#61 User is offline   Valencia Crowe 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 17679

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:52 PM

View PostCryptoknight, on May 11 2009, 08:43 PM, said:

Glad to help. Please have him contact me.. tabletopgaming at acen dot org

I'll be glad to work with him to fit his adventure in the schedule, and I think that would qualify as a panelists badge or something similar...

I even know a bunch of 3.5 hardcore players (most of them were running 4.0 at the con for me) who would probably be willing to playtest the adventure for him and provide critical feedback.

Well thank you very much! I will let him know right away and have him contact you right way. I am sure he will be very happy once he hears this. Especially when I tell him that there are some 3.5 players there. I am gonna try and get him to try 'fail.0' though. XD
"Nothing good can ever come from staying with normal people" -Harry MacDougal

#62 User is offline   tweaker 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 6642

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:59 PM

I only witnessed two things go wrong:

1) the inability to line up for Soap Bubble, which lead to the big cluster of people in front of the Hyatt doors

2) the designated smoking area, where folks had to walk through it, and if you were in a line outside, you had to stand in it

Two things that you guys did right that was usually screwed up:

1) you mailed my badge to me before the con, and I lived out of state, so kudos

2) the events started on time

#63 User is offline   Weighted Companion Cube 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 18530

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:28 PM

First of all, it's a huge credit to ACEN that my problem is one of communication.

The "no camera, no bags" rule is a seismic difference than most concerts, and every other of the 7 ACEN's I've attended. The problem wasn't small, I saw many people hear the shouting IRT and get this haggered, sometimes broken expression as they relinquished their spot in line to go back to their rooms. And while I don't doubt the care and responsibility that IRT had by vowing to protect the bags, shouting doesn't effuse crowds with relaxation, assurance, or even information. It conveys the negative, which was unnecessary. Signage is usually a problem at ACEN, but it would be worth a banner or a poster board near the entry to the ballroom hallway. It was a large change in ACEN policy, and as someone who doesn't wear a particularly large or naughty costume, I'm not as inclined to read it as someone who's re-installed Windows a dozen times will read the EULA (which I do, I empathize with the many who do not). LOUD DOESN'T SOUND LOUD, IT SOUNDS ANGRY, AND EVEN IF I WAS GIVING AWAY HUGS AND CUPCAKES, NO ONE IS HAPPY SO MUCH AS TENSE. See? It's a communication thing. IMAGINE IF I WAS ASKING FOR YOUR BAG TO COME WITH ME OR GO AWAY.

Adding to that was the fact that with such an excellent badge mailing, I didn't feel the need for the ACEN bag. I grabbed the simple white sheet for the program. I doubt my concern is marginal, and I hope there can be better communication for something that is a very large change from the conventional. The forums are a great source of info for the die-hards, but that's not the majority of attendees.

Now because I am being critical, I will point out a few areas where I was blown away, and why this con will get my money in 2010.

- phenomenal badge mailing
- great selection of panels (not perfect, but considerably better than past years).
- top notch video room selections
- water, water everywhere so let's all have a drink: seriously well-stocked ACEN.
- mostly polite IRT (a few years running, but still worth complimenting)

And finally, this felt like the first year that the Hyatt was genuinely happy to have us here. The staff felt different. In previous years I've gotten better service when I came in during the con wearing a suit and tie (which I did once after a Friday interview). I received the same level of service as an executive this year when I was in a sillyt costume. Service was unflinching, polite, and ready for anything. The buffet at the in-hotel restaurant and its discount got my money, FOUR TIMES. I felt welcome in a professional hotel, and you better believe i tipped well. I hope hope hope this continues, because it's service like this that will affect my travel decisions as I gain in years an income. I will be writing them a formal thank you letter. I felt welcome by the hotel staff, and such service will make me a Hyatt, and an ACEN, customer for a very long time.

