Work Stories Did that REALLY happen?

#241 User is offline   Carnage_Black3 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 9167

Posted 27 March 2010 - 11:09 AM

Quick story from last night.

I finished taking care of a couple and they were leaving. The guy held open the door for another, mildly intoxicated, couple. He made a quick quip to the girl as she came in about her needing a thinker jacket since all the had on was some thin t-shirt-like sweatshirt over her dress. Upon hearing that, she screams, "Oh my god! Where's my jacket!" She proceeds to run out side to find the cab they had just left. She came back in a few moments later practically crying because the cab was gone and she had no idea what cab it was. She calls her friend to tell the person about it still crying. Eventually, they left. I still feel kinda sorry for her, but then again, this is why you either need to keep everything on you while drinking, or don't drink. Further proof I often only drink to ENJOY.
ACen 10 Reg Staffer
C-C-C-C-Combobreaker!

ACen 09 Gofer
ACen 08 Gofer
ACen 07 Gofer
ACen 06 Gofer
ACen 05 Gofer

#242 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:23 PM

So, interesting little tidbit from yesterday.

I'm finishing out the day by wiping stuff down in the medical wing, and Robert, one of my fellow cat-staffers, comes up from the main cat room. Ashley (our lead), Sally (who leads Animal Health), and I look up as he comes in.

Robert: "Okay, so I have this mom and her two kids in there. Her daughter wants me to catch a black cat for her."
Sally: "Okay, well, we have plenty of those."
Robert: "Well, yeah, but she wants me to catch one of the more skittish ones for her. Like Yon or Bookmark."
*pause*
Ashley: "Well, if they don't want to come to her, then they're not the cat she should be socializing with."
Robert: "Yeah, and I tried telling her that, but she wants me to catch them so she can try calming them down."
*us girls all do a mental facepalm*
Me: "Here's what you tell her, Robert. If those cats won't even come to us willingly, then there's no point. It's taken some of those cats months, if not years just to get used to us staffers and volunteers, and they see us every day." (And I'm not even kidding on that. We have cats who still won't approach us willingly even after being there for well over two years.) "If they haven't willingly approached her yet, then she's not going to be able to 'calm them down' on the fly. All they'll do is run and hide from her."

So he went back and told her that - apparently she wasn't too thrilled with that response. But hey, it's better to get a verbal reality check than end up getting hurt because a cat freaked out on you. I still have scars from cats like that, we don't need kids getting those, regardless of whose fault it was.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#243 User is offline   Ashori 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 10991

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:29 PM

View PostNeko_master_Luna, on Mar 27 2010, 11:37 AM, said:

Another theft story. Not my store, but the Waukegan store, fired over half of their staff right before they opened, because they had 13 I-pods taken, shouldn't do that before the stores is open. They know it's employees then. Not to mention they had the worse inventory in Walmart history this year.

I hear so many bad things about the Waukegan store from my co-workers and customers that it makes me so glad I don't work or shop there. I seriously am not shocked about that story happening.
Cosplay Status: Maya Kitajima - Bianca Mask (Pirate Form - 100%; Glass Mask), Lucy Heartfilia (2%; Fairy Tail), Castle of Hearts Alice Liddell (100%; Kuni no Alice series)
My dA | My YouTube Page | My FF.Net Page

#244 User is offline   Kouin 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 30020

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:36 PM

Well, the most memorable day I remember is about a week after Michael Jackson died.

I was talking to a coworker...and this conversation could not have gone better...

"Mike, have you heard about Michael Jackson?"

"Yeah man, I can't believe that, it's the craziest thing."

"Did you hear how he died?"

"No, but I heard he died eating 12 year-old nuts."

Then the store got really akwardly quiet for about a minute. Ahhhh...good times with Big Mike.
Left hand of the Air Up There, Tritonal Nation - we are about to be airborne.

