Anime Central Forums: The Marvelous Misdaventures Of Flapjack? - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

The Marvelous Misdaventures Of Flapjack? Greatest cartoon in the world, or just the universe?

#1 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 3332

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:51 PM

So, Lina mentioned over on Facebook that she hadn't seen this show yet.
that brought it to my attention that people still exist on the planet earth that have NOT
seen this show, which disappoints me.

it's probably one of the darkest, oddest, most irreverent cartoons ever--in that sense, it's
similar to invader zim, but, um..popular? it uses a combination of handdrawn animation, muppets, stop motions,
robert crumb's intentionally grotesque art, and woodcut art like you see in the illustrated editions of Moby Dick.

most people have seen this show, right?
most people love this show, riight?? i seriously thought we were all on the same
page with this show and everyone sorta knew about it and loved it by now. no?

#2 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7901

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:53 PM

Know of it, never really cared enough to watch. *runs*
2012 Cosplay Plans - Fujiwara no Mokou (Touhou)
Visit my MAL and let me know you're from the forums~

#3 User is offline   GiveUpTheGhost 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3441

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:01 PM

I am a huge fan of the Beard Episode!

"No Peach fuzz Patty's allowed!"
My barren plan to be a better man
Rots in abandoned fields
These idle hands inherit spoiled lands
As the hungry become the pigs
We reap (and) we sow
We mourn who we were
Love what we lost

#4 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:02 PM

View Postwrexness, on Feb 9 2010, 09:53 PM, said:

Know of it, never really cared enough to watch. *runs*

OUT!

lol no, but seriously, it's good! you should give it a try!

#5 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:05 PM

Except Animanics is the best cartoon ever.
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#6 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:08 PM

My friend thinks both this and Chowder are the absolute worst cartoons on the face of the Earth.

I wonder why we're still friends...
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#7 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:16 PM

View PostXenoBlade, on Feb 9 2010, 10:05 PM, said:

Except Animanics is the best cartoon ever.

surely you jest?
the animaniacs were the most obnoxious, try-hardy cartoon characters ever sans wakko.
jesus christ, were the other two obnoxious, though! unfunny, too. pinky and the brain was good, but
nothing from that show was the best ever...
seriously? ANIMANIACS?? you're post genuinely upset me. lol freakazoid was way better and even with
freakazoid...i'm not buying a dvd or anything.

View PostGiveUpTheGhost, on Feb 9 2010, 10:01 PM, said:

I am a huge fan of the Beard Episode!

"No Peach fuzz Patty's allowed!"

thank god someone else likes this show! it's saved me many a night where i helped friends from school babysit
and we had to watch cartoons with the kids until they fell asleep. any cartoon that sneaks in jokes about catching crabs
and punching flies to death is a-okay with me.

My friend thinks both this and Chowder are the absolute worst cartoons on the face of the Earth.

well, i honestly don't like chowder much, either.

#8 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:22 PM

View PostKeiichi-chan, on Feb 9 2010, 10:16 PM, said:

surely you jest?
the animaniacs were the most obnoxious, try-hardy cartoon characters ever sans wakko.
jesus christ, were the other two obnoxious, though! unfunny, too. pinky and the brain was good, but
nothing from that show was the best ever...
seriously? ANIMANIACS?? you're post genuinely upset me. lol freakazoid was way better and even with
freakazoid...i'm not buying a dvd or anything.

While SOME was, but for the most part, it was good stuff. Freakazoid, Pink and the Brain, The Pigeons who names slips my mind, Slappy Squirrel...cmon, you telling me that wasn't good stuff?

I actually youtube'd this Flapjack, and I kinda just looked away uninterested.

I guess we have different senses of humor, because you are the only person who was old enough to understand Animaniacs back in the day, to say you don't like it. Seriously.
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#9 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 41763

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:23 PM

Sorry but I just don;t understand what the attraction is of prepubescent gay sailors and retards teaching kids to be retards.