This post has been edited by Weighted Companion Cube: 11 May 2009 - 08:33 PM

#64 User is offline   ninjaxllama 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 17215

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:29 PM

I would also like signs that point more directly to where things are located like the gaming room and the panels. We kind of had to wander around a little and guess where it might be. Maybe have one of those big ones they have at the mall where they have a big map with numbers and the names.

and I was confused cause I was trying to meet someone by the main doors of the inside of the hyatt since it was cold outside, but the underground groove was going on at the same time. As i was walking towards it someone stops me and tells me they don't want props in the rave. And i was like huh? I'm not going to the rave. And he asks where I am going and i was like over by the doors to meet someone and then finally he tells me that they weren't allowing people to go over there because of the rave. Maybe there could have been a sign or something saying that you can only go past that point if you're going to the rave. It could have saved us both time.
[color="#9932CC"]
ACen 2011 cosplay: Kakashi and Hiro from Gravitation
ACen 2012 cosplay: Hotohori from Fushigi Yugi, Kakashi, Tseng from ff7
ACen 2013 cosplay: Professor Chaos from South Park, Raven from Teen Titans, and Scott Pilgrim
ACen 2014 cosplay: Butters from South Park Stick of Truth, Him from Powerpuff Girls, and Scott Pilgrim
I am the Forum Llama...Beware my cute and fuzzy exterior

#65 User is offline   Kasemei 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 5705

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:56 PM

The only gripe I really have at ACen this year is just how late Panel Programming was with releasing the schedule. The schedule was released quite late this year, and was pretty much frozen from the time it was released. I was quite sure that when I submitted my panels I had firmly stated for my panels to not be put on specific events that I was hosting/attending. However, both of my panels were scheduled on two of my events. When I had emailed the Department regarding it, I got an email from someone that was quite rude, especially considering the fact that it didn't even ADDRESS me personally, rather addressed Will English and was just sent also to me. Later I got a response from the department head, whom informed me that they were able to allow me the choice of three different time slots for my two panels. Friday 1-2PM, and Saturday and Sunday 8-9AM. Considering that half of my panelists were not going to be there on Friday that early, I took the Saturday and Sunday slots. Unfortunately, I was unable to run my Sunday Panel of Time to Learn...Japanese! due to some unforeseen circumstances.

I am extremely grateful that the Frank Ketter took the time to reply to my email calmly and get it all sorted out, but I do wish that this could have been handled earlier. I know a friend of mine was in a panel that he specifically requested not to clash with the masquerade, but it definetly clashed, and I wish that this year we could have had a few weeks advance notice to see if we could switch times with other panels and the like because I know we had that ability last year. I do know that panel programming was extremely busy this year, but it is a suggestion for next year.

I do feel like badge compensation was a little bit more confusing this year the last year, with the whole "Staff badge vs service to the con badge" thing. I know that a few of my friends that were comped under my events had problems getting their badges. Luckily, the problem was resolved quickly. I didn't really get the whole issue of picking the badge up with your department head or picking them up at panel operations. Perhaps there could just be a room for badge pickup?

Other then that, the only other problem I had was events running a bit late. ^^

I felt like IRT was hugely improved as compared to last year. Granted, there were a few IRT that I felt were on a bit of a power trip, and I wish I caught their names or something, but I didn't. However, as an entity IRT was fantastic this year, so thank you.

I'd like to take a quick moment to thank both Rosa and Will for their time and effort that they put into Cosplay Chess with me. Without them, the event would not have run. They were both so cooperative and it made me so happy that I could finally run it. ^^

Overall, Great Job ACen!
Floating around the forums every so often.

Cosplays for 2011: Ciel Phantomhive Ballgown from Kuroshitsuji, Toph Bei Fong Fire Nation Disguise from Avatar: The Last Airbender, Revolutionary Girl Utena Schoolgirl outfit, and Meiling Hong from the Touhou Project.

#66 User is offline   tweaker 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 6642

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:03 PM

One more gripe, but it's super minor. The schedule listed panel numbers, but the map listed panel letters.

#67 User is offline   Cherry_Wolf 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 2860

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:06 PM

I emailed most of my gripes to the acen feedback email because it doesn't need to be on the forums (they weren't necessarily ugly, just a lot tl;dr)

BUT!

I would like to know this, in case whoever reads the email does not know-

Staff members who occupied Executive Wing VIP Suite Room 2040... I am looking at you!

Learn to shut your god forsaken door when you want to throw a little party. My sister and I barely got any sleep because of you guys being loud with your door open!!!

I don't care who you are, staff or not, shut you fricking door if you want to party. It is disrespectful to the other hotel patrons who might actually want to sleep.

And if you're wondering why I'm blaming staff? I saw Staff members leave/walk into the room. And, heck, it's hard not to notice the blue staff shirts when walking into my room when they have the door wide open.

I am very sore about this problem because I don't know how many times staff has told other convention goers to be quiet in their hotel room and if you're going to party, try to keep it down.

