• This topic is locked

Acen Commercial?

#31 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 28448

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:13 PM

I think a commercial would be awesome, if it were done right....like...various video clips of ACen stuff going on with a voice over talking about how awesome ACen is.....

as far as where to air the commercial, might I add Adult Swim to the list? Like...Saturday nights, or whenever they air anime these days....*doesn't actually pay attention since she's in college and relies on the internet* Also, there's those commercials that pop up when you watch certain youtube videos, like from FUNimations channel, or whatever...(this may have already been said and I just misinterpreted it, or something...)
Cosplay 2012: Mitsuki Saya (Black Cat), Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai)
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;

"A blank piece of paper is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God."
-Sidney Sheldon

#32 User is offline   Krystal 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 14958

Posted 11 February 2010 - 05:55 AM

Maybe we can be one of those 15 second ads that come before a video on youtube?
Acen 2011: I lost my red kodak camera. If you found it, PLEASE contact me. I really miss it.

#33 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 11017

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:41 PM

If we do go for a tv ad, we've just gotta make sure we don't wind up sounding like those used/repossessed car auction commercials with shout-into-the-mic ramble guy (mute button, kthxbai) or turn out like GIRUUUUUGAMEEEEEEEESH! o.o; Anyways, lol... I'd say give it a test run here for feedback before airing; we should be fine, but better safe than sorry, right?

View PostKrystal, on Feb 11 2010, 05:55 AM, said:

Maybe we can be one of those 15 second ads that come before a video on youtube?

Never seen an ad come/load before a video on Youtube before, though I have seen those little popup X-outable ads on the bottom. (Was that what you meant? ^^;)

Has anyone given thought to doing a Facebook ad? The site already has ads configured to matchup or try-to-matchup with a user's interests (efficiency maybe?), so it would it show up more to those with animanga related interests (or who have friends with such), and less to those who don't. I don't think it'd be too expensive, considering some of the ads I've seen on there, and that FB has added like 15 more ad slots with their new layout, lol.
Special Needs/ADA Staff 2014 | Thurs-Sun @ DESCC Registration Hall
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

#34 User is offline   Krystal 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:15 PM

Yes! The facebook ad is a GREAT idea, and I bet it'd get more sucess than a TV ad!
Acen 2011: I lost my red kodak camera. If you found it, PLEASE contact me. I really miss it.

#35 User is offline   HEDGESMFG 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 108

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:28 AM

I like the facebook idea too, but I still have to wonder whether Acen has the funds to do this. It's important to remember that there are other ways to advertise, such as billboards and buses(which I beleive Acen has used).

However... What about an ad in Shonen Jump? I beleive that that would be a surefire way to target the audience we want.

#36 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11017

Posted 13 February 2010 - 03:17 AM

**Long post, I do apologize! ^^;

View PostHEDGESMFG, on Feb 12 2010, 07:28 AM, said:

I like the facebook idea too, but I still have to wonder whether Acen has the funds to do this. It's important to remember that there are other ways to advertise, such as billboards and buses(which I beleive Acen has used).

Well, a facebook ad would be the cheapest & longest lasting of those three options I would think. Seeing as buses and billboards cost quite a bit of money and run only for very limited periods of times without necessarily attracting the targeted audience, while facebook ads are cheap as heck, target the "target" & pretty much live on forever (or only runs when the advertiser wants it to). Seriously, it costs ~2 cents per 1000 views (for a basic ad). Can't really get cheaper than that, lol. The Facebook Ads Help Center explains it all really well, and (having reading it through) is partially why I'm thinking it'd be the best route we could take atm:

(+)
- easy way to attract a lot of attention
- large potential audience
- plenty of ad slots (who knew the new layouts w/ ads galore could be useful? xD)
- ads target audience -- higher efficiency/relevance
- can run as long as needed, and/or only when needed -- control over ad airing times
- cheaper than other listed methods (excluding YouTube of course)
- cost effective / efficient
- can link with/to the current ACen Group/Fan Page or to con's website -- instant access & potential signup/pre-registering

(-)
- audience composed of only facebook members
- not everyone actively uses facebook (....yet.)
- Firefox's AdBlockPlus addon might possibly block the ad from some users
- ad campaign would have to be managed (progress/finance), couldn't just air/print & forget -- need more effort than print media

View PostHEDGESMFG, on Feb 12 2010, 07:28 AM, said:

However... What about an ad in Shonen Jump? I beleive that that would be a surefire way to target the audience we want.

