• This topic is locked

Gripes Got something you want fixed...

#31 User is offline   Lenne 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 425

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:38 PM

My gf and I wanted to play some arcade games on Saturday night after I started feeling better, so we went to the arcade room. However, the massive heat wave and stench of con funk literally punched us in the face. We had to leave after 15 minutes and 3 rounds of Puzzle Fighter. Can something be done about this? Fans, air fresheners, scrubbing down congoers, installing emergency showers, etc? Maybe we can have the arcade room in a more open area next time?

The hotel has a habit of turning the air conditioning on and off at random. Which really sucks, I'll definitely agree about that. I work in Tabletop Gaming which is right next to Video Gaming and let me tell you, it's so much fun having the temperature randomly change 20 degrees in the span of 5 minutes...

As far as the game rooms go, i agree that they seem thrown together.... I was really looking forward to playing the magic tournaments. but since I got there late on friday. I couldnt get one of the detailed programs....I went down to the card gaming room and nobody could tell me when the tournaments are. there wasnt any postings outside the room or even a piece of paper with times scribbled on it laying on a table inside the room. needless to say, by the time I found out, they were already over....Later, when i found out, i noticed that some of the longest gaming tournaments were schedualed late at night...and at that, most of them started an hour or so late...it kinda sucks starting a 5 hr tournament at 10pm on sat. maybe in the future, the longer tournaments could be a little earlier in the day and the shorter ones can be later.

Hi! I'm the Tabletop Gaming ADH. I don't deal with the card games at all (I handle the board gaming/tabletop stuff), but I can field this. Or I'll attempt to do so, anyway.

Unless a tournament is being run by a staffer at that moment, there are generally not staffers in the CCG room. We simply don't have the bodies - especially with CCG, which was down a staffer at the last minute this year - to keep someone just chilling in that room at all times. If you had stepped into Florence, which was the main TTG room and my office for the weekend, we had three binders with copies of our schedules and descriptions of everything, as well as several copies of the small program book that you could have looked at. I more or less did not leave that room during the con except to get food and sleep, and I directed many people to the CCG tournaments. About the only question I had about them that I was unable to answer was about signups, but even that I got an answer for quickly :P

As for the tournament times...the longest CCG tournament was in fact scheduled to start in the morning on Saturday - that would be the 128 seat booster draft. That ended up running over (both because of the size and the fact that it was officially sanctioned, which slowed down getting it started), which may have effected the time that the Legacy tournament was scheduled to begin, as that was supposed to start at 9pm. There are only so many tournaments that can be run during the weekend, though, and there is only so much space. CCG gets the largest room that we have, if I remember correctly, as well as filling a decent chunk in the convention center. There's really not much we can do about that. In order to run the tournaments we want to run, we'll have to schedule some later in the day to be able to accommodate them, and the ones that we expect to be shorter/smaller are the ones scheduled later on in the day.

And also do keep in mind that TTG is a 24 hour department :) We like to have things going for the attendees from convention start to convention end.
♥ Alana ♥
Table Top Gaming ADH ACen 2008 - 2010
Table Top Gaming Staff ACen 2006 - 2007
No one has invaded my sig yet. Mwahahahaa >P

....Then along came SongstressLenne ♥ Alkaren stopped in too ♥

#32 User is offline   Valencia Crowe 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 17679

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:45 PM

I forgot to add. For the roleplaying games, such as the DnD games. Could there be DnD games that ARE NOT 4.0? My boyfriend wanted to play DnD, but everyone was playing 4.0 and he does not like 4.0 at all. Also, are the DnD games run by staff or just by attendees?
"Nothing good can ever come from staying with normal people" -Harry MacDougal

#33 User is offline   Lenne 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:54 PM

We were running 4.0 because a lot of people have switched to that, and for the Living Forgotten Realms modules we had gotten, they needed to use 4.0. People were perfectly welcome to grab a table and run their own games, though!

And we had a staffer whose sole job was to keep the room going and organized, but most of the games themselves were run by attendees who had volunteered their time - we set up a program similar to gophering for that. With the number of games we were planning on doing during the weekend in the RPG room, we would have needed three times the staff to have us running them.

I really can't say anything about how we'll do things with the RPG room next year - it was a bit of an experiment this year, and we weren't sure how it was going to do. It was rather an overwhelming success, though, so I'm sure it'll be back next year, at the very least.

