• This topic is locked

Cosplay Gathering Changes MANDATORY FOR ALL GATHERINGS

#1 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 06 June 2009 - 03:01 AM

Tonight, the idea was brought up for a big change with the cosplay gatherings this next year.

In order to a) schedule this best with panels, B) be nice to the Fire Marshall (capacity went NUTS this year), and c) try to make the gatherings a little less on the unofficial side and try to make this more inclusive to and with the convention itself (more space possibly?), instead of people picking places and times, they would have gatherings submitted... and we would schedule the time and place. The person submitting should be the person who would be the organizer of the meetup and of course, scheduling requests would be taken into strong consideration. This would make things easier for groups of different sizes not have to compete for space, it would get a schedule in much earlier (for your viewing and the programming books) so you guys can begin to plan your con way earlier than 3 days beforehand.

What would you guys think of this idea?

#2 User is offline   jenchan 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 30

Posted 06 June 2009 - 09:27 AM

Although this sounds like a good idea, I think groups would feel a bit restricted by it. IMHO I feel it would make groups feel more "controlled" by the con.

Sometimes it's obvious there will be a big group(X, Naruto, Inuyasha), but some cannot be anticipated. You never know whom(or a group) to decide to come to the meet at the last minute, and all of a sudden you have a HUGE group that was not anticipated.

It's a good idea, but many many details would have to be worked out in order for this to possibly work.
Unless you get everyone to "register" for the gatherings and photo shoots, I see no real way of making this work efficiently.

Here is an idea: Possibly set up a room in the convention center or a space outside with enough room to accommodate the largest of groups, and set up gathering locations in those locations based on if they want an indoor or outdoor setting. If we could get some decent backdrops/props for the indoor shoots, this would be an idea as well.

I would be willing to help with this, but I think a good photographer may have some insight as to how those situations could be handled better.
Jenn
President of Japanese Anime People of Chicago, a local, independent Chicagoland anime club.
website- MyAnimeList - Tumblr
Probably the oldest member of the ST☆RISH fanclub.
Prince of Tennis ACen Cosplay Group Network on FACEBOOK

#3 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 06 June 2009 - 10:47 AM

I don't really like the idea of the places being picked for us simply because I see a lot of threads that are trying to pick a spot that will match the theme of the gathering. If this does go through I think it should be something of a first come first serve thing. The organizer of the gathering is given a form to fill out (see really lazy example below) with three spaces for times, three spaces for locations, 2 spaces for a backup location and one space for day. Then it's submitted and the people that organize things (that's you guys) put it into an Microsoft Excel system so you know what's being blocked out.

Example Form:

Name:_________________________________________

Forum Name:___________________________________

Badge Name:____________________________________

Contact (Phone):_________________________________

Contact (Email):__________________________________

Gathering Title (anime/manga/game title): ____________________________

Circle ONE day for gathering shoot:
THURSDAY MAY 13 --------- FRIDAY MAY 14-----------SATURDAY MAY 15-----------SUNDAY MAY 16

Select up to three (3) times for shoot:
_______________ _____________________ ______________

Select up to three (3) locations for shoot:
_______________ _____________________ _________________

Select up to two (2) back up locations for shoot:
________________ ___________________

Estimated Time needed For shoot (please keep shoots to a 1.5 hours): __________________
(any shoots that run over and interfere with other shoots WILL be forced to stop in order to keep things to schedule)

Submit your request to cactusmama via the ACEN Forums Messaging System. You will receive a confirmation email when the request is received. Allow 14 business days for request to be processed. All requests are treated on a first come, first serve basis. If there is a scheduling conflict we reserve the rights to make changes as necessary. In this event, there will be no more than 2 gatherings in one location at one given time.

And then HERE ON THIS IMAGE is a Microsoft Excel example layout for Friday.

