• This topic is locked

Wiggy Help Please! Specifically about dying

#1 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:22 PM

I am working on my boyfriends Wig for his Nougami Neuro cosplay. I'm wondering how I could dye a wig like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Short-Platinum-Blonde-...%3A1|240%3A1318

Here are some references of Neuro

http://www.ijuintekk...g/2neurosig.jpg
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1823310/

I was wondering which would be easier, dying the wig, or wefting extensions or which would be cheaper.

Also, I coudnt really find any other wigs I could use for a base that are of decent price. If anyone could help me I would appreciate it!!! <3

-Sa-chan/Brittany

* Another note if anyone could help* - Does anyone know where I could get a base for hair clips? I need to hot glue on the pattern to hair clips, but I cant find any basic ones with out any patterns and whatnot on them.*
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#2 User is offline   -JUNK- 

• Forum Hell Raven
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19299

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:25 PM

hmm id have to say see if you can part it where you need to dye it and just use regular dye
ACen 15"

*~Proud Supporter of the GBLT Community.~*

#3 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:27 PM

Like regular hair dye?
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#4 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:31 PM

I've been told not to use hair dye. |:

You can get like base clips at like Claires or somewhere like that. :3 Maybe Target or Walmart.

This post has been edited by Lina: 01 February 2009 - 03:32 PM

ACen '14 Cosplay
Fem!Gundam Tanaka [Super Dangan Ronpa 2] [100%]
ACen forum's number one poster and Disney nut.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#5 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:33 PM

I've heard the same as well...or at least it depends on the type of wig.

Thanks, I'll try to look around more for them...for some reason its a pain, dunno why :lol:
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#6 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:56 PM

I might have some that I could mail to you. :3
ACen '14 Cosplay

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#7 User is offline   Rini 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 17020

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:31 PM

I use the acrylic paint/alcohol method.

it takes a long time, but its always turned out well for me.
<(^_^)> Rewr :3

#8 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 February 2009 - 06:08 PM

@Lina- I would need only 2. Do you have pics of them? I need them to stay in a wig. ^.^ I've already paid enough for other things in my cosplay and my secret couple cosplay :wub: (not this one obviously) It would help out a lot! <3

@Rini-Hmm....I've heard of that before...but not sure the exact measurements. I posted basically this thread on cosplay.com to see what they think would be easiest. I love the wigs that some of those people do! They look magnificent! Thanks for your input Rini, I appreciate it <3 ^_^
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#9 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 February 2009 - 06:19 PM

I have one, but I'm sure there are more around the house. Gimme a minute to upload a pic of one. :3

Hairclip

Hairclip

Here you go! :3 They're the same clip. It's kinda hard to see since the lighting in my mom's room is kinda bad. |:

This post has been edited by Lina: 01 February 2009 - 06:27 PM

ACen '14 Cosplay

#10 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 February 2009 - 06:39 PM

View PostLina, on Feb 1 2009, 06:19 PM, said:

I have one, but I'm sure there are more around the house. Gimme a minute to upload a pic of one. :3

Hairclip

Hairclip

Here you go! :3 They're the same clip. It's kinda hard to see since the lighting in my mom's room is kinda bad. |:

*smacks self on the head* Why didnt I think about those! XD I'm sure I can find some at a store like you said...but I'd only need two...Hm. I think my sister might have 2. She has a lot of hair accessories. Thanks for uploading the pics and helping! <3 ^.^ I appreciate it hon!
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#11 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 February 2009 - 06:43 PM

LOL! xD YAY! I helped! 8D I did something good for once! :3 You're welcome! Good luck! <3
ACen '14 Cosplay

#12 User is offline   chibitwolf 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 19393

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:45 PM

Ask this lady for a custom bang/fringe piece of the color you need, or this is close in color.
Acen 2009 Death the Kid from Soul Eater All Days
Will be traveling with Maka (Soul Eater) and Kairi (Kingdom Hearts, but it'll be an original design for her).

#13 User is offline   Aiko☆Noble 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 22845

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:50 PM

That wig would look really nice with some wefts on the front like that! -pulls out bag of hair wefts-
I think I might have a purple like that in here...

Aww, man! I don't. All I have is blue. ;___;
I went weft crazy on my wig for this year, and I'm gonna recommend you to go that route. All I did was superglue mine to the roots of the wig, throw some hair over the edge to cover it up, and it looks great, in my opinion! The wefts move with the rest of the hair, and it looks surprisingly natural. I haven't really tried my part with dying wigs, only once this year, so I can't really give you any advice there, I'm afraid. I dyed my wig with acrylics, and it turned out all right - but I think the wefts look better, and more realistic. But I'm pretty sure that's just me lacking in the dyeing skills department! I can say I've seen some pretty fantastic wigs that have been dyed. :>

So, the tl;dr version - I'm gonna say wefts would work well, but if you're confident about your dyeing ability - don't be afraid to do that, either!
Oh, and as for the price of wefts - I'm sure you can find some pretty cheap purple wefts SOMEWHERE. Not the nasty shiny kind, either - they've gotta have some decent ones in a local hair supply store or on the intarwebz.

