Unethical Fandom?

#121 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:51 AM

View PostKitsu-chan, on Apr 15 2010, 09:53 PM, said:

Looking at Wikipedia, they say they dropped due to difficulty in finding backers and securing a TV airing deal.

Ah, yeah, I remember I asked at the Ouran Host club panal last year why it was that tv stations didn't air shojo, considering the likes of Twilight, vampire diaries, gossip girl do just fine, why can't anime do that? Problem was the backers, it would be very hard to secure advertisers for it because most of the population still looks at Anime as "Kiddy."
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#122 User is offline   technoBC 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 24388

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:38 AM

View PostIshoku Osero, on Apr 14 2010, 02:29 PM, said:

Paper media isn't dying out, there are still thousands upon thousands of people that buy the actual books, and it'll remain that way since there are still a lot of us that think the same way.

I have a couple co-workers that have those e-readers, but they still buy regular books too. They just use the devices for when they travel.

As opposed to everyone who could read read only paper media, it is dying a bit.
The fact that more and more people don't even pick of a newspaper means it's dying.
It doesn't have to be a catastrophic drop, but it is still a drop.

Well, there are a lot of people with this same kind of thinking, but there are also those who think it's a waste of space now.
I just don't want everything to go digital -3-
Though, I know paper media will never die out, but it will become less common.

I'd like an e-reader for traveling purposes, but really, I don't travel too much xD
Anywhere I really go, I can handle carrying a book or two and at school I wouldn't be able to use an e-reader -.-;
I bet they're easier to read in a moving vehicle than a normal book o3o

~Go Go Procrasti-Rangers!~

#123 User is offline   technoBC 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 24388

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:55 AM

View PostKitana_Matsuri, on Apr 14 2010, 03:21 PM, said:

I have so much manga on my bookshelf, it's not even funny. I'm seriously going to need a new bookshelf soon. I'm cramming all the manga I buy into any available place where as I usually have everything in alphabetical order. D= Not anymore...

Borders. <3 I adore them over Barnes and Noble. You can find yaoi/shonen ai series only if you shop online at Barnes and Noble. In the store, there is NONE to be found. I'm not even kidding. Every one of their stores is anti-yaoi.

This is why Borders makes my day amazing. No matter which one I go to, yaoi and shonen ai ahoy! There's a huge selection at the one by me too. >3

I also have far too much manga D:
The small bookshelves I have have been put away since we moved and they wouldn't be able to fit all of my books anyway (I keep buying more >w>;).
Not to mention that I read normal books too and have a few series D:
Soooo, to remedy this problem my dad is building bookshelves to put on my wall :D
Nice long bookshelves with tons of room -w-

I don't know what it is, maybe a mild case of OCD, but I have everything in alphabetical order.
My old Pokemon, Digimon, DBZ, Neopets and Yu-Gi-Oh! cards are all in alphabetical order.
They're even separated by type and element D:

I used to be a hardcore Barnes & Noble shopper, but that was because they were the only bookstore around.
I moved since and there's a Borders right by me.
I think it has a friendlier atmosphere, so I like it more.

Even if B & N is "anti-yaoi" they still have a pretty large selection of manga.
I like going there because they have older manga as opposed to Borders which usually only stocks up on newer more popular manga.

I hate how all the things I love are for 18+ people :[
I'm 17. 17
Seriously, my birthday is in July so I can't get awesome things by myself until then.
This also means, no awesome stuff for me at ACen >:c
Oddly enough, though, my dad will buy me yaoi and yuri stuff o_o
He just looks at the cover funny xD

I say that, if I'm able to draw it, write about it, think about it and not be a creep about it, I should be able to buy it >:v

~Go Go Procrasti-Rangers!~

#124 User is offline   jsieczkar 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 17116

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:56 AM

View PostKitsu-chan, on Apr 15 2010, 03:13 PM, said:

Fansubs are legal to own, illegal to sell. As long as you stick to private use, not selling them or charging like a movie theater, everything is ok... Until the series gets licensed. Then you need to shell out the cash & buy it or start watching what the company streams. That came directly from an FBI Agent who shops at my store.

That is completely incorrect fansubs are illegal to produce or upload. The series being lichened is not relevant as the United States honors all Japanese copyrights and vice versa via international treaty mainly the Berne Convention. Unless you are viewing the show via an approved source you are violating copyright laws. Ethically fansubs are a grey area, legally they are not and they sit in the same area as bootlegs.

