• This topic is locked

Acen 2009 Irt Complaints

#31 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:25 PM

This is really a problem. Just made me sad and made me think of a question for IRT:

On Saturday I had a 6foot Time key that was detachable into 3 - 3.5 foot pieces. At first I was fine walking around with it and passed alot of IRT people who said nothing to me.

Obviously I was asked to take it apart and obliged without problem..

but my question is this:
As one piece my 6 foot staff only posed a problem to door thresholds but not to con goers. However taking it part often had it swinging behind me and nearly hitting some people. So why was it smarter according to IRT to have my staff disconnected and in peoples way? Am I misunderstanding the meaning behind the 4foot prop limit rule? (I understood it to be for the safety of con goers)
A-Cen 2015: Sailor Luna (PGSM) / Fish Mooney (Gotham TV Series) / Anthy (Revolutionary Girl Utena) / Fluttershy (My Little Pony: FIM)

(No Photos)A-cen 2014: Angewomon (Digimon) //// Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) //// Hikaru (Angelic Layer)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#32 User is offline   satsuke 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 3674

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:30 PM

Only comments I can make for this year are ...

Soap Bubble

Near as I can tell, the interior and exterior door IRT were not radioed staff. I don't know if the fire code rules changed with this year, but it did seem the event itself was sparsely attended for the size of the line.

Small gripe, but when somebody spilled a liquid on the dancefloor and made it slick, IRT dutifully sectioned off the area and prevented people from slipping .. did it occur to anybody to get a mop to clean it up rather than 4 IRT guys guarding it and than moving on?

There was a bit of miscommunication on bags at the dance, the staff (I spoke with, young woman) 0outside the exterior door was telling people no props, no purses, no bags, no containers. I ended up taking a chance and going through the line with my purse and nobody said a thing or checked anything.

Demenior

IRT was in my experience a little nicer this year in terms of being polite when asking attendees to do something. Only issue I had was Saturday night and the large crowd that formed for some reason going over between the hotel lobby and where main events was .. couple of IRT guys (acted more like goons) yelling at myself and many others to get out of the area .. when there was no place to move TO without shoving others out of the way.

Same scenario outside trying to keep the street clear when the line for the dance snaked outside .. does no good to scream at the crowd to stay off the street and curb if the sidewalk is completely full and you need to get to the other hotels.

#33 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 9629

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:59 PM

View PostKasin, on May 10 2009, 09:01 PM, said:

true, but the only information desks are in the rosemont, but if they put one in the hyatt.... also if irt doesn't know the locations, how do they know where to go so they can run thing smoothly?

View PostKasin, on May 10 2009, 09:31 PM, said:

on the map that is...idk about the desk since i wasn't involved in the ballroom stuff.

but if it said convention reg or according to the pic ballroom reg. doesn't say much for answering questions. i would go to registration with a question about where to go.

The Customer Service Department has two main locations. One is a kiosk inside the convention center hall F by where Artist Alley and the dealer's area meet. The other is in the hallway by where the grand ballrooms (where many MAJOR events like the Masquerade and Soap Bubble etc. occur). They are armed with maps, programs, and lots of information!

Remember though that the photoshoots are ENTIRELY UNOFFICIAL! I caps that because I want to make it clear that, yes, RenegadePocky took time to record a list of gatherings and get it printed but the photoshoot gatherings are still not at all run by or organized by staff. So while some staff do know where those locations are (if you had come by the Customer Service desk in the Hyatt if they hadn't known they might have asked me, I was right next door to them and I was directing many people to photoshoot locations), since we don't have anything to do with the organizing of those shoots I doubt it was on IRT's training list.

View PostKasin, on May 10 2009, 10:22 PM, said:

very true. which is why, i, a frequent forum poster knew where he should go. now there are 17000 peeps. not ever majority are on the forums. it would be nice to print it out for others or have people informed on it.

Perhaps you might head over to the Program Book suggestion thread, http://www.acen.org/...showtopic=29691 and suggest that for next year's program book? I do agree a map of those would be useful. I know mostly because I am a forum regular, and I pay attention to where everything is at. But yes, not everyone would know and a key might help.

View PostLady Utena, on May 10 2009, 10:34 PM, said:

Was this last night around 11ish? Because if so, I was one of these girls, and one girl had actually fallen and sprained her ankle while trying to catch up to me for a picture. The medic did come and confirm her injury. I did think it was a little extreme how they made people walk all the way around, but I think it was just leaving room for the medics. I personally was impressed by the way IRT took care of the girl. Though I felt so bad she fell just wanting a picture of my costume... ;__;

As Gypsy said, that is standard.

I attended a couple of EMRT training sessions that were held at the tail end of regular staff meetings in my capacity with Special Needs & Compliance, since some of their topics dealt with information we needed. One thing they pointed out was making sure they had a 10 foot bubble to work safely in. That's also a part of standard CPR training (which I just went to last month) -- step number one is "Check the scene" and make sure it's safe. So most likely IRT had been radioed by dispatch to clear a safe scene for the EMRT who was on his or her way.