I hope I helped, and sorry for writing a novel...! X____X
ACen '12
Gamzee Makara (Homestuck)
Prospit!Gamzee (Homestuck)
God Tier!John (Homestuck)

#14 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:34 PM

View PostAikoNoble, on Feb 1 2009, 08:50 PM, said:

That wig would look really nice with some wefts on the front like that! -pulls out bag of hair wefts-
I think I might have a purple like that in here...

Aww, man! I don't. All I have is blue. ;___;
I went weft crazy on my wig for this year, and I'm gonna recommend you to go that route. All I did was superglue mine to the roots of the wig, throw some hair over the edge to cover it up, and it looks great, in my opinion! The wefts move with the rest of the hair, and it looks surprisingly natural. I haven't really tried my part with dying wigs, only once this year, so I can't really give you any advice there, I'm afraid. I dyed my wig with acrylics, and it turned out all right - but I think the wefts look better, and more realistic. But I'm pretty sure that's just me lacking in the dyeing skills department! I can say I've seen some pretty fantastic wigs that have been dyed. :>

So, the tl;dr version - I'm gonna say wefts would work well, but if you're confident about your dyeing ability - don't be afraid to do that, either!
Oh, and as for the price of wefts - I'm sure you can find some pretty cheap purple wefts SOMEWHERE. Not the nasty shiny kind, either - they've gotta have some decent ones in a local hair supply store or on the intarwebz.

I hope I helped, and sorry for writing a novel...! X____X

Oh it's quite alright! I really appreciate your input and help! I have never wefted anything into a wig before so it would be new to me and also I don't even have a clue where to start to look for one. I've found extensions, but they are waaay too long and skinny.
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#15 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:36 PM

You could always trim them if they're too long and if they're too thin you could maybe layer them?
ACen '14 Cosplay

#16 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:14 PM

I don't really have the money to go out and buy a bunch of extensions...I have tons of bills to pay and whatnot...I live basically by myself. I'd rather find a way to get it done without paying so much for just the wig itself. I was thinking about that though with extensions...hm..Oh wells. ^.^ I 'll see what I can find
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#17 User is offline   Aiko☆Noble 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 22845

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:27 AM

View PostSa-chan, on Feb 1 2009, 11:14 PM, said:

I don't really have the money to go out and buy a bunch of extensions...I have tons of bills to pay and whatnot...I live basically by myself. I'd rather find a way to get it done without paying so much for just the wig itself. I was thinking about that though with extensions...hm..Oh wells. ^.^ I 'll see what I can find

You're making this wig for your boyfriend, right?
Is there any way he could help out with the cost?
Maybe you guys could go halfsies?
ACen '12
Gamzee Makara (Homestuck)
Prospit!Gamzee (Homestuck)
God Tier!John (Homestuck)

#18 User is offline   R1KKu 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 601

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:44 AM

Home made wig dye for the yellow, unless you plan to leave the original wig color, either the FW ink method or the sharpie and 70% isopropyl alcohol. Dont color the entire wig, leave those few hair bunches in the front for coloring with a plain ol' Sharpie.
I have zombies and I'm not afraid to use them!!

#19 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:13 AM

Well, he's buying the wig lol its just coming from my account, and I'm going to be working on it.

As for dying the wig yellow...I'm kinda iffy about that. I sort of want to because thats how his hair is, but I also want to avoid buying a bunch of ink. Which method do you prefer? The FW or sharpie? I've heard about both and have read on how to do it, but again, I'm very new at it. And coloring it with sharpie, I would just have to color the strands individually? :( I've heard of people doing that...but...wow. That would take a while XD
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#20 User is offline   R1KKu 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 601

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:22 AM

I havent tried the FW ink method, but I think the sharpie/alcohol method would suffice and might be a bit cheaper in the end. You should only have to buy a couple markers and a bottle of alcohol, and soak the wig in the mixture. Taking a sharpie and coloring the strands instead of soaking would take a while; I did it once.
I have zombies and I'm not afraid to use them!!

#21 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:20 AM

View PostR1KKu, on Feb 2 2009, 10:22 AM, said:

I havent tried the FW ink method, but I think the sharpie/alcohol method would suffice and might be a bit cheaper in the end. You should only have to buy a couple markers and a bottle of alcohol, and soak the wig in the mixture. Taking a sharpie and coloring the strands instead of soaking would take a while; I did it once.

Ok cool...I might try that. I'll look on cosplay.com for more info on that to make sure I'll get it right. Thanks for the info ^_^
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users