Gripes Got something you want fixed...

#481 User is offline   magicalgamer 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 59317

Posted 23 May 2011 - 01:53 PM

First I will post good things..
1) The disability department was good and attempted to fix all issues as quickly as they were able to.
2) The IRT members at the Samurai Dan line on Sunday. They were friendly, courteous, and had a were having a good time.
3) First floor Hilton panel rooms, these were good sized rooms.
4) The police officers directing traffic.

Things that could be improved.
1) The line forming outside of the Hyatt. There are additional doors further down to get into those ballrooms. Could be start the lines by those doors. This would leave the sidewalk to the street crossing clear.
2) Only reserving rooms that are of adequate space. A fire marshal could have shut down the events in the 2nd floor of the Hilton due to how many people were crammed into the rooms and how packed the hallway was. Only hold events in areas that can be reached without an elevator.
3) Bigger print for the schedules
4) Clearer schedule changes.

Things I did not like.
1) IRT attempting to prevent people from walking through the elevator area in the Hyatt. With the lunch stand set up, we have to walk through their to get to the panel/viewing rooms.
2) The inconsistent line rules. For the Funimation panel, the room was not cleared out before hand. The people at the front of the line enter the room, and their were only a few seats left.
3) The appeared lack of organization by the con in general.

Overall, I am not sure what to make of this year's con being only one day out. I do know that my group will not be attending next year due to the April weekend.

#482 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:09 PM

View PostLara121, on 23 May 2011 - 05:04 AM, said:

1) Registration. I pre-ordered like a smart person. Acen is known as linecon since 2008. Where I had friends wait 8 hours in line and some people waited longer. You ALWAYS pre-order badges for acen. And printers do break down and so do computers. I understand while people get upset about it. If the computers shut down then there's really nothing you can do.

I pre-ordered and the line WAS STILL horrendous on thursday. Plus, you waited with the non-regs until reaching the building so... Reg was quite an issue for a reason this year.
I have a Bookface I have a Bird Sound my snark level is over 9000 : ]
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Compa- hyperdimension nep nep
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#483 User is offline   Taiya 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 10700

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:25 PM

I have a lot to gripe about this year, seeing as it was my sixth year and it was by far the worst.

Gripe One: Autograph lines.

The setup for this year's autograph lines was HORRENDOUS. I can't find any other words to describe it. It was in the middle of nowhere, between two vendors, and the opening was horribly small. Everyone crowded around there even though the lines didn't open until an hour before signing. Also, the times kept changing and changing and changing on Saturday, and no one seemed to announce anything at all. IRT was very pushy and outright mean to those wanting to get into line and the lines were cut off horribly short at less than 70 people, at my estimate. For example, I came in an hour early to get into line for J. Michael Tatum on Saturday and the line had already closed. As I remember, IRT wasn't supposed to close the line until the time of the signing. I don't understand why the staff had to change the autograph location to the middle of nowhere when it was perfectly fine where it used to be, in an open area with a snaked line. It was perfectly fine that way and there were no detrimental problems in the past five years that I've used that line schematic.

Something else that bothered me a lot about the lines was that some IRT guy told us that the autograph session would be "cancelled due to a fire hazard," which was probably the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

I rest my case with the lines.. Just change it back.. PLEASE.

My final gripe is this: The Masq Office times were not put anywhere visible and were not told to the attendees.

I went to the office at 2:30 PM on Saturday, thinking I could get my sister and I in because we had preregistered and I figured it didn't close until the contestants were supposed to meet at 3:45, which is what I last heard. Apparently, the office closed at NOON, and the IRT guy told me that they had "tried to get the message out." Um, really? That's just a load of bull. You can't "get the message out" to 10,000 plus congoers about a TIME CHANGE when you have NO IDEA which ones are going to be in the masquerede.

Thus, my sister and I missed the masq and I was horribly upset. This was the first year I had signed up and I really wanted to showcase our mushroom heartless on stage.

I close my gripes with this: The time communication was horrible and should never be changed in the middle of a con.
ACen '06 Thru '10 Included:
Ming Chao {Et Cetera}; Heen {Howl's Moving Castle}; Schoolgirl!Kairi {Kingdom Hearts II}; and White Mushroom {Kingdom Hearts}

ACen '11 Foretells:
*Friday, Saturday, Sunday: White Mushroom {Kingdom Hearts}

#484 User is offline   Lord Seth 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 60449

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:51 PM

View PostKaay-chan, on 23 May 2011 - 01:14 PM, said:

@Lord Seth, regarding your complaints about the MC's:

You seriously think the MC's are going to be okay with standing for 2 hours? Seriously?
Considering I stand for 3 or more hours on a regular basis for my job and as mentioned have seen other MCs stand, I don't think it's unreasonable.

Are you sure you only got there a half hour late? it started at 5 and ended at 7.
Maybe I was there for longer than I thought. But I do remember I got there at about 5:30. I thought it started at 6 and figured I should get there a half-hour ahead of time.

Also, I liked the MCs. They were funny, and considering the quality of the skits this year, they were doing the best they could (try looking up videos from our Masquerade in 2009; they're the same MC's, and they did a good job then too.)
I admitted that other people might not necessarily agree and even MENTIONED that the skit problems may have been a factor. I also fail to see how whether they were the MCs in 2009 is in any way relevant.

As for your problem with the MC's from last year, you might want to do your research a little first. Those two happen to be fairly big-deal cosplayers here in the mid-west, especially at ACen since that's where they got started. That's why they brought them back this year and why there were so many fangirls cheering in the audience when they came out. My advice would be, from now on, before going to a convention's masquerade for the first time, watch the videos from the last year or two. They're on Youtube.
This part doesn't even seem to make sense. How would "research" somehow change how I felt about them? Whether they're big-time cosplayers or not has absolutely nothing to do with what I said about them.

Also, why would watching videos of the previous masquerades make any difference to how I felt? Outside of the fact that I didn't have these issues with the masquerades of other conventions despite not seeing their previous masquerades, what matters is how it was this year. I didn't like this year's for the reasons I gave. I don't see how watching previous years would change how I felt. It would, at best, allow me to compare it to previous years (e.g. say "it wasn't as good as last year's" or "it was better than last year's, but still wasn't great").

This post has been edited by Lord Seth: 23 May 2011 - 02:59 PM

#485 User is offline   AnimeGeek120 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 59499

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:55 PM

Many of my concerns have already been covered but I still would like to give my two cents.

This was my first ACEN, but not my first con so I am a bit forgiving of certain mishaps, but somethings just really need to be addressed.

1) The location of the autograph sessions. I had the map in the book and I asked for help at at the information desk, but it was still very difficult to find. Once I got there, I found the room to be unbearably hot. I will fully admit I AM A WHIMP! But even so, I was getting lightheaded while I was in there. If it could be in some place a little cooler or possibly put some fans in there next year that would be awesome.

