunately, I don't think it's ever happened. Good news is, the restaurants and most locations have not moved. No schedules are listed though. If someone would like to update this map, I'll gladly give you the map file or give you permissions to make edits.

Sorry guys. I would update the map, but I don't have too many of the schedules and stuff anymore.
~~

#40 User is offline   noodlenaut 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 61635

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:22 PM

This was a great idea. Thank you so much! <3
witty catchphrase

#41 User is offline   NothingButAsh 

• Guest Handlers Staff
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 61656

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:28 AM

This is such a cool idea. I once visited friends who live in Rosemont, and my morning jog took me past most of these places. I think I stopped in Dominicks for a bottle of water. xD It's only just now that I realize how close I was to the convention center!!
There was a signature here. It's gone now.

#42 User is offline   redx1 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:26 PM

Since I'm no longer updating this map, it is now editable by the general public. I'm very glad people how found it useful :)

If someone wants to take ownership of the map, feel free to ask me. I'll gladly give it to you.

Happy updating!
~~

#43 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11017

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

If no one has taken over yet, I could try editing it up sometime before the con with new restaurant and local info as well as hotel/con center stuff. Not on staff so no idea which halls we have in DESCC, though an educated guess would say the same as last year. Probably a good educated guesstimate we're in A again, AND I finally know where the bathrooms there are. And how to get to the Expoteria took me long enough lol. With any luck I'll know for sure before editing so I'm not wasting time & putting out wrong info.

Since the Hamster Tunnel can be a bit intimidating your first few times around (bah, turns and offshoots), I could color the Hyatt-DESCC route one shade & make the offshoots another, with a little color code key. Like an in-game map. Or something. (My head knows what I mean at least.)
Special Needs/ADA Staff 2014 | Thurs-Sun @ DESCC Registration Hall
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

#44 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:18 AM

View Postchainedbyroses, on 11 March 2012 - 01:37 PM, said:

If no one has taken over yet, I could try editing it up sometime before the con with new restaurant and local info as well as hotel/con center stuff. Not on staff so no idea which halls we have in DESCC, though an educated guess would say the same as last year. Probably a good educated guesstimate we're in A again, AND I finally know where the bathrooms there are. And how to get to the Expoteria took me long enough lol. With any luck I'll know for sure before editing so I'm not wasting time & putting out wrong info.

Since the Hamster Tunnel can be a bit intimidating your first few times around (bah, turns and offshoots), I could color the Hyatt-DESCC route one shade & make the offshoots another, with a little color code key. Like an in-game map. Or something. (My head knows what I mean at least.)

I'll give the map a go. I've done some similar in the past. Until I get an idea of what is going on with the con specifically, I'll focus on some of the areas around the con.

I may need a little help from people locally to narrow down some of the finer details, such as I'm going to be seeking more details about The Park near Muvico.

EDIT 03/26: All hotels have been identified on the map with hotel info/reservation info and associated dining options listed. Moving onto The Park and additional eateries.

This post has been edited by rondo: 26 March 2012 - 08:01 AM

#45 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 6912

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:05 AM

To the person who added the Chicago Fire Oven to the map, thank you. It looks to be reasonably close to con hotels, and while its sandwiches seem rather expensive, at least it's not another steakhouse or hotel restaurant. I will strongly consider going there.

Maria's Mexican Restaurant is 1 or 2 blocks further south, at River Road and Foster Ave. If you use the survival map and zoom in, you can see it, but it doesn't have a specific note on the map. It's a slightly long walk, and it's not open for lunch on Saturday or Sunday. Even so, I walked there during ACen 2010, didn't pay too much, and enjoyed the food.

#46 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:41 PM

I'm gonna make sure I give this sucker a bit more meat to it in time for next year. The CFO caught my eye so I decided to show it since it was pretty close overall.

Thanks to others who also added to it when it came closer to teh con.

The Park, you disappointed me. I hope you have everything open by next year.

This post has been edited by rondo: 01 May 2012 - 01:44 PM

#47 User is offline   jenchan 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 30

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:48 AM

I had no idea this map existed. Great Idea! This is a much better one than I created "Anime Central Navigation"!

Has it been updated with details from this year (like restaurants that closed or venues)? Who's actively updating it?

