Gripes Got something you want fixed...

#541 User is offline   Pashy-chan 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 16936

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:34 AM

View Postmanga1, on 24 May 2011 - 01:24 AM, said:

All the people having to be taken by ems due to dehydration, I did not see soo many last year if only once when I went to the hardcore last year, Part of dehydration is due to people drinking, but, also the idiots that use extacy, and drugs, they are one of the major causes at real raves for the dehydration, can you not keep an eye on people for drug use, and people who act stupid being generaly annoying because they are drugged up, on group of guys in front of me kept shouting crystal meth crystal meth I am on crystal meth as well as his other two buddys jumping up and down, in same fashion. This is not only annoying, and they get in the way, but, someone needs to take a look when someone using drugs in such a rampant fashion.

This. Seriously, while I know it isn't IRT's duty to handle such a situation, what are we congoers suppose to do, get out of line and contact authority ourselves? Hell, the one time I even tried to mention it to a volunteer, I was responded with a "NOT NOW. GET BACK IN LINE. SINGLE FILE LINE."; Shouting in my face, seriously? Well excuse me for having asthma and practically choking on smoke (And no, not cigarrette smoke.)

I mean, don't even get me started about the guys screaming about Molly AS they were entering the Soap Bubble. I was a good 20 people behind them and I could hear it, there is no way IRT didn't.. The drug use this year was so apperant that it was ridiculous, I can't tell you how many times people casually stood in line asking each other for ecstacy. Literally, I can't tell you. And while I do understand IRT can't catch every little thing, nor has the time to, when you have people shouting about crystal meth and molly to the TOP of their lungs, it's kind of hard to believe that it went totally unnoticed.. I just really wish this was something that could've been addressed. For me, it absolutely killed my Saturday night experience this year.

View Postmanga1, on 24 May 2011 - 01:24 AM, said:

O and for those that complain about quality, then if you think you can come up with a better skit, and prepare it then go for it, but, dont complain about me, I worked on my skit for a long time and I start rehersing months in advance. You dont have to like my dance if you dont want its a free contry, but if you think its soo low in quality of skit then come up with one and do one yourself to do something about it and show us how its done, really, I encourage you to do so. Really the more the better for the quality.

And as for this.. You know, maybe I just will. xD Seriously though, I noticed there's another thread going on reguarding this matter, but as this was one of my biggest gripes, I will mention this. I honestly feel that since my first year at this con, the masquerade has forgotten the definition of "skit". If people want to dance or sing, then by all means do so.. but at least make it related to the cosplay shown, have a plot of some sort, and please please have the routine down pat. Some did this, others didn't. I just think that if this is what the skit portion of the masquerade is turning into, then maybe it should be called something else because by definition, it isn't what a skit is. @.@;; (In the other thread, someone mentioned calling it a talent show.. which made alot more sense in my opinion!)

Also, again, this isn't simply my opinion but something I heard not only amongst my friends, but throughout the audience in comments. ^^;; I just feel that as the biggest day-time Main Event, performances should be something that are auditioned for then pre-judged..and maybe even pre-pre-judged. This would not only help weed out the repitition of the performances, but also reduce the amount that are, well, completely inaudiable.. @_@;;
ACen 2011: Cosplays have been determined-ish!!!!

Iris - Pokemon Black/White ::: 75%
Female Wario ::: 10%
Ganguro Gal ::: 90%

~TekoMuto Fangirl~

Hello, my name is Poshy...

#542 User is offline   Djehuty 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 60285

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:09 PM

View PostZeta Thompson, on 10 May 2009 - 09:20 PM, said:

Ok my biggest gripe this year was the screening rooms. I love watching subtitled anime, and I applaud the diecision to use the rooms used before for screening as panel rooms. It gave us a LOT more room! The only issue is that not all of us are tall. So in the smaller rooms with more limited space the subtitles tended to be blocked by other viewers in front. Is there some way to remedy this? I could not see a uniform solution really. But my neck and back hurt after a few viewings because I had to twist like a pretzel to be able to read all of the subtitles.