CRIC Japanese Copyright Law
http://www.cric.or.j..._e/clj/clj.html
1: (CRIC, Chapter II, Section 1, Article 10)
2: (CRIC, Chapter I, Section 2, Article 6)
3: (CRIC, Chapter II, Section 3, Subsection 3, Article 21)
4: (CRIC, Chapter II, Section 3, Subsection 3, Article 23)
5: (CRIC, Chapter II, Section 3, Subsection 3, Article 26)
6: (CRIC, Chapter II, Section 3, Subsection 3, Article 26bis)
7: (CRIC, Chapter II, Section 3, Subsection 3, Article 27)
8: (CRIC, Chapter II, Section 3, Subsection 5, Article 30)

Title 17: United States Copyright Law
http://www.loc.gov/copyright/title17/
9: (Title 17, Chapter 1, Section 101)
10: (Title 17, Chapter 1, Section 104(B)(2))
11: (Title 17, Chapter 1, Section 107)
2008-2009 IRT - Callsign JR
2010 IRT Dispatch - Callsign JR
2011-Present Industry Relations Manager

#125 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 28448

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:47 AM

View Postjsieczkar, on Apr 16 2010, 08:56 AM, said:

That is completely incorrect fansubs are illegal to produce or upload. The series being lichened is not relevant as the United States honors all Japanese copyrights and vice versa via international treaty mainly the Berne Convention. Unless you are viewing the show via an approved source you are violating copyright laws. Ethically fansubs are a grey area, legally they are not and they sit in the same area as bootlegs.

CRIC Japanese Copyright Law
http://www.cric.or.j..._e/clj/clj.html
1: (CRIC, Chapter II, Section 1, Article 10)
2: (CRIC, Chapter I, Section 2, Article 6)
3: (CRIC, Chapter II, Section 3, Subsection 3, Article 21)
4: (CRIC, Chapter II, Section 3, Subsection 3, Article 23)
5: (CRIC, Chapter II, Section 3, Subsection 3, Article 26)
6: (CRIC, Chapter II, Section 3, Subsection 3, Article 26bis)
7: (CRIC, Chapter II, Section 3, Subsection 3, Article 27)
8: (CRIC, Chapter II, Section 3, Subsection 5, Article 30)

Title 17: United States Copyright Law
http://www.loc.gov/copyright/title17/
9: (Title 17, Chapter 1, Section 101)
10: (Title 17, Chapter 1, Section 104(B)(2))
11: (Title 17, Chapter 1, Section 107)

Then how is it that the corporations who produce anime know about sites like AnimeSuki but don't shut them down? I don't download so much anymore (honestly, I read more manga than I watch anime), but back when I did, I remember there was one series I watched where I went to go get the next episode, and the series had been removed, not because it had been licensed, but because the company that owned it had asked them too. If they really had a major problem with sights like Suki, wouldn't they just flat out shut them down?

Sites that don't take down their licensed material, I can totally understand. The only reason we should be even thinking about looking for fansubs is because we have no other way of getting them. AnimeSuki removes series from their database as soon as they get licensed.
Cosplay 2012: Mitsuki Saya (Black Cat), Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai)
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;

"A blank piece of paper is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God."
-Sidney Sheldon

#126 User is offline   jsieczkar 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:04 AM

View PostKaay-chan, on Apr 16 2010, 10:47 AM, said:

Then how is it that the corporations who produce anime know about sites like AnimeSuki but don't shut them down? I don't download so much anymore (honestly, I read more manga than I watch anime), but back when I did, I remember there was one series I watched where I went to go get the next episode, and the series had been removed, not because it had been licensed, but because the company that owned it had asked them too. If they really had a major problem with sights like Suki, wouldn't they just flat out shut them down?

Sites that don't take down their licensed material, I can totally understand. The only reason we should be even thinking about looking for fansubs is because we have no other way of getting them. AnimeSuki removes series from their database as soon as they get licensed.

AnimeSuki doe not host any torrents, they just link to sites that have them therefor are not doing anything illegal. One of the biggest issues with taking down many tracker sites and fansub groups is that they are cyber organizations, many don't use any real names for people and have no address. In many cases hunting down these groups is simply more costly then what shutting them down is worth. Many of the tracker sites are in nations that are not treaty members and will not go after the organizations.