2)Panel being cancelled or having time changes. Is there anyway that there could be an info desk in each of the locations? I saw a sign in the Hyatt about changes but unless I needed to go by that area there was no way I would see that. Or may be an app for iPods or iPhones. (I have no idea how feasible that woud be and I know not everyone has those but that might help.)

Overall I did enjoy myself and I will try to come back in future years, but those are two issues I just really wanted to bring up.

#486 User is offline   sourstrawroxors 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 2353

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:15 PM

View PostHobbes, on 23 May 2011 - 09:33 AM, said:

Regarding all gripes about elevators: Please read both of these posts from different congoers about the state of elevators at the Hyatt, and please draw your own conclusions. Emphasis mine.

Each time my group visited or passed the elevators there was nobody regulating the lines.

Being short-staffed is definitely a drawback, I can understand why it makes it difficult to spare someone for something like this, but there is a point during the con where it becomes almost a necessity. Someone else suggested asking for volunteers for elevator patrol and I would certainly second this idea. This way, IRT would not have to concern themselves with the crowd of con-goers hanging about the elevators waiting to get to their rooms unless something gets out of hand and they are called to handle it. With elevators being a repeat problem for the last few years in particular (I'd say from about 2006-present) there ought to be some attendees willing to split shifts on different days in order to keep this area cleared up. I wouldn't mind doing it for a few hours out of a day during the weekend-- if you can get volunteers in general, is it too difficult to think about posting a couple near the elevators in order to keep things running a bit more smoothly?

As far as people cramming into them-- no matter if the weight limit is 1,000 or 3,000 lbs, these machines were not meant to run *constantly*, which is what happens during a convention as large as ACen. There is no real 'down-time' for the elevators. The weight limit also does not have much to do with the amount of people, either- at least not in an immediate sense. Some costumes and props are heavy and can add weight and take up space regardless of how many people are inside the elevator. I would suggest that no more than 7 to 10 people be allowed into the elevator at any given time during the convention. This may seem as though it would slow things down, but I really think it would make the flow of people getting on and off a much smoother and less harrowing experience.
Don't hate me because you're beautiful :)

#487 User is offline   P-Bear 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 59555

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:19 PM

View PostGabichox, on 23 May 2011 - 01:27 PM, said:

Wow, really?
During the line for the soapbubble, multiple times when someone walked past there was a scent of weed following after. Around the front doors to the ballroom, I could smell it mixed in with cigarette smoke. I'd walk into an elevator and it smelled like weed. I'm sorry if you didn't smell it and consider my gripe invalid, but it's extremely rude of you to say that. My friends smelled it too so I'm not just spouting nonsense. Even those that are ok with drugs were put off by it. I understand there's not much you can do if they're smoking in their rooms but at least a warning or chastisement would suffice.
I didn't see that post stating there is nothing we could do about drunks until after I posted (I'm on a phone and can't scroll well) and I understand what Rabbi said. However, I do think there should be more IRT paying attention to the drunks and watching for potential hazards. The only thing they seemed keen on doing were warning people not to have bags and telling them to keep off of the sidewalks.
I have nothing against people drinking. I'm not 5. I understand that adults in America partake in adult beverages. But when they go crazy with it and harrass congoers, I have a problem. That's what ruined the con for me. Wouldn't that ruin it for you? If your friend or you were pestered by people to touch you or had people shouting in your ear because they're drunk? Guessssss it's just me.

I could've sworn there was a rule about free hugs signs. D: is there?

If you had left it at "the con reeked," I'd have agreed with you. I myself never noticed any doobie smell, but the scent of unwashed bodies and greasy hair seemed to permeate everything. By the end of the weekend, the Hilton elevators smelled as if someone had bottled the odor of sweaty, unwiped buttcrack and blasted it everywhere with a high-pressure hose, and that's a little more offensive to me than the smell of marijuana.
"Thursday Night Meet 'n Greet" OG (the insane one, not that pancake one)

#488 User is offline   Pashy-chan 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 16936

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:22 PM

Ahhh.. So... This was my 6th ACen.. and.. err.. to say the least, it honestly wasn't one of my favorites.. Many people have already addressed some of the issues I've felt myself, so I'll speak only of my biggest two gripes..

1) Since my first year at ACen and in comparison to other conventions, the quality of Masquerade skits have completely dropped, in all honesty. From what I hear, entrance into the Masquerade is based on how soon you sign up, and how fast you are prepared, but I honestly feel that something as important as one of the biggest Main Events of the con should be judged even at auditioning. I understand wanting to give everyone whose ready a fair chance, but is it really fair to the audience to have us wait 2 hours just to sit through skit after skit with an inaudiable sound quality? Or watch a performance where members were clearly unprepared? I heard mutters and mentionings of this throughout the audience during the masquerade, and I had to agree whole heartedly. Will it take more time and effort for auditions to be judged? Of course, but it will clearly impact the quality of skits..

2) Gabichox mentioned this earlier, and I'm with her 110%. Saturday night REEKED of weed, everywhere. While I understand that the convention has no policy against drinking, it seems our concerns with smoking and drug use went completely disregarded.. As someone with asthma, it frustrated me to not only see so much smoking within the SOAP bubble line, but that people had the audacity to even shoot up and smoke hookah RIGHT outside the side entrance to the Hyatt. Smoke is one of the most common triggers for an asthma attack, and while hookah is legal, for it to be disregarded by IRT that entire time while so many of us congoers had to wait in line within that same exact area was beyond me. That was completely ridiculous.
ACen 2011: Cosplays have been determined-ish!!!!

Iris - Pokemon Black/White ::: 75%
Female Wario ::: 10%
Ganguro Gal ::: 90%

~TekoMuto Fangirl~

Hello, my name is Poshy...

#489 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 28448

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:23 PM

View PostLord Seth, on 23 May 2011 - 02:51 PM, said:

Considering I stand for 3 or more hours on a regular basis for my job and as mentioned have seen other MCs stand, I don't think it's unreasonable.

Maybe I was there for longer than I thought. But I do remember I got there at about 5:30. I thought it started at 6 and figured I should get there a half-hour ahead of time.

I admitted that other people might not necessarily agree and even MENTIONED that the skit problems may have been a factor. I also fail to see how whether they were the MCs in 2009 is in any way relevant.

This part doesn't even seem to make sense. How would "research" somehow change how I felt about them? Whether they're big-time cosplayers or not has absolutely nothing to do with what I said about them.

Also, why would watching videos of the previous masquerades make any difference to how I felt? Outside of the fact that I didn't have these issues with the masquerades of other conventions despite not seeing their previous masquerades, what matters is how it was this year. I didn't like this year's for the reasons I gave. I don't see how watching previous years would change how I felt. It would, at best, allow me to compare it to previous years (e.g. say "it wasn't as good as last year's" or "it was better than last year's, but still wasn't great").

