Anime Central Forums: How Much Should I Save? - Anime Central Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How Much Should I Save? A general guide on what you may spend at ACen (updated for 2011!)

#91 User is offline   Naoya Toudou 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 17652

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:41 AM

Ive been really trying to keep my money safe for acen though ive admittedly splurged here and there XD

but i have a little nest egg for acen saved up these past couple months to ensure i buy what i want and still wont starve.
past years i saved a fistful of cash for food and a couple hundred for loot. but i always end up missing out on that really expensive item i want that i find ( not this year! lol)

70-80: for my share of the room (were going to be REALLY pakced in XD)
200 for food ( dont think i need that much but never hurts to be safe :) )
1K: for any and all loot i want. i only plan on spending around a few hundred but if i see something i want this year its mine X3 weapon repicla, model kit, fancy portrait you name it.

#92 User is offline   Rurounotaku 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 9477

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

Wow, $1000 reserved for stuff?! That's going big all right. I'd think you're shopping at AX or something.

#93 User is offline   Gabichox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 59269

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

$130 - hotel
$20 - food. It's all about sandwiches, apples and a water bottle for me!
$120 possibly - Anything else..... Since I usually buy stuff online nowadays I find it less enticing to buy things from the dealers room. :I This is mostly going towards LM.C anyway.
Plus finding merch and doujin from current season anime is really hard considering most of that stuff comes out way late.
ACen 2014 cosplay;
Donald Duck - [Thursday]
Elf - Dragon's Crown [Friday]
Agnès Oblige!Freelancer - Bravely Default [Saturday]

#94 User is offline   MasterHavik 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 61571

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:39 PM

Guys...I'm just going there and not getting room. How much should I have? i'm trying to mostly get t-shirts and some posters if they are godlike.
Ummm....I'm going to take you to court!

#95 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 11017

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:42 PM

I've really downsized over the years. Last year I made $30 (total money on me) last 4 days, having been borked, as compared to a couple hundred in past years; I think one time I'd actually came to con with close to $300-400 on me just for spending in the AA/DH (wth 15yo me, wth).

This time around I'll probably only have $80-100 for the weekend, mostly toward split food and possible small finds in the AA, and possibly an overpriced drink or few in the hotel bars later at night (my group's room is booked on my card so I won't need my part in cash this year). If I'm feeling splurgey, I might bring $150 or so, and maybe we can eat one night one of of the restaurants that aren't McD's or Giordanos -- particularly that 1940s style Irish pub that's getting built by the Muvico, assuming it's done in time (or maybe the Hilton's 1920's restaurant and I can feel like a time traveller despite lacking a TARDIS or River's/Captain Jack's timey-wimey watch ; w; ).
Special Needs/ADA Staff 2014 | Thurs-Sun @ DESCC Registration Hall
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

#96 User is offline   gomez46356 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62653

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:09 PM

major bump lol

you want to have enough money for anything: IE

Room 530

Gas about 50

Food About 200 especially if you eat at any restaurant in the city

500 spending cash, ie merch, and booze , party money.

and about 100 dollars locked away for emergency , ie broken down car , room increase fee dont spend this money just because you exhaust all your fun money.

so im looking at .... 1380 , which aint bad. Remember your basically on vacation for 4-5 days. people look at it like its too much money but honestly if you went to vegas or Florida you would spend just as much or maybe more.

best advise bring a credit card that gets cash back for your room , food ,and booze, and bring about 500 in cash for all your merch since most dealers only take cash.

FYI dont carry that 500 on you at all times take about 150 eatch day to the floor and only spend that per day, then you wont run short on day two.
‎"This is Nighthawk to Phoenixheart. Nighthawk to Phoenixheart. We got a situation down here. Subject is consuming a pastry treat in a highly congested area.
Requesting permission to execute takedown. Over."

"Phoenixheart to Nighthawk. Take him down with extreme prejudice. Over."

"I'M POPPIN' SMOKE! GO! GO! GO!"

#97 User is offline   wolverine33 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 582

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:38 AM

[quote name='LordCanti'
im going to save up $1500 like i did last year :x
[/quote]

WOW :eek: Never could that much saved for ACen....
Later B)

#98 User is offline   MOMO2 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 49830

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

I am good in the dealers room but I always want more then I need.

About $200 for room

$100 for stuff

$50 for food (coolers are great)

$50 for party things

Then some others, so like $500
The only thing to fear is yourself.

#99 User is offline   sakurathekeyblademaster 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 59128

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:57 AM

$300 for hotel
$100 for hotel fee
$50 for badge (I usually purchase them late since my money is kinda weird)
$20 on food (I don't eat much, so I'll just bring some food from home or something to munch on)
$120-150 for spending

This year's gonna be pretty much cheaper than the last since I'm now in college and on a serious budget. But I'm most likely going to spend all my time in panels and the gaming room than I did last year in the Exhibit Hall most of the time. And I might lower my spending cost since most of the things I see at the con are things I can live without or get cheaper online.
2013 Expected Cosplays

KillerBee Naruto Shippuuden
Seras Hellsing
Aqua Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep
Chouji Akamichi Naruto Shippuuden
Santa Finland Hetalia

#100 User is offline   Fate Averruncus 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 9968

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

I don't have a certain number when saving up, but I figure I can get by on this:

Hotel: $0. I'm lucky, and my mom pays for the hotel room. I know that there are some hotels for $70 or so nearby, so if I needed to, I'd pay that.