So yeah, I figured I'd let the people who ever roomed in VIP suite 2040, that next year... remember that you aren't the only ones in the hotel.
Possible Cosplays-
Takanashi Rikka - Chuunibyou (95% done)
Onoda Sakamichi - Yowamushi Pedal(90%)
Tokino - Lamento: Beyond the Void(75% done)

#68 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:27 PM

View PostCherry_Wolf, on May 11 2009, 10:06 PM, said:

I emailed most of my gripes to the acen feedback email because it doesn't need to be on the forums (they weren't necessarily ugly, just a lot tl;dr)

BUT!

I would like to know this, in case whoever reads the email does not know-

Staff members who occupied Executive Wing VIP Suite Room 2040... I am looking at you!

Learn to shut your god forsaken door when you want to throw a little party. My sister and I barely got any sleep because of you guys being loud with your door open!!!

I don't care who you are, staff or not, shut you fricking door if you want to party. It is disrespectful to the other hotel patrons who might actually want to sleep.

And if you're wondering why I'm blaming staff? I saw Staff members leave/walk into the room. And, heck, it's hard not to notice the blue staff shirts when walking into my room when they have the door wide open.

I am very sore about this problem because I don't know how many times staff has told other convention goers to be quiet in their hotel room and if you're going to party, try to keep it down.

So yeah, I figured I'd let the people who ever roomed in VIP suite 2040, that next year... remember that you aren't the only ones in the hotel.

I didn't attend any parties or events at all (I actually tend to avoid those like the plague), BUT - and please, don't take this the wrong way, I'm merely curious - did you or anyone in your room go to that other room to ask them to quiet down? Or call on IRT or the hotel staff?
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#69 User is offline   ImNewHere 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 18485

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:38 PM

My biggest concern was the lines and the fact that events did not start on time. For instance, Anime Hell. It started really late, and because of that, and the line not moving until it was late a whole bunch of us got rained on.
For ACen 2012 pics go to http://www.scottyspot.com/acen2012.htm. If you want a full size pic PM me with an email address and tell me which one you would like.

I'm the Emperor of the Left Half of the Universe. I also have cool non-con pics here ---> http://voice0freason...t.com/gallery/?

I need a girlfriend.... No, really.

#70 User is offline   Cherry_Wolf 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 2860

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:44 PM

View PostSaphrinka, on May 11 2009, 10:27 PM, said:

I didn't attend any parties or events at all (I actually tend to avoid those like the plague), BUT - and please, don't take this the wrong way, I'm merely curious - did you or anyone in your room go to that other room to ask them to quiet down? Or call on IRT or the hotel staff?

It was around 1-2am and I was too tired/aggravated to call anyone, and I've had bad experience in the past with telling people to quiet down, especially with alcohol involved, so I just clenched my teeth down and beared it really. I was tempted to call IRT/Hotel Staff, but I merely had looked at my sister and said 'if this continues on to Saturday, I'm going to call someone.' Luckily the party only lasted Friday. If anyone had partied on Saturday, it was either after I fell asleep or it ended before. XD

But despite that, I just wanted to make a point by posting this. It shouldn't matter who you are at the con, you should always be conscious of who you may be disturbing and to always shut your door for parties... lol
Possible Cosplays-
Takanashi Rikka - Chuunibyou (95% done)
Onoda Sakamichi - Yowamushi Pedal(90%)
Tokino - Lamento: Beyond the Void(75% done)

#71 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 591

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:46 PM

View PostCherry_Wolf, on May 11 2009, 10:44 PM, said:

It was around 1-2am and I was too tired/aggravated to call anyone, and I've had bad experience in the past with telling people to quiet down, especially with alcohol involved, so I just clenched my teeth down and beared it really. I was tempted to call IRT/Hotel Staff, but I merely had looked at my sister and said 'if this continues on to Saturday, I'm going to call someone.' Luckily the party only lasted Friday. If anyone had partied on Saturday, it was either after I fell asleep or it ended before. XD

But despite that, I just wanted to make a point by posting this. It shouldn't matter who you are at the con, you should always be conscious of who you may be disturbing and to always shut your door for parties... lol

Indeed.