1) I highly doubt you have to stand in cosplay. I couldn't see their shoes, but not all cosplays involve "standing friendly" shoes.

2) My point is, they're good MC's. They didn't have a lot to work with this year, but two years a go they did have comments that played off of the skits.

3) You never said what it was, exactly, that bothered you about Zach (I hope I spelled that right ><;;;) and Jim. I thought that maybe what rubbed you the wrong way might have been the personas that they put on on stage. Some of it was references to last year. Some of it was because Zach has to put up with always having fangirls begging him to strip, because he's Stripper Vash (while I am a huge Stripper Vash fan, I can understand why that might get really annoying and why he might be trying to get away from that).

Another gripe I had concerning Masque was this: Almost all of the walk ons, with maybe a few exceptions, didn't pose nearly long enough for me to get any decent pictures. I understand that there is a time limit for how long they can be on stage, but I would rather see them in fewer posts and actually be able to get some decent pictures that aren't blurred, than see multiple poses poses and not be able to get any photographs of them.
Cosplay 2012: Mitsuki Saya (Black Cat), Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai)
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;

"A blank piece of paper is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God."
-Sidney Sheldon

#490 User is offline   saucey_do 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 21084

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:26 PM

At the rave I had a HUGE problem with IRT because of one stupid incident. Someone started a conga line, and me and my friends joined it. The IRT told us all to stop, so as me and my friend were about to dive out of it, the IRT shoved us all apart from our shoulders. Now I know we weren't supposed to be conga-ing, but i DO NOT like to be touched like that. We were going to separate, but I would at least like two seconds for everyone to slow down and get out of the conga before getting shoved by an IRT. I guess what I'm saying is I DON'T want IRT touching or shoving me at all unless I did something truly wrong or was in a drunken rage or running away like some other guys i saw getting tackled. I feel like it was completely unnecessary force for the circumstance.
And that is my rant. At least now i know not to ever conga...
ACEN 2011:
Robot Unicorn!!!

#491 User is offline   Isamu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8918

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:26 PM

I was saddened that the your favorite anime sucks panel wasn't allowed back.
"Frank and explicit"-that is the right line to take when you wish to conceal your own mind and to confuse the minds of others.
Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they didn't, they'd be married too.
Santa on the crapper is officially dead.
Acens attended. 2001,2002,2007-2011.
STVO the 2013 Hellfire champ.

#492 User is offline   madhattr999 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 50679

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:29 PM

View Postskyrune83, on 23 May 2011 - 01:24 PM, said:

In general, things went smoother this year than last year for me personally. Here are my main complaints:

1.) The 2nd floor rooms in the Hilton are waaaaay too undersized for ACen panels. And the intensely hot hallway was very narrow with little room to line up for things. I was going to attend the "Cosplay for Fat People" panel, and I think the room was undersized by about 50 people....

I'm sorry, but re-read the above statement, and tell me you cannot help but laugh.. Is it undersized by about 50 fat people or 50 regular-sized people? I just found this really funny. I'm not trying to poke fun at anyone in particular, as I'm a big guy, myself :D

But in all seriousness, I agree with some of the panels being too large for the room they were being hosted in. Death Note Mafia on Saturday night had about twice as many people as seats.

Here is a list of my GRIPES:

1. Main Event Backlog on Friday - Many people have already posted on this.. It happens that events get delayed, especially at a big con.. So I wasn't even that upset about all the main events being pushed back 90 minutes. But I was upset that very few of the staff working the area seemed to have any clue what was going on. I kept getting turned away from panels that were still going on (for no good reason) because they didn't know what was actually happening at the time. A couple times I got told an event had ended that HADN'T ended. Plus, the confusion for the people in line is even worse.. Which brings me to my next point.

2. Event Line Management - Really bad.... Really bad.. but I was expecting it.. The whole "no lining up until 30 minutes before" thing is retarded. I knew it would be retarded, so I wasn't particularly surprised. My solution was just not to wait in line. I will show up after everyone has gone inside, and walk up to the front of the room and have a seat. Problem solved :)

3. Autograph Line Policy Consistency - As other people already stated, there wasn't any. It's a problem.

4. Autograph Schedule on Sunday - I knew it was screwed up a week before the con, and I wasn't even staff. You can look at the schedule and see it doesn't make sense. There are two rooms and 3 conflicting timeslots. I posted on the forum and it went ignored. This should have been caught sooner. Plus the already mentioned fact that the autograph schedule was not in the program guide.

5. Smokers in Crowded Areas - It sucks. Staff already kinda commented on this and gave an explanation as to why they can't solve it. So that's fine. I just wanted to add my voice to the voices of discontent.

Non-Issues:

1. Elevators: My room was in the executive wing.. Didn't have a single issue all weekend. Maybe the executive wing is just special though.

2. Security: Aside from being uninformed sometimes, no problems.

3. Guest Quality: It's fine.. Woulda liked maybe a bit more for Japanese guests, but it was ok.

4. Masquerade Quality: Also fine.. Not amazing, but really nothing to do with the staff or the people working for the convention. I will say I liked the previous years masquerade hosts much better (way funnier)... So it was nice to see that they finished things up.

5. Signage, Maps, Directions - While it could have been done better, convention goers should be looking at maps in advance and doing their own part to figure out where stuff is. Don't complain that you can't find autographs when you show up in the convention center 5 minutes before they are about to start. It took me about 5 seconds to realize they aren't where they were last year. And other 5 seconds to look at the map in my program guide and figure out where they were this year.

Things Done Well

Um... Nothing really shouts out at me.. I guess no news is good news.. Most of my gripes did not affect me that much. I had fun and got to take a lot of pictures of awesome cosplays and met fun guests. The events were pretty good. So.. Good job ACEN! But please solve all the above problems for everyone who isn't as tolerant as I am.

#493 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Costume Events Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:50 PM

View Postizy, on 22 May 2011 - 10:30 PM, said:

One thing i have noticed in these comments is almost everyone seems to be concerned with the photo shoots not being in the books. the reason for this us because the photo shoots are not ACEN events. but rather they are private events and their schedules are made by people outside of convention staff, and run by people outside of convention staff. the schedules for these events usually show up on the forums but ultimately since ACEN is not running these events we do not get the information about them.

please don't think i am taking a side here as i am not. i agree it would be nice to have the information for those available however i want to make sure everyone knows who the appropriate contact people would be so these issues can be addressed.

thanks

That may have been true 3-4 years ago, but now the gatherings fall under costuming events. The reason it wasn't in the book this year was because it was too big. We did do our best to get as many copies as we could put up and out, but there was quite a bit going on.

