• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Cosplay Tips; Body Paint

#1 User is offline   General Madness 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 22364

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:05 PM

Okay I'm no stranger to cosplaying but body paint is very new to me. I don't know what kind to get. I don't want some thing that will rug off or be shiny. Anyone have any tips ?
NO, not the triangle face! I hate the triangle face, it SCARES me.

#2 User is offline   Ashley loves cupcakes 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 19105

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:53 PM

My friends have used Acryllic paint before. It stayed on most of the day(by the end of the day, there were a few cracks, and like a bit had come off around her inner arm area and inner thigh area), and it isn't that shiny.
But, it does get expensive, and it does stain. ^^;
you cradle over your mistakes, and every heart you'll ever break.
proudly wearing plastic tiaras, hello kitty accessories, and dying my hair stupid colors since 'o6. scenel♥ve
social networking wh♥re; myspace livejournal deviantart gaiaonline last.fm twitter facebook
acen '10 cosplay; anything from the following list, plus looking for somewhere to stay.
franashketchumnaboorudonateamrocketryomoushimeigidgetleblanchakufuadachimomo

#3 User is offline   KusanagiRobin 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 17338
  • Location:Wanted in the Seireitei for impersonating Byakuya Kuchiki

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:08 AM

I've heard good things about Kryolan, though people usually refer to using it on their face. I haven't heard of people using Kryolan on their bodies, but overall I've heard good things. Here's a website that might help you:

Facechange.com

Also check out the Cosplay.com forums that include some helpful tips on that subject:

Cosplay.com
ACen 2014 Cosplay ("From the Spirit World"):
Fem!Ikkaku Madarame (Bleach) :: San (Princess Mononoke) :: Boogiepop/Touka Miyashita (Boogiepop Phantom)

#4 User is offline   nukiuchi 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9995

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:07 AM

Yikes, stay away from using acrylics on your skin! Some of the pigments used in artist paints are harmful to your body, especially reds.
(O_o) nukiuchi + kai (^_^)

俺を誰とが思ってやがる~?!

#5 User is offline   chibitwolf 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 19393

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:32 PM

Use theater face paint. It is designed to be safe on your skin, but, no matter what, you can't use it all over your skin. You have to leave places for your skin to breathe, or else you may die. I would highly suggest theater paint over acrylic paint. Acrylic paint is hard and painful to get off of your skin even if it is a little splotch. (Trust me. I was in art last year and got some on my arm. My arm was completely red and I felt like the hairs in my arm were ripped out painfully by the time it was gone.)
Acen 2009 Death the Kid from Soul Eater All Days
Will be traveling with Maka (Soul Eater) and Kairi (Kingdom Hearts, but it'll be an original design for her).

#6 User is offline   Kitsu-chan 

• 2+2 = 5
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 6190
  • Location:Hiding from my Sewing machine. Shh... Don't tell it I'm under the bed.

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:49 PM

Your best option is to go to a hobby shop & check their airbrush section. I have a friend that does airbrush tattoos. Course it probably will be on the expensive side. The plus side is it only takes a few ounces to cover the entire body, won't come off from sweat or water, & it allows your skin to breath (he's done his entire body blue for Halloween & was running around for 15hrs). The downsides besides cost is that you have to remove EVERY bit of body hair (I highly reccommend Veet) cause it will show & you'll need rubbing alcohol to get it off.
Resident Ladyboy of the ACen Forums

Sadly won't be attending ACen 2012. So I'll be taking my cosplay up a notch for 2013.

#7 User is offline   Yamanba-dono 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 19047

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:57 AM

I'm actually wondering about body painting too, except I was looking at possibilities for the markings on BlackRose's body for .hack. I mean, it'll probably be theater face paint, but I'm looking for other options as well. I totally relate with chibitwolf on leaving spaces for your skin to breathe, Madness- I wore black theater paint as war paint when I was a techie for our school musical last year, and I felt like whatever skin was covered by the paint was suffocating. I'd second Kitsu's suggestion and airbrushing for whole-body work.

This post has been edited by Yamanba-dono: 27 January 2009 - 07:03 AM

My Acen '10 Plans
Lenalee Lee (Third Uniform) 90% Done (need to find a less chinsy wig! ; n ; )
Cross Marian- 50%

#8 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:21 PM

If you are looking to get your entire body covered you should look into body suits/unitards. Other than that I hear that Ben Nye and Mehron have pretty good body dyes.
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#9 User is offline   obakasan 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 2555

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:25 PM

And if you DO want to do your entire body, it's generally suggested you leave at least some bare skin somewhere (costume can cover) or you may pass out... so I hear.

I used to have to wear greasepaint style make up in theater productions... gaaaaah! Zits for one thing...
This space intentionally left blank.

#10 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:30 PM

Greasepaint wipes off and smudges easily and is very thick. *shudders* I would not want to imagine someone completely covered in it!
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users