• This topic is locked

Steampunk Mythbusters! Similar but not the same as the real Mythbusters :D

#1 User is offline   Spooky Elric 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 23668

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:00 PM

Did you ever wonder where Aether came from? Or for that matter, wtf Aether is? This is the panel for you! We might only lightly touch on the subject of Aether but if you come to our panel you'll leave more informed steampunk than when you walked through the door.

The Chronos Society presents: Steampunk Mythbusters! This is a panel for beginners and even people very well versed in what steampunk is and how it works. We'll be discussing a little of the history of steampunk, persona building, costume design and prop building! We'll be busting your preconceived notions and myths left and right. You DON'T want to miss this panel! If you do, you're going to have a very angry Chloe Brennan on your hands.... trust me: YOU DO NOT WANT THAT. If you're curious why she's not someone to mess with: we'll even explain who she is and why it's in your better interest to stay on her good side :]

So, dear con-goers, staff and other panelists alike: I ask of you, what would you like to discuss in a panel like this? What sort of topics would be interesting to you? I always like to hear replies from my potential audience!
<3 I'm the owner of Spooky Designs. Check out my deviant art. I also go to this sweet convention called Youmacon, you should try to go sometime<3
<3 Ohayocon 2012 Cosplays:
Chloe Brennan, Steampunk: 100%??||Kaylee, Firefly: 100%||

<3 Attending ACen with Crimson Chain Leatherworks.

#2 User is offline   Arakhne 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 14484

Posted 16 October 2009 - 07:45 PM

This panel sounds like a great idea! I really love the concept of Steampunk and I've looked into the design elements of the style, but as far as history and theory, I'm totally blank. I will definitely try my hardest to make it to this panel. I think the topics I'd be most interested in are the history of steampunk and persona building. I'm completely in love with the design concepts of steampunk, so I'd love to hear what you'll have to say on costume design : D I'm excited about all of it, really!

Again, this is a fabulous idea and I really hope my schedule works out so that I can come experience it!
Current Plans for A'Cen 2011:
Xanxus - Katekyou Hitman Reborn
Raiden - Metal Gear Solid 2 <- Eaten by a Steampunk gown.
Toph Bei Fong - Avatar: The Last Airbender
William T. Spears - Kuroshitsuji
Claire Stanfield - Baccano!
(most likely) River Tam - Firefly
When I'll find time to wear all these, I can't say @_@

#3 User is offline   opimus.rm 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 28

Posted 16 October 2009 - 08:06 PM

windycon
If your into steampunk you might want check out windycon . It's SF con in Chicago and this years theme is steampunk.
I'm just a Mazinger in a rock and roll band!

#4 User is offline   Spooky Elric 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:42 PM

View PostArakhne, on Oct 16 2009, 08:45 PM, said:

This panel sounds like a great idea! I really love the concept of Steampunk and I've looked into the design elements of the style, but as far as history and theory, I'm totally blank. I will definitely try my hardest to make it to this panel. I think the topics I'd be most interested in are the history of steampunk and persona building. I'm completely in love with the design concepts of steampunk, so I'd love to hear what you'll have to say on costume design : D I'm excited about all of it, really!

Again, this is a fabulous idea and I really hope my schedule works out so that I can come experience it!

I'm excited that you're excited! I'm also excited to hold this panel, first at Ohayocon and second at ACen. It will be my first time holding a panel at either con!! The more I think about running the panel the more excited I become<3

View Postopimus.rm, on Oct 16 2009, 09:06 PM, said:

windycon
If your into steampunk you might want check out windycon . It's SF con in Chicago and this years theme is steampunk.

This was suggested to me on the Ohayocon boards already. As much as I would love to go I'm already hitting my last convention of the year 2 weeks prior to WindyCon. I have no way to get there from where I am and I'm pretty sure its all booked up hotel-wise and I wouldn't have the money to pre-register in time :[ If someone who's going wants to take a bunch of pictures and submit them to me I might use them in my panel :D [Provided the person in the picture doesn't mind!]

I am however going to suggest anyone interested in steampunk go to The World Steam Expo! Its 120 years in the making and its 2 weeks or so after ACen. It is going to be held at the Hyatt Regency Dearborn [MI] AND in Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village both!! ABNEY PARK IS A CONFIRMED GUEST. I've actually personally talked to both con chairs [no really, I've met them both in real life. Bill and Morgan are the best!] and they have confirmed Abney Park as well as Tartanic as 2 of their like 4-5 musical guests. Trust me, FUN WILL BE HAD.

This post has been edited by Spooky Elric: 12 April 2010 - 01:58 PM

<3 I'm the owner of Spooky Designs. Check out my deviant art. I also go to this sweet convention called Youmacon, you should try to go sometime<3

#5 User is offline   SpikedCurry 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 17060
  • Location:The four crimson stars twinkling between two flowing, beautiful rivers.