#127 User is offline   june.h 

• Merchandise Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 387

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:40 AM

View PostMatt PNiewski, on Apr 15 2010, 11:35 AM, said:

The reason for the mark up is simply because of the target audience's willingness to pay for such things.

I don't believe that's the only reason actually.

If that's true, how are American CD's and DVD's able to discount their items so easily in America? Likewise, have you ever tried to buy an American DVD or CD in Japan? It sure isn't cheap.

Licensing anime from Japan isn't cheap. It certainly doesn't make sense that companies want to rip you off just because it's such a niche viewership and customer base; prices haven't changed much in the past couple years, so why did ADV, Geneon, Broccoli, and Central Park Media close their doors (well for the most part anyway)? If companies are struggling they'll work to cut costs some how; getting the mainstream market to buy anime is a far better viable option than try to squeeze from their existing market anyway. Think of this: random Joe Shmoe walks into Best Buy and wants a beat-em-up DVD. Sees a Dragonball Z DVD for $25. Turns around and sees The Matrix for $15. Which do you think he'll be more likely to buy if he didn't own either?

Now because most companies have other means of income, they can take a loss on DVD sales; after all, for big companies like Warner, Paramount, Disney, etc., sales #'s mean everything. They can always re-release the movie as a "Special Edition" or "Director's Cut" or something. American anime distributors and licensing companies have a lot less breathing room. They still need to pay the bills somehow but don't have the same chances and freedoms American film companies do.

Finally, it's not actually "mark up," so much that it's a discount. Every DVD, game, or book as a "list price," kind of like a MSRP. Big box companies will discount those items at a loss depending on statistics that show that the same customer will probably buy something else at full price, making up for that loss.

#128 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19670

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:53 AM

This little article here is a good read. It doesn't deal with anime, but game systems and piracy, and how much damage is actually being caused.

http://www.asahi.com...1004190412.html
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#129 User is offline   DaphHime 

• Registration
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 303

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:43 AM

I know it's been a few months since I last posted here. But something still baffles me. I've pretty much stopped watching fansubs all together now since sites like Crunchyroll and Funi's streaming website cropped up. Yet people still DL fansubs? Why? I can get things like region restrictions but other than that streaming has become more favorable to someone like me, who has very little money to spend on anime. Ads don't bother me, they last a minute at the most. That's less than commercials on TV! The quality has gotten a lot better and I'm not waiting ungodly long amounts of time for a torrent to finish so I can watch something I probably won't watch again and will probably wind up taking much needed harddrive space.

I know the subs on CR aren't the greatest, but I've seen worse fansubs. (YAY for text I can actually read!) Is there still some short of air to "Sticking it to the Man" that fansubs have? I don't get it.
Acen Registration Staff 2010-???
Poss. cosplays: Marie (Soul Eater), Ukraine (Hetalia), Anri (DRRR!!), usual Gintama stuff.

Currently watching Soul Eater, Hetaila, Gintama, Durarara!!
Currently playing World of Warcraft (Sarhime/Syirens/Daphime (all Horde) @ Ravencrest if you want to look me up. :) )

Twitter//Facebook//Livejournal (friends only, but feel free to add!)

#130 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:29 PM

View PostDaphHime, on Apr 24 2010, 10:43 AM, said:

I know it's been a few months since I last posted here. But something still baffles me. I've pretty much stopped watching fansubs all together now since sites like Crunchyroll and Funi's streaming website cropped up. Yet people still DL fansubs? Why? I can get things like region restrictions but other than that streaming has become more favorable to someone like me, who has very little money to spend on anime. Ads don't bother me, they last a minute at the most. That's less than commercials on TV! The quality has gotten a lot better and I'm not waiting ungodly long amounts of time for a torrent to finish so I can watch something I probably won't watch again and will probably wind up taking much needed harddrive space.

I know the subs on CR aren't the greatest, but I've seen worse fansubs. (YAY for text I can actually read!) Is there still some short of air to "Sticking it to the Man" that fansubs have? I don't get it.

