Anime Central Forums: How Much Should I Save? - Anime Central Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How Much Should I Save? A general guide on what you may spend at ACen (updated for 2011!)

#61 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:56 PM

This is useful! I am going to tip the maid this year!

Previous years I was with friends so I didn't know x.x Hyatt a few years and Emb recently. Omg...it wasn't the best experiance til last year when I had my own room but I had to pay for FOUR people who didn't show up at the last minute >.< I'm doing everything in advance this year!

I know the Emb doesn't do the advance payment but they do take out cash when you check in though for extra fees like 50-80 bucks extra fyi.

Also it's good to try to look in advance for items you may see in the dealer room and not the hotel since wifi is like 10-20 dollars at most hotels. I usually plan on what to buy.

Also BEWARE OF BOOTLEGS: http://leafdust.live....com/87163.html I haven't bought a bootleg at Acen but even sometimes the dealers are sold bootlegs and they wouldn't know about it >.<

Hope I didn't sound like a braggard or a jerk ._. Just...adding for Embassy since I went there last year
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#62 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6130

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:51 AM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 19 January 2011 - 11:56 PM, said:

Also BEWARE OF BOOTLEGS: http://leafdust.live....com/87163.html I haven't bought a bootleg at Acen but even sometimes the dealers are sold bootlegs and they wouldn't know about it >.<

Hope I didn't sound like a braggard or a jerk ._. Just...adding for Embassy since I went there last year

If you see/find a vendor selling bootleg stuff, please report it to the Exhibit Hall staff.
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2007 - Present - Forums Manager
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

#63 User is offline   obakasan 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 2555

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:27 PM

If you see/find a vendor selling bootleg stuff, please report it to the Exhibit Hall staff.

Yes, please report what you think may be bootleg material. We can't be everywhere. And quite honestly some of what looks bootleg is actually real, and some of what looks real is bootleg. Vendors can be victims too. We plan to have a report form available at the ES booth during the con and we will investigate any and all reports. Also, if you discover after the con is over that an item you purchased is not genuine please email or PM the Exhibit Space Department Head or one of the ES ADHs.
This space intentionally left blank.

#64 User is offline   sakurathekeyblademaster 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 59128

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:51 AM

For 3 days there, should I save at least....................500-600 dollars for Acen? I'm asking this because I work and my job gives us very little money and I don't want to come to Acen being broke even though I already have three costumes. I already booked a hotel with some friends, so that's taken care of and out the way.(I put money aside for that). Plus my cousin will drive us there and we'll split the parking cost.
2013 Expected Cosplays

KillerBee Naruto Shippuuden
Seras Hellsing
Aqua Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep
Chouji Akamichi Naruto Shippuuden
Santa Finland Hetalia

#65 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 57517

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:45 PM

I think for me personally I will need about $600. Based on lasts years total expenses.

Rounded to the nearest number

Hotel=$180 (my share of hotel bill)
Food=$60 (my share of food for all 3 days)
Shopping=$200 ($100 per day)
Emergency=$100 (To add to my bank account after Acen is done)

This post has been edited by MsLovelyCookie: 23 January 2012 - 07:10 PM

I'm Just A Girl In The World
Take A Good Look At Me
Just Your Typical Prototype...

Registration Staff: 2012-2014

#66 User is offline   sakurathekeyblademaster 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:06 PM

View PostMsLovelyCookie, on 10 February 2011 - 06:45 PM, said:

I think for me personally I will need about $675. Based on lasts years total expenses.

Rounded to the nearest number

Hotel=$200 (my share of hotel bill)
Food=$60 (my share of food)
Shopping=$200 ($100 per day)
Emergency=$100 (To add to my bank account after Acen is done)

It wouldn't suprise me about the shopping cost. Everything else looks fine, a good thing is that I don't eat a lot. But what if I split the bill with some friends? Would that lower it some...and doesn't Acen have activities that require money too? Or no?
2013 Expected Cosplays

Seras Hellsing
Santa Finland Hetalia

#67 User is offline   Amelko 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 59283

Posted 19 February 2011 - 03:31 PM

I never have boatloads of money, so I tend to spend as little as possible at ACen. Last year I probably spent only $100 on merchandise. o.O

This year's budget looks like:

Hotel - ~$75 for my share
Food - $20 (my parents usually let me raid our typically overstocked pantry and take what I want, but sometimes we hit up the McDonalds or whatnot.)
Merchandise - $125
Badge - FREE once I work my volunteer hours :D

My poor bank account. lol
Give yourself prudence, and love your friends. Subway kid rejoice your truth.

