Gripes Got something you want fixed...

#151 User is offline   masterblaster 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 18442

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:30 PM

http://www.acen.org/mobile/panels/ACen%202...%20Schedule.pdf

This is far too big and difficult to read, and unless there are some Adobe Reader tricks I don't know about, impossible to print out in a legible format.

#152 User is offline   Berry 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 1660

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:47 PM

View Postmasterblaster, on May 13 2010, 12:30 AM, said:

http://www.acen.org/mobile/panels/ACen%202...%20Schedule.pdf

This is far too big and difficult to read, and unless there are some Adobe Reader tricks I don't know about, impossible to print out in a legible format.

You can pick up a nicely formatted 11x17 sheet of the programming schedule near registration.
Eric Berry

ACEN STAFFER 2005-2007, 2010.
Acen Production Staff 2010 - Department Head
Acen Production Staff 2007 - Assistant Department Head Project Management
Acen Production Staff 2006 - Production Designer

#153 User is offline   masterblaster 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 18442

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:17 AM

Thanks.

#154 User is offline   ~Sarah-Chan~ 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 17387

Posted 16 May 2010 - 05:08 PM

I had a few gripes but I swear I wont go on ranting ><

My biggest one was the issue of the smokers and the giant smoke cloud. That giant group of people standing out in front smoking was just miserable. I honestly cannot stand the smell of smoke and being forced to walk through it was not fun. Getting yelled at IRT to stay on the sidewalk also didnt help. Several of my traveling companions are asthmatic and they get extremely sick when they inhale smoke and yet when we try to walk just a little bit away from the sidewalk and on the street we get yelled at by IRT for it. The smoke is just horrendous and it isn't pleasant to walk through. Maybe there could be another designated smoking area away from the hotel?

My second gripe was signs. I know people have mentioned it before myself so I won't prattle on about it but I would have liked to have seen more signs in terms of directional stuff and labeling.

My last gripe is space for the photoshoots. I was the one that ran the Final Fantasy photoshoot this year and frankly, many people are not happy with the location that was chosen for us. We had to fill out the form for the shoots this year and I felt that the space requests were ignored. Yes, I understand that there were a lot of photoshoots and I understand that space is extremely limited for groups but I remember specifically writing on the form that the FF shoot was expected to have upwards of 150 people and possibly upwards of 200. And we had well over 200 people. We were crammed into the Right Loading Docks and there was absolutely no space. People suggested that we move mid-shoot but it just wasn't possible with that many people. I know other people agree with me on this. The Final Fantasy shoot is one of the largest gatherings every year and I feel like we had one of the smallest spots.

So yeah, those are my gripes. :/

This post has been edited by ~Sarah-Chan~: 16 May 2010 - 05:10 PM

#155 User is offline   Falling_Demon 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 16834

Posted 16 May 2010 - 05:24 PM

So, not too many gripes this year at all :D I think for the most part, things were pretty good. My only thing is that I think tickets should be back for next year. The line for the masquerade was ridiculous, as it wrapped around the back of the Hyatt, and I saw no reason to wait where there is no guarantee of getting in. Maybe some of you will disagree, but we cannot all line up more than two hours before an event.
ACen 2012: Tsubaki (Soul Eater)

#156 User is offline   Jguy 

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Elite
  • Member No.: 18261

Posted 16 May 2010 - 05:51 PM

View Post~Sarah-Chan~, on May 16 2010, 06:08 PM, said:

I had a few gripes but I swear I wont go on ranting ><

My biggest one was the issue of the smokers and the giant smoke cloud. That giant group of people standing out in front smoking was just miserable. I honestly cannot stand the smell of smoke and being forced to walk through it was not fun. Getting yelled at IRT to stay on the sidewalk also didnt help. Several of my traveling companions are asthmatic and they get extremely sick when they inhale smoke and yet when we try to walk just a little bit away from the sidewalk and on the street we get yelled at by IRT for it. The smoke is just horrendous and it isn't pleasant to walk through. Maybe there could be another designated smoking area away from the hotel?

My second gripe was signs. I know people have mentioned it before myself so I won't prattle on about it but I would have liked to have seen more signs in terms of directional stuff and labeling.

My last gripe is space for the photoshoots. I was the one that ran the Final Fantasy photoshoot this year and frankly, many people are not happy with the location that was chosen for us. We had to fill out the form for the shoots this year and I felt that the space requests were ignored. Yes, I understand that there were a lot of photoshoots and I understand that space is extremely limited for groups but I remember specifically writing on the form that the FF shoot was expected to have upwards of 150 people and possibly upwards of 200. And we had well over 200 people. We were crammed into the Right Loading Docks and there was absolutely no space. People suggested that we move mid-shoot but it just wasn't possible with that many people. I know other people agree with me on this. The Final Fantasy shoot is one of the largest gatherings every year and I feel like we had one of the smallest spots.

So yeah, those are my gripes. :/

I am not probably an official response, and my opinions are of my own and do not reflect the opinions of ACen or MAPS in any way, but I will say that I agree with you.