You should have called us or the hotel, though, and we would have taken care of it cheerfully. Heck, for you, I'd have gone up and done it myself.
Eli "Rabbi" Morris-Heft: IRT Assistant Department Head
SecDiv Dispatch 2004, IRT Communications ADH 2005-06, IRT Dispatch Supervisor 2007-2010, IRT Dispatch Commander 2011, IRT ADH 2012-, IT Senior Sysadmin 2007-2011, ACen Clergy, 2004-

"Two-three the count with nobody on / He hit a high fly into the stands / Roundin' third, he was headed for home / It was a brown-eyed handsome man (that won the game) / It was a brown-eyed handsome man." (Brown-Eyed Handsome Man by Chuck Berry)

I <3 People Who <3 IRT!Want to help make IRT even better? Apply next year!

#72 User is offline   Ohki 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8930

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:53 PM

Forgive me if it's already been brought up; I'm too tired ATM to read through for it, but I have a couple gripes related to panel scheduling. First; why did the Axis Powers Hetalia panel get one of the smallest rooms possible? It's not licensed, true, but APH is a really REALLY big deal and deserved a room at least the size that the D. Gray-man panel got. Speaking of which, D. Gray-man panel at 8 AM was NOT cool. Finally, why no panel that was specifically ran by Colleen Clinkenbeard and labeled as such? I missed out on her entirely because I couldn't figure out which panels she was involved with if any, and I wanted to be more involved with getting to know her than just an autograph session =/.
South Korea likes breasts.
Ukraine has breasts.
She has them in spades.
If South Korea and Ukraine were to hook up...
Then South Korea would never have a shortage of breasts ever again.

#73 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:57 PM

View PostCherry_Wolf, on May 11 2009, 10:44 PM, said:

*nodnod* I feel badly for you; this was my first year staffing after several years of attending cons, and I've always been of the mind that there's always the chance that people nearby will want a quiet period of rest - whether they're con attendees or not. (Taking to heart that the Hyatt O'Hare is designed to board business execs and other VIPs, and I'd rather not risk peeving anyone of that scale! Especially) if I were to get a room on that floor!) I've also had to deal with late-night drunken parties in close proximity to my room - this happened very frequently during my senior year in college, and from my suitemate no less. <_<

My recommendation is with Rabbi: the next time that happens, put in a call to someone to let them know. I'm willing to bet that you weren't the only ones being kept awake, but the only way to get that to stop is to make it known to someone that others are being disturbed. Sleep is a valuable thing to have during cons, and no one should be having a loud party at the expense of your health and comfort.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#74 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Costume Events Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:03 PM

View PostCherry_Wolf, on May 12 2009, 04:06 AM, said:

I'm sorry...but...... could you tell us what exactly was going on? What night was this? What kind of party was it? Was there drinking? Was there loud music?

Cause I can't stop laughing over this.

#75 User is offline   Valencia Crowe 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:05 PM

There was a HUGE Pokemon group just sitting in the middle of the video game room on Saturday after 5pm I believe and I did not like it because it would be a fire hazard and no one really did anything about it

#76 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 6130

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:10 PM

View PostValencia Crowe, on May 12 2009, 12:05 AM, said:

There was a HUGE Pokemon group just sitting in the middle of the video game room on Saturday after 5pm I believe and I did not like it because it would be a fire hazard and no one really did anything about it

In what way? Were they blocking exit doors or something?
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2007 - Present - Forums Manager
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

#77 User is offline   Valencia Crowe 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:14 PM

View PostAlkaren Hyralt, on May 12 2009, 12:10 AM, said:

In what way? Were they blocking exit doors or something?

They weren't blocking the exit doors, but they were by the video games on the left side (when you enter the room) and they were blocking paths.

#78 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:36 PM

View PostValencia Crowe, on May 12 2009, 12:14 AM, said:

They weren't blocking the exit doors, but they were by the video games on the left side (when you enter the room) and they were blocking paths.

Sorry; i'm unaware of what really any room outside of main programming alpha and beta looks like at the con.

However if they were blocking paths, for future reference, you should have found the person in charge at the time (ADH or DH) and voiced your concern. :]
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"

#79 User is offline   Valencia Crowe 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:53 PM

View PostAlkaren Hyralt, on May 12 2009, 12:36 AM, said:

Sorry; i'm unaware of what really any room outside of main programming alpha and beta looks like at the con.