And for those of you with feedback for the cosplay gatherings, there is now a thread for it!
http://www.acen.org/...splay-feedback/

#494 User is offline   Bloo09 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 17891

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:59 PM

I have answered many questions about what happened in registration in the following topic CLICK ME and will have a new topic for Q&A I will be posting in the following days when I have all of the information gathered to answer all of your questions openly and honestly. Please feel free to reply in the topic I linked and I will keep up with it as best I can to answer every post. You are also welcome to private message me for private conversations if you would prefer. Or email us at Registration@ACen.org. All of my management have just arrived home today so we will be doing our best to catch up with the emails.
ACen 14 - Panel Programming Department Head and Crystal Ball Manager
ACen 12 - 14 - ACen & Anime Central Facebook Group(s) Administrator
ACen 13 - Panel Programming Department Head and Crystal Ball Manager, ACen 12 - Panel Programming Dept. Head and Crystal Ball Manager,
ACen 11 - Reg Dept. Head, ACen 10 - Reg Dept. Head, ACen 09 - Reg Asst. Dept. Head, ACen 08 - Guest Relations staff, ACen 07 - IRT Guest Escort

Please contact me if you have any questions, comments or concerns regarding Panel Programming for Anime Central. PanelProgramming@ACen.org.
If you have any questions about the Crystal Ball please email CrystalBall@ACen.org

My private messages are now disabled. Between friend invite spam, and forum notices as a moderator I was missing panel related private messages. Please email us to contact panels, thank you!

#495 User is offline   Lord Seth 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 60449

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:32 PM

View PostKaay-chan, on 23 May 2011 - 03:23 PM, said:

1) I highly doubt you have to stand in cosplay. I couldn't see their shoes, but not all cosplays involve "standing friendly" shoes.
Well, I only threw out the standing thing because it might help make them feel more animated and allows them to "interact" more. I stated that I wasn't sure if it would have helped or not. You seem to be taking my statements as more definite than they were.

2) My point is, they're good MC's. They didn't have a lot to work with this year, but two years a go they did have comments that played off of the skits.
I don't think I ever said they were bad MCs. I said I didn't think they did a good job this year. And as I said then and said again and will say one more time, I noted that one of the problems may have been there not being a lot to work with.

3) You never said what it was, exactly, that bothered you about Zach (I hope I spelled that right ><;;;) and Jim. I thought that maybe what rubbed you the wrong way might have been the personas that they put on on stage. Some of it was references to last year. Some of it was because Zach has to put up with always having fangirls begging him to strip, because he's Stripper Vash (while I am a huge Stripper Vash fan, I can understand why that might get really annoying and why he might be trying to get away from that).
Well, as I said, I actually don't know what I didn't like about them, which is perhaps what bugs me all the more. There was something that bugged me and I just can't figure it out. That's why I admitted that I wasn't sure what my issue was.

Regardless, I don't think there's much to be gained by arguing about my comments. I stated my thoughts, mentioned that I wasn't necessarily in the majority, and admitted when I didn't know something.

On an unrelated note, regarding the errors in the handbook (e.g. the feedback session not being on the grid), here are some possible ways to help people make corrections:
1) Mention any necessary corrections in Opening Ceremonies. Obviously there are plenty of people who don't go there, but it's a great opportunity to tell some people.
2) At the information booth where they were giving out the handbooks, maybe put a few sheets telling people edits they should make in their books.

Another gripe I had concerning Masque was this: Almost all of the walk ons, with maybe a few exceptions, didn't pose nearly long enough for me to get any decent pictures. I understand that there is a time limit for how long they can be on stage, but I would rather see them in fewer posts and actually be able to get some decent pictures that aren't blurred, than see multiple poses poses and not be able to get any photographs of them.
If money isn't a problem, one possibility is to get a recording camera. Then you can just pick individual frames that are good and use them as pictures, plus it gives you the option to record the whole thing to rewatch it, rather than just going by pictures.

This post has been edited by Lord Seth: 23 May 2011 - 04:37 PM

#496 User is offline   madhattr999 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:39 PM

View PostLord Seth, on 23 May 2011 - 04:32 PM, said:

If money isn't a problem, one possibility is to get a recording camera. Then you can just pick individual frames that are good and use them as pictures, plus it gives you the option to record the whole thing to rewatch it, rather than just going by pictures.

Taking frames from a movie is MUCH lower quality than your standard digital camera quality. Even at 1080p, each frame is something like a 2.1 megapixel image. Considering most cameras take still frames at 12 megapixels (mine is 14).. it is a huge drop in quality.

#497 User is offline   Ohki 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8930

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:56 PM

Personally, I wasn't happy that gatherings weren't listed in the program book either. It was ridiculous how many times I found myself chatting with a cosplayer from a mutual fandom and had them ask if I knew when/where the photoshoot and had to say I had no clue because I only printed off the time and place for the Homestuck one on Saturday.

View PostUltra Yak, on 22 May 2011 - 10:23 PM, said:

AND SPEAKING OF COSPLAYERS!

What the F was UP with all the Disney Princess cosplay...i understand that people are free to cosplay as whatever they want, but this is an ANIME CONVENTION, as in FROM JAPAN...or influenced by Japan...there was even a staggering amount of the superheroes like Captain America and Deadpool, which admittedly was pretty entertaining, but that's a COMIC CON thing, NOT an ANIME thing...This was the first year of ACEN i actualy DID NOT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH NARUTO AND BLEACH FANS, but instead were overshadowed by the movie characters, superheroes, disney princesses, and VERY BAD CROSSPLAY...and on a side note, what's the big deal with Hetalia and Homestuck? I heard Hetalia was pretty decent, but i have never ONCE heard of an ANIME named Homestuck...Honestly the cosplay for Homestuck creeped me out and i could count a good 60 of them at the meet-up for it, which i ran into coming out of the side exit to the Hyatt. Don't get me wrong, there were good cosplays, but a good number of them were in the wrong con.

Sorry, but this complaint is ridiculous, and I'm not just saying that because I cosplayed Sis Strider from Homestuck. At the end of the day, trying to police someone's cosplay is like trying to police what people at the con wear. Which sounds to me like a dress code. Which is. You know. One of everyone's least favorite things about high school. Cosplaying is for fun, and it's a "nerdy" hobby that you can't really get away with in many places. Also honestly, chances are you WILL find Disney fans or Homestuck fans or superhero fans or whatever else fans at any given anime con. They're a valid part of the convention and they're nowhere near ~taking over~. Deal with it.
South Korea likes breasts.
Ukraine has breasts.
She has them in spades.
If South Korea and Ukraine were to hook up...
Then South Korea would never have a shortage of breasts ever again.

#498 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 28448

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:08 PM

View PostLord Seth, on 23 May 2011 - 04:32 PM, said:

Besides what Madhatter said, money is an issue. I'm a college student. I'm lucky I have the money that I do to attend ACen.

Not to mention the fact that part of the point of them posing to begin with is so people can take pictures. Them posing for so short a time defeats the purpose.