It would be nice if they moved the smoking area to the opposite side of those doors, near the glass cylinder or the parking lot for the hyatt. I also have a little problem walking through the smoke, and with the amount of times I had to venture from the Con center to the hotel in an emergency, it was a bit of a inconvenience.
Go ahead and stop by my website: My Site

jguy@jguy:~$ apt-get cookie
apt-get: cookie not found
jguy@jguy:~$ apt-get cake
apt-get: cake not found[/font][/center]

#157 User is offline   Emberlynn 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 50305

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:03 PM

View PostJguy, on May 16 2010, 06:51 PM, said:

I am not probably an official response, and my opinions are of my own and do not reflect the opinions of ACen or MAPS in any way, but I will say that I agree with you.

It would be nice if they moved the smoking area to the opposite side of those doors, near the glass cylinder or the parking lot for the hyatt. I also have a little problem walking through the smoke, and with the amount of times I had to venture from the Con center to the hotel in an emergency, it was a bit of a inconvenience.

I have practiced - and still trying to manage to hold my breath whilst walking through it as I've yet to be successful. (I have asthma) luckily -- I haven't had to go out there that often -- and I know they have a right to smoke ... still ...
I don't care if you ARE the chosen one, this adventure requires PANTS.

#158 User is offline   alunde 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 4739

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:12 PM

You can pick up a nicely formatted 11x17 sheet of the programming schedule near registration.

* I couldn't find any printed schedules when I came by Thursday night (about 8 PM).

My badge had been mailed so getting the program book and schedule was the only reason to make the trip that night. I did get the program book, so it wasn't a total waste

I got though most of Friday using prints screen-shoots of sections of the PDF, before I saw a schedule in print.

* Putting up PDFs of per-day printable black-and-white schedules would be some extra work, but it would tend to counter-balance the recurring problems with printing and distribution of physical schedules.

I do have a phone that can theoretically access the internet, and I brought a laptop that could do wifi, but I still tend to refer to paper for immediate decisions of what to do next.

* I did pay for a T-mobile 2-day "Daypass" starting about 1 PM Friday through 1 PM Sunday, and it worked pretty well in the Hyatt area (mainly checking mail with IMAP).

With the multiple venues it's probably unlikely this could be extended across the whole con.

* It's interesting to have panel/event descriptions grouped by subject area in the program book, but the way it was done made it impossible to go from the title in the schedule to the full description of an event. Event descriptions were printed with a code that appeared nowhere else. Another printed page cross-referencing titles to pages or section codes would seem like a a way to rationalize this organization.

#159 User is offline   Krystal 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 14958

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:23 PM

Um...I know this sounds bad, but can IRT go through some sort of sensativity training? One IRT member yelled at me for texting backstage during the masquerade, and when I tried to explain that my phone can't even take any more pictures (memory's full) he kept telling me "I can fine you 5,000$. I can fine you 5,000$." Every time I tried to speak, he would just interrupt me by saying the same thing. Then I started crying, and he stared at me for about ten minutes without saying anything, all the while I'm sobbing.

I think this IRT member was one of your rent-a-cops, and if it was, you deserve your money back. A LOT of the people at Acen get talked to like that enough at home, and see Acen as the one place where they won't be treated like garbage. I also hear IRT give some really harsh instructions regarding what too do to us if we get unruly, and it honestly scared me. I really don't want to be around people who are instructed to "shoot them in the F-ing face or tazer them". I think my friend brought this up in the Gripes panel, so if it was settled, sorry for beating a dead horse.

I just feel as though IRT are people who don't get any respect in real life, and then abuse the authority they are given by treating us congoers like they get treated the other 362 days of the year.

I don't want to really impose on staff training policies, but maybe IRT should be reminded that a lot of us anime fans are abused enough and don't need/can't take insults from people we trust.
Acen 2011: I lost my red kodak camera. If you found it, PLEASE contact me. I really miss it.

#160 User is offline   Joxer 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 57326

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:50 PM

View PostKrystal, on May 16 2010, 07:23 PM, said:

Um...I know this sounds bad, but can IRT go through some sort of sensativity training? One IRT member yelled at me for texting backstage during the masquerade, and when I tried to explain that my phone can't even take any more pictures (memory's full) he kept telling me "I can fine you 5,000$. I can fine you 5,000$." Every time I tried to speak, he would just interrupt me by saying the same thing. Then I started crying, and he stared at me for about ten minutes without saying anything, all the while I'm sobbing.

I think this IRT member was one of your rent-a-cops, and if it was, you deserve your money back. A LOT of the people at Acen get talked to like that enough at home, and see Acen as the one place where they won't be treated like garbage. I also hear IRT give some really harsh instructions regarding what too do to us if we get unruly, and it honestly scared me. I really don't want to be around people who are instructed to "shoot them in the F-ing face or tazer them". I think my friend brought this up in the Gripes panel, so if it was settled, sorry for beating a dead horse.

I just feel as though IRT are people who don't get any respect in real life, and then abuse the authority they are given by treating us congoers like they get treated the other 362 days of the year.