However if they were blocking paths, for future reference, you should have found the person in charge at the time (ADH or DH) and voiced your concern. :]

I talked to someone who was working a tournament and he just kind of shrugged it off. :\

#80 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:05 AM

View PostValencia Crowe, on May 12 2009, 12:53 AM, said:

I talked to someone who was working a tournament and he just kind of shrugged it off. :\

:[

In the future, look at the person's badge. Our badges not only have our name on it, but also what...rank you could say, on it. Make a note of the name of th person that shrugged you off and report it to their boss (someone with ADH or higher on their badge.)
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#81 User is offline   Valencia Crowe 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:09 AM

View PostAlkaren Hyralt, on May 12 2009, 01:05 AM, said:

:[

In the future, look at the person's badge. Our badges not only have our name on it, but also what...rank you could say, on it. Make a note of the name of th person that shrugged you off and report it to their boss (someone with ADH or higher on their badge.)

All right. I will make sure to do that in the future. :)

#82 User is offline   gavv 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 6

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:10 AM

View PostImNewHere, on May 12 2009, 03:38 AM, said:

My biggest concern was the lines and the fact that events did not start on time. For instance, Anime Hell. It started really late, and because of that, and the line not moving until it was late a whole bunch of us got rained on.

all i have to say is, blame the bands.

gavv

#83 User is offline   Karmada 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 15495

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:07 AM

I actually had a very enjoyable time at the convention this year - things went very smoothly - however I did have one major gripe: Security Staffers from the Convention Center.

I know it was out of your hands, IRT, but if there's some way to inform them what color badges do what, that'd be great. I was in the Artist's Alley, and I needed to leave to get changed for the ball on Friday, and wanted to return to help tear down my table with my other assistants (it's how the timing of all this worked out). The security officer refused to let me in the door, even though I had an artist's alley badge. I explained to him that he could ask any of the IRT/ACEN staffers and they would tell him to let me in, but he said something along the lines of "I don't want to deal with their staff, they're worthless."

:( Not only was I irritated that he didn't seem to have any respect for the IRT or ACEN Staff, but the fact he had NO IDEA that I was technically a vendor of a sort (artist), and NEEDED to get in.

Also, the fact I was pretty much interrogated by him (and he treated me like I was trying to trick him/lie) did not sit well with me.

IRT was great though. They were VERY HELPFUL.

#84 User is offline   Zerox20 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 1323

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:27 AM

View PostKasemei, on May 12 2009, 02:56 AM, said:

The only gripe I really have at ACen this year is just how late Panel Programming was with releasing the schedule. The schedule was released quite late this year, and was pretty much frozen from the time it was released. I was quite sure that when I submitted my panels I had firmly stated for my panels to not be put on specific events that I was hosting/attending. However, both of my panels were scheduled on two of my events. When I had emailed the Department regarding it, I got an email from someone that was quite rude, especially considering the fact that it didn't even ADDRESS me personally, rather addressed Will English and was just sent also to me. Later I got a response from the department head, whom informed me that they were able to allow me the choice of three different time slots for my two panels. Friday 1-2PM, and Saturday and Sunday 8-9AM. Considering that half of my panelists were not going to be there on Friday that early, I took the Saturday and Sunday slots. Unfortunately, I was unable to run my Sunday Panel of Time to Learn...Japanese! due to some unforeseen circumstances.

I am extremely grateful that the Frank Ketter took the time to reply to my email calmly and get it all sorted out, but I do wish that this could have been handled earlier. I know a friend of mine was in a panel that he specifically requested not to clash with the masquerade, but it definetly clashed, and I wish that this year we could have had a few weeks advance notice to see if we could switch times with other panels and the like because I know we had that ability last year. I do know that panel programming was extremely busy this year, but it is a suggestion for next year.

I do feel like badge compensation was a little bit more confusing this year the last year, with the whole "Staff badge vs service to the con badge" thing. I know that a few of my friends that were comped under my events had problems getting their badges. Luckily, the problem was resolved quickly. I didn't really get the whole issue of picking the badge up with your department head or picking them up at panel operations. Perhaps there could just be a room for badge pickup?

Other then that, the only other problem I had was events running a bit late. ^^

I felt like IRT was hugely improved as compared to last year. Granted, there were a few IRT that I felt were on a bit of a power trip, and I wish I caught their names or something, but I didn't. However, as an entity IRT was fantastic this year, so thank you.

I'd like to take a quick moment to thank both Rosa and Will for their time and effort that they put into Cosplay Chess with me. Without them, the event would not have run. They were both so cooperative and it made me so happy that I could finally run it. ^^

Overall, Great Job ACen!

