Anime Central Forums: Greetings From Your Neighborhood Friendly Hallway Contest Master - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Greetings From Your Neighborhood Friendly Hallway Contest Master ACen Hallway Contest 2010

#1 User is offline   ThatOneChick 

• Masquerade ADH
  • PipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 2371

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:05 PM

Good Evening ACen forums,

My name is Jessie and I am your resident Hallway Contest Coordinator. This is the third year ACen will be having it's Hallway Contest! I started it and have been running it from the beginning. If you saw a tiny girl kicking her shoes at people, that was me! MANY MANY MANY exciting things this year for both the Masquerade and the Hallway Contest. We improve more and more every year for you, our dedicated con attendees!

Onto the goodies. This is the information and rule changes I posted in my thread concluding ACen 2009. THE AWARDS HAVE BEEN APPROVED!
NEW AWARDS LIST
Best Individual Novice (Friday and Saturday)
Best Individual Journeyman (Friday and Saturday)
Best Group (One for both)
Best Prop (One for both)
Three judges awards (One for both)
Rising Star (One for both)
Best Child (One for both days and only if a minimum of three compete)
Best American Based Cosplay (One for both)
and finally The Thriftiness Award (Closet Cosplay)(One for both)

-The Rising Star Award goes to the individual I see as being the person with the highest amount of potential with limited experience.

-The Thrift Award will be mostly based off of Character Likeness and the best ability at using what is available. Yes, digging through your closet is a way to enter in this, but the way you use the things at your immediate disposal will be how you are judges. Creativity is the biggest key for this award.

-There is only one group award since we don't get that many groups competing in the Hallway.

-The way you enter will still be the same. Arrive at the hours of operation, fill out a form, then get judged on the spot. THERE IS NO ONLINE REGISTRATION FOR THE HALLWAY CONTEST!

-You HAVE TO HAVE MADE YOUR COSTUME (unless the person who made it is present, fills out the paperwork and presents you as their model).

-YOU CANNOT COMPETE IN THE MASQUERADE WITH THE COSTUME YOU ENTER INTO THE HALLWAY. THIS IS A MAJOR RULE. IF YOU BREAK IT, YOU WILL HAVE TO DEAL WITH ME. I GO TO BOTH EVENTS.

-Since there was a lot of confusion with this, this year, I am adding an award for American Based video games, movies and cartoons. But there is only one award for this. Keep this in mind.

-THIS WILL BE A REQUIREMENT FOR NEXT YEAR. YOU HAVE A YEAR TO PREPARE FOR THIS. YOU MUST BRING AT LEAST ONE PROGRESS PHOTO (unless you are competing for the Thrift award) AND YOU MUST BRING A REFERENCE PHOTO. NO IF, ANDS OR BUTS.

You have been given MAJOR advance. You do not bring these two things, you will not be allowed to enter. It can be on your camera, cell phone, laptop, iPhone, I don't care, but it MUST be available for the judges to look at.

PHOTOGRAPHER
This year we should have an on set photographer to take nice studio shots of you in your costumes made available after the convention and we will show the winners during the masquerade on a projection screen.

Let's get this party started! Give me your questions and concerns. The Hours of Operation will be posted closer to the con.

Your Hallway Contest Master,
Jessie
Don't forget the rabies. Everything taste better with rabies. YAY rabies!

JessiePridemore.com Cosplay deviantART

#2 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:16 PM

Awesome! I was waiting for this. =3 I really love the idea of a photographer as well! ^.^

So will we be signing up at con like last year? I was going to be in this last year but forgot when the sign up time was.
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#3 User is offline   ThatOneChick 

• Masquerade ADH
  • PipPip

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:20 PM

View PostSka_Toranpetta, on Feb 1 2010, 08:16 PM, said:

Awesome! I was waiting for this. =3 I really love the idea of a photographer as well! ^.^

So will we be signing up at con like last year? I was going to be in this last year but forgot when the sign up time was.

Yup! I'll post the times that the room will be open closer to the date. With any luck, we'll be in the same location this year which was just... wonderful.

#4 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:21 PM

View PostThatOneChick, on Feb 1 2010, 07:20 PM, said:

Yup! I'll post the times that the room will be open closer to the date. With any luck, we'll be in the same location this year which was just... wonderful.

Was that near the hub or under it, right? I was wandering around and found it on accident. :lol:
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#5 User is offline   Millions_Knives 

• Masquerade Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 8636

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:25 AM

~wants best prop so hard~
roar but im in masq with anther cosplay
~pets big gun~
want to learn about cosplay materials? click here->my youtube cosplay tips and tricks<-click here

#6 User is offline   Mizu_Haku 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19589

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:30 AM

Question. I know that the rules say that you need to have a costume that's a pre-existing design... no original designs or OCs... but what if we made an original costume for a pre-existing character if we brought in a ref image/design/drawing of the costume?

