Gripes Got something you want fixed...

#511 User is offline   mer2329 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 29293

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:23 AM

View Postmyrla, on 22 May 2011 - 06:04 PM, said:

"Another thing is the game room and its ridiculous no bag rule. I never understood that rule. Are we going to stuff a whole DDR machine in our bags? Anyway, I think there should be more communication on the rules. On Friday we were able to leave our bags and a guy was sitting there to watch it. Everything was fine and dandy until Saturday when we went back to the game room. An extremely rude IRT staff member was there and yelled at me for even walking towards her with a bag. She curtly told me that I couldn't leave it when I asked. She didn't even give me a reason. I understand that working at a con can be stressful but you shouldn't take it out on attendees that did absolutely nothing to you. It put me off for the whole day and I was astonished at how unprofessional that lady was being :/
But I digress. Is there a better way we can handle the bag situation for the game room? It's inconvenient if you're walking around all day in a cosplay or outfit with no pockets and need a way to store your wallet, phone, and other necessities. It's hard for people to go all the way back to their hotel rooms and dump their stuff off just to appease a stupid rule. I feel bad for the people that don't even have that option and couldn't go to the game room at all. "

i myself am a local and dont take out a room (i commute every day) so i am in strong support of a bag check (even one that costs a little bit of money to use (its better than missing out on a panel/concert/gaming)) i mentioned this 3 years ago to one of the admins and complaned for an hour the next year on behalf of all the locals to admin
this year there was still no bag check after all that fuming so i complaned to the same person as 3 years prior. now i am seriously debating not coming again (even though this was my best acen yet) and did not pre reg for next year like i have for the last 3 (this is was my 4th acen. my first was when the servers were hacked)

i thought of one more suggeation
put a little buffer between pannels (and even more for concerts) to allow transit, set up, and tear down (in addition to encores for concerts)
True Words of Wisdom
Those Who Fall Asleep In Fruit Drink
Often Gets Punch in Nose

#512 User is offline   manga1 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 53231

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:24 AM

Lets see I have only a few right off hand.

1. The prereg line this year I was in line for 45 minuts it took forever and I got there at 11 am, last year I was in the day of line and I was there for a total of 30 minuts and the line was three times as long, I prereg for a reason, for cheaper rate, and so I dont have to wait in line forever.

2. the go room closed real early, I wanted to play but it closed at 6 pm the one day and last year it was open late in the night till at least 11.

3. Many of us complained about not being enough signs last year to show us to places and it went unheeded.

4. Why was irt complaining about my prop saying it looked too much like a real gun, I had brought it to three cons including acen last year and they did not have a problem with it last year, my gun is a woodcut is the world that blind that they cant see a flat woodcut gun that only slightly looks like a real gun, just because I dont want to paint the tip of it, the reason irt gave me was that rosmont pd was all nervous this year since one time someone painted a real gun orange and used it to rob a liquor store, well ok so how does that have anything to do with fake guns, when the issue lays with a real gun painted as a fake by that logic, just saying.

5. All the people having to be taken by ems due to dehydration, I did not see soo many last year if only once when I went to the hardcore last year, Part of dehydration is due to people drinking, but, also the idiots that use extacy, and drugs, they are one of the major causes at real raves for the dehydration, can you not keep an eye on people for drug use, and people who act stupid being generaly annoying because they are drugged up, on group of guys in front of me kept shouting crystal meth crystal meth I am on crystal meth as well as his other two buddys jumping up and down, in same fashion. This is not only annoying, and they get in the way, but, someone needs to take a look when someone using drugs in such a rampant fashion.

Last the people running the masqarade, need to be a bit more friendly the competition is supposed to be fun for people, I dont like being ordered and hurded around like an animal, and it was a buzzkill to me, not tomention for their own sake they should lighten up and not be so sour though they did appologise to us later since the time was moved up and it put them in panic mode, but still dont fret soo much it will only cause them more stress and its stressful to us who are already stressed about performing.

O and for those that complain about quality, then if you think you can come up with a better skit, and prepare it then go for it, but, dont complain about me, I worked on my skit for a long time and I start rehersing months in advance. You dont have to like my dance if you dont want its a free contry, but if you think its soo low in quality of skit then come up with one and do one yourself to do something about it and show us how its done, really, I encourage you to do so. Really the more the better for the quality.

There thats my two cents.

signed Jeremy Manga1

#513 User is offline   BigBoss 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 2255

Posted 24 May 2011 - 04:01 AM

View PostSmokey, on 23 May 2011 - 05:59 PM, said:

If you think these things should receive more attention than they appear to be currently giving, tell them. If enough people complain, maybe they'll finally do something. Here is their feedback page, I suggest telling them exactly how you feel. http://www.hyatt.com...recent-stay.jsp

Superb advice. Year after year I complain to Hyatt about the inadequacy of the elevators at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare. For the last two or three years, every multi-day convention my friends and I attend at D.E.S., we will not stay at this Hyatt specifically for this reason. Hopefully more and more complaints will prompt them to improve the situation. Hyatt Feedback Form

I can support the statement of others, that the smell of marijuana was very prevalent on Saturday - more so than any previous year. I doubt there's much Acen staff can do to quell 4:20, but I don't think it's reasonable to dismiss the valid complaints outright.