I don't want to really impose on staff training policies, but maybe IRT should be reminded that a lot of us anime fans are abused enough and don't need/can't take insults from people we trust.

Could not agree more about the IRT. It was ridiculous how many times we all got yelled at for something completely retarded. I am almost 30 years old. I do not like being shouted and screamed at like I am 12 years old in school again. I wanted to tell off so many IRT's this year (and every year) because they think they are so high and mighty with their "Authority." Come on people, It's a security thing at a convention. you aren't guarding the president or some crap. This is a Con! We are there to have fun! not get shouted at, treated like dog snot, and so forth. Also, don't yell t me for talking in a moderate tone in the hallways of the hotel. If I were screaming I could understand. But hey this is a con! I don't know many people who actually sleep at Cons.

Not only the fact that people already have to deal with the abuse and such all the time as it is, but even if they weren't IRT STILL should not act that way. I think they just need to get over themselves.

#161 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:52 PM

Gripe 1:

GUESTS!!!

There were only a handful of really good guests, in my opinion. Most of the guests were recycled. I don't care if a staff member is best friends with them or they are local or, to quote a staff member, are a "tradition". Stop wasting money on guests that either A. Don't have anything to do with Japanese culture (Web comic artists, american comic artists, etc.) and B. Have been here for many many years and are recycled. I have looked at the guest list and quite a few guests have been a guest many years in a row or in general. GET NEW GUESTS!!! Especially Japanese ones. I rather ACen have 10 really good and popular guests than 50 guests that most people really don't give two sh*ts about.

QUALITY OVER QUANTITY

Gripe 2:

On Friday morning, there was a staff member, not sure if he was on reg, but he was in the registration hall, who was screaming at a kid for not going through the reg line and cutting it because the line was almost non-existent. He was screaming at him to go to the beginning of the line and if he catches him trying to cut again he would rip something up (I think his confirmation letter or badge or something. I couldn't really hear it) and kick him the hell out. I thought that was extremely rude. Staff members need to be more calm and not flip a sh*t at one little thing. I regret not getting the name of the staff member.

Gripe 3:

Photoshoots starting a lot earlier than the time they are supposed to be. My boyfriend and I went to the Soul Eater photoshoot around 3:20 or so and the people were basically done and the photoshoot was supposed to start at 3:30. :\

Gripe 4:

Todd Haberkorn had a panel before the Sgt. Frog VA Panel, I was told by Frank (the DH) that we couldn't go in (I think until everyone from the previous panel was out), then this staff member came up and told us to come in because there really wasn't a line and there were still people in the room from the previous panel. It was annoying that I was told one thing and then was told another.

Also, some of the panels that were in the bigger rooms didn't have a lot of people in it. .____.

There doesn't need to be a bunch of panels that are generally the same topic. I.E. There were a lot of lolita panels.

I also would have liked a list of the scheduled panels that are supposed to be in that room at the time they are scheduled posted outside of the room. That would have been easier on people who didn't have a panel programming schedule.

Gripe 5:

Attendees in general. They kept blocking the hallways, habit trail and sidewalks because they wanted to take a picture of a cosplay. Is it really that hard to walk a little bit further to an open space so you can take a picture of that cosplay? If you aren't willing to, then you obviously didn't want that picture bad enough.

Gripe 6:

The lack of a video game room. 'nuff said.

Gripe 7:

Deathcom told me they were done taking pictures for the night, this was around midnight, then around 2am or so, I saw them taking a picture of someone. I thought it was rude to tell me that they were done and then go and take pictures of people later.

Gripe 8:

The lack of a programming schedule. I went there Thursday to get a program book and there were no programming schedules, well, no more. I had to ask people to borrow their programming schedule because I didn't have one. Also, DON'T SORT THE PANELS BY CATEGORY!!! It's so hard to find panels when you aren't sure what category they would be under. Put the programming schedule in the book, don't make it a separate sheet (I don't think it's that hard to put time and location next to the name of the panel or after the description), along with the cosplay photoshoots. It's easier to have them in one book.

I think that's all my gripes for now, I might have more later.

ACen '14 Cosplay
Fem!Gundam Tanaka [Super Dangan Ronpa 2] [100%]
ACen forum's number one poster and Disney nut.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#162 User is offline   Ashikana 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 5452

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:03 PM

I have one, a major one actually that a few friends of mine had that she wanted me to relay to people in charge.
ACen is a family friendly con right? Well with the amount of little kids and the small kid we had with us, she kinda thought that one of the booths, not sure the name of tho =( should not have been right when you walk in. My friend said she didnt think it was correctly placed, and it should have been more by the Yaoi booth or more towards the back.
ACen 2013
Nami:: One Piece
Lucy: Fairy Tail
Gaige:: Borderlands 2

#163 User is offline   Heartnet 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 10674

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:33 PM

This year was a great year for ACEN. I thought the staff did an excellent job keeping things organized this year.

My only complaint would be the panel rooms. It would have been nice if some of the major panels were either split by time or by location. The lines were overlapping because three panels were starting at the same time and there just wasn't enough room for three lines. That happened a lot over the weekend. What happened to some of the other panel rooms we used over the years?