Just wondering. Because I want to cosplay as Ninetails from Okami but a more humanized version.
"I'M THE AVATAR, YOU'VE GOTTA DEAL WITH IT!" - Korra
~ACen 2013 Cosplays~
Korra ~ Avatar: Legend of Korra
Kiri the wolfdog ~ My fursona

#7 User is offline   Kitsu-chan 

• 2+2 = 5
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 6190
  • Location:Hiding from my Sewing machine. Shh... Don't tell it I'm under the bed.

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:53 PM

View PostMizu_Haku, on Feb 2 2010, 11:30 AM, said:

Question. I know that the rules say that you need to have a costume that's a pre-existing design... no original designs or OCs... but what if we made an original costume for a pre-existing character if we brought in a ref image/design/drawing of the costume?

Just wondering. Because I want to cosplay as Ninetails from Okami but a more humanized version.

I'm wondering the same as well. I'm going to be cosplaying Urd from Ah! My Goddess, but use a outfit I designed & Gothic Punk Mikuru which doesn't appear in the Haruhi anime, but an official figure is sold.
Resident Ladyboy of the ACen Forums

Sadly won't be attending ACen 2012. So I'll be taking my cosplay up a notch for 2013.

#8 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 02 February 2010 - 04:12 PM

What qualifies as a progress pic because I take pics of each piece as it's completed but IDK if that would count as a progress pic...
A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
CURRENTLY SELLING ANIME/MANGA/WALLSCROLLS! PM FOR MORE INFORMATION!
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#9 User is offline   ThatOneChick 

• Masquerade ADH
  • PipPip

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:41 AM

View PostSka_Toranpetta, on Feb 1 2010, 08:21 PM, said:

Was that near the hub or under it, right? I was wandering around and found it on accident. :lol:

Somewhere around there.

View PostMizu_Haku, on Feb 2 2010, 12:30 PM, said:

I guess this is okay.

View PostKitsu-chan, on Feb 2 2010, 01:53 PM, said:

I'm wondering the same as well. I'm going to be cosplaying Urd from Ah! My Goddess, but use a outfit I designed & Gothic Punk Mikuru which doesn't appear in the Haruhi anime, but an official figure is sold.

I am familiar with the figure. I guess I will allow this as well.

View PostCrimsonAnime, on Feb 2 2010, 05:12 PM, said:

What qualifies as a progress pic because I take pics of each piece as it's completed but IDK if that would count as a progress pic...

Those are progress pics! Anything that shows you making the costume.

#10 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:59 AM

YAY! I know what I'm entering...I think....at the moment its a tie between two characters. Anthy and Yoruichi...
A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
CURRENTLY SELLING ANIME/MANGA/WALLSCROLLS! PM FOR MORE INFORMATION!
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#11 User is offline   simonsaz3 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 8785

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:54 PM

Oh wow, the photographer idea sounds awesome! Looking forward to more details about location and sign up times too.

View PostThatOneChick, on Feb 1 2010, 07:05 PM, said:

-Since there was a lot of confusion with this, this year, I am adding an award for American Based video games, movies and cartoons. But there is only one award for this. Keep this in mind.

Also, definitely glad about this. Thank you so much! My friends were so confused last year...
=)
~Saaema
deviantART || Cosplays
=D
**Need help making something? Check this guide for tutorials!**

Hubby: '07: Elite Beat Agent ||
'08: Makoto Shishio ||'09: Cobra Commander ||'10: Golbez ||'11: Cats ||'12: Makoto Shishio
Me: '07: Cloaked Zelda ||'08: Myself =P ||'09: Queen Rutela ||'10: Fi (Skyward Sword) ||'11: Tali'Zorah ||'12: ??

#12 User is offline   Ashikana 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 5452

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:15 AM

2 things.

for the group entry, if the cosplays are indeed from the same series, do they all have to be from the same story arc?
Also what if half the group actually made their own and half thrifted and modified?

