Irt Dressing Up/cosplaying

#1 User is offline   Tati Saurus Rex 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 35862

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:56 AM

Just a random though that just popped into my head:

When you have that awesome vest on and you're on shift, are there certain clothing restrictions, or do you wear your cosplays under your vests? I never really paid attention too closely, but when I think of IRT I think of people in the army if they were allowed hair dye and piercings.

EDIT: I don't really dig the whole cosplay thing, but I do like to dress up in skirts and 6-inch heels (even though people mistook me for Misa this past ACen). Just wondering.

This post has been edited by Tati Saurus Rex: 19 August 2009 - 04:57 AM

#2 User is offline   this_chick25 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 7489

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:13 AM

Over the years I've been to ACen I've seen IRT members in ears and tails sometimes, but not much more than that. I think they have to keep it low-key when on duty.
Acen Attendee since 2001
Wondering how much to save for ACen? Click here!
FREE! Cosplay construction and materials advice--get yours now!
Never cause more mischief than that which is necessary for success.
Sig invade'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd by Alk <3

#3 User is offline   jsieczkar 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 17116

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:37 AM

Cosplay of any kind was banned this year, and I don't see that changing for 2010.
2008-2009 IRT - Callsign JR
2010 IRT Dispatch - Callsign JR
2011-Present Industry Relations Manager

#4 User is offline   Oreo_Otaku 

• Registration
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 2339
  • Location:inside your mind... I'm a figment of your imagination

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:39 AM

I don't think being on shift for IRT and 6 inch heels are a good combination.
[center]How's my driving? Flip FOB Driver Pro: Oreo_Otaku. Comments? CALL: 111-555-9999
If you can read this you get a pat on the back.
I drank GOD and it is good!!!
Part of POWA*PinoyOneWorldAlliance*
ninja>pirates!
Acen Hamburglar

#5 User is offline   Tati Saurus Rex 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 35862

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:25 PM

View PostOreo_Otaku, on Aug 19 2009, 10:39 AM, said:

I don't think being on shift for IRT and 6 inch heels are a good combination.

lol well I can run a good distance in them without tripping but yeah I figured something less flashy would be best on the feet lol!

#6 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6130

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:16 PM

I can also tell you from personal experience those vests hold in heat - which is the last thing you want, especially in cosplay.
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2007 - Present - Forums Manager
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

#7 User is offline   stringcheese 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 23104

Posted 21 August 2009 - 12:59 AM

View PostTati Saurus Rex, on Aug 19 2009, 05:56 AM, said:

Just a random though that just popped into my head:

When you have that awesome vest on and you're on shift, are there certain clothing restrictions, or do you wear your cosplays under your vests? I never really paid attention too closely, but when I think of IRT I think of people in the army if they were allowed hair dye and piercings.

EDIT: I don't really dig the whole cosplay thing, but I do like to dress up in skirts and 6-inch heels (even though people mistook me for Misa this past ACen). Just wondering.

As someone stated earlier, cosplaying is forbidden for pretty much everyone except registration. As for headwear, we mostly wear bandana's that are color orientated with the convention's colors, (Orange, Black, Blue). Hat's are required to be worn backwards so they don't obstruct viewing. As for clothes underneath, it's required that you keep it family friendly since it's a family convention. Also, don't wear baggy clothes or stuff with holes in it.

And yes, the vests do trap heat in them. It makes it a lot more pleasurable when we have to go outside during those chilly spring evenings.
IRT Callsign: Dub

"We had our words, a common spat. So I kissed him uspide the cranium with an aluminum baseball bat."
-Alowishus Devadander Abercrombie (Long for Mud)

#8 User is offline   Lintor 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 17033

Posted 22 August 2009 - 12:26 AM

View Poststringcheese, on Aug 21 2009, 01:59 AM, said:

As someone stated earlier, cosplaying is forbidden for pretty much everyone except registration. As for headwear, we mostly wear bandana's that are color orientated with the convention's colors, (Orange, Black, Blue). Hat's are required to be worn backwards so they don't obstruct viewing. As for clothes underneath, it's required that you keep it family friendly since it's a family convention. Also, don't wear baggy clothes or stuff with holes in it.