These AND Spongebob Square Pants I feel MAKE our kids stupid, just like Elmo ( Red little imp RUINED Sesame Street! )
The Oni of Taiyaki
Cosplays: ACen 2013
Persona: Pyro Jack

#10 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:37 PM

While SOME was, but for the most part, it was good stuff. Freakazoid, Pink and the Brain, The Pigeons who names slips my mind, Slappy Squirrel...cmon, you telling me that wasn't good stuff?

yeah, the "Goodfeathers" stuff with the pigeons WAS great. everything in the show WITHOUT the animaniacs was good.
the actual animaniacs bits SUCKED. i watched that show when i was a tinnny kid, but i remember disliking the animaniacs and finding them really obnoxious, even as a child. they were just loud and pushy and bounced around trying to be all bugs bunny-like and it got real old, real quick. even as a 7-year-old, their running gag of 'we're the warner bro's..and the warner sister!' thing was just lame and dumb to me. maybe i was this really fussy kid, but i also hated bugs bunny and all the rugrats sans chuckie finster?

characters that just bounce around shouting I'M FUNNY I'M FUNNY LOVE ME LOVE ME or try to be funny by just 'punking' the other characters with bombs down their pants and all that just make me want to punch them. tiny toons was awesome. the animaniacs always seemed to be trying really hard to be like the tiny toons--these funny cartoon pre-teens. i just never found anything they did really amusing or charming. i guess i was a fussy kid.
here's a promo, but i dunno if it does an amazing job of summing up the show or anything. you really have to watch a few episodes to get the feel of it:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=i-j7_NLS_GM
watch an episode of animaniacs right now and see if you still think it's funny...>_>
maybe it's nostalgia more than different taste?

These AND Spongebob Square Pants I feel MAKE our kids stupid, just like Elmo ( Red little imp RUINED Sesame Street! )

i haet spongebob..
it's nothing like spongebob!

#11 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19670

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:45 PM

I always saw the Animaniacs as a gag-based comedy, which I am rarely a fan of.
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#12 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:49 PM

I watched the link, and still for the most part, I'm uninterested, there was only one part that kinda got a smile, (the blue thing said he could drive a train...but could't (?) him and Flapjack screamed, then hit the back wall and screamed, and got hay on them and screamed. I thought that was kinda funny) but for the most part, doesn't look like it'll keep me entertained. I do have to admit, it looks like Spongebob, and that is really killing it for me. And yeah I did see you say it was nothing like Spongebob, but just the way it look, and the humor aproach, not really my thing.

And granted, it is part nostalgia for Animaniacs, but I still find alot funny. For instance.

Good Idea Bad Idea...

Good Idea-Playing Catch with your grandpa...

Bad Idea-Playing Catch WITH your grandpa.

I know it's kinda gag and slapstick humor, but I dunno, I just like that show. But I do admit, some stuff isn't as funny as it was.

This post has been edited by XenoBlade: 09 February 2010 - 10:52 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo

#13 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:24 PM

View PostXenoBlade, on Feb 9 2010, 10:49 PM, said:

I watched the link, and still for the most part, I'm uninterested, there was only one part that kinda got a smile, (the blue thing said he could drive a train...but could't (?) him and Flapjack screamed, then hit the back wall and screamed, and got hay on them and screamed. I thought that was kinda funny) but for the most part, doesn't look like it'll keep me entertained. I do have to admit, it looks like Spongebob, and that is really killing it for me. And yeah I did see you say it was nothing like Spongebob, but just the way it look, and the humor aproach, not really my thing.

And granted, it is part nostalgia for Animaniacs, but I still find alot funny. For instance.

Good Idea Bad Idea...

Good Idea-Playing Catch with your grandpa...

Bad Idea-Playing Catch WITH your grandpa.

I know it's kinda gag and slapstick humor, but I dunno, I just like that show. But I do admit, some stuff isn't as funny as it was.

yeah, but you're still mentioning things that didn't involve the ACTUAL animaniacs and their part of the show.
the warner bros. were the worst part of their own show. pinky and the brain was much, much better on its own, the goodfeathers, i think, got their own very short-lived spin-off, too.

and, jon, you really, reaaally can't tell whether or not you like something within 30 seconds of watching it. - _-
i mean, i'm sure it might not be your thing, but you definitely can't tell if you like a move or a tv show by a 30 second clip, the same way you can't read a single page of a book and know whether or not you like it.
i couldn't find it in HQ but here's one of my favorite episodes:
http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category...8686058r2cjtNHJ
here's a random episode for people who absolutely NEED HQ videos:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=lyXOe6nN6us

#14 User is offline   GiveUpTheGhost 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:27 PM

CARTOONS CHANGED MY LIFE!
Rots in abandoned fields
We reap (and) we sow
We mourn who we were
Love what we lost

#15 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:29 PM

View PostGiveUpTheGhost, on Feb 9 2010, 11:27 PM, said:

CARTOONS CHANGED MY LIFE!