(and personally - coming from the second-in-command from the department - we were so packed over the weekend, it was amazing. And while I say "grab a free table and run your own game", I'm well aware of the fact that Friday and Saturday evening there were really no free tables at all between our four rooms and that was very likely not possible.)
♥ Alana ♥

#34 User is offline   Valencia Crowe 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:14 PM

Thank you Lenne. Your post is very helpful. I will have to tell my boyfriend to bring some of his books and stuff next year so he can start a game with 3.5 since he plays 3.5 and not 'fail.0' as he likes to call it. I will have to have him start a thread to gather some people for 3.5 since I don't want him to bring his stuff and find that no one wants to play 3.5. :(

#35 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19670

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:17 PM

View Postyouth, on May 11 2009, 03:49 PM, said:

I don't know if she was there Saturday, but she was at her Sunday 11:30 to 12:30pm autograph session when I got there around 12:10pm. You might have missed it since it was dwarfed by the Vic Mignola line which was also the case on Friday. I really felt sorry for her when I saw that. I hope guest relations explained to her why she might not have the same draw as an American VA. Annoyed at myself for forgetting to tell her Happy Birthday on Fri which btw one of translators told me they didn't even know till it was mentioned on the forums. I asked on Fri if they were gonna throw her a party & one of the GR guys was tightlipped about it, but I'm glad to hear that they did the day after.

Btw brought my little Azusa to pose with the real Azusa on Sunday. :wub:
http://animerunner.net/image/acen09_chiaki...zusa_figure.jpg

I was there from 11-11.50 waiting for her but there was no one at the tables. :(
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#36 User is offline   Lenne 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:17 PM

View PostValencia Crowe, on May 11 2009, 05:14 PM, said:

Thank you Lenne. Your post is very helpful. I will have to tell my boyfriend to bring some of his books and stuff next year so he can start a game with 3.5 since he plays 3.5 and not 'fail.0' as he likes to call it. I will have to have him start a thread to gather some people for 3.5 since I don't want him to bring his stuff and find that no one wants to play 3.5. :(

No problem! I'd say that a few months out from a con, go ahead and make a thread in the TTG forum looking for people who want to play, and go ahead and bring your stuff along. Space is always an issue with us unfortunately, but we love to have people just stop in and play and have no problems at all with people who bring along their own games.

Also, while we had a ton of people playing 4.0, I'm sure you'll have no problem in finding people who want to play 3.5, even among our staff :P
♥ Alana ♥

#37 User is offline   Valencia Crowe 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:21 PM

I will probably start one in a few months or so. He kept going in to the room, hoping for a non-fail.0 game, but it never happened. :(

Maybe I should make him apply for staffing TTG. He really loves his DnD. :) He's actually playing DnD right now. XD

Edit: Edited a sentence.

This post has been edited by Valencia Crowe: 11 May 2009 - 04:22 PM

#38 User is offline   Lenne 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:27 PM

View PostValencia Crowe, on May 11 2009, 05:21 PM, said:

I will probably start one in a few months or so. He kept going in to the room, hoping for a non-fail.0 game, but it never happened. :(

Maybe I should make him apply for staffing TTG. He really loves his DnD. :) He's actually playing DnD right now. XD

Edit: Edited a sentence.

I don't think many people actually brought along their own DnD stuff, beyond our staff and those we had running the games, so that's might be why.

And heh! We probably won't know for a little while what our numbers will look like for staff, but keep an eye out for that then :)
♥ Alana ♥

#39 User is offline   Valencia Crowe 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:32 PM

View PostLenne, on May 11 2009, 05:27 PM, said:

I don't think many people actually brought along their own DnD stuff, beyond our staff and those we had running the games, so that's might be why.

And heh! We probably won't know for a little while what our numbers will look like for staff, but keep an eye out for that then :)

Well, I will definitely have him bring his stuff so he can play a game. :)

I will for sure keep an eye out for that. I do not know if he would like to staff, but maybe if it is something he likes, he might do it. :)

#40 User is offline   Unka Josh 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 13162

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:34 PM

View PostKewpie83, on May 11 2009, 02:50 PM, said:

Unka Josh, we were trying to get into the Friday viewing at (I think) 11PM? When we got there, albiet 15 minutes late, we were told the room was filled to capacity. It might have changed, but we didn't hang around to see if anyone left. I'll edit my post b/c I'm thinking we must have missed something if you say they played videos both Friday and Saturday. Thanks for the reply. All in all, I think it was a very smooth running con than in past years.

