• This topic is locked

Wig Problem Dx (urgent!) Darn me and my noobiness! D:<

#1 User is offline   eMiLy dA oTaKu~ 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 29192

Post icon  Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:44 PM

Okay.....
So I ordered this wig from this site here.
And the wig is very good quality, but the problem is....
The wig poofs up whenever I put it on!! So when I put on the wig cap, my head will look huge, and I will look very goofy. (Unless if your supposed to have a big head..?)
Plus the bangs in the front are mixed up, they part oddly, and are "in-my face kinda.
How can I style it to make it look nice?
Or does it look okay...?
HALP!!

LINKS
The wig
Me wearing the wig #1
Me wearing the wig #2
Me wearing the wig #3

Who would've thunk it that my first post here would be a halp topic?
xD
[

#2 User is offline   Xirucem 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 26723

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:50 PM

I think it looks fine! If the style is bothering you just add some hairspray and fix it to be the way you want. Hairspray cured a lot of problems for my Zexion wig- and all wigs look a little poofy, with my experience.
This year~

-Lilie from Princess Tutu
-Maqui from FFXIII
-Fleece hoodie version of Butterfree Pokemon~

#3 User is offline   eMiLy dA oTaKu~ 

• Pip

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:51 PM

WOW! It's already 9:00?
Time sure does fly by....
Oh well, I want Tuesday to be done with.
[

#4 User is offline   Valencia Crowe 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 17679

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:52 PM

Are you putting your hair in a bun? Because that might be your problem.

Edit: Yes, hairspray also works very well, like Xirucem said. :)

This post has been edited by Valencia Crowe: 05 May 2009 - 06:53 PM

"Nothing good can ever come from staying with normal people" -Harry MacDougal

#5 User is offline   eMiLy dA oTaKu~ 

• Pip

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:52 PM

Really? :o
Thanks! :heart:
Sorry, I dont know how to quote people! =D
[

#6 User is offline   this_chick25 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 7489

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:53 PM

I take it you have long hair? That could cause a wig to "poof up", but in your case, it looks fine. I think you were expecting your wig to look exactly like it does on the display head.

Display heads are actually made about one to two inches smaller in circumference than the average human head, so every wig will require a bit of poking around to get it to look right on your own head. Just get a detangler brush and a big-tooth comb, and maybe a bit of holding spray, and it should be fine.

Also, here's a tutorial on pin curls, which are the best way to evenly compress long hair under a wig (unless you have a fluffy afro like mine, then cornrows work better).

This post has been edited by this_chick25: 05 May 2009 - 06:57 PM

Acen Attendee since 2001
Wondering how much to save for ACen? Click here!
FREE! Cosplay construction and materials advice--get yours now!
Never cause more mischief than that which is necessary for success.
Sig invade'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd by Alk <3

#7 User is offline   eMiLy dA oTaKu~ 

• Pip

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:55 PM

View PostValencia Crowe, on May 5 2009, 06:52 PM, said:

Are you putting your hair in a bun? Because that might be your problem.

YES! I CAN DO IT!
No, I had it in a down ponytail, but I plan on wearing a wig cap to The convention. xD

View Postthis_chick25, on May 5 2009, 06:53 PM, said:

I take it you have long hair? That could cause a wig to "poof up", but in your case, it looks fine. I think you were expecting your wig to look exactly like it does on the display head.

Display heads are actually made about one to two inches smaller in circumference than the average human head, so every wig will require a bit of poking around to get it to look right on your own head. Just get a detangler brush and a big-tooth comb, and maybe a bit of holding spray, and it should be fine.

Okay...thanks. xD
And yes, I was thinking it would look exactly like the wig on the display head.
My mistake...
And my hair is down two inches past my shoulders. =D
[

#8 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:30 PM

Bobby pins and putting your hair up correctly in a wig cap works ^_^

If you are unsure if you are putting your hair up correctly, google "putting on a wig tutorial" and you'll find what you need! Good luck!
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#9 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 9629

Posted 06 May 2009 - 02:25 AM

TC beat me to the punch on the pincurl tutorial, which is what I was going to suggest. If you look in that DA gallery, Taeliac also has wonderful tutorials on putting on the wig cap and wig too. Helped me BIG TIME when I first started cosplaying!

Wigs tend to be designed with a little elasticity at the nape of the neck. What I did when my hair was that length was take some hair at the front and do at least four pincurls at the front of my head, just above my forehead. Then I braided the rest of my hair and folded the braid up so the only bump was right in the center of my head at my neck. Then you put on the wig cap, tuck in all the little flyaways. Put the wig on forehead first, then stretch it around that bump of hair.