Let me just say, for myself, I thought IRT did quite well this year. I was a little upset when my weapons were not okayed but the IRT members who said it were very nice about it and I totally understand (even if I'm not happy). I forgot to look at the callsigns of the IRTs who did my prop checks Fri and Sat but *hugs* to those who did :)

For now...I have to step away from the forums to take care of some post con RL stuff but then I'll be back on later to continue reading. :) I'm curious to hear regular attendee stories about some of the events this weekend, now that I saw the staff side of the con. I already have a whole list of ideas to improve things, some of which I've already brought up to my section chief and who is passing it on to the big staff. So please, keep the feedback coming, we're listening!!!!
Special Needs and Compliance staff for ACen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
C2E2 2015: Doctor Leonard McCoy, Agent Jemma Simmons, either Gambit or Shadowcat
ACen 2015: GoGo Tomago, Doctor Leonard McCoy, Rowdy Roddy Piper

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My blog / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#34 User is offline   OmNefarious_05 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 12081

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:10 PM

Ok got a few complaints, minor in what they are, but huge in description.

I never get to see some of my friends except for at conventions so we usually spend friday night as our "stay up ridiculously late and catch up night". Well we go and walk around the Hyatt in costume and get pictures taken, find places to sit/stand to talk, etc. Well on friday night we were waiting for a friend to finish her cigarette, so we were down in the are by the front doors of the Hyatt. We werent blocking anyones path, any doors, walkways, etc, but IRT kept yelling at us to move that we were blocking the path. We took up less than a 6ft space and there were people who were practically sitting/standing in front of doors or the stairs and the IRT never once came up to them. So it actually got to a point when one asked us to move and my grop went into sarcasm mode and started hopping up and down, spinning in place or just "moving".

On saturday night the same group of friends and I got bored in the hotel room so we started wandering around the Hyatt. Yeah we did some stuff that probably could have gotten us in trouble (riding the elevators up and down). We would go to the 10th floor, walk around the upper area and go down to the next floor; wash, rinse, repeat. Well when we got on one floor I saw one IRT member staring at us from the floor below. And as we moved around the floor we were on he followed us. Then just for fun I started doing a Michigan J. Frog dance in my costume (hatori sohma with a V mask on). He then actually started running towards the elevators. We didnt get in trouble or anything, mainly cuz I think we lost him.

And Im going to agree the "no yaoi/yuri paddle" rule is kind of ridiculous. I know IRT is worried about people being hit with them, but its not like the person hitting someone is going to be trying to hit a homerun or anything. Besides, I saw things there which should have taken priority on the watch list;
-level of near nudity; saw girls and guys who could have worn a pillow case and still had more clothing on)
-the realistic looking weapons; Im sorry, I thought we were allowed to have them this year, hence why I went and got a bright yellow and orange Nerf gun for my Jan Valentine costume, which btw got peacebonded and had to have the empty clip (showed IRT) removed....WTF
-Anons....please for all that is holy if you see people trying to bring 4chan into this con take care of it. My Fruits Basket group had to move its photo shoot location thanks to a large group of people blaring "Never Gonna Give You Up" and forming a huge crowd.

This post has been edited by OmNefarious_05: 11 May 2009 - 01:11 PM

Acen 2010 cosplay lineup: Byakuya Kuchki- Bleach, Stein- Soul Eater, Luffy- One Piece, Staraptor Gijinka- Pokemon

Twilight fans are the Scourge and Stephanie Meyer is the Lich King

#35 User is offline   animedorkguy 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 23869

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:52 PM

View PostShroom, on May 11 2009, 11:20 AM, said:

officially attendees can not start lining up for an event until 30 minutes before said event is to start.

I did not see this "official" line up time posted anywhere on site in any easy to spot location. In the pocket schedule, in the event schedule list it needs to say, no one allowed to line up more than 30 minutes before the start time. Post it on the door of the event, whatever, but we need to know.

That said, people will line up early unless there is more organization/control over the event space.

IRT was hit or miss with props. I would see one person with a staff that was 5 feet long and they were told they could not have it, while another person walked by with an even bigger prop and was not stopped.

IRT is way to hard to spot. There are a lot of costumes of military-themed characters and IRT blends in. How about a neon sign/flashing arrow pointing to you. You could wear pastel colors and hot pink/yellows to stand out from the crowd.

Not IRT related really, but there needs to be a better smoking rule for the con than just the basic Illinois law of 15 feet from the building. There is not enough space for the smokers out there (I am not a smoker).

Now that line-con in the registration hall seems fixed. Can we move the event ticket line to there. It was a bit of chaos in the dealer hall, esp. on Saturday.

Set up a designated line for any/all events that might have a crowd ahead of time. Just standing along the wall does not work. Think theme park lines.

At hotel x,y,z for an event, have a gathering spot for the event that works for people having to use the bathroom, make a phone call, etc.