Well, Yaoi started at 1 AM in the video rooms, but I guess it could have been full on Friday... but if so, it probably wasn't for long. We run stuff for hours at a time, so it's often good to come back later.

Now, if you wanted to see Sex Warrior Pudding... I may have to run a third Hentai block next year just for that show. That's all that I'm saying.
There is a slight flaw in my character.

#41 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 6522

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:38 PM

View PostCuddles116, on May 10 2009, 10:10 PM, said:

Or how about just printing up a few arrows and then additional pages with Will Call, Special Needs, and so forth and then taping them under said arrow so you will know in advance and it will be even, clear and legible.

Thanks for the kind words. Just to clarify, our location at the entrance to Registration had four signs. One above each kiosk and a very large one on an easel facing the entrance. The fourth one was in direct line-of-sight as you entered the doors and had an arrow. I'm not sure what more could have been done, but if we could have made our area more noticeable, I'm open for suggestions for next year.
The Special Needs & ADA Compliance Department is dedicated to making sure that nobody has to miss anything that ACen has to offer because of a physical challenge or medical condition.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Compliments? Complaints?

Visit us at http://acen.org/cont...-ada-compliance or send an email to adacompliance-dh@acen.org

Number of ACens attended: 15, Number of years on staff: 6, 2010 Staff MVP Award

#42 User is offline   Lenne 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:45 PM

View PostValencia Crowe, on May 11 2009, 05:32 PM, said:

Well, I will definitely have him bring his stuff so he can play a game. :)

I will for sure keep an eye out for that. I do not know if he would like to staff, but maybe if it is something he likes, he might do it. :)

Well, if you guys aren't sure about staffing, maybe try out gophering next year? You'd be able to get a taste of what staffing is like and see if you or him think you'd like it and if it's for you :)
♥ Alana ♥

#43 User is offline   Valencia Crowe 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:58 PM

View PostLenne, on May 11 2009, 05:45 PM, said:

Well, if you guys aren't sure about staffing, maybe try out gophering next year? You'd be able to get a taste of what staffing is like and see if you or him think you'd like it and if it's for you :)

I might go for Panel Programming. Excel has peaked my interest in that since I love panels. I might have him gopher or do something else if you guys don't have room. :) Thanks for the suggestions. I have not heard great things about staff at ACen and maybe if I do staff, maybe my opinion will change. So far, you and Excel and a few other staff are very nice. I hope there are more staff that are like you. :)

#44 User is offline   Umbra 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 3129

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:24 PM

My major, major gripe for this year is this: You scheduled the con on Mother's Day >_<;;;
~Umbra: Trying out for the Hylian team. Mario and Sonic don't deserve a monopoly on the Winter Olympics.

#45 User is offline   Valencia Crowe 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:31 PM

View PostUmbra, on May 11 2009, 06:24 PM, said:

My major, major gripe for this year is this: You scheduled the con on Mother's Day >_<;;;

That is not exactly ACen's fault. There was a thread about this. They schedule the con when the hyatt is available and stuff. There is more too it, but I am not in charge of ACen, so my answer is not really official.

#46 User is offline   Lenne 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:32 PM

View PostValencia Crowe, on May 11 2009, 05:58 PM, said:

I might go for Panel Programming. Excel has peaked my interest in that since I love panels. I might have him gopher or do something else if you guys don't have room. :) Thanks for the suggestions. I have not heard great things about staff at ACen and maybe if I do staff, maybe my opinion will change. So far, you and Excel and a few other staff are very nice. I hope there are more staff that are like you. :)

No problem and you're welcome! I won't lie and say that staffing is easy - while yes, it'll depend on the department you go into, it takes a fair bit of work and you're probably not going to sleep much; I know I certainly done and I'd hit my 24 required hours sometime early in the day on Saturday. I do really enjoy working on staff, though, and having just finished up my fourth year doing so I can honestly say I would not be able to go back as an attendee without winding up a gopher/on staff again during the weekend.