See you there?
Tritonal @ Vision in Chicago, IL, US on May 1
Anime Central 13 in Rosemont, IL, US on May 14-16 (Roxas (Twilight) - Kingdom Hearts)
Above & Beyond @ Colourfest in Glasgow, UK on June 5

last.fm | deviantArt
Tune of the moment: Dave Dresden & Mikael Johnston feat. Nadia Ali - That Day (Walk Away) [Tritonal's Air Up There Remix]

#245 User is offline   ZomgBlue 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 29826

Posted 30 March 2010 - 02:25 AM

I work at a groom salon so there are plenty of work stories that range from funny to hell bent.

my first day a black lab named abyss ripped my face open 1 inch from my jugular, went back of course.

had one lady yell at me not to rip the veins in her dogs nails and to call someone else to do it because i didnt seem to know anything (i know that i wasnt going to rip her dogs nail vein and that she was refering to a quick which if i got just the tip of it would not kill the grumpy old dog, i had a manager do it though anyways the lady gets her dogs nails cut once a year things were gonna break my clippers)

had some lady yell at me because she left her dogs with us for a whole 3 hours and they werent done yet OMG HEAVENS FORBID i told her it was going to be 5 hours... she also told my boss i said fricking infront of her when its known if i drop an fbomb its an fbomb

had a dog named seti go ape on me and bite me 3 times, then had his owner laugh and say how cute they put a vicious card on his cage haha (my leg did not find it cute when it got bitten)

theres a pug that comes in named walter (its a girl) that death screams what sounds like mama when you try to clip its nails

i was having a fight with a manager and had to ask him to hold a dog still for me and i forgot to mention the dog pee'd when he was excited... dog pissed all over my manager right on the crotch of his pants, fight was over and i was on the floor.

one day i had a GSD that is just a jerk dog... i call the other girl over and said 'i cant get him back in the cage' so she tried and he just snapped at her... she told me to let go of the lead so i did and the dog held her and i hostage in the back of the salon for 30 minutes till we could get his owner to show up. that was one heck of a morning. we also found out our rabies pole was broken that day.

october of 09 i passed out with in my first hour of work from kidney stones passing, after that its been a running joke that i have to be sitting when making bows on slow days.

those are just some stories from my job. i mean i work with dogs so theres always a chance something insane may happen.
the one the only princess neon plaid mix'n'match confusion of colour

#246 User is offline   Neko_master_Luna 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 28689

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:17 AM

Not my story, but worth it. My roommate has an evil store manager, who lives near us. Her car got stolen, while that is funny only cuz she is mostly evil. ( I think I would end up suing this lady if I worked under her) My roommate has gotten stuck giving her rides home. The only thing nice about it is that the Troll did offer gas money & my roommate gets to make her listen to her WoW pod cast. Still,, she gets to be in the car with a woman that can make you cry, fear loosing your job & over all gives you goosebumps.
Currently writing a book.

#247 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:09 PM

I may as well include this as it was funny and happened at work.

I had not one, but two people suggest I try to get ACen out here to our convention center. I had to stifle back my laughter and tears both times.
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#248 User is offline   jackspicer 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 3522

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:15 PM

View PostKirbyFanOne, on Mar 31 2010, 09:09 PM, said:

I may as well include this as it was funny and happened at work.

I had not one, but two people suggest I try to get ACen out here to our convention center. I had to stifle back my laughter and tears both times.

Lol! "Hey maybe we could have Acen in my basement!"
Proud member of the Bishe Brigade

#249 User is offline   Carnage_Black3 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:27 PM

I forgot to post this this morning. Last night, a two girls cam into my wqork. I'm standing just outside the door smoking as they come up. They begin entering when the one said, "Why hello there handsome." I just smiled and when her head was turned, I couldn't help but roll my eyes. Every time she referenced to me, she used 'handsome'. When they came up to the register, the one asked, "Are you a model?" I just chuckled slightly and said, "No." "Well, you're hot enough to be one." I just smiled and nodded. Not really much else I can do in that situation. When they left, I just laughed and said "What the hell?"

I swear, I get all kinds.
ACen 10 Reg Staffer
C-C-C-C-Combobreaker!

ACen 09 Gofer
ACen 08 Gofer
ACen 07 Gofer
ACen 06 Gofer
ACen 05 Gofer

#250 User is offline   Ashori 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:00 AM

View PostCarnage_Black3, on Mar 31 2010, 09:27 PM, said:

I forgot to post this this morning. Last night, a two girls cam into my wqork. I'm standing just outside the door smoking as they come up. They begin entering when the one said, "Why hello there handsome." I just smiled and when her head was turned, I couldn't help but roll my eyes. Every time she referenced to me, she used 'handsome'. When they came up to the register, the one asked, "Are you a model?" I just chuckled slightly and said, "No." "Well, you're hot enough to be one." I just smiled and nodded. Not really much else I can do in that situation. When they left, I just laughed and said "What the hell?"

