Anime Central Forums: Acen: The Ultimate Otaku Quest 2009! - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Acen: The Ultimate Otaku Quest 2009! 10 teams of ACen Otaku will set out on the quest of a lifetime...

#1 User is offline   superdrive0 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 9046

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:32 PM

10 teams of ACen Otaku will set out on the quest of a lifetime...
this is... ACen: The Ultimate Otaku Quest!

Ten teams of Otaku will spend the weekend searching the con for amusing videos! The Otaku Quest teams will have to convince fellow congoers to comply with crazy requests on camera, and maybe even do some crazy things themselves! Whichever team can find and capture the most humorous and creative videos wins! They’ll be trying to find everything, from a Ninja and a Pirate having a dance off, to someone rapping the Pokérap, to an Edward Elric cosplayer drinking a glass of milk!

Join us Sunday afternoon for a screening of everything they found and taped. You’ll be sure to laugh out loud at all the hilarious videos of crazy convention antics!

If you’d like to sign up for a team, please read on for details!

This year we will be accepting 10 teams, containing 4 to 10 members. However, unlike last year, we are only allowing five teams to pre-register. The other five teams must register at the event. We are also not going to be placing teams together as we did in previous years, as it caused too much confusion. If you want to participate but don't have a team, feel free to use this thread to ask if anyone wants to sign up with you.
Another change from last year is that the first meeting will take place later in the day/evening on Friday, so people will have time to get to the convention.

What to do if you want to pre-reg:

1. Make sure you have a video camera that can upload videos to a computer via either USB cable or XD, SD, CF, or MS memory card reader. This camera must be used for only taking OQ videos during the weekend, so we don't have to go through your personal video collection while judging.

2. Send an email titled "Otaku Quest Registration" to alchemy.geek@gmail.com including the following :
- Team name
- Number of people on your team
- Names (real names please, these will not be shared publicly), ages, and email addresses of all team members

What to do if you want to register at the convention:

1. Make sure you have a video camera that can upload videos to a computer via either USB cable or XD, SD, CF, or MS memory card reader. This camera must be used for only taking OQ videos during the weekend, so we don't have to go through your personal video collection while judging.

2. Show up at the first Otaku Quest meeting that will be on Friday night of the convention. Teams will be assigned on a first-come, first-serve basis, so be early if you want to make sure to get a spot.

How exactly does this event work?

1. Teams meet Friday night and are given a list of things to video tape
2. Teams go out and video tape stuff from list
3. Teams meet Saturday night and upload all their videos to our computer
4. Overnight Saturday an elite team of Otaku Quest judges count, watch, and judge your videos
5. Everyone comes on Sunday to watch the videos, and the winning teams are announced

What do you get for participating in this awesome and super-fun event?!

The winning teams will win glorious anime-related prizes! Past prizes included free ACen 09 badges, ACen T-shirts, and a box full of anime dvds and merchandise! This year's prizes are yet to be announced, so stay tuned!

What to do if you have questions:

Email alchemy.geek@gmail.com, private message me on here, or just leave a comment in this thread.

This post has been edited by superdrive0: 10 March 2009 - 08:33 PM

#2 User is offline   Millions_Knives 

• Masquerade Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 8636

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:16 PM

oooh
can we make suggestions this year
want to learn about cosplay materials? click here->my youtube cosplay tips and tricks<-click here

#3 User is offline   superdrive0 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:49 PM

Sure, you can make suggestions if you want to. :) We've got a pretty good list for this year so far, but we are always open to more fun ideas! Just remember to keep things PG-13, and not things that could cause harm to anyone at the convention or break convention rules.

#4 User is offline   Zerox20 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 1323

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:51 PM

Make sure Will reads your list this year before you let everybody do it. As Last year a few people came into Panel Programming ops because of the items on the list being questionable or disrespectful to guests etc.

Just wanted to give you a heads up on it.
Jared "Zerox20" Sangeorzan - Panel Programming ADH - ACen 2003/Present
E: panelprogramming@ACen.org || Panel Programming FAQ

#5 User is offline   superdrive0 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:18 PM

Yes, I apologize about that. We are thinking more carefully about what we put this year. All the things we put on the list were just intended to be humorous, but I realize in hindsight that some of the things definitely should not have been on there. Rest assured that we should not have that problem this year, I have already personally vetoed a few suggestions I received that were inappropriate. I will be sure to have Will check over the list too though.

#6 User is offline   Spydie 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 4073

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:55 PM

I kind of don't like the fact that Otaku quest is so late in the day on Friday. That only gives us like....24 hours to get all our stuff together.
I am made of awesome: pure, unfiltered awesome.

#7 User is offline   superdrive0 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 27 April 2009 - 05:15 AM

Sorry about that :( Last year many people complained that it started too early, so they either didn't have time to get to the convention before it started or they felt their whole weekend was taken up by Otaku Quest and they wanted more time to do other things. We thought moving the time back would make more people happier with it.

#8 User is offline   Kasumisty 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 2097

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:17 PM

Is it only going to be videos this year?

#9 User is offline   superdrive0 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:56 PM

Yes, this year it will be only videos. The list is really long though. :)

#10 User is offline   Kasumisty 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 2097

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:57 PM

I have another question... What time do people have to turn in their videos on Sat. night?

#11 User is offline   superdrive0 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:30 AM

between 10 and 11 pm

#12 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9629

Posted 14 May 2009 - 12:44 AM

Are you going to announce the winners at all? I was in a photoshoot group that knocked an item off the list for one of the teams, I'm curious as to who won! :)
Special Needs and Compliance DH for Acen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
Acen 2014: 50s Sailor Mercury, Agent Simmons from S.H.I.E.L.D., Kim Possible, Ghostbuster, frazzled DH
Youmacon 2014: (tentative) Captain Marvelous, Agent Simmons?, Ace from Doctor Who?
Chicago TARDIS 2014: (tentative) Fourth Doctor, Ace

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My blog / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#13 User is offline   superdrive0 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:35 PM

Yep!

Kakurenbo won first place, ACen team awesome was second, and Neko Conneco took third!

I'll be uploading their videos to http://www.youtube.c.../ACenOtakuQuest soon. :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users