Also, thanks :) I don't know all of the staff but I do know a lot of them now (especially the management staff), and I'd say that the overwhelming majority are very nice and helpful people.

--

About the con being on Mother's Day - there's really little we can do about that. ACen is scheduled in May to try and avoid scheduling conflicts with any other large cons, and we generally are locked into dates more than a year out. As the RCC and Hyatt host a large number of events, and the fact that we need both (as well as several other hotels now!), this limits the dates we can choose for the con. Hence, while we do our best, ACen will sometimes end up conflicting with other things. It just can't be helped.
♥ Alana ♥

#47 User is offline   Valencia Crowe 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:44 PM

View PostLenne, on May 11 2009, 06:32 PM, said:

No problem and you're welcome! I won't lie and say that staffing is easy - while yes, it'll depend on the department you go into, it takes a fair bit of work and you're probably not going to sleep much; I know I certainly done and I'd hit my 24 required hours sometime early in the day on Saturday. I do really enjoy working on staff, though, and having just finished up my fourth year doing so I can honestly say I would not be able to go back as an attendee without winding up a gopher/on staff again during the weekend.

Also, thanks :) I don't know all of the staff but I do know a lot of them now (especially the management staff), and I'd say that the overwhelming majority are very nice and helpful people.

I hear it is hard, but I hope it will not seem that bad if I am having fun working. All I do is walk around and go to the concerts, play some video games, go to a few panels and the soap bubble, so I might as well have something to do. :)

I hope to meet plenty more nice and helpful staff. :)

#48 User is offline   Cuddles116 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 7378

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:47 PM

View PostDave, on May 11 2009, 10:38 PM, said:

Thanks for the kind words. Just to clarify, our location at the entrance to Registration had four signs. One above each kiosk and a very large one on an easel facing the entrance. The fourth one was in direct line-of-sight as you entered the doors and had an arrow. I'm not sure what more could have been done, but if we could have made our area more noticeable, I'm open for suggestions for next year.

There were signs, my overall point is the quality of the signs every year are what is last minute thought signs, when I'm sure someone on staff somewhere has printer access and could quickly just print signs instead of always relying on doodling them up in the end.

I couldn't help but think of Alice in Wonderland and a crossroad when looking at the Easel that had a bunch of hand colored ones all in different sizes/colors/styles etc. It isn't less appealing to just use Black ink, 72 size, Classic Times New Roman font and list which of those posted signs go left and which go right.

Image of one of the sign areas I am talking about, that just looks congested and takes longer to read then just something insanely plain like

<---
groups
pay station
at con reg

--->
Will call
Special Needs

would be.
JenFur
Toxic Kiwi Wig/Prop Commissions
Anime Central 2011
. . Fri - Scanty (w/ Brief)- Panty & Stocking
. . Sat - Panty (w/ Brief)- Panty & StockingHalloween 2011 - Alice - Resident Evil Afterlife
Pictures - ACEN Aftershock, ACEN 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, Reactor 2009, 2007, [size=2]2006

#49 User is offline   Sakamura 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 4619

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:00 PM

View PostSuigetsu, on May 11 2009, 03:02 PM, said:

The good

Reg line. Very well executed.

The bad

Autographs. I got my Chiaki Takahashi on Friday night and I thank god I did then. She was not there for the Saturday nor Sunday session. On top of that, most of the sessions were off time. I understand that, but something should be posted by the areas letting us know when things will be moved, that or a staff member be at the location INDICATED IN THE GUIDES to tell us where to go or what time it has been moved to. The people who were working that section had no idea what was going on so even they couldn't give us straight answers. I also think that staff should carry at least one programming guide on them because I knew more than 90% of them from my breif glance through on Thursday. All in all, one thing to work on for next time, I know you guys can do it since the reg line was a huge success.

And the ugly.

...yeah, I got nothing here but I'm on a Clint Eastwood kick...

There was a staffer begging me to go in the line and get her signature on Friday. Poor Chiaki, she was right next to a line that was filled to the brim (for another guest) in the Exhibition room. I was like WTF?.. A celebrity with no line?!
Former Staff

#50 User is offline   youth 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 22

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:18 PM

View PostSakamura, on May 11 2009, 07:00 PM, said:

There was a staffer begging me to go in the line and get her signature on Friday. Poor Chiaki, she was right next to a line that was filled to the brim (for another guest) in the Exhibition room. I was like WTF?.. A celebrity with no line?!