I think this way still gives people the opportunity to pick where and when so a large majority of the gatherers are still satisfied while getting rid of any possible overlapping or confusion. Acen still picks the final time and location but they pick based on what people want rather than just handing out times and locations in alphabetical order or so.
A-Cen 2015: Sailor Luna (PGSM) / Fish Mooney (Gotham TV Series) / Anthy (Revolutionary Girl Utena) / Fluttershy (My Little Pony: FIM)

(No Photos)A-cen 2014: Angewomon (Digimon) //// Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) //// Hikaru (Angelic Layer)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#4 User is offline   Spooky Elric 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 23668

Posted 06 June 2009 - 11:25 AM

I personally love the idea of it being laid out like that in the program booklets. Youmacon does this and it means more people show up to be in the shoot or take pictures of the shoot. Only problem I forsee with it is people not knowing where the specified place is. Which I can see happening, so unless its on the map somehow people might get lost x.x

I like CrimsonAnime's whole idea about submitting a form and putting it in a blocked form like on excel!
<3 I'm the owner of Spooky Designs. Check out my deviant art. I also go to this sweet convention called Youmacon, you should try to go sometime<3
<3 Ohayocon 2012 Cosplays:
Chloe Brennan, Steampunk: 100%??||Kaylee, Firefly: 100%||

<3 Attending ACen with Crimson Chain Leatherworks.

#5 User is offline   Jam-Kiske 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 10878

Posted 06 June 2009 - 09:23 PM

Honestly: I really don't like this idea in the least.

Things are totally fine as they are for all that matters. Gatherings get in the program book [though maybe a deadline for that could be given earlier on so that less gatherings end up left out] so I don't see what the heck the problem is.
Size is impossible to know for gatherings save for obviously huge ones [Naruto, Bleach, FF, you know...].

The only thing I'd say is that there should be some sort of map or something that makes it clear what the gathering areas are rather than just pictures on here as that's just confusing and no one seems to know where a place you want to get to is when you ask.
Oops can't afford to go to ACEN anymore! >:

#6 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 07 June 2009 - 12:32 AM

It sounds like a good idea, but I am not a fan of the idea, but I do think that there could be some back up places for smaller groups that may become larger at the con. Say, Hetalia is at a place inside and there are like 10 people on the forums who are for sure going to be at the shoot and then all of a sudden there end up being more than 30 people at the shoot, then they could move to the back up location where there would be more space. There are bugs with this because some photoshoots might clash, but it is a thought.
ACen '14 Cosplay
Fem!Gundam Tanaka [Super Dangan Ronpa 2] [100%]
ACen forum's number one poster and Disney nut.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#7 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 June 2009 - 01:10 AM

Alright, some ideas that were thrown around today and that I'd like to persue (no promises of them happening, just bringing them up as potentials):

- Deadline of February 28 for submissions. This way, I can get this scheduling in with main programming and panels so we can all start working things around each other with plenty of time.
- Times and locations can be requested in the form. I'm going to be scouting out the area for extra places and this:

Here is an idea: Possibly set up a room in the convention center or a space outside with enough room to accommodate the largest of groups, and set up gathering locations in those locations based on if they want an indoor or outdoor setting. If we could get some decent backdrops/props for the indoor shoots, this would be an idea as well.

Was already brought up last night, before this post was made and is being strongly considered.
- More maps will be available..both in the programming book as well as to staff.
- I WILL be checking these forums and coscom for the person who submits the form. If they have obvious leadership of the gathering and appear to be the organizer, they will be labeled in the books as the go-to for each specific group.
- As with years past and will continually do.. we will consider the type of fandom each gathering represents. We cross-check fandom trends, how things do at other conventions (helps that we're right in the middle of the season!), and even with what guests are showing up (ex: Nobuyuki Hiyama @ Anime North. LINK. EVERYWHERE.). We'll be working to keep as many gatherings as possible between the hours of 11 am and 8 pm (pending masquerade and requests) and not-interfering with major events so as many people as possible can come to each meetup.

This submission idea will also alleviate the lack of communication between forums, it wouldn't give room for people to bicker among each other about times.. rain backups would be given for EVERYONE!.. it would reduce the risk people taking 2 months to agree on a time and date, then submit it... and I have to push for another area due to 2 other very large gatherings being in the same area.. ....and really, in the last two years, ACen's seen a 30%+ growth in attendance (and are rapidly catching up to cons like Otakon)..we are still very fan-run and fan-orientated, but to keep things running smoothly with this growing trend..we're going to need a little more cooperation between attendees and con. I'll be available for contact as always, so any questions/comments/suggestions are entirely open and welcome.

