• This topic is locked

Acen 2009 Irt Complaints

#151 User is offline   Gypsy 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 4636

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:15 PM

View Postazrael723, on May 13 2009, 03:39 PM, said:

the only thing i can say is there was a problem with Radio-chatter. Ask any of the IRT that had a headset... aight that right, Cricket? Anytime a question was brought up it was almost impossible to get a quick answer. You usually had to run to this office to talk to someone who ended up not having any say. then you had to run to ANOTHER office and HOPEFULLY got an answer there! Ask anyone who lost their badge.

I do, however, understand the magnitude of trying to organize so many individuals and radio communication is important. Hopefully they will find a way to resolve this before next year.

I didnt have any problems from IRT members personally. I did have to move my costume a couple times, usually from one area to another cause an IRT member was just moving me out of the area they were responsible for into someone else's area. It happens. Assess, deal and move on, right?

As Cricket said, there really wasn't much unnecessary chatter on the radio at all this con. I expect proper radio etiquette from the vets, but I was really impressed with the greens I heard this year on radio following their protocols - waiting before transmitting, clear and concise requests, breaking a transmission if it would run too long. It's just a fact of life that with 16k people spread over three or four locations, there's gonna be a lot going on at some points. Usually, if I couldn't raise someone on the radio quickly for a congoer's request, I tried to point them in the direction of an op I knew to be detailed to something related to their question, or to the info desk. And that, to my knowledge anyway, is with IRT on more channels than any other single department of the con.
For complaints and inquiries regarding IRT actions during con, please fill out the following short form and post it to the IRT Comments Concerns thread.
When: Date and approximate time, as best you can acertain.
Where: The exact location.
Who: A name or description of IRT member(s).
What: EXACTLY what you feel was wrong. Be specific, with quotes if possible.
When: What day and time did the even occur?
How: How would you have handled the problem differently if you were the IRT member?

#152 User is offline   Gypsy 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 4636

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:21 PM

View Postsatsuke, on May 15 2009, 02:52 PM, said:

Sounds like something to get set in stone before next year .. it's not like the room configuration was dreamt up the day of the show

As far as I know, our location for Soap Bubble didn't change prior to/during con. However, what we were told our capacity was changed several times, as dictated through the fire marshall. As the fire marshall has the ability to flip the switch and shut con down on a code violation, we endeavor to do everything possible to accommodate his requests and generally not tick him off. Sometimes, like at the Soap Bubble, some of our con attendees suffer. I truly feel for the people who spent hours waiting in line, because I was on my feet all weekend too and I know how it feels. I think you can agree, however, that it's a preferable solution to losing our convention space altogether, no?

And actually, room configurations sometimes DO change during con, and not because someone skipped on their due diligence for planning. Anytime you're dealing with something the magnitude of Anime Central, you need to account for a certain amount of flexibility in planning. If there's a blown fuse, or a room isn't wired for internet or A/V or a panel that should be, or there's more/less attendees for an event than was previously planned, or a number of other variables, plans are forced to change. This isn't the thread for it, but I'd like to throw some big props at our Panel Programming dept, who I think did a lovely job of fitting all those gears together. I can only think of one incident this weekend that I experienced personally where it seemed something slipped through the cracks, and to their credit we had someone pounding feet to our location to take care of it almost before I finished radioing it in. :D
For complaints and inquiries regarding IRT actions during con, please fill out the following short form and post it to the IRT Comments Concerns thread.
When: Date and approximate time, as best you can acertain.
Where: The exact location.
Who: A name or description of IRT member(s).
What: EXACTLY what you feel was wrong. Be specific, with quotes if possible.
When: What day and time did the even occur?
How: How would you have handled the problem differently if you were the IRT member?

#153 User is offline   surge.gamer 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 29906

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:24 PM

Yea... ::bows to fire marshal:: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DONT SHUT US DOWN!

That is pretty much how we have to be...

#154 User is offline   Falling_Demon 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 16834

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:38 PM

Irt did an awesome job this year. :)

Its good to know the soap bubble line wasn't your fault, I know you guys were trying to get us all in. The IRT walking along the sidewalk did an awesome job trying to explain and keep people happy/out of the way. Good job overall guys!
ACen 2012: Tsubaki (Soul Eater)

#155 User is offline   Bones 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 16992

Posted 03 June 2009 - 04:37 AM

View Postokaonos, on May 13 2009, 03:24 PM, said:

Me too. Vendors have every right to sell them and we have every right to buy them. But if people can't be mature and handle them properly, perhaps there should be a rule that they need to be boxed or wrapped.

