Youmacon 2010 Oct. 28th - 31st Detroit Marriott

#391 User is offline   this_chick25 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 7489

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:48 PM

View PostRanko, on 01 November 2010 - 12:48 PM, said:

Thank you both for the supportive replies XD, it made me feel a lot better.

And Shay, it made my day to have someone recognize me from the forums XD, you were the first one to do it, =).

Excuse my wording, but were you the giant nun? I wanted to get a photo of you, but I didn't have my camera!
Acen Attendee since 2001
Wondering how much to save for ACen? Click here!
FREE! Cosplay construction and materials advice--get yours now!
Never cause more mischief than that which is necessary for success.
Sig invade'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd by Alk <3

#392 User is offline   Ranko 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 54494

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:39 PM

View PostKirbyFanOne, on 01 November 2010 - 08:35 PM, said:

I saw both of you at the Masquerade (which was mostly lack luster for skits, save for the MC who did stand up). You were both awesome from what I saw, and Ranko is right about his size 0-0

Yea, was pretty psyched being noticed after the masquerade, and I try not to lie, even on the internet, XD If I say I'm extremely tall, I am XD.

View Postthis_chick25, on 01 November 2010 - 08:48 PM, said:

Excuse my wording, but were you the giant nun? I wanted to get a photo of you, but I didn't have my camera!

Indeed that was me, lol, oh and don't worry about that phrasing lol, I said those exact words more than once lol.

This post has been edited by Ranko: 01 November 2010 - 10:41 PM

facebook- because you can never have too many friends!

http://www.facebook....hp?id=607874283

PSN ID: Ranma344

This keyboard of mine glows with an awesome power! It's burning feel tells me to post here! Take this, my knowledge, my opinion, and all of my awesomeness! SHINING POST!

#393 User is offline   stumpy1337 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 45996

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:20 AM

i was going 2 go this year but i didnt have money and my parents wouldnt let me go.
ACEN year 6 here i come

#394 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 7281

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:46 AM

Well since I worked at the con, my weekend might be a little different then others. But I still had a great time. Didn't really go to any panels or anything except for the digimon one. Course I really didn't have time for anything else. But the rave was fun, got to see T_C and Knives, and I got to do other things. I just hope we can fix the reg line for next year. That was just horriable. Gonna look at the layout and talk to people about where to put it next year.
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#395 User is offline   Kitana_Matsuri 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 4464

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:51 PM

I was surprised how many people I recognized and knew showed up. I think it may or may not have a little to do with the deceased Reactor, but that's just my hypothesis. Regardless, that was an awesome weekend. Elevator fiasco aside.
No joke. It's all about hookers and hopscotch. Sometimes strippers and burritos.

#396 User is offline   Ranko 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:59 PM

View PostKitana_Matsuri, on 02 November 2010 - 01:51 PM, said:

I was surprised how many people I recognized and knew showed up. I think it may or may not have a little to do with the deceased Reactor, but that's just my hypothesis. Regardless, that was an awesome weekend. Elevator fiasco aside.

Oh my god the elevators... I'm way too nice for that kind of situation... I must have spent an hour per time just letting people go by me because I didn't want to force my way in front of people... even if I was there first...

This keyboard of mine glows with an awesome power! It's burning feel tells me to post here! Take this, my knowledge, my opinion, and all of my awesomeness! SHINING POST!

#397 User is offline   Krystal 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 14958

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:52 PM

Not gonna lie. The staff at Youmacon ruined my weekend. They were worse than IRT EVER was. In the review thread, I said that there needs to be psychological evaluation/questionnaire on the volunteer application, because this year, there were people who should not have been responsible for others' safety. I had also mentioned this would be a good idea for IRT last year, since it's what I had to do to teach martial arts, and we have never had a problem with instructors.

This post has been edited by Krystal: 07 April 2011 - 08:50 AM

Acen 2011: I lost my red kodak camera. If you found it, PLEASE contact me. I really miss it.

#398 User is offline   Shay 

• Pocky Girl
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 8706

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:00 PM

View PostKrystal, on 02 November 2010 - 09:52 PM, said:

Not gonna lie. The staff at Youmacon ruined my weekend. They were worse than IRT EVER was. In the review thread, I said that there needs to be psychological evaluation/questionnaire on the volunteer application, because this year, there were people who should not have been responsible for others' safety. I had also mentioned this would be a good idea for IRT last year, since it's what I had to do to teach martial arts, and we have never had a problem with instructors.