And what happened to the adult panels? I remember just a few years ago where we had voice actors holding improv panels for 18+, they were hilarious. Mike McFarland ran one about 5 years ago, it's the whole reason I came back to Acen the following year. Please bring more adult programming back, and not just hentai panels.
Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.

I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells.

-Dr. Seuss (Words to live by)

#164 User is offline   sachiiko 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 57338

Post icon  Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:35 PM

I dont know if I have the right to gripe about my experience since it was my first time ever, but I had a lot of issues with this convention.

1. IRT- As I noticed above a lot of complaints about them. The IRT members seemed to yell at EVERYONE. For an example, the program for Oregon Trail when all the way down to the Masquerade/Soap Bubble. They screamed at everyone in line telling them we couldnt be there and we had to go congregate somewhere else. About 10 or more people tried to explain we are not going to the Masquerade but to a Panel and they didnt believe us. They tried to escort some people out for not listening to them....with me im 21 years old and cosplayed yuffie. They started to yell at me saying I couldnt go in because I am my mock weapon and a bag. I tried to explain with the group I was with that we had NO Intention of going to the Masq and they kept interrupting me. I did get snippy in return because I came from another state and skipped stuff with my university to come to this event and they talked to people like they were 5-10 years old. It was rude and highly inconsiderate. I can understand them being like that with rowdy congoers, but I'm an adult and would like to be treated as such. Especially being a married women whose joining the Navy. Would they talk like that to the president in cosplay? I think not, so they shouldnt do that to us either!

2. Photos- I agree about the final fantasy photo shoot, the whole placing of groups to do mass photos was a mess. I could not believe how much people had to try to pile in. The people trying to take photos took up the entire side walk. No one had anywhere to go and move. That should have been executed more efficiently. Another photo shoot I attend was the Hellsing in the dome. It was horrible. This will go with number 1. The IRT members came and made people leave because they were in the dome and taking pictures. According to the sheet for gatherings, that was where they were supposed to be! When they tried to say that's where they were assigned, the members stated, "I dont care, your not supposed to be here." and again stated "that was a mistake anyways take it outside". It was dark and where should they go take a photo? If it was a so called mistake, its acen's fault and they should issue an apology to the hellsing cosplayers.

3. Vendors: Sorry, but I maybe really picky, but there was not that much shopping available. Especially when it came to like Yuri and Yaoi stuff. I was expecting more. I also noticed the prices were jacked up high, maybe it's because we are in chicago, but where i am from i could get a plush doll for 5$ not 15$.

4. PROM- Okay Okay, prom is a vital time in a high schoolers life, but seriously its rather rude to have both groups put together in the same location. It was rather irratating to exit the convention center and here the kids talk smack about the cosplayers saying things like "your all f'n freaks", "you guys should be embarressed of yourselves for stepping out in that sh!t". Personally, I wanted to smack each and everyone one who was saying things along those lines. The convention center i know is trying to make profit, but they should take into account that cosplayers/congoers do not mix with prom people. That leaves major clashing. Especially because people started to talk about to the tweeny boppers commenting on their craptastic attire.

As for my overall experience, I may or may not be back next year. Especially since i'll be in the military and will not be talked to like im a child (although I do look like i'm 18). Overall, this weekend left a negative taste in my mouth and i'll probably just go to another convention because these types of problems are inexcusable.
"And if I make it threw today
Will tomorrow be the same
Am I just running in place
And if I stubble and I fall
Should I get up and carry on
Will it all just be the same"-
Good Charlotte

#165 User is offline   DeadCruiser 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 51495

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:36 PM

IRT

I can't tell you how many IRT members that I ran into that were rude. We even had nicknames for a few of them because of how many times we saw them do the same thing. Oh, also, the staying on the sidewalk thing is completely ridiculous. I mean, I understand staying on it and having staff keep people on it, but IRT were over the top about it. Two of my friends and I were walking around the giant line for the Soap Bubble and some IRT member was chatting with a few girls and we overheard him say, "if those guys in the jackets don't get on the side walk, I'm going to punch them in the face". Not joking. I tell you this: had it have not been for my friend stopping me, you would have had a very sorry IRT member. Staff or not, you don't threaten anybody like that. Not if you don't want retaliation.

I don't think anybody comes to Anime Central to put up with IRT members acting the way they did this year. Similar things happened to me a few years ago. IRT is Acen's biggest problem. I can't tell you how many people that I met at the convention that told me about rude IRT members. Granted, I met like four of them that were cool, so at least you have a few that are doing their jobs the RIGHT way.

It's extremely difficult for me to keep this post "family oriented" towards those rotten IRT members that I'm referring to. I can't stress enough how big of a problem this is becoming. I should have brought a video camera to film some of these guys for proof, but I hope you take everybody's word for it.

I'm not a trouble maker at the convention either. I stay to myself and hang out with my friends when I'm at the convention. I would expect to be treated like this if I were some sort of madman that was causing all kinds of havok at the convention, but I'm not.