And finally, I was told to ask about the awards from last year since my friend never is on here, what is the status? Im not quite sure what he is referring to tho.

thanks!
ACen 2013
Nami:: One Piece
Lucy: Fairy Tail
Gaige:: Borderlands 2

#13 User is offline   fufuberry 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 16806

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:04 PM

I have a similar question. My friends and I are cosplaying form Tsubasa: Reservoir chronicle but I'm making my costume my self, most of Kuro-poo's, Syaoran is thrifting (mostly) and Fai is making her own. Does this count?
CoSpLaYs FoR 2o11:
Chie (Persona 4) ~ 100%
The Witch (Left 4 Dead) ~ 100%
Kyoko Sakura (Maho Shojo Madoka Magica) ~ 30%

#14 User is offline   Emrys 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 9223

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:04 AM

Can you enter more than one costume, say one for Friday and one for Saturday, or is it on entry per person?
ACen 2013 plans:
Terra w/ FFVI group
Malory Archer w/ Archer group

(maybe)
Mabel Pines w/ Gravity Falls group
Fionna and Cake (regular and ballgown) w/ Ice Queen

#15 User is offline   ThatOneChick 

• Masquerade ADH
  • PipPip

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:49 PM

View PostTakuya_Neko, on Feb 28 2010, 11:15 AM, said:

2 things.

for the group entry, if the cosplays are indeed from the same series, do they all have to be from the same story arc?
Also what if half the group actually made their own and half thrifted and modified?

And finally, I was told to ask about the awards from last year since my friend never is on here, what is the status? Im not quite sure what he is referring to tho.

thanks!

1. No they do not have to be from the same arc. It's fine if one is modded, just please alert the judges.

2. There is a thread under "Masquerade" about the awards, please comment there.

View Postfufuberry, on Mar 10 2010, 06:04 PM, said:

I have a similar question. My friends and I are cosplaying form Tsubasa: Reservoir chronicle but I'm making my costume my self, most of Kuro-poo's, Syaoran is thrifting (mostly) and Fai is making her own. Does this count?

Yes, just please be honest with he judges.,

View PostEmrys, on Mar 25 2010, 01:04 PM, said:

Can you enter more than one costume, say one for Friday and one for Saturday, or is it on entry per person?

Yes you can as long as the costumes are different, but most likely you will not win more than one award.

Okay Hallway Hopefuls,

I should be posting the schedule in the next few days and will hopefully have a room soon (from what I am hearing it will be the same place as last year).

The award's list has been approved! Please enter accordingly.

A little over a month away! Anyone else as excited as I am?

#16 User is offline   Kagayaki 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 19711

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:31 PM

I kind of want to enter this as Mitsuki, but was I supposed to have progress pics before now? Because I didn't have enough time to make it until now. :(

#17 User is offline   ThatOneChick 

• Masquerade ADH
  • PipPip

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:35 PM

View PostKagayaki, on Mar 29 2010, 07:31 PM, said:

I kind of want to enter this as Mitsuki, but was I supposed to have progress pics before now? Because I didn't have enough time to make it until now. :(

We just need one to show you working on the costume so we don't have people entering who had bought a costume.

#18 User is offline   Kagayaki 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 19711

Posted 30 March 2010 - 02:20 AM

Ok... But, I just remembered, I'm having props commissioned (which haven't come yet, now that I think about it). Is that still okay?

#19 User is offline   Ashikana 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:59 PM

So I have a friend who won the prop section last year and he said that he never got his award.
ACen 2013

#20 User is offline   ThatOneChick 

• Masquerade ADH
  • PipPip

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:41 PM

View PostKagayaki, on Mar 30 2010, 04:20 AM, said:

Ok... But, I just remembered, I'm having props commissioned (which haven't come yet, now that I think about it). Is that still okay?

Yes, but you cannot compete with it. Please inform the judges of this.

View PostTakuya_Neko, on Mar 30 2010, 06:59 PM, said:

So I have a friend who won the prop section last year and he said that he never got his award.

Again, sorry but this has nothing to do with me. Please post under Masquerade and "Missing awards". <3

#21 User is offline   Ashikana 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:03 PM

even though he won from the hallway contest?
ACen 2013

#22 User is offline   ThatOneChick 

• Masquerade ADH
  • PipPip

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:43 AM

View PostTakuya_Neko, on Mar 31 2010, 12:03 AM, said:

even though he won from the hallway contest?

Trophies is a completely other department. http://www.acen.org/...showtopic=31398 That is the thread. I'm sorry, if it had been up to me, everyone would have gotten their award.

#23 User is offline   Akira Samoji 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 49610

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:15 PM

View PostThatOneChick, on Mar 31 2010, 01:43 AM, said:

Trophies is a completely other department. http://www.acen.org/...showtopic=31398 That is the thread. I'm sorry, if it had been up to me, everyone would have gotten their award.

Okay, my turn with a stupid question. :D My friend made my costume from scratch for my birthday, but she doesn't have the funds to come to Acen. Would I be able to present it as hers and give her the award if one was awarded?

Second question. I'm making my props for the same outfit, so is it allowed to enter just the props, or enter them separately, or both the costume and the props together..?

