Anime Central Forums: Photographers..... - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Photographers..... Lets make a commitment to the cosplayers

Poll: Lets commit to our craft (63 member(s) have cast votes)

If a cosplayer requests pictures, will you take them?

1. Yes (44 votes [64.71%])

Percentage of vote: 64.71%

2. No (3 votes [4.41%])

Percentage of vote: 4.41%

3. If I'm not busy, Yes. (19 votes [27.94%])

Percentage of vote: 27.94%

4. No. It's not why I'm there. (2 votes [2.94%])

Percentage of vote: 2.94%

Vote

#1 User is offline   tfcreate 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 115

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:51 AM

There are literally thousands of cameras at ACEN, yet cosplayers have a hard time getting a picture of themselves.
I am requesting that those of us who go to cons to take pictures PLEASE, lets do all we can to make sure that the cosplayers get
their pictures.

We have the technology.... we have the capacity. Let's collectively go for 500,000 photos!
Decide on your masters, people, for you cannot serve both. Either be an anime con or be a 3-day frat party. (I'm Done with ACen.)
Those who can't be bothered with the little things can't be trusted with the big ones.... ~Larry Bell-Founder of the Bell Aircraft Co.
Any fool can learn from his own mistakes. The wise learn from the mistakes of others....~ Democritus
Posers worry about how they look when they take pictures, shooters worry about the how you look when they shoot.
ACen and cosplay photos
How I Spent ACen 04' Making these.....
(2012)
Next Photoshoot~ Anime Iowa

#2 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 9607

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:25 AM

If I go, having the chance to take photos will be one of the reasons. It's good practice!

#3 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 10 January 2010 - 06:20 PM

I think the easiest thing to do is give out your photobucket name or gallery. You could print out paper with that address on it and cut them up and give them out so people are searching through thousands of photos.
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#4 User is offline   tfcreate 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 11 January 2010 - 12:33 AM

View PostSka_Toranpetta, on Jan 10 2010, 06:20 PM, said:

I think the easiest thing to do is give out your photobucket name or gallery. You could print out paper with that address on it and cut them up and give them out so people are searching through thousands of photos.

How the cosplayer gets the location is not the issue. That they get them is most important. I've even seen many shooters just write down the URL on a piece of paper and give it to the cosplayer. Even if you're just "sniping", take a second to let them know where the photos are.
Decide on your masters, people, for you cannot serve both. Either be an anime con or be a 3-day frat party. (I'm Done with ACen.)
Those who can't be bothered with the little things can't be trusted with the big ones.... ~Larry Bell-Founder of the Bell Aircraft Co.
Any fool can learn from his own mistakes. The wise learn from the mistakes of others....~ Democritus
Posers worry about how they look when they take pictures, shooters worry about the how you look when they shoot.
ACen and cosplay photos
(2012)

#5 User is offline   Neko_master_Luna 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 28689

Posted 17 January 2010 - 12:10 PM

You know, I have never had a cosplayer ask for info On how to see thier pic before. I wouldn't have a problem with it if they asked, just never been asked before.
Currently writing a book.

#6 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 9629

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:19 PM

View PostNeko_master_Luna, on Jan 17 2010, 12:10 PM, said:

You know, I have never had a cosplayer ask for info On how to see thier pic before. I wouldn't have a problem with it if they asked, just never been asked before.

Usually there's not much of a chance to.

I think what would be a better suggestion is -- make sure to post in the cosplayers photo thread in the cosplay gathering board after the con! A tiny handful of those who take pictures at Acen actually post a link to their photos there. That would be even easier than handing out cards or slips, just go to that thread and say "hey, I took pics, they're at www. whatever .com" so we can find them.
Special Needs and Compliance DH for Acen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
Acen 2014: 50s Sailor Mercury, Agent Simmons from S.H.I.E.L.D., Kim Possible, Ghostbuster, frazzled DH
Youmacon 2014: (tentative) Captain Marvelous, Agent Simmons?, Ace from Doctor Who?
Chicago TARDIS 2014: (tentative) Fourth Doctor, Ace

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My blog / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#7 User is offline   Sayuri-chan 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 3228

Posted 17 January 2010 - 03:31 PM

I'm a picture whore. No, I don't mean I like a lot of pictures taken of me (and that still sounds wrong....) How do I put this? I like pictures taken of me, and am cool with it. But I REALLY love taking pictures of other people. It's a disease I swear. xD Everyone else loves the panels and the guests, I love taking photos. It's my favorite part of the convention, and I love to see the look on someone's face when I ask for a picture. Some people are like, "Really? OF COURSE!" like they haven't had many people either a, recognize them, or b, take their picture. Some don't like it though, so I'm always sure to ask. Unless there are like, twenty people taking a photo of the cosplayer, then at that point, I pretty much assume that they're cool with it.