Here's the problem. 85% of IRT are some kind of angsty recluses that get bossed around day after day, month after month and once Acen comes around, they become IRT so they can pay all that forward to people who are just trying to enjoy themselves. They walk around like they are some kind of elite squad of highly skilled super soldiers or something. Chances are, if you were IRT, you are reading this and it makes you mad, you're probably one of the types of people I'm talking about here. Acen is better without you and people who just want to enjoy themselves don't appreciate the way you act. Do us all a favor and just don't volunteer for IRT next year.

As for the IRT that are doing their jobs well, thank you. To those IRT members that I met that were cool, thank you. The two IRT members we rode in the elevator with were super nice guys. Super friendly IRT girl outside directing people back to the sidewalk...awesome IRT member! It's people like you who do their jobs well that make the convention run so smoothly. Unfortunately, you have to work alongside several unprofessional, rude, egotistical people who give IRT a bad name.

This post has been edited by DeadCruiser: 17 May 2010 - 11:32 PM

"Excuse me sir, are you looking for the Columbia sportswear?"
"I YAM!"
Dead Space Lvl. 3 Engineer suit - 100% finished! Finally!
My Dead Space suit videos!

#166 User is offline   xtrastage 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 11970

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:39 PM

All in all, a good con, but a few major complaints.

1a. The IRT's assistance. I wouldn't call them harassing or unfeeling like other people (solely on the basis that they didn't have any experience), but they were incredibly unhelpful. I asked where the Hall E panels were for the electronic music panel Sunday morning. I got a point.

1b. The IRT's maniacal regulation of where to walk. Yeah, I know, crowds need to be restrained so cars can get by. But is it really necessary for IRT to make us navigate our way through the Soap Bubble line when it's already so unruly to begin with?

2. Soap Bubble. This is the second year in a row where I've been prevented from getting into Soap Bubble because of the overflow. It's just unmanageable in one room at this attendance. I think we could have that dance as the "main" dance Saturday night, then run a few overflow dances at places like the AB suites, the Embassy ballroom, or even in a place like Hall D (assuming it's unused; you could replace that with whatever hall isn't being used).

3. The Video Game Room. There were 5 dance machines. 5! (At 10 seconds' estimation. I saw at least 3 DDR machines and 3 Pump machines). I saw the Dance ManiaX machine, but missing was Pop'n, IIDX, Parapara, a ton of fighting games, and other stuff I'm sure I missed.

4. The lack of programming books. While I commend the fact that we're back to one book, I was hard-pressed to find a place that had them, outside ONE SINGLE BOOTH inside the registration hall at the DES.

5. The lack of bags. Why didn't we have bags to hold your stuff this year? We've had them every other year I've gone (this is my sixth Acen), and this is the first time I remember not being able to get them.

6. The guest deficit. Being a WDRV listener, it was nice to see Steve Downes there, but why do we invite people only tangentially related to the convention? I know Steve Downes did the voice of Master Chief, but American comic artists? Give me a break. The best guest wasn't even on the list (Doug Walker; but that's only because the con was within walking distance from his house).

7. The furries. But that's just me; Anthrocon's in Pennsylvania. We are in Illinois, and how are furries related to this con?

8. The fact that some of the good events, like Whose Line is it Anime?, was scheduled on a Friday afternoon.

And that's all.

#167 User is offline   Weighted Companion Cube 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 18530

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:06 PM

I've been going to a lot of Acen's, but this one might have been my favorite. The staff has been incredibly helpful, and the planning really impressed me.

My largest complaint of the whole thing was the "phoned in" asian buffet at the hotel restaurant, and I still ate a ton of it happily. Last year they tried harder.

Now that ACEN has a lot of solid systems in place, I think next year the main theme I'd suggest for fixing is improving redundancy checks. I saw a lot of Staff perform flawlessly, but a lack of redundancy was frustrating them. When the computer system crashed for the staff/panelist badge room on Friday, there was no backup solution. When projectors/equipment wasn't in the rooms at specified times, well, where was the checkup on that hours before? Who was the guy to talk to who could mobilize that? Redundancy helps many of the con-goers, yes, but it would do wonders for the Staff, who work absolutely insane hours and seemed frustrated. When there is an issue, there should be a name attached to that issue, and that name has to have solutions and thinks about worst-case-scenarios. People were taking credit, humility, and humor in the situation that they were just supposed to be a small part of, and I love that. In the next couple years, that could be improved so if they don't know what's up, someone who does is only a walkie click away. They deserve better.

Also, please enforce the smoking law in Illinois. It was windy on Saturday, and the first two floors smelled like a bowling alley. People have to smoke, but the lax system fails with a breeze and endangers Acen and Hyatt's reputation for lawful compliance (something I'm fairly certain neither would want brought up during contract talks).