I don't know about other people, but for me it's less of a "sticking it to the man" than an availability thing.
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;

-Sidney Sheldon

#131 User is offline   jsieczkar 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2010 - 02:30 PM

View PostDaphHime, on Apr 24 2010, 11:43 AM, said:

Part of it is sticking it to the man, there are a couple of groups that only fansub so that they can hurt the industry and it is their stated mission. I'm not sure if they are telling the truth or not, either way as a whole fansub ethics have slid along way from when I started making them. You also have people who are watching fansubs because they have always watched fansubs and don't want to change. The major reason for a show that is on CR or Funi to be watched fansubed instead is basically elitism. The idea that fansubs are superior with higher quality and better translations (in the view of people of don't speak Japanese) then the American industry could ever provide. As a whole die hard anime fans are elitist snobs, they watch anime but nothing from anywhere else because anime is superior then anything else. The store I now am part owner of sells comics, indie movies and shows, TTCG, RPGs and board games, the only group that regularly refuses to look at other products are the anime and manga fans. This is of course a generalization many fans are very diverse but the majority are very much so japanaholics.

#132 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2010 - 03:35 PM

View Postjsieczkar, on Apr 24 2010, 03:30 PM, said:

Part of it is sticking it to the man, there are a couple of groups that only fansub so that they can hurt the industry and it is their stated mission. I'm not sure if they are telling the truth or not, either way as a whole fansub ethics have slid along way from when I started making them. You also have people who are watching fansubs because they have always watched fansubs and don't want to change. The major reason for a show that is on CR or Funi to be watched fansubed instead is basically elitism. The idea that fansubs are superior with higher quality and better translations (in the view of people of don't speak Japanese) then the American industry could ever provide. As a whole die hard anime fans are elitist snobs, they watch anime but nothing from anywhere else because anime is superior then anything else. The store I now am part owner of sells comics, indie movies and shows, TTCG, RPGs and board games, the only group that regularly refuses to look at other products are the anime and manga fans. This is of course a generalization many fans are very diverse but the majority are very much so japanaholics.

*sigh* I honestly kinda resent anime fans like that. They give the rest of us a bad name. <_< I consider myself to be a fairly hardcore anime fan, but I still like plenty of stuff that isn't anime.

-Sidney Sheldon

#133 User is offline   Kitsu-chan 

• 2+2 = 5
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 6190
  • Location:Hiding from my Sewing machine. Shh... Don't tell it I'm under the bed.

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:27 PM

View PostDaphHime, on Apr 24 2010, 10:43 AM, said:

In my case it my internet provider. I've got HughesNet & have a download allowance of 625MB per 24hrs. Streaming sites tend to burn through my allowance faster than downloads, mainly because of the buffer & other things I'm not sure of.

If I go over 625MB in 24hrs, my internet speeds are drastically reduced for 24hrs. I've had times while my speed was reduced where it took the forums 5 minutes to load when I clicked on a thread. When I say drastically reduced, I mean it drops from between 300 to 400Kb/second (depends on the wheather since it's satellite internet) to 5Kb/seconds.

I seriously wish we had other internet options where I am. It's either HughesNet, CyberLink Broadcasting which is the same speed for 3 times the price, or dial-up.
Resident Ladyboy of the ACen Forums

Sadly won't be attending ACen 2012. So I'll be taking my cosplay up a notch for 2013.

#134 User is offline   Ohki 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8930

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:03 PM

View PostDaphHime, on Apr 24 2010, 03:43 PM, said:

I don't use Crunchyroll, FUNi's streaming service, etc at all. It has nothing to do with "sticking it to the man" or anything of the sort, though. I have no patience for streaming. I can't stand watching much of anything streaming if it's longer than 10 minutes. I have no clue what about it makes me so antsy, but it does. Not everything gets streamed by Crunchyroll or FUNi, either. Also, if my internet goes out, which happens every so often, I want to be able to watch whatever I feel like that I've been watching. If it's on my hard drive, the internet being down is a non-issue, but if I'm watching it streaming, then it's a huge issue. Finally, I'm really slow at watching anime, and the legal streams don't stay up forever.
South Korea likes breasts.
Ukraine has breasts.
She has them in spades.
If South Korea and Ukraine were to hook up...
Then South Korea would never have a shortage of breasts ever again.