Gas: $0. My mom ALSO pays for gas because she goes to Rosemont to visit a friend who lives nearby, and there's no need for me to pay for it.

Food: I really don't need to eat anything besides dinner (I just don't get that hungry), so maybe $20. And that's just to be safe. I eat random snacks I bring with me here and there (some trail mix or chips periodically), so I don't feel bad during the con. I recommend that others bring about $60 or so, just because food can get expensive in Rosemont.

Other stuff: I'm bad in the Dealer's Room and Artist Alley, so I bring anywhere from $200-$400. I can't be sure if a figure or plushie I buy online is legit or not, so I don't buy those except at ACen. Which causes me to spend more than I probably would online, but at least I know what I'm buying is real. I see so many knock off items on Amazon and Ebay that I'm afraid to buy any figures online. ^^;. I also didn't have much access to buying other merchandise until recently, so I had to buy it all there. Now that I do, though, I may spend less. XD. But it's typically around that amount.

And I think that's all. I may bring extra money, in case something happens, but that's all.

This post has been edited by Fate Averruncus: 11 April 2013 - 08:29 PM

Attending ACen since 2002. :).
Friday and Saturday cosplay: Neinheart from MapleStory

My cosplay.com page | My Deviantart page

#101 User is offline   glenburg89 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 17536

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:32 AM

A good practice, I learned, is to not be an impulse shopper at the first dealer's table. Its good to initially browse everyone's merchandise and take note of items you may like. This stops you from blowing all your money and feeling salty when you find a better item, you could've afforded. If you see something that you KNOW is rare, it's probably a good idea to get it. I remember one year I saw two figures for a really good deal. I said I'd come back for them, but they were gone :/

This post has been edited by glenburg89: 12 May 2013 - 03:33 AM

Anime Central Attendee (2008-Current)

"ACen is like a three day vacation in another world. It's like a filler arc in everyone's life where nothing stressful matters, for that weekend."

#102 User is offline   Normandy 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59117

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:01 PM

View Postglenburg89, on 12 May 2013 - 03:32 AM, said:

A good practice, I learned, is to not be an impulse shopper at the first dealer's table. Its good to initially browse everyone's merchandise and take note of items you may like. This stops you from blowing all your money and feeling salty when you find a better item, you could've afforded.

This is definitely true. I've also found that sometimes other dealers will have the same item for less so it pays to make sure you're getting the best deal.

#103 User is offline   WatchJessieGo 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 63035

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:49 PM

Plane ticket: $300
Baggage fees (both ways): $50
Hotel - $400 (I budget what it'll cost me to go alone just in case there are any roommates who cancel)
Food - $100
Photoshoot: $50
Spending money: $300

I believe there's a shuttle from the Rosemont airport to the Aloft where I'm staying, but in case there isn't, I've got $25 down for cab money (the airport is super close). All in all, $1225 at most.

If you're flying like I am, make sure to take baggage fees into account! I'm flying United Airlines, which charges $25 for one checked baggage. Double that since you'll be taking two flights, one there and one back. Check the website for whatever airline you're flying to figure out what you'll be paying.

Roommates may cancel, so save up what you'd need for the hotel if that happens.

This post has been edited by WatchJessieGo: 28 January 2014 - 12:49 PM

ACen 2015 cosplay:
Oktavia von Seckendorff (Puella Magi Madoka Magica) - 0% (planning stages)
Fem!Slenderman - 30%
Shirahoshi Hime (One Piece) - 50%

#104 User is offline   Jos 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 64919

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:29 PM

$600 for hotel (fees included - 3 Nights @ Hyatt)
$175 for badges (3 of them)
$250 for food (2 people for 4 days)
$350 for gas ($150 extra, just in case)
$75 for parking (just incase fee's)

Additional:
$330 for resort for my dogs while i'm at ACen

Also still planning on spending around $150 for fabric to finish my costume

So close to two grand x_x

#105 User is offline   TakahashiAkio 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 64793

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:58 AM

Here's how my breakdown is going:

-$120 for my portion of a shared hotel room (parking is free).
-$50 for the badge
-Bringing basic snacks and food, but $50 to eat out one night.
-$200 for just fun spending over the weekend.

....I'm under $450 for the weekend.

-AT

This post has been edited by TakahashiAkio: 29 January 2014 - 07:59 AM

#106 User is offline   MCP 3.3 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 64951

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:04 PM

100 for my share o' the room
50 for the badge
60ish for a tank of gas for whoever in my group drives
100 for food (We usually bring a lot of food so we don't have to pay crazy prices, but we always go to Giordano's)
100 Emergency cash
700-800 for dealer's hall

I always save up my money really good before the con so I can be really bad spending it at the con. But it helps that my tax return always seems to come right around the middle of April, so I don't have to worry too much.
END OF LINE.

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users