Also, sorry for getting so defensive about the whole MC thing. Besides the fact that I felt like they were one of the only things that made masquerade bearable this year, as I said before I'm a huge Stripper Vash and Voltz fan, so I may have gotten more defensive about things than meant to/ should have been.
Cosplay 2012: Mitsuki Saya (Black Cat), Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai)
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;

"A blank piece of paper is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God."
-Sidney Sheldon

#499 User is offline   madhattr999 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:28 PM

View PostOhki, on 23 May 2011 - 04:56 PM, said:

AND SPEAKING OF COSPLAYERS!

What the F was UP with all the Disney Princess cosplay...i understand that people are free to cosplay as whatever they want, but this is an ANIME CONVENTION, as in FROM JAPAN...or influenced by Japan...there was even a staggering amount of the superheroes like Captain America and Deadpool, which admittedly was pretty entertaining, but that's a COMIC CON thing, NOT an ANIME thing...This was the first year of ACEN i actualy DID NOT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH NARUTO AND BLEACH FANS, but instead were overshadowed by the movie characters, superheroes, disney princesses, and VERY BAD CROSSPLAY...and on a side note, what's the big deal with Hetalia and Homestuck? I heard Hetalia was pretty decent, but i have never ONCE heard of an ANIME named Homestuck...Honestly the cosplay for Homestuck creeped me out and i could count a good 60 of them at the meet-up for it, which i ran into coming out of the side exit to the Hyatt. Don't get me wrong, there were good cosplays, but a good number of them were in the wrong con.

It's sad but i may consider a different con next year, or later this year and skip ACEN 2012...as it being the 15th anniversary is just asking for a worse experience for me.

Sorry, but this complaint is ridiculous, and I'm not just saying that because I cosplayed Sis Strider from Homestuck. At the end of the day, trying to police someone's cosplay is like trying to police what people at the con wear. Which sounds to me like a dress code. Which is. You know. One of everyone's least favorite things about high school. Cosplaying is for fun, and it's a "nerdy" hobby that you can't really get away with in many places. Also honestly, chances are you WILL find Disney fans or Homestuck fans or superhero fans or whatever else fans at any given anime con. They're a valid part of the convention and they're nowhere near ~taking over~. Deal with it.

I agree with above. It's not sad for us. If you are SO intolerant that you can't stand non-anime cosplay, then you don't belong at an anime convention. It's simple. DON'T come back. You'll be happy, and everyone else will be happy. GTFO. Problem solved.

#500 User is offline   MuffinSquire 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 58477

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:29 PM

I have a couple of things to say about ACen. This was my first year, so I can't compare it to anything. but still.

1 - I was in the artist alley, along with two friends. When I went to pick up our badges, only one of them was printed. I know that there was a printer issue, but this could have been dealt with a few different ways. I think it would have been really helpful to make temporary badges or something--just a piece of paper that you stick into the plastic bit at the end of your lanyard that says 'artist' or 'vendor' or 'panelist' or 'staff' or whatever, signed by both the badge holder and the exhibit hall head. It's not perfect, but might have been helpful in the short run. This leads me to gripe number 2...

2 - While we were behind the table, we had to bring food in so we could eat. I was the only one in the studio with a badge, but we aren't supposed to let someone else wear our badges, and I'm the studio head, so the other two had to go out badgeless. One of our studio members was walking back with a bag of food and did not get her badge checked even one time. At another point, our other studio member was stopped by a badger IRT and obviously didn't have a badge. The IRT didn't want to let him through (which was fine, and his job) but did not seem to know that a lot of the artists did not have badges yet, or that the place that he needed to get the badge from was past him, so my friend had to stand there convincing the IRT member that he was, in fact, allowed to be there.

3 - This has been said by just about everyone, but communication, and the informing of the IRT and staff. So very important. On Thursday evening I was going in to get out badges. Since this was my first ACen (and my first time to Illinois, so I had never even been to the convention center), I didn't know where they alley was. I asked an IRT where it was and where we could pick up our badges. He didn't know, so he called over his superior, who also didn't know. He asked on the headset where I was to be sent, and after an awkward several minutes of them waiting for an answer that never came, he guessed and told me to go over to the Hyatt. I was fairly sure that wasn't right, based on what I'd read on the forums, so I went and found another IRT. Having signs posted would have been hugely helpful. Bonus points for bright colors.
3.5 - Also on communication. Most of the conventions we go to/have been to (Anime Detour, CONvergence, various film-related conventions) have a consuite of some sort. We assumed there would be one. It's okay that there wasn't, I understand that consuites are expensive, we just expected one at a con of this size. Anyway, one of my studio mates was off looking for one, asking various staffers and getting completely different answers from each one: "Try the ballroom, where the other raves are," "Check upstairs, with the other panels," "We don't have one," "We have one for venders and staff only," "We have one but I don't know where it is." It was incredibly frustrating.

4 - The convention booklet. I can see some advantages of having the panels listed alphabetically, but I (and everyone I talked to) thought it would have made much more sense to have them listed chronologically, on the pages where they were described. For example, the top of the page would say Friday, and then there would be a list of the Friday panels with their descriptions. So on and so forth for Saturday and Sunday.

5 - One final thing--maps. Like I said, I'm not from Chicago or even Illinois, so I did not know the area at all. I don't have a smart phone, and I didn't carry my laptop on me because I knew I wouldn't be using it. It was super awesome that all those food places were listed in the back of the booklet, but it would have been really nice f there was a map of the area available somewhere--on the wall, or at the information booth or something. I had to find a staffer with a smartphone to figure out where anything was.
Yo.

#501 User is offline   Kokoro 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 19175

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:53 PM

This was my first year at Acen. And I'm not sure I'll ever be coming back. Do you know what my companion said as we were driving home late Sunday? "That convention was so screwed up." And I agree. After just a few hours to the con it became incredibly clear that the staff simply couldn't effectively run Acen. At all. And almost everyone I ended up talking to while we waited in various lines agreed. I heard more past Acen "horror stories" than I can count. So many people were talking about how unorganized this con is. Two other Acen n00bs I met both said they'll never come back. One guy in line for FLOW said he won't come back until they get a sponsorship and paid staff. I get his point.

Let me say that like many people, I spent a lot of money to come to Acen in gas, hotel fees, parking fees, meals, etc. Going to Acen is NOT cheap. Now, I don't expect perfection. No con can ever be perfect. There will be mistakes, cancellations, etc. But what I DO expect is competence and organization, and Acen/the staff had neither of these things.

IRT knew JACK SQUAT. Let me repeat: JACK. SQUAT. Every single IRT member I asked about ANYTHING had a different answer, and this resulted in some major problems. At one point, on Sunday, when we were walking outside and passed a group of, like, 8 IRT people chatting, a guy walking behind me said, "wow, IRT actually talks to one another?" I burst out laughing. But in reality, the situation wasn't funny at all. The incompetence created a massive amount of stress for my companion and I. It really ruined a lot of the whole experience.

