Anime Central Forums: Plus Sized Cosplay Panel For 2010 - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Plus Sized Cosplay Panel For 2010 talking about the aspects of plus sized cosplay

#1 User is offline   Inuyasha_kun 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 20562

Posted 10 September 2009 - 05:25 AM

Would anyone be interested in a panel about plus sized cosplay. I know that there are panels for other cosplay, but I mostly want to focus on the plus sized cosplaying instead.

I know there are people that are out there that are scared to cosplay because of their size and weight, and I figured that this would be a good panel to get people more interested into cosplaying.

I would like to talk about the good and the bad aspects of plus sized cosplaying. I don't sew, but I know a friend/commisioner of mine that does that would be more then welcomed to talk about things to do. Me on the other hand I could talk about the non sewing part of the cosplay, because I have been down that road many many times.

I know that many of you probably wont like this panel and be like "people that are big shouldn't cosplay" but your wrong. We all have the right to cosplay, what we wear determines the attitudes.
"Humans are more arrogant and greedy, then any other living creature, and I am part human to, which is why I refuse to give up. On top of that...when a human has someone he has to protect, his power grows exponentially...I have what it takes to destroy you...all thanks to my human mother!!"

#2 User is offline   Krystal 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 14958

Posted 10 September 2009 - 05:59 AM

Oh! I would definately go to this! It's hard to find cute cosplay that looks flattering on me...so this would be helpful...
Acen 2011: I lost my red kodak camera. If you found it, PLEASE contact me. I really miss it.

#3 User is offline   this_chick25 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 7489

Posted 10 September 2009 - 06:09 AM

I don't think big people shouldn't cosplay, and I definitely think they shouldn't be afraid to cosplay because they are big! One of my absolute favorite cosplayers is a "plus-sized" person, and she is amazing, not only as a seamstress, but as a person.

I can't say I'd have use for this panel, but I definitely think it is a good idea. :thumbup:
Acen Attendee since 2001
Wondering how much to save for ACen? Click here!
FREE! Cosplay construction and materials advice--get yours now!
Never cause more mischief than that which is necessary for success.
Sig invade'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd by Alk <3

#4 User is offline   carmelita 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 19859

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:45 AM

i'd definitely check it out. one of the main reasons i hold back so much with my cosplays are because of my weight and such. it would be nice to be around those who i share the same insecurities with, and overcome them together.
it would be a great confidence booster, i think
^_^

#5 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:58 AM

This is such an awesome idea! Go for it! I'd definitely help you run it and organize it if you need an extra hand.

Just PM me ^_^

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#6 User is offline   Inuyasha_kun 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 10 September 2009 - 05:05 PM

Thank you all for your support for this panel. I am already starting to work out Ideas!
"Humans are more arrogant and greedy, then any other living creature, and I am part human to, which is why I refuse to give up. On top of that...when a human has someone he has to protect, his power grows exponentially...I have what it takes to destroy you...all thanks to my human mother!!"

#7 User is offline   Mr. Turnabout 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 19057

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:08 AM

I'll help out as well.
I agree with everything that's being said about this. And since Carmelita said everything I would say, I'm just going to say, that I would love to help out!
Name is Jadwin. No. It's not fake. Seriously.
My Man. If only I was /THIS/ good.
I'd call myself a Cos-player, but that means I've really cos-played, and well... that hasn't happened yet.

Well, I'd like to Cos-play at some point.

#8 User is offline   LADY SAKURA 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18295

Posted 26 September 2009 - 01:03 AM

id definately be interested in this panel i could get some insight from this
The Forum Seductress ^_~To be a Tekosexual you must first become one with the tentacles

Facebook Me
Check Art My Dev art page
AIM ME: dsbabygyrl2021

#9 User is offline   sweetbloom24 

• Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 18055

Posted 26 September 2009 - 03:07 AM

I would attend this Panel also since i am also plus size .. I like the idea if you need help let me know... We big people can cosplay..

2008-IRT
2009- Video Gaming
2010,2011,2012,2013,2014- Panel Programing

#10 User is offline   Miikachu 

• IRT Operative
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 15931

Posted 26 September 2009 - 01:47 PM

I would love to see this! I was always afraid to cosplay because of my size, but thanks to encouragement from my friends, I think I might start.
IRT Operative: Flapjack
2011 - Concenter Days
2012 - Concenter Days

[Facebook] [Twitter] [Tumblr]

#11 User is offline   Jack_of_hearts 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 28685

Post icon  Posted 26 September 2009 - 03:14 PM

That sounds like a great idea! I would totally go to a panel like that! getting tips on "expanding" patterns (in size and creativity) would be awesome! I do a lot of design and sewing for my friends that go, and working with my own body is challenging, mostly because of insecurities... and because finding patterns is harder than for someone who isn't plus sized (which is awful! I wanna yell at the companies on a regular basis). being able to concur the insecurities would be absolutely awesome! and if some costume tips fall into the conversation, then more power to the converse-ers! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Kurogane= 98% --> I want a better cape, and I need the head thingy. (I don't see it making a comeback for 2011, but I'm still gonna finish it!!!
Germany= 2% --> have fabric and a wig. Just gotta style/cut it.
France= 30% --> got the pants and did a first draft coat. Have a wig but not sure I like it.
Gaz= 99% --> popped a seam at KollisionCon... v.v
Unknown maybes: Kuroshitsuji, Trigun, Soul Eater, Lolita Gir?
DeviantArt