Aside from the usual hiccups with badges, I think Acen 2011 went very smoothly for my group and I. We greatly appreciate the work of the staffers that really care about the con and its attendees, especially those who were running Artist Alley (where I spent most of my time). In regards to the badge-printing issues, fate gave them proverbial lemons... They somehow managed to make Strawberry Fanta. Nice!
Hey, don't be scared by my appearance... I'm a friendly monster. Please feel free to chat me up!
-Peter Staack

#514 User is offline   Cryptoknight 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 231

Posted 24 May 2011 - 04:50 AM

View PostGSDfan87, on 23 May 2011 - 10:24 AM, said:

2. Game tournies: I found the game tournements to be pretty unorganized (at least the one I tried to be in). Yeah there was a sign up sheet, but it was worthless. First half the people on the list didn't show (not staff or volunteers fault), but worse, was after the tournement had started 2 things happened. First the person in charge passed the bracket onto 1 of the players and then proceeded to join the tournment himself (not that big of an issue, but if you volunteer to run a tourney you shouldn't particpate, because it interferes with your job). Second, he began letting people join tournment after it had started. With that kind of structure it would have been better to just put a sign on the wall saying "Blah Blah Game at Blah Blah Time, come play".

Were these game tournaments for Video gaming, CCG Gaming, or other Tabletop Gaming? I'm in charge of 2/3 and I will deal with the issue if it's either CCG's or general Tabletop gaming.
Mark Tassin
Department Head - Table Top Gaming Anime Central 2005-2007,2009-2011
Visit me on Facebook where we can speculate as to the politics that got me fired for running a successful department.
http://www.facebook.com/mark.tassin

#515 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:03 AM

View Postmanga1, on 24 May 2011 - 01:24 AM, said:

O and for those that complain about quality, then if you think you can come up with a better skit, and prepare it then go for it, but, dont complain about me, I worked on my skit for a long time and I start rehersing months in advance. You dont have to like my dance if you dont want its a free contry, but if you think its soo low in quality of skit then come up with one and do one yourself to do something about it and show us how its done, really, I encourage you to do so. Really the more the better for the quality.

There thats my two cents.

signed Jeremy Manga1

That's great and all, but people were sick of seeing so many dance routines. Maybe do a regular skit next year and people might not complain. It would be one less dance skit. ;)
ACen '14 Cosplay
Fem!Gundam Tanaka [Super Dangan Ronpa 2] [100%]
ACen forum's number one poster and Disney nut.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#516 User is offline   Roark 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 11290

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:39 AM

Hi, all.

I want to comment on the situation with autographs, as that was my direct responsibility.

I was as surprised as anyone with how the autographs turned out this year. I was at the convention center Wednesday and walked the area to make sure everything looked correct. The hall hadn't been fully set up yet, but here's what I was told was going to happen:

Three dealer booths to the left of the autographs area would be removed. This would serve as the entrance and staging area for the two rooms. We would have a large area not blocking any dealer space to enter the hall.

This was still the plan Thursday, as far as I know. Something changed.

I had to leave the convention for a personal issue on Friday. When I returned Saturday, I was informed of the autograph situation. By that point, we had booths in the area I thought I had for staging, and I couldn't have them moved without major hassle.

I'm very sorry autographs worked out the way they did this year. It wasn't as I envisioned, nor was it what I discussed during planning. To all the fans, vendors, and staff that were affected by this, I'm truly sorry.

I'm going to look into the situation with inconsistent communication and resolve it.

The errors in autograph schedules fall on me. I should have caught those when approving the schedules. Having the panel schedule locked earlier in the year (like last year) will ensure this doesn't happen again, as we won't deal with moving time slots when assigning panels.

The late guest panel schedule (also largely on my shoulders) is also why we couldn't get the autograph sessions in the program book. We had a "final" panel schedule (that wasn't truly final, as we all know now) \the night the book went to press. When I schedule guest events, I do them in the following order:
-Main Programming Events
-Panels
-Autographs
-Press Conferences
-Bonus appearances (judging, appearances at screenings, appearances at gatherings, etc.)

This order isn't something I can really change, since it's how event changes trickle down through the schedule.

Thank you, all, for tolerating the autograph situation this year. It wasn't ideal. In fact, it was far from it. I'm trying to figure out ways to fix it for next year. Let me know if any of these strike your fancy:

-Many small tables like at comic-cons, one guest per table, with a larger table for groups (like FLOW).
-Ticketed autograph signings (get tickets at panels)
-Extend individual panels by an hour for autographs afterwards. (I try to do one Meet So-and-So panel per guest, like Meet Michael Sinterniklaas or Trevor Mueller and the Panel that Still Will Not Be Named.)
-Autographs at company booths (e.g., at the Funimation booth)

Help me figure out the resolution to this situation.

#517 User is offline   Aiddon Valentin 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 5880

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:46 AM

One thing I request is that the signings not be smushed back in the far back of the convention center. Last year it was out in the open and everyone could find it. I was LOST finding the thing this year and we had a bit of a bottle-neck problem. Length I had no troubles with as the line was going at a swift pace, though some people were unable to get into the signings due to the lines being filled up very quickly.
Kuchiki Byakuya: Ohayocon '06
Kuchiki Byakuya: ACen '06
Rose: Ohayocon '07
Part of Shinigami Squad '06

#518 User is offline   skyrune83 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 29775

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:49 AM

View PostAiddon Valentin, on 24 May 2011 - 09:46 AM, said:

One thing I request is that the signings not be smushed back in the far back of the convention center. Last year it was out in the open and everyone could find it. I was LOST finding the thing this year and we had a bit of a bottle-neck problem. Length I had no troubles with as the line was going at a swift pace, though some people were unable to get into the signings due to the lines being filled up very quickly.