#36 User is offline   Valencia Crowe 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 17679

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:12 PM

There was like one or two IRT members, I did not get their names, who were yelling at those taking pictures of the DMC photoshoot to get on the sidewalk. It is kind hard to get on the sidewalk when you are by the revolving doors. :\

This one IRT member had an attitude with me because I said I did not have enough money to buy a M.O.V.E. CD or poster or something and I wanted to get their autograph. I did not get their callsign since I did not think it was that BIG of a problem, but I felt I needed to say something.

I think those were the only problems that I had with IRT.

Edit: Oh! There was a girl who dressed up as Felicia and she looked like she wasn't wearing a bra or underwear. I was really disgusted by this. And there was this girl who wrapped herself in like white cloth. I dunno what cosplay it was, but it was just white cloth wrapped around her body and I don't think she wore a bra or underwear either. Can you guys be stricter about those kinds of cosplay?

This post has been edited by Valencia Crowe: 11 May 2009 - 02:15 PM

"Nothing good can ever come from staying with normal people" -Harry MacDougal

#37 User is offline   /OZ/ 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 29759

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:23 PM

Valencia, can you describe the cos, and/or tell me the day you saw it?

Also, as my first year at ACEN, I enjoyed the IRT. The ones I tended to be near made good fair calls at pretty much everything. Being a smoker, I spent my fair share in front of Hyatt, and hell, one of 'em bummed a smoke to my gf. Fantastic. n.n

They could have done a bit better with Soap Bubble organizing, but aside from that, things seemed pretty smooth and problem free. I even loved how at the end of Friday, my friend got told 3 times in 5 minutes by different staff to take his prop out because it was too big. Made my night. XD

This post has been edited by /OZ/: 11 May 2009 - 02:25 PM

#38 User is offline   Valencia Crowe 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:29 PM

The one with the white cloth straps?

I believe it was a Saturday and she was just laying down on her stomach with a bunch of friends. She had red hair, I believe, and the cloth was wrapped around different parts of her body. A part around her chest, a part wrapped around her stomach, her goods down there. There were more pieces of cloth wrapped, but my memory, being very bad, cannot remember everything else. I believe there were cloths wrapped around each leg. I think she was wearing underwear, but I really wasn't paying attention because as soon as I saw it, I looked away.

Cloth being material used for sewing, like cotton and stuff. I am very bad at describing things. T_____T

If I could find a picture, then I will post one.

Edit: Added something.

This post has been edited by Valencia Crowe: 11 May 2009 - 02:46 PM

#39 User is offline   HezaChan 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 18114

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:38 PM

View PostRedXIII, on May 11 2009, 11:53 AM, said:

I am said "short red haired woman" My call name is Red XIII. I will agree that I talked to your girlfriend more than once at different times because it was the direction that I was given by my supervisor. I did not yell, because I never yell except in extreme emergencies. I did ask nicely that she go to prop check and ask them if the outfit and weapons were ok. If there is any major problem, you can post to my supervisors Knight, Mika, or Kaganin. I apologize. We had many complaints from other con goers about "inappropriate costumes" and I was just doing what was detailed to me. I didn't mean to feel like I was singling anyone out. I was asking EVERYONE that I saw in costumes like that to change.

Thank you!!
Red XIII

Not meaning to sound rude in anyway, but I would have really appreciated it if your supervisor said something instead of you all 3 times. No one else on staff had said anything at all, just you so I really felt like I was being singled out when indeed I was trying to follow the rules. I've worn costumes before like those and have had no problem in the past. Like he said, no one else said anything except for you and this made me feel extremely awkward and I felt horrible thinking I was doing something extremely wrong. Both times I wasn't even in costume for 5 minutes before you said something.

View PostValencia Crowe, on May 11 2009, 03:12 PM, said:

Edit: Oh! There was a girl who dressed up as Felicia and she looked like she wasn't wearing a bra or underwear. I was really disgusted by this.

Just letting people know that this wasn't me. My top was a strapless bra covered in fur and securely taped in place. I had a huge blue wig and full feet and paws, and I was wearing underwear underneath my bottoms. I tried reallllly hard to follow all rules. Sorry if my costume offended anyone in anyway. I wasn't in it for very long either. Only late on Friday night so I wouldn't be dressed like that in front of small children.

This post has been edited by HezaChan: 11 May 2009 - 03:19 PM

#40 User is offline   Valencia Crowe 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:45 PM

I know it was not you, Heza because this Felicia was Asian.