#8 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 June 2009 - 01:14 AM

I really like the sound of this. This should keep things a bit more organized. :3 Especially since there were last minute stuff that made it a little crazy. x.x Didn't you have two deadlines or extend the original deadline? Because I remember you had a deadline and then didn't you extend it?
ACen '14 Cosplay

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#9 User is online   -JUNK- 

• Forum Hell Raven
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19299

Posted 07 June 2009 - 01:15 AM

i think its a good idea but all ive got to say if there is a Rozen Maiden make sure they go where they match "garden" we dont want them taking pictures in a parking garage or loading dock, im sure i didnt see those things in the series XD

just make sure the anime groups match where they are going to take picture is makes them look alot better

just a idea incase some of them photoholics come by and want to complain

and what if someone wants to cosplay more than one character during the weekend and that person is told that 2 of their cosplays are taking place on the same day what are they suppose to do?

id say they way things have been going so far is okay but change them if you please.

This post has been edited by -JUNK-: 26 June 2009 - 09:05 PM

ACen 15"
Utsuho 100%
Siesta 00 100%

*~Proud Supporter of the GBLT Community.~*

#10 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:57 AM

View Post-JUNK-, on Jun 7 2009, 02:15 AM, said:

i think its a good idea but all ive got to say if there is a Rozen Maiden make sure they go where they match "garden" we dont want them taking pictures in a parking garage or loading dock, im sure i didnt see those things in the series XD

just make sure the anime groups match where they are going to take picture is makes them look alot better

Yeah...I still can't grasp Bleach and Loading Docks but it's the only place big enough for such a gathering...
A-Cen 2015: Sailor Luna (PGSM) / Fish Mooney (Gotham TV Series) / Anthy (Revolutionary Girl Utena) / Fluttershy (My Little Pony: FIM)

(No Photos)A-cen 2014: Angewomon (Digimon) //// Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) //// Hikaru (Angelic Layer)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)

#11 User is offline   jenchan 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 07 June 2009 - 10:34 AM

View Postcactusmomma, on Jun 7 2009, 02:10 AM, said:

- As with years past and will continually do.. we will consider the type of fandom each gathering represents. We cross-check fandom trends, how things do at other conventions (helps that we're right in the middle of the season!), and even with what guests are showing up (ex: Nobuyuki Hiyama @ Anime North. LINK. EVERYWHERE.). We'll be working to keep as many gatherings as possible between the hours of 11 am and 8 pm (pending masquerade and requests) and not-interfering with major events so as many people as possible can come to each meetup.

This submission idea will also alleviate the lack of communication between forums, it wouldn't give room for people to bicker among each other about times.. rain backups would be given for EVERYONE!.. it would reduce the risk people taking 2 months to agree on a time and date, then submit it... and I have to push for another area due to 2 other very large gatherings being in the same area.. ....and really, in the last two years, ACen's seen a 30%+ growth in attendance (and are rapidly catching up to cons like Otakon)..we are still very fan-run and fan-orientated, but to keep things running smoothly with this growing trend..we're going to need a little more cooperation between attendees and con. I'll be available for contact as always, so any questions/comments/suggestions are entirely open and welcome.

There is one fatal flaw in this planning. You can do all the research you want, and that still may not be able to gauge how many people there will be. As mentioned before, you can anticipate some group sizes, but not ALL of them. Also, there are a lot of people that I know of that are a member of these forums. What can we do about that issue? What if a cosplayers that know nothing about the gathering until they are at the con that is already cosplaying for said series wants to come to the gathering and is not "registered" for it? Are then then not allowed to participate in it? Shall we set something up like this at-con, such as a walk-up cosplay gathering check-in?

I'm not trying to throw a wrench in this, I just think there were a few pionts that need to be addressed.

I understand this is not going to be a welcome change, and I frankly see too many problems with it, and I don't support it, but I understand why the con would want to do it, and I hope I can do all in my power to help the con view this from a cosplayers point of view.

Please keep in mind the utmost respect must be shown for the cosplayers with regard to scheduling and location. I have known people to have several costumes in one day, and while the scheduling may be viewed as a good thing to possibly plan with, it also may be viewed as a big hassle if there is no time to change in between gatherings. I'm not saying that your going to have to accomodate for everyone, just pointing out there may be a lot of discourse from this planning.

