Anime Central Forums: Hallway Contest Winners, Changes For '10 And Feedback Thread - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Hallway Contest Winners, Changes For '10 And Feedback Thread I'm All Ears

#1 User is offline   ThatOneChick 

• Masquerade ADH
  • PipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 2371

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:58 PM

Another year, another successful Hallway Contest!

Thank you to everyone that entered this year. Special thank you to my judges as well. First off, here were the winners from this year's Hallway Contest. I'm leaving out names since I do not know how the winners wish to be credited.

Judges Awards

Erika Door's judges award:
Momma from The Last Unicorn

Oshi's judges award:
Hugo from Suikoden III

Flispter's judges award:
Richter Belmont and Maria Renard from Castlevania Symphony of the Night

Rising Star Award:
Link from The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess

General Awards

Best Character Likeness:
Sergeant Hatred from The Venture Bros

Best Prop:
Zoro from One Piece

Best Individual:
Princess Zelda from The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess

Best Group:
Sackboy and Popit Menu from LittleBigPlanet

I have already started discussing and restructuring the Hallway Contest. We wanted to make sure that this event was going to be successful before we wanted to implement any major changes.

The Awards

These are changing a lot. The awards are now getting a tier system and two of the awards will be available on separate days. As it stands, the new awards will look like this:

Best Individual Novice (Friday and Saturday)
Best Individual Journeyman (Friday and Saturday)
Best Group Novice (Friday and Saturday)
Best Group Journeyman (Friday and Saturday)
Three judges awards (One a piece for both days)
Rising Star (One for both days)
Best Child (One for both days and only if a minimum of three compete)
Best American Based Cosplay (One for both days)
and finally The Thriftiness Award (Closet Cosplay)

The Rising Star Award goes to the individual I see as being the person with the highest amount of potential with limited experience. The Thrift Award will be mostly based off of Character Likeness and the best ability at using what is available. Yes, digging through your closet is a way to enter in this, but the way you use the things at your immediate disposal will be how you are judges. Creativity is the biggest key for this award.

The way you enter will still be the same. Arrive at the hours of operation, fill out a form, then get judged on the spot.

YOU CANNOT COMPETE IN THE MASQUERADE WITH THE COSTUME YOU ENTER INTO THE HALLWAY. THIS IS A MAJOR RULE. IF YOU BREAK IT, YOU WILL HAVE TO DEAL WITH ME. I GO TO BOTH EVENTS.

Since there was a lot of confusion with this, this year, I am adding an award for American Based video games, movies and cartoons. But there is only one award for this. Keep this in mind.

THIS WILL BE A REQUIREMENT FOR NEXT YEAR. YOU HAVE A YEAR TO PREPARE FOR THIS. YOU MUST BRING AT LEAST ONE PROGRESS PHOTO (unless you are competing for the Thrift award) AND YOU MUST BRING A REFERENCE PHOTO. NO IF, ANDS OR BUTS.

You have been given MAJOR advance. You do not bring these two things, you will not be allowed to enter. It can be on your camera, cell phone, laptop, iPhone, I don't care, but it MUST be available for the judges to look at.

The new rules will be posted a few months before the convention, but now is the time to voice any questions, concerns, comments or suggestions. Thank you everyone for helping to make this event work. There are big plans for the Masquerade department in general next year and I can't wait to be able to share it all with you.

Your Hallway Contest Master,
Jessie
Don't forget the rabies. Everything taste better with rabies. YAY rabies!

JessiePridemore.com Cosplay deviantART

#2 User is offline   Angel of Death 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 5455

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:06 PM

First off: Thank you Jessie for running the show. And thank you to the judges who were very nice. It appears that you all had a hard time with judging, there were so many great costumes.

Second: Congrats to all the winners, you all looked great!

I like the changes you are going to implement. I very much approve of the progress photo(s). It is such a help to the judges I'm sure.

