• This topic is locked

Shoes?

#1 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 28448

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:28 PM

Okay, so last year was my first year cosplaying as Saya, from Black Cat, and by the time I left Friday night (I live in the city), my feet were in excruciating pain and I hadn't even really walked all that much, the reason being that she wears platform flip flops. Satruday, I wore a pair of flap flipflops and changed shoes for pictures, but my feet were already so messed up from the day before, that it didn't really matter. I was wondering if there's a way of making flipflops more comfortable (mainly between the toes), and maybe put less stress on my ankles. If I have to, I'll just find some comfier shoes to wear when I'm not posing for photos, but if there's a way to avoid dealing with changing shoes for every pic, I'd prefer that. Thanks.

This post has been edited by Kaay-chan: 07 October 2009 - 08:29 PM

Cosplay 2012: Mitsuki Saya (Black Cat), Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai)
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;

"A blank piece of paper is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God."
-Sidney Sheldon

#2 User is offline   Millions_Knives 

• Masquerade Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 8636

Posted 07 October 2009 - 11:33 PM

ha ha ha
thats one of the first lessons every cosplayer learns
i lost about a table spoon of blood my first year
ha ha ha

for your slippers
the platforms could be separate and you just stand on them when you take a pic
but there are a number of things you cloud do

~rants off in corner~
want to learn about cosplay materials? click here->my youtube cosplay tips and tricks<-click here

#3 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 07 October 2009 - 11:40 PM

For flip flops, if anything i'd get some foam of some sort and tape it between that icky plastic crap (or other materials they use for those) and possibly using some cushion? I've never cosplayed in flip flops and they usually hurt my feet anyway so I avoid them. ;__;

Sorry I cant be of much help. Maybe you could try searching through cosplay.coms forums. They might have already brought up this before.
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#4 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:56 PM

A friend of mine said maybe athletic tape might help with the ankles...
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;

-Sidney Sheldon

#5 User is offline   waltzofthemoon 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 16165

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:13 PM

Making sure you wear comfy shoes is super important when cosplaying (I should know, I'm wearing a pair of boots with 5-inch heels next year *dies*). I would get some gel inserts, like Dr. Scholl's. They make some specifically for open shoes such as sandals (see here). They also have some coupons. Inserts totally save my feet when I'm walking around in crazy shoes all weekend.
2014 Cosplay
Koala [ONE PIECE]
Mom [HOMESTUCK]
Irene Adler [SHERLOCK]

#6 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 October 2009 - 02:20 PM

View Postwaltzofthemoon, on Oct 12 2009, 04:13 PM, said:

Making sure you wear comfy shoes is super important when cosplaying (I should know, I'm wearing a pair of boots with 5-inch heels next year *dies*). I would get some gel inserts, like Dr. Scholl's. They make some specifically for open shoes such as sandals (see here). They also have some coupons. Inserts totally save my feet when I'm walking around in crazy shoes all weekend.

Do they make something for flipflops, though? I don't think most shoe inserts would be compatible because of the part that goes between the toes....

-Sidney Sheldon

#7 User is offline   waltzofthemoon 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 16165

Posted 14 October 2009 - 03:23 PM

View PostKaay-chan, on Oct 14 2009, 04:20 PM, said:

Do they make something for flipflops, though? I don't think most shoe inserts would be compatible because of the part that goes between the toes....

If they don't, you might be able to modify them; I don't think it would be hard to cut a small portion out so that they fit properly. If not, maybe you could go with your other plan of wearing a more comfortable pair of shoes while walking around and put the sandals on for photos.
2014 Cosplay
Koala [ONE PIECE]
Mom [HOMESTUCK]
Irene Adler [SHERLOCK]

#8 User is offline   Inugin 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 36956

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:37 PM

How to make flip flops comfortable? Hmm, I would either suggest getting a pair that had leather for the thong part or some sort of fabric...you could make it yourself also if you already had the plastic kind. I've had to sew different straps on before. That's one suggestion.

Another suggestion is to get the 'cushion' pieces that they make for the back of your foot for high heels, and wrap that sucker around the toe piece. I've never done that, but I know that cushion has saved the back side of my heel with shoes in the past.

Never tried the sole thing, though as waltzofthemoon said, I doubt it would be that hard to just snip a little of it away. Doubt it will effect the piece at all, in the long run either.
"what made you think Denny's was in walking distance?"-A
"because it looks close on the map"-R
"...." Whips out map "THIS looks CLOSE to you?! The dots are on separate sides of the map!"-A
"well it looked close together in the hotel room!"-R

#9 User is offline   this_chick25 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 7489

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:53 AM

If you're going to change shoes for pics anyway, why not just go with a pair of low-key slippers?

$5 at Wal-mart, inserts fit fine, and you're off!
Acen Attendee since 2001
Wondering how much to save for ACen? Click here!
FREE! Cosplay construction and materials advice--get yours now!
Never cause more mischief than that which is necessary for success.
Sig invade'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd by Alk <3

#10 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:56 AM

I just want to clarify: I'm trying to see if it isn't possible for me to not have to change shoes, while still not completely destroying my feet. The main issues are the bit that goes between the toes (any suggestions on what I could put there to make it less painful? or should I just use bandaids?), and the ankle, because of the stress that's put on them by the weight of the shoes.

I actually already have the shoes, because this is the same cosplay I did last year (I just need to make some adjustments). Unfortunately, I won't be able to post any pictures of them until late November, because it's a $45 3-4 hour train ride back home from my college unless it's booked months in advance.