Actually, since it's public, I'll add the Rosemont Theatre venue, where the Kalafina Concert will be. Thanks to the original author of this map. It's a useful tool!
Jenn
President of Japanese Anime People of Chicago, a local, independent Chicagoland anime club.
website- MyAnimeList - Tumblr
Probably the oldest member of the ST☆RISH fanclub.
Prince of Tennis ACen Cosplay Group Network on FACEBOOK

#48 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 57517

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

Has the map been Updated? I would love the map more if it would look like a regular paper map since since the Google Map is distraction... Oh shiny... the left side is helpful though. I shall have it print out for reference. Will it ever be in the Programing book? It would be helpful looking for places to eat.

This post has been edited by MsLovelyCookie: 13 April 2013 - 09:54 AM

I'm Just A Girl In The World
Take A Good Look At Me
Just Your Typical Prototype...

Registration Staff: 2012-2014

#49 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:37 PM

been wanting to update it but have been busy

#50 User is offline   jenchan 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:28 AM

View PostMsLovelyCookie, on 13 April 2013 - 09:53 AM, said:

Has the map been Updated? I would love the map more if it would look like a regular paper map since since the Google Map is distraction... Oh shiny... the left side is helpful though. I shall have it print out for reference. Will it ever be in the Programing book? It would be helpful looking for places to eat.

There has been some kind of map in the program book, but I'm not sure it had the photoshoot locations nor was it as detailed as this one. It would be difficult to print out this map, because there are some places on this map not centralized near the immediate convention area. There has also been a listing of local restaurants but really, who at ACen can afford Mortons or the Capital Grille? I did update the map with the Rosemont Theatre information, and some CTA information (added bus info and Taxi Info, edited parking info).

The items on the left (if you click on them) show the exact location as to why there is a map to the right.

I'll have to see what I can do about the printed version of this. I would not mind getting this to the masses.

This post has been edited by jenchan: 14 April 2013 - 06:29 AM

Jenn
President of Japanese Anime People of Chicago, a local, independent Chicagoland anime club.

#51 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 57517

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:39 AM

View Postjenchan, on 14 April 2013 - 06:28 AM, said:

There has been some kind of map in the program book, but I'm not sure it had the photoshoot locations nor was it as detailed as this one. It would be difficult to print out this map, because there are some places on this map not centralized near the immediate convention area. There has also been a listing of local restaurants but really, who at ACen can afford Mortons or the Capital Grille? I did update the map with the Rosemont Theatre information, and some CTA information (added bus info and Taxi Info, edited parking info).

The items on the left (if you click on them) show the exact location as to why there is a map to the right.

I'll have to see what I can do about the printed version of this. I would not mind getting this to the masses.

That would be good since I'm rooming with some people not familiar with the area and I have to tell them what is around for basic food needs. And a map does come in handy for those who are a visual person like me. If I haven't been to there I ask people all around just so I know I'm in going the right way. I need land marks like turn right on Main Street when you see Target. Then you will pass the Gas Station and Pizza Pizza is next to The Shoe Store.
I'm Just A Girl In The World
Take A Good Look At Me
Just Your Typical Prototype...

Registration Staff: 2012-2014

#52 User is offline   Purplegodess 

• MAPS Director & ACen Secretary
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 5803

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:47 PM

Last year there was a qr code on the dining guide page which had all the locations we listed on it placed on a google map.
Convention Officer:Secretary 2009-2014
MAPS Director
Artist Alley DH 2007-2008

Live like there is no tomorrow, and dream like you'll live forever...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#53 User is offline   jenchan 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:50 AM

View PostPurplegodess, on 14 April 2013 - 08:47 PM, said:

Last year there was a qr code on the dining guide page which had all the locations we listed on it placed on a google map.

That's great for people with smartphones, but not everyone has one, so a printed list would be nice. Also, cell phone service can be really hit or miss convention weekend, and rather than wait for a cell signal(even with the best phone and the best service), a paper listing does not require technology to read. There is still a certain novelty to the printed media.

I think the problem is (based on last year's convention book) all the high-end restaurants are mentioned, which isn't really helpful to the average con goer who cannot afford $20 a plate. I know most of the people I know would rather a $4 cheeseburger at Culvers than a $20 plate a Mortons.

Yes, those restaurants are on this map, but it's not limited to them.

What is the URL that the QR code linked too? I'd be interested in checking it out.

Do you have all the restaurants that are within the hotels listed? Some of them a reasonable, and I have been told they are good.