Sooooo, yes! If someone asks me to take their picture for them, I most definitely do. (This happens a lot at photoshoots that I have friends that are a part of, or of a topic I like, but am not necessarily in.)
♥ ACen REG STAFF: 2005-2008 ♥
♥ Persona owns my soul. Proud to be a member of the UYFA! Proud Supporter of the I.R.T.!
"The Chumps" are back to entertain and amuse. Come join us Friday, in Panel Room 4 from 12:30-2:45pm, and Saturday/Sunday in Panel Room 12, from 12:45-3:15a.
Cosplay for 2014 ACen:|Skull Kid--LOZ: Majora's Mask/0% complete|||Genkai-Yuu Yuu Hakusho/100% complete|||Sir Integra Fairbrook Wingates Hellsing-Hellsing Ultimate Abridged Ver./75% complete
Current quote: "Costumes, I need to do that still...Costumes, I need to do that still...Costumes, I need to do that still..."
Current blurb: はい、少し日本語を話します。たのしすぎる! ♪♫♪♫音楽が大好き!♪♫♪♫

#8 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 January 2010 - 04:59 PM

In the past I've always just: asked, taken a single photo, and left. I might try to get a few angles of each person this time.

I'm tempted to do some dual wielding.

For example:
http://www.flickr.co...279722/sizes/o/

:lol:

The *ist DS (smaller camera) would have a 50mm 1.4a on it all of the time for a quick portrait, and the K-7 (larger camera) would probably have a 10-17mm 3.5a or a 24-60mm 2.8a. I could probably get by with just the K-7 though.

#9 User is offline   tatterpillar 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 23950

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:04 PM

This is nice. I think we're pretty much doomed to search for our pics forever though, hehe. I happened to find one of me just a couple of months ago.

#10 User is offline   Kefka 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 45051

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:29 PM

Since I'm doing AA, I'm already going to have a big pile of business cards with my name on them available with a
link to my Deviant Art account. (Where any decent cosplay photos will be uploaded anyway.)
Of course there's a little shameless self promotion there, but the cosplayers would know where to find pics of themselves too.

#11 User is offline   Kitsu-chan 

• 2+2 = 5
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 6190
  • Location:Hiding from my Sewing machine. Shh... Don't tell it I'm under the bed.

Posted 23 January 2010 - 06:12 PM

View PostKefka, on Jan 21 2010, 07:29 PM, said:

Since I'm doing AA, I'm already going to have a big pile of business cards with my name on them available with a
link to my Deviant Art account. (Where any decent cosplay photos will be uploaded anyway.)
Of course there's a little shameless self promotion there, but the cosplayers would know where to find pics of themselves too.

I'm probably going to do the same. I'm trying to start a photography business as a side job & plan to bring business cards to ACen.
Resident Ladyboy of the ACen Forums

Sadly won't be attending ACen 2012. So I'll be taking my cosplay up a notch for 2013.

#12 User is offline   sere 

• Guest Relations Dispatch
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11324

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:52 AM

Whenever I've taken pictures and put them up I've used Flickr. And I always make sure I tag the photos appropriately (anime series, character, location, event, etc.) and geotag them if possible. While that might not be as good as giving them an address to look up pictures, I figure it gives them a fighting chance to find the pictures. :D
♪ Akino Arai Fangirl ♪
♥ Registration Staff 2009 Guest Relations 2010-2011 ♥
☆ Mommy to one ☆

#13 User is offline   davebb 

• EMRT
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11282

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:07 AM

Back before I was medical staff, I had all the information down, site, email, my name, etc on a business card and when I gave that to the cosplayer, I wrote down the image number on the back of the card for them to access, so they know exactly where to go out of my about 1000 photos I'd take. Tell them they can copy it and use for their own site and let them know it will be up for the year or 2, then take them down in FIFO (first in first out) order to make room for another con. So since I only ran Acen, I had 2 years up at a time, and just rotated out. If you don't want to buy and use business card stock to do this, just make a small contact sheet up with 10 / sheet, then cut out standard paper. Depends on how professional you want to make yourself look. It's not hard, and its a good way to get to know lots of new people and friends and at the same time you can network and get yourself known as a photographer.
Just some thoughts of mine and how I operated.
As mentioned I'm now EMRT as of 2008 and since have no time to do photography like I used to, but if anyone has questions, send me a PM on here and I'll get back to you.