"What is yaoi? Is it edible?" - my mom

#68 User is offline   sakurathekeyblademaster 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:23 PM

Lol. Mine too. By the way, I love your picture of Kyo and Tohru!
2013 Expected Cosplays

Seras Hellsing
Santa Finland Hetalia

#69 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:26 PM

View Postsakurathekeyblademaster, on 11 February 2011 - 07:06 PM, said:

It wouldn't surprise me about the shopping cost. Everything else looks fine, a good thing is that I don't eat a lot. But what if I split the bill with some friends? Would that lower it some...and doesn't Acen have activities that require money too? Or no?

No not in the 3 years I went that they needed money on the spot.

Last year it was me and my friend staying at the hotel, it was expensive since the hotel was new with no Acen discount, and we usually stay from Thursday night to Monday morning and I had to drop Sunday so I wouldn't pay so much money. It sucks because the next day after going to the Soap Bubble we had to wake up early and leave. As for food we went to Dunkin Donuts for breakfast and then out to eat at local restaurants we knew for lunch and had a big breakfast on Sunday. The shopping cost is half on books and the other half on random items like posters, jewelry, t-shirts, and my sister's b-day present. Anything left over I use for other things I need cash for.

This year we have 2 other roommates so the cost for the hotel will go down and I will have money left over in my bank account.

This post has been edited by MsLovelyCookie: 21 February 2011 - 01:27 PM

Take A Good Look At Me

#70 User is offline   sakurathekeyblademaster 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:33 PM

View PostMsLovelyCookie, on 21 February 2011 - 01:26 PM, said:

No not in the 3 years I went that they needed money on the spot.

Last year it was me and my friend staying at the hotel, it was expensive since the hotel was new with no Acen discount, and we usually stay from Thursday night to Monday morning and I had to drop Sunday so I wouldn't pay so much money. It sucks because the next day after going to the Soap Bubble we had to wake up early and leave. As for food we went to Dunkin Donuts for breakfast and then out to eat at local restaurants we knew for lunch and had a big breakfast on Sunday. The shopping cost is half on books and the other half on random items like posters, jewelry, t-shirts, and my sister's b-day present. Anything left over I use for other things I need cash for.

This year we have 2 other roommates so the cost for the hotel will go down and I will have money left over in my bank account.

Yosh! That pretty much sums things up so I don't have to worry anymore. Thanks for your post!
2013 Expected Cosplays

Seras Hellsing
Santa Finland Hetalia

#71 User is offline   Oreo_Otaku 

• Registration
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 2339
  • Location:inside your mind... I'm a figment of your imagination

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:50 AM

Update for 2012:

:pirate: Tollways in IL are going up in prices by 87% effective Jan 1st, 2012. So increase the amount used to pay IL tolls in past years by double to be safe.
[center]How's my driving? Flip FOB Driver Pro: Oreo_Otaku. Comments? CALL: 111-555-9999
If you can read this you get a pat on the back.
I drank GOD and it is good!!!
Part of POWA*PinoyOneWorldAlliance*
ninja>pirates!
Acen Hamburglar

#72 User is offline   Defyplums 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 61052

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:02 AM

View PostOreo_Otaku, on 21 November 2011 - 11:50 AM, said:

Update for 2012:

:pirate: Tollways in IL are going up in prices by 87% effective Jan 1st, 2012. So increase the amount used to pay IL tolls in past years by double to be safe.

Coming from MI--how much are the tolls, typically?

Also, how much does one generally tip the cleaning folks?