I second this gripe. It was most noticeable for me when I went to the Cowboys in Giant Robots panel. I think that if the seating was arranged in a V configuration/shape there would be less rows of people for the ones in the back to look through. You should still be able to get the same number of chairs in the room as well.

#543 User is offline   Sir Viver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 45691

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:21 PM

How many thousand more attendees will it take for management to realize Acen is no longer a 5,000 person convention and has already outgrown the Hyatt years ago? How much longer before they finally move to a bigger venue?
Soul of the mind, key to life's ether...
Soul of the lost, withdrawn from its vessel...
Let strength be granted so the world might be mended...
So the world might be mended...

#544 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 591

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:25 PM

View PostSir Viver, on 25 May 2011 - 12:21 PM, said:

How many thousand more attendees will it take for management to realize Acen is no longer a 5,000 person convention and has already outgrown the Hyatt years ago? How much longer before they finally move to a bigger venue?

I can't speak specifically or officially about plans for this - partially because they are still unfinalized and partially because I am not the right person to be speaking about this and may not have up-to-date information - but we did expand into two other hotels this year, and I can say that it hasn't gone unnoticed. About all we can do, though, is expand into other hotels and into other halls in the Convention Center, because the next-largest venue in the area is McCormick place, which is (as has been said before) is not within our means.
Eli "Rabbi" Morris-Heft: IRT Assistant Department Head
SecDiv Dispatch 2004, IRT Communications ADH 2005-06, IRT Dispatch Supervisor 2007-2010, IRT Dispatch Commander 2011, IRT ADH 2012-, IT Senior Sysadmin 2007-2011, ACen Clergy, 2004-

"Two-three the count with nobody on / He hit a high fly into the stands / Roundin' third, he was headed for home / It was a brown-eyed handsome man (that won the game) / It was a brown-eyed handsome man." (Brown-Eyed Handsome Man by Chuck Berry)

I <3 People Who <3 IRT!Want to help make IRT even better? Apply next year!

#545 User is offline   skyrune83 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 29775

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:35 PM

View PostTheRabbi, on 25 May 2011 - 12:25 PM, said:

I can't speak specifically or officially about plans for this - partially because they are still unfinalized and partially because I am not the right person to be speaking about this and may not have up-to-date information - but we did expand into two other hotels this year, and I can say that it hasn't gone unnoticed. About all we can do, though, is expand into other hotels and into other halls in the Convention Center, because the next-largest venue in the area is McCormick place, which is (as has been said before) is not within our means.

Or ACen could be held twice per year. :thumbup:
www.astroth.com
www.ironpawn.com

You may know me as:
Dave Strider: Homestuck
Red Mage: Final Fantasy
Matsushita: Angel Beats
Lil' Slugger (Shounen Bat): Paranoia Agent
J.P. (Junpei): Digimon Frontier

#546 User is offline   Roark 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11290

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:35 PM

View PostSir Viver, on 25 May 2011 - 12:21 PM, said:

Please suggest a larger area venue that can support 24-hour programming and keep everyone within walking distance of events/activities.

#547 User is offline   Djehuty 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 60285

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:37 PM

View PostMystline, on 22 May 2011 - 04:44 PM, said:

1. So much disorganization. Holy crap you guys.
Certain panels that nearly every con has weren't there. - Yaoi, yuri, shoujo-ai, and shounen-ai .... They were not there and I was disappointed. Overall I didn't like the panel programming much.

