Anime Central Forums: Question About "gun" Props. - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Question About "gun" Props. will this work for a prop?

#1 User is offline   anbu-kakashi 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 18949

Posted 03 October 2009 - 06:52 PM

hola, i would like to thank acen for a wonderful week last year, so yeah. anyway, if your familure with halo, would these props work for next years acen?
please move if wrong place
i just need some guidence from the mods and staff. thank you. and yes its going to be made out of paper/fiberglass/bondo.
please choose the ones that will work for convention policies and rules.
now please, check the links before you post something, because of the name of these weapons.
you might get deceved by the names.
Thank you for your time and patience.

sniper rifle.
http://hdkriq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pLNC...per%20Rifle.png

spartan laser.
http://bestgamewallp...artan-laser.jpg

silenced ODST smg.
http://defaultprime.com/wp-content/gallery...nced-smg-04.jpg

assualt rifle
http://cdn1.gamepro.com/global/radar/blog_...es/101593-1.jpg

battle rifle
http://images.wikia.com/halo/images/c/c6/B...RifleAngles.JPG

rocket launcher.
http://talkhaaba.files.wordpress.com/2009/...er2_halo_31.jpg

mini gun!
http://hurtlockerinc...IGUN-TURRET.jpg

This post has been edited by anbu-kakashi: 03 October 2009 - 07:14 PM

acen 09, soycon - vincent valentine 1%

#2 User is offline   HaruHE 

• Calendar Angel
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 10773

Posted 03 October 2009 - 06:57 PM

So long as they're not over 4 ft I honestly couldn't see why they wouldn't allow the ODST guns, they look nothing like real fire arms. ODST rocked by the way. (Go go firefight)
Once more returned to the forums. 2013 ideas:
Hieda No Akyu: Project Touhou
Shadow Yukiko Amagi: Persona 4
Kyouko Sakura (Magic form): Magi Madoka Magica

#3 User is offline   anbu-kakashi 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:17 PM

View Post~Sephiroth, on Oct 3 2009, 07:57 PM, said:

So long as they're not over 4 ft I honestly couldn't see why they wouldn't allow the ODST guns, they look nothing like real fire arms. ODST rocked by the way. (Go go firefight)

yes, i think so too. i just wanna make sure, and you read my mind! im going as romeo.

#4 User is offline   HaruHE 

• Calendar Angel
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:24 PM

Romeo...<3 He was probably my favorite, not only a ladies man but also very good in a fight.

#5 User is offline   Millions_Knives 

• Masquerade Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 8636

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:33 PM

~thinks hard~
ahhhhh...
id talk to TheRabbi on this one
if you do a good job
a few of them could look "realistic"
realistic being a term that not all irt would agree upon
and "they said it was ok online" doesnt always cut it
it would be best to hear it from a head of irt
so you can quote them

~not irt~
~or a fan of that particular rule~

sry ~Sephiroth
i dont mean to sound like im disagreeing with you
just trying to save him some trouble
want to learn about cosplay materials? click here->my youtube cosplay tips and tricks<-click here

#6 User is offline   anbu-kakashi 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:42 PM

View PostMillions_Knives, on Oct 3 2009, 08:33 PM, said:

~thinks hard~
ahhhhh...
id talk to TheRabbi on this one
if you do a good job
a few of them could look "realistic"
realistic being a term that not all irt would agree upon
and "they said it was ok online" doesnt always cut it
it would be best to hear it from a head of irt
so you can quote them

~not irt~
~or a fan of that particular rule~

sry ~Sephiroth
i dont mean to sound like im disagreeing with you
just trying to save him some trouble

sounds good. ill go do that in a few minutes. i wanna make sure they see the thread before i make contact. so ill contact him or her tommorow or so to see. thank you :]

#7 User is offline   HaruHE 

• Calendar Angel
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:09 PM

Nah no hard feelings Knives, you actually made the right call.

#8 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 591

Posted 04 October 2009 - 12:07 AM

Ha, I'm a bit humbled at being called out by name for this one.