#12 User is offline   DeikoPoP 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 20833

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:30 PM

View PostJack_of_hearts, on Sep 26 2009, 04:14 PM, said:

That sounds like a great idea! I would totally go to a panel like that! getting tips on "expanding" patterns (in size and creativity) would be awesome! I do a lot of design and sewing for my friends that go, and working with my own body is challenging, mostly because of insecurities... and because finding patterns is harder than for someone who isn't plus sized (which is awful! I wanna yell at the companies on a regular basis). being able to concur the insecurities would be absolutely awesome! and if some costume tips fall into the conversation, then more power to the converse-ers! :thumbup: :thumbup:

hmm. like the idea. don't forget to submit a panel. would like if this panel would go in the direction on an instructional panel (i.e. how to expand patterns, how to create certain effects that look better on plus-sized indivivuals, etc.), but keep talking!

-Deiko
"It's Time For Change!"

That's right, I said it.

Frank Ketter III

ACen Panel Programming Dept. Head (2009-2010)

#13 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2009 - 06:38 PM

^Instructional direction would definitely be awesome.

ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#14 User is offline   Krystal 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:34 PM

Perhaps there could also be make-up tips, since makeup that looks good on a really thin face may look different on a rounder face.

Oh, and maybe if you know some cosplay sites that have great plus sized cosplays for sale, tell us so people who buy theirs can know!
Acen 2011: I lost my red kodak camera. If you found it, PLEASE contact me. I really miss it.

#15 Guest_SongstressLenne_*

• Group: Guests*
  • Member No.:

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:39 PM

View PostKrystal, on Oct 2 2009, 02:34 PM, said:

Perhaps there could also be make-up tips, since makeup that looks good on a really thin face may look different on a rounder face.

Oh, and maybe if you know some cosplay sites that have great plus sized cosplays for sale, tell us so people who buy theirs can know!

I would attend that panel if there are make-up tips for rounder faces. :thumbup: I was blessed with a round, non-cheekbone showing, babyfat face.

#16 User is offline   Krystal 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:26 PM

^ Yup! Me too! I always try to look up this kind of stuff. I got pretty good at it, actually.

#17 Guest_SongstressLenne_*

• Group: Guests*
  • Member No.:

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:31 PM

I really REALLY like the idea of this panel and I hope that you can get everything together smoothly in time for ACen. I wish you good luck!

#18 User is offline   Kagayaki 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 19711

Posted 21 October 2009 - 04:34 PM

Thank you... :heart:

It would mean so much to me if you've also provided a slide show of some of the best plus-size cosplayers out there. I saw the most beautiful Serena/Usagi Tsukino with the most intricate wig, and a brooch that was just gorgeous...but I didn't get her picture. :( And she was as short and as round as I was, too. But I did get to tell her that I loved her wig. That was one of my biggest regrets last year. Because her cosplay was purely amazing...

But anyway, it would certainly help all of us who've seen to many 'fat pplz in bad cosplays so fat pplz cant cosplay' pictures. Because it's about time we stopped being stereotyped as a bunch of unfashionable idiots with foul odors.

#19 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 October 2009 - 05:23 PM

^Amen.

#20 User is offline   Jack_of_hearts 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 28685

Post icon  Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:21 PM

View PostKagayaki, on Oct 21 2009, 05:34 PM, said:

to many 'fat pplz in bad cosplays so fat pplz cant cosplay' pictures

My favorite "bad" cosplay (I personally thought it was GREAT) is Sailor Bubba. OMG LMAO if I ever find that guy, I want a picture with him and an autograph! I LOVE how he had the guts to walk around in a miniskirt.
Kurogane= 98% --> I want a better cape, and I need the head thingy. (I don't see it making a comeback for 2011, but I'm still gonna finish it!!!
Germany= 2% --> have fabric and a wig. Just gotta style/cut it.
France= 30% --> got the pants and did a first draft coat. Have a wig but not sure I like it.
Gaz= 99% --> popped a seam at KollisionCon... v.v
Unknown maybes: Kuroshitsuji, Trigun, Soul Eater, Lolita Gir?
DeviantArt

#21 User is offline   this_chick25 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 7489

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:52 PM

View PostKagayaki, on Oct 21 2009, 05:34 PM, said:

Thank you... :heart:

It would mean so much to me if you've also provided a slide show of some of the best plus-size cosplayers out there. I saw the most beautiful Serena/Usagi Tsukino with the most intricate wig, and a brooch that was just gorgeous...but I didn't get her picture. :( And she was as short and as round as I was, too. But I did get to tell her that I loved her wig. That was one of my biggest regrets last year. Because her cosplay was purely amazing...