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:22 PM

AAAAAHHH THIS SOUNDS AMAZING. 8DDDDD Count me iiiiin~
Cosplays for '10:
Mike Meekins from Phoenix Wright
ScoutMom (RED version, ALTHOUGH MY HEART IS WITH BLUUU~) from the Team Fortress 2 "Meet the Spy" Video
Lithuania from Axis Powers: Hetalia
Mary Morstan from Sherlock Holmes (Hey. Don't be hatin'. I liked but am not worshipping the movie >8I)
Penny from Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Gijinka Cyndaquil from Pokemon

ALL SET FOR ACEN 2010! 8Db

To Russia with ~love~.
The Spy who loved me.~

Yes, James Bond references + cosplay references = ftw.

"...But the dragon has claws, and the bear is like the elephant and never, ever forgets...""America was staring at his notes, and the single line of cyrillic he’d written. He couldn’t read it...but he knew what it said anyway."

#6 User is offline   Spooky Elric 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:51 PM

I sure hope my panel gets approved or denied soon. This waiting in limbo thing is killer x.x

I apparently did an awesome job with it the first time I presented it at Ohayocon! So I'm sure hoping that it gets approved so I can bring my awesome to ACen<3

#7 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:48 PM

View PostSpooky Elric, on Feb 5 2010, 01:51 PM, said:

I sure hope my panel gets approved or denied soon. This waiting in limbo thing is killer x.x

I apparently did an awesome job with it the first time I presented it at Ohayocon! So I'm sure hoping that it gets approved so I can bring my awesome to ACen<3

I hope it gets approved too! Steampunk rocks!!! Will you be in the fashion show this year? I'm pretty sure I saw you last year too ^.^
ar lath ma vhenan

#8 User is offline   Spooky Elric 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:05 PM

Yes, I was the girl who passed out in the bathroom before I got to be in the show. I'm going to try to actually be in the show this year. I will be applying in the next month or so for it :]

Steampunk does rock<3

#9 User is offline   Ashori 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 10991

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:16 PM

This would be interesting for me, since my friend and I are planning to go dressed in steampunk, but really, I have no idea much behind it (except for what my friend told me) and I'm dressing it mostly to match him. So quite possibly we'll be there for this. XD
Cosplay Status: Maya Kitajima - Bianca Mask (Pirate Form - 100%; Glass Mask), Lucy Heartfilia (2%; Fairy Tail), Castle of Hearts Alice Liddell (100%; Kuni no Alice series)
My dA | My YouTube Page | My FF.Net Page

#10 User is offline   Spooky Elric 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:47 PM

I hope to be accepted! I had 130-150 people show up for it the first time I presented it so I will have had some practice and I will be tweaking it!

Also, does anyone have any preconceived notions about steampunk? I can discuss them in the panel if I don't already have them listed. Please let me know! Even if I can't present it at Acen I WILL be presenting it at other cons for sure. *fingers crossed*

#11 User is offline   Emrys 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 9223

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:28 PM

I'll try my best to attend! I tried to go to this panel at Ohayocon, but they wouldn't let me in because the room was overcrowded. Make sure to get a big room if you can!
ACen 2013 plans:
Terra w/ FFVI group
Malory Archer w/ Archer group

(maybe)
Mabel Pines w/ Gravity Falls group
Fionna and Cake (regular and ballgown) w/ Ice Queen

#12 User is offline   Spooky Elric 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:03 PM

View PostEmrys, on Mar 25 2010, 12:28 AM, said:

I'll try my best to attend! I tried to go to this panel at Ohayocon, but they wouldn't let me in because the room was overcrowded. Make sure to get a big room if you can!

As of right now apparently my panel is tentative after I was told in 2 separate messages from 2 different department heads that my panel was completely approved. Also, I'm sorry you missed my panel at Ohayocon! I hope I can even hold my panel at ACen and that they give me a large enough room. I'm sure people can attest to how popular it was at Ohayocon, the room was over capacity and the room could hold 130 people lol. It actually scared me shitless xD I assume if I get to hold my panel that its going to be worse crowd-wise with this being a bigger con and I have the only steampunk oriented panel this time.

Maybe if this thread gets more responses they will approve my panel for real? I sure hope so =/

#13 User is offline   tails wannabe 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 51959
  • Location:somewhere inbetween the ghetto and hickvil of Michigan

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:49 AM

i kno ill be going if it happens hope it turns out for ya

#14 User is offline   Emrys 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:14 AM

Oh no, I hope they approve it! ;_;
ACen 2013 plans:
Terra w/ FFVI group

(maybe)

#15 User is offline   slrphebos 

• Customer Service Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 974

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:19 PM

Costume design is what I would love to hear about the most. Online is so unhelpful. Also I'm very curious about the persona building cause I would love to know how to go about this.
~Ri-chan
ACen 2013-2014: Customer Service

2013 Cosplay: Team Aqua Grunt (100%), Fluttershy Sweet Lolita (95%)

#16 User is offline   Spooky Elric 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:50 PM

PANEL IS OFFICIALLY APPROVED AND HAS AN HOUR AND A HALF TIME SLOT! I'll be running it from 12am - 1:30 am on Saturday night/Sunday morning in Panel 2 at the con! (I'm assuming this is a larger room, we shall see)

I have lots of time for this so not only will we be having more time for discussion, I'll be adding more to my slides for you guys! If you've seen me at Ohayocon, I'll be less nervous this time and I'll have more information for you.