Well, last year when that area was used for panels, I had the same problem of trying to dungeon-crawl my way to those rooms. No matter what those rooms are used for, they are hard to find, due to their odd position in the convention center.

This post has been edited by skyrune83: 24 May 2011 - 09:50 AM

www.astroth.com
www.ironpawn.com

You may know me as:
Dave Strider: Homestuck
Red Mage: Final Fantasy
Matsushita: Angel Beats
Lil' Slugger (Shounen Bat): Paranoia Agent
J.P. (Junpei): Digimon Frontier

#519 User is offline   sourstrawroxors 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 2353

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:22 AM

View PostRoark, on 24 May 2011 - 09:39 AM, said:

Thank you, all, for tolerating the autograph situation this year. It wasn't ideal. In fact, it was far from it. I'm trying to figure out ways to fix it for next year. Let me know if any of these strike your fancy:

-Many small tables like at comic-cons, one guest per table, with a larger table for groups (like FLOW).
-Extend individual panels by an hour for autographs afterwards. (I try to do one Meet So-and-So panel per guest, like Meet Michael Sinterniklaas or Trevor Mueller and the Panel that Still Will Not Be Named.)

Thank you for giving us an in-depth reply as to what the heck happened with the autographing schedules-- as well as taking responsibility. I applaud you for that, as not many people would be willing to take the fall when there are so many people upset.

The ticketed autographs would be ideal only for those who are able to get into a panel, so I'm not sure that it would work out for the best. If someone misses a panel/cannot get in due to space limitation/panel intersects with another one/ arrives at a later time (since attendees do not always show up on Friday morning due to school or work, etc.) this could end up leaving out a lot of people who want an autograph from a guest.

I think the personalized tables would work out fantastically, as this has been done in the past and seemed to go well without much problem. Having lines snaked in front of each section for the guests worked out brilliantly. In all truth, I feel as though this is the best option.

Company booth signings may get too crowded unless you can also work out a way to place merchandising somewhere else.

Extending individual panels is the second-best idea, though may not work out for the same reasons as I stated before. If there is only one panel like this, a lot of people may miss out. (As well as this may be a bit tiring for the guests to complete an hour long panel and then be bombarded by fans wanting their stuff signed). However, this could work out if the guests are OK with it, *and* you arrange a second day for a regular hour long autograph session in the Exhibit Hall with separate tables for each guest. Maybe there is a way you could combine that with the panel idea. :)
Don't hate me because you're beautiful :)

#520 User is offline   gc!? 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 60557

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:45 AM

Hey, first time at ACEN this year and I think things ran mostly smooth (aside from the obnoxiously long pick-up badge line on Thursday).

There's one thing I wanted to point out though - you absolutely need to indicate when people can and cannot have bags/cameras/etc for the main programming. I was not allowed into the FLOW concert because of this, and while I did assume I couldn't have any of that stuff on me, I didn't know for sure until IRT pointed it out 30 minutes before the concert. The problem here is that I stayed at the Hilton airport hotel, which would have taken too long to get to so I could drop my stuff off. Next time, please clearly indicate on the main programming schedule guide what programs do and do not allow these things.

Also, I know there's a part on the guide about no bags, where it indicates no bags at DANCES and the video game room. Dances =/= concerts.
My Flickr (includes an ACEN 2011 gallery~)

#521 User is offline   madhattr999 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 50679

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:59 AM

Thank you, all, for tolerating the autograph situation this year. It wasn't ideal. In fact, it was far from it. I'm trying to figure out ways to fix it for next year. ... Help me figure out the resolution to this situation.

I think the way the autographs were set up is mostly fine. With the exception of the temperature, the autograph areas were fine. The maps clearly showed where the autograph panels were. Not being able to find the autograph area is the attendees' fault in my opinion. The only policy I would change is to get rid of the "no lining up before 30/60 minutes before rule". If an attendee wants an autograph so bad that they are willing to stand in line for 2 hours... They should be able to do so. And I don't ask this because I am one of those people. I generally show up 30 minutes before, and otherwise, go without because its not worth it to me. But "sending people away because they show up too early" is what caused the whole communication and consistency problem to begin with. It is prone to unfairness and miscommunication. And often, people wait in a big clump until the right time, and then run/push/shove to the designated line up spot, which is dangerous to attendees and staff alike. I'll give my opinion on the suggestions you listed.

The pro to this is that if you only care about one guest, and he is the least popular guest in the time slot, its basically free (not costing the guest or the attendee any extra time, since that particularly guest may be doing nothing a lot of the time anyway). The con to this is if you have 2 guests from the same show or group of shows, where it makes sense that if you want one autograph, you want the other. It would be silly and inefficient to have separate line ups for Stephanie and Cristina since K-ON! is so big this year. So it really only makes sense to split the tables up if the guests aren't generally related to each other.