I don't even know where to begin. Maybe I'll begin here, though - this forum. I joined this forum as an Acen n00b so I could get the questions I had answered. I go to conventions mainly for guests, so I wanted to be able to hit a number of panels and autograph signings. Seeing that Acen is so big, I knew that would require a lot of well-timed running around, so I wanted a few things cleared up. ALMOST EVERY ANSWER I RECEIVED ON THIS FORUM FROM STAFF TURNED OUT TO BE WRONG.

1. Are bags allowed in the concert?
I was told yes, bags/backpacks/purses will indeed be allowed in the concert. I specifically asked because I knew at that time we still probably wouldn't have a hotel room, and even if our room was open by 3-4:00pm, we wouldn't have time to run all the way back there beforehand (we weren't at the Hyatt). The program book also said NOTHING about bags not being allowed in the concerts. And yet, while in line for the concert, IRT was running up and down the line shouting that no bags, not even tiny purses, would be allowed, because they might conceal a camera or phone. Many people, myself included, argued that we hadn't been told this (we had, in fact, been told the opposite), that we needed our bags, that we didn't have a hotel room/couldn't run back at such late notice, etc etc. IRT didn't care. Nothing would budge them. So my companion, who really isn't that into anime and whatnot, offered to hold all the bags and wait so that I could go into the concert. I was really upset by this, because I wanted her to experience it, but that's what we did. She ran to get a quick bite to eat while I entered the concert. So imagine my confusion when I started seeing TONS of people walking into the concert with huge bags of merchandise, backpacks, shoulder bags...you name it. All of the sudden, after SWEK finally left the stage, my companion showed up! We enjoyed the concert, and afterward she informed me that after sitting outside and noticing people entering with bags, she finally asked IRT what was going on. IRT said they were trying to be "friendly" and were now letting people with bags in. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Well, needless to say, she was fuming mad. Even more so later because she enjoyed the concert very much, and was incredibly glad she didn't have to miss it. But she almost did. THERE WERE PEOPLE IN LINE WHO LEFT BECAUSE THEY COULDN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT THEIR BAGS. AND IRT, IT IS COMPLETELY YOUR FAULT THAT THEY MISSED THIS CONCERT FOR ABSOLUTELY NO REASON. There are no words for how unacceptable this is.

2. Do you have to clear the room after a panel?
I asked this because I was planning on sitting through some panels so I would have a great seat for Yoshiki. That was my second biggest goal for this con. I was told that you can sit through as many panels as you like without having to move, as they only clear the room after main programming events. Well, after sitting through 3 panels in the front row, all excited for Yoshiki (with about 8-10 other people), a staff member came out and told everyone we had to leave so that they could get ready. WHAT? So we all had to exit and get in the back of a line that had already formed, after waiting 1-3 hours in the room. I was upset beyond words. Thankfully, I still managed to get a good seat. Also, I was extremely angry that the SWEK and FLOW concert were indeed one concert. I asked numerous questions about this - would I have to sit through SWEK to see FLOW? Would the SWEK audience be cleared from the room for the line of FLOW people? NO! They're two concerts! And YES! The room will be cleared! Or so IRT told me. Not true at all. Not only were the concerts delayed, but they were indeed one concert.

3. LINES. Wow, IRT. Just wow. This is one of the issues that makes me never want to come to Acen again. You have no idea where a line should go. You have two lines at once. You don't know when a line is allowed to start. Etc etc. First of all, the 30 minute rule? You didn't even attempt to follow this. I had faith despite the people here saying it would never work. I should have listened to them. You didn't even try. People were lining up hours in advance without a peep from IRT wandering around on the scene. Why make a fuss over a new rule when you have no interest in enforcing it? Secondly, IRT doesn't know where to have people line up. You don't even have some cheap signs printed out saying "line starts here/do not line up here," etc. Over 20,000 people and you can't even do something as simple as that? The worst moment of mine at Acen came during the line for the FLOW concert. We were lined up inside, pretty close to the front. My MAIN goal of the weekend was to get a great spot for FLOW. It meant a lot to me. I wanted to be up front. So I was sure to show up early and sacrifice going to other events to wait in line. Unfortunately, IRT had to screw everything up. We were told to line up inside when we asked IRT just to be safe. Then, after a decent amount of time passed, we were told to move outside. Okay, fine. OH, BUT WAIT. THERE'S A LINE OF ABOUT 100 PEOPLE OR SO OUTSIDE. I was almost in tears. There were two lines at once. Why didn't the IRT people inside say something? This happened TWICE, too! Thankfully it didn't happen to us, though. Apparently a group of people in line for the opening ceremonies were told to stand outside when, in fact, the line was inside. They came in upset, arguing with IRT about how they had been waiting. IRT said they couldn't do anything, but we let them skip us in line, because apparently they had been waiting before any of us, even. IRT, I have no words for this kind of incompetence. It truly blows me away. No excuses, period.

Let me give another example. A girl was told the Yoshiki panel had been canceled, but that there would be an autograph session. So she waited by the area where the autograph sessions were held. After the panel everyone rushed to that area to get in line, in addition to some newcomers who showed up shortly after. The people who had been at the panel were given priority and got to line up first. The girl who was told there WAS no panel had to go to the end of the line because obviously she didn't attend a panel she thought didn't exist. I have no clue if she got her autograph, because Yoshiki was having a hard time with signings due to his injured hand. But I sure hope she did. Because if she didn't, SURPRISE, it's IRT's fault again.

4. Not enforcing the rules. I've already mentioned some of these instances, but another occurred during an autograph session where two girls were getting about 10 items signed, possibly more. Seriously. And then, even after it was announced that no personal recordings were allowed, they recorded the guest saying some lines for, I would say, about 3-4 minutes. At one point we started staring very pointedly at the staff person there, wondering why the hell she wasn't do anything, and she just shrugged when we finally caught her eye and gestured toward the girls. NOT ACCEPTABLE. You have rules for a reason. ENFORCE THEM. There was a decent line, and we all have other places to go afterward.

Cancellations and time changes were an issue too. Every time this happened we were informed a good 20-30 minutes or more after what was supposed to be the starting time for the event/panel/etc. I heard so many mixed things about what was going on with Yoshiki too. One IRT member told me he had a family emergency and flew back to Japan. Really?

Also, Acen needs to ask special guests if they require autograph seekers to purchase merchandise from them in order to get an autograph, and make a note of that in the pamphlet or ask them to sell merchandise at the autograph tables. We had to go to the end of a very long line for FLOW's autograph session (after originally being about the 5th person in line) so we could buy a CD at the table eventually set up in the back of the room. So we lost our place in line, and were lucky to get an autograph. Some of the people in line had purchased a CD or shirt already, but it was back in their hotel rooms.