Actually, I was quite disappointed about the lack of Yaoi as well :'(

#548 User is offline   Sir Viver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2011 - 01:24 PM

View PostTheRabbi, on 25 May 2011 - 12:25 PM, said:

What will happen when Acen becomes literally too crowded for people to even move, and their hand is forced to either move it to McCormick Place or not have the con altogether? Moving different events to different hotels was apparently inconvenient for a lot of people I talked to while at those events as well. It's sad that Acen is doomed to become even more crowded to the point of discomfort for everyone. Is it at least "within your means" to rent out the entire Donald E Stephens Convention Center? Because if the ghetto tactic of making everyone walk to the Doubletree or Embassy just to go to a panel or other event is the only foreseeable future for this con... it truly is a saddening outlook. :(

#549 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2011 - 01:34 PM

View PostSir Viver, on 25 May 2011 - 01:24 PM, said:

Because if the ghetto tactic of making everyone walk to the Doubletree or Embassy just to go to a panel or other event is the only foreseeable future for this con... it truly is a saddening outlook.

Like I said, I can't speak to what is within our means and what plans there are for expansion, because it's not my area. But the question has come up before, and that's the answer we've been given.

However, that "ghetto tactic", as you say, seems to work just fine for a number of conventions, including Gen Con, which is practically in every hotel in downtown Indianapolis. (I should take a second to note here that McCormick Place is not well-situated with respect to proximity to hotels.) While we might need to make some scheduling adjustments to accommodate for walking time, I find it surprising that people would complain about walking across the street to go to a panel.

This post has been edited by TheRabbi: 25 May 2011 - 01:40 PM
Reason for edit: Added a note about McCormick Place.

SecDiv Dispatch 2004, IRT Communications ADH 2005-06, IRT Dispatch Supervisor 2007-2010, IRT Dispatch Commander 2011, IRT ADH 2012-, IT Senior Sysadmin 2007-2011, ACen Clergy, 2004-

"Two-three the count with nobody on / He hit a high fly into the stands / Roundin' third, he was headed for home / It was a brown-eyed handsome man (that won the game) / It was a brown-eyed handsome man." (Brown-Eyed Handsome Man by Chuck Berry)

#550 User is offline   Sir Viver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2011 - 01:42 PM

View PostTheRabbi, on 25 May 2011 - 01:34 PM, said:

Like I said, I can't speak to what is within our means and what plans there are for expansion, because it's not my area. But the question has come up before, and that's the answer we've been given.

However, that "ghetto tactic", as you say, seems to work just fine for a number of conventions, including Gen Con, which is practically in every hotel in downtown Indianapolis. (I should take a second to note here that McCormick Place is not well-situated with respect to proximity to hotels.) While we might need to make some scheduling adjustments to accommodate for walking time, I find it surprising that people would complain about walking across the street to go to a panel.

Probably because they're used to everything being in the same building, like it was at Old Acen.

#551 User is offline   skyrune83 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 29775

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:19 PM

View PostSir Viver, on 25 May 2011 - 01:42 PM, said:

Probably because they're used to everything being in the same building, like it was at Old Acen.

You would hate Anime North then, in Toronto - you have to walk 1/3 mile between hotels, walking alongside a busy cloverleaf intersection. And half the events are in one hotel and half in the other. Now THAT's disjointed.

But yeah, I do agree that we can use more of the convention center space, even if it means paying a little extra for it.

This post has been edited by skyrune83: 25 May 2011 - 02:24 PM

www.astroth.com
www.ironpawn.com

You may know me as:
Dave Strider: Homestuck
Red Mage: Final Fantasy
Matsushita: Angel Beats
Lil' Slugger (Shounen Bat): Paranoia Agent
J.P. (Junpei): Digimon Frontier

#552 User is offline   Ashori 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 10991

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:27 PM

Because if the ghetto tactic of making everyone walk to the Doubletree or Embassy just to go to a panel or other event is the only foreseeable future for this con... it truly is a saddening outlook. :(

You may not like it as much, but in my honest opinion, I don't mind walking from hotel to hotel and whatnot for panels. I think it's not only great exercise and good for a laugh or two when you see people driving by gawking at you, but also it allows for less crowding in the Hyatt and convention center itself since everything is spread out. Granted, all the walking around is not exactly ideal for those with outstanding health problems (I'm even including myself in that), but still, a little bit to go from the Hyatt to the Embassy or Doubletree isn't that bad. And it even allows for MORE to be done because they are able to expand into the other hotels.