And finally: the rooms-do the single bed basic rooms come with a "Motion fridge"? I really want that sucker taken out if so. Also, when I stayed at the Hyatt in Detroit for Youmacon last year, I called about 3 weeks before the con to get the cot/rollaway bed secured, though the hotel said no promises, they were able to accomodate us because I asked ahead of time. Has anyone had any luck doing this at ACEN (we will be staying at the Hyatt during ACEN)?
"If epic failures were Olympic events, I'd be on the Wheaties box."

#73 User is offline   Oreo_Otaku 

• Registration
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 2339
  • Location:inside your mind... I'm a figment of your imagination

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:29 PM

Assuming you're coming from the main part of MI, you technically can take I-94 all the way to I-90, exit off of I-190 circle around O'hare to get to the River Rd exit and not have to pay a toll. A few cons is that part of that goes through one of the busiest roads because it goes through the edge of downtown, so plenty of traffic during the day through early evening (enough that you might add a ½-1 hour or more to travel depending on what time you drive through). Going past the O'hare exit starts a toll road.

If you decide on going the quicker route (I-294 to river Rd exit), expect to pay. There are 4 toll plazas each currently at 80 cents. By the time Acen 2012 comes around, toll is most likely $1.50 each give or take 20 cents. I will guess around $12 round trip and $3 should be in change because the River Rd exit toll is currently automated and only takes coins.

Hotel cleaning tip advice: http://hotels.about...._hotel_maid.htm

I can't help about the hotel fridge but most likely you can call and ask.
[center]How's my driving? Flip FOB Driver Pro: Oreo_Otaku. Comments? CALL: 111-555-9999
If you can read this you get a pat on the back.
I drank GOD and it is good!!!
Part of POWA*PinoyOneWorldAlliance*
ninja>pirates!
Acen Hamburglar

#74 User is offline   dreamgirl 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 9362

Posted 26 November 2011 - 03:12 AM

What I've done:

Get dropped off: solves parking $0.

Food = bringing 'Cooler' of drinks sandwich material, chips, snacks, etc, everyone chips in. On saturday we order a pizza before the rave and drinking, its like enjoying your vacation fully but economically bringing things so you can have that last $5 go to the dvd you never thought you would get.

Room: yea...good luck, i stay at the embassy with group, free breakfast, and happy hour win.

Before I go to the con, I buy majority of all the anime and such I want a few months in advance online, CAUSE ITS CHEAPER. so that way when you spend $100 at the con its cause you would have never thought to get it or you wouldnt likely find it somewhere else. You'll appreciate what you buy then more than being a noob. Its all about maximizing your anime collection etc.

:D hope that helps
Its cause im awsum

highschool: discovered anime had a name; thank god.
College: discovered alcohol; YES.
>:D

#75 User is offline   DarkBebi 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 58893

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:17 PM

Room: $200, 8 people coming for 2 rooms for 4 days

Food: $200, $15 a meal for 3 meals a day for 4 days

Badge: $55

Merchandise/Expenses: $600, $200 a day for 3 days. I am bringing a $1000 now
Acen 2013 Cosplay

League of Legends

[*]Head Hunter Master Yi [0% Complete]
[*]Darkforge Jarvan IV [0% Complete]

"Some men just want to watch the world burn"

#76 User is offline   Ashori 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 10991

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:10 PM

For me, my budget is like this:

Hotel and Parking: $0 - My friends are paying for my share of the room as a belated birthday present (my birthday is shortly before A-Cen).
Food: $25-$35 - We tend to go to Mitsuwa and Walmart before getting to the con to buy breakfast and snack foods, as well as bottled water. This year, we plan to spend the least amount we possibly can by price-matching and couponing our food, and thanks to my older brother I have plenty of plastic silverware, plates, and cups to bring along.
Merchandise: $200-$300 for two days - We usually leave early on Sunday, so my money will be spent on Friday and Saturday. The amount I bring depends on taxes, my paychecks, and what money I may get from relatives for my birthday.