I never ran into truly disgruntled or mean IRT members, but I did run into IRT members who brushed off everything people said and seemed very disinterested in the whole thing. They clearly just didn't really care. Also, microphones. Get some, please. We could never hear what IRT was trying to shout to the hundreds of people in line. And please don't talk down to people. I'm a 23-year-old woman, yet I got referred to as "honey." I don't think so.

Lastly, not having the autograph sessions in the book is one of the most stupid things I've ever heard of. Sorry, no other way to put it. And not having copies of it for people to at least pick up, just a SINGLE SHEET at the information booth to look at, was ridiculous. Especially as they kept changing.

I really don't know if I want to return to Acen.

This post has been edited by Kokoro: 23 May 2011 - 05:54 PM

Rawr. ♥

#502 User is offline   makashuu 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 19792

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:54 PM

I already commented in the soapbubble thread so I won't repeat myself here. My only other issue was a big one though. It is with the reg people. I know you had lots of issues and you have said that you are thinking about trying to fix it. BUT. I did pre-reg and mailing - and got my badge on Tuesday before the con. My badge got lost in the mail or something? I don't know. I will be willing to pay extra for shipping information - like a tracking number. Pre-con is super stressful with trying to get costumes finished, being in charge of a hotel room - getting money and everything around for that. Having the badge mailed is supposed to be a convenience - and it was such a problem. Made me super stressed out - I sent a passive aggressive nasty email to the reg ppl - and I apologize for that. The reg people were prolly up to their ears in emails and things - but having the bages get lost in the mail? Not a good excuse. Send them out earlier! There are ways to make the attendee list in excel that will automatically update when payment is receive , the badge is printed and the thing is mailed. That could help organize things a bit. I know they are volunteers and all. We do pay for this though - something needs to be fixed. I just don't want to have to worry about where my badge is right up till the con. Don't need that extra stress.
Cosplay 2011:
Sakura, summer school uniform - Card Captor Sakura
Link - Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Snorlax - Pokemon
Ico - Ico

#503 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6522

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:59 PM

There are two areas that I'm seeing a lot of complaints about that I'd like to address. Before I do, however, I'd like to point out that the hotel is not our property, we only rent it for a weekend. We have no legal right to dictate how they run their business, or handle known areas of difficulty.

First is the smoking area by the Ballroom entrance. Yes, we realize that it's hazardous to individuals with respiratory problems and illegal by state law. I've been working the past year to get them to move it to a more remote section of the driveway area (Just ask our HCSR Manager, I've made a major PITA of myself over this) with no luck at all. This is not something that Hyatt is willing to do anything about, and since we are not law enforcement, it is up to you, the victim, to respond by complaining to the proper authorities (RPD, The Illinois State Attorney, the ACLU, whoever will listen.) Even if they decided to move the smoking area to the middle of the lobby, there isn't a dang thing we could do about it.

As for the elevators, we know about that, too. We try to ride them, same as you. But this is also one of those things where Hyatt is the only one that has the authority to change anything. Someone suggested posting volunteers, and personally I love the idea. I've submitted similar proposals myself. But we can't just pluck volunteers out of the air. Someone has to step forward ans say "I'll pitch in." Even if we did have enough people, (Let's say it all together now) It's Hyatt's property, not ours. We only rent it for a weekend and can't dictate how they run their hotel.

If you think these things should receive more attention than they appear to be currently giving, tell them. If enough people complain, maybe they'll finally do something. Here is their feedback page, I suggest telling them exactly how you feel. http://www.hyatt.com...recent-stay.jsp

View Postmagicalgamer, on 23 May 2011 - 01:53 PM, said:

1) The disability department was good and attempted to fix all issues as quickly as they were able to.

Thank you very much. It's nice to hear that our efforts are appreciated.
The Special Needs & ADA Compliance Department is dedicated to making sure that nobody has to miss anything that ACen has to offer because of a physical challenge or medical condition.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Compliments? Complaints?

Visit us at http://acen.org/cont...-ada-compliance or send an email to adacompliance-dh@acen.org

Number of ACens attended: 15, Number of years on staff: 6, 2010 Staff MVP Award

#504 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:50 PM

View PostIsamu, on 23 May 2011 - 03:26 PM, said:

I was saddened that the your favorite anime sucks panel wasn't allowed back.

I completely agree with this. I missed it last year, and this year it didn't happen. Luckly for me I was around most of the AP guys throughout the weekend (They worked their butts off all weekend without being staff) so I got my entertainment there. Please bring this panel back for 2012! <3
I love my ACen family! Whether or not I return next year- please know I love you all! Until we meet again!

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#505 User is offline   Bloo09 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:57 PM

Badge mailing - yes we were over a month late mailing because the badges were printed wrong by our printing vendor (we will not be using him again). For next year we will be getting our badges during the summer/fall and plan to start mailing at least by October. Also we will be sending them by purchase date instead of random order so attendees will be able to warn us when it is not received so we can remail them. Any suggestions to perfect our mailing are appreciated.
ACen 13 - Panel Programming Department Head and Crystal Ball Manager, ACen 12 - Panel Programming Dept. Head and Crystal Ball Manager,
ACen 11 - Reg Dept. Head, ACen 10 - Reg Dept. Head, ACen 09 - Reg Asst. Dept. Head, ACen 08 - Guest Relations staff, ACen 07 - IRT Guest Escort

Please contact me if you have any questions, comments or concerns regarding Panel Programming for Anime Central. PanelProgramming@ACen.org.
If you have any questions about the Crystal Ball please email CrystalBall@ACen.org

My private messages are now disabled. Between friend invite spam, and forum notices as a moderator I was missing panel related private messages. Please email us to contact panels, thank you!

#506 User is offline   Falling_Demon 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 16834

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:09 PM

View PostBloo09, on 23 May 2011 - 07:57 PM, said:

Badge mailing - yes we were over a month late mailing because the badges were printed wrong by our printing vendor (we will not be using him again). For next year we will be getting our badges during the summer/fall and plan to start mailing at least by October. Also we will be sending them by purchase date instead of random order so attendees will be able to warn us when it is not received so we can remail them. Any suggestions to perfect our mailing are appreciated.

This sounds like a fantastic idea. When will badges be going on sale then?
ACen 2012: Tsubaki (Soul Eater)

#507 User is offline   Bloo09 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:30 PM

October will be the latest, September is when we tend to open but we are aiming for earlier. It depends on how well the revamping of the reg system goes. Fixing known glitches and doing things differently in the coding to prevent problems, etc. Our programmers have already been working on it :) Nothing should be changing that was attendee facing though except trying to fix when it unselected mailing if you hit submit without a mandatory text field filled out and it told you to fill it out, that would take off the mailing option and if you didn't recheck it you didn't get the option on your account :( We're hoping that won't happen this year but will be sending the link to add mailing to your account out to all Will Call accounts this year.