Honestly, it's not THAT bad.
Cosplay Status: Maya Kitajima - Bianca Mask (Pirate Form - 100%; Glass Mask), Lucy Heartfilia (2%; Fairy Tail), Castle of Hearts Alice Liddell (100%; Kuni no Alice series)
My dA | My YouTube Page | My FF.Net Page

#553 User is offline   P-Bear 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59555

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:43 PM

crossing the street =/= difficult

(edit) UNLESS you are in a wheelchair, have difficulty getting around easily, or even if you're wearing a hefty/heavy cosplay. next time i post, i'll put myself in the shoes of others before clicking "submit"

sorry everyone :(

This post has been edited by P-Bear: 25 May 2011 - 05:57 PM

"Thursday Night Meet 'n Greet" OG (the insane one, not that pancake one)

#554 User is offline   davebb 

• EMRT
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 11282

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:43 PM

A side note about walking, it allows you to get into the fresh air if its a nice day, giving you less time exposed to "con plague" :) The walk will do you good, get the blood pumping again and get some fresh oxygen into your system. I don't think Acen will "kill itself" with overcrowding, but may reach a critical mass and then begin got plateau at that population, but as other people mentioned, with the numbers we are getting now, other convention space and hotels may become options. Not my department either, but just a logical outside in view to the sitaution. Moving to the McCormick place would be a very expensive and costly move not only in expenses but also for hotels and sleeping arrangements.
Medic 6 : ACen 2014 EMRT ConCenter Supervisor (serving since 2008)
Dave Bukowski -- NREMT-B
EMT-B / EMA
"ask not what ACen can do for you--ask what you can do for ACen"

#555 User is offline   keiichi969 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 49954

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:32 PM

You know, on the discussion of space.

http://www.rosemont...._cc_flplans.pdf

The DES is HUGE. there are a few other halls I've never seen used that are the size of hall A. (reg/dealers/AA), as well as conference centers that aren't used. So I don't see Acen outgrowing it any time soon. Its just most of that space isn't utilized.

Has anyone considered maybe moving Reg into hall B, where it can be optimized for lines and good flow, versus snaking the reg lines through the primary entrance to the dealers room/aa? this would also free up a ton of space to expand the dealers room/AA, and offer them some more floor space.

Also looking at the capacities on that diagram, wouldn't the level 1 conference rooms be a better place for some of the panels, instead of the Hilton conference rooms? they seem to be a much better fit capacity wise. Or is it just impractically expensive, compared to the hotels?

This post has been edited by keiichi969: 25 May 2011 - 03:38 PM

#556 User is offline   Roark 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:37 PM

Note: The following is not from a staff perspective. I'm taking off that hat.

Here's the issue with McCormick Place: http://goo.gl/maps/gAdO

There's exactly one hotel in reasonable walking distance. One. That hotel holds around 3200 people at most. This pushes many people at least 4-6 blocks away from the convention center for accommodations. And that walking is in much less... nice areas than around Rosemont.

This doesn't even scratch the lack of restaurants, or the lack of parking near those restaurants. McCormick has a rather nice food court, but it can get... pricey. There's still a McD's right down the street, though :)

Honestly, the satellite hotels can handle the events, if used properly. It'll take a bit of experimentation. It may mean shuffling some things around. Personally, I'd move TTG and Video Gaming to a "gaming track" area and free up those Hyatt rooms. (This would be a good use of the rooms upstairs at the con center, actually. This is in the miracle "money is no object" world, of course.)

As someone else pointed out, GenCon has used multiple hotels/areas for years without much issue. Even in Milwaukee, many of the events were in hotel space after hours. Which brings up the next point...

Milwaukee and Indy are the only places for ACen to move if it leaves Rosemont. And Milwaukee is a stretch, since it couldn't handle GenCon back in the day due to hotel capacity. (This may have changed in the last decade.) I don't know if that's feasible in the slightest, though.