I swear, I get all kinds.

Ah, the flirts. They can make you laugh or make you cringe.

I have an older gentleman that flirts with me pretty much every time he comes into the store. He has to be in his 50s or 60s, while I'm not even 21 (and look like I'm 12, according to general idea). And yet he finds my line everytime, tries to talk me up, and one time gave me his phone number. -shudders-

Sadly not the first older gentleman to flirt with me either - I've had at least two or three others, all I had to guess to be between their 30s-50s, talking me up and stuff. It's quite scary.
Cosplay Status: Maya Kitajima - Bianca Mask (Pirate Form - 100%; Glass Mask), Lucy Heartfilia (2%; Fairy Tail), Castle of Hearts Alice Liddell (100%; Kuni no Alice series)

#251 User is offline   jackspicer 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:11 AM

View PostAshori, on Apr 1 2010, 12:00 PM, said:

Ah, the flirts. They can make you laugh or make you cringe.

I have an older gentleman that flirts with me pretty much every time he comes into the store. He has to be in his 50s or 60s, while I'm not even 21 (and look like I'm 12, according to general idea). And yet he finds my line everytime, tries to talk me up, and one time gave me his phone number. -shudders-

Sadly not the first older gentleman to flirt with me either - I've had at least two or three others, all I had to guess to be between their 30s-50s, talking me up and stuff. It's quite scary.

Always keep mace, or a ninja :shuriken:

#252 User is offline   Carnage_Black3 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:17 AM

A few from last night.

A guy came in stumbling drunk. He managed to stay on his feet, but don't ask me how. He grabs damn near a full peg of gummi works and a few packs of gummi bears the stumbles to the counter. I ring him up and tell him the total. He pulls out his credit card, looks at the card, then the pinpad, the card again, then asks me, "How does this work again?" in an attempt to be nice I explain how to swipe the card. He finally swipes it right after about 8 tries then asks me how it worked. I asked him to explain and he says, "How does the machine know what's kn my card. If it wasn't forthe fact I have to be somewhat professional, I would have LMAO. I begin explaining about the magnetic strip and the reader and he just stared in awe. "Thats amazing. When did this happen?" before I could het a word in, he left with a look of shear astonishment. Drunks are funny creatures.

Dumbest criminals.

A shoplifter came in, pocketed a few items. He grabbed a few more then came up to the register. I confronted him about the items he pocketed then he threw everything in his one pocket and ran out the door. Two of the items included a state ID and a keycard for his dorm. Made out a police report on it but made sure to copy his address so that I can send a nice little letter to his parents explaining about the theft. It's just something I do. I've had a few of those mrs drop out since their parents won't give them any more money for their schooling.

Free labor.

I'm pricing some of the new product coming in when a couple dunk kids came in. Afetr a short conversation, they wanted to try their hands at pricing product. I laughed and let them. They gingerly price a few candy bars then asked to see how I do it. I show them and they were stunned at how fast I was pricing. They asked how can I do it so fast. "Practice." they laughed then left.

Well no new stories for a while, I have a few days off, so enjoy the ones I posted. Might post another old one or two if I decide to.
ACen 10 Reg Staffer
C-C-C-C-Combobreaker!

ACen 09 Gofer
ACen 08 Gofer
ACen 07 Gofer
ACen 06 Gofer
ACen 05 Gofer

#253 User is offline   jackspicer 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:18 AM

Strangely random....happened less than five minutes ago

So I'm at my desk half working half goofing off [all on my personal laptop so they can't dictate what sites i visit], and through the door i sit next to I hear "ring ring ring ring ring ring ring, Banana phone, ring ring ring ring ring ring ring, Banana phoooone, etc.

It caught me off guard but i chuckled to myself, it was so unexpected

#254 User is offline   Carnage_Black3 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:28 AM

It's a good one though. I like playing that every so often.
ACen 10 Reg Staffer
C-C-C-C-Combobreaker!

ACen 09 Gofer
ACen 08 Gofer
ACen 07 Gofer
ACen 06 Gofer
ACen 05 Gofer

#255 User is offline   jackspicer 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:31 AM

View PostCarnage_Black3, on Apr 1 2010, 12:28 PM, said:

It's a good one though. I like playing that every so often.

seriously? I've never even heard that song outside of my job

#256 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:42 AM

Got another one.