I don't really like this idea, but there are worse ideas. I generally prefer tickets to the "no lining up before x minutes" policy. I think it is important to attend the panels of the guests you want autographs from. It shows a dedication to the guest. If NOT doing tickets, it is important to give some significant time (60 minutes) between panels and autograph session so that attendees aren't punished for attending the guests' panel.

Similar to above. This would be fine, but history has shown that it is very difficult to manage space and lines for a large convention. The big panel room is underutilized during the autograph signings. The autograph line would likely need to be moved to make room for a big panel, and moving a line is fairly difficult. Considering ACen's budget concerns, I don't think this is a feasible solution.

This is really just passing the buck. All the same problems will apply, except it will be the company's problems. And most likely what would happen, is the Company would just say "screw it" and throw away the whole notion of fairness.

This post has been edited by madhattr999: 24 May 2011 - 11:14 AM

#522 User is offline   Sir Gibby 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 26318

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:15 AM

I really like this idea. When I went to comic-con two years ago, that was something I really liked about how they had their guests set up. Rather than have only two or three guests at a time, causing a lot of congestion, they had all of them out at once so you could walk right up and meet the guest you were interested in, waiting only a few minutes at a time. Ever since then I thought it would be an excellent system for ACen to try out. I'm all for it!
My life is watching anime, playing video games, and eating Taco Bell with reckless abandonment with my lady!

My cosplays: Raccoon City Police Officer, S.T.A.R.S. officer, Chris Redfield, Dr. Ray Stantz, 10th Doctor, 11th Doctor

Check out My Amazon Kindle Stories, My Writing Blog, and my comic book series

#523 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:25 AM

View Postmadhattr999, on 24 May 2011 - 10:59 AM, said:

I think the way the autographs were set up is mostly fine. With the exception of the temperature, the autograph areas were fine. The maps clearly showed where the autograph panels were. Not being able to find the autograph area is the attendees' fault in my opinion. The only policy I would change is to get rid of the "no lining up before 30/60 minutes before rule". If an attendee wants an autograph so bad that they are willing to stand in line for 2 hours... They should be able to do so. And I don't ask this because I am one of those people. I generally show up 30 minutes before, and otherwise, go without because its not worth it to me. But "sending people away because they show up too early" is what caused the whole communication and consistency problem to begin with. It is prone to unfairness and miscommunication. And often, people wait in a big clump until the right time, and then run/push/shove to the designated line up spot, which is dangerous to attendees and staff alike. I'll give my opinion on the suggestions you listed.

I disagree with the bolded statement. The map was unclear. It showed autographs were at the top right hand corner of the map away from the booths, but it was in between booths. I looked hard for the "Giant Magic the Gathering Sign" like I was told by someone running the information booth and I still could not find it. The board between the two booths was not very noticeable. Also, because it was in between booths it was probably overlooked because the side of one of the booths had a lot of people and was very crowded. I'm very good with maps. I was able to navigate my way through Disney World just fine two weeks ago and that was the first time I had been in 11 years and I've been going to ACen for 9 years now.

With the way it was set up, it was causing a fire hazard because people were lining up very early and they were in front of a bunch of booths. Sending people in prior to the time the rules state is unfair and is rewarding rule-breakers. It would be different if it weren't in between booths.

Go back to the way it was in years past. It was much better that way.

ACen '14 Cosplay

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#524 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 591

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:28 AM

View Postgc!?, on 24 May 2011 - 10:45 AM, said:

There's one thing I wanted to point out though - you absolutely need to indicate when people can and cannot have bags/cameras/etc for the main programming. I was not allowed into the FLOW concert because of this, and while I did assume I couldn't have any of that stuff on me, I didn't know for sure until IRT pointed it out 30 minutes before the concert. The problem here is that I stayed at the Hilton airport hotel, which would have taken too long to get to so I could drop my stuff off. Next time, please clearly indicate on the main programming schedule guide what programs do and do not allow these things.

Also, I know there's a part on the guide about no bags, where it indicates no bags at DANCES and the video game room. Dances =/= concerts.

Yeah, we had a communication issue with our ops on the line about this one. We tried to get it straightened out but the game of telephone apparently wouldn't let this one go. (Also, in past years, we've done no cameras and no bags in both kinds of events, and some people were convinced that this was still the case. Having staff selectively unlearn what happened in previous years is a challenge every year.) Next year, we intend to (a) get the policy solidified earlier, (b) ramp up the signage (there was signage about this! I'll bet no-one saw it, though), and © make sure it gets into our briefings.

Lines in general this year were all right from the perspective of trying a new system for the first year, but we did see a lot of kinks in the policy and we're going to fill those gaps - information-wise, policy-wise, and personnel-wise - this coming year.
Eli "Rabbi" Morris-Heft: IRT Assistant Department Head
SecDiv Dispatch 2004, IRT Communications ADH 2005-06, IRT Dispatch Supervisor 2007-2010, IRT Dispatch Commander 2011, IRT ADH 2012-, IT Senior Sysadmin 2007-2011, ACen Clergy, 2004-

"Two-three the count with nobody on / He hit a high fly into the stands / Roundin' third, he was headed for home / It was a brown-eyed handsome man (that won the game) / It was a brown-eyed handsome man." (Brown-Eyed Handsome Man by Chuck Berry)

I <3 People Who <3 IRT!Want to help make IRT even better? Apply next year!