#557 User is offline   bucktick 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 59254

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:38 PM

View PostP-Bear, on 25 May 2011 - 02:43 PM, said:

crossing the street =/= difficult come on <_<

Nice to see that you have the privilege of not having a disability or health issues that might make that difficult for you. Guess people that might have an issue that actually DOES make that difficult are beneath your superior self.
BuckTick ~Jennivieve: Gothic Lolita clothing and fine accessories~

#558 User is offline   jsieczkar 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 17116

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:38 PM

View Postkeiichi969, on 25 May 2011 - 03:32 PM, said:

You know, on the discussion of space.

http://www.rosemont...._cc_flplans.pdf

The DES is HUGE. there are a few other halls I've never seen used that are the size of hall A. (reg/dealers/AA)

Has anyone considered maybe moving Reg into hall B, where it can be optimized for lines and good flow, versus snaking the reg lines through the primary entrance to the dealers room/aa? this would also free up a ton of space to expand the dealers room/AA, and offer them some more floor space?

Half the time I was going into the dealers hall, I'd take the escalators up to the skywalk, and walk over to the stairs above the door to the Expoteria.

Also looking at the capacities on that diagram, wouldn't the level 1 conference rooms be a better place for some of the panels, instead of the Hilton conference rooms? they seem to be a much bettter fit capacity wise. Or is it just impractically expensive, compared to the hotels?

The DES's confrence rooms are very expensive from what I have been told, not McCormick expensive, but high enough that we woud like to avoid them.
2008-2009 IRT - Callsign JR
2010 IRT Dispatch - Callsign JR
2011-Present Industry Relations Manager

#559 User is offline   keiichi969 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 49954

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:46 PM

Impractically expensive then, as I suspected.

Hopefully you can get more space in the other hotels next year that have bigger conference room. Hilton was horrible.

Also, greetings from about an hour east on 5&20.

#560 User is offline   Ashori 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 10991

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:46 PM

View Postbucktick, on 25 May 2011 - 03:38 PM, said:

Nice to see that you have the privilege of not having a disability or health issues that might make that difficult for you. Guess people that might have an issue that actually DOES make that difficult are beneath your superior self.

Well, I think the main point in P-Bear's post is that crossing the street to go to a panel isn't really that bad of a complaint. Yes, disabilities and health issues do make it difficult (I won't deny my own problems with my legs and back due to an autoimmune disorder), but I don't think it's impossible for anyone to make the walk to another hotel for a panel or event. Especially if one is careful with their walking and takes it easy when they are dealing with problems such as a disability or a health issue.
Cosplay Status: Maya Kitajima - Bianca Mask (Pirate Form - 100%; Glass Mask), Lucy Heartfilia (2%; Fairy Tail), Castle of Hearts Alice Liddell (100%; Kuni no Alice series)
My dA | My YouTube Page | My FF.Net Page

#561 User is offline   Roark 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:48 PM

I understand that it's frustrating when people don't think of others, but please keep this civil.

The reality is that things can't all be in one hotel anymore. 23,000 people can't all attend events in the Hyatt simultaneously.

What would make accessing this programming easier for everyone, including those with disabilities? The police supervise crossing River Rd. at Bryn Mawr and in front of the convention center. The hamster tunnels, while crowded in parts, are there.

I think someone in the Panels Gripes thread mentioned staggering start times. Would having events at 15- or 30- minute intervals make things easier? How about multiple instances of some of the panels?

Not to harp on the GenCon angle, but their popular programming (in-demand games) runs multiple times throughout the convention. True Dungeon starts every 5 minutes or so. Most game systems have multiple tournaments. Organized RPG systems (LFR and the like) run multiple instances of modules.

Would asking panelists to do multiple instances of a specific panel help?

#562 User is offline   bucktick 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 59254

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:53 PM

I understand that it's frustrating when people don't think of others, please keep this civil.