2010 Cosplays:
Zidane Tribal FFIX* ~currently working on daggers
Zack Fair FFVII
Other possibilities: Edward Elric (FMA), Final Form Sora (KHII), Prince of Falena (Suikoden V), & Yoji Kudoh (Weiss Kreuz).

#24 User is offline   Ashikana 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:31 AM

Its alright no worries. I was just confused. Ill go bother them then. xD
ACen 2013

#25 User is offline   Nanashigurl01 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 17073

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:24 PM

I entered last year with my costume but I am fixing it up and making it better. Can I enter that costume again or not because I know with the Masquarade that if you used it in the Masq before that you can't enter it again?
Cosplay:
2007 - Selphie (FF8)
2008 - Mana (Malice Mizer)
2009 - Gardenia Mana (Malice Mizer), Selphie (FF8)
2010 - Gardenia Mana (Malice Mizer), Homunculus (Shadow of Destiny)

#26 User is offline   InuMiko6787 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 10266

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:55 AM

Quick question: What would qualify as Best Individual Novice and Best Individual Jouneyman? Is it based on skill level, number of costumes made, or number of cons attended? (My BF wants to know since we're both new to the competing part of cosplay)

Also, can you enter for both the Individual and Group awards? I have a couple of costumes that are a part of large groups and a few of my friends are wearing costumes I helped make.
Costumes for ACen 2013
Kyoko Mogami - Skip Beat! - 100% Complete
Captain Tashigi - One Piece - 80% Complete (need to dye jacket and find new shirt. Might change depending on manga)
Fluttershy Gijinka - My Little Pony: F.I.M. - 0% Complete
Mirajane - Fairy Tail - 100% Complete
Femme-ish Professor Layton - 100% Complete

#27 User is offline   ThatOneChick 

• Masquerade ADH
  • PipPip

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:05 PM

View PostAkira Samoji, on Apr 1 2010, 12:15 AM, said:

Okay, my turn with a stupid question. :D My friend made my costume from scratch for my birthday, but she doesn't have the funds to come to Acen. Would I be able to present it as hers and give her the award if one was awarded?

Second question. I'm making my props for the same outfit, so is it allowed to enter just the props, or enter them separately, or both the costume and the props together..?

I'm sorry, but unless she is present, the costume may not be entered. You can, however, just enter with the prop.

View PostInuMiko6787, on Apr 13 2010, 12:55 PM, said:

Quick question: What would qualify as Best Individual Novice and Best Individual Jouneyman? Is it based on skill level, number of costumes made, or number of cons attended? (My BF wants to know since we're both new to the competing part of cosplay)

Also, can you enter for both the Individual and Group awards? I have a couple of costumes that are a part of large groups and a few of my friends are wearing costumes I helped make.

Mostly your skill level and how long you've been doing it. Not so much previous awards and conventions. It's pretty laid back and the judges can make suggestions to which category you should be in if you are unsure. Since you are both new to it, I would suggest novice.

Yes, but they have to be on different days and cannot be with the same costumes.

#28 User is offline   EmoSasuke 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 17055

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:22 PM

Hi there! I just wanted to clarify a couple things.
It says that I cannot compete the same costume in both the Hallway Contest and the Masquerade. The costume I plan on entering into the Hallway Contest I will be wearing during a skit, but not getting it judged for craftsmanship or anything like that. Is that still okay?
Secondly, I think I'll be entering into the Thriftiness category, but I just want to make sure it's the right place. I store bought all the base pieces, and then modified them. Is this still acceptable to be entered into the Thrift category?

#29 User is offline   AgentHazel 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 47545

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:47 PM

I would like to enter... but the person who made my costume will not be present.
Would a note of written consent or something like that be okay? Or could I get the paperwork beforehand?

#30 User is offline   ThatOneChick 

• Masquerade ADH
  • PipPip

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:40 AM

View PostEmoSasuke, on Apr 15 2010, 12:22 AM, said:

Hi there! I just wanted to clarify a couple things.
It says that I cannot compete the same costume in both the Hallway Contest and the Masquerade. The costume I plan on entering into the Hallway Contest I will be wearing during a skit, but not getting it judged for craftsmanship or anything like that. Is that still okay?
Secondly, I think I'll be entering into the Thriftiness category, but I just want to make sure it's the right place. I store bought all the base pieces, and then modified them. Is this still acceptable to be entered into the Thrift category?

For your first question, no, you may not enter the same costume.

Second-That sounds acceptable to me.

View PostAgentHazel, on Apr 21 2010, 05:47 PM, said:

I would like to enter... but the person who made my costume will not be present.
Would a note of written consent or something like that be okay? Or could I get the paperwork beforehand?

I'm sorry, but no. This is clearly stated that the person must be present. We need to ask them the questions and if they are not there we cannot.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users