I think at this point there should be some sort of realistic map and guide with current pictures of the popular photo shoot locations(mainly not taken in winter), as previously mentioned. That would help start the process. Your going to have to really "sell" this to the cosplayers.
Jenn
President of Japanese Anime People of Chicago, a local, independent Chicagoland anime club.

#12 User is offline   tsukeru 

• ~Not a Moderator~
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 19344

Posted 07 June 2009 - 11:07 AM

I'm not up for this idea either. Youma Con has "official" photoshoots where they pick the popular series or if a series is suggested and schedule the shoots before a panel (if the series has one). Secondly, picking a group leader is pretty bad idea. Some people take charge better then others and can plan events better then others, but some don't check the forums every day. I'm very against this idea unless it's ran more like Youma's. It's just not going to work out well. It's been running fine the way it has been in the past.

#13 User is offline   ~Sarah-Chan~ 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 17387

Posted 07 June 2009 - 05:24 PM

Personally I dont like the idea of having a place picked out for us. It takes away from the uniqueness of the photoshoots and when the group is allowed to pick a spot it allows for everyone's opinion to be heard and everyone has a chance to pick the place and time.

I just dont like the thought of people forcing us into a certain space....it just doesnt feel right.

Also the old saying, if it aint broke, dont fix it.

The photoshoots have been working out since I have been going to Acen (since 2006) The biggest issue that I ever had was trying to find the location of the shoots. And once I joined the forums I managed to learn more. We had backup plans in the event of rain and other problems so I will say this, dont change the system. The photoshoots are fine the way they are.

This post has been edited by ~Sarah-Chan~: 07 June 2009 - 05:33 PM

#14 User is offline   Kitsu-chan 

• 2+2 = 5
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 6190
  • Location:Hiding from my Sewing machine. Shh... Don't tell it I'm under the bed.

Posted 07 June 2009 - 06:24 PM

I've got mixed feelings about it. Every year I've been going to ACen there have been no problems with the photoshoots, except the 2008 Blood+. Since ACen Staff definitely seems to be listening to ideas & trying to meet us halfway, I feel it could be a great plan.

I like CrimsonAnime's idea for a request form. I hope it gets heavy consideration. It allows the cosplay group some freedom of possible times & places, but if ACen Staff feels the places aren't appropriate since the group might end up too large they can contact the organizer. It also would help avoid having multiple large meetups in the same area at the same time.

I also do like the idea of knowing the submission deadline farther in advance. I feel it could make things easier on the cosplayers & ACen Staff. We often get lost talking about how we're making [insert prop/outfit] & suddenly it gets announced when we need to our times submitted. If we know exactly when our submission is due, we can finalize the time & place sooner. Rather than spend 1/2 the time between when the deadline is announced & the deadline trying to decide.
Resident Ladyboy of the ACen Forums

Sadly won't be attending ACen 2012. So I'll be taking my cosplay up a notch for 2013.

#15 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:15 PM

View Postjenchan, on Jun 7 2009, 04:34 PM, said:

There is one fatal flaw in this planning. You can do all the research you want, and that still may not be able to gauge how many people there will be. As mentioned before, you can anticipate some group sizes, but not ALL of them.

The same can be said for the organizers of gatherings in the past.

What if a cosplayers that know nothing about the gathering until they are at the con that is already cosplaying for said series wants to come to the gathering and is not "registered" for it? Are then then not allowed to participate in it? Shall we set something up like this at-con, such as a walk-up cosplay gathering check-in?

The submissions would be for gatherings as a whole... this wouldn't be an RSVP.

#16 User is offline   jenchan 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:45 AM

View Postcactusmomma, on Jun 7 2009, 09:15 PM, said:

The same can be said for the organizers of gatherings in the past.

The submissions would be for gatherings as a whole... this wouldn't be an RSVP.

I would agree with you, but they were not being controlled or planned by the con. You have to opportunity to get this right, or piss a lot of people off, quite frankly.

I do think that this has to be done very carefully, and fully thought out before implemented. I'm trying to be open about this, but I see way too many flaws in this "system" that I am trying help you find solutions for. I hope that you are taking everyone's suggestions into consideration, and I am willing to help in any way I can.

