Anime Central Forums: "how To Make Your Own Plushie Mascot" Panel - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

"how To Make Your Own Plushie Mascot" Panel Hosted by Stefanie Shall of Otakumals

#1 User is offline   Otakumals 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 38475

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:05 PM

I just submitted my panel for ACEN 2010 and I wanted to get some feedback from you, the con-goers! A few of you may have already attended my panel at other conventions, if so, let me know what you would like to see out of this panel!

In the past I have done a Ninja and a Panda.. this upcoming year I attend to have a new plush mascot for every con I go to. What kind of mascot do you think would be good for ACEN?

Panel Name: "How to make your own Plushie Mascot" Panel

Panel Rating: Anyone, the pattern/materials are easy enough so anyone can sew.

"How to make your own Plushie Mascot" - [time/date TBA] Have you ever wanted to make your own little mascot, but don't have the sewing knowledge, time, or help to do so? The "How to make your own Plushie Mascot" panel will show you how to make a 5"-8" felt plush doll that comes with a little keychain. The panel will run about 2 hours long and there will be a $5 fee to participate. Materials will be supplied, but seating is limited to the first 100 people through the door. Hosted by Stefanie Shall of Otakumals (www.otakumals.com).

<3 Stefanie
http://www.otakumals.com
Otakumals - Japanese Inspired Handmade Plush Dolls

#2 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 9629

Posted 18 December 2009 - 11:20 PM

Oooo I love this idea! I know how to sew, but when it comes to making plushies I find it hard to figure out a pattern. If I can manage the time off from staffing I'd totally come to this panel! :D

As far as a mascot, well we do have Acen mascots, though you might have to ask for permission to use them. Something else that I think would be popular (based on a thread we had going a while back) would be an IRT operative plushie. :) I know I'd love one!
Special Needs and Compliance DH for Acen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
Acen 2014: 50s Sailor Mercury, Agent Simmons from S.H.I.E.L.D., Kim Possible, Ghostbuster, frazzled DH
Youmacon 2014: (tentative) Captain Marvelous, Agent Simmons?, Ace from Doctor Who?
Chicago TARDIS 2014: (tentative) Fourth Doctor, Ace

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My blog / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#3 User is offline   animefarie 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 18231

Post icon  Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:03 AM

ooh I L-O-V-E this idea! I just started getting into making plushies! I would love to see how someone else goes about it! Yay! can i sign up now?! Lol...
A-cen 2013 Cosplays

Eevee
Zombie Power Puff Steampunk Time keeper

A-cen '11/'12 Nanaki Lolita Moogle MajorMotoko
A-cen '09 Sanosuke Sagara Squall Leonhart
A-cen '08 Bible Black

#4 User is offline   Otakumals 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:46 PM

I'll most likely have a pre-reg sign up sheet at my booth for Friday... but pre-reg is limited so I dont have to turna bunch of people away at the door.
<3 Stefanie

#5 User is offline   Manifested Dreams 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 19370

Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:23 PM

I'm totally going to try to hit this panel up.

I didn't get to go during Anime Crossroads(I tend to latch myself to the table) but everyone should know it was a HUGE success. Many people were proudly toting their plush. It's totally worth it and Stephanie is awesome. Can't wait :3

As for mascots, it might be neat to make fanplush of the Acen Mascots themselves? I think a little tie and hat would be freaking adorable.

#6 User is offline   Otakumals 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 23 December 2009 - 09:17 PM

View PostManifested Dreams, on Dec 22 2009, 12:23 AM, said:

I'm totally going to try to hit this panel up.

I didn't get to go during Anime Crossroads(I tend to latch myself to the table) but everyone should know it was a HUGE success. Many people were proudly toting their plush. It's totally worth it and Stephanie is awesome. Can't wait :3

As for mascots, it might be neat to make fanplush of the Acen Mascots themselves? I think a little tie and hat would be freaking adorable.

Daaaawwwww thank you, it feels nice to be called awesome hehe... and yes, it was an overwelming success :) I love your bloops and katamari balls ^_^ ...I hope we can hang out at ACEN more, I felt bad that you left early at AC, but I understand completely how that all goes
<3 Stefanie

#7 User is offline   FrenchSpy 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 47323

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:06 AM

oh my.
I've always wanted to make a plushie of my own...
I am SO there >:3

#8 User is offline   HaruHE 

• Calendar Angel
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 10773

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:08 AM

Well now, I'd certainly love to do this, I think I may just drop by.
Once more returned to the forums. 2013 ideas:
Hieda No Akyu: Project Touhou
Shadow Yukiko Amagi: Persona 4
Kyouko Sakura (Magic form): Magi Madoka Magica

#9 User is offline   otakubunny 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 47839

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:40 PM

how cute ^.^ now thats something to get excited over
I want a Lawyer, I want a Doctor, I want a cheese sandwich

#10 User is offline   Otakumals 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:40 PM

The plushie panel at Ohayocon was a great success, and I can't wait to come to ACEN to do my panel. I have already started planning on what I would like to do, and I think I may have to do something easier than the Pen-gin because a few people didn't get finished in time ;_;. Any suggestions?
<3 Stefanie

#11 User is offline   Otakumals 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:14 PM

In the next week (or so) I will be unveiling what we are going to be making at my How to Make a Plushie Panel! Be sure to check back, it will be awesome! Remember, I will only have 100 packets available, so be sure to line up early, or come pre-reg at my table in Artist Alley!
<3 Stefanie

#12 User is offline   Otakumals 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 30 April 2010 - 02:21 PM

Here it is.... The design for ACEN '10 ...The Soot Bunny ^_^ . The inspiration came from a previous thread, and from my seemingly countless hours spent cleaning up after my daughter ^^; ....If only one of her toys would come to life and help me out!

Soot Bunny Design

Let me know what you think! I am hoping that this pattern will be simple enough for even the newest of crafters to be able to finish in our two hour time frame, but we will see ^^;
<3 Stefanie

#13 User is offline   Falling_Demon 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 16834

Posted 30 April 2010 - 02:28 PM

That bunny is so cute! Hopefully I can stop by the panel :D
ACen 2012: Tsubaki (Soul Eater)

#14 User is offline   Otakumals 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 04 May 2010 - 12:00 PM

View PostFalling_Demon, on Apr 30 2010, 04:28 PM, said:

That bunny is so cute! Hopefully I can stop by the panel :D

I hope so too, its a fun event and a great way to show off your talents!
<3 Stefanie

#15 User is offline   Otakumals 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:25 AM

I just wanted to thank everyone for coming to my panel, and I am deeply sorry if we had to turn any of you away/refund you your door fee if I ran out of kits. This is why I have a pre-registration list at my table so people really interested can make sure they get in.

I was awarded "Best Workshop Panel" by ACEN on Sunday afternoon, and they invited me back next year to run an even bigger panel!! Hopefully our space will be even bigger, and we will have enough tables/chairs for many more to attend (however, just remember that pre-registering is your friend!)

I would like to hear your feedback if you attended my panel so I can make it better.... Other than the scissors issue (which will be fixed, Im going to buy 100 scissors for the next time I run my panel to speed things up), what could I do to make your experience better? Were you able to follow the pattern with ease? Did you create a custom mascot by deviating from my pattern? Did you have a fun time interacting with others? Did you like your kit, was it enough for you, and will it help you for the rest of the convention? Was the time/date good for you? Please let me know anything and everything you have on your mind....I want to make this panel one that people can't WAIT to go to at any convention I attend as Otakumals!!!
<3 Stefanie

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users