It does take a little practice, especially when you're not used to wigs. Used to take me half an hour or so to get a wig on. Now I can pincurl my whole head (which is what I do now that my hair's shorter) and get the wig on in like ten minutes or less.

As far as the bangs I'd suggest getting a wig brush (do NOT use a normal hairbrush! Wig brushes are metal and designed for wig materials) and/or a wig comb and carefully brush the bangs. That should help them lie a bit better. Especially when a wig first comes out of the package it came in, it will definitely need some TLC, careful brushing to get it looking nice.

Hope that helps!!
Special Needs and Compliance DH for Acen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
Acen 2014: 50s Sailor Mercury, Agent Simmons from S.H.I.E.L.D., Kim Possible, Ghostbuster, frazzled DH
Youmacon 2014: (tentative) Captain Marvelous, Agent Simmons?, Ace from Doctor Who?
Chicago TARDIS 2014: (tentative) Fourth Doctor, Ace

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My blog / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#10 User is offline   eMiLy dA oTaKu~ 

• Pip

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:14 PM

View PostSa-chan, on May 5 2009, 08:30 PM, said:

Bobby pins and putting your hair up correctly in a wig cap works ^_^

If you are unsure if you are putting your hair up correctly, google "putting on a wig tutorial" and you'll find what you need! Good luck!

Why thank you! ^_^

View PostKnitChick, on May 6 2009, 03:25 AM, said:

TC beat me to the punch on the pincurl tutorial, which is what I was going to suggest. If you look in that DA gallery, Taeliac also has wonderful tutorials on putting on the wig cap and wig too. Helped me BIG TIME when I first started cosplaying!

Wigs tend to be designed with a little elasticity at the nape of the neck. What I did when my hair was that length was take some hair at the front and do at least four pincurls at the front of my head, just above my forehead. Then I braided the rest of my hair and folded the braid up so the only bump was right in the center of my head at my neck. Then you put on the wig cap, tuck in all the little flyaways. Put the wig on forehead first, then stretch it around that bump of hair.

It does take a little practice, especially when you're not used to wigs. Used to take me half an hour or so to get a wig on. Now I can pincurl my whole head (which is what I do now that my hair's shorter) and get the wig on in like ten minutes or less.

As far as the bangs I'd suggest getting a wig brush (do NOT use a normal hairbrush! Wig brushes are metal and designed for wig materials) and/or a wig comb and carefully brush the bangs. That should help them lie a bit better. Especially when a wig first comes out of the package it came in, it will definitely need some TLC, careful brushing to get it looking nice.

Hope that helps!!

It really does, thank you! =D
[

#11 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:24 PM

I don't know what you've read but for every wig I wear I always put my hair into at least 2 french braids then wrap the part that's not attached to my scalp around my head to keep everything smooth. Even the longest hair can work this way.

A more detailed explanation:
- Put your hair into at least 2 - 4 french braids
- When you've reached the end of your hair, continue braiding as normal
- Take the extra braided part not on your scalp and run it toward the front of your head parallel to the french braid it came from til you get to the front of your head. Bobby pin it flat there and run the braid back down. Continue in this pattern for however long your hair is.

Basically - you are doing this: http://www.buffalowalkingwoman.com/images/...ench_braids.jpg

Also - if your hair is short enough...you can do this: http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/images/...cs/clfrbuns.jpg

The buns won't poke out so it'll still all be smooth
A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
CURRENTLY SELLING ANIME/MANGA/WALLSCROLLS! PM FOR MORE INFORMATION!
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#12 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:46 PM

I don't know what you've read but for every wig I wear I always put my hair into at least 2 french braids then wrap the part that's not attached to my scalp around my head to keep everything smooth. Even the longest hair can work this way.

A more detailed explanation:
- Put your hair into at least 2 - 4 french braids
- When you've reached the end of your hair, continue braiding as normal
- Take the extra braided part not on your scalp and run it toward the front of your head parallel to the french braid it came from til you get to the front of your head. Bobby pin it flat there and run the braid back down. Continue in this pattern for however long your hair is.

Basically - you are doing this: http://www.buffalowalkingwoman.com/images/...ench_braids.jpg

Also - if your hair is short enough...you can do this: http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/images/...cs/clfrbuns.jpg

The buns won't poke out so it'll still all be smooth
A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
CURRENTLY SELLING ANIME/MANGA/WALLSCROLLS! PM FOR MORE INFORMATION!
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users