-Sidney Sheldon

#11 User is offline   this_chick25 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 7489

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:07 PM

::shrugs::

Oh well... there's really not a way to do that that isn't obvious from most viewpoints. Flip flops don't cover much, after all, so any substantial padding is going to show.

Band-aids are going to eventually come off. The only thing I can think of is to wrap a strip of Foamies that is the same color as the toe part around that area and sew it closed, but that'd probably show as well. Other than that, there are gel toe-straighteners that you could probably alter, but it depends on whether you can actually pull the thong part out of the base of the shoe.
Acen Attendee since 2001
Wondering how much to save for ACen? Click here!
FREE! Cosplay construction and materials advice--get yours now!
Never cause more mischief than that which is necessary for success.
Sig invade'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd by Alk <3

#12 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:38 PM

Okay, sorry for necro-ing this thread, but I didn't see a point in making a new thread for the same thing.

I finally got around to taking pictures of my shoes, so...yeah. ^.^ here they are.

http://i78.photobuck...an/P1000560.jpg

http://i78.photobuck...an/P1000562.jpg

http://i78.photobuck...an/P1000563.jpg

any help I can get on this would be much appreciated.

-Sidney Sheldon

#13 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:43 PM

I'm too sure if this will work for you, but I have done this before with flip flops that REALLY hurt me. I CAREFULLY took out the strap part and left the holes, so the flip flops were just...the shoes. xD
Then, use some fabric (maybe felts or something if you want to go cheap) I just just used an old pair of flip flops and took the strap out of those (the shoes were DESTROYED but the strap was good! xD!!!), and then I super glued in the fabric in the new flip flops. I let the glue dry and they worked. Unfortunately I don't have a picture because I did this like 5 years ago and the flip flops died xD but it really did work and I was fine with everything and the strap felt nice.

I know it sounds complicated kind of but it's really easy.

OR, if worse comes to worse, you could wrap that little strap that goes between your toes with cotton balls or some felt. :)

hope I helped ^____^
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#14 User is offline   Rini 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 17020

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:49 PM

O___O

Hmm.

try wrapping medical gauze around the prong part maybe?
<(^_^)> Rewr :3

#15 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:31 PM

View Postrini, on Feb 10 2010, 05:49 PM, said:

O___O

Hmm.

try wrapping medical gauze around the prong part maybe?

Isn't that stuff kinda rough? I'd imagine that would just make things worse....

-Sidney Sheldon

#16 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:45 AM

Okay, so while browsing through the Dr. Scholls website, I came across these products and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them and could tell me how well they work.

http://www.drscholls.com/drscholls/product...mp;searchArg=69

http://www.drscholls.com/drscholls/product...mp;searchArg=68

Also, question about their shoe inserts (I'm looking mainly at this one: http://www.drscholls.com/drscholls/product...p;searchArg=60# ): When the package says "gel" does it mean that they have actual gel in them or are they using that word to describe the material they use to make their products? The reason I'm asking is because if I use them I'd have to cut a slit for where the thong goes, and I don't want any gooey stuff leaking out when I do.

Thanks for any and all input on the matter.

-Sidney Sheldon

#17 User is offline   simonsaz3 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8785

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:36 PM

View PostKaay-chan, on Mar 2 2010, 12:45 AM, said:

Okay, so while browsing through the Dr. Scholls website, I came across these products and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them and could tell me how well they work.

http://www.drscholls.com/drscholls/product...mp;searchArg=69

http://www.drscholls.com/drscholls/product...mp;searchArg=68

Also, question about their shoe inserts (I'm looking mainly at this one: http://www.drscholls.com/drscholls/product...p;searchArg=60# ): When the package says "gel" does it mean that they have actual gel in them or are they using that word to describe the material they use to make their products? The reason I'm asking is because if I use them I'd have to cut a slit for where the thong goes, and I don't want any gooey stuff leaking out when I do.

Thanks for any and all input on the matter.

Hmm, I've read some really mixed reviews; some say it worked just fine but others complained about these causing more blisters and how they'd just slip right off. There were also some comfortability issues.

As for the gel, I'm not sure but from the sounds of it, it sounds like it is really gel.
~Saaema
deviantART || Cosplays
=D
**Need help making something? Check this guide for tutorials!**

Hubby: '07: Elite Beat Agent ||
'08: Makoto Shishio ||'09: Cobra Commander ||'10: Golbez ||'11: Cats ||'12: Makoto Shishio
Me: '07: Cloaked Zelda ||'08: Myself =P ||'09: Queen Rutela ||'10: Fi (Skyward Sword) ||'11: Tali'Zorah ||'12: ??

#18 User is offline   slrphebos 

• Customer Service Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 974

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:09 PM

As someone that wears flip flops basically year round minus the snowy part of winter, my advice is if you are not used to flip flops then all of a sudden wear them for an entire weekend you know how bad you are going to regret it. Wear the flip flops exclusive for a few weeks before hand so your feet get used to the shifting weight. I have a couple pairs of platform flip flops and have done mall trips in them and conventions, but I guess I'm used to them so I don't notice it as much anymore. If you got cheapy flip flops (plastic thong) wrap that plastic in roll gauze or self adhering ace wraps and that will help to a degree. The fact your ankle bugs you is your normal shoes probably have nice arch support where with flip flops you got none or next to none.

Just bottom line is if you aren't used to those flip flops before a con, you will regret it at a con. Either skip it or switch shoes or get a pair you can wear all day and not kill your feet. Breaks will help, but not by much.
~Ri-chan
ACen 2013-2014: Customer Service

2013 Cosplay: Team Aqua Grunt (100%), Fluttershy Sweet Lolita (95%)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users