#135 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7901

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:12 PM

There is still an availability issue. Between Funi and CR yes you get a lot of titles, but you don't get all of them. Until we can get them all, there'll be (ethical) fansubs out there.
2012 Cosplay Plans - Fujiwara no Mokou (Touhou)
Visit my MAL and let me know you're from the forums~

#136 User is offline   mmy-sama 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 3465

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:44 AM

View PostDaphHime, on Apr 24 2010, 04:43 PM, said:

With my broadband connection, video streaming in standard definition typically takes at least twice as long as the video being streamed. I still watch videos on hulu, but it's really annoying to have to take a good long break after every episode. At least with bittorent, I have things downloading all the time, long before I need to watch them so they are always ready. Now, hard drive space is always an issue, but then again, hard drives are pretty cheap these days. Still, in doing the math, it could easily be cheaper to subscribe to crunchy roll than to save every episode on two different external hard drives. But, one can always delete old files to make room. Still crunchy roll sounds like a great idea, definitely something I will look into when I enter the 21st century and get a 10mps+ broadband connection. Until then, I have plenty of hard drive space and very little money.

Some people just prefer animesuki.

I've never like the idea of monthly subscriptions. What about the months in which I don't use it?
Anonymous died for your signs.

#137 User is offline   skyrune83 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 29775

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:04 PM

Wow, nice to see this forum resurrected, seemingly out of nowhere! :P

View PostDark Spellmaster, on Apr 15 2010, 07:49 PM, said:

We live in a "Gimmie it now" time period, where people can't wait to get something. So once they have what they want, a portion of them, not all, will go and just pass by buying the anime.

This is exactly the issue I was having last year with Soul Eater (and Hetalia, sort of) - so many people were impatient for a US release that they start expressing their fandom for shows that I've never even heard of yet. When you look at magazines and other "legit" news sources, none of them even mentioned Soul Eater until just this year, after the DVDs were released. It's impossible to go to anime conventions and recognize everyone in cosplay because so many people cosplay things from series which haven't even been released yet. Isn't the whole point of cosplay for other people to recognize you and relate to a series/character?

But anyway, I just wanted to say, to anyone who thinks DVDs and manga are too expensive, go to www.rightstuf.com. (Note: I am not endorsing it, nor affiliated with it). Seriously, you can get entire series for less than $20! They have huge discounts on items, and they rotate through a schedule of sales based on publisher - their prices are on par with Amazon's, except you KNOW you will get the licensed item here. There is no fear of bootlegs. It is also the best place to buy manga in bulk at the best price. If you wanted to buy O-Parts Hunter Vols 1-10, you would wait for a Viz sale, and get all 10 volumes for 33% off, plus free shipping, plus an additional 7% off if you're a member of the GotAnime? Club. Again, not promoting them, but it's ridiculous to overpay elsewhere. Seriously, just this weekend, at Anime St. Louis, a dealer was selling Comic Party for $50, when, on Rightstuf RIGHT NOW, you can get the series for $15. And it's still legit! Did I mention you don't even need to drive to a store?

As far as which DVDs I choose to buy, I buy based on 3 things: 1.) How much do I love the series? 2.) Are they offering a compact DVD collection that can fit on my limited shelf space (since I live in friggin no-room-to-breathe Chicago), 3.) Are they charging $30 for 26 episodes or $80?

I can see why people would prefer to download instead of using legal streaming. The biggest issue I run into with streaming is: I hear of Series X. I want to see Series X. I check Site A. Not there. I check Site B. Not there. I check Site C. It's there, but the site requires money. I check Site D, it's there, but oops, that's the illegal streaming site that fell through the cracks somehow! But overall, I have to say, I fully support online streaming - it's much more efficient and cost effective than DVDs, even though quality may lack (which personally, I'm not a hi-def buff).

And to those who said they prefer reading manga in book form over electronic form, I'm with you 100%. :thumbup: I prefer reading manga on paper because:
1.) No annoying ads or popups to deal with if it's from a place like mangafox.
2.) I already spend most of my life staring at a computer screen anyway (it's my job).
3.) It looks nice on the shelf, fun to sort!
4.) It gives me something to read on the go, without having to haul along a laptop.