This post has been edited by Weighted Companion Cube: 16 May 2010 - 08:16 PM

#168 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:10 PM

Twitter wasn't used at all. I saw on a board at the Service Desk that some things were changed, but I didn't get a text about it (or them) from twitter.
ACen '14 Cosplay

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#169 User is offline   Lukage 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 27500

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:11 PM

Going off the top of my head, but I'll address what I can. My biggest gripe this year (and I will add the others that I can later) is the same as it always is:

Why are the elevators randomly off-limits to attendees and for private use by IRT only? When I asked a couple staffers about why the elevators were shut down, I was given the stereotypical "I can't discuss that" garbage. I was told "to use the next elevator or the stairs." Can someone clarify now why the elevators are suddenly "VIP only" for just that one use, or is this going to be another one of those secrets of the convention?

My second issue isn't actually with the staff or their programming! Its a first!

I really got annoyed with getting into fights with the "professional" photographers. You know, the ones who had a couple people blocking access in the 20 foot space between them and the person getting photograpphed. I'm being instructed to walk around in a narrow three foot gap so they can have their "private photo shoot." I hate to say it, but when you're trying to use THE LOBBY as your personal space and there's actually a jam created due to it, I'm not going to wait. Its one thing if a staffer is directing traffic because of an accident or a spill or perhaps to keep people in the right areas, but a photographer trying to get his shoot in the heaviest traffic really is an idiot.

I don't know what the charge is for vendor space, but I heard a lot of people there and in the artist alley gripe about how these big conventions just aren't worth the money as it costs them to show up. I don't know the finances behind it, but overhearing several artists and vendors talk about their last show or last time at ACEN is a bit bothersome. I know the Chicago area isn't one of the cheapest places, but the vendors and artists are a big part of what draws the crowd. ACEN has the biggest number of them among cons I go to and I'd like to see it stay that way. I already noticed fewer vendors than last year.

The video game room. What?
No really, I went in Friday evening and the console gaming was just being set up. I don't recall past years, but the arcade machines at every other convention are free. Its a bit bothersome to see that we're being charged for activities that are listed as part of the program. The setup for the console gaming is fine, but its a big turn-off for casual players that want to try out the machines.

But to the topic of the staffers, what's the difference between ACEN staff and IRT? They seem to have the same power, yet the IRT always comes across as an butt when responding and the staffers actually answer my question. I know the biggest gripe year after year is the staff, but it just seems odd that its the IRT in particular that is the focus of the problem.

Line Con '10. Yeah the Soap Bubble is popular and its hard to control, but please staff, direct your screaming at the stoned/drunk/stupid people in the lines. I wanted to take photos of the people in line and got yelled at by staffers for being in the street. There's not much I can do when the single-file line is three people wide. If the staff is there for line control, control the line. I'm not stopping in the sideway to obstuct traffic.

Minors in possession - Wow this was bigger than in previous years. I know staff can't control all of it, but can't there be something done about visibly intoxicated attendees? I didn't have a big deal with those who had a bottle of beer in the lobby or a plastic cup with the drink of their choice, but shouldn't those who are a distubance be taken care of? Especially those who are under-age!!! I know you can't just ID everyone on the floor, but if someone LOOKS drunk and ACTS like a distubance, what's the difference between that and any other disruptive behavior?

Guests - Perhaps the budget for this year was lower than usual, but it seemed the guest list was trimmed down a bit from the usual "Grade-A" quality. This is more of just an inquiry than a complaint, but there were only a couple people this year I was marginally interested in, much less wanting to meet. Scott from VGCats was the biggest guest that I was happy to meet. -_-

Is it possible to keep the panels in one hotel? Please? And if they're all over the place, we really do need a visual map of the areas and marking where the rooms are. Its bad enough when panels aren't marked and I get trolled when trying to find the hentai panel across the street.

Make photo shoot locations a little more organized if they're "official." I saw several flowing into the street and others hard to find. I found my photo shoot just based on identifying the group listed that was before ours. Several people missed the shoots, and perhaps something to notify that there is an official list would be nice. Woodman ran into me and told me about the Miyazaki shoot and thank goodness she did, otherwise I wouldn't have known.

I'll post more later as I come up with it. Otherwise I enjoyed the con! I hope my input can help make it a better convention every year! I just want to go through all the annoyances despite the fact I have a blast every year.
ACen 2013: Tenchi Muyo with Light Hawk Wings
ACen 2014: Simpsons Stonecutter and Shiroe (Log Horizon)

Take about five dozen eggs...start puttin' 'em in a bowl...

#170 User is offline   Vaserati 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 29649

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:21 PM

I noticed quite a few people got kicked out of the plus sized cosplay room for making fun of fat people. After they were kicked out some of their verbal complaints were "if I'm not allowed to make fun of fatties, I don't wanna be at con." Well I say let's give them what they want. Next time someone goes into one of these panels for the sole purpose of emotionally harming the panelists and/or audience, take away their badges.

Just a thought. PS, I'm a skinny guy, not that you care.

#171 User is offline   Ishoku Osero 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 8641

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:29 PM

The amount of bootlegs in the DH and the lack of any sort of ability of me being able to do anything about it, despite asking multiple staff and even leaving the information and my personal cell phone number with the girl at the information desk on Friday afternoon.