We will cover:
Persona building
steampunk basics
definitions (no you won't have to memorize anything, this isn't school. Its more of an FYI type of thing)
My personal costuming designs and theories (along with actual facts)
Busting steamy myths
Sources on the interwebs
Building gadgets, goggles and more!
We'll even delve somewhat into steampunk in the media.
PLUS THINGS I HAVEN'T EVEN THOUGHT OF YET!

I will do my best to cover everything possible since I'll be holding the only steampunk panel at this con. Last time there were 4 of them including mine lol. This is an open forum type panel, do NOT feel stupid for asking questions, I am there to answer them. I enjoy audience participation because as much as I like to hear myself talk..... You guys probably don't want to just listen to me ramble for 90 minutes =_=

So let me know what else you would like me to inform you about!! I will do my best to provide all the information you want to talk about.

This post has been edited by Spooky Elric: 12 April 2010 - 01:53 PM

#17 User is offline   mens_pocky06 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 8685

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:18 PM

Roar! I would love to attend this...but alas I'm poor as a brick...so I won't be at Acen at all T___T

Is there any chance that someone could record this? (With audible quality?)

Or...if at all possible Spooky Elric...would you be able to send me basic info on what you plan on covering in the panel?? <3

I just recently dove head first into the Steampunk fashion...and so far I've only got a pair of boots that I've "Steampunk-i-fied" haha
WOAH! New Forums!
@___@ <3

#18 User is offline   Spooky Elric 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:25 PM

I would love if someone would record this! I'd also love it if they would not only record it but send me a copy.

Right now I'm working on rewriting lots of the panel so it could be awhile before I have it done (like night before I present >.> ) I get a lot of my information from deviant art, google, the steampunk network, wikipedia and my own opinions.

WARNING: LOADS OF THIS PANEL IS OPINION BASED. Yes, I do have facts and other things but I'm using my opinions heavily as well. I'll let you know when we get to that part :]

(The panel getting approved has lit a fire under me to get all of my props, clothing and ballgown done for you all to see :P )

#19 User is offline   Gwydion 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 9082

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:25 PM

So awesome to hear it was approved - and at a time I can attend! ^_^ My sis and I also got locked out of the Ohayocon panel, so here's hoping we'll make it in to this one!

#20 User is offline   Spooky Elric 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:00 AM

View PostGwydion, on Apr 28 2010, 01:25 AM, said:

So awesome to hear it was approved - and at a time I can attend! ^_^ My sis and I also got locked out of the Ohayocon panel, so here's hoping we'll make it in to this one!

Awesome! I hope you can make it! I'm thinking that since its in Panel 2 it might be one of the larger panel rooms? I'm not quite sure myself since I didn't get to attend any panels last year n.n;;

Also, I just realized I said earlier I was going to apply to the fashion show, I decided not to. Mainly because of what happened last year to me and also because I don't think I'll have the time. I'll be trying for 2011 though! My steampunk ballgown should be long done by then :]

This post has been edited by Spooky Elric: 28 April 2010 - 12:04 AM

#21 User is offline   Spooky Elric 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:53 PM

PLEASE POST FEEDBACK HERE! I'd love to hear any opinions/critiques you have, good or bad, so I can further improve my panel.

I realize more people are interested in the history of steampunk now and that a lot of people were interested in a more comprehensive multi-media listing. Please let me know if there is more information you would like to know and I would be happy to research it for the panel! (And for you too :] )

#22 User is offline   MisakiMise 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 32365

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:40 PM

How was your turn out? I was really interested in going but my friend got sick so we had to go home.
ACen 2014 ideas
?????

deviantART|Flickr

#23 User is offline   Spooky Elric 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:55 PM

View PostMisakiMise, on May 17 2010, 12:40 AM, said:

How was your turn out? I was really interested in going but my friend got sick so we had to go home.

The turn out was quite good considering the events I was competing with! I'm sorry you missed it :[ I hope your friend is okay!

IF ANYONE GOT ANY PICTURES OF ME AT THE PANEL OR VIDEO PLEASE POST! Or just pictures of my/my group in general that'd be super special awesome and I'd love you forever<3

#24 User is offline   MisakiMise 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 32365

Posted 18 May 2010 - 02:12 PM

Oh thats good! Do you think you'll do it again next year?
He is doing better, still sick though.
ACen 2014 ideas
?????

deviantART|Flickr

#25 User is offline   Spooky Elric 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:43 PM

View PostMisakiMise, on May 18 2010, 04:12 PM, said:

Oh thats good! Do you think you'll do it again next year?
He is doing better, still sick though.

I'm going to try to get in to do my panel again next year! I know a lot of people wanted to see it but couldn't make it for one reason or another.
I hope your friend gets better soon! :3

#26 User is offline   Emrys 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:28 AM

Were you able to record the panel? I couldn't attend because we didn't stay that late on Saturday (oh the sacrifices you make for carpooling).

Ack, I'll be looking for you at other cons. Maybe I'll have better luck next time. >.<
ACen 2013 plans:
Terra w/ FFVI group

(maybe)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users