This post has been edited by skyrune83: 27 April 2010 - 12:09 PM

www.astroth.com
www.ironpawn.com

You may know me as:
Dave Strider: Homestuck
Red Mage: Final Fantasy
Matsushita: Angel Beats
Lil' Slugger (Shounen Bat): Paranoia Agent
J.P. (Junpei): Digimon Frontier

#138 User is offline   Ishoku Osero 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 8641

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:07 PM

You should join an anime/manga company, skyrune. Or at least go around lecturing about this on street corners or something... these are things people need to hear. And this is coming from someone who does watch the stuff before it's out here, whether it be on CR or otherwise, depending on how I have to get it.

I'm so sick of working at a bookstore and seeing kids lounging around my manga section all day, just reading the stuff and never buying it. I go up to them and say 'that's a good series, but you should look into purchasing it if you like it enough to be on xx volume!', and then I'll give them the lecture about it. I'm getting really sick of buying series and then having the company go under (like with Broccoli... Kamui was SO CLOSE to being finished, that SUCKED ) because people are too cheap to buy the things.

Also, this stuff ISN'T fun to sort. D: But that could just be because I ran out of shelves (and room for more shelves) many moons ago and all my manga, anime and merch are piling up all over the floor and wherever else I can find room. Sometimes I'm not even sure if I have something or not anymore because it's buried so deep in a pile that's piles behind the ones I can actually see. oTL

#139 User is offline   skyrune83 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:31 PM

View PostIshoku Osero, on Apr 27 2010, 04:07 PM, said:

You should join an anime/manga company, skyrune. Or at least go around lecturing about this on street corners or something... these are things people need to hear. And this is coming from someone who does watch the stuff before it's out here, whether it be on CR or otherwise, depending on how I have to get it.

LOL, thanks. Wish I could join one... -_-

I'm so sick of working at a bookstore and seeing kids lounging around my manga section all day, just reading the stuff and never buying it. I go up to them and say 'that's a good series, but you should look into purchasing it if you like it enough to be on xx volume!', and then I'll give them the lecture about it. I'm getting really sick of buying series and then having the company go under (like with Broccoli... Kamui was SO CLOSE to being finished, that SUCKED ) because people are too cheap to buy the things.

To be honest, I almost never buy from the bookstore - I only go to the bookstore to browse. But before you throw rocks and Pocky at me, I will defend myself by saying I do not READ the manga - I skim through the summaries and the art and jot down the title to research later online. It's amazing just how many lesser known manga there are out there that I'd never hear about if I didn't go to a bookstore.

Also, this stuff ISN'T fun to sort. D: But that could just be because I ran out of shelves (and room for more shelves) many moons ago and all my manga, anime and merch are piling up all over the floor and wherever else I can find room. Sometimes I'm not even sure if I have something or not anymore because it's buried so deep in a pile that's piles behind the ones I can actually see. oTL

Ikea works wonders for manga shelves.
http://www.ikea.com/...oducts/40102105

Also, what I do with extra unwanted manga is sell it at the Nominoichi at Anime North in Toronto. It's an event they have where you can buy a table and sell any anime stuff for a 2 hour event. It's a great way to earn money and free up shelf space! Can't make it to Canada? Voice your opinions to the Acen folks, and maybe they can get us our own Sell-a-thon! :clap:
www.astroth.com
www.ironpawn.com

You may know me as:

#140 User is offline   Ishoku Osero 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:25 PM

Well, as long as you're buying them and not sitting on the floor in front of the bookshelves reading volume 17 of *insert long manga here *, then I'm fine, LOL.

Yeah, it'd work if I had room for the shelving, lol. I'm completely out of space. And thanks for the selling tip, but I'm a collector and therefore won't be selling any part of my collection anytime in the near future. =P It doesn't matter if I'm jumping over piles of books or weaving around the stacks, I'll be fine. <3

#141 User is offline   Kitsu-chan 

• 2+2 = 5
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Location:Hiding from my Sewing machine. Shh... Don't tell it I'm under the bed.

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:34 PM

View Postskyrune83, on Apr 27 2010, 04:31 PM, said:

Ikea works wonders for manga shelves.
http://www.ikea.com/...oducts/40102105

Wow... People actually pay $60 for that? I bought something similar to that, it's basically 2 of those side-by-side for $50 at Mejer. It's held together great for the 6months I've had it so far & it's actually overfilled.

Sadly won't be attending ACen 2012. So I'll be taking my cosplay up a notch for 2013.