A print ad there could work, & would definitely appeal to the audience, but you'd have to also consider that there're more anime/manga interests besides shounen. If there was an ad in Shonen Jump, there'd have to be an ad in a shoujo mag (ShoujoBeat ?) or such to balance out interests. Great point, though, thanks for bringing it up! b^^d

Perhaps the most practical advertising campaign would be a joint method -- eg. facebook ad & fliers, Youtube video & printed ads in Shonen/Shojo, etc, etc (& word of mouth, of course ;] ). That way there'd be a varied scope/wider audience, more coverage, better targeting & varied interest appeal -- just like with other ads we see on a regular basis.

Or..... we could have a couple people dressed in mascot as Jay/Elle and Kit stand around downtown handing out flyers, dancing around to good ol' Chicago/Blues Brothers music & otherwise getting attention and making a scene. Who knows, if we're lucky the nightly news will even highlight us. ;]

....Sorry for the wall of text. XD...^^;
Special Needs/ADA Staff 2014 | Thurs-Sun @ DESCC Registration Hall
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

#37 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 28448

Posted 13 February 2010 - 04:28 AM

View Postchainedbyroses, on Feb 13 2010, 03:17 AM, said:

**Long post, I do apologize! ^^;

Well, a facebook ad would be the cheapest & longest lasting of those three options I would think. Seeing as buses and billboards cost quite a bit of money and run only for very limited periods of times without necessarily attracting the targeted audience, while facebook ads are cheap as heck, target the "target" & pretty much live on forever (or only runs when the advertiser wants it to). Seriously, it costs ~2 cents per 1000 views (for a basic ad). Can't really get cheaper than that, lol. The Facebook Ads Help Center explains it all really well, and (having reading it through) is partially why I'm thinking it'd be the best route we could take atm:

(+)
- easy way to attract a lot of attention
- large potential audience
- plenty of ad slots (who knew the new layouts w/ ads galore could be useful? xD)
- ads target audience -- higher efficiency/relevance
- can run as long as needed, and/or only when needed -- control over ad airing times
- cheaper than other listed methods (excluding YouTube of course)
- cost effective / efficient
- can link with/to the current ACen Group/Fan Page or to con's website -- instant access & potential signup/pre-registering

(-)
- audience composed of only facebook members
- not everyone actively uses facebook (....yet.)
- Firefox's AdBlockPlus addon might possibly block the ad from some users
- ad campaign would have to be managed (progress/finance), couldn't just air/print & forget -- need more effort than print media

A print ad there could work, & would definitely appeal to the audience, but you'd have to also consider that there're more anime/manga interests besides shounen. If there was an ad in Shonen Jump, there'd have to be an ad in a shoujo mag (ShoujoBeat ?) or such to balance out interests. Great point, though, thanks for bringing it up! b^^d

Perhaps the most practical advertising campaign would be a joint method -- eg. facebook ad & fliers, Youtube video & printed ads in Shonen/Shojo, etc, etc (& word of mouth, of course ;] ). That way there'd be a varied scope/wider audience, more coverage, better targeting & varied interest appeal -- just like with other ads we see on a regular basis.

Or..... we could have a couple people dressed in mascot as Jay/Elle and Kit stand around downtown handing out flyers, dancing around to good ol' Chicago/Blues Brothers music & otherwise getting attention and making a scene. Who knows, if we're lucky the nightly news will even highlight us. ;]

....Sorry for the wall of text. XD...^^;

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Shoujo Beat go out of print last summer? *is still mourning NTUSA and AI....*
Cosplay 2012: Mitsuki Saya (Black Cat), Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai)
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;

"A blank piece of paper is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God."
-Sidney Sheldon

#38 User is offline   Neko_master_Luna 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 28689

Posted 13 February 2010 - 01:05 PM

That's just it, why can't we make an ad or commerial that appeals to every one?
Currently writing a book.

#39 User is offline   Krystal 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:29 PM

^Because this commercial would be for an anime convention and anime doesn't appeal to everyone. While not all people will like the ads, those who do may come, and will bring firends, and spread the word.

#40 User is offline   sammy-45 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 42

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:29 AM

i think some place like at the Gym would be a good place to run an Acen ad.
Like the YMCA has it's own channel.
Staff from 2003 to 2010. Currently Retired.

Blessed are the cracked:
for it is they who let in the light!

Go Cubs!!!!GO BEARS!!!!