I agree with you completely on this-- It was a cause of great concern for me once I realized that vendors were still selling these paddles despite the "No Paddles allowed" rule being in place. I did the best I could to ask IRT operatives in the Convention Center to be polite when asking con goers to return their paddles to their rooms, cars, or otherwise. Also, as said beforehand, it was somewhat of a mixed message that we disallowed Paddles from being carried around during the convention yet vendors still stocked and sold them-- The Boxing and/or Wrapping idea that was proposed sounds like a wonderful compromise to still allow sales of said paddles while avoiding the headache that arises as a result of them being carried around and/or "used" on others.
Callsign: "Bones" (Formerly "Ginkan")
IRT Rules Enforcement[Hotel] Mid Shift Team Lead '13,'14
IRT Rules Enforcement[Hotel] Night Shift Supervisor '11
IRT Day Shift Dispatcher[ConCenter] '09,'10

"Only in death does duty end."

#156 User is offline   trunks_lover29 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 37361

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:26 AM

I had an issue at the 2009 ACEN that I'd like to post.

On the Friday that he con began I was walking back to the Hyatt from the exhibit hall with my fiance when we ran into a block in the sidewalk traffic. An IRT member was talking to a crowd of people (they were obviously all friends taking with their buddy on duty) who were completely blocking the sidewalk. Everyone who encountered them did one of two things: walk into traffic on the left of the sidewalk, or walk into the landscaping on the right. Since the landscaping was quickly becoming full of people who wanted to take pictures of cosplayers we moved to the left and off the curb. Now for some reason the curb here is ten inches off the ground, because of this I tripped on my Hakama and landed with my left ankle on the road. In short I sprained my ankle, much worse that I ever have playing sports because I couldn't control my decent and I ended up putting all my weight on my ankle. Not only did my ankle swell up that day, but it was bad enough to leave a dark purple bruise that covered my ankle and foot in a 2.5" radius. Now the giant 250 lb. sasquatch of a man in the IRT uniform who was right next to me (and had previously been blocking my path) said "Are you alright?" Seems fair enough, but considering the fact that I felt like I was going to vomit from the pain, I was huddled on the ground and couldn't get up under my own power you think he would have actually moved more than just his neck to help me. My fiance finally had to bodily lift me from the ground and carry to the hotel because I could hardly speak to tell anyone that I was really hurt (and I admit that at this time I was both furious at the IRT guy and embarrassed because there were several dozen people staring at me). You think he could have stopped talking to his friends for a moment to help with the problem he caused, but nope, too busy ignoring his duties. Well nobody pays him to do it, so how could you expect him to actually do it, right?

Now I'll admit, I tripped over my own hakama and landed poorly. But in retrospect the entire problem could have been avoided if the IRT member, a person in charge of my security, wasn't blocking the one and only walkway back to the hotel. He should have been keeping the sidewalk clear instead of barricading it with a walk of people he wanted to talk to.

So that's my rant. Well, also I'd like to say that even now, four months later, my ankle is still stiff.

#157 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 591

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:31 AM

View Posttrunks_lover29, on Sep 11 2009, 12:26 PM, said:

I had an issue at the 2009 ACEN that I'd like to post.

Thank you for taking the time to voice this. I'll make sure that we add appropriate training for situations like this and that it gets drilled in appropriately.
Eli "Rabbi" Morris-Heft: IRT Assistant Department Head
SecDiv Dispatch 2004, IRT Communications ADH 2005-06, IRT Dispatch Supervisor 2007-2010, IRT Dispatch Commander 2011, IRT ADH 2012-, IT Senior Sysadmin 2007-2011, ACen Clergy, 2004-

"Two-three the count with nobody on / He hit a high fly into the stands / Roundin' third, he was headed for home / It was a brown-eyed handsome man (that won the game) / It was a brown-eyed handsome man." (Brown-Eyed Handsome Man by Chuck Berry)

I <3 People Who <3 IRT!Want to help make IRT even better? Apply next year!

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users