I'm guessing not, but is there any way we can get critiques for our costumes. Or just general ideas of stuff to pay more attention to in future cosplays? I'm not sure you guys really took any notes, at least for the group of people I was with. You guys got distracted by the real weight Skuld hammer...lol Trying to play real life whack-a-mole :lol:

Anyways, it was great fun, and I can wait to see any of the staff/judges at other cons this year, and back again at ACEN next year. And again thank you fto all the staff and judges, your efforts do not go unappreciated. :heart:

PS: Toradora Rocks!
'09 Cosplays
Justin - Soul Eater (planning)
Walter - Hellsing - 100% (retiring?)
Death the Kid - Soul Eater - 100% (2 versions see my cosplay profile)
Keiichi Morisato - Ah! My Goddess - 100%

My Cosplay Profile

#3 User is offline   ThatOneChick 

• Masquerade ADH
  • PipPip

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:28 PM

View PostAngel of Death, on May 13 2009, 01:06 AM, said:

First off: Thank you Jessie for running the show. And thank you to the judges who were very nice. It appears that you all had a hard time with judging, there were so many great costumes.

Second: Congrats to all the winners, you all looked great!

I like the changes you are going to implement. I very much approve of the progress photo(s). It is such a help to the judges I'm sure.

I'm guessing not, but is there any way we can get critiques for our costumes. Or just general ideas of stuff to pay more attention to in future cosplays? I'm not sure you guys really took any notes, at least for the group of people I was with. You guys got distracted by the real weight Skuld hammer...lol Trying to play real life whack-a-mole :lol:

Anyways, it was great fun, and I can wait to see any of the staff/judges at other cons this year, and back again at ACEN next year. And again thank you fto all the staff and judges, your efforts do not go unappreciated. :heart:

PS: Toradora Rocks!

You guys were good sports and it's always nice to meet more Toradora! fans :3

As far as the critiques go, they love to give them. I think on the sheet next year I'll have a small box to check if you would like a formal critique since a lot of people are sensitive and do not wish to get critiques, the judges do not want to step on any toes. This way, it lets them know you want them to give you one.

They also had an INCREDIBLY hard time choosing winners.

#4 User is offline   Valencia Crowe 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 17679

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:30 PM

View PostThatOneChick, on May 13 2009, 12:28 AM, said:

As far as the critiques go, they love to give them. I think on the sheet next year I'll have a small box to check if you would like a formal critique since a lot of people are sensitive and do not wish to get critiques, the judges do not want to step on any toes. This way, it lets them know you want them to give you one.

I like that idea. I am sensitive to critiques, so it would be nice to have that option. ><
"Nothing good can ever come from staying with normal people" -Harry MacDougal

#5 User is offline   Angel of Death 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 5455

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:53 PM

View PostThatOneChick, on May 13 2009, 12:28 AM, said:

Well i for one would love any and all critiques. you can't improve if you never learn. Constructive criticism is what i could use to make my cosplays better. But I would guess since the con has passed it would be hard to do so now, without notes from the judging that took place this year. Also I would consider my cosplay this year was more of a closet cosplay. I really only had to do some modifications, and make all the props...see my avatar, that was what I wore. But if anyone remembers it, and want to critique it, please do.

Again thanks for the great event.
'09 Cosplays
Justin - Soul Eater (planning)
Walter - Hellsing - 100% (retiring?)
Death the Kid - Soul Eater - 100% (2 versions see my cosplay profile)
Keiichi Morisato - Ah! My Goddess - 100%

My Cosplay Profile

#6 User is offline   ninjaxllama 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 17215

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:38 AM

Did the judges formally write things down?
I just want to know how our group did.
We were the Super Mario villains. I know we lost, but I wish there was some way to see the judges comments or something...

Oh and King Boo ftw. :)
[color="#9932CC"]
ACen 2011 cosplay: Kakashi and Hiro from Gravitation
ACen 2012 cosplay: Hotohori from Fushigi Yugi, Kakashi, Tseng from ff7
ACen 2013 cosplay: Professor Chaos from South Park, Raven from Teen Titans, and Scott Pilgrim
ACen 2014 cosplay: Butters from South Park Stick of Truth, Him from Powerpuff Girls, and Scott Pilgrim
I am the Forum Llama...Beware my cute and fuzzy exterior

#7 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:14 AM

I was going to enter it this year but I heard that the character likeness was thrown out and I am reallllly good in that category XD

But I'm definitely doing it next year!!
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#8 User is offline   LiberaFatali 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 22723

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:22 AM

so if youre that taiga girl,

(i was with that nia from gurren lagann.)

i was wondering if you uploaded the pictures you took from your super nice camera! haha
Miyavi 08
Simon - TTGL 09

durarararararararararrrarararereresaresfvsdgsdvgsdvfd

#9 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 13 May 2009 - 01:01 PM

I am thinking of entering next year.
I was going to try for this year but I didn't meet the qualifications.

next year I already have two ideas as for what to enter as.