And yes, the vests do trap heat in them. It makes it a lot more pleasurable when we have to go outside during those chilly spring evenings.

So wait, no staff is allowed to cosplay?
...thats only on your shift right? like when your not working can you casplay?
To right the countless wrongs of our day
We shine this light of true redemption
So that this place, may become as paradise
What a wonderful world, such would be...

#9 User is offline   stringcheese 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 23104

Posted 22 August 2009 - 01:31 AM

View PostLintor, on Aug 22 2009, 01:26 AM, said:

Yes. Once you're off shift, you can dress however your little heart desires. (Just make sure it's con appropriate. There were a couple of people I heard this year that had to get pulled over due to very skimpy dress attire.)
IRT Callsign: Dub

"We had our words, a common spat. So I kissed him uspide the cranium with an aluminum baseball bat."
-Alowishus Devadander Abercrombie (Long for Mud)

#10 User is offline   Nyappy 

• GR Logistics DH
  • PipPip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 12228

Posted 22 August 2009 - 01:42 AM

View PostLintor, on Aug 22 2009, 01:26 AM, said:

That's not entirely true. For registration, we were allowed to cosplay while on shift as well, it just had to be G-rated/family-friendly cosplay, so nothing skimpy/inappropriate.
2015 - Present Guest Relations Logistics Department Head
2012 - 2014 - Guest Relations Logistics
2010 - 2011 - Guest Relations
2009 - Registration

#11 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:51 AM

View PostNyappy, on Aug 22 2009, 02:42 AM, said:

That's not entirely true. For registration, we were allowed to cosplay while on shift as well, it just had to be G-rated/family-friendly cosplay, so nothing skimpy/inappropriate.

When I worked Registration I was in cosplay the entire time and it was okay. I can see why IRT is not allowed to cosplay but for a few depts like Reg and EH it should be okay (Just need to make sure it wont mess with your work like cosplaying as Pyramid Head from Silent Hill wouldnt be the best choice)
ar lath ma vhenan

#12 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9629

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:20 AM

Exactly. It depends on the department. Ask your DH if cosplay is appropriate. I asked mine and he said as long as we were still able to do our job cosplay was okay. :) Which is good, I feel weird if I'm at a con and not in cosplay.
Special Needs and Compliance staff for ACen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
ACen 2015: Kumon Kaito (Kamen Rider Gaim), Ian Yorkland (Kyoryuger, Rowdy Roddy Piper
Wizard World 2015 (big maybe): Jemma Simmons
Youmacon 2015: Nightcrawler (tentative), Ian Yorkland

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My cosplay / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#13 User is offline   Hikari189 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 3666

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:23 AM

EHall isn't allowed to cosplay while on shift and the reasoning behind that is that we're dealing with professionals, especially with companies like Nintendo being there this past year, and we want to give an image of professionalism to these companies with isn't very easily obtained while in cosplay. But, it's not like you have to be dressed in a suit and tie either, just something that you might wear to something like a job interview, so please don't be scared of by the fact that there's a dress code.
Video Gaming Staff 2012ADH of Exhibit Hall 2010-11Exhibit Hall staff 2009

#14 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:38 AM

Huh, I didn't know that! But thats okay too. I feel the same way that KnitChick does about cosplay, but regardless I'd still like to be in the EH. A few years ago I saw staffers working in the EH in cosplay, maybe they were doing something else, but I remember them being in cosplay.
ar lath ma vhenan

#15 User is offline   Hikari189 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 3666