To /Oz/:

This is what the cosplay looked like. This most likely was not her since this was a picture from last year.

http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/cl...nt=IMG_1627.jpg

#41 User is offline   davebb 

• EMRT
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11282

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:46 PM

The policy for IRT was to give at least 5-6 feet radius of space around the patient for us EMRT (medical staff) to work. I was not involved in this response as I came back in shortly after having another outside con obligation to attend, so I have no first hand involvement other than what I have read here involving it. So IRT here was from how I read it in the right for making way for the Medic to arrive and work. The person who mentioned the issue may have just arrived before the medic got there, which is no wrong to him either. Just the timing was wrong. As long as the IRT ops directed you around in a friendly way, or otherwise not rude, everyone did what they were supposed to do in this situation.
-dave / Medic 6 [EMRT Staff]

View PostLady Utena, on May 10 2009, 10:34 PM, said:

Was this last night around 11ish? Because if so, I was one of these girls, and one girl had actually fallen and sprained her ankle while trying to catch up to me for a picture. The medic did come and confirm her injury. I did think it was a little extreme how they made people walk all the way around, but I think it was just leaving room for the medics. I personally was impressed by the way IRT took care of the girl. Though I felt so bad she fell just wanting a picture of my costume... ;__;

Medic 6 : ACen 2014 EMRT ConCenter Supervisor (serving since 2008)
Dave Bukowski -- NREMT-B
EMT-B / EMA
"ask not what ACen can do for you--ask what you can do for ACen"

#42 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 13139

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:46 PM

View PostGypsy, on May 11 2009, 08:37 AM, said:

I'm going to take a shot at explaining this. This year, as before each ACEN in the past that I've worked, I do my very best to be as well-informed and prepared as possible. (If you saw me this weekend, I was the IRT op with a big "man-purse" slung over one shoulder - part of my effort to be prepared for as many situations as possible. Turns out the only thing someone asked for and I didn't have this weekend was tape, so yay for man-purses!) I can speak only for myself in terms of preparation, but I will say that every op went to at least one training session this year unless travel distance prevented their doing so, and I saw several other ops taking the same steps I did. And, as always, I picked up numerous tips and information from my fellow ops.

All that being said - each op is given a specific "detail" when working, to help keep order and assure that they are best trained for the situations they are most likely to encounter. For example, I was a Guest Escort. That meant that most of my preparation was locating panel rooms, finding the fastest routes between different locations in four buildings, estimating the travel time for those routes at different times of day as the traffic level flucuates, and keeping track of where are guests were coming from, going to, and headed after that even was finished. So when guests asked me where so-and-so was signing, or which room Panel 7 was in, I could usually help them out. However, when I was detailed to Vic Mignogna's post-concert signing outside the main ballroom and guests were asking where they should line up for Masquerade, or whether the office had any more tickets available, I didn't know. I did my best to either direct them towards someone I knew to be on a detail where they would know that information, or radio in a request if there wasn't higher priority traffic, but I'm sure there was at least one time I had to shrug my shoulders and apologize while still moving, because I was in the middle of moving a guest from one place to another and really couldn't stop. (By the way, if I did that to you and you read this, I'm sorry! I really do love helping people out, it's why I do IRT...)

Finally, and possibly the biggest reason, is that despite our best efforts, things CHANGE when we get to con. Every plan is withstands scrutiny until execution, and ACEN is no different. As one very small example, one of our panels was in Malpensa this year, on the lower level of the Hyatt. At some point before Friday morning, that panel was moved to a different room at the far end of the hall. Which meant that until one of my team members saw this and reported it to inform the rest of us, my notes and information on panels in that room were useless.

Does that help to explain, Kasin?

Yes, and I thank you for trying to have all the info. If irt are told to do one job only that makes since.

View PostKnitChick, on May 11 2009, 01:59 PM, said:

The Customer Service Department has two main locations. One is a kiosk inside the convention center hall F by where Artist Alley and the dealer's area meet. The other is in the hallway by where the grand ballrooms (where many MAJOR events like the Masquerade and Soap Bubble etc. occur). They are armed with maps, programs, and lots of information!

Remember though that the photoshoots are ENTIRELY UNOFFICIAL! I caps that because I want to make it clear that, yes, RenegadePocky took time to record a list of gatherings and get it printed but the photoshoot gatherings are still not at all run by or organized by staff. So while some staff do know where those locations are (if you had come by the Customer Service desk in the Hyatt if they hadn't known they might have asked me, I was right next door to them and I was directing many people to photoshoot locations), since we don't have anything to do with the organizing of those shoots I doubt it was on IRT's training list.

Perhaps you might head over to the Program Book suggestion thread, http://www.acen.org/...showtopic=29691 and suggest that for next year's program book? I do agree a map of those would be useful. I know mostly because I am a forum regular, and I pay attention to where everything is at. But yes, not everyone would know and a key might help.

Now I, like many others didn't go to major events, and the guide said nothing on it but reg.

And once more, I mean locations! Like "where is sky dome" or "where is the forest patch"etc.

But if you all get told to do only one thing and not briefed in anything else, I get it.

Already post in suggestions, I will let them know to label all info desks as such.