She would be a celebrity among otaku in Japan. Otherwise for the roles she's done very few among the majority of ACEN attendees would know anything of her.

This made me think maybe ACEN needs to guesstimate the popularity of a guests & then schedule their autograph sessions accordingly (though if a guest found out about this it might not bode well). Or maybe have the two sessions in different areas. Barring that bring back the cloth walls from last year to separate them though I liked the openness much more.
g'day
youth

#51 User is offline   Cryptoknight 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 231

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:31 PM

View PostValencia Crowe, on May 11 2009, 04:45 PM, said:

I forgot to add. For the roleplaying games, such as the DnD games. Could there be DnD games that ARE NOT 4.0? My boyfriend wanted to play DnD, but everyone was playing 4.0 and he does not like 4.0 at all. Also, are the DnD games run by staff or just by attendees?

I can explain why we ran 4.0 solely in our schedule.

For scheduled RPGs we need to commit to a specific time slot, typically a convention time slot for an RPG is 4 hours. Last year at this time, that time slot would have been filled with Living Greyhawk adventures running under the 3.5 rules system.

But this year, the RPGA no longer sanctions DND 3.5 adventures. On Dec 31, 2008 all 3.5 adventures ceased to be available.

In addition, Wizards of the Coast provides a literal ton of product to us at little to no cost and some is donated, so we as a convention support the latest version of their product.

However, DND was not the only game in town. We had two tables running DREAD, and one each of ADGNEPSEF555, Toon, Paranoia, and Shadowrun Missions.

As a side note, we had over 75 people sign up to join the RPGA this weekend and participate in 4e. I'd hardly call it a failure at all. I remember similar gripes that came out when AD&D second edition came out from the 1st edition hard core players, when 3.0 came out from the 2nd edition hard core players, and again when 3.5 came out from the 3.0 stalwarts, there were even complaints when skills and powers and the other books that were part of AD&D 2 revised or 2.5 edition.

With all that said, there is still a place for 3.5, 3.0, 2.5, 2.0, and 1.0 at the convention. Heck we'll run D&D Basic if theres enough interest. What we need though is a prepared adventure for the particular rule set that can conform to either a 4 hour standard convention RPG time slot, or if in a special case the 8 hour double slot that a typical convention special from the RPGA would cover.
Mark Tassin
Department Head - Table Top Gaming Anime Central 2005-2007,2009-2011
Visit me on Facebook where we can speculate as to the politics that got me fired for running a successful department.
http://www.facebook.com/mark.tassin

#52 User is offline   Valencia Crowe 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:43 PM

View PostCryptoknight, on May 11 2009, 07:31 PM, said:

I can explain why we ran 4.0 solely in our schedule.

For scheduled RPGs we need to commit to a specific time slot, typically a convention time slot for an RPG is 4 hours. Last year at this time, that time slot would have been filled with Living Greyhawk adventures running under the 3.5 rules system.

But this year, the RPGA no longer sanctions DND 3.5 adventures. On Dec 31, 2008 all 3.5 adventures ceased to be available.

In addition, Wizards of the Coast provides a literal ton of product to us at little to no cost and some is donated, so we as a convention support the latest version of their product.

However, DND was not the only game in town. We had two tables running DREAD, and one each of ADGNEPSEF555, Toon, Paranoia, and Shadowrun Missions.

As a side note, we had over 75 people sign up to join the RPGA this weekend and participate in 4e. I'd hardly call it a failure at all. I remember similar gripes that came out when AD&D second edition came out from the 1st edition hard core players, when 3.0 came out from the 2nd edition hard core players, and again when 3.5 came out from the 3.0 stalwarts, there were even complaints when skills and powers and the other books that were part of AD&D 2 revised or 2.5 edition.

With all that said, there is still a place for 3.5, 3.0, 2.5, 2.0, and 1.0 at the convention. Heck we'll run D&D Basic if theres enough interest. What we need though is a prepared adventure for the particular rule set that can conform to either a 4 hour standard convention RPG time slot, or if in a special case the 8 hour double slot that a typical convention special from the RPGA would cover.