I have a student in one of my classes who's a little...off. He's a nice guy, and took my advice to "ask questions if you get lost." He gets lost a lot, because he asks a ton of questions. Which is fine, I welcome that...but some of his questions are a little bit strange.

For instance, we were talking about Lewis and Clark on the Missouri River here in Montana. He asks "Did they have to worry about pirates?" My reply was something like "say what?!" while the rest of the class laughed, thinking it was a joke. But he was serious, and after I thought about it a second, I figured it was indeed a reasonable question, as river pirates were common on the Mississippi in early America. So I replied no, and he was kewl with it. Turned out later he really meant jolly-roger-flying, Captain-Jack-Sparrow pirates, but whatever.

But the other day, he really asked me a winner that I had to keep from laughing at. I was talking about how in 1888 the Democrats and Republicans were having a knock-down, drag-out political fight over which states to let into the Union. The Dems wanted Montana and New Mexico, because both those states were dominated by the Democrats. The Republicans wanted Washington and to split Dakota Territory into two parts, North and South Dakota--so as to increase the number of Republican Congressional seats. (Pretty tricky, both of them--and you thought partisan politics was something new.) Eventually, they compromised.

My student asks, "So, did it work?"

"What? What worked?" I replied.

"Did the Dakotas get split up?"

I stared at him for a moment. So did the rest of the class. Then I said, kind of slowly, "Uh...yeah. Haven't you ever heard of North Dakota? You know, the state right next door to Montana?"

He stared back at me, then the light dawned. "Oh yeah," he says, smiling. "Now I get it."

Now I know why Miss Yukari drinks so much.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"I have my very own Osaka"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#257 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7901

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:51 AM

^Just beware on those field trips to the beach house. Pots and pans look an awful lot like knives when an Osaka is sleepy.
2012 Cosplay Plans - Fujiwara no Mokou (Touhou)
Visit my MAL and let me know you're from the forums~

#258 User is offline   this_chick25 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 7489

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:26 PM

View Postsentinel28a, on Apr 1 2010, 12:42 PM, said:

Got another one.

Now I know why Miss Yukari drinks so much.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"I have my very own Osaka"

I was thinking that same thing! :lol:
Acen Attendee since 2001
Wondering how much to save for ACen? Click here!
FREE! Cosplay construction and materials advice--get yours now!
Never cause more mischief than that which is necessary for success.
Sig invade'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd by Alk <3

#259 User is offline   jackspicer 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:29 PM

You have.....interesting, students, lol. Can't wait to see him on a trivia show

#260 User is offline   Ashori 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:47 PM

View Postjackspicer, on Apr 1 2010, 12:11 PM, said:

Always keep mace, or a ninja :shuriken:

Ah, if only that would work. XD I don't know if carrying mace is allowed to be carried at a register...or even legal to carry at all, and I'd probably get fired for wearing my mini-kunai necklace to work.
Our only defense is to call over the supervisor and have her tell the customer to leave...which since a lot of the supervisors in my store can take 10 minutes or more to respond to something as simple as a price check or needing change (seriously timed it once; the sad part was that there was freaking three of them), it's not much of a defense.

#261 User is offline   Neko_master_Luna 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:50 PM

Ok, was working on an end cap in shoes & this former AP guy comes up & say how I should smile & greet customers like so & he turns to some random women & says, "Can I help you ladies find any thing?" I am trying so hard not to laugh, I think my shoulders shook. The white, uh woman answers, "Oh, no thanks handsome." He had the most horrible 5 of clock shadow & still made a good looking chick. The African dude didn't even shave his legs. We don't normally get those types in drag at least in the burbs. I finally go to see a dark man blush, lol. The best part, he just told me to keep working hard & left me alone!

#262 User is offline   Carnage_Black3 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:53 PM

The ones in drag are funny though. Sadly too common in my store.
ACen 10 Reg Staffer
C-C-C-C-Combobreaker!

ACen 09 Gofer
ACen 08 Gofer
ACen 07 Gofer
ACen 06 Gofer
ACen 05 Gofer

#263 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:01 PM

View Postwrexness, on Apr 1 2010, 05:51 PM, said:

^Just beware on those field trips to the beach house. Pots and pans look an awful lot like knives when an Osaka is sleepy.