I do know if you submit a panel sometimes we do make mistakes in juggling times around cause some people can only do panels in very short windows. If its a Special event then it would go to Will English, Frank does the panel programming. As for the schedule, I had it posted on the acenpanels website and forums by 4-20-09, this was just a tentative one, This is the earliest we have EVER gotten any kind of schedule posted, usually its like 3 days before con when we do. The issue is, guests are always changing and sometimes we cannot post half completed ones due to tons of changes going on up until con. I wish there was an easier way, but I always push to get a finalized web viewable schedule every year ASAP, so I can post it and get people to e-mail panelprogramming to get it fixed ahead of time. As for badges. "Comp/Service to con/Panelists" badges are all the same technically. We had tons of random badges this year in Panel Ops, I have no idea where some of them even came from, if we had Special Events badges, Panelist badges and random other badges. All I know is, we need to get this system FIXED by next year, comps is even beginning to confuse us in Panel Programming.
Jared "Zerox20" Sangeorzan - Panel Programming ADH - ACen 2003/Present
E: panelprogramming@ACen.org || Panel Programming FAQ

#85 User is offline   AA8 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 29942

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:39 AM

Out of my three years, ACEN 09 appeared to be the best organized with many previous suggestions being utilized. Thumbs up as a whole.

My one suggestion would be to implement an

Emergency Badge Replacement Option

I happened to lose my badge around 10pm on Saturday night. After talking to IRT and guest relations, I was politely and apologetically told that there was ABSOLUTELY NOTHING anyone could do for me. This was because registration was closed.

I was given the option to leave my phone number and if someone turned in my badge, they would call me. Luckily, my badge was turned in and all went on; however, I would really suggest some sort of option to deal with situations like this.

Let me lay out the following situation

1.Registration closes at 7:00pm on Saturday
2. Sh*t happens and congoer loses badge at 7:30pm
3. Congoer is unable to attend any convention events until 8:00AM Sunday morning. (Basically loosing out on up to 12 hours of activities -> I.E. a very significant portion of the Con)

NOTE: I fully understand it is the congoers responsibility to note loose their badge, but it is not like anyone would do it on purpose.

Therefore, I would suggest having an emergency badge replacement system in place that could handle situations where someone doesnt want to just sit around and hope their badge is turned in.

Possible Suggestions

1. Likely a manual system similar to what was utilized ACEN 08 when the con printers broke (whether handwritten badges or a special preprinted badge with "replacement printed on it" or something else)
2. Cash only as I am sure credit card machines would not be an option
3. Charge full con rates such $55 for a full three day pass, the daily rate, or perhaps a set fee.

Not necessary, but an interesting extra option
4. Badge option could be a temp badge to utilize until registration opened. I would work as above, but the a set fee would be treated as a deposit on the temp badge. Therefore when the temp badge could be turned in when the congoer received a reprinted badge (the next morning) and the deposit minus the $20 reprint fee.

NOTE: I see see an argument against this would be it would enable people to show up after registration and get a badge, etc. To avoid this, the fee for an emergency badge could be raised to discourage this behavior.

I just know that Saturday night, I felt very discouraged when I was informed that nothing could be done for me even though I had a wallet full of cash and was perfectly willing to pay full rates for a replacement badge (versus running the chance that my badge might not be found),

#86 User is offline   jenchan 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 30

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:47 AM

now may threads do we need for this? Anyway:

CHARGING FOR BATTLETECH was just wrong.
I already paid for the convention, why should I have to pay for this? Needless to say I didn't participate in this.

The Concert.
First ACen, thank you for getting m.o.v.e.! Wonderful band...however, I must say that the sound for the concert on Friday evening was just awful, and did not do the band justice. "Loud" doesn't make a good concert. The bass really needed to be turned down(the subwoofers were buzzing half of the concert and it was just really overpowering), and just the overall volume level was at times, canceling out the beautiful vocals of Yuri, and at times she seemed to be struggling just to be heard though all the "boom boom". Her vocals only came out true and clear when the music paused. It all seemed just like noise, instead of music, and that's not good for the artist at all.

I understand that the room we were in wasn't probabily the best for acoustics, but adjustments can be made to equipment to compensate.

Second, the line for the concert was managed poorly. I think we went from the back of the line to the near front because once the line went into the hotel from outside, there was no direction as to where to go, so we just mingled in and no one complained.

Posted to the ACEN forums:
http://www.acen.org/...showtopic=29855

The Program Books
I didn't care much for them at all. Why do we need two books? I would like one book with all the complete information. There wasn't a map of the dealers room/exhibit hall ANYWHERE that I could find.