#142 User is offline   Ishoku Osero 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:41 PM

View PostKitsu-chan, on Apr 27 2010, 06:34 PM, said:

Wow... People actually pay $60 for that? I bought something similar to that, it's basically 2 of those side-by-side for $50 at Mejer. It's held together great for the 6months I've had it so far & it's actually overfilled.

A lot of people seem to buy from Ikea. All over the place on other peoples' figure blogs, they're always doting on those detolf shelves for their figures and stuff. ^^; All my shelving has been pretty cheap, I can't fathom spending a lot of money on that sort of thing... it's not the shelf that you're collecting, after all.

#143 User is offline   Kitsu-chan 

• 2+2 = 5
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:54 PM

View PostIshoku Osero, on Apr 27 2010, 06:41 PM, said:

A lot of people seem to buy from Ikea. All over the place on other peoples' figure blogs, they're always doting on those detolf shelves for their figures and stuff. ^^; All my shelving has been pretty cheap, I can't fathom spending a lot of money on that sort of thing... it's not the shelf that you're collecting, after all.

Yeah, I have family that used to swear by Ikea til they saw my large bookcase & found I paid less for it. Most of my shelving has been cheap as well. I think $30 for the 3-shelf bookcase I have upstair, $15 for the small 2-shelf by my recliner. The $50 for my large bookcase is the most I've spent for any shelving.

Hopefully I'll get the house I made an offer on & can have my library, I really need more bookcases & don't have room where I'm at right now. The attached 1.5 car garage already has been turned into a Four Seasons room, so all I need to do is put in wall-to-wall bookcases.

#144 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9607

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:41 PM

These days I don't watch that much anime, so most of what I see is on sites like crunchyroll, ANN videos, or Funimation's video site.

I also get together with some friends twice a month to watch DVDs of series we have (we watch through two series at a time, 3 episodes of each series per meeting).

I remember paying around $120 for the 13 episode Tenchi Muyo boxset back in the day, so it's good for the fans that anime is a bit less expensive these days...

I don't buy DVDs much anymore. The last series I got was Genshiken on single disks.

#145 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7901

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:50 PM

View PostIshoku Osero, on Apr 27 2010, 06:41 PM, said:

Oi! The Detolf is a very nice case. XD I put the pictures of mine up in the figure thread, and I luff my Detolf. Considering that I've got hundreds, if not thousands of dollars worth of figures on display in the case, $60 is a drop in the bucket. However, $60 for that book shelf, meh, particle board <<<< glass.
2012 Cosplay Plans - Fujiwara no Mokou (Touhou)
Visit my MAL and let me know you're from the forums~

#146 User is offline   ImNewHere 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 18485

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:08 PM

After reading this I have to say when I talk to people who say they are hard core anime fans who have watched 200 full series, then I find out they only own one or two, and the rest is on their hard drive I'll tell them right off they are NOT an anime fan. I know someone who is like that, and most of the stuff they have downloaded is licensed here and either is or has been available in the US. I tell them they, and others like them are the reason so many anime companies have gone under.

I also occasionally hear the whole subbed vs dubbed argument. Sorry, that crap does not cut it since on a DVD you get both. It may have been something back in the days of crap dubbing and VHS (Sailor Moon anyone?) but not any more. The other thing I hear alot from these people who don't speak Japanese is that the fansubs are better than what the anime companies dub. BS on that. My reply is if they can speak Japanese that get a region free player and order it from Japan. It's amazing how people justify being cheap. Do I download fansubs? Yeah, I do, but when the series comes out here I normally buy it if I liked what I downloaded. Right now I have over 500 anime DVDs, and I'll keep getting more.

The other thing that blows me away is when I am working the Media Blasters booth at and anime con and someone walks up with his buddies and starts to browse, then has an idiot friend tell him not to get xxxxxx series because he already downloaded it. HELLO! Media Blasters is the ones who licensed that series! They are Anime Works (and Kitty for all you porn hentai people out there). That makes me want to get a phone number, email address, and physical address when I hear that. Media Blasters had to push back the release dates on a bunch of stuff and lay off 1/4 of it's people this year. Sure, the crap economy has something to do with it, but if people would BUY some of their stuff rather than download it all then maybe that would not have happened! Besides, it's really the cheapest stuff out there.