Question time!

1 - when we enter do we have to say what category we're entering under?
2 - if so can we enter under several categories? (like character likeness and best individual novice?)
3 - what do you want to see in the progress picture? i normally take one with everything on so i can see how things fit and what not? Do you want to see like the sewing or gluing or what not?

That's all! Thanks!
A-Cen 2015: Sailor Luna (PGSM) / Fish Mooney (Gotham TV Series) / Anthy (Revolutionary Girl Utena) / Fluttershy (My Little Pony: FIM)

(No Photos)A-cen 2014: Angewomon (Digimon) //// Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) //// Hikaru (Angelic Layer)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#10 User is offline   Tokoz 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 18712

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:12 PM

Thank you for running the hall contest. It was fun to see everyone's costumes and talk about mine.

I, for one, would really appreciate the option for critiques. Not-Gwen was my first costume and I know it had more issues than the ones I found. There is a dearth of cosplayers in my area, and my friends, super-nice people that they are, won't tell me when something I do looks crummy. <_< Critiques would help out a lot!

This post has been edited by Tokoz: 13 May 2009 - 03:13 PM

#11 User is offline   omni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 5659

Posted 14 May 2009 - 04:30 PM

Question (and sorry if it has been asked/answered already, didn't read through.)

What age is the children's category going to be cut off at?
Acen 2011 cosplays

Hungary: Hetalia
Fairy Tail
One Piece

#12 User is offline   Jam-Kiske 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 10878

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:07 PM

How many people would be the maximum for a group?
Oops can't afford to go to ACEN anymore! >:

#13 User is offline   ThatOneChick 

• Masquerade ADH
  • PipPip

Posted 16 May 2009 - 11:41 AM

View Postninjaxllama, on May 13 2009, 12:38 PM, said:

Did the judges formally write things down?
I just want to know how our group did.
We were the Super Mario villains. I know we lost, but I wish there was some way to see the judges comments or something...

Oh and King Boo ftw. :)

They did. They had notebooks to write notes down on. Most of the writing was done in between contestants.

I wasn't judging when you guys came in, so I cannot speak for them, I will try to get one of the judges in here.

View PostSa-chan, on May 13 2009, 01:14 PM, said:

I was going to enter it this year but I heard that the character likeness was thrown out and I am reallllly good in that category XD

But I'm definitely doing it next year!!

To be honest, we weren't supposed to have it, but when I went to find my awards, it was there.

View PostLiberaFatali, on May 13 2009, 01:22 PM, said:

so if youre that taiga girl,

(i was with that nia from gurren lagann.)

i was wondering if you uploaded the pictures you took from your super nice camera! haha

Unfortunately, my super nice camera was not used to her abilities this weekend. The photos I took were strictly, and ashamed to say, not reallly worth posting.

View PostCrimsonAnime, on May 13 2009, 03:01 PM, said:

I am thinking of entering next year.

1 - when we enter do we have to say what category we're entering under?
2 - if so can we enter under several categories? (like character likeness and best individual novice?)
3 - what do you want to see in the progress picture? i normally take one with everything on so i can see how things fit and what not? Do you want to see like the sewing or gluing or what not?

That's all! Thanks!

1. No
2. See above since this question is now irrelevant.
3. Anything and everything.

View PostTokoz, on May 13 2009, 05:12 PM, said:

Thank you for running the hall contest. It was fun to see everyone's costumes and talk about mine.

I, for one, would really appreciate the option for critiques. Not-Gwen was my first costume and I know it had more issues than the ones I found. There is a dearth of cosplayers in my area, and my friends, super-nice people that they are, won't tell me when something I do looks crummy. <_< Critiques would help out a lot!

Hey, Not Gwen! Thanks a lot :3 I'll be sure to implement a critique system next year.

View Postomnichild, on May 14 2009, 06:30 PM, said:

Question (and sorry if it has been asked/answered already, didn't read through.)

What age is the children's category going to be cut off at?

Haven't decided.

View PostJam-Kiske, on May 14 2009, 07:07 PM, said:

How many people would be the maximum for a group?

Never had to put a cap on it, how many did you have in mind?