I hate to say it, but your post did make it sound like you were questioning the mental stability of the staff, though I'm sure you didn't intend it to sound that way. Saying that psychological evaluation should be necessary for staff is a touchy subject, because a lot of people are going to take it badly. Not saying that you weren't correct in making it as a suggestion, but the way you worded it probably wasn't the best. *shrug*

Every convention has some bad apples on a staff. The best thing that you can do is to report that staff member (description, badge name, etc) so that the con management can decide if that staff member of volunteer is welcome back. That's true at all conventions. The ConChair of Youmacon does look at things like that... I might not agree with him on a lot of decisions, but he does want to make the attendees happy, and they have suspended/banned staff previously for inappropriate behavior.

I'm sorry that you had problems. I didn't have any problems with staff, but I was mostly working in the dealer's room and I'm friends with all of the staff in there, as well as most of the permanent staff in the Ops department, so that's where I "hid" most of the weekend.

A lot of the problems that Youmacon had this year will be resolved in the future, since many of them were actually caused by the hotel because the hotel was not aware (and wouldn't listen to) how large the convention was going to be. Mr. Marriott assured the convention that things will be better next year and the hotel learned a lot. So that will take care of MOST of the issues... but regarding staffing, the best thing you can do to report any staffer is to give a description/name/etc along with what they did. Send a PM to the person who created the thread (mgperkow) since he will make sure that everything is followed up on - he's one of the nicest and most dedicated staffers I know. And hopefully things will get better.

*hugs*

#399 User is offline   Ranko 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:07 PM

View PostKrystal, on 02 November 2010 - 09:52 PM, said:

I don't know, a lot of the staff was really nice to me. In fact there were some points when I was waiting in line that I chatted with a couple of the staffers keeping the lines in order, and they seemed very polite. They didn't yell, they simply asked people politely to move back into place. That said, I'm sure there were some bad staffers, there always are, but I had no problems.

#400 User is offline   Krystal 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:09 PM

I dunno. I got yelled at by that one person and his girlfriend, but I seriously think that ALL security positions need a psychological evaluation. I'm not saying anyone needs to go to a therapist, but if people are predisposed to anger, they probably should be in less stressful departments unless they've for sure got everything under control. I understand what it sounded like, but I'm not calling people crazy. I'm saying that people who did not belong as a volunteer were chosen because there is NO screening. I don't know how you guys do it at Acen, but I heard at Youmacon, they chose volunteers AT the con.

Why can't you send in an application to be a volunteer before the con starts in order to have the best possible team chosen?

Call me cold-hearted, but I think that putting completely random people in charge over 9,000 congoers is trouble.
Acen 2011: I lost my red kodak camera. If you found it, PLEASE contact me. I really miss it.

#401 User is offline   Shay 

• Pocky Girl
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8706

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:20 PM

View PostKrystal, on 02 November 2010 - 10:09 PM, said:

I dunno. I got yelled at by that one person and his girlfriend, but I seriously think that ALL security positions need a psychological evaluation. I'm not saying anyone needs to go to a therapist, but if people are predisposed to anger, they probably should be in less stressful departments unless they've for sure got everything under control. I understand what it sounded like, but I'm not calling people crazy. I'm saying that people who did not belong as a volunteer were chosen because there is NO screening. I don't know how you guys do it at Acen, but I heard at Youmacon, they chose volunteers AT the con.

Why can't you send in an application to be a volunteer before the con starts in order to have the best possible team chosen?

Call me cold-hearted, but I think that putting completely random people in charge over 9,000 congoers is trouble.

Staff members are NOT chosen at the con. Volunteers are people who choose to volunteer at the con itself, but they are not staff. There might be a few volunteers helping with lines, but they are volunteers (and would have a wide volunteer badge behind their normal badge so it sticks out on either side) and are NOT staff. Every con (including ACEN) will have people who volunteer to help while they are at the con... the con depends on people volunteering, but once again, these people are not staff members.

Actual staff at Youmacon are interviewed by the Department Heads before they're accepted on staff. Security are all brought in through the person who has been running Security since Year 1 and those are all decided pre-con and are usually the same people every year as well.

As for psychological evaluations... no con can afford to do that for staff members. Frankly, if a con required me to have a psychological evaluation for a staff or volunteer position that I receive NO pay for and NO thanks, I wouldn't staff. And anyone who has met me knows that I'm a cute & fun girl, but when I work I bust my chops and do the best I can while trying not to piss people off. But even knowing that I could pass a psychological evaluation easily, I still wouldn't go it. If my job that I get paid for doesn't require one, why should a convention that I am not paid at require it?

Also, people are able to fool psychological evaluations pretty easily... you just need to know what answers to give. I worked for a Mental Health Clinic for a while so I know that for a fact. But since staff member normally keep staffing year after year and are interviewed by the department head (even if it's just over chat or phone) that does help weed out the aggressive ones.