#525 User is offline   Fullmetal_C 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 19831

Posted 24 May 2011 - 02:39 PM

View PostLina, on 22 May 2011 - 10:26 PM, said:

I absolutely LOVED the autograph situation last year. Like someone said earlier, it was easy to find, and i was able to just jump in line with no hassle, it was just simple! I'm not a big fan of the ticket idea just from the trouble it has caused me in the past (the inconsistency among staff and IRT whether or not you needed them and for what events.) I didn't have any problems whatsoever with the signings last year, i'm not sure what other people experienced but it would be great if next went as smoothly as last year. ^o^

This post has been edited by Fullmetal_C: 24 May 2011 - 02:40 PM

Cosplay.com!!![Fullmetal_C]
Deviant Art!!![ShojO-ShortY][/center]

#526 User is offline   Luna_Riven 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 24594

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:23 PM

Overall I had a really fantastic time at ACen this year! I only have a few small gripes, although most of them have already been addressed, like the lack of photoshoot schedule in the booklet. Fortunately I had copied down the schedule from the one online before I left but I feel like there might have been more people at the shoots if the schedule was more accessible.

My only other real gripe that hasn't been addressed yet is the lack of maps in the booklet. I know there was a map of the main convention center but, unless I was blind and missed it, there didn't seem to be maps of anywhere else including the Hyatt, Embassy Suites, hamster tunnels, etc. As someone with a poor sense of direction and even less knowledge of the surrounding area (as I've only been to ACen 3 times now) it would have been really nice to know where some of the other panels were.
ACen 2013 Cosplays!
Vivi Nefertari (One Piece) Fionna (Adventure Time!) Bruce Banner (Avengers) Rebecca Chambers (RE) Kanaya if there's time (Homestuck)
I'm offering free shoots this year so send me a message if you're interested!

#527 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 7281

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:34 PM

Ok, I accidently posted this on a thread that got moved to the guest suggestions thread so I'll repost it here.

There were also many things I was dissapointed with as well. From the pre-reg line (which now I found out what that was about) to panel problems (such as them moving without telling anyone to moving big panels to smaller rooms, then not telling people in the line that room is full so we didn't know what was going on in the room to the game room closing early, to the musical guest only playing one night. You could say I was not a very happy person on friday night. Was it just me or did it seem like there was nothing to do after midnight? Overall i'd give the con a C. Not great. But still had a a good time for a least one day. Also if IRT isn't going to let people line up inside the building for a big event don't yell at other people walking on the street trying to get to other hotels and whatnot. If the sidewalk is full then where else am I suppose to walk. I understand you don't wanna fill up the building, but you can't do both.
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#528 User is offline   SaphiraRaworth 

• IRT
  • Pip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 7593

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:25 AM

View PostAshori, on 22 May 2011 - 04:34 PM, said:

3) Lax in keeping up the prop rules. I hardly saw IRT tagging or looking at large props and tagging them if they were too large or whatnot (including, ironically, the gun my friend had for her Yoko costume). Like with #1, if these are rules, why not enforce them?

We have been going by the rule of "if it's not taller than you it's alright if you're holding it properly." There were no tags this year, but stamps on badges with our initials.

View PostYoungBirdcall, on 23 May 2011 - 12:19 PM, said:

As has already been mentioned, nothing can be done about people drinking during the convention, unless an IRT member witnesses someone who is fall-down drunk and/or assaulting someone verbally or physically. Adults in America are allowed to drink alcohol; I'm sorry if people doing so ruins the convention for you. And saying that "the con reeked of weed" is a ridiculous statement.

I thought that the con was run well, and my only complaint is one that has already been stated many times: the Thursday badge-pick-up line.

As YoungBirdcall has said, this is correct. Also, if we suspect the person is underage. But I have never seen or heard of an IRT member not call dispatch to tell them of suspicious/suspected congoers.

View PostGabichox, on 23 May 2011 - 01:27 PM, said:

I could've sworn there was a rule about free hugs signs. D: is there?

There is. You may only have signs that pertain to your cosplay character, and that's it.

View Postmanga1, on 24 May 2011 - 01:24 AM, said:

4. Why was irt complaining about my prop saying it looked too much like a real gun, I had brought it to three cons including acen last year and they did not have a problem with it last year, my gun is a woodcut is the world that blind that they cant see a flat woodcut gun that only slightly looks like a real gun, just because I dont want to paint the tip of it, the reason irt gave me was that rosmont pd was all nervous this year since one time someone painted a real gun orange and used it to rob a liquor store, well ok so how does that have anything to do with fake guns, when the issue lays with a real gun painted as a fake by that logic, just saying.

By what we have agreed to by the Rosemont Police Department [Rabbi feel free to correct me] is that it must not look like a real gun from across the room, have an orange tip, no clip, and fully disarmed.