Just keep in mind, as big as AX( I know you all hate to mentions of other cons, sorry) is, they don't need something like this.

I also recall seeing a lot of unallocated space in the exhibit hall and in various other areas of the con, perhaps that could be considered as well?

I have also thought of one other factor that may be considered in this. Sometimes major guest(s) are announced at the last minute and all of a sudden you have planned for a small group of cosplayers for what series(s) said creator/designer/producer has worked on. Now there may be a heckofalot more. Would you move the gathering at the last minute as well? And if so, would there be time to communicate this to everyone, even those not on the froum?

I'm not trying to cause any trouble or strife here, just raising some pionts that I hope will/are being considered.

Thanks!
Jenn

#17 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:43 AM

Would you be able to move a photoshoot so it wouldn't be in the way of a concert because I was going to go to the Pokemon Photoshoot but that started at 6 (no one knew when the concert was by the time the photoshoot deadline was) and I wanted to get to the line early so I could get a good spot so I couldn't go to the photoshoot. So, would there be a way that you could make it so photoshoots wouldn't clash with concerts or big events?
ACen '14 Cosplay

#18 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:58 PM

View PostLina, on Jun 8 2009, 10:43 AM, said:

Would you be able to move a photoshoot so it wouldn't be in the way of a concert because I was going to go to the Pokemon Photoshoot but that started at 6 (no one knew when the concert was by the time the photoshoot deadline was) and I wanted to get to the line early so I could get a good spot so I couldn't go to the photoshoot. So, would there be a way that you could make it so photoshoots wouldn't clash with concerts or big events?

that would take away a lot of time on two days because it would include the possible 2 hour concert, the 2+ hour masquerade, both dances, and possibly even autograph sessions. Unfortunately it sometimes comes down to picking and choosing what is more important

#19 User is offline   keitaro-849 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 9285

Posted 11 June 2009 - 03:00 AM

i don't like the idea because i feel uneasy about Acen picking the time and place of cosplay gatherings. Because more than likely the laid out schedules will be made at the last minute. It's a bit easier to just let them work out a time and place in the individual threads that works best for them. The only good thing about it may be that people don't have to stress about choosing a non-conflicted time to have a gathering. But how would this work though? would some gatherings not be able to happen because of conflicts? i dunno i dont like it =/
If you wanna chat to me ;)
aim: keitaro849
msn: alan849@hotmail.com
yahoo: dejiko849
facebook: http://facebook.com/Dashy.of.harmony

#20 User is offline   DaphHime 

• Registration
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 303

Posted 18 June 2009 - 08:39 PM

I'm iffy on this as well. On the one hand, it would be nice to have a way avoid possible conflicts with panels and photoshoots. That was one of the problems the Gintama shoot had, which prevented us from getting our photoshoot in the programming book. (Group leader was running a panel and by the time she found out what time the panel was, it was way too late for us to even advertise our photoshoots on the forums. We wound up picking our times mere days before the con.)

On the other, the best part about the photoshoots was the flexibility to pick a time and place that suited the series. Some just lend themselves to certain places at certain times. I know that there are groups that obviously need large spaces, but for smaller groups that don't really need such places and have a bit more freedom to pick their location, this could upset them somewhat.

One idea though for the group leader thing, maybe instead of one group leader, I think a leader and a co-leader would be a good idea. Incase something happens to the first (sickness, last minute conflicts etc.). Also cross check photoshoot leaders with whose running panels (if possible), to prevent the above conflict. I hope that was clear enough. ^^'
Acen Registration Staff 2010-???
Poss. cosplays: Marie (Soul Eater), Ukraine (Hetalia), Anri (DRRR!!), usual Gintama stuff.

Currently watching Soul Eater, Hetaila, Gintama, Durarara!!
Currently playing World of Warcraft (Sarhime/Syirens/Daphime (all Horde) @ Ravencrest if you want to look me up. :) )

Twitter//Facebook//Livejournal (friends only, but feel free to add!)

#21 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:31 PM

View PostDaphHime, on Jun 18 2009, 09:39 PM, said:

I'm iffy on this as well. On the one hand, it would be nice to have a way avoid possible conflicts with panels and photoshoots. That was one of the problems the Gintama shoot had, which prevented us from getting our photoshoot in the programming book. (Group leader was running a panel and by the time she found out what time the panel was, it was way too late for us to even advertise our photoshoots on the forums. We wound up picking our times mere days before the con.)