#508 User is offline   Karmada 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 15495

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:22 PM

I hope I'm putting this in the correct thread, because I had some praises and suggestions - not just gripes...

Praises:

+ Artist's Alley staff was very friendly - despite the printers dying and vendors and artists probably freaking out at them, they were always pleasant to me when I came up and asked them "Hey, gotta printer yet?". (They'd go "Alas, no", and I'd come back later).

+ LARGE AISLES. Yes. Thank you. As a cosplayer, I get stopped now and again for a pic. Keeping those wide aisles is a godsend to help keep me out of the line of traffic in case I need to stop for anybody.

+ Masquerade appeared to run really smoothly - i.e. starting on time, getting done at a reasonable time (I was a participant, and having it done at a decent hour actually let me get back to the room and rest up, hang out, and not have to rush around)

+ Badge checkers were understanding - Being in the Alley, my three helpers who did not get badges due to printer issues would have theoretically had problems. So long as I escorted them, explaining, "Hey no printer yet, but they're working my booth" all seemed well.

+ Prop Check/IRT - a friend of mine had a rather large Scythe (break downable, though), and had it out at a gathering. The IRT was nice enough to say "Hey, get it checked, but you can do it after the shoot." I appreciated that they let us finish up.

Convention Gripes:

- Organization/Knowledge of Staff - I don't know how training went for staff or volunteers, but every time I asked a staff member a question I got a blank stare. Mayhaps I asked weird questions, or something. I just felt bad because I got a lot of "Um, check the program?" and "I don't know, I'm just a grunt."

- SIDEWALKS - I know you wanted us to walk on all the sidewalks near the hyatt (around the front) and stay out of the drive (for good reason). But if we can't walk on the sidewalk because there's a line for main programming standing on it taking up all the space, that's not really our fault if we have to spill into the driveway.

- Gatherings - I know they're attendee run events, but having them in the schedule is very helpful for people who don't track the forums. Thankfully I had printed out the schedule before I came and gave a copy to each of my roommates who were interested, but I was surprised to not see it in the program.

- Program - I know you had a lot to fit into the program and it was really pretty! Next time, may I suggest increasing the boldness/thickness of the font on some of the schedules/diagrams/explanations? It was very hard to read because the font was so incredibly thin. Still readable, but difficult.

Attendee Gripes:

- PHOTOBOMBERS - I don't know if any other cosplayers/photographers had this problem, but I seemed to have multiple incidents where another congoer would come up behind me (and my friends) as we were posing for a photograph, and do something annoying/obscene/etc because they thought it was funny. I know staff can't control it, but I just wanted to see if anybody else had this problem too.

- ROOM PARTIES - Saturday night my hotel room was pretty much surrounded by parties of some kind with extremely loud music, shouting, screaming, etc. I can't choose where my room is, but I guess I don't understand it. It'd be awesome if the hotels had some sort of 'quiet floor' request? I don't know if the con can do that, or if I have to hope and rely on other attendees to not be inconsiderate too late in the evening.

Misc:

View PostKaay-chan, on 23 May 2011 - 03:23 PM, said:

That's such a bummer! I was one of the walk ons, and I tried to make sure I was out there long enough. :( Talking with other contestants I could tell there was a lot of nervousness (me included) and sometimes that just makes people sprint across the stage.

Just to get an idea, what would people think is a long enough time to be on the stage in a particular pose? I tried to count to 5 before changing - as sometimes 10 seconds seems like FOREVER in stage time.

I'm truthfully very curious! If I do any more walk ons I'd love to stand long enough to make sure everybody has time to grab their camera - as well as giving suggestions to the other people I talk to behind the stage to help them out. :)

#509 User is offline   YeehawMcKickass 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 19706

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:35 PM

The arcade was perfect...maybe a little better console organization, but the arcade was perfect.

Its pretty terrible that the best thing i remember about ACEN 2011 is that the ARCADE was the best part...I don't feel like i've been to ACEN, i feel like i was at an anime store that judges me for my yaoi fandom and creativity.

After how the arcade turned out last year another vendor and I set out on a personal mission to make this years arcade kick all sorts of everything. Aside from the clear out on Friday night due to the bag situation, things ran a lot smoother on the attendee end. Believe me, I was busting my butt keeping those changers stocked with money.

There's a VG Room Feedback Thread at http://www.acen.org/...me-room-review/
And an Arcade Feedback Thread at http://www.acen.org/...rcade-feedback/

As for the No Bag rule and the tightening from Friday into Saturday:
The whole of Video Gaming (both Console and Arcade) was shut down for about an hour on Friday when the Hyatt sent word down that all the bags that had been dropped off in the hallway needed to be cleared out for being a fire hazard. Staff initiated a clear out of both sides in order to get everyone out and to claim their bag. Everything stayed closed so both sides could be cleaned up and back end stuff could be handled in the arcade (Seriously, a lot of small things got fixed during that span).

From there it was deemed that no bags had to be a hard line rule for everyone but people with medical passes.

#510 User is offline   mer2329 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 29293

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:08 AM

View PostJediNight, on 23 May 2011 - 02:16 AM, said:

[/list]#1 and 2: I agree this was unfortunate. From what I was told, our nice corporate laser printer, Bertha, died early on at the con. This was a large part of the updated schedules not being available. I'm not sure if they were originally intended for 11x17, but I don't believe that capability was available with Bertha dead. We also had many more panels this year scheduled (200 instead of ~120 last year?) so I assume that may have required the print to be smaller as well.

#3: This one is unavoidable, and one of the major reasons those rooms are considered less than ideal for panel programming. I noticed the airwalls were open for them this year, so I thought the circulation might be better, but that sounds like it wasn't the case. Long story short: there is no ventilation/aircon for those rooms, since they are made out of temporary walls, and there are no vents in the ceiling for whatever reason.

im talking about the autiograph area with #3 and yes i saw the vents in the celing
the walls run on a track connected to the celing and the air duct is not directly connected to the celing (the vent cover only sits in a drop celing panel)

Without getting into specifics, the union contracts for convention centers are complex and probably not ideal for good customer service. In my personal opinion: I've been to many trade shows, anime cons, etc. and the bureaucracy surrounding them can be maddening.
(At a trade show out east I worked several years ago, we weren't even allowed to adjust the audio levels or set up our own projectors, even though all of the equipment was ours. Per union contract to use the convention space we had to call an engineer in (whom their billing rate was something like $300/hr) and would take 30-60mins to even show up, just to do that. Setting up or taking down chairs was something like $1 per chair, etc)

sounds like mc-cormic place (sorry spelling... the place for the chicago auto show) they require all that plus new carpet be layed for EVERY show, the vendors cant even set up their own booth let alone transport it there and people wonder why chicago is so far in the red
True Words of Wisdom
Those Who Fall Asleep In Fruit Drink
Often Gets Punch in Nose

• 22 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users