And once again, if you have a complaint against a staff member OR a volunteer, the best thing you can do is give a description of the person, their name, and the problem.

This post has been edited by Shay: 02 November 2010 - 10:22 PM

#402 User is offline   Krystal 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:28 PM

View PostShay, on 02 November 2010 - 10:20 PM, said:

Staff members are NOT chosen at the con. Volunteers are people who choose to volunteer at the con itself, but they are not staff. There might be a few volunteers helping with lines, but they are volunteers (and would have a wide volunteer badge behind their normal badge so it sticks out on either side) and are NOT staff. Every con (including ACEN) will have people who volunteer to help while they are at the con... the con depends on people volunteering, but once again, these people are not staff members.

Actual staff at Youmacon are interviewed by the Department Heads before they're accepted on staff. Security are all brought in through the person who has been running Security since Year 1 and those are all decided pre-con and are usually the same people every year as well.

As for psychological evaluations... no con can afford to do that for staff members. Frankly, if a con required me to have a psychological evaluation for a staff or volunteer position that I receive NO pay for and NO thanks, I wouldn't staff. And anyone who has met me knows that I'm a cute & fun girl, but when I work I bust my chops and do the best I can while trying not to piss people off. But even knowing that I could pass a psychological evaluation easily, I still wouldn't go it. If my job that I get paid for doesn't require one, why should a convention that I am not paid at require it?

Also, people are able to fool psychological evaluations pretty easily... you just need to know what answers to give. I worked for a Mental Health Clinic for a while so I know that for a fact. But since staff member normally keep staffing year after year and are interviewed by the department head (even if it's just over chat or phone) that does help weed out the aggressive ones.

And once again, if you have a complaint against a staff member OR a volunteer, the best thing you can do is give a description of the person, their name, and the problem.

Sorry, sorry. I meant volunteers. It's hard to not call people working "staff". They all look the same to me. XD

#403 User is offline   MBluesummers 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 3768

Posted 03 November 2010 - 01:12 AM

Gentlemen!

Augh that con was so much fun, seriously. Though there are some aspects that need quite a bit of work. I am sure most of this will be fixed, nothing but new convention center voodoo.

Well, time to make plans for ohayocon now!

#404 User is offline   ngsilver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 2476

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:45 AM

View PostKrystal, on 02 November 2010 - 10:28 PM, said:

Sorry, sorry. I meant volunteers. It's hard to not call people working "staff". They all look the same to me. XD

I saw part of the conversation after it had already been moved to our mod boards. Please forward all the replies/responses from this staffer to me and I will bring this up at our staff meetings (and amongst the mods.) Our staff should by no means be demeaning our attendees in any way and I seem to remember that being part of our staff code of conduct considering I helped write the thing.

If you have any issue with a staffer, especially on the forums, don't hesitate to forward your grievance on to me. I haven't had a chance to review the feedback thread in it's entirety yet, but from what I've heard from others there has been a gross lack of proper customer relations and general courtesy coming from our staff on our own forums that needs to be addressed.

I'm sorry your experience was hindered by these events. By bringing them to my attention I will see to it that they WILL be addressed.
-Nate
AMV ADH/Secretary - ACEN 2011, 2010, 2009
AMV Staff - ACEN 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005

Music Video Contest Coordinator - Video/Audio Track(VAT) DH - Youmacon 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005

The AMV Wars - Chairman - Lead MC
This Week in AMVs

#405 User is offline   Krystal 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:53 AM

View Postngsilver, on 03 November 2010 - 09:45 AM, said:

I saw part of the conversation after it had already been moved to our mod boards. Please forward all the replies/responses from this staffer to me and I will bring this up at our staff meetings (and amongst the mods.) Our staff should by no means be demeaning our attendees in any way and I seem to remember that being part of our staff code of conduct considering I helped write the thing.

If you have any issue with a staffer, especially on the forums, don't hesitate to forward your grievance on to me. I haven't had a chance to review the feedback thread in it's entirety yet, but from what I've heard from others there has been a gross lack of proper customer relations and general courtesy coming from our staff on our own forums that needs to be addressed.

I'm sorry your experience was hindered by these events. By bringing them to my attention I will see to it that they WILL be addressed.

I can't, it's fine. It's not a staffer that was rude to me. It was the fiance of a Department Head, which makes them kind of rule-proof anyway, since you can't really reprimand someone who's going to be married to someone really important. I had posted the message on here, because quite frankly, I don't care if it's kept private or not, and as the message said, no mod would side with me on this one.