Perhaps we can coordinate and make "one map to rule them all".
Jenn

#54 User is offline   Purplegodess 

• MAPS Director & ACen Secretary
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 5803

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

View Postjenchan, on 15 April 2013 - 06:50 AM, said:

That's great for people with smartphones, but not everyone has one, so a printed list would be nice. Also, cell phone service can be really hit or miss convention weekend, and rather than wait for a cell signal(even with the best phone and the best service), a paper listing does not require technology to read. There is still a certain novelty to the printed media.

I think the problem is (based on last year's convention book) all the high-end restaurants are mentioned, which isn't really helpful to the average con goer who cannot afford $20 a plate. I know most of the people I know would rather a $4 cheeseburger at Culvers than a $20 plate a Mortons.

Yes, those restaurants are on this map, but it's not limited to them.

What is the URL that the QR code linked too? I'd be interested in checking it out.

Do you have all the restaurants that are within the hotels listed? Some of them a reasonable, and I have been told they are good.

Perhaps we can coordinate and make "one map to rule them all".

Sure, there's a full page of printed restaurants with price ranges phone numbers and other info on the same page the qr code is on. it was a supplement to the list for people who wanted to see the map. Its being redone atm because we added in all the places at the entertainment district too. It did list hotel foods and it listed everything from Mc Donalds to McCormick and Schmicks. We try to keep that list with close places and places that deliver, but there are decent meal deals within our hotels too that I think most people don't know about like the Hyatt offers highly discounted breakfast buffets. Ive eaten at most of the hotels now, and most of them are realllly good the double tree has this onion soup that actually is in a hollowed out onion and its sooooo good. Either way Ill work on diggin out that link an posting it here, we can make a map that expands on out from what we offer and work together. I think i didn't mention it early but the guidebook also had a dinning guide in it.
Convention Officer:Secretary 2009-2014
MAPS Director
Artist Alley DH 2007-2008

Live like there is no tomorrow, and dream like you'll live forever...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#55 User is offline   LhadyChloe 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 58924

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:16 AM

this map can be updated, theres a lot of fun things going on the rosemont entertainment center where muvico is
NAIB COSPLAY CLUB 2014 ROSTER
FRIDAY - Dynasty Warriors l SATURDAY - Lightning Returns l SUNDAY - Naruto
SELLING MY MANGA COLLECTION
SITE: http://naib-cosplay.webs.com
2013 - Final Fantasy XIII, Fairy Tail, One Piece l 2012 - Bleach , DGrayman, InuYasha l 2011 - Final Fantasy XI, One Piece, Code Geass l 2010 - Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy X, Naruto
YouTube l Tumblr l Instagram l Facebook l Twitter

#56 User is offline   jenchan 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

View PostLhadyChloe, on 26 April 2013 - 08:16 AM, said:

this map can be updated, theres a lot of fun things going on the rosemont entertainment center where muvico is

Are they directly related to ACen?
Jenn

#57 User is offline   shastacola85 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 58966

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:39 PM

Does anyone know if the tree patch is right between the tower and the loading docks? I am trying to figure out the location of that. . .
Artangel85's 2014 Cosplay List:
(Friday) Seras Victoria (Hellsing, Yellow OVA): 90%
(Saturday) Katara "old friends" (Avatar: The Last Airbender) 0%
(Sunday) Sophie Hatter (Howl's Moving Castle) 100%

#58 User is offline   Mistress of Ecclectia 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 62404

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:26 AM

View Postcupcake, on 02 May 2011 - 10:56 AM, said:

I hope this map gets updated soon, I have a few out-of-town friends staying in my hotel room who would find this extraordinarily helpful. I would as well, for use of the cosplay meetup locations if I decide to bring my Nikon D90 camera.

I live like three blocks away from Mitsuwa XD
I'd recommend getting whatever you want from there before the convention, like Thursday around noon. I'd imagine that it might get a little crowded on Friday, and a lot of the good stuff may be gone by then.

#59 User is offline   Wafflashizzles 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 62412

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:29 AM

I'll take a crack at updating this. I live in the area, so i'll fix all the outdated stuff/add new ones. I'll be done in a day or two.

#60 User is offline   Wafflashizzles 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 62412

Posted 10 May 2014 - 04:18 PM

OK.

i've been working on it for a day or two now and i'm a little over halfway done. I'll try my best to finish it by tomorrow.

So far, i've tried to remove all the defunct businesses and include the new ones. I've also tried to reduce clutter and standardize the format for stuff so information is easier to find. I still have to do the area north of the CTA station, but the con center area is more or less complete (with the exception of hotel restaurants.)

If you guys want anything added or think any information would be useful on the map, let me know, and i'll do my best to get it added.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users