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:50 AM

As far as I know Phil implemented the dress code for EHall and Artist Alley when he became DH last year and before that there wasn't one so that would explain why people were cosplaying a few years ago.
Video Gaming Staff 2012ADH of Exhibit Hall 2010-11Exhibit Hall staff 2009

#16 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:57 AM

I know Phil told me that we could wear normal clothes, but it does not exactly have to be "professional" clothing. The clothing just has to abide by the rules. I asked him if I could wear Tripp pants without the chains and he said it was ok. Also, you could technically cosplay if that character wears normal clothes and that their clothes abide by the dress code. It doesn't hurt to ask the higher ups what you can or cannot wear if you aren't sure what you want to wear will abide by the rules.
ACen '14 Cosplay
Fem!Gundam Tanaka [Super Dangan Ronpa 2] [100%]
ACen forum's number one poster and Disney nut.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#17 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2009 - 12:12 PM

View PostHikari189, on Aug 22 2009, 12:50 PM, said:

As far as I know Phil implemented the dress code for EHall and Artist Alley when he became DH last year and before that there wasn't one so that would explain why people were cosplaying a few years ago.

Ah thats what I figured! Thanks for the clarification.
ar lath ma vhenan

#18 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 22 August 2009 - 05:15 PM

Merch booth was able to cosplay as well...I'm horrible at remembering everyone's names (ugh), but I know a handful of us cosplayed at one point or another even while on shift. But the cosplays themselves, as I recall, weren't overly elaborate, and easy to move around in. The only reason I didn't cosplay at all was because I didn't have the time/inclination to pull one together for myself this year~
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#19 User is offline   akaikurama 

• Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 10043

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:05 AM

I was able to cosplay in Panel Programming as long as it doesn't interfere with being able to move and perform your duties.
Remember...
Pics
Short but sweet!!

#20 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:26 PM

I'm personally a fan of a dress code for all of management, and some 'guidelines' for regular staff.

As the age group continues to decline, as I have seen the past few years (at cons in general) more and more parents and the like are coming to cons. As staff members, we represent the convention to everyone we come in contact with. I personally do not see a problem with asking people to take off the catears for a few hours, for example.

Of course, we in MP cosplay a lot.
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"

#21 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:47 PM

I wouldn't have a problem with guidelines, myself - I actually like to know what guidelines/rules I gotta follow, since I really don't like the idea of stepping on any toes. That being said, though, I don't even I plan on cosplaying while staffing for Acen XIII, since I'm still losing weight, and thus can't accurately make anything - we're talking a loss of 15-20 more pounds for a goal here; and B) I can guarantee that whatever cosplay I want to do would be too elaborate to wear while working. Like, Valkyrie Profile elaborate. ^^;;
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#22 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:54 PM

Well, the guidelines and rules and such I talk about aren't really bad ones. I think everyone would generally be okay with them.

I just need to talk to Rosa and MAPS about it...which i should do soon. +mental note+
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#23 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2009 - 06:47 PM

View PostAlkaren Hyralt, on Aug 25 2009, 05:54 PM, said:

Well, the guidelines and rules and such I talk about aren't really bad ones. I think everyone would generally be okay with them.

I just need to talk to Rosa and MAPS about it...which i should do soon. +mental note+

I completely understand with being professional on the job, but theres alot of cosplays that are tastful and family friendly while still looking professional! I think it also brings out the fact that we have ties with the fans and that we arent just all 'high and mighty' people telling you where a certain place is and whatnot. I can see why in some departments it shouldnt be allowed, but for some I think it should be acceptable. But thats just what I think :P
ar lath ma vhenan

#24 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:05 PM

View PostSka_Toranpetta, on Aug 25 2009, 07:47 PM, said:

I completely understand with being professional on the job, but theres alot of cosplays that are tastful and family friendly while still looking professional! I think it also brings out the fact that we have ties with the fans and that we arent just all 'high and mighty' people telling you where a certain place is and whatnot. I can see why in some departments it shouldnt be allowed, but for some I think it should be acceptable. But thats just what I think :P

For general staff it's not so much an issue in my mind. I think regular staff should be allowed to be creative and show off their cosplay/s (depending on the department of course.) But I really believe in mandatory dress codes for management (this would include myself.) But without going in to details concerning my idea before i present it, it's not something as ominous as it sounds.