I would have chosen "belittling" and "insensitive" instead of frustrating, but yes. Sorry if I came across as un-civil and I do apologize.
BuckTick ~Jennivieve: Gothic Lolita clothing and fine accessories~

#563 User is offline   MuffinSquire 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 58477

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:57 PM

View PostTheRabbi, on 25 May 2011 - 01:34 PM, said:

The only reason I had an issue with panels being at multiple hotels is that the panels were back-to-back. So, from what I know, if you wanted to go to a panel at the DoubleTree and then a panel at the Hyatt, you had to either leave early or be late, and that's not taking panels with lines into consideration. I think it might work better if the panels had a bit of a gap between them. I realize that over the course of the con, that's a lot of time lost, but there must be something that could be done.

e: The officers directing traffic were very nice and helpful. It made getting to my hotel much easier. I'm glad I didn't have to walk all the way around to one of the lights, especially carrying all my artist alley stuff.

This post has been edited by MuffinSquire: 25 May 2011 - 04:01 PM

Yo.

#564 User is offline   Lothlin 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 10159

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:11 PM

Move to Indy! :D

*Is unconstructive*

Something that would probably help a lot is more careful attention paid to what panels are likely to draw large crowds. I went to a buddy's panel that was held in Panel... 1 I believe, of the hilton, one of the big Hilton rooms. He's a great guy but it wasn't a huge draw panel. In comparison, my other buddy's final fantasy panel was in a 50 person room. That filled up immediately. And I definitely noticed that happening a few times. I know judging popularity isn't 100%, but I think a lot of focus needs to be put to it. It might help with panel congestion a little.

#565 User is offline   JediNight 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 6971

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:12 PM

What will happen when Acen becomes literally too crowded for people to even move, and their hand is forced to either move it to McCormick Place or not have the con altogether? Moving different events to different hotels was apparently inconvenient for a lot of people I talked to while at those events as well. It's sad that Acen is doomed to become even more crowded to the point of discomfort for everyone. Is it at least "within your means" to rent out the entire Donald E Stephens Convention Center? Because if the ghetto tactic of making everyone walk to the Doubletree or Embassy just to go to a panel or other event is the only foreseeable future for this con... it truly is a saddening outlook. :(

While more DES space might be a good thing, I don't know if renting out the entire space would be ideal (or even possible, given the time window we like to keep the con in every year, as the DES is booked by many groups). While Anime Expo and Otakon are able to run the convention until 12am-1am in their convention space, the DES has a much earlier closing time from what I've heard. 8pm is basically our cutoff, which would do nothing for the dance, rave, and popular panels that are scheduled at night.

And there is very little soundproofing ability in the DES if we were to hold panels there: Some of the areas would probably literally be separated by pipe-and-drape. And the areas used for autographs this year have no ventilation, and sound bleeding issues as well. (And all the panels would have to be done by 8pm)

About needing to "close the con" if it got too large. I don't think that would ever happen. I assume if we were ever in such dire straits of attendance, that they would just unfortunately cap badges.

This post has been edited by JediNight: 25 May 2011 - 04:12 PM

#566 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:41 PM

What do people think about Roark's suggestions? Staggering panels seems like it might help to me, but what's your opinion?

Also, I know that Panel Programming tries to gauge popularity. I think the difficulty this year came from unfamiliarity with the new building.

#567 User is offline   ranefea 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 6584

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:46 PM

I know it can be difficult for those with disabilities of any sort to get around the convention area sometimes. If things are truly an obstacle I'm sure you or whoever with a disability can work with the Special Needs group to assist in overcoming any of these difficulties.

View Postkeiichi969, on 25 May 2011 - 03:46 PM, said:

Hopefully you can get more space in the other hotels next year that have bigger conference room. Hilton was horrible.

The Hilton wasn't a bad place, in perspective, but some of the panels were just too large for the space. Perhaps looking into historic attendance numbers for certain panels can help to schedule the smaller panels in the smaller rooms first to help ease them from over filling, although with the sheer numbers of the convention, that might be a moot point.