#14 User is offline   Jam-Kiske 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 10878

Posted 16 May 2009 - 11:51 AM

View PostThatOneChick, on May 16 2009, 12:41 PM, said:

Never had to put a cap on it, how many did you have in mind?

Dunno.
We were just talking about entering a Touhou group... I'll let you know if the group starts to somehow get huge... not too likely though.
Oops can't afford to go to ACEN anymore! >:

#15 User is offline   ThatOneChick 

• Masquerade ADH
  • PipPip

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:01 PM

View PostJam-Kiske, on May 16 2009, 01:51 PM, said:

Dunno.
We were just talking about entering a Touhou group... I'll let you know if the group starts to somehow get huge... not too likely though.

As long as you don't go crazy, should be fine. Just remember Quality over Quantity. Just because you have a large group doesn't mean you are guaranteed to win and not everyone in the group has to compete.

#16 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:11 PM

I want to enter my Trish cosplay, all but one part was bought. I made the choker. Does that mean I can't enter it or is it ok that one thing wasn't bought?
ACen '14 Cosplay
Fem!Gundam Tanaka [Super Dangan Ronpa 2] [100%]
ACen forum's number one poster and Disney nut.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#17 User is offline   ThatOneChick 

• Masquerade ADH
  • PipPip

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:23 PM

View PostLina, on May 16 2009, 03:11 PM, said:

I want to enter my Trish cosplay, all but one part was bought. I made the choker. Does that mean I can't enter it or is it ok that one thing wasn't bought?

Well only the Closet Cosplay category is for people who didn't make their costumes.

#18 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2009 - 02:09 PM

View PostThatOneChick, on May 16 2009, 02:23 PM, said:

Well only the Closet Cosplay category is for people who didn't make their costumes.

Now I have to go out and buy a choker since the choker is the only thing that wasn't bought. Oh well. I have plenty of time. ><
ACen '14 Cosplay

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#19 User is offline   ThatOneChick 

• Masquerade ADH
  • PipPip

Posted 16 May 2009 - 03:08 PM

View PostLina, on May 16 2009, 04:09 PM, said:

Now I have to go out and buy a choker since the choker is the only thing that wasn't bought. Oh well. I have plenty of time. ><

"Closet Cosplay" doesn't mean you can't make anything. You can enter with the choker being made. the point of this category is to show the thriftiness side of cosplay.

#20 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2009 - 03:23 PM

View PostThatOneChick, on May 16 2009, 04:08 PM, said:

"Closet Cosplay" doesn't mean you can't make anything. You can enter with the choker being made. the point of this category is to show the thriftiness side of cosplay.

I understand that. I just thought you wanted all of it to be bought. Now I don't have to worry about that anymore. Thanks for letting me know. :)
ACen '14 Cosplay

#21 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:36 AM

Thanks so much for your feedback! I already know what I want to enter so I'll start on it ASAP! heheheh..gotta get in character...
A-Cen 2015: Sailor Luna (PGSM) / Fish Mooney (Gotham TV Series) / Anthy (Revolutionary Girl Utena) / Fluttershy (My Little Pony: FIM)

(No Photos)A-cen 2014: Angewomon (Digimon) //// Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) //// Hikaru (Angelic Layer)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#22 User is offline   zorosantouryuu 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 29997

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:13 PM

i was one of the winners who didnt get my aword at the con. when will they be mailed out do you know? :ph34r:

#23 User is offline   Atamagaokashii 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 20425

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:59 PM

I'm definitely interested in this although this will be my first time doing something like this and my third con. I'm just wondering but can you post a summary of the procedure? I mean, I get the fact that we need a photo[s] of our progress other than the Closet Cosplay one but. .other than that, what do we actually have to do?

Is there a time and place that we need to go for it and do we fill the form there or before acen? -confused- Sorry for the er. .lack of understanding!

New list
Cosplays 11:
KHR [REBORN]-100%!
Naruto's Haku! - 30%
Nnoitra [Bleach] =60% Kau from TnC =40%

#24 User is offline   omni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 5659

Posted 15 September 2009 - 05:49 PM

ok question....maybe it has been already answered...but humor me...

Why is there a requirement for a progress picture? Are you guys just doing that so you can make sure peoples actually made their costume?
Acen 2011 cosplays

Hungary: Hetalia
Fairy Tail
One Piece

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users