I know of two booths directly off the top of my head that had bootlegs of all kinds of things, one that I complained about on the forums prior to the convention and had been told by a staffer via PM that it was being handled. Well, it wasn't, and the guy and his booth were still at con with all the obviously bootlegged stuff. I'm very, very disappointed and quite angry.

#172 User is offline   Jguy 

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Elite
  • Member No.: 18261

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:39 PM

View PostWeighted Companion Cube, on May 16 2010, 09:06 PM, said:

Now that ACEN has a lot of solid systems in place, I think next year the main theme I'd suggest for fixing is improving redundancy checks. I saw a lot of Staff perform flawlessly, but a lack of redundancy was frustrating them. When the computer system crashed for the staff/panelist badge room on Friday, there was no backup solution.

I think I can answer this a little bit until I receive a formal announcement about it.

First off, I would like to say that I'm not trying to put the blame on anyone or anything, it's just the way things are.

People and wireless do not mix. Imagine watching CSI and watching them fire a bullet at a wall 500 feet away and it making it. Now, fire a same bullet, from the same gun, only this time, fire it through some walls and ballistic gel dummies. This is a wireless signal penetrating through walls and people, people are just bags of water to wireless signals.

I did understand the frustration as I was the one working on the system in that room. I must have dedicated at least 6 out of my 40-some odd hours of total work time for the weekend in that room. It wasn't a problem of the 'reg system going down', as we did not report ANY anomalies in the system since we plugged them in on Thursday. They stayed up and operating to their full potential since we powered them on and prepared for the convention. the problem with that room is getting a reliable signal in the hotel, it just doesn't happen with a lot of people (see below)

I do understand the frustrations of that happening, and I do apologize. After 4 omni hi-gain antennas and the routers jacked up to full power, there just was honestly nothing else we could do, and the registration department understood that and dealt with it, much to my concern (and theirs).

Again, I apologize for the inconvience, and I will be bringing the issue up to our higher management as well as my entire department to see what we can do to fix and prevent this problem for next year :)
Go ahead and stop by my website: My Site

jguy@jguy:~$ apt-get cookie
apt-get: cookie not found
jguy@jguy:~$ apt-get cake
apt-get: cake not found[/font][/center]

#173 User is offline   kyomagi 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 15871

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:00 PM

View PostLina, on May 16 2010, 06:52 PM, said:

[color="blue"]Gripe 1:

Gripe 6:

The lack of a video game room. 'nuff said.

Oh Dear i am going to agree with you 1000%. The Game room at youma is literally 5x bigger. My girlfriend who never really goes into there complained about it.

Also, i saw some video game dealer selling equipment that promotes piracy by allowing systems to play downloaded and burned games.

and finally, attendees, seriously, when people are waiting right in front of the elevator to get it, down mow people over to get it. And when people are IN the elevator getting off, let them get off first, then get on. One brat just rushed in to the elevator we were trying to get off in front of other people making them avoid him, needless to say, i did not avoid him and gave him a good ol fashion shoulder check.

This post has been edited by kyomagi: 16 May 2010 - 09:18 PM

#174 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:02 PM

View Postkyomagi, on May 16 2010, 10:00 PM, said:

Oh Dear i am going to agree with you 1000%. The Game room at youma is literally 5x bigger. My girlfriend who never really goes into there complained about it.

The game room at YoumaCon is fantastic. I love that they have Para Para. :heart: The one at ACen is usually decent, but this year, it just lacked the arcade games. I would have brought my arcade machines, I have roughly 6-10 of them (they range from shooting games to pinball machines to regular arcade games (the one I have has 30ish various arcade games like Galaga, Pac-Man, Burger Time, etc.), but I don't trust ACen attendees.
ACen '14 Cosplay

#175 User is offline   Weighted Companion Cube 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:02 PM

View PostJguy, on May 16 2010, 09:39 PM, said:

I think I can answer this a little bit until I receive a formal announcement about it.

First off, I would like to say that I'm not trying to put the blame on anyone or anything, it's just the way things are.

People and wireless do not mix. Imagine watching CSI and watching them fire a bullet at a wall 500 feet away and it making it. Now, fire a same bullet, from the same gun, only this time, fire it through some walls and ballistic gel dummies. This is a wireless signal penetrating through walls and people, people are just bags of water to wireless signals.

I did understand the frustration as I was the one working on the system in that room. I must have dedicated at least 6 out of my 40-some odd hours of total work time for the weekend in that room. It wasn't a problem of the 'reg system going down', as we did not report ANY anomalies in the system since we plugged them in on Thursday. They stayed up and operating to their full potential since we powered them on and prepared for the convention. the problem with that room is getting a reliable signal in the hotel, it just doesn't happen with a lot of people (see below)

I do understand the frustrations of that happening, and I do apologize. After 4 omni hi-gain antennas and the routers jacked up to full power, there just was honestly nothing else we could do, and the registration department understood that and dealt with it, much to my concern (and theirs).

Again, I apologize for the inconvience, and I will be bringing the issue up to our higher management as well as my entire department to see what we can do to fix and prevent this problem for next year :)

Ah, that wasn't how it was described to the people waiting (something more about system crashing anytime the specific program was loaded), hence my concerns about redundancy if a computer was failing to load a program with no viable alternative for dozens of badges. I think there's enough iPhones at this convention that people understand the unreliability of wireless :-).