So likely, I'll be spending between $225 and $335. Which is nearly half of what I spend last year. -feels a bit proud-
Cosplay Status: Maya Kitajima - Bianca Mask (Pirate Form - 100%; Glass Mask), Lucy Heartfilia (2%; Fairy Tail), Castle of Hearts Alice Liddell (100%; Kuni no Alice series)
My dA | My YouTube Page | My FF.Net Page

#77 User is offline   aprilxeternal 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 59472

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:58 PM

I'm looking at some of these budgets and I'm all like holy crap.
Room:About $150 for 2 nights(Motel 6, nice and cheap :3, plus my friend might reimburse some)
Food: $15-20 for the whole weekend, coolers come in handy
Merchandise: Maybe $50 if I'm lucky
Travel: $16.50, I take the Metra and the Blue Line :D

#78 User is offline   Rori 

• PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 4904

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:50 PM

View PostOreo_Otaku, on 22 November 2011 - 12:29 PM, said:

If you decide on going the quicker route (I-294 to river Rd exit), expect to pay. There are 4 toll plazas each currently at 80 cents. By the time Acen 2012 comes around, toll is most likely $1.50 each give or take 20 cents. I will guess around $12 round trip and $3 should be in change because the River Rd exit toll is currently automated and only takes coins.

Yup, its $1.50 (without an I-PASS).

http://www.illinoist...uadFold_web.pdf
あなたが考えているほど世界はひどくないから。
Spam Poison

#79 User is offline   sakurathekeyblademaster 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:28 PM

View Postaprilxeternal, on 23 January 2012 - 05:58 PM, said:

I'm looking at some of these budgets and I'm all like holy crap.
Room:About $150 for 2 nights(Motel 6, nice and cheap :3, plus my friend might reimburse some)
Food: $15-20 for the whole weekend, coolers come in handy
Merchandise: Maybe $50 if I'm lucky
Travel: $16.50, I take the Metra and the Blue Line :D

You know, you can cut the price for hotel if you book one with Mariott. I'm not sure if they have any rooms left(I booked mine around the end of November) but their price still remains 109 per night which is £218+tax. If you split it with someone, you should be able to have enough(about £124.5 per person). And thats for the whole weekend---until they kick you out at 12:00 on Sunday^J^

~Hope that helped.
2013 Expected Cosplays

Seras Hellsing
Santa Finland Hetalia

#80 User is offline   aprilxeternal 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 59472

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:18 PM

View Postsakurathekeyblademaster, on 23 January 2012 - 09:28 PM, said:

You know, you can cut the price for hotel if you book one with Mariott. I'm not sure if they have any rooms left(I booked mine around the end of November) but their price still remains 109 per night which is £218+tax. If you split it with someone, you should be able to have enough(about £124.5 per person). And thats for the whole weekend---until they kick you out at 12:00 on Sunday^J^

~Hope that helped.

Well the Motel 6 is like 70.00 a night, plus tax. So it's still cheaper. Especially considering my friend can't give me half or such I couldn't afford to stay at a nicer hotel this year, and I'm paying for my boyfriends share. But maybe next year.

#81 User is offline   sakurathekeyblademaster 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:39 AM

View Postaprilxeternal, on 25 January 2012 - 12:18 PM, said:

Well the Motel 6 is like 70.00 a night, plus tax. So it's still cheaper. Especially considering my friend can't give me half or such I couldn't afford to stay at a nicer hotel this year, and I'm paying for my boyfriends share. But maybe next year.

Oooh~! I thought it was 150 each night! I'm sorry, I got it wrong. *And here I was trying to sound smartXD*
2013 Expected Cosplays

Seras Hellsing
Santa Finland Hetalia

#82 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:27 PM

Wondering if anyone is doing anything to make more money, giving up something or budget their money to save up for Acen.

So far I gave up getting rides from my sister since she charges me money, used cash when I am able instead of my card, gave up going out to eat and working the holidays. Got my bonus with the holiday check so money for the hotel is set.
Take A Good Look At Me

#83 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:46 AM

View PostMsLovelyCookie, on 26 January 2012 - 11:27 PM, said:

Wondering if anyone is doing anything to make more money, giving up something or budget their money to save up for Acen.