-Dave / EMRT
Medic 6 : ACen 2014 EMRT ConCenter Supervisor (serving since 2008)
Dave Bukowski -- NREMT-B
EMT-B / EMA
"ask not what ACen can do for you--ask what you can do for ACen"

#14 User is offline   simonsaz3 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 8785

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:51 AM

View PostKnitChick, on Jan 17 2010, 01:19 PM, said:

I think what would be a better suggestion is -- make sure to post in the cosplayers photo thread in the cosplay gathering board after the con! A tiny handful of those who take pictures at Acen actually post a link to their photos there. That would be even easier than handing out cards or slips, just go to that thread and say "hey, I took pics, they're at www. whatever .com" so we can find them.

That's definitely easier.

Isn't there usually a thread where we post pictures right after the con? Or am I confusing that with the "Did you take my picture?" thread? I know I've seen some folks even post album links at the end of each con day as well.
=)
~Saaema
deviantART || Cosplays
=D
**Need help making something? Check this guide for tutorials!**

Hubby: '07: Elite Beat Agent ||
'08: Makoto Shishio ||'09: Cobra Commander ||'10: Golbez ||'11: Cats ||'12: Makoto Shishio
Me: '07: Cloaked Zelda ||'08: Myself =P ||'09: Queen Rutela ||'10: Fi (Skyward Sword) ||'11: Tali'Zorah ||'12: ??

#15 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2010 - 04:01 PM

I think I'm all set photography wise.

Memory cards:
1x 16GB
2x 8GB
4x 4GB
2x 2GB
2x 1GB
Around 50GB, which should be enough for 3100 photos (raw images from the camera around 16mb).

Hopefully that will be enough for the 3 days, so I don't need to bring a laptop. :lol:

Although if I start taking videos, that could eat through the memory cards really fast...

This post has been edited by Scott: 09 March 2010 - 05:35 PM

#16 User is offline   Seph 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 11372

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:21 PM

One thing you have to realize is that not everyone is on these forums. Also, if you think about it.. there are almost as many photographers as there are cosplayers. Even if every photographer posted their gallery, you would have to filter through each of there galleries to find that ONE photo you are looking for.

If you want those random photos through the con, i would advise making sure someone in your group has a camera to capture the weekend. If you really want some "pro shots" try to make arrangements with a photographer to capture those images for you ...

You would be surprised how many people stop me so I can take there photo, and not even ask my name...

#17 User is offline   Krystal 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 14958

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:36 PM

Go to photobucket and type in Acen (the year), and you find a lot more than posted here!

Also try imageshack and flickr!

Google works well too to find different photos.
Acen 2011: I lost my red kodak camera. If you found it, PLEASE contact me. I really miss it.

#18 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:51 PM

View PostKrystal, on Mar 9 2010, 04:36 PM, said:

Go to photobucket and type in Acen (the year), and you find a lot more than posted here!

Also try imageshack and flickr!

Google works well too to find different photos.

This works too: You type in a gathering or the series you cosplayed from or character, then acen. So like "Alucard Acen". I found a lot of random shots of me (even eating ice cream lol it was cute) by doing it that way.
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#19 User is offline   Krystal 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:00 PM

You were Alucard!? That's so cool!
Acen 2011: I lost my red kodak camera. If you found it, PLEASE contact me. I really miss it.

#20 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:50 PM

View PostKrystal, on Mar 9 2010, 05:00 PM, said:

You were Alucard!? That's so cool!

Oh lol that was just an example. ^.^ One day I'll put together an Alucard *shakes fists* So far I've only cosplayed from FMA, Gintama, Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro, Bleach, Pokemon and now a new series *ish a secret*

I still think that is awesome that people post up the pics in galleries on photobucket and whatnot instead of not. Its always a really good 'omg wtf holy moley thats me!' kinda feeling when you find yourself. ^.^

Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#21 User is offline   Krystal 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:53 PM

I've only found myself thrice in two years. :( I hope to get more pictures this year.