This post has been edited by Weighted Companion Cube: 16 May 2010 - 09:05 PM

#176 User is offline   animedorkguy 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 23869

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:08 PM

View PostLukage, on May 16 2010, 09:11 PM, said:

Why are the elevators randomly off-limits to attendees and for private use by IRT only? When I asked a couple staffers about why the elevators were shut down, I was given the stereotypical "I can't discuss that" garbage. I was told "to use the next elevator or the stairs." Can someone clarify now why the elevators are suddenly "VIP only" for just that one use, or is this going to be another one of those secrets of the convention?

This should not ever happen. The four central elevators are for use by any hotel guest to get to their rooms. They have service elevators that they can use for other stuff. Now if a police officer/ fireman/ hotel manager was standing at the elevator telling you that it is off limits that is one thing, but it sounds like this was a major problem. Did you go to the hotel's manager to complain?

Second thing addressing everyone's IRT comments:

Not all IRT was bad. Please don't lump all IRT as bad, There are numerous IRT members that were extremely helpful and went out of their way to be nice.

I agree with the smoking being a problem. It seemed that the entire sidewalk was lined with smokers, which forced non-smokers to walk through them. I agree that smokers should have a right to smoke, however they should not be causing disruptions to the traffic of the congoers.

#177 User is offline   DeadCruiser 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 51495

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:16 PM

View Postanimedorkguy, on May 16 2010, 10:08 PM, said:

Second thing addressing everyone's IRT comments:

Not all IRT was bad. Please don't lump all IRT as bad, There are numerous IRT members that were extremely helpful and went out of their way to be nice.

View PostDeadCruiser, on May 16 2010, 08:36 PM, said:

As for the IRT that are doing their jobs well, thank you. To those IRT members that I met that were cool, thank you. The two IRT members we rode in the elevator with were super nice guys. Super friendly IRT girl outside directing people back to the sidewalk...awesome IRT member! It's people like you who do their jobs well that make the convention run so smoothly. Unfortunately, you have to work alongside several unprofessional, rude, egotistical people who give IRT a bad name.

I hope that wasn't aimed at me because as I have (clearly) said, all IRT wasn't bad, but a ton of them were.

This post has been edited by DeadCruiser: 16 May 2010 - 09:17 PM

"Excuse me sir, are you looking for the Columbia sportswear?"
"I YAM!"
Dead Space Lvl. 3 Engineer suit - 100% finished! Finally!
My Dead Space suit videos!

#178 User is offline   Lukage 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 27500

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:25 PM

View Postanimedorkguy, on May 16 2010, 10:08 PM, said:

This should not ever happen. The four central elevators are for use by any hotel guest to get to their rooms. They have service elevators that they can use for other stuff. Now if a police officer/ fireman/ hotel manager was standing at the elevator telling you that it is off limits that is one thing, but it sounds like this was a major problem. Did you go to the hotel's manager to complain?

Hotel staff would just direct me to ACEN staff to take care of their own people. I've complained to other IRT about it and asked others, but they all seem to agree that either they have no comment or that they aren't going to say why. I complained last year and I complained again this year. Unfortunately they shut the elevator doors and proceeed down before I could take down names. If they said "there's broken glass here" or something, that's one thing, but its not their personal service and its not a perk of being a staff member. If they *need* to get on the elevator to go to an area to work, that's fine to let them on. They sure don't need to tell others not to get on. I was tempted to fake a foot injury and confront a staffer about it...

As far as lumping all of a certain group together, its hard not to. When the majority of your staffers are jackasses, then they're all being given a bad name.
ACen 2013: Tenchi Muyo with Light Hawk Wings
ACen 2014: Simpsons Stonecutter and Shiroe (Log Horizon)

Take about five dozen eggs...start puttin' 'em in a bowl...

#179 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19670

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:33 PM

View PostLukage, on May 16 2010, 10:25 PM, said:

As far as lumping all of a certain group together, its hard not to. When the majority of your staffers are jackasses, then they're all being given a bad name.

I'm going to go a bit farther and say that even one person represents the entire group. That's the price you have to pay when you hire people, even though principles and agents may have different ideas, the agents are the face of the business.
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#180 User is offline   Weighted Companion Cube 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:35 PM

View PostLukage, on May 16 2010, 10:25 PM, said:

Hotel staff would just direct me to ACEN staff to take care of their own people. I've complained to other IRT about it and asked others, but they all seem to agree that either they have no comment or that they aren't going to say why. I complained last year and I complained again this year. Unfortunately they shut the elevator doors and proceeed down before I could take down names. If they said "there's broken glass here" or something, that's one thing, but its not their personal service and its not a perk of being a staff member. If they *need* to get on the elevator to go to an area to work, that's fine to let them on. They sure don't need to tell others not to get on. I was tempted to fake a foot injury and confront a staffer about it...

I saw this twice today while people were trying to leave... I thought they were allowed to do this?

• 22 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users