I have noticed most your the gripes are towards departments other than my own, but I am sure there are more to come. And with the help of my fellow IRT members and admins, I will try to answer back. I am also glad to read the Compliments thread and the compliments listed here. This year I was in the most horrible pain yet throughout con, yet I kept a smile on my face and did everything I could to answer all the questions that came my way. I even went all the way down to the service desk in the Hyatt to get a photoshoot list [one of VERY FEW] and bring it up to out Dispatch so they can help everyone else that had questions. I have seen that some of you state that you will not be coming back next year, but i hope you do not say that too quickly. Positions are changing and policies will as well. Take the time to wait and see what may come in the next few months. Artie, our new Con Chair, has much in store and things he plans on changing and revising. Give him the chance to improve on what we have failed upon this year. My last word of advice is this; if you believe we need more people in more places, VOLUNTEER. Out of the 175 OF US not everyone showed up, people had been put down medically, or had to leave due to personal reasons. We are always welcoming at-con volunteers. If you think that things aren't running as you expect them to be, stop into the Volunteer HQ and ask if they need more people! I apologize if I have had a rant of my own, but I am glad to have had the chance to respond to some of your complaints. If you have IRT SPECIFIC complaints, please post them here. Also, if you have compliments, post them [url="http://www.acen.org/forums/index.php/topic/40496-2011-compliments/here%5B/url]. Thank you for time, and I really do hope to see you all next year.

Raworth
3 Year IRT Vet

This post has been edited by SaphiraRaworth: 25 May 2011 - 12:33 AM

Callsign: Raworth

Past ACen Cosplays: Friends & Groups
Lan Group ACen '06 Group ACen '07 ACen '09 ACen '10 ACen '11
Contact Me?
facebook deviantart windows live yahoo twitter

#529 User is offline   manga1 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:25 AM

View PostLina, on 24 May 2011 - 09:03 AM, said:

That's great and all, but people were sick of seeing so many dance routines. Maybe do a regular skit next year and people might not complain. It would be one less dance skit. ;)

Well there is one differance I am a real hip hop dancer, most of them are not, now I can vouch for the people directly in front of me the belly dance girl was good, though I dont like bellydance, and the guys right after me with the mario brothers skit they were dancing in the green room while we were waiting and they were good real good and in the street dance style too, meaning not the jazz dance that they try to pass off as hip hop in competitions like showstoppers or some national dance school contest.

As for dance, well at least its not like acen 2010 where 4 skits were dancing to bad romance, Dance is my talent I wont deprive those that like it my God given talent that want it shown there were plenty shouting and clapping along, not everyone can act, and last, not everyone likes several dry humor skits that use the same thing everyone else does.

Again if you can do better go for it, I did my best, and I am working on the next skit for next year to make it even better as far as the theme goes, and quality of display.

signed Jeremy manga1 the Dancing David of 2011

#530 User is offline   keiichi969 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 49954

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:33 AM

The panels in the Hilton:
Please please please, do not use those rooms again unless absolutely necessary. They are hard to find and extremely small. There is no room to line up for things. You need to use the elevators to find them, and access to the sky-bridge is hard to find unless you know exactly where it is.

The Vocaloid panel (first one) was full to capacity 15mins before it was scheduled to start, because the room could only hold 40 people! Ridiculous! The other hotels have bigger conference rooms, please try to get them next year.

Also:
I know its a good idea to use the sidewalk, but its very hard to do so when the line for anything in the Hyatt's ballroom is standing there. They take up the entire thing. There was a ton of unused space inside, perhaps a longer queue there? Or maybe roping off the sidewalk down the center half for the line, half for traffic?

This post has been edited by keiichi969: 25 May 2011 - 12:33 AM

#531 User is offline   manga1 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:51 AM

[quote name='Ohki' timestamp='1306191418' post='1014946']
Personally, I wasn't happy that gatherings weren't listed in the program book either. It was ridiculous how many times I found myself chatting with a cosplayer from a mutual fandom and had them ask if I knew when/where the photoshoot and had to say I had no clue because I only printed off the time and place for the Homestuck one on Saturday.

well my only complaint about it is that, they get more love then me even for adult swim stuff that is the polar opposet of anime, where anime has story and reason for things the shows like venture brothers for example show nudity and depravity just to upset the sensabillitys and for no other reason. They get more love then characters I cosplay and they are all japanese anime characters, its not right and not fair at this kind of event that is rightfully supposed to be about japan and anime.
That said I know life is not fair, my characters are obscure, and this is just a mini rant, and I know it is a free contry.

but Yea the line thing about waiting for pre register more then the regular line is an issue that needs addressed.

Signed Jeremy Manga1 The dancing David from the Masq.

#532 User is offline   skyrune83 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 29775

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:21 AM

View Postmanga1, on 25 May 2011 - 12:51 AM, said:

well my only complaint about it is that, they get more love then me even for adult swim stuff that is the polar opposet of anime, where anime has story and reason for things the shows like venture brothers for example show nudity and depravity just to upset the sensabillitys and for no other reason. They get more love then characters I cosplay and they are all japanese anime characters, its not right and not fair at this kind of event that is rightfully supposed to be about japan and anime.
That said I know life is not fair, my characters are obscure, and this is just a mini rant, and I know it is a free contry.

1.) The reason you were probably seeing a lot of Venture Bros fans was because one of the guests, Michael Sinterniklaas does the voice of one of the main characters.
2.) Not all Adult Swim shows are alike. It seems unfair to group them all together and call them "the polar opposite of anime".
3.) I used to hate Venture Bros too. But I've come to learn that they have good episodes and bad episodes, just like ANY show!
4.) How do you know that people love Adult Swim better than your cosplays? It could just be that the people who like your cosplay are less vocal about it.
5.) I too cosplayed an obscure character, Matsushita from Angel Beats. If it bothers you that you're not getting enough attention, then do what I am going to do: try to choose a character you like from a more popular series.
6.) You make it out to be that anime is always innocent and pure. What about High School of the Dead? Detroit Metal City? Panty & Stocking with Garter Belt? There's plenty of fanservice in anime - I don't see how it's any different than the antics they do in Venture Bros.