I know that places that sell DnD stuff only sell 4.0 and none of the older stuff. I really know nothing about DnD. My boyfriend knows all that stuff. I am just sort of speaking for him since he is still playing DnD right now. Which is why I understand like nothing that you are talking about. XD

And about the whole fail.0 thing, he just calls 4.0 'fail.0' because he doesn't like 4.0. He is not saying it fails like, people don't like it, he just doesn't like it for reasons that I forget what they are. I can have you talk to him about it. Like I said, I know nothing about DnD. I have no knowledge on it.

I dunno what else he plays. I think there was something else, but I forget what it was.

If you could run 3.5 next year, that would be awesome. I can ask if he can loan you guys stuff. He was really looking forward to playing DnD.

And thank you for your reply. :)

#53 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19670

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:46 PM

View PostSakamura, on May 11 2009, 07:00 PM, said:

I was so sad Friday. People were having her sign napkins... I'm glad I went with a specialty Idolm@ster item that catered only to the character she VAed for. We talked in Japanese and I hope that she had a good time even though not many others knew who she was.
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#54 User is offline   Aonele 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 11231

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:04 PM

View PostSuigetsu, on May 11 2009, 10:02 AM, said:

The good

Reg line. Very well executed.

Omg I was SUPER surprised with the Reg Line this year! I thought ACen took a hit this year due to the economy, cuz I saw only like 20 people standing in line, but then someone was like "No, I'm pretty sure it's just cuz Reg got more efficient," and I was totally knocked off my socks XD Great job to reg! :3 (I know this is off-topic, but I didn't want to start a thread in the Reg section just for that XD) (quick question: did Reg line get better cuz most people opted badge mailing or something?)

As for myself...I'm sorry if my gripe doesn't actually belong here, but my gripe was just how hard it was to hear things at Masquerade :C I could only make out like 3 of the skits and what they were saying. I know the tapes are pre-recorded and such, so I was wondering maybe that those tapes could be pre-screened before ACen somehow? That's really my only gripe.

Big thanks to all Acen staffers for such a wonderful job this year!

This post has been edited by Aonele: 11 May 2009 - 07:05 PM

---Cosplay List 2012---
Will not be attending ;-;

#55 User is offline   Cryptoknight 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:34 PM

View PostValencia Crowe, on May 11 2009, 07:43 PM, said:

If you could run 3.5 next year, that would be awesome. I can ask if he can loan you guys stuff. He was really looking forward to playing DnD.

And thank you for your reply. :)

Tabletop Gaming will not be running 3.5 adventures. That doesn't mean your Boyfriend can't submit a prepared adventure that he would like to run or that somebody else could run. If he does so, I will work with him to schedule said adventure and to get it into the pocket program book.

Provided it is submitted early to the TTG staff who handle RPGs we can put it in the schedule, similar to panel submissions to panel programming, but when I'm scheduling volunteers to run games, they're there because I have received some level of official support from a gaming company. Because the gaming companies generally only support the current version of their rulesets I'm going to work hard to schedule those types of games.

In the case of Shadowrun Missions and Living Forgotten Realms, both of these games are what are referred to as Living campaigns, where the players of the adventures can take their characters to different conventions and use them again and again, which typically makes them well received because the characters are persistent and thus cherished characters can be reused and can progress without a DM being surprised because some character has gear or feats or abilities out of the scope of the prepared adventure.
Mark Tassin
Visit me on Facebook where we can speculate as to the politics that got me fired for running a successful department.

#56 User is offline   The Mighty C. Bee! 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 24293

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:39 PM

I was one of the ADHs in Video Gaming. (Black guy, camo hat)

I ask that anyone who has any complaints about the game room address me directly about them.

I will be listening, but I will not guarantee that my responses will be what you want to hear. I'm interested in what suggestions you all have.
<PSC/WG/QQK>
The key to victory is to not be afraid of defeat.

<3

#57 User is offline   Valencia Crowe 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:39 PM

View PostCryptoknight, on May 11 2009, 08:34 PM, said:

Tabletop Gaming will not be running 3.5 adventures. That doesn't mean your Boyfriend can't submit a prepared adventure that he would like to run or that somebody else could run. If he does so, I will work with him to schedule said adventure and to get it into the pocket program book.