#41 User is offline   manga1 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 53231

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:11 PM

what about a twitter feed, or the other geek related conventions around chicago, or gamming clubs there must be 100s or more in the greater chicago area.

signed Jeremy manga1

#42 User is offline   frzndaqiri 

• Webmistress
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 4043

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:03 AM

I know it was an older post: but I've used the FB ads for my company, and I can tell you 1. They are definitely blocked by FF's add-ons and 2. They still hit a surprising number of views for the money
2013 will be my 11th year at ACen! Staff for '09/'10/'11/'12/'13
Currently: Webmistress and Registration System Admin - my answers on them are as STAFF - PM if you need help

Come visit DisjointedImages in Artist's Alley for Cosplay photo buttons and custom made buttons
Get a button or upgrade it to a keychain/zipper pull/magnet/bottle opener/mirror for just a quarter more.
Visit the blog for latest news and contests! Disjointed Images Blog
100% guarantee on buttons. If it breaks, come see me for a FREE replacement.

#43 User is offline   Krystal 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:04 AM

View Postsammy-45, on Feb 15 2010, 12:29 PM, said:

i think some place like at the Gym would be a good place to run an Acen ad.
Like the YMCA has it's own channel.

Yes. We can sing YMCA, only it will be ACEN.

#44 User is offline   frzndaqiri 

• Webmistress
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 4043

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:41 AM

Oh man, I am totally going to have that stuck in my head. "It's fun to watch otaku at A C E N"
2013 will be my 11th year at ACen! Staff for '09/'10/'11/'12/'13
Currently: Webmistress and Registration System Admin - my answers on them are as STAFF - PM if you need help

Come visit DisjointedImages in Artist's Alley for Cosplay photo buttons and custom made buttons
Get a button or upgrade it to a keychain/zipper pull/magnet/bottle opener/mirror for just a quarter more.
Visit the blog for latest news and contests! Disjointed Images Blog
100% guarantee on buttons. If it breaks, come see me for a FREE replacement.

#45 User is offline   Exezer 

• Exhibit Space
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 53384

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:32 AM

I would totally do that lol ....this Con. needs a commercial (not for getting memebers since from the looks of it it seems we have alot coming this year)

#46 User is offline   manga1 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:13 PM

lol acen.

I can picture the main verse, A -C-E-N its time to go to A-C-E-N you can buy lots of toyoys. lol

One way to bring out awareness to to mention what it has to offer over the other conventions in the reagion, and show how its size is an advantage for quality of guests, and meaningful buisness for those that are trying to make it in the areas like animation, or acting for example.

Downplay the weaknesses and find ways to turn them to chances to make them an advantage.

Signed Jeremy manga1 a marketing graduate of Indiana University.

#47 User is offline   Soulcrash 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 72

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:28 PM

View Postmanga1, on May 10 2010, 10:13 PM, said:

lol acen.

I can picture the main verse, A -C-E-N its time to go to A-C-E-N you can buy lots of toyoys. lol

Sorry to go OT on this.. but I gotta say this...

Funny that you mention that.... back at ACen... I think it's 2000 or 2001... there was a skit that used that YMCA song by the Village People... They replace YMCA for ACEN...
Ronald "SoulCrash" Ladao, age 25, I'm a photographer for hired......
The new home for my convention photos, videos, and side projects.....
**FaceBook**; **Twitter**; **DeviantART**

#48 User is offline   manga1 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:19 PM

Thats funny, too bad there is not a video of it or is there, I would love to see it, though it was before the days of technology proliforation and high powered digital cameras, but still

#49 User is offline   Soulcrash 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 72

Posted 11 May 2010 - 04:49 AM

View Postmanga1, on May 11 2010, 12:19 AM, said:

Thats funny, too bad there is not a video of it or is there, I would love to see it, though it was before the days of technology proliforation and high powered digital cameras, but still

Oh... I have video of it... I just have to dig it up from my Hi8/D8 bin of tapes.. ><
Ronald "SoulCrash" Ladao, age 25, I'm a photographer for hired......
The new home for my convention photos, videos, and side projects.....
**FaceBook**; **Twitter**; **DeviantART**

#50 User is offline   mmy-sama 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 3465

Posted 11 May 2010 - 04:34 PM

GIRUGAMESH!
Anonymous died for your signs.

#51 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 11 May 2010 - 04:38 PM

View Postmmy-sama, on May 11 2010, 05:34 PM, said:

GIRUGAMESH!

NO! That is not funny. *cries*
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#52 User is offline   mmy-sama 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 3465

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:59 PM

View PostSka_Toranpetta, on May 11 2010, 11:38 PM, said:

NO! That is not funny. *cries*

It was funny for a brief time last year.
Anonymous died for your signs.