In general, we all like what we like, and we come to the con to celebrate that we like what we like. In the end, we are allow fellow nerds, so why should we bash each other's likes? (That's why I especially don't understand why so many people are saddened by missing the "Your favorite anime sucks" panel! :huh: )

This post has been edited by skyrune83: 25 May 2011 - 07:29 AM

www.astroth.com
www.ironpawn.com

You may know me as:
Dave Strider: Homestuck
Red Mage: Final Fantasy
Matsushita: Angel Beats
Lil' Slugger (Shounen Bat): Paranoia Agent
J.P. (Junpei): Digimon Frontier

#533 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:09 AM

View Postmanga1, on 25 May 2011 - 12:51 AM, said:

but Yea the line thing about waiting for pre register more then the regular line is an issue that needs addressed.

Signed Jeremy Manga1 The dancing David from the Masq.

Wow. Venture Bros. actually doesn't show a lot of nudity if any at all. It's just a fun show that has some vulgarity in it. Have you even seen it because it is nothing like other Adult Swim shows or what you are describing. It does have a story at times, but it's just a fun adventure about a family. It's meant to be about failure. Just because it isn't anime doesn't mean you have to bash it. There are plenty of anime that are worse than Venture Bros. I cosplayed as Triana from Venture Bros. and I never once got asked for a picture. The only time I got pictures was for group pictures with other Venture Bros. characters after my Venture Bros. panel and after Michael's panel. I kept getting called Ramona or Gaz the whole weekend.

Stop being such an elitist!

This post has been edited by Lina: 25 May 2011 - 08:10 AM

ACen '14 Cosplay

#534 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:30 AM

Everything that could be said about the [AS] comment has pretty much been covered. If being seen and recognized in cosplay is what is desired, obscurity isn't exactly the way to go.

On another note, I expect to see at least one Gumball cosplay next year.

#535 User is offline   Darksilverhawk 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 17462

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:32 AM

I feel like the issue with the lines on the Hyatt sidewalk comes up every year and nothing is ever done about it. At least in the three years I've been attending it's been a consistent problem. It's impossible to get through with the line there. I understand completely that IRT wants to keep people off the street, but trying to keep moving in with people moving in two directions in addition to people lined up on the sidewalk isn't doable; there just isn't enough room. PLEASE get the people in line to move off the sidewalk and onto the grass whenever possible (especially in the area just preceding the doors where it is impossible for walkers to move off to the other side, due to the bushes) so that the people who need the sidewalk can use it.

The smokers seemed to be taking up more than their fair share of the sidewalk, as well. Every time I walked through I felt like I had to push through a maze of them as they were often standing 3-4 people deep. tl:dr; Keep the people who aren't walking on the grass so that the sidewalk can be utilized by the people who need it. (I would also prefer not to have to walk directly through the smokers, but that's probably not a solvable problem without building more sidewalks. Also not saying that the smokers were causing any major problems or hassling people, (most seemed were polite and were trying to stay out of the way, and they were keeping in one area which was very nice) it was, much like the line, a few that were standing in the sidewalk causing problems for people trying to get through.)
Cosplays 2011:
Takenaka Hanbei (Sengoku Basara)[Saturday Daytime] ~ Rival/Silver (Pokemon HG/SS)[Saturday Evening] ~ Miku Hatsune (Festival of Asylum)[Friday] ~ Lolita [Sunday]
Livejournal ~ Cosplay.com ~ Youtube

#536 User is offline   davebb 

• EMRT
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11282

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:34 AM

View PostSaphiraRaworth, on 25 May 2011 - 12:25 AM, said:

__SNIP__
Artie, our new Con Chair, has much in store and things he plans on changing and revising. Give him the chance to improve on what we have failed upon this year. My last word of advice is this; if you believe we need more people in more places, VOLUNTEER. Out of the 175 OF US not everyone showed up, people had been put down medically, or had to leave due to personal reasons. We are always welcoming at-con volunteers. If you think that things aren't running as you expect them to be, stop into the Volunteer HQ and ask if they need more people!
__SNIP__

Ooops. DES ConCenter side I am somewhat responsible for several IRT going down. But its not because they were lazy. This year all the IRT I dealt with actually had medical issues (severe allergies, diabetic and stomach issues). So they had issues beyond their control. They were eager to get back in to the action so I just put them down long enough to recover from their medical issues and they were cleared by either myself or the other medics after they recovered and were back on the floor. My concern is for everyone's health: congoers and staff alike.

As for at con volunteers. DEFINITELY DO, you will see from a different viewpoint and you may wish to join staff for next year and help improve the convention.