Think of it this way: you're an attendee in need of help for... video gaming. Maybe as a parent and first time con person with your child. And in the room are four staff members, however all four in cosplay. How do you know that one of these people is the ADH or DH? You can't exactly go up and stare at badges. An average person isn't even going to assume the people in cosplay are staff members, likely.

I'm really just a fan of making sure management is more identifiable than they currently are, is all.
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#25 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:38 PM

^That makes sense as far as management goes! That kind of reminds me of my old job where my manager looked like a punk. He had 2 gauge earrings and tattoos all over himself. HOW he got into management, I have no idea, but no one took him seriously and actually didn't want his help when he could help them because of his appearance. In this world appearances make it or break it sadly.
ar lath ma vhenan

#26 User is offline   Lintor 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:58 AM

Heh, That's what I wanted to hear.
I can dress professional, or business casual or whatever is necessiarry, however I rather would like to wear my cosplay, its a little baggy, but I can still perform any task in it.

#27 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:02 AM

View PostLintor, on Aug 26 2009, 02:58 AM, said:

Heh, That's what I wanted to hear.
I can dress professional, or business casual or whatever is necessiarry, however I rather would like to wear my cosplay, its a little baggy, but I can still perform any task in it.

You, having first-hand knowledge, know that I do not force a dress code on anyone in main. And hopefully I do not seem the kind to do so.

Well, no sandals of course - and something functional.
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#28 User is offline   Lintor 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:12 AM

I have noticed, but I wasn't sure if it was actually allowed, or they were just exceptions, I mean it only seemed as though those with seniority were in cosplay.

I also noticed I appear to be failing to successfully quote anything, and I rather dislike this revision of IPB, glad it was easy to see which post I was responding to.

This post has been edited by Lintor: 26 August 2009 - 02:13 AM

#29 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:19 AM

View PostLintor, on Aug 26 2009, 03:12 AM, said:

I have noticed, but I wasn't sure if it was actually allowed, or they were just exceptions, I mean it only seemed as though those with seniority were in cosplay.

I also noticed I appear to be failing to successfully quote anything, and I rather dislike this revision of IPB, glad it was easy to see which post I was responding to.

Click the reply button on the post. Kinda right hand corner of the post.

Yeah I guess it kinda would look that way when I stop and think about it. There was much more cosplay going on last year (with Asuka in like a chef outfit that I never quite did figure out why...)

And Gendo is well...Gendo.

For us in main, cosplay isn't too practical though outside of something like the Masquerade. We run around a lot, we get sweaty moving stuff, which that stuff could easily destroy a cosplay through ripping or other means if you think about it, or get very dirty.

Personally, I've kinda liked how the department as a whole tends to break out cosplay for the Masquerade. This year of course I didn't really see any of alpha, and was confined for the masquerade. :[
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#30 User is offline   Shay 

• Pocky Girl
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 8706

Posted 26 August 2009 - 04:37 PM

With IRT, the most important thing that you have to keep in mind is safety... which is why we have certain rules regarding dress. Question to keep in mind are: Can you run in it if needed? Is it something that would be easy to grab to impede your progress? Is it something that obscures your view or keeps people from recognizing you?

The third question pretty much rules out cosplay... if someone has a problem with a person on IRT, we want them to be able to recognize us. And we need to be able to see everything around us easily and to be able to move quickly.

Also, even though we CAN wear cosplay off shift, we have to keep in mind that anyone on IRT could be called in to deal with an emergency, even off shift. So if someone on IRT is cosplaying off shift, they should still keep things tasteful and something you can easily move in.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users