I'd say the the sniper rifle model and the silenced SMG are probably realistic enough to trip lots of people's sensors. Even if the silenced SMG were okay'd, you'd probably end up getting stopped to check it enough times that it would make it a hassle.

The others look sufficiently futuristic to me. Make sure you come by IRT or Customer Service to get your props checked when you come to con. You can reference my post and even ask for me if you want to, but I can do little if I get overruled by the DH. Still, my intuition's pretty spot-on, so no worries there.
Eli "Rabbi" Morris-Heft: IRT Assistant Department Head
SecDiv Dispatch 2004, IRT Communications ADH 2005-06, IRT Dispatch Supervisor 2007-2010, IRT Dispatch Commander 2011, IRT ADH 2012-, IT Senior Sysadmin 2007-2011, ACen Clergy, 2004-

"Two-three the count with nobody on / He hit a high fly into the stands / Roundin' third, he was headed for home / It was a brown-eyed handsome man (that won the game) / It was a brown-eyed handsome man." (Brown-Eyed Handsome Man by Chuck Berry)

I <3 People Who <3 IRT!Want to help make IRT even better? Apply next year!

#9 User is offline   anbu-kakashi 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 04 October 2009 - 12:56 PM

View PostTheRabbi, on Oct 4 2009, 01:07 AM, said:

Ha, I'm a bit humbled at being called out by name for this one.

I'd say the the sniper rifle model and the silenced SMG are probably realistic enough to trip lots of people's sensors. Even if the silenced SMG were okay'd, you'd probably end up getting stopped to check it enough times that it would make it a hassle.

The others look sufficiently futuristic to me. Make sure you come by IRT or Customer Service to get your props checked when you come to con. You can reference my post and even ask for me if you want to, but I can do little if I get overruled by the DH. Still, my intuition's pretty spot-on, so no worries there.

he has spoken, thank you for your time rabbi, im only gonna prob, use one out of this many, so thank you. ill stop by there when the time comes. again thank you for the help.

#10 User is offline   HaruHE 

• Calendar Angel
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 October 2009 - 12:59 PM

Rabbi is pretty knowledgable about this sort of thing, we don't call him the big guy for nothing. =3

#11 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 October 2009 - 03:24 PM

View Post~KOS-MOS~, on Oct 4 2009, 01:59 PM, said:

Rabbi is pretty knowledgable about this sort of thing, we don't call him the big guy for nothing. =3

Aww, thanks guys! ^^;;;

Just to make the point specifically: the rule is that your prop should not look like a real gun to the average person, and that you should take it to be checked when you get to con just to make sure. No guarantees that saying it's okay on the forums means it'll be okay when you get to con, but this is the rule we're (probably) going to be using ourselves.

This means:
  • Obviously futuristic/steampunk gun-like props are okay. ("Can I bring the Tesla [from Warehouse 13]?" "Yes. But you have to bring it by so I can marvel at it.")
  • Things that look the same as real guns except for their color are not okay. ("Hey, I spray-painted my airsoft bright pink - can I bring it now?" "Uh... no.")
  • Supersoakers are totally cool. Also allowed as props (as long as they're not filled). ("But what about in the pool?" "There's a staircase there now. You knew that, right?")

Also, an average person is someone who isn't totally into FPSs nor do they receive Guns & Ammo every month. This is someone who has seen guns on TV and can probably tell you the difference between a pistol and a revolver and a machine gun, but they don't know the difference between a scope and a sight, or a regular rifle and a sniper rifle. They don't know what a P90 is (unless they're a Stargate fan to boot), and they probably think a "sig" is police slang for a gun.