Rosa has always done a great job since she was conchair. One of the main problems this year was the fact we had such an influx of people. Also look at Bloo's message here to read about the registration woes and what the cause was. Basically our growth was larger than expected.
Medic 6 : ACen 2014 EMRT ConCenter Supervisor (serving since 2008)
Dave Bukowski -- NREMT-B
EMT-B / EMA
"ask not what ACen can do for you--ask what you can do for ACen"

#537 User is offline   Mystline 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 35204

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:51 AM

View PostLina, on 25 May 2011 - 08:09 AM, said:

Wow. Venture Bros. actually doesn't show a lot of nudity if any at all. It's just a fun show that has some vulgarity in it. Have you even seen it because it is nothing like other Adult Swim shows or what you are describing. It does have a story at times, but it's just a fun adventure about a family. It's meant to be about failure. Just because it isn't anime doesn't mean you have to bash it. There are plenty of anime that are worse than Venture Bros. I cosplayed as Triana from Venture Bros. and I never once got asked for a picture. The only time I got pictures was for group pictures with other Venture Bros. characters after my Venture Bros. panel and after Michael's panel. I kept getting called Ramona or Gaz the whole weekend.

Stop being such an elitist!

I agree, Jesus Christ it's elitists like you that ruin cosplay and cons for me.

#538 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:13 AM

In general, we all like what we like, and we come to the con to celebrate that we like what we like. In the end, we are allow fellow nerds, so why should we bash each other's likes? (That's why I especially don't understand why so many people are saddened by missing the "Your favorite anime sucks" panel! :huh: )

I think you might misunderstand what that panel is about. It gives us all a chance to laugh at ourselves and some of the absolutely hilarous (in a stupid way) things that are in anime. For example, one of my favorite animes is Pretear. For the entire series she complains that she doesn't want to be the hero and they make her. How stupid is that? Just because we think something is stupid doesn't mean we don't like them. This is about laughing WITH eachother. Not AT eachother.

This post has been edited by KungPowKirby: 25 May 2011 - 10:17 AM

No Soap = No Waifu Winner of the 2015 "Got Soap" slogan contest. ;)

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#539 User is offline   SaphiraRaworth 

• IRT
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 7593

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:43 AM

View Postdavebb, on 25 May 2011 - 09:34 AM, said:

Ooops. DES ConCenter side I am somewhat responsible for several IRT going down. But its not because they were lazy. This year all the IRT I dealt with actually had medical issues (severe allergies, diabetic and stomach issues). So they had issues beyond their control. They were eager to get back in to the action so I just put them down long enough to recover from their medical issues and they were cleared by either myself or the other medics after they recovered and were back on the floor. My concern is for everyone's health: congoers and staff alike.

As for at con volunteers. DEFINITELY DO, you will see from a different viewpoint and you may wish to join staff for next year and help improve the convention.

Rosa has always done a great job since she was conchair. One of the main problems this year was the fact we had such an influx of people. Also look at Bloo's message here to read about the registration woes and what the cause was. Basically our growth was larger than expected.

Thank you very much, Medic 6. And if I remember, a few Medics were close to have to be put down themselves because they were trying to hard to make sure everyone else was doing okay. You guys are the ones that make sure we're not bleeding, dying, dehydrated, or sleep-deprived. And without you, this con WOULD NOT work. We'd all be too sick and overworked to know when to go down. So thank you, Medics. Thank you all so much. I hope the majority of you already saw my picture on facebook, because it was made with love <3
Callsign: Raworth

Past ACen Cosplays: Friends & Groups
Lan Group ACen '06 Group ACen '07 ACen '09 ACen '10 ACen '11
Contact Me?
facebook deviantart windows live yahoo twitter

#540 User is offline   davebb 

• EMRT
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11282

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:51 AM

View PostSaphiraRaworth, on 25 May 2011 - 10:43 AM, said:

Thank you very much, Medic 6. And if I remember, a few Medics were close to have to be put down themselves because they were trying to hard to make sure everyone else was doing okay. You guys are the ones that make sure we're not bleeding, dying, dehydrated, or sleep-deprived. And without you, this con WOULD NOT work. We'd all be too sick and overworked to know when to go down. So thank you, Medics. Thank you all so much. I hope the majority of you already saw my picture on facebook, because it was made with love <3

As for the ConCenter I was the primary EMRT member there from open til close each day (except friday which I was about an hour late cause I had a late night run I had to do for con and didn't get to sleep until 3-4am). But was there around 9am to take over. I was the one running around to IRT/Customer Service/Registration/Special Needs booths refilling your water bottles. So basically with that precaution I had less people I had to put down. That was the upside.

On the downside, I never really got a chance to tour the concenter location. I finally made it to Artists Alley about 6pm on Saturday. Then Sunday I hit Vendor hall for about 30 minutes before I had a major medical emergency which required ambulance transport (sorry no details here). I was actually carrying my purchase TO the emergency and left it there under care of IRT (thanks to them for watching all my stuff) while I escorted with Rosemont Public Safety the patient to wait for the ambulance. So wasn't to bad, I was at least able to spend probably 1.5 hours walking around the convention hall for my own personal leisure (after you combine all the 5-10 minute sets I had). :)

But all you congoers and staffers come first. I had a lot of calls, but was happy nothing was serious save for 1 that require transport under my care.
Medic 6 : ACen 2014 EMRT ConCenter Supervisor (serving since 2008)
Dave Bukowski -- NREMT-B
EMT-B / EMA
"ask not what ACen can do for you--ask what you can do for ACen"

• 22 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users