There's a reason why I never let my students know where I live. One student last semester asked me if I could give him my home address so he could turn in his paper late. I told him no frickin' way.

"Why not? I wanna show up at 3 AM and turn in my paper! Besides, I can just look you up on the internet anyway."

"Sure," I said back, "and you can look up into the barrels of my 12-gauge shotgun as I blow you in half if you show up on my property!"

He sort of laughed, not sure if I was joking or not. I did too, but gave him a Naga Laugh. As this was Random Otaku last semester, he got the idea.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Cuts down on complaints if the students think the prof is a deranged lunatic"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#264 User is offline   Neko_master_Luna 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:04 PM

Oh yes, people always get the evil anime laugh, some how it scares people into sense!

#265 User is offline   Neko_master_Luna 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:55 PM

Ok I know it's a customer store but still. This happened to me today. I was running around with my Mom in a Hobby Lobby, I even had my Acen t-shirt on, but still, some lady asked me were some thing was. I even told her I need help too as well the usual, I don't work here. At first it was yeah right look, then it was the mild blush I am an idiot look. I just looked at my Mom & said, do I really look like I work here? Her answer with a shrug, I don't know. I wanted to face plant for even asking. (sigh)

#266 User is offline   Carnage_Black3 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:29 AM

I sometimes love when people thing I work somewhere. I have fun with it.
ACen 10 Reg Staffer
C-C-C-C-Combobreaker!

ACen 09 Gofer
ACen 08 Gofer
ACen 07 Gofer
ACen 06 Gofer
ACen 05 Gofer

#267 User is offline   proxy 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 19396

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:31 AM

The gist is me, my friend, and her husband all works for the same company, but she works in a diff building than us. So he gives me rides to work since we're going the same way. Last week I had my monthly friend. When I got in the car he was like, "Geez Mel you look awful, what's wrong?" I told him and he was like, "Awe, hopes you feel better Mel!" Later on that day we were at lunch(we also have the same lunch time) I was just picking at my food and sighing because I still didn't feel that good, and my other friend was like, "Are you okay?"...Then my friend's husband says, "OH, SHE'S FINE SHE'S JUST ON HER PERIOD. HEY MEL YOU SAID YOU CAN'T EAT CHOCOLATE BECAUSE IT GIVES YOU REALLY BAD CRAMPS RIGHT?! I COULDN'T BE A WOMAN BECAUSE WHO WOULD WANT TO BLEED FROM THEIR pikachu! I'D BE LIKE EEEEEW!" At that moment...I died a little inside...

Yes people he screamed it, and all of our bosses offices are right by the Staff Lunch Room. So yup they all heard to, and people was coming up to me throughout the whole day going, "Hang in there Mel."

#268 User is offline   this_chick25 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 7489

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:58 AM

You should have cut his head off with the sheer force of rage. (I most certainly would have.)
Acen Attendee since 2001
Wondering how much to save for ACen? Click here!
FREE! Cosplay construction and materials advice--get yours now!
Never cause more mischief than that which is necessary for success.
Sig invade'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd by Alk <3

#269 User is offline   Carnage_Black3 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:48 PM

Should have just killed him. Just make sure to get a female judge.
ACen 10 Reg Staffer
C-C-C-C-Combobreaker!

ACen 09 Gofer
ACen 08 Gofer
ACen 07 Gofer
ACen 06 Gofer
ACen 05 Gofer

#270 User is offline   proxy 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 19396

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:39 PM

The guy is a really nice guy, but he just sometimes does that. There's so many stories I could tell, some are wtf, and some are haha, and others just odd.

Most oddest convo:

I use to have lunch at 11am(so damn early!), and it was two other people at the time who shared the same lunch as me. One guy was a comic buff, and I was sleeping, and he poked me awake, and awkwardly whispered in my ear. "Did you bring any comics?" I was creeped out.

The other person who had lunch with me, was even weirder. The most "wtf" convo I ever had at work. She came into the lunch room, and says, "Monica, I have had so many odd jobs..." and I joked around, and said, "You've even been a lion tamer, awesome!~" Then she replies. "I guess you could say that. I have been known to bring home stray animals, and stray men." That was the end of the conversation because at that point I was speechless. She also called me Monica...Not my name lady!

• 19 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users