Anime Central Forums: Evangelion...did It Change Your Life? - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Evangelion...did It Change Your Life?

#1 User is offline   Lucky777 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 19289

Posted 09 January 2009 - 03:20 PM

I would most certainly say it did. I kept running away from this series for the longest time because I was running away from accepting myself. After I learned all these people didn't hate me like someone wanted them to-I began to love Evangelion when I used to hate it. I feel exactly like Shinji Ikari, and I'm sure it's a common feeling among most fans to have gone through all of this garbage, but clearly not in fantasy form, at least once. Does anyone else here feel the same about Evangelion or similar to it?

#2 User is offline   kahad 

• Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 532

Posted 09 January 2009 - 04:40 PM

In a word . . . no.

It was a decent distraction from homework, though.
K-chan (nickname given by ngsilver)
Are YOU on my grilling list??? (Updated 9-26-2008)
Master Chef of the Great Otaku Army and Spam Squad member!!!
AMV Staff ACen 2005-2007, Panel Programming Staff ACen 2008-2012 :)
Maho! - not just a saying, a way of life.

#3 User is offline   Mock-Kappa 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 3036
  • Location:A branch of the Miskatonic University in Sugar Grove, IL.

Posted 09 January 2009 - 04:53 PM

No not really, I was impressed and could see why it's so highly reguarded. But I would say it changed my life or made me think about my life any differently.
Unlike Haibane Renmei which by the end made me think about my life at the time.

Although,Eva, did make me at least willing to looking into more Mecha shows.
I don't walk to the beat of a different drummer, I have a whole band including bagpipes.
Undisputed King of the ACen Kaiju Fans. Eater of Spam.
General of the Men's Pocky Garrison
"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'. " -Dave Barry-
Santa is watching you.
Con outlook for 2014: Karoshi-con 2014, C2E2, ACen 2014, Anime Midwest 2014 (staff), G-Fest XXI, and Con Alt Delete?(staff)
ACen Cosplay outlook 14: Gummy The Alligator (MLP), End of Days Santa,Professor Birch (Pokemon), Woodney ( Black Cat).

#4 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:47 PM

When I saw the End of Eva in the beginning where Shinji was at Asukas bedside and his hand was covered in....yeah. That didnt change my life...just made me laugh.

But the series is really good and shame on you for avoiding a series! :P

And the Evas arent Mechs! lol
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#5 User is offline   Mock-Kappa 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3036
  • Location:A branch of the Miskatonic University in Sugar Grove, IL.

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:06 PM

View PostSa-chan, on Jan 10 2009, 12:47 AM, said:

And the Evas arent Mechs! lol

true
I don't walk to the beat of a different drummer, I have a whole band including bagpipes.
Undisputed King of the ACen Kaiju Fans. Eater of Spam.
General of the Men's Pocky Garrison
"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'. " -Dave Barry-
Santa is watching you.
Con outlook for 2014: Karoshi-con 2014, C2E2, ACen 2014, Anime Midwest 2014 (staff), G-Fest XXI, and Con Alt Delete?(staff)
ACen Cosplay outlook 14: Gummy The Alligator (MLP), End of Days Santa,Professor Birch (Pokemon), Woodney ( Black Cat).

#6 User is offline   Darko 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 18698

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:37 AM

words cant describe my love for the eva series

but in short, they are good
Acen2014 - Creator Viktor - League of Legends
ACen 2013- Artorias the abysswalker -Darksouls
Apocalypse year ACen 2012-DEADMAU5 RAINBOSS- CustomLED Helmet

Questions about props?Email me . Details on my profile

#7 User is offline   Animexcel 

• Production Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 80

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:53 AM

Evangelion is just like any other anime. Nice animation, cool character designs. Story is good weird, but doesn't effect my life.
ACen Mascot Artist

#8 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 7072

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:15 PM

Eva, is truely, my favorite anime, animation, show, story; of all my life. It's so beautiful. Rei is beautiful. Asuka is spicy. Shinji and other chara reflect my personality and self. The symbolism is alluring and mysterious. And the plot is wondefully original. Everytime I watch the End of Eva movie, I cry, But not from sadness but from how beautiful and terrible it is. It reflects what I would call humanity. It reflects what I would call personaility and identity. It reflects a secret of life which might even be a possible meaning of life itself. I love Eva
i've stopped posting links in my siggy due to degradation of the internet 5/23/12

#9 User is offline   hidetopet 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 22030

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:44 PM

when I saw Evangelion all the way through....a part of me turned emo.

so then I promised myself I would never watch it again...

But it was a really good, really deep series. 8D
ACen 2010's cosplay has changed! I shall now be cosplaying Kayo, keyboardist of the group POLYSICS, to celebrate her graduation from the band!

#10 User is offline   Lucky777 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 10 January 2009 - 01:17 PM

I guess in order to really get a good grasp of the meaning behind this anime, having suffered much as Shinji did aids the understanding of it. It I think is supposed to convey a dark meaning about humanity but still mix it in with some of the good. I would not qualify it as an average anime. The content is too deep to be qualified as overly average. It reminds me of Kino's Journey, and Serial Experiements Lain. Only I think Lain messed with my mind the most. XD

#11 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 10 January 2009 - 01:24 PM

View PostLucky777, on Jan 10 2009, 01:17 PM, said:

I guess in order to really get a good grasp of the meaning behind this anime, having suffered much as Shinji did aids the understanding of it. It I think is supposed to convey a dark meaning about humanity but still mix it in with some of the good. I would not qualify it as an average anime. The content is too deep to be qualified as overly average. It reminds me of Kino's Journey, and Serial Experiements Lain. Only I think Lain messed with my mind the most. XD

Serial Exps Lain was amazing. It's one of my favorite series and I love it soo much. Its so different and yeah, it messed with my mind too! lol
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#12 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:32 PM

I wouldn't say it changed my life--I don't really identify with any of the characters. However, it did change a few things about my life, in that it inspired me to start writing anime fanfiction, which in turn really helped me write professionally.