#53 User is offline   manga1 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:32 PM

Thats sweet soul, you will have to put it on youtube or something man, that would be great, I bet people would love it. or get the promission of the authors and use the song in an ad perhaps, hay worse and more irritating things have been done in recent years for attention to something, think of the quesnoes hampsters, or the head on apply directly to the forehead commercials thee years ago

signed Jeremy manga1

#54 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:56 AM

I should do a quick low budget commercial this year with my camcorder put it on Youtube for you all to laugh at me.
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#55 User is offline   Teebs 

• IRT Operative
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 29124

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:59 PM

I think it would be interesting to do an ACen commercial, even if it's one onto YouTube, would be awesome!
Years Attended ACen (4): 2009, 2010(Reg), 2011(IRT), 2012(IRT) | 2013 Con Plans: Anime ZAP, UChi-Con, Anime Central, Anime Midwest, SoyCon, Ramencon

ACen 2013 COSPLAYS: Takashi Komuro - High School Of The Dead (90%), Kazuto Kirigaya (Kirito, SAO Version) - Sword Art Online (100%), Keiichi Maebara - Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni (100%)

MyAnimeList! | Facebook? < if you decide to add me, make sure to say you're from ACen or I'll probably ignore it
GO CUBS! (RIP Ron Santo 1940-2010)

#56 User is offline   Vidman1981 

• Public Relations Section Chief
  • Pip
  • Group: Section Chief
  • Member No.: 2272

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:43 PM

You asked for it, so here it is:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjpzaYMkDAE[/media]

Brought to you by the Anime Central Press Department, enjoy and Share!

This post has been edited by Vidman1981: 25 October 2010 - 10:44 PM

Vic Walter
Senior Manager of Public Relations
Anime Central 2014

ACen Staff since 2k4 "Don't Panic"

w w w . A C e n . o r g

#57 User is offline   7nica 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 9193

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:40 AM

View PostVidman1981, on 25 October 2010 - 10:43 PM, said:

You asked for it, so here it is:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjpzaYMkDAE[/media]

Brought to you by the Anime Central Press Department, enjoy and Share!

That was nice!!!! :D it's not loud and annoying and it gets the point across quickly and clearly....good commercial!!!!(<---...yes I've probably killed this poor word but forgive me i'm half awake right now)
PROUD FANGIRL OF THE BISHIE BRIGADE!!!! :)
check out my deviant art ----->7nica's deviantart page

R.I.P. Wayne M Finley (10-10-61/03-01-10) I LOVE YOU DAD!!!

#58 User is offline   CurseOfTheLeek 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 29781

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:14 AM

Wow, I really like it. It gets the point across without trying to make a bunch of lame jokes. Great job guys!!!
If I were going to criticize anything about it, it would be that opening text seems a little... odd. When it says "It is... / WHO is Anime Central?" it seems like the text should be bigger than when it says "The question isn't / WHAT is Anime Central". It'd probably work well to just have the words "It is..." zoom in then have "WHO is Anime Central" zoom in on its own after asking the question. Also, the ACen logo at the end looks like it pulled off a white background really badly, so it's really blurry and where it should say "The Midwest Anime and Manga Convention" it's totally illegible. Sorry If that seems nit picky, I noticed it right away and it distracted from a really awesome commercial spot by making it look kind of cheap. I'm sure these things have already been noted because the person who made this obviously knows pretty well what they're doing. Just thought I'd give some feedback *shuts face*
Again though, really great job. If I'd never been to ACen before and seen this, and if I had any interest in anime at all, I'd want to go (I'm actually going to send this to my friend who is questioning going, so thanks for helping me convince them : )

*reason for edit* watched several times, really like it, comment seemed dumb, needed editing

This post has been edited by CurseOfTheLeek: 26 October 2010 - 08:23 AM

I will be was an absolutely enchanting totally ordinary Persona 4 protagonist gas station attendant.

#59 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:30 PM

I like it and if I saw it on tv I'd geek!
The only thing I'd change is the silence at the text at the opening but it works since music kicks in later. I'd just prefer one of those mystery sounds that kinda warbles but is subtle enough to not over power the text. Then when the first guy speaks that sound should end.

I'd also use a logo for "Anime Central" when it's mentioned in text rather just a font.
The questions should show up on their own slide OR in kind of a fade effect on the same slide. IE have "the question isn't" at the top sliding down then that fades and sliding up fading in would be "WHAT is [logo] Anime Central[/logo]?" And then the same thing for the second text part.

Also, the music starts a bit late/random in my opinion. I think it should start RIGHT after the first guy says "I am anime Central".

NOW - WHAT I LIKED!
I love that it's not some over production actors in cosplay thing. It's real and it's true. It captures all the different kinds of people that go to acen and it captures the insanity and fun and i know I'd be interested to go! And the mario at the end....AWESOME SAUCE. "I am acen! ding!"
A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
CURRENTLY SELLING ANIME/MANGA/WALLSCROLLS! PM FOR MORE INFORMATION!
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users