F*** you, freud! Jung!
Tex Avery knows what's what!!! O_________O

#16 User is offline   GiveUpTheGhost 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:32 PM

YOU AIN'T NEVER HAD A FRIEND LIKE ME!
Rots in abandoned fields
We reap (and) we sow
We mourn who we were
Love what we lost

#17 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:45 PM

This cartoon is amazing.

AMAZING.

And it makes sense that you would like it, Keiichi. Since the continuing plot is them trying to find an island made out of candy.

The idea of which probably makes you have to change your pants, if you know what I mean.

"Gone Wishin'" is my FAVORITE EPISODE. EVER.

That and "Candy Wife".

p.s. <3 Bubbie

This post has been edited by Kii: 10 February 2010 - 12:46 PM

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#18 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:53 PM

View PostKeiichi-chan, on Feb 9 2010, 11:24 PM, said:

yeah, but you're still mentioning things that didn't involve the ACTUAL animaniacs and their part of the show.
the warner bros. were the worst part of their own show. pinky and the brain was much, much better on its own, the goodfeathers, i think, got their own very short-lived spin-off, too.

and, jon, you really, reaaally can't tell whether or not you like something within 30 seconds of watching it. - _-
i mean, i'm sure it might not be your thing, but you definitely can't tell if you like a move or a tv show by a 30 second clip, the same way you can't read a single page of a book and know whether or not you like it.
i couldn't find it in HQ but here's one of my favorite episodes:
http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category...8686058r2cjtNHJ
here's a random episode for people who absolutely NEED HQ videos:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=lyXOe6nN6us

when I meant Animaniacs, I meant it as a WHOLE, before some stuff split off. And Good Idea, Bad Idea was part of the show as a collective.

And yes, I can't tell that I don't like a show in 30 mins, BUT I can tell if it doesn't interest me, which is what I said above. It just doesn't catch my interest from that clip that was shown. I think it is fair to say we have differing opinions on many things. The only thing we agree on is that Chrono Trigger is overrated. But this Flapjack show, from my looking around and researching it, and from the clip, doesn't seem like my thing.
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo

#19 User is offline   Rini 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 17020

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:54 PM

This show scares the sh#$% outta me.

No joke.

x.x
<(^_^)> Rewr :3

#20 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:04 PM

View Postrini, on Feb 10 2010, 05:54 PM, said:

This show scares the sh#$% outta me.

No joke.

x.x

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=jHyU0craHKg

And yes, I can't tell that I don't like a show in 30 mins, BUT I can tell if it doesn't interest me, which is what I said above.

you really 'can't. you can judge and dismiss something unfairly in 30 seconds and never give anything a chance and miss out.
you definitely can tell if you're REALLY interested or not by 30 seconds or sometimes even a single episode of something. if i watched a 30 second clip of my favorite tv show, i wouldn't think i would be interested in watching it at all. or, you can,, y'know, just go around folding your arms and going 'bah! look at how stupid that cover looks! i refuse to even glance at the interior of this book! away! AWAY from my eyes my potentially favorite book of all time life-chaning novella! I have judged thee on thing cover alone!!hmph!"

to each his own, but you never really know what you like or what's quality until you actually...try to give something a decent shot first? you can't really develop personal taste until you've actually TRIED different things, so i don't think it's fair to say 'we have different taste/opinions, either."

#21 User is offline   Rini 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 17020

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:06 PM

I'm afraid to click.
<(^_^)> Rewr :3

#22 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:28 PM

View Postrini, on Feb 10 2010, 09:06 PM, said:

I'm afraid to click.