On the other, the best part about the photoshoots was the flexibility to pick a time and place that suited the series. Some just lend themselves to certain places at certain times. I know that there are groups that obviously need large spaces, but for smaller groups that don't really need such places and have a bit more freedom to pick their location, this could upset them somewhat.

One idea though for the group leader thing, maybe instead of one group leader, I think a leader and a co-leader would be a good idea. Incase something happens to the first (sickness, last minute conflicts etc.). Also cross check photoshoot leaders with whose running panels (if possible), to prevent the above conflict. I hope that was clear enough. ^^'

I love this idea. I ended up getting laryngitis at the con and I was supposed to be in charge of the Kingdom Hearts photoshoot, but since I ended up not cosplaying Halloween Town! Kairi like I had planned to, I ended up not going to the shoot, but if I did end up cosplaying her and was in charge, I would have needed an assistant since I could barely talk.
ACen '14 Cosplay

#22 User is offline   Phantasmagoria 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 17773

Posted 26 June 2009 - 01:36 PM

This is a dandy idea and all.... but I don't like it for the people who have to change 3+ times in one day. Because alot of people are bringing boatloads of costumes. It will be nearly impossible for a person to have enough time to change.

Because what if say (using it as example), a Bleach group applied for a scheduled shoot at 2 PM, and someone in that group was going to say... a Hetalia shoot at 4 PM. Now, say the Bleach shoot had to be changed because of time/space conflicts and was moved to 4 PM in a different place other than the Hetalia shoot and the person had to choose between one, eh? Think about that.

This post has been edited by Phantasmagoria: 26 June 2009 - 01:43 PM

ACEN 2012
Facebook: http://www.facebook....alexandriaburns

FRIDAY: Chii (Chobits) SATURDAY: Yuna (Final Fantasy X) SATURDAY NIGHT: TripleSix (Soap Bubble)

#23 User is offline   desu 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 23078

Posted 26 June 2009 - 09:15 PM

View PostPhantasmagoria, on Jun 26 2009, 02:36 PM, said:

This is a dandy idea and all.... but I don't like it for the people who have to change 3+ times in one day. Because alot of people are bringing boatloads of costumes. It will be nearly impossible for a person to have enough time to change.

Because what if say (using it as example), a Bleach group applied for a scheduled shoot at 2 PM, and someone in that group was going to say... a Hetalia shoot at 4 PM. Now, say the Bleach shoot had to be changed because of time/space conflicts and was moved to 4 PM in a different place other than the Hetalia shoot and the person had to choose between one, eh? Think about that.

Good Point O.o
Cosplays so far
Yuri Nakamura- Angel Beats 100%
Suiseiseki:100%
Gothic lolita mikuru:100%

Facebook
Deviant art

#24 User is offline   Phantasmagoria 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2009 - 09:57 PM

Exactly
ACEN 2012

FRIDAY: Chii (Chobits) SATURDAY: Yuna (Final Fantasy X) SATURDAY NIGHT: TripleSix (Soap Bubble)

#25 User is offline   Cuddles116 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 7378

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:18 AM

I've been thinking it over since it was posted and I frankly don't like it one bit. The photoshoots have always been decided location(s) and time(s) by the people who were actually going to be using it and it really should stay that way, but if higher ups have decided then that's pretty much that and this year will be a test run to the new policy.
JenFur
Toxic Kiwi Wig/Prop Commissions
Anime Central 2011
. . Fri - Scanty (w/ Brief)- Panty & Stocking
. . Sat - Panty (w/ Brief)- Panty & StockingHalloween 2011 - Alice - Resident Evil Afterlife
Pictures - ACEN Aftershock, ACEN 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, Reactor 2009, 2007, [size=2]2006

#26 User is offline   jenchan 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:35 AM

View PostPhantasmagoria, on Jun 26 2009, 02:36 PM, said:

Exactly, I brought this point up as well in a previous post.