This post has been edited by Kasin: 11 May 2009 - 02:51 PM

Anime: hell girl, & trigun. Manga: Soul eater. / Games: Dragon Age, DCUO, batman, & soulsilver.i'm a rini fan boypokemon friend code: 2836 0346 5412 battle anytime, need to get my gold/silver code. wii code: 0061 4530 7677 7629. XBL: hitherkasin & PSN ID: kasin13in 2011 i will be cosplaying as gene starwind & kouga, also w/ my daughter we will do pokemon trainer red/ash & eevee/pikachu. in 2012 we will do hit girl & big daddy, also mini moon & tuxedo mask. in 2013 we will do wizardmon & kari with a gatomon plushie (ty teko!) also mystic gohan & pan. I will also do green ranger some day.

#43 User is offline   Gypsy 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 4636

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:13 PM

View PostValencia Crowe, on May 11 2009, 08:12 PM, said:

There was like one or two IRT members, I did not get their names, who were yelling at those taking pictures of the DMC photoshoot to get on the sidewalk. It is kind hard to get on the sidewalk when you are by the revolving doors. :\

This one IRT member had an attitude with me because I said I did not have enough money to buy a M.O.V.E. CD or poster or something and I wanted to get their autograph. I did not get their callsign since I did not think it was that BIG of a problem, but I felt I needed to say something.

I think those were the only problems that I had with IRT.

Edit: Oh! There was a girl who dressed up as Felicia and she looked like she wasn't wearing a bra or underwear. I was really disgusted by this. And there was this girl who wrapped herself in like white cloth. I dunno what cosplay it was, but it was just white cloth wrapped around her body and I don't think she wore a bra or underwear either. Can you guys be stricter about those kinds of cosplay?

- We have to do our best to keep traffic on the sidewalk - if we don't enforce that rule, traffic both on foot and driving to and from the hotel would quickly get more unruly that it already is during busy times. I'm sorry that it interfered with your photo shoot, though. The whole main lobby area is really tough for good photo spots - maybe next year try something in one of the areas off the main lobby? Unless there's a line forming for an upcoming panel, those areas are typically a little easier to find space in.

- I promise you, the IRT ops you spoke with weren't hassling you about signing merchandise just for attitude's sake. Our guests appear at the convention under contract, and if we fail to abide by the terms of that contract we risk not having cool guests come to our con. Does that make sense?

- The costume you're describing sounds like Leeloo from The Fifth Element. (Great flick, check it out if you get a chance. "Who else wants to negotiate," indeed.) I know that I saw at least one con attendee cosplaying as Leeloo in the pen (our HQ) on Thursday or Friday, being told their costume was inappropriate for a family convention and asking that they change. However, it's very difficult to enforce these rules in practice, because it is so subjective in interpretation. As you've already seen on this thread, if we speak to someone about their costume and they see someone later with a costume they feel is more revealing, they feel slighted or like they're being picked on. I understand that sentiment, no one likes to feel like they're being singled out. But with the multitude of attendees and the variety of costumes, policing them could easily be a full-time job. Even if we issued exact specifications (no skirt more than four inches above the knee, no more than two inches of cleavage, no crack allowed, etc) and gave every operative a ruler, I'm sure folks would slip through the cracks. (Pun only slightly intended.)

I saw a few people, both male and female, in costumes that I considered inappropriate for a family-oriented convention this weekend. I made an effort to ask if they had another costume they could change into, or simply asked they pull part of the costume up/down to cover a bit more skin, but to be completely honest I wouldn't have been able to do my job if I walked every questionable costume to the pen for review. And without taking them to the pen each time and noting badge names, etc, it's easy for someone determined to do so to ignore numerous warnings. It's a Catch-22... if we direct no effort towards restricting costumes, I assure you there would be much, much more skin on display. If we try to strictly enforce costume rules, the rest of our duties suffer and there is STILL someone who will be an example of "getting away with it." If you have any suggestions on how we can more efficiently balance our duties, I know that our ADHs and DH would be receptive to listening.
For complaints and inquiries regarding IRT actions during con, please fill out the following short form and post it to the IRT Comments Concerns thread.
When: Date and approximate time, as best you can acertain.
Where: The exact location.
Who: A name or description of IRT member(s).
What: EXACTLY what you feel was wrong. Be specific, with quotes if possible.
When: What day and time did the even occur?
How: How would you have handled the problem differently if you were the IRT member?

#44 User is offline   Grimmons 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 18620

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:16 PM

Have to agree with the yaoi/yuri paddles. My friend was Botan and had been looking forward to that paddle for soooo long... Luckily the IRT who talked to us was nice about it, a shorter red-haired lady with her hair pulled back. But there were some IRT members who were completely ridiculous. Like the guy who told us, when we were standing against the glass railing in the Hyatt, that we were blocking a pathway. ...Excuse me? I think he meant we were in HIS way.
ACen 2015

Unless I get a miracle, I will most likely be unable to attend.

#45 User is offline   Valencia Crowe 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:18 PM

Thank you for your reply, Gypsy. Your post has helped me a lot. :)

#46 User is offline   Gypsy 

• Pip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:30 PM

View PostKasin, on May 11 2009, 08:46 PM, said:

Yes, and I thank you for trying to have all the info. If irt are told to do one job only that makes since.