Well, there's my feelings on it. I'll see you guys at the Media Blasters table in the dealer room! Buy some stuff and support your fandom.

This post has been edited by ImNewHere: 27 April 2010 - 08:09 PM

For ACen 2012 pics go to http://www.scottyspot.com/acen2012.htm. If you want a full size pic PM me with an email address and tell me which one you would like.

I'm the Emperor of the Left Half of the Universe. I also have cool non-con pics here ---> http://voice0freason...t.com/gallery/?

I need a girlfriend.... No, really.

#147 User is offline   Ishoku Osero 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:22 PM

View Postwrexness, on Apr 27 2010, 08:50 PM, said:

Oi! The Detolf is a very nice case. XD I put the pictures of mine up in the figure thread, and I luff my Detolf. Considering that I've got hundreds, if not thousands of dollars worth of figures on display in the case, $60 is a drop in the bucket. However, $60 for that book shelf, meh, particle board <<<< glass.

60 dollars is the same price as the Azunyan figure I just pre-ordered. o:
I'd rather get a figure than a shelving case. >.> The shelves I have my figures on were only 5 bucks a piece. Since I dust my figures once every other week anyways, I don't really feel the need to put them behind glass. I like looking at them out in the open. <3 To each is own, though, I suppose. >.>

#148 User is offline   skyrune83 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:23 PM

View PostImNewHere, on Apr 27 2010, 09:08 PM, said:

The other thing that blows me away is when I am working the Media Blasters booth at and anime con and someone walks up with his buddies and starts to browse, then has an idiot friend tell him not to get xxxxxx series because he already downloaded it. HELLO! Media Blasters is the ones who licensed that series! They are Anime Works (and Kitty for all you porn hentai people out there). That makes me want to get a phone number, email address, and physical address when I hear that. Media Blasters had to push back the release dates on a bunch of stuff and lay off 1/4 of it's people this year. Sure, the crap economy has something to do with it, but if people would BUY some of their stuff rather than download it all then maybe that would not have happened! Besides, it's really the cheapest stuff out there.

Wow, what dumb dumb people, saying that right in front of the booth... Just to back you up, yes, Media Blasters DOES have some incredible deals these days on series. And I thank you and support you. :)
www.astroth.com
www.ironpawn.com

You may know me as:

#149 User is offline   Ohki 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8930

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:19 PM

@ImNewHere: If it's any consolation, most of the anime I've been buying lately is Media Blasters stuff. It's still sad that people use that logic, though, especially against Media Blasters. They put out really good quality stuff.

re; Ikea shelving: That bookshelf looked pretty pitiful, sure, but they do have nice stuff, and IMO a Detolf is completely worth it. A display case is practically a must-have for anyone with a good-sized figure collection. Keeping them in their boxes makes them take up even more room than necessary, but just having them out on non-covered shelves is insane, at least if the room you keep them in is anything like mine; a dust magnet. But have you seen the prices on other display cases? I couldn't find any besides the Detolf for anything less than $200.

If you're okay with dusting your collection every week, or stacking boxes, I suppose the $60 would be a bit much, though.
South Korea likes breasts.
Ukraine has breasts.
She has them in spades.
If South Korea and Ukraine were to hook up...
Then South Korea would never have a shortage of breasts ever again.

#150 User is offline   jsieczkar 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:33 PM

View PostOhki, on Apr 28 2010, 12:19 AM, said:

@ImNewHere: If it's any consolation, most of the anime I've been buying lately is Media Blasters stuff. It's still sad that people use that logic, though, especially against Media Blasters. They put out really good quality stuff.

re; Ikea shelving: That bookshelf looked pretty pitiful, sure, but they do have nice stuff, and IMO a Detolf is completely worth it. A display case is practically a must-have for anyone with a good-sized figure collection. Keeping them in their boxes makes them take up even more room than necessary, but just having them out on non-covered shelves is insane, at least if the room you keep them in is anything like mine; a dust magnet. But have you seen the prices on other display cases? I couldn't find any besides the Detolf for anything less than $200.

If you're okay with dusting your collection every week, or stacking boxes, I suppose the $60 would be a bit much, though.

I would recommend buying any Media Blasters titles now they are in the same boat that CPM was in a few years ago and it i unlikely that they will recover with out any outside investment.

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users