My biggest gripe about the space there is that there was ONE panel all weekend I wanted to attend, and a friend I only get to see at ACen was running it. I hadn't seen her all weekend (this was midnight Saturday) and although the line for the panel didn't seem THAT long, the line was cut about 10 people before me. I was too tired to stand around and hope people would leave the panel so I went back to my room. I did get to see my friend the next day when she stopped by my Artist's table, but it was for about 5 minutes as she had to leave and she mentioned that no one left the panel so I would have just wasted my time waiting anyway. =(

View PostRoark, on 25 May 2011 - 03:48 PM, said:

The reality is that things can't all be in one hotel anymore. 23,000 people can't all attend events in the Hyatt simultaneously.

I think someone in the Panels Gripes thread mentioned staggering start times. Would having events at 15- or 30- minute intervals make things easier? How about multiple instances of some of the panels?

That's so true. Think about how crowded the Hyatt is at all times. There just isn't a way to fit everything there anymore and expanding to other hotels is an understandable option. Especially when the hotels are so closely clustered together. I think we're very fortunate to be in an area where that is a feasible solution. At least the Hilton, Doubletree, etc are right across the street and not two blocks down.

And I think staggering the panels is a good idea, too. It would probably help with the crowding and confusing in the halls at least.

This post has been edited by ranefea: 25 May 2011 - 04:47 PM

My deviantART
My Cosplay Page

ACen 2014 Cosplay

Friday: Link - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Saturday: Leafeon Gijinka - Pokemon
Sunday: Kotoha - Arata Kangatari

#568 User is offline   JediNight 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 6971

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:50 PM

View PostTheRabbi, on 25 May 2011 - 04:41 PM, said:

What do people think about Roark's suggestions? Staggering panels seems like it might help to me, but what's your opinion?

Also, I know that Panel Programming tries to gauge popularity. I think the difficulty this year came from unfamiliarity with the new building.

Staggering panels would help from a staffing perspective at least, but would merely shift the missed sections of panels for attendees in some cases. The "track" method + staggering times would probably minimize it the most, as you would at least have similar panels not running totally against each other.

I'm going to also float the idea of having confirmed panels viewable online for people to "Like" them, so that we can get more concrete numbers months in advance in order to better utilize the rooms. This would require a synopsis of the panel contents from the panelists as well, I believe, for people to know exactly what it will entail.

#569 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6522

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:54 PM

Thank you Ashori and Roark. I couldn't have said it better.

And bucktick, If you have mobility issues, did you visit our department to find out how much we've done to make it easier for you to enjoy the convention?
The Special Needs & ADA Compliance Department is dedicated to making sure that nobody has to miss anything that ACen has to offer because of a physical challenge or medical condition.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Compliments? Complaints?

Visit us at http://acen.org/cont...-ada-compliance or send an email to adacompliance-dh@acen.org

Number of ACens attended: 15, Number of years on staff: 6, 2010 Staff MVP Award

#570 User is offline   frzndaqiri 

• Webmistress
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 4043

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:04 PM

I'm going to also float the idea of having confirmed panels viewable online for people to "Like" them

While not staff of PP - I have to say that sounds like a nice idea. Kind of like a Yes/No/Maybe RSVP thing. An interesting idea to consider at least... and make results only viewable to staffers so it doesn't become a popularity contest.
2013 will be my 11th year at ACen! Staff for '09/'10/'11/'12/'13
Currently: Webmistress and Registration System Admin - my answers on them are as STAFF - PM if you need help

Come visit DisjointedImages in Artist's Alley for Cosplay photo buttons and custom made buttons
Get a button or upgrade it to a keychain/zipper pull/magnet/bottle opener/mirror for just a quarter more.
Visit the blog for latest news and contests! Disjointed Images Blog
100% guarantee on buttons. If it breaks, come see me for a FREE replacement.

• 22 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users