I would suggest a small, perhaps manga-sized book with all the maps, panel descriptions and the various information contained in the large and small program books combined.
Posted to the ACEN froums:
http://www.acen.org/forums/index.php?s= ... t&p=722640

Numbering the exibit hall isles
I'd like to suggest for next year that the isles in the exhibit hall/dealers room/artists alley be clearly marked with signs indicating what isle you were in. It wasn't easy to find what you were looking for...with only a number in the pocket program guide and without a map. squinting to see the dealers signs were not much help, and the numbering system made little sense.

Posted to the ACEN forums:
http://www.acen.org/...showtopic=29892
Jenn
President of Japanese Anime People of Chicago, a local, independent Chicagoland anime club.
website- MyAnimeList - Tumblr
Probably the oldest member of the ST☆RISH fanclub.
Prince of Tennis ACen Cosplay Group Network on FACEBOOK

#87 Guest_SongstressLenne_*

• Group: Guests*
  • Member No.:

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:57 AM

View PostCuddles116, on May 11 2009, 06:47 PM, said:

There were signs, my overall point is the quality of the signs every year are what is last minute thought signs, when I'm sure someone on staff somewhere has printer access and could quickly just print signs instead of always relying on doodling them up in the end.

I couldn't help but think of Alice in Wonderland and a crossroad when looking at the Easel that had a bunch of hand colored ones all in different sizes/colors/styles etc. It isn't less appealing to just use Black ink, 72 size, Classic Times New Roman font and list which of those posted signs go left and which go right.

Image of one of the sign areas I am talking about, that just looks congested and takes longer to read then just something insanely plain like

<---
groups
pay station
at con reg

--->
Will call
Special Needs

would be.

I can talk with registration on this for next year but to my knowledge these were done at home. A lot of us I know have laptops and it might be hard to print out everything at home. I am not making excuses for the signage I am just having you understand from our side. It's a lot to print out at home or at work without getting caught, but I will have it looked into. [This I THINK came out of the two girls that made these pockets].But I know their reasoning for colors if it was all black and bold there would have been complaints on the lack of flair for this. See what I mean...it's hard to do a win/win situation xD

I'll just ask to have colored paper for each station sign and have it printed black. Sound good?

View PostAA8, on May 12 2009, 10:39 AM, said:

Out of my three years, ACEN 09 appeared to be the best organized with many previous suggestions being utilized. Thumbs up as a whole.

My one suggestion would be to implement an

Emergency Badge Replacement Option

I happened to lose my badge around 10pm on Saturday night. After talking to IRT and guest relations, I was politely and apologetically told that there was ABSOLUTELY NOTHING anyone could do for me. This was because registration was closed.

I was given the option to leave my phone number and if someone turned in my badge, they would call me. Luckily, my badge was turned in and all went on; however, I would really suggest some sort of option to deal with situations like this.

Let me lay out the following situation

1.Registration closes at 7:00pm on Saturday
2. Sh*t happens and congoer loses badge at 7:30pm
3. Congoer is unable to attend any convention events until 8:00AM Sunday morning. (Basically loosing out on up to 12 hours of activities -> I.E. a very significant portion of the Con)

NOTE: I fully understand it is the congoers responsibility to note loose their badge, but it is not like anyone would do it on purpose.

Therefore, I would suggest having an emergency badge replacement system in place that could handle situations where someone doesnt want to just sit around and hope their badge is turned in.

Possible Suggestions

1. Likely a manual system similar to what was utilized ACEN 08 when the con printers broke (whether handwritten badges or a special preprinted badge with "replacement printed on it" or something else)
2. Cash only as I am sure credit card machines would not be an option
3. Charge full con rates such $55 for a full three day pass, the daily rate, or perhaps a set fee.

Not necessary, but an interesting extra option
4. Badge option could be a temp badge to utilize until registration opened. I would work as above, but the a set fee would be treated as a deposit on the temp badge. Therefore when the temp badge could be turned in when the congoer received a reprinted badge (the next morning) and the deposit minus the $20 reprint fee.

NOTE: I see see an argument against this would be it would enable people to show up after registration and get a badge, etc. To avoid this, the fee for an emergency badge could be raised to discourage this behavior.