One of the great things about Evangelion is that you can either look at it as being an above-average mecha anime (and yes, the Evas are mecha, in that they're piloted machines), or as the most profound anime series ever produced. Personally, I think it falls somewhere in the middle: there is a ton of character depth absent in a lot of anime, and it has a very engaging storyline (there's a lot of anime where the characters face the end of the world, but not many where they not only fail to prevent it, but actually help it happen).

However, I do think Eva fans have a tendency to put too much into it. Let's face it, Hideki Anno wrote Evangelion mainly to deal with his own lack of self-worth, and his understanding of Judeo-Christianity is flawed at best (which he admitted himself). We won't even get into Anno's stoppage-of-Prozac that led to the disjointed original ending, or his possible connection to the Aum Shinrikyo death cult. Or the fact that End of Eva is pretty much just his cinematic middle finger to all those Eva fans who wanted a big mecha fight or gallons of blood.

There's a lot of Evangelion that doesn't make any sense or is just plain stupid. Most of the characters have little redeeming qualities--Shinji never gets over his inherent wimpiness, and his rising to become a man (as the opening music says) is more by accident than design. Asuka stays a royal biatch until she dies--yes, she had a traumatic childhood, but Shinji's wasn't ideal by any standard, and he's not being a bully or a tease. Just about the time Rei starts becoming more interesting than the archetypical "mysterious girl," she's killed off and her clone is less interesting. Misato is too much of an alcoholic caricature than a character until End of Eva, when she dies. IMHO, the most interesting characters are Gendo and Ritsuko--Gendo because of how he plays both ends against the middle for his own ends (yes, he's a horrible bastard, but he's at least three-dimensional), and Ritsuko, doomed to commit the same sins as her mother. The manga is far and away better than the anime.

That said, it's one of my favorite series and will remain always so. I just wish Gainax would leave it alone instead of trying to wring more money out of it.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"I ain't buying it"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#13 User is offline   nouseforaname 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18421

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:01 PM

I've never watched this anime but I think I'd get to it in time. I haven't heard anything about it either. If I watch a trailer of an anime, I'll either like it or put it off. I watch almost everything I've been recommended to watch though.
Mighta been a time when I loved her too but you take that away, you always been the one.

ACen cosplay 2012:
Bioshock - Sander Cohen
Fullmetal Alchemist - Greedling

#14 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:42 PM

In a weird way, it did.
It gave anime a deep side that I really had never seen.
The last two episodes actually made me think.
And I found a character that matched my personality perfectly ( Misato)
2015 Cosplay
Elrond's angry face when the hobbits crash the party
Compa- hyperdimension nep nep
Kongou- Arpeggio of Blue Steel
Rise- Persona 4 Dancing all Night

#15 User is offline   nouseforaname 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18421

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:51 PM

I couldn't think of an anime character that is similar to me. Maybe qualities and hair styles but not looks or personality. I'd be a mix just like anyone else.

Dude, iCarly has a big butt face and mouth.
Mighta been a time when I loved her too but you take that away, you always been the one.

ACen cosplay 2012:
Bioshock - Sander Cohen
Fullmetal Alchemist - Greedling

#16 User is offline   Lucky777 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:12 PM

View Postsentinel28a, on Jan 10 2009, 03:32 PM, said:

I wouldn't say it changed my life--I don't really identify with any of the characters. However, it did change a few things about my life, in that it inspired me to start writing anime fanfiction, which in turn really helped me write professionally.

However, I do think Eva fans have a tendency to put too much into it. Let's face it, Hideki Anno wrote Evangelion mainly to deal with his own lack of self-worth, and his understanding of Judeo-Christianity is flawed at best (which he admitted himself). We won't even get into Anno's stoppage-of-Prozac that led to the disjointed original ending, or his possible connection to the Aum Shinrikyo death cult. Or the fact that End of Eva is pretty much just his cinematic middle finger to all those Eva fans who wanted a big mecha fight or gallons of blood.

There's a lot of Evangelion that doesn't make any sense or is just plain stupid. Most of the characters have little redeeming qualities--Shinji never gets over his inherent wimpiness, and his rising to become a man (as the opening music says) is more by accident than design. Asuka stays a royal biatch until she dies--yes, she had a traumatic childhood, but Shinji's wasn't ideal by any standard, and he's not being a bully or a tease. Just about the time Rei starts becoming more interesting than the archetypical "mysterious girl," she's killed off and her clone is less interesting. Misato is too much of an alcoholic caricature than a character until End of Eva, when she dies. IMHO, the most interesting characters are Gendo and Ritsuko--Gendo because of how he plays both ends against the middle for his own ends (yes, he's a horrible bastard, but he's at least three-dimensional), and Ritsuko, doomed to commit the same sins as her mother. The manga is far and away better than the anime.

You know, I believe the point of that was to convey that not all humans are perfect. You might learn a lesson but that doesn't necessarily mean you'll get over yourself. There's nothing wrong with catharsis like in Evangelion in my opinion. Art is art. He's