• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Business Cards?

#1 User is offline   Ginrei 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 45753

Posted 23 December 2009 - 03:18 PM

Eek, sorry to start a second topic... but I have a question for all you arty peoples who have done this before!

Those of you who hand out business cards or give out little... card... advertise-y type things, how many do you usually go through? I'm about to order a bunch, and am wondering if 1,000 is crazy too much or crazy too little...

Thank you thank you!! :thumbup:

#2 User is offline   obakasan 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 2555

Posted 23 December 2009 - 03:22 PM

Always best to have too many than too few and lose out on potential biz. Plus if you have them printed commercially the price difference between 500 and 1000 is sometimes not much. Cheaper than getting two orders of 500. Of course if your info changes before you use up what you have and you have to hand correct them or <shudder> buy new updated ones...
This space intentionally left blank.

#3 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 23 December 2009 - 03:23 PM

Well my mom owned her own business and she said its really up to what you need them for and how many you will be giving out. Its best to buy a lot because you'll be using them for a while and depending on your business or what you need them for you can find ways to give them out like with each purchase or just handing them out.

So 1,000 isnt crazy if thats what you think you'll need.

Here is a site I found with really good tips about cards.

http://www.essortmen...cardse_scts.htm

And to add what obakasan said about having too many versus too little, you'd be mighty embarressed and could lose business if you dont have any cards on you and someone asks for a card. Its always good to keep a few on ya. =3
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#4 User is offline   jhim43 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 252

Posted 23 December 2009 - 06:56 PM

When making business cards there are some extra things to think about: Will you be stuck with lots of business cards with the wrong info if you move, get a new cel phone number, change your myspace id, or whatever?

On average, expect maybe 15,000 people to be at ACen (for example, It may be much more or less, but it seems a decent approximation) Out of 15,000
how many do you expect to pass through the Artists Alley. And out of those that do pass through Artist Alley, how many will take your business card?

Another factor is whether or not your design is simple, or will require frequent design changes.

If you go with a print on demand service, you are safe in short runs, allowing in changes. If you go with offset or traditional print services, you are more likely to have a product that can sit in a wallet longer without losing legibility.

But in the end, is a business card better than a flyer, even if cut in quarters of an 8 1/2" x 11" paper? It depends on what level of business you wish to convey.

While these may not be solid answers, these questions may help you formulate a decision more confidently.

#5 User is offline   Hellmaster Bean 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 9131

Posted 23 December 2009 - 08:07 PM

If you want something really distinctive that doesn't cost too horrible much I would suggest Moo Cards

I have some mini cards from them (They gave them out to Live journal members when they first opened) and I find them really nice.
Ya darn kids with your One Piece and your rock n' roll music! Get offa my Upper Yard!!

Cosplay for ACen '13
- Rarity: My Little Pony FIM
Come see my work at the art show! Plush bentos and Ponies!

Visit my DeviantArt Gallery for my latest plush creations and My Etsy Shop for sales

#6 User is offline   frzndaqiri 

• Webmistress
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 4043

Posted 24 December 2009 - 12:46 AM

I usually buy 500 at a time, and I've changed them a few times for various reasons. So I've tried to stick with less expensive cards so I didn't mind tossing some leftovers.
If the cost isn't too much, and you're confident on the information/layout/design of the card go with 1000 to be on the safe side. I can't say I've ever gone through 500 at a single con though.
2013 will be my 11th year at ACen! Staff for '09/'10/'11/'12/'13
Currently: Webmistress and Registration System Admin - my answers on them are as STAFF - PM if you need help

Come visit DisjointedImages in Artist's Alley for Cosplay photo buttons and custom made buttons
Get a button or upgrade it to a keychain/zipper pull/magnet/bottle opener/mirror for just a quarter more.
Visit the blog for latest news and contests! Disjointed Images Blog
100% guarantee on buttons. If it breaks, come see me for a FREE replacement.

#7 User is offline   Manifested Dreams 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 19370

Posted 24 December 2009 - 10:43 AM

The last time I bought business cards I think I got 2000 at once. I've gone through almost all of them now, so they lasted me about a year. Of course, I want to change the layout now so some might just get recycled.