I just know that Saturday night, I felt very discouraged when I was informed that nothing could be done for me even though I had a wallet full of cash and was perfectly willing to pay full rates for a replacement badge (versus running the chance that my badge might not be found),

I am not sure if this was posted I'll look but, at the information booth we had someone after registration hours to help with badge problems. We figured that would have helped out with those that lost badges between late night events.

This post has been edited by SongstressLenne: 12 May 2009 - 10:02 AM
Reason for edit: merging posts

#88 User is offline   jenchan 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 30

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:07 AM

View PostSongstressLenne, on May 12 2009, 10:57 AM, said:

I can talk with registration on this for next year but to my knowledge these were done at home. A lot of us I know have laptops and it might be hard to print out everything at home. I am not making excuses for the signage I am just having you understand from our side. It's a lot to print out at home or at work without getting caught, but I will have it looked into. [This I THINK came out of the two girls that made these pockets].But I know their reasoning for colors if it was all black and bold there would have been complaints on the lack of flair for this. See what I mean...it's hard to do a win/win situation xD

I'll just ask to have colored paper for each station sign and have it printed black. Sound good?

Well, how about get a professional printing company (the one who prints the books) to print the isle signs, or you know, there is always FEDEX Kinkos/Office Print centers and people with actual PC's and printers to help you, all you have to do is ask. Just a thought. Thank you!
Jenn
President of Japanese Anime People of Chicago, a local, independent Chicagoland anime club.
website- MyAnimeList - Tumblr
Probably the oldest member of the ST☆RISH fanclub.
Prince of Tennis ACen Cosplay Group Network on FACEBOOK

#89 User is offline   AA8 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 29942

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:09 AM

View PostSongstressLenne, on May 12 2009, 10:57 AM, said:

I am not sure if this was posted I'll look but, at the information booth we had someone after registration hours to help with badge problems. We figured that would have helped out with those that lost badges between late night events.

I went to the guest services desk down the hall from the main ball room and to the IRT staff station between 10-11pm on Saturday night and both had the same answers for me. I even asked if there was anyone else I could talk to about it and was still told that there was nothing anyone could do. :(

So perhaps I just needed to go to a different area or the information just needed to be better communicated?

#90 User is offline   longsii 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 4923

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:15 AM

"jenchan" said:

The Concert.
First ACen, thank you for getting m.o.v.e.! Wonderful band...however, I must say that the sound for the concert on Friday evening was just awful, and did not do the band justice. "Loud" doesn't make a good concert. The bass really needed to be turned down(the subwoofers were buzzing half of the concert and it was just really overpowering), and just the overall volume level was at times, canceling out the beautiful vocals of Yuri, and at times she seemed to be struggling just to be heard though all the "boom boom". Her vocals only came out true and clear when the music paused. It all seemed just like noise, instead of music, and that's not good for the artist at all.

I understand that the room we were in wasn't probabily the best for acoustics, but adjustments can be made to equipment to compensate.

I'm going to have to support this one as well. The sound was all bass and the reverb was not happy at all. The volume level seemed to be trying to compensate for the bad balance.
On a more personal note, while retrieving some equipment from tech on thursday they were running sound tests on the speakers. While walking back to get it, being only a few feet from the speakers, they were flicked on a full volume knocking me back several steps and leaving my vision waving and my ears ringing for nearly an hour. As cold as it sounds, if your Sound guys are too retarded to realized what the 140+ they were pumping out of those speakers does to people at that range, especially suddenly (because it was off then full volume as if it were just unmuted), then they need to stay the hell away from the equipment, that kind of power is actually dangerous to the body. To knock a 400lbs man sideways several steps is rediculous. I am very displeased with that fact and hope to see actions taken to insure such stupidity never happens again. The bad balance is half the reason I don't go to many dances/concerts anymore, being assulted by speakers during sound test... is just another reason.
<span style='color:"Red"'>Leader of the Cat-boy alliance</span>
Currently looking for fangirls for cuddling.
"You know.... biting makes me shiver."-me
"If you bite me. I bite back... but then I cuddle and lick and kiss...maybe I'm a bit fluffy." - me
"Me?? oh... Think cute cuddly playful cat-boy plus Alucard from Hellsing or Sephy...or if you must D. Yeah... I'm that awesome."-me
"Sometimes the lightest touches can torment more than the harshest whip. Don't believe me? Try me." -me
-snuggles with Soubi and Kio plushies- .... -loooks around quickly- I'M NOT GAY!!!

• 22 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users