• This topic is locked

Craft Foam... Tips? Tuts? Discuss the use of craft foam in making prop/costumes

#1 User is offline   Mizu_Haku 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19589

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:44 AM

Anyone out there ever used craft foam for their props and/or costumes? I was wondering if anyone had advice or tips on using it. I have friends who use it and say how great it is and how well the product looks when finished... I agree, it does look very nice when a prop is well-made from craft foam...

But what's the tricks of the trade? I want to learn how to use and make things out of it... so does anyone have an tutorials, tips, or advice?

Where's the best place to buy it?

I want to cosplay as Vincent Valentine, and want to make his gun Cerberus out of craft foam, and possibly his boots and gauntlet/prosthetic arm. Would craft foam work for these things? Or would sheet metal or some sheet material work better....

But I still want to know about using craft foam, as I'm sure I will have future cosplays that would do well to have their props and such made from craft foam.
"I'M THE AVATAR, YOU'VE GOTTA DEAL WITH IT!" - Korra
~ACen 2013 Cosplays~
Korra ~ Avatar: Legend of Korra
Kiri the wolfdog ~ My fursona

#2 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:59 AM

Personally I have never used the stuff but I found a few tutorials that could help you out!

http://amethyst-ange...nstruction.html

http://entropyhouse..../helmsdeep.html

Also you could check out cosplay.com, and search around or post this there to see what you get. Sorry I cant be of much help! Good luck! I want to see your vincent when your done! = )
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#3 User is offline   R1KKu 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 601

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:11 AM

Best place to buy it is probably Joann's because they sell it in rolls (I suggest using a coupon too) Its great for raised details and such on props (and armor), not for props themselves because its rather flimsy by itself. Its great for armor pieces too.
I have zombies and I'm not afraid to use them!!

#4 User is offline   Mizu_Haku 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19589

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:15 AM

Awesome! I have a friend, and he made his Gunblade for Squall out of craft foam... so yes. xD I was thinking it might be able be used for a gun or something...

Thanks for the tutorials too! ^^

Yeah, any one with more tips, or stories using craft foam, feel free to share them.

And lol, I will most definitely take a trip to Joann's.
"I'M THE AVATAR, YOU'VE GOTTA DEAL WITH IT!" - Korra
~ACen 2013 Cosplays~
Korra ~ Avatar: Legend of Korra
Kiri the wolfdog ~ My fursona

#5 User is offline   Millions_Knives 

• Masquerade Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 8636

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:29 PM

i glue foam over my pvc then rip it off in chunks
it makes it look like chunks of of the prop have been blasted out of it
super realistic damage
sry im not good with tutorials
want to learn about cosplay materials? click here->my youtube cosplay tips and tricks<-click here

#6 User is offline   Yumei 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 17438

Posted 11 September 2009 - 02:15 PM

Craftfoam=AWESOME!!! ^_^
I keeps tons of it handy. I always buy at least one big roll of it from Joanns when I get a coupon....sadly they only come in black, white and red.
I've made crowns, hats, wings big and small, amor and automail all out of craftfoam.
I like it casue it bends to your will....muhahah! :P
Lots of excellent tutorials on cosplay.com I'd link you but I'm not even suppose to be online right now.(suppose to be working ;) )
I think Ska gave you just about the best links to use anyways. I used the tutorial in the second link she gave you mostly.
Craft foam needs to be sealed before painting in order to get a really good paint job. The better it sealed the better the ending paint results...just something to remember! My friend put one coat of sealer said it was good enough and the end result not nearly as good as mine who took the time and put 2 or maybe 3 coats before painting. Joanns also sells a sealer that especially for craft foam but it's only like a 8oz bottle. Only good for small projects since it's pricy unless you got a 50%coupon. They also sell glue especially for craft foam but I never bother to use it. I always use a hot glue gun to sorta melt my seams together so that it's almost seamless.
Most people think it's evil but when working with it you just have to take your time so you get the results you want.
I'm a poor cosplayer and have no idea what people are talking about when they mention all these other plastics and metal and tools. They sound scary and expensive! :blink:

This post has been edited by Yumei: 11 September 2009 - 02:15 PM

Acen10cosplays:(Trinity Blood)Esther Blanchett,(Bleach)Nel resleased form,(KH2)Card form Sora,(Code Geass)Li Xingke,(FMA)Edward decoy
Acen11 Cosplays:FMA:Brotherhood-LanFan,Gravitation-Shuichi,Fruits Basket-Shigure,Avatar-Toph All cosplays are complete!:)
Next con: ACEN

#7 User is offline   Millions_Knives 

• Masquerade Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 8636

Posted 11 September 2009 - 06:42 PM

ill have to try that
i use varnish mixed with latex paint
it makes a nice sheen but is not so good when bent repeatedly
use to use foamies as a base for latex based projects
but i found that sheet polystyrene packing foam is far cheaper
90 sq ft for $15 at Hobo
want to learn about cosplay materials? click here->my youtube cosplay tips and tricks<-click here

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users