Figure out how many conventions you plan to go to then go from there. I've gone through 500 cards at one show before, but that was Otakon. I personally would get 1000 cards. It'll cover you for Acen without a problem and if you change the design later you won't be stuck with a bunch of old version cards.

#8 User is offline   Otakumals 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 38475

Posted 26 December 2009 - 11:09 PM

I know personally I bought 1000 cards from Vista Print, they were pretty good for $35, glossy on thick card stock, but my problem was I moved up here to MI and I put my FL phone number on the cards >.< (luckally my URL and email address was on there as well). My advise to you is ALWAYS put your perm email addres and website on there, but don't put your number. You never know when you will move unexpectedly (like me)/kill your phone/ drop you phone in the toilet/etc.

And speaking of websites *plug plug* I am a Web/Graphic Designer by trade and I would like to suggest to ALL Artists that having your website be your Deviant Art link or your Etsy link is NOT a professional way to show off your work on a business card, nor will it get you search engine ranking. You really should invest in a website/URL that is dedicated to your portfolio and THEN put a link to your store(s) in the navigation. I offer affordable custom designed websites to Artists starting at $99, because I know how it is being an artist and not having hundreds of dollars to spend on your website (but it is quite possibly the most importaint tool you can have other than your pencil or mouse!). Check out my portfolio at http://www.colormanifestation.com for current designs, both graphic and web. *end plug ^_-*

This post has been edited by Otakumals: 26 December 2009 - 11:11 PM

<3 Stefanie
http://www.otakumals.com
Otakumals - Japanese Inspired Handmade Plush Dolls

#9 User is offline   thatreevesgirl 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 5892

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:44 AM

I do roughly a dozen conventions a year and I run out of business cards every stupid convention (I was too lazy to order some, and I liked having a variety of rainbow colors so I made my own). For the 2010 con season I ordered from uprinting.com and was very satisfied. I got 2000 business cards for about $40 including shipping. Their glossy cards are really nice, a bit better than Vistaprint's quality in my opinion (since I have a lot of friends who get theirs there). I'm hoping that 2000 lasts me most of the year since I'm doing less conventions in 2010 (I think, but that's what I thought last year too).

If you do more than than a couple conventions, then 1000 is not by any means too many (I think I go through 800ish at Acen and Detour), but then again I try to make it a point to talk to as many people as I can and give them a card. I guess it depends how proactive you are at handing them out.

#10 User is offline   frzndaqiri 

• Webmistress
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 4043

Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:31 AM

Another that I haven't used, but is highly recommended and they will send you samples: http://www.overnightprints.com/

I've used Vistaprint, and they are great for the price to quantity ratio, but not the best quality out there. I haven't had anything too bad to hand out, but some have. I'm also excellent with photoshop and know how to compensate on my design for bleed and such.
2013 will be my 11th year at ACen! Staff for '09/'10/'11/'12/'13
Currently: Webmistress and Registration System Admin - my answers on them are as STAFF - PM if you need help

Come visit DisjointedImages in Artist's Alley for Cosplay photo buttons and custom made buttons
Get a button or upgrade it to a keychain/zipper pull/magnet/bottle opener/mirror for just a quarter more.
Visit the blog for latest news and contests! Disjointed Images Blog
100% guarantee on buttons. If it breaks, come see me for a FREE replacement.

#11 User is offline   Crizl 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 356

Posted 03 January 2010 - 05:40 AM

I usually go through around 200-300 a con. Cards are nice to have, but I wouldn't stress too much over them. ^_~ To be honest, in the 5 years I have been doing artist alleys, I almost never get anyone contact me after a con via a business card. When people go home, they usually have tons of stuff and business cards get lost, or they just forget. (out of sight, out of mind, lol) I've noticed alot of kids just take cards just for the sake of taking them, they don't look at them and just put them in their pockets. Alot of other artists told me the same thing happens to them, we'll always bring plenty of cards, but don't spend too much on them, lol! Oddly enough I get more people contact me from seeing me on forums than business cards, and I barely post! ^^"

