• This topic is locked

Cosplay Suggestions?

#1 User is offline   Neko_master_Luna 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 28689

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:08 PM

I can't really afford to cosplay, so I may not untill Acen 2011. I was hoping to cosplay some one that wouldn't require a lot of work, money or show off my lack of a figure. I had thought about going as Nekozawa, but now I friend is going to cosplay as him, so that's out. I figured with the cape I wouldn"t have much to do, now I'm stuck. I was wondering if you guys might have an idea?
Currently writing a book.

#2 User is offline   Neko_master_Luna 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:40 PM

Well thank you very much guys!

#3 User is offline   Millions_Knives 

• Masquerade Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 8636

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:06 PM

~sigh~
this is more of something you have to find out for yourself
like self fulfillment
or what you truly what to do with our life
~meditates~
want to learn about cosplay materials? click here->my youtube cosplay tips and tricks<-click here

#4 User is offline   Neko_master_Luna 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:15 PM

I sould rephrase this, I don't want to ware any thing revealing because I have eczema. It makes it hard to cosplay & that is why I am stuck. :(

#5 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:48 AM

You should first think about which characters you like from series you like. Thats always the first step. Then you need to commit to a character (if you have the lack of funds, start with one character first to make it easy on yourself, but if you can do more, more power to ya!) and then plan out where you could get the cosplay if you cant afford the materials to make it. You could try a character that wears street clothes or you could alter their costume to suit how you want it to be. Closet cosplay isnt that uncommon at all and its cheap and no one will know besides you of course! Once you find a character and the outfit you can start planning.

The best thing to do is go thrift/goodwill shopping. You can find sooo many good deals. Just think outside the box. Find things that could work if you slightly alter it, then you dont have to spend a bunch of money on making it from scratch.

Good luck! =3
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#6 User is offline   Maha 

• Incrementally Inclined
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 18557

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:52 AM

Um what is ur budget u have to work with?
Mloop~

#7 User is offline   Neko_master_Luna 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 January 2010 - 03:00 PM

Thats the problem, I can't think of any character I like. As for my budget, I have none right now, I won't have one untill probably March, when I start getting hours at work again. It'll probably be $20-$60 a month around then, unless I can think of a character that I can find some thing for at good will. I think I'd like to cosplay some one with a cape or cloak. I really want some one who it would be comfortable in thier clothing. I just can't think of any one. My skin doesn't help either. I am rather embarassed about red, flakey patches I can do little about. At least it's only on my arms & back. I hope no other otaku has this problem, it sucks. I could have the body of a model & I still wouldn't show it off with skin like this. Thats why I was hoping for some one not revealing.

#8 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 21 January 2010 - 04:06 PM

View PostSka_Toranpetta, on Jan 21 2010, 10:48 AM, said:

The best thing to do is go thrift/goodwill shopping. You can find sooo many good deals. Just think outside the box. Find things that could work if you slightly alter it, then you dont have to spend a bunch of money on making it from scratch.

QFT.

Some of the cosplays I've made for a friend have actually involved Goodwill shopping, to various degrees. Namely white shirts (like the ones Saber from FSN and Ban from GetBackers wear), but we've also gotten skirts, pants, belts, etc. Then I alter as needed. Some of them don't need too much, but others allow for plenty of creativity. Ban's shirt required a large shirt, to allow for the tails on each side, but with pockets in the right areas - we found one that worked perfectly, and it turned out EXACTLY like the one in the anime. We also wanted a particular style for Rena's school uniform (Higurashi) - I don't have experience in making pleats, so we had to track down a skirt with good fabric, the right shade of blue, and had pleats. Wouldn't you know it, we found one that was just the right color and fabric style. Plus, since it was a long skirt, this gave me enough room to crop it down and use the chopped fabric for the collar and sleeve cuffs.

Also, fabric stores often have sales on their stuff, even the good fabrics. I got great satin stuff for a redux of an older cosplay that was about...oh, I think half off, maybe more. Oh yeah, budgeting for the win.

For not too much exposure - try glancing through your favorite anime/games/manga. See if a particular outfit catches your eye that would not only look appealing, but also cover your arms and back. (There's plenty to go around for that, I know that for a fact!) Since that part boils down to personal preference, there's not a whole lot we can suggest...unless, of course, we knew what other stuff you like~
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#9 User is offline   Neko_master_Luna 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 January 2010 - 04:16 PM

Thats the problem, there is many I like that the people realy don't match what I can do. I will try to research through every thing again. Thanks every one!

#10 User is offline   Neko_master_Luna 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:51 AM

I was thinking of maybe trying for a student from Ouran, it covers well & hopefully won't rquire much sewing.

#11 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:12 AM

That would be a good idea. Their uniforms arent that difficult. If thats what you want to do, go for it! :thumbup:
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#12 User is offline   Neko_master_Luna 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 January 2010 - 11:26 AM

I may actually spring for Luna from LSSSC, but that would require I lot of work. I was kind of hoping for a yellow dress I could alter & am not having any luck in any reguard so far. (sigh)

#13 User is offline   Dante871 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 48969

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:38 AM

View PostNeko_master_Luna, on Jan 23 2010, 12:26 PM, said:

I may actually spring for Luna from LSSSC, but that would require I lot of work. I was kind of hoping for a yellow dress I could alter & am not having any luck in any reguard so far. (sigh)

I would suggest like a soul reaper from bleach since it is mostly just a black kimono (not reveling at all), and if u want to do a specific character u could just make their sword out of pcv pipe and ply wood, or blue camping foam (all extremely cheap)
Current Cosplays:
Dante - Devil May Cry
Byakuya Kuchiki - Bleach
Hei - Darker than Black

#14 User is offline   Neko_master_Luna 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:25 AM

I'll keep in mind, it's just for me Bleach is kind of over done & I can't see waring it again, but I wll keep it in mind, thanks! It's always good to get advice from a Dante!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users