We aren't exclusively specialized - for example, the briefings I attended covered some of the basic duties for day shift, and I knew our rules for props. There's also a common base of knowledge that transfers pretty well between cons, so each year we get a little bit better at our jobs. Locations in particular are difficult, though, because not only do they change from year to year, but sometimes even within the span of the con. Unless you're privy to the update, it's hard to keep up.

Add the fact that we're all operating on a fair amount of sleep deprivation (I know that I got about 8 hours between Thursday morning and Sunday night, and I know of at LEAST two ops personally who got less than that), and hopefully our mistakes are put into perspective. None of this is an excuse against our attempts to improve - if you take one thing away from this thread, I hope that it's understanding our effort is to improve our efficiency and your enjoyment and safety at con every year. :)

The biggest thing, honestly, that any of you can do to help is this - get involved! I don't have info handy on how many IRT staff we had this year, but I know we had 10 Guest Escorts... for ALL of our guests. Consider how many guests we have at a con, and consider how many attendees we have - we're operating on extremely limited manpower resources. If you're unable or uninclined for any reason to get involved with IRT, you can still get involved. Make suggestions where you see we can improve in the suggestions thread. Be responsible with your friends, and let them know when they're breaking the rules. (I've seen several people mention that they knew they couldn't do something according to the con rules, but did so anyway - be responsible for yourself, as well.) And finally, give us the benefit of the doubt: when we're asking you to do something, it's almost always for a reason. Many times, because we're needed in 17 different places at once, we're unable to give you a full explanation on the spot, and that's where these kinds of threads are a wonderful opportunity to resolve issues after the con. But I promise you, we don't sacrifice our weekend and wear the soles off our shoes to be killjoys. :P I keep coming back to work ACEN because I love seeing people coming together and celebrating a common interest, and I love having an opportunity to facilitate that fun. Many of our ops are anime fans themselves, and give up attending panels or hitting the dealer's room in favor of wrangling lines and checking props for the same reason.

Finally, thanks for being so understanding. I know I can be long-winded, but it makes it worthwhile if an explanation improve's a congoer's view of what we do.
For complaints and inquiries regarding IRT actions during con, please fill out the following short form and post it to the IRT Comments Concerns thread.
How: How would you have handled the problem differently if you were the IRT member?

#47 User is offline   Gypsy 

• Pip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:34 PM

View PostGrimmons, on May 11 2009, 09:16 PM, said:

Have to agree with the yaoi/yuri paddles. My friend was Botan and had been looking forward to that paddle for soooo long... Luckily the IRT who talked to us was nice about it, a shorter red-haired lady with her hair pulled back. But there were some IRT members who were completely ridiculous. Like the guy who told us, when we were standing against the glass railing in the Hyatt, that we were blocking a pathway. ...Excuse me? I think he meant we were in HIS way.

Yaoi/Yuri Paddles: It doesn't take a "home-run swing" for someone with a paddle to pose an issue. We instituted the ban because we've received complaints in the past, and when those complaints reached a certain threshold our responsibility compelled action. This is not just for the safety of the paddlees - if someone takes offense at getting thwapped in the behind with a paddle, they're legally capable of pressing charges that are a lot nastier than having a badge pulled. Touching someone, even by proxy, without their explicit consent leads down all kinds of nasty roads. The easiest way to prevent these issues is to just institute an across-the-board ban.

#48 User is offline   stringcheese 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 23104

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:16 PM

View PostGypsy, on May 11 2009, 04:30 PM, said:

The biggest thing, honestly, that any of you can do to help is this - get involved! I don't have info handy on how many IRT staff we had this year, but I know we had 10 Guest Escorts... for ALL of our guests. Consider how many guests we have at a con, and consider how many attendees we have - we're operating on extremely limited manpower resources. If you're unable or uninclined for any reason to get involved with IRT, you can still get involved. Make suggestions where you see we can improve in the suggestions thread. Be responsible with your friends, and let them know when they're breaking the rules. (I've seen several people mention that they knew they couldn't do something according to the con rules, but did so anyway - be responsible for yourself, as well.) And finally, give us the benefit of the doubt: when we're asking you to do something, it's almost always for a reason. Many times, because we're needed in 17 different places at once, we're unable to give you a full explanation on the spot, and that's where these kinds of threads are a wonderful opportunity to resolve issues after the con. But I promise you, we don't sacrifice our weekend and wear the soles off our shoes to be killjoys. :P I keep coming back to work ACEN because I love seeing people coming together and celebrating a common interest, and I love having an opportunity to facilitate that fun. Many of our ops are anime fans themselves, and give up attending panels or hitting the dealer's room in favor of wrangling lines and checking props for the same reason.

Finally, thanks for being so understanding. I know I can be long-winded, but it makes it worthwhile if an explanation improve's a congoer's view of what we do.