Provided it is submitted early to the TTG staff who handle RPGs we can put it in the schedule, similar to panel submissions to panel programming, but when I'm scheduling volunteers to run games, they're there because I have received some level of official support from a gaming company. Because the gaming companies generally only support the current version of their rulesets I'm going to work hard to schedule those types of games.

In the case of Shadowrun Missions and Living Forgotten Realms, both of these games are what are referred to as Living campaigns, where the players of the adventures can take their characters to different conventions and use them again and again, which typically makes them well received because the characters are persistent and thus cherished characters can be reused and can progress without a DM being surprised because some character has gear or feats or abilities out of the scope of the prepared adventure.

I see, well, I will talk to him about it and see if he wants to do that. I will for sure talk to him tonight. If we cannot get a 3.5 game submitted, that will be ok. Maybe he can do something like what you suggested. Maybe play Shadowrun Missions or Living Forgotten Realms or another living campaign.

I will for sure try and have him talk to you about this within the next few days or so, if that is ok with you. Since my knowledge on DnD and this type of stuff is LACKING. XD

Thank you for your help. :)

#58 User is offline   Cryptoknight 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:43 PM

View PostValencia Crowe, on May 11 2009, 08:39 PM, said:

I see, well, I will talk to him about it and see if he wants to do that. I will for sure talk to him tonight. If we cannot get a 3.5 game submitted, that will be ok. Maybe he can do something like what you suggested. Maybe play Shadowrun Missions or Living Forgotten Realms or another living campaign.

I will for sure try and have him talk to you about this within the next few days or so, if that is ok with you. Since my knowledge on DnD and this type of stuff is LACKING. XD

Thank you for your help. :)

Glad to help. Please have him contact me.. tabletopgaming at acen dot org

I'll be glad to work with him to fit his adventure in the schedule, and I think that would qualify as a panelists badge or something similar...

I even know a bunch of 3.5 hardcore players (most of them were running 4.0 at the con for me) who would probably be willing to playtest the adventure for him and provide critical feedback.
Mark Tassin

#59 User is offline   Chippy 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 29869

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:44 PM

(this may have grammar errors in it, but you get the point of what I'm saying)

The Good:

Very fun con this year.

The Bad:

-The Persona Panel was MAJORLY underestimated and the fact that the panel was split twice then moved several times through the course of the day really got some of us angry. The turn out when we got into the the second panel in the night was horribly small compared to when everyone wanted to get in the 3pm panel. I hope that we'll get a little more consideration for room space the next time when 2010 comes around to avoid the delaying mess.

-The IRT wasn't very nice to our little Persona group either we got yelled at for being too loud for one brief moment of fan fare while the ninja group next to us was acting like fools, spinning around in chairs almost knocking people over, taking up a lot of space in the walkway for their little "photoshoot"... We're just a small group of people and WE get yelled at for "taking up too much space" when the gap between us and the stairs was big enough for three people side-by-side to walk through.

This doesn't help the fact that on the balcony a bunch of people were smoking Hookah right next to the damn door (which is ALSO breaking smoking codes in Illinois by not being a certain feet away from the entrance to a building) so we could smell the crap coming in. I also got stopped by an IRT member for having a helmet on with see through plastic glass because it "affected my peripheral vision" and when I politely told this gentleman that I could see just fine through it he put his hand to the side of my face and asked me "how many fingers am i holding". I couldn't tell how many fingers he had and he told me to take off my cosplay helmet which is complete crap because even without the helmet on I wouldn't be able to tell what it was cause i don't have eyes on the side of my face like he assumed I had.

Other then that, I had a really fun time at Acen this year. A lot of the IRT were very nice this year except for a few bad ones, but I appreciate their hard work at keeping us safe throughout the weekend.

BTW what was with the Rosemont Police this year? I heard a lot of stories about them bothering people at the con, especially on Saturday evening.

#60 User is offline   The Mighty C. Bee! 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 24293

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:47 PM

I was one of the ADHs in Video Gaming. (Black guy, camo hat)

I ask that anyone who has any complaints about the game room address me directly about them.

I will be listening, but I will not guarantee that my responses will be what you want to hear. I'm interested in what suggestions you all have.
<PSC/WG/QQK>
The key to victory is to not be afraid of defeat.

<3

• 22 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users