-pokes and nudges-

#23 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:57 PM

View PostKeiichi-chan, on Feb 10 2010, 09:04 PM, said:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=jHyU0craHKg

you really 'can't. you can judge and dismiss something unfairly in 30 seconds and never give anything a chance and miss out.
you definitely can tell if you're REALLY interested or not by 30 seconds or sometimes even a single episode of something. if i watched a 30 second clip of my favorite tv show, i wouldn't think i would be interested in watching it at all. or, you can,, y'know, just go around folding your arms and going 'bah! look at how stupid that cover looks! i refuse to even glance at the interior of this book! away! AWAY from my eyes my potentially favorite book of all time life-chaning novella! I have judged thee on thing cover alone!!hmph!"

to each his own, but you never really know what you like or what's quality until you actually...try to give something a decent shot first? you can't really develop personal taste until you've actually TRIED different things, so i don't think it's fair to say 'we have different taste/opinions, either."

Actually, I DO give things I try. I would have never read one of my favorite mangas if I just judged by a first opinion (I"s) The cover had some average chick on the front doing nothing special. But I was like instead of making fun of it, I should take a look, and BAM I liked it.

Now from your replies, you don't seem to understand still what I am saying. I never said I WOULDN'T like it, I merely said, it didn't interest me, as in, it's comedic devices from what it was going for isn't my type. (Don't tell me I can't see a comedy device in a 30 sec clip. That is one of the points of a clip) Also, a clip is suppose to MAKE you interested if you like what you seen, which I was not. I won't say I don't like it, I just say I don't have any interest. If someone plays it where I am, then I will take a better look, but from what I've seen it doesn't interest me.

Btw, don't assume I don't try things because you think I don't like something and I'm all like "Oh this looks stupid, I don't even care." I actually make an effort to try many things. (I even tried Wassabi by itself knowing what effects it had)

So I still stand by my fact we just have different tastes.
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo

#24 User is offline   EndlessKey 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 47633

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:06 PM

View PostKirbyFanOne, on Feb 9 2010, 10:08 PM, said:

I agree with your friend 100% =p

#25 User is offline   Ryoko 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 17662

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:58 AM

Love both Chowder and Flap but i barely get to see it anymore.
Cosplays for this year....
--------------------------
Vanellope (Wreck it Ralph)

#26 User is offline   Miikachu 

• IRT Operative
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 15931

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:06 AM

Flapjack is one of my guilty pleasures. <3
IRT Operative: Flapjack
2011 - Concenter Days
2012 - Concenter Days

[Facebook] [Twitter] [Tumblr]

#27 User is offline   stringcheese 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 23104

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:51 AM

Flapjack and Chowder are the only two things that keep me watching Cartoon Network. 6teen and Total Drama Whatever are really terrible, and I'm indifferent to Johnny Test. I refuse to watch Ben10 out of my love for Teen Titans, but that's just me being bitter. It's too bad that the network execs. decided to go-ahead and green light this "CN Real" stuff because Cartoon Network had a great fanbase amongst adults, and they really isolated them by putting on this stuff to try and attract teenagers. I think teenagers who would like to watch Reality shows will probably rather tune in into MTV than Cartoon Network.

Adventure Time really looks promising though, so I'm pretty excited for that.

Also, I hope they get around to airing more of the Cartooninstitute shorts they still have sitting around. If you are a fan of Chowder or Flapjack, I recommend watching Uncle Grandpa: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=-LvIG7MDSys
IRT Callsign: Dub

"We had our words, a common spat. So I kissed him uspide the cranium with an aluminum baseball bat."
-Alowishus Devadander Abercrombie (Long for Mud)

#28 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:53 AM

View PostToushiro_H, on Feb 10 2010, 10:06 PM, said:

I agree with your friend 100% =p

Flapjack and Chowder are the beacons of hope in the sea of a channel facing network decay at a rapid rate. No one knows when Cartoon Network will drop the Cartoon portion of their name, but with the recent re-branding of MTV, this maybe around the corner sooner than we think.
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#29 User is offline   GiveUpTheGhost 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:16 AM

K1 I never though you would be so heavy handed if someone did not like something you didn't :)
Rots in abandoned fields
We reap (and) we sow
We mourn who we were
Love what we lost

#30 User is offline   HellHawk 

• IRT
  • Pip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 15411

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:31 AM

I love this show lol, it's so weird and funny there's a new show coming out "WHAT TIME IS IT!?"

This post has been edited by HellHawk: 11 February 2010 - 09:34 AM

Hel'HawkIRT
CallSign: Hel'Hawk

Yeah... I'm the type of guy that likes to chill and kick it.

Xbox Gamer tag: Dexy86

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users