• This topic is locked

Main Programming Feedback For Dances and Events. Merged topics

#31 User is offline   okaonos 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 25376

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:29 AM

Main programming was a mess this year. Most, if not everything, started or ran late. Lines were horrifically long and trailed outside, blocking doors and walkways. The events themselves were fine. However, getting into the event was a whole different story.
# of ACen's attended: 9
Hotel: Hyatt
Cosplay: Rukia (Bleach) - 100%

~Spam Squad~

#32 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6130

Posted 18 May 2009 - 05:34 PM

View Postokaonos, on May 18 2009, 11:29 AM, said:

Main programming was a mess this year. Most, if not everything, started or ran late. Lines were horrifically long and trailed outside, blocking doors and walkways. The events themselves were fine. However, getting into the event was a whole different story.

I'll address this separately from my replies to the soap bubble.

We in Main try our absolute hardest to get things running on time. Gendo runs a tight ship and we ADHs are ordered to make things run as much on time as physically possible, and when we run over to do what we need to, to make us get back on schedule.

Most delays are tech related, and something we can't really plan for. We try to have adequate time between large events to reset the room, redo tech stuff, etc. However, there are certain things we are not allowed to do, because of unions. One example is move the chairs inside the Grand Ballrooms where MP Alpha is located.

The hotel people are all really great, honestly. They work hard for us, and with us to make the best events we can possible for you the attendees. However, sometimes the manpower needed to do stuff isn't always available at the exact time, or some other problems arise.

With tech things, that can be a lot of stuff. Our tech crew we have right now is simply *amazing*, and our sound engineers are some of the best I have every personally met, and this is coming from a fellow sound engineer. Other things, may be that the band for example may not be happy with certain things last minute, or their requests, while we do our utmost best to fulfill them, may take extra time to accomplish if we weren't informed ahead of time.

The lines I can't speak much for this year, as I have said before, I was in charge of Beta and the groove and not of alpha like last year. What I can tell you, is that none of us like to have large lines of people anywhere. We try to put people where we can, and where we are allowed to not break rules of the hotel, or fire code. IRT is a bit more in charge of line control than we in Main Programming are. I know that at Beta I dictated how lines were and were dealt with a majority of time, but I am not about to tell Wedge or another senior IRT people that I know more about crowd control than they do - they have more experience than I in that.

None of this is to point blame at anyone, as no one is solely responsible for any sort of delays. We are all a team, and we all work together. I just wish to stress how difficult it can sometimes be to run perfectly on schedule, and that there will always be things you can never truly expect to happen (cables suddenly dying for example) nor plan for. We really do the absolute best we can.

I always invite anyone to come gopher for main programming for a short time. I think you will have a new appreciation for the work we do, and may view things a bit differently once you see how things are behind the scenes.
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2007 - Present - Forums Manager
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users