#22 User is offline   Maha 

• Incrementally Inclined
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18557

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:53 PM

I found myself in a few pictures :3 I got lucky ^^ I hope ican find myself in more this year
Mloop~

#23 User is offline   tfcreate 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:34 PM

There are a lot of cosplayers who post things like "I was the (*insert character name here*) on (*insert day here*) in the "Did you take my picture" sections of these boards and expect the photographers, especially the hardcore photographers to know EVERY character and EVERY series that they photograph. That is why most of these requests go unanswered. No photographer knows that just as no one knows every anime ever made. It's an impossible task in any estimation.
And looking through 100's of photos on Facebook/Flickr/imageshack/photobucket images is equally daunting.
That's why it's important to ask at the con where they can find the pictures.
TFC
ACen and cosplay photos
(2012)

#24 User is offline   Seph 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 11372

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:17 AM

View Posttfcreate, on Mar 9 2010, 09:34 PM, said:

There are a lot of cosplayers who post things like "I was the (*insert character name here*) on (*insert day here*) in the "Did you take my picture" sections of these boards and expect the photographers, especially the hardcore photographers to know EVERY character and EVERY series that they photograph. That is why most of these requests go unanswered. No photographer knows that just as no one knows every anime ever made. It's an impossible task in any estimation.
And looking through 100's of photos on Facebook/Flickr/imageshack/photobucket images is equally daunting.
That's why it's important to ask at the con where they can find the pictures.
TFC

oh hey.. whats up, I didnt realize who this was at first with the name :P

but yeah, im staff photographer, and I know absolutely nothing about anything about Japanese animation :P

#25 User is offline   Krystal 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:01 PM

I should do that, or maybe post a picture of yourself in the Did You Take My Picture thread so people know what to remember.

#26 User is offline   tfcreate 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:11 PM

View PostSeph, on Mar 10 2010, 11:17 AM, said:

oh hey.. whats up, I didnt realize who this was at first with the name :P

but yeah, im staff photographer, and I know absolutely nothing about anything about Japanese animation :P

Hey!
And it gets to be a real pain when they say no one is taking their pictures.
Sure they are. By the hundreds. Part of the problem is that they expect you (the photographer,) to find them and show them where the pictures are.
Not realistic since taking over a thousand shots is not unusual for a con. And if you go to 6 cons a year, the odds get ever longer. Yet you're expected to remember one face among thousands.
<_<
TFC
ACen and cosplay photos
(2012)

#27 User is offline   LeenStar 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 41063

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:42 PM

Silly Question: Does this apply to professional photographers only? Or can we also do this if were simply a visitor taking pictures? I plan on doing a youtube movie & photo album (on photobucket) about ACEN and wondering if I had to give this information when taking the pictures. Not that I have a problem with doing so.. just wondering if this applied to only professional studios/photographers :3

leenstarsx3

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing." - Albert Einstein.

#28 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9629

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:29 PM

View PostLeenStar, on Mar 15 2010, 04:42 PM, said:

Silly Question: Does this apply to professional photographers only? Or can we also do this if were simply a visitor taking pictures? I plan on doing a youtube movie & photo album (on photobucket) about ACEN and wondering if I had to give this information when taking the pictures. Not that I have a problem with doing so.. just wondering if this applied to only professional studios/photographers :3

I don't think you're required to do so, but especially if you want to do a YouTube video I'd say it would be a nice courtesy of telling people. Some people might not want to be on YT. Me, I wouldn't mind per se but I'd like to know so I can see the video!!! :)
Special Needs and Compliance DH for Acen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
Acen 2014: 50s Sailor Mercury, Agent Simmons from S.H.I.E.L.D., Kim Possible, Ghostbuster, frazzled DH
Youmacon 2014: (tentative) Captain Marvelous, Agent Simmons?, Ace from Doctor Who?
Chicago TARDIS 2014: (tentative) Fourth Doctor, Ace

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My blog / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#29 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:33 PM

View Posttfcreate, on Mar 11 2010, 09:11 PM, said:

Hey!
And it gets to be a real pain when they say no one is taking their pictures.
Sure they are. By the hundreds. Part of the problem is that they expect you (the photographer,) to find them and show them where the pictures are.
Not realistic since taking over a thousand shots is not unusual for a con. And if you go to 6 cons a year, the odds get ever longer. Yet you're expected to remember one face among thousands.
<_<
TFC

Almost everyone that goes usually has a camera! The only problem is that most don't share them =/
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#30 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:40 PM

View PostLeenStar, on Mar 15 2010, 04:42 PM, said:

I'm not a professional photographer.

I have some business cards (just some pictures, my name, email, and websites on them), but I'm not going to give them out to everyone I take a photo of. Probably only in situations where a decent conversation starts somehow.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users