Please keep in mind the utmost respect must be shown for the cosplayers with regard to scheduling and location. I have known people to have several costumes in one day, and while the scheduling may be viewed as a good thing to possibly plan with, it also may be viewed as a big hassle if there is no time to change in between gatherings. I'm not saying that your going to have to accommodate for everyone, just pointing out there may be a lot of discourse from this planning.
Jenn

#27 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 June 2009 - 12:40 PM

Most likely they will space out the bigger shoots(the more common/popular/newer anime or manga gatherings) and put the smaller ones between. It's the best way to try to accommodate everyone.

#28 User is offline   Phantasmagoria 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:03 PM

View Postjenchan, on Jun 28 2009, 10:35 AM, said:

Exactly, I brought this point up as well in a previous post.

Please keep in mind the utmost respect must be shown for the cosplayers with regard to scheduling and location. I have known people to have several costumes in one day, and while the scheduling may be viewed as a good thing to possibly plan with, it also may be viewed as a big hassle if there is no time to change in between gatherings. I'm not saying that your going to have to accommodate for everyone, just pointing out there may be a lot of discourse from this planning.

That's really the only 2 problems I have with this, as we've both discussed.
Because we very well know this plan isn't going to accommodate -everyone-. Therefore someone is going to get shunned and not be able to make it to all photoshoots because of something happening. Which isn't fair for that one person.

I'm just saying though, if you guys end up doing this, we will all have to make due with it, which is fine as well I guess. I like what people have been saying on here though. I say if there's not a big problem with the way they've always been run, then why change it now?
ACEN 2012

#29 User is offline   DysFUNKtional Duck 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 23306

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:35 AM

View Post-JUNK-, on Jun 7 2009, 02:15 AM, said:

id say they way things have been going so far is okay but change them if you please.
Photoholic here with a camera in one hand and a complaint in the other! JUNK is right about the location problem. Certain anime are very particular in that way. Some just can't be shot well in most places. Like she said, Rozen Maiden, I couldn't see it anywhere but the garden. If it doesn't end up there, those cosplayer pretty much got screwed. The same applies for quite a few anime I can think of.

Also, I realize that this new policy is supposed to accommodate the most people, but what about the leaders/organizers of each group? What if you schedule their photoshoot for a time that they can't make it. It may only be one person out of many, but I hardly think it's fair to exclude the organizer of the gathering.

Besides, it was working just fine the way we were doing it before. I can see the benefits, but the reasons to keep the old way heavily outweigh the reasons to change it. I'm not at all happy about this idea.
Confirmed 2010 Cosplays:
Toph Bei Fong - Avatar: The Last Airbender

A proud member of the Crossplay Coalition and the HaruHE fanclub.

#30 User is offline   ~Sarah-Chan~ 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 17387

Posted 13 July 2009 - 03:27 PM

View PostDysFUNKtional Duck, on Jul 13 2009, 09:35 AM, said:

Photoholic here with a camera in one hand and a complaint in the other! JUNK is right about the location problem. Certain anime are very particular in that way. Some just can't be shot well in most places. Like she said, Rozen Maiden, I couldn't see it anywhere but the garden. If it doesn't end up there, those cosplayer pretty much got screwed. The same applies for quite a few anime I can think of.

Also, I realize that this new policy is supposed to accommodate the most people, but what about the leaders/organizers of each group? What if you schedule their photoshoot for a time that they can't make it. It may only be one person out of many, but I hardly think it's fair to exclude the organizer of the gathering.

Besides, it was working just fine the way we were doing it before. I can see the benefits, but the reasons to keep the old way heavily outweigh the reasons to change it. I'm not at all happy about this idea.

I highly agree with this statement. As a beginner photographer and a cosplayer, the location is key to any photoshoot and it does have to go along with the theme. I ran the Final Fantasy shoot this past year and while it was in a smaller area than years past, it fit well with the theme and everyone enjoyed it and had fun. There were several more large photoshoots going on around us and none of them got in our way nor did we get in their way.

I simply don't understand why this messure is being taken. If its an issue of getting the photoshoots schedules in on time, make an earlier deadline for these shoots. I would also advise putting something on the main page to let people know these deadlines so that other gatherings don't get excluded.

You also say you want use to have more than 3 days to plan our con schedules yet all of the other departments didnt have anything finalized. The panel programming list was pending until the day of the con when it was fully updated. So it really wouldnt matter.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users