I second Vistaprint! They do a great job for good prices, also there's always the free ones you can get, all you do is pay the shipping! :D

#12 User is offline   thatreevesgirl 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 5892

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:40 PM

my friend rec'd a new printing site to me and I had to add it. They are very nice cards and cheaper than anything else I've found. www.gotprint.com

I was really impressed by the quality. ^__^

#13 User is offline   Emberlynn 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 50305

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:38 PM

View Postfrzndaqiri, on Dec 30 2009, 09:31 AM, said:

Another that I haven't used, but is highly recommended and they will send you samples: http://www.overnightprints.com/

I've used Vistaprint, and they are great for the price to quantity ratio, but not the best quality out there. I haven't had anything too bad to hand out, but some have. I'm also excellent with photoshop and know how to compensate on my design for bleed and such.

I can vouch for Overnight prints. I think their prices are insanely reasonable. I get double sided cards I'm still working through my last order though. I ordered 1k when they were having a good sale. the cards are thick and have a nice finish to them.
I don't care if you ARE the chosen one, this adventure requires PANTS.

#14 User is offline   stuffedpandastudios 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 18942

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:37 PM

I get about 500 cards because I like to change my design every once and a while - and 500 should keep you in the safe zone for at least one con. I go through vistaprint.com, and I am always really happy with their service and printing on everything I order!

#15 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 9607

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:42 PM

View PostGinrei, on Dec 23 2009, 04:18 PM, said:

Those of you who hand out business cards or give out little... card... advertise-y type things, how many do you usually go through? I'm about to order a bunch, and am wondering if 1,000 is crazy too much or crazy too little...

I think business cards are always good to have. I don't do Artist's Alley, but I always carry business cards in my wallet as they are a standard and easy way to exchange contact information with someone.

My latest design (I usually go with a photography theme and some general contact information):
http://www.flickr.co...065456/sizes/o/

Turned out okay, but I think I should have opted for glossy on the front side instead. :0:

I use vistaprint.com, but I just continue using them out of habit more than anything. Some of the other suggestions in this thread sound like good companies to try out.

I agree with Otakumals to avoid putting your phone on there. You can always write additional information on the card if you need to for whatever reason, just make sure there is some white space on the back.

#16 User is offline   Random McCrankyface 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 29111

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:13 PM

I went through about 250 cards at ABoston, a show that's comparably-sized to ACen--but I went through close to 200 at Tekko, which is about a fifth of ACen's size. It frequently depends on how many places you have the card displayed on your table. If it's easily found and accessible, more people will pick it up.

Vistaprint is a decent place for a good price, though their shipping costs can be a little brutal.

I don't put my phone number on the cards because I don't want people calling me. Think about the kind of calls you might get before you put a number on. Also consider the possibilities of someone you don't know randomly deciding to come visit you via reverse lookup.

Crazy otaku calling at 3:30am. Crazy otaku turning up on your porch. Yeep. There's no need to make it easy for them. :P

#17 User is offline   Noshi 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 35617

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:34 PM

I'll chime in with another Vistaprint review: their prices are great (make sure you use a coupon from their email newsletter if possible), and as long as you don't need it right away, the shipping is reasonable.

The quality is good, UNLESS alignment is crucial. We made a business card that had art all around the border, and the cutting was inconsistent through all the cards. Some were centered properly, but a lot had one edge margin wider than another. But as long as you don't have art going into the bleed are of the edge, you should be fine.
Noshi, chief webmonkey of Katsuyama Studios
We had a great time in ACen Artist's Alley 2010!

#18 User is offline   Ginrei 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 45753

Posted 06 May 2010 - 04:29 PM

I ended up going with gotprint.com because their shipping prices/times were crazy lower than anywhere else I looked. I had some trouble getting it aligned, 'cause it's double-sided... but my sister, who designed the card for me, insisted that it needed to be double-sided because the back "is so pretty and fits so well with the theme of the card~!<3" :rolleyes: Aaah, graphic designers.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users