Echoing Gypsy's statements here. A bunch of us worked a good 2-3 hours past our scheduled shifts on Friday and Saturday standing outside in the cold trying to manage lines. Of course, missing radios didn't really help either so a bunch of us had trouble getting messages relayed to other members. I apologize if we caused any inconvenience for anyone due to mis-communication. I had stuff like that pulled on me before and it is not fun. :(
IRT Callsign: Dub

"We had our words, a common spat. So I kissed him uspide the cranium with an aluminum baseball bat."
-Alowishus Devadander Abercrombie (Long for Mud)

#49 User is offline   Lenne 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 425

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:43 PM

And once more, I mean locations! Like "where is sky dome" or "where is the forest patch"etc.

Staff aren't necessarily going to know what the "sky dome" or "forest patch" are, though. Personally, I'd guess the sky dome would be the area down on the first floor under where the pool used to be, but if someone asked me "where is the forest patch" I'd probably end up staring blankly wondering just what on earth they were talking about. A lot of areas have no official names, and people just come up with nicknames for them.
♥ Alana ♥
Table Top Gaming ADH ACen 2008 - 2010
Table Top Gaming Staff ACen 2006 - 2007
No one has invaded my sig yet. Mwahahahaa >P

....Then along came SongstressLenne ♥ Alkaren stopped in too ♥

#50 User is offline   Kaelri 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 15836

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:57 PM

I think the one thing that irks most people about IRT is that there are nice IRT members and then there are the ones (like a friend of mine that yelled at me for going to the only public bathroom that I knew of in the Hyatt right next to the forming Soap Bubble line) who get power hungry and don't know how to act civil. I had no complaints about IRT this year, really.
My Pokeymanz are better than yours.
ACEN '10 Cosplay - Buneary on Friday then evolving to Lopunny on Saturday

Thanks for making my ACEN '09 amazing!

#51 User is offline   Umbra 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 3129

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:16 PM

I have three IRT comments for this year.

1. Me and a friend came into the hyatt on friday morning with all our luggage to get to our rooms. Upon getting off the top of the elevator we were ambushed by IRT becauseshe had a wooden sword amidst her luggage, and we were ordered to go get it peace bound. While that was our plan all along, seriously we just got there and needed to drop stuff in our respective rooms, the immediate ambush was rather gung ho and unnecessary...and we were being yelled at by people behind us for stopping at the top of the escalator x_x

2. I was really annoyed at never being able to get an official IRT answer regarding what qualified as a "realistic toy gun" despite asking and emailing multiple times, which caused be to have to scrap my prop. The stuff i saw carried there drastically varied and it seemed that stuff was allowed entirely on the whim of whichever IRT member you happened to find at the table at the time.

3. A happy comment, not a complaint. I'm really glad that yaoi paddles were banned, having been far to close to unwanted encounters with them in the past.
~Umbra: Trying out for the Hylian team. Mario and Sonic don't deserve a monopoly on the Winter Olympics.

#52 User is offline   Divide 

• IRT Operative
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 11336

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:27 PM

Thanks for the comments, everyone! Keep em coming. We can further improve our methods of procedure with this.

Btw, sorry for the lack of info about photoshoots, but as was stated those things weren't organized by Acen so few of us would actually know where they would be. Same applies to the names of some locations around the Hyatt considering the nicknames tend to vary so sometimes we honestly don't know what you're asking about ^^;
Acen '07 - IRT newbie
Acen '08 - IRT Night Shift Operative
Acen '09 - IRT Mid Shift Operative (plus extended Saturday duty lol.)
Acen '10 - IRT Mid Shift Dispatch
Acen '11 - IRT Night Shift Dispatch
Acen '12 - IRT Night Shift Operative
Codename: Divide/Neg 1

#53 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:42 PM

View PostGypsy, on May 11 2009, 05:13 PM, said:

- We have to do our best to keep traffic on the sidewalk - if we don't enforce that rule, traffic both on foot and driving to and from the hotel would quickly get more unruly that it already is during busy times. I'm sorry that it interfered with your photo shoot, though. The whole main lobby area is really tough for good photo spots - maybe next year try something in one of the areas off the main lobby? Unless there's a line forming for an upcoming panel, those areas are typically a little easier to find space in.

I can understand why IRT would want people to traverse along the sidewalk but please, don't bark at me to stay on the sidewalk when IRT is blocking it. Make way for foot traffic and I'll stay on the sidewalk.

Overall I can't say too much else than has already been mentioned. I do feel like it was better than last year though so whatever was done to make it better this year, keep it up.

This post has been edited by rondo: 11 May 2009 - 05:45 PM

#54 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:43 PM

View PostValencia Crowe, on May 11 2009, 03:45 PM, said:

I know it was not you, Heza because this Felicia was Asian.