If there is a slide show, I have a nominee for an awesome example:

Yuuko Ichihara

Taeliac as Yuuko Ichihara (I saw it up close--this cosplay is amaaaaazing~!)

If you can, it'd probably be a good idea to get permission to use the photos from the cosplayers, where possible.

This post has been edited by this_chick25: 21 October 2009 - 08:53 PM

Acen Attendee since 2001
Wondering how much to save for ACen? Click here!
FREE! Cosplay construction and materials advice--get yours now!
Never cause more mischief than that which is necessary for success.
Sig invade'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd by Alk <3

#22 User is offline   Kagayaki 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:08 PM

And if you want to be cheesy, you could play "Beautiful" by Chistina Aguilera as background music, but that would be overkill. XD;

Seriously, you could put in Sailor Bubba but there are lots of cosplayers trying to avoid looking like him, so keep that in mind. Oh, and I don't mean to be mean or anything, but during the panel could we not disparage bodies, including skinny ones? Lots of people think that size acceptance groups bash skinny people and that's not what this is about. By the way some people's idea of 'go eat a sandwich' might be another's idea of 'oh my god what a lardo', so keep that in mind, too.

#23 User is offline   Krystal 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:42 AM

^ I hope to not sound rude, but I AM going to be frank and realistic. Us larger people get made fun of WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY more than people who are "too" skinny.

At least in high school.

#24 User is offline   Inuyasha_kun 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:42 PM

View PostKrystal, on Oct 27 2009, 09:42 AM, said:

^ I hope to not sound rude, but I AM going to be frank and realistic. Us larger people get made fun of WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY more than people who are "too" skinny.

At least in high school.

I love all of these idea's! And I love it how all of you want to go to this panel! I would love the help! Seeing that I am a plus sized cosplayer myself and all.. I am not very good with make up tips, but my partner in crime J-chan is wonderful with make up tips!

If anyone wants to help with this panel, send me a pm with your ideas

#25 User is offline   ~Sarah-Chan~ 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 17387

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:57 PM

I totally think this would make a wonderful panel! Several of my friends are plus size and are afraid to cosplay because of that. But cosplaying is about acting and having a fun time and it shouldn't matter what your body type is! Totally submit the panel and if it makes it I shall definitely be in the audience!

I would love to help so I think I'm bounce you a PM when I have the chance.

This post has been edited by ~Sarah-Chan~: 28 October 2009 - 03:58 PM

#26 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:43 PM

View PostKrystal, on Oct 27 2009, 10:42 AM, said:

At least in high school.

No.
You just hear about it less.
I can't tell you how many times the super thin girls at my school were made fun of for looking like guys, or like children, or for not having a chest.

I hung around with a lot of dudes, and I heard more crap talked about the skinny chicks than the larger ones.

Have you guys organized a panel proposition yet?
=D

#27 User is offline   Kagayaki 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:49 PM

It kinda sucks being in the 'not THAT fat' category, as in, 'it's okay to be a little chubby but you'd better not be THAT fat!' (even though I technically am, I'm just good at hiding it). Clothes are either too small or tent-like. And while they do make fun of some skinny people or they like to think that eating disorders is only for the vain and insecure, there are some people who make fun of fat girls IN FRONT OF ME...but they don't mean me. Which is still wrong, perhaps even moreso since they're not being honest with their preferences.

I have a picture of the princesses from Mario, if only I could contact them for permission. And also, I know we're all worried about decency and such, but you don't have to cover EVERYTHING, epsecially not during a spring con. You don't have to be an Organization member or L/Ryuuzaki in order to hide your body, that actually makes you look bigger (I know it shouldn't be a bad thing, but there are enough people who are insecure about it anyway). Or maybe you can find some alternative outfits for a character whose main outfit is something skimpy. I kinda love how anime characters change their clothes every so often.

Words to stay away from:
-love-handles
-cankles
-beer gut
-bony
-hugh jass
-thunder thighs
-lard
-muffin top
and many others...

#28 User is offline   Heartnet 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 10674

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:31 AM

I love the idea of this panel. I am thinking about cosplaying this year but hesitant because I have no idea what would look right on me.

I would suggest this panel just be instructional. I like the slide show idea, it would be good to have a visual example of tips and ideas provided.
Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.

I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells.

-Dr. Seuss (Words to live by)

#29 User is offline   Inuyasha_kun 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 24 November 2009 - 06:53 AM

I am now getting with my friend to discuss this!

Mmwahahaha Her and I are coming from two different states to Acen! This will be my first time at Acen, and I am coming from Tulsa, oklahoma, which is an eight hour drive. Shes coming from Colorado.

So! We will be discussing all the ideas that you have given me so far! And I am so glad you so many of you are interested in this idea

#30 User is offline   Mystline 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 35204

Posted 26 November 2009 - 03:39 PM

I would love to go to this!
And one of my favorite cosplayes is Val from FDP, and in this one video, there is a small segment on how to cosplay if your big.
Go to about 5:40 for her part. ;D

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users