#406 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• Honorary Forum Therapist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 447

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:22 PM

The fact that they are bringing that up as part of an argument still means that someone has to talk to the person and be like, "Hey, your fiance is causing problems. You need to talk to him/her and get it under control." Basically they are trying to say I'm important even though I'm not Youma staff. If this person is causing problems and being a detriment to the con and their attendees, the con should look at removing them or at least warning them that this kind of behavior will not be tolerated no matter what their relation to staff is.

Regardless, anytime you have a bad experience with staff or the con in general, you should always let the convention know so that they can correct it in the future. Blogging about it, posting about it on facebook, or something like that means that the con is probably not going to see it. If they can't see it, they can't fix it. It sounds like you did the right thing, but I encourage you to follow up on it and do it again in the future. A con should never insult you for making a suggestion. Simply thank the person and explain why you can or can not implement and look at something like that.

As someone who runs a con of his own, I love it when we get suggestions from the attendees. I get a lot of your con was awesome, but specific things we did right or wrong are more useful in the long run to making us better in the future. Those are always my favorite things to hear from attendees even if we can not implement every suggestion we get.

Sorry to hear about your experiences Krystal. Really though, follow up on things and keep going up the ladder if you have to. And if you get high enough, I know the con chair of Youma. Hes not going to tolerate people making his con look bad.
Armageddicon!!
Columbus, OH December 21-23, 2012
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/

#407 User is offline   Krystal 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 November 2010 - 04:33 PM

I reported the message and posted suggestions in the review thread.

The report was dismissed and the posts were removed.

#408 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 03 November 2010 - 04:57 PM

I would start emailing people directly. As felf said, move up the chain of command. Forums are not the only way of contacting people. Actually more one on one, vs public forums, may be the way to be heard.
No Soap = No Waifu Winner of the 2015 "Got Soap" slogan contest. ;)

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#409 User is offline   Femme Fatale 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7220

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:48 PM

View PostFlyingElf, on 01 November 2010 - 10:31 AM, said:

Plus any event where they give me a microphone and tell me to act like an elitist jerk is good too.

And Femme, its cool. I'm just really sick of that attitude about Detroit. Yeah, it was bad in the early 90s, but now its actually pretty nice down there in a lot of areas. The reason it keeps getting such a bad rap is that people keep talking crap about it because of rumors they hear without any basis of fact behind it. So like I said, its cool. I understand it was probably meant as a joke, but its one made so often its not taken as a joke by most.

I graciously accept your apology man :thumbup: .

I'll be there in 2011!
Excel's Big Sis

Coming Soon to ACen 2015

Celestia Ludenberg (Dangan Ronpa) and Female Ezio Auditore di Firenze (Assassins Creed)

#410 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:51 PM

Detroit doesn't seem like that bad of a place. Granted it was my first visit and I was close to the riverfront and the Joe Louis arena and such, always with at least one ally, and never really venturing outside.

It feels like Chicago, but with more abandoned buildings.
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#411 User is offline   ngsilver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 2476

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:49 PM

View PostKrystal, on 03 November 2010 - 04:33 PM, said:

I reported the message and posted suggestions in the review thread.

The report was dismissed and the posts were removed.

Your posts are not gone by any stretch of the imagination. They just can't be seen by the general populous. They are still around and if I get my way they will be moved back in some form to the general view. Or at the least be used as they are intended. One of our mods has been a little trigger happy over the last few days and I'm trying to figure out exactly who this 'approving' mod is. Either way, the issue will be dealt with, I can assure you of that, even if I have to wring the con chair's neck in order for it to sink in ^^()
-Nate
AMV ADH/Secretary - ACEN 2011, 2010, 2009
AMV Staff - ACEN 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005

Music Video Contest Coordinator - Video/Audio Track(VAT) DH - Youmacon 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005

The AMV Wars - Chairman - Lead MC
This Week in AMVs

#412 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6130

Posted 06 November 2010 - 03:13 PM

Well, I had fun at youma and got to see some of my usual people.

Though knives in his costume did hinder my travel once or twice :[

If anything I was surprised by how the people in the smoking group out front was almost always the same people. :o
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2007 - Present - Forums Manager
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

#413 User is offline   SpicyNinjaCat 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 10841

Posted 07 November 2010 - 01:02 AM

I'll be honest. I saw more hotel staff and officers than the Youma staff themselves, so I can't comment on how staff were. I did have a great time at Youma though.
I was in the parking lot from the false fire alarm in '12.
I overcame the ACen rapture in '11.
I survived the ACen fire in '10.
I dodged the H1N1 outbreak in '09.
I was denied ice cream at the ACen 10th Anniversary ice cream social in '07.

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users