To /Oz/:

This is what the cosplay looked like. This most likely was not her since this was a picture from last year.

http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/cl...nt=IMG_1627.jpg

Does anyone have a picture of said Felicia. An asian friend of mine was cosplaying her and I heard it got kinda slutty even though I told her a hundred times to make it more appropriate for her age

The character is LeeLoo from the fifth element. There has been worse in the past of that cosplay though ..
2015 Cosplay
Elrond's angry face when the hobbits crash the party
Honoka-Dead or Alive Last Roumd
Kongou- Arpeggio of Blue Steel
Rise- Persona 4 Dancing all Night

#55 User is offline   Valencia Crowe 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:46 PM

View Postlinlindesu, on May 11 2009, 06:43 PM, said:

Does anyone have a picture of said Felicia. An asian friend of mine was cosplaying her and I heard it got kinda slutty even though I told her a hundred times to make it more appropriate for her age

The character is LeeLoo from the fifth element. There has been worse in the past of that cosplay though ..

I do not have a picture of her. Sorry. :(

That picture is of a person who did that in 2008. I do not have a picture of the one or two I saw this year. I kinda like to not take pictures of those kinds of cosplays. :(

#56 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:26 PM

View Postlinlindesu, on May 11 2009, 06:43 PM, said:

That confused me as well. In the past I saw much more clothed girls who were asked to change. But this year I saw a girl in a mini and I mean mini one piece swim suit and very short shorts, I could see every thing except her inner self which I could see out lined. But she was cosplaying! She bought cheap ears and a tail. >_>

Yet she got right into the dealer room with ease.

Another was walking in a wife beater and pink under wear.

Was leeloo told to go? Because she was the same one from last year, she seem to wear it until she is told to change

This post has been edited by Kasin: 11 May 2009 - 06:33 PM

Anime: hell girl, & trigun. Manga: Soul eater. / Games: Dragon Age, DCUO, batman, & soulsilver.i'm a rini fan boypokemon friend code: 2836 0346 5412 battle anytime, need to get my gold/silver code. wii code: 0061 4530 7677 7629. XBL: hitherkasin & PSN ID: kasin13in 2011 i will be cosplaying as gene starwind & kouga, also w/ my daughter we will do pokemon trainer red/ash & eevee/pikachu. in 2012 we will do hit girl & big daddy, also mini moon & tuxedo mask. in 2013 we will do wizardmon & kari with a gatomon plushie (ty teko!) also mystic gohan & pan. I will also do green ranger some day.

#57 User is offline   Aonele 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 11231

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:27 PM

My only complaint was that the IRT's I came in contact with honestly had no clue what they were doing. I'm not going to reveal their names since they weren't being rude, and I wasn't offended, but just a little...eeeeeh.

Okay, here's what happened. My boyfriend and I were lost in the Hyatt (I have to say, even though this is my 4th ACen, due to the fact that I have very little sense of direction, I often forget how to get where until I actually walk it again). We spotted two IRT staffers near the entrance of the Hyatt and decided to ask them. At the time they were helping another person by speaking through their walkie talkie and asking from the main HQ, I think. The other person's question was pretty simple ("Where's the Main Programing room?" and it was like right there from the entrance) so I tried to answer and point the person to the right direction. But apparently I was too loud and was hushed by the IRT staffer (and my boyfriend too. Pbbbbt) At that point I just decided that I can read a map (although with great difficulties) and decided to find the place I was looking for myself.

After I thought about it, I can see where I was a little off by talking while the staffer was trying to get information. But maybe staffers could be given goodie bags in the future too? That way they could always show people where they are, and how to get to where they want to go in the future.

Also, one of my friends is on IRT as well, but when I asked him where to get tickets for the concert/Masquerade, he pointed me to the Hyatt, when I -knew- that tickets were always given out at the Convention Center (we were -in- the convention center at the time too when this took place, so I had to walk back and forth -__-||). I went to the Hyatt anyway to see if anyone else knows exactly where to get the tickets, and the people at the Help desk right next to the Main Programming room told us that it was in the Convention Center (and one was even kind enough to lead us there).

So I don't really have big complaints like everyone else, just a little suggestion: give IRT members maps of ACen and have them mark points of interest (ie where they give out event tickets) and where they are on duty so they can give the information right away instead of asking HQ every time someone asks.
---Cosplay List 2012---
Will not be attending ;-;

#58 User is offline   LolipopGestapo 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 4652

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:33 PM

I don't see the problem with the Leeloo. She's covering as much as a bathing suit would. Are we that offended by thighs and tummies?
Rawr.

#59 User is offline   Rissid 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 17783

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:24 PM

View PostLolipopGestapo, on May 11 2009, 08:33 PM, said:

I don't see the problem with the Leeloo. She's covering as much as a bathing suit would. Are we that offended by thighs and tummies?

This pretty much. I mean, she could have gotten those sticky bras, not cheap but super useful and reusable. But that's just like padding in a bikini.

#60 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:31 PM

View PostLolipopGestapo, on May 11 2009, 08:33 PM, said:

agreed!

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users