Personally, I think you guys - and I know there are some of you out there who are very into guns and gun design - are smart enough to figure out what an average person would see as looking like a real gun and what they would see as being obviously fake, so I won't belabor the point. Hopefully, though, this makes it clearer, not more opaque.
SecDiv Dispatch 2004, IRT Communications ADH 2005-06, IRT Dispatch Supervisor 2007-2010, IRT Dispatch Commander 2011, IRT ADH 2012-, IT Senior Sysadmin 2007-2011, ACen Clergy, 2004-

"Two-three the count with nobody on / He hit a high fly into the stands / Roundin' third, he was headed for home / It was a brown-eyed handsome man (that won the game) / It was a brown-eyed handsome man." (Brown-Eyed Handsome Man by Chuck Berry)

#12 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:07 PM

Another way to look at it - if a cop was walking around, what would he see if he spotted you from, say, 20 feet away? If you use a gun that is obviously fake/not from this world, then they might pass you over. But if you use something that would be mistaken for something realistic from a distance, then the cop will have issues.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#13 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 October 2009 - 05:47 PM

View PostSaphrinka, on Oct 4 2009, 05:07 PM, said:

Another way to look at it - if a cop was walking around, what would he see if he spotted you from, say, 20 feet away? If you use a gun that is obviously fake/not from this world, then they might pass you over. But if you use something that would be mistaken for something realistic from a distance, then the cop will have issues.

Not to contradict my fellow staffer, but replace 'cop' with 'IRT op'. Cops get a good amount of training in threat assessment and recognizing guns from a distance; we don't have the resources to train our ops that well in that area. (That's why I keep stressing that it should appear un-gun-ly to an average person, not to a cop.)

#14 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 05 October 2009 - 02:50 PM

Would blue guns be a good alternative?

If yes, would I be able to paint them and such to make them look like the guns that the character uses or do I have to keep them blue?

ACen '14 Cosplay
Fem!Gundam Tanaka [Super Dangan Ronpa 2] [100%]
ACen forum's number one poster and Disney nut.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#15 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:31 PM

View PostTheRabbi, on Oct 4 2009, 06:47 PM, said:

Not to contradict my fellow staffer, but replace 'cop' with 'IRT op'. Cops get a good amount of training in threat assessment and recognizing guns from a distance; we don't have the resources to train our ops that well in that area. (That's why I keep stressing that it should appear un-gun-ly to an average person, not to a cop.)

Actually, that is indeed a fair correction. ^^ No worries, good point has been taken.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#16 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 28448

Posted 06 October 2009 - 04:10 PM

Okay, so I'm guessing my cap gun looks too real because someone from IRT told me so last year (unless the rule gets tweaked). I heard that clear cap guns would be okay; is there any truth in that?

btw: pic of my cap gun: http://i78.photobuck...an/P1000370.jpg (everyone I've shown this picture to has laughed, btw)
Cosplay 2012: Mitsuki Saya (Black Cat), Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai)
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;

"A blank piece of paper is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God."
-Sidney Sheldon

#17 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:30 PM

View PostKaay-chan, on Oct 6 2009, 05:10 PM, said:

Okay, so I'm guessing my cap gun looks too real because someone from IRT told me so last year (unless the rule gets tweaked). I heard that clear cap guns would be okay; is there any truth in that?

btw: pic of my cap gun: http://i78.photobuck...an/P1000370.jpg (everyone I've shown this picture to has laughed, btw)

Transparent gun-like props should be fine.

#18 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 28448

Posted 07 October 2009 - 11:42 AM

View PostTheRabbi, on Oct 6 2009, 06:30 PM, said:

Transparent gun-like props should be fine.

Okay, thank you.
Cosplay 2012: Mitsuki Saya (Black Cat), Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai)
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;

"A blank piece of paper is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God."
-Sidney Sheldon

#19 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:23 PM

Hey Rabbi, can you answer my question, please?
ACen '14 Cosplay

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#20 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:41 PM

View PostLina, on Oct 7 2009, 06:23 PM, said:

Hey Rabbi, can you answer my question, please?

Sorry, Lina - thanks for the bump.

By 'blue guns', I assume you mean the bright blue or bright red practice guns sometimes used in training exercises. Unfortunately, those are generally way too accurately modeled, and if you go ahead and paint one to look like a character's weapon, it would look even more realistic.

While you can always try it and bring it by IRT to get checked out at the beginning of the con, I'm pretty confident when I say that it wouldn't be allowed.

#21 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:40 PM

It is ok, Rabbi. =D

All right. Then I will just have to figure out another alternative. Thank you for the reply. =D

ACen '14 Cosplay

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users