So far I gave up getting rides from my sister since she charges me money, used cash when I am able instead of my card, gave up going out to eat and working the holidays. Got my bonus with the holiday check so money for the hotel is set.

Basically I'm working a lot and also not letting myself buy things as much. Like I love to buy bubble tea, or food at work (because it's at the mall so it's easier) but I make myself pack a lunch so I can save the money. And I also don't buy stuff I want only stuff I need. So if I need something for school, I get it. If I want to buy an external hard drive just because it's cheap, I don't get it because I want to save the money.
I also try to buy my gas out of Cook County (and buy it in Kane County or something) to avoid high taxes/prices.
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#84 User is offline   MasterHavik 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 61571

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:01 PM

Good thing I'm from Chicago. I might make two seprate sets of cash. One for the train ride out there and back. The other for everything else.
Ummm....I'm going to take you to court!

#85 User is offline   LordCanti 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 19521

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:11 PM

im going to save up $1500 like i did last year :x
Lets be friends :3
Facebook :o
last.fm my music tastes ;3
Newly made deviantART :x
Working on Making Props for my Stiyl Magnus Cosplay

#86 User is offline   Sir Gibby 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 26318

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:40 AM

For past cons I spent as much as $500 just in the dealers room! But the last few years I've gotten really thrifty, and last year I had *no* money to spend at con. And to be honest I think it made the experience that much better, because instead of running around and being fixated on shopping I actually enjoyed the convention more! I went to events; photo shoots, viewing rooms, met people and actually hung out with them. In retrospect going to ACen broke was probably the best thing that could have happened to me!
My life is watching anime, playing video games, and eating Taco Bell with reckless abandonment with my lady!

My cosplays: Raccoon City Police Officer, S.T.A.R.S. officer, Chris Redfield, Dr. Ray Stantz, 10th Doctor, 11th Doctor

Check out My Amazon Kindle Stories, My Writing Blog, and my comic book series

#87 User is offline   woozle 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 61629

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:14 AM

Last year was my first con, and i was told by my president that $200 would be good for the weekend...Now i realize that i would need to bring a LOT more than that, so i've been saving up every paycheck i can. Hoping to have at least $500, $600 for the weekend.

#88 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:19 AM

I find that most of my money is all tied up in transportation, lodging, and food. I don't spend nearly as much as I used to on the con itself anymore.

#89 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:43 AM

Money this year is looking easier even though I'm no longer in a bigger group room.
Staying with just the fiancee at the embassy
$300 for hotel
$25 for badge ( panelist)
$30 for any form of food besides what we'll bring ( red bull and cup ramen >:D )
$30-40 for party supplies.
$100 anything I may want. Though lately I've been pretty good at not buying anything in the dealer's room. This is also the year of my wedding and we are getting a house so it isn't as easy to shed money on everything adorable and probably useless.
so about $500. Which considering past years isn't too bad.
I have a Bookface I have a Bird Sound my snark level is over 9000 : ]
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Compa- hyperdimension nep nep
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#90 User is offline   Defyplums 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 61052

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:34 AM

View PostSir Gibby, on 04 April 2012 - 07:40 AM, said:

For past cons I spent as much as $500 just in the dealers room! But the last few years I've gotten really thrifty, and last year I had *no* money to spend at con. And to be honest I think it made the experience that much better, because instead of running around and being fixated on shopping I actually enjoyed the convention more! I went to events; photo shoots, viewing rooms, met people and actually hung out with them. In retrospect going to ACen broke was probably the best thing that could have happened to me!

Amen, Sir! I've got about $150 set aside for spending, but I'm mostly going to blow that in the artist alley, because those starving artisits need some luv. Honestly, though, most of the licensed stuff you can get at a more affordable price online, so unless it's rare and you can't live without it, best to chew some Pocky and wait on it :)
"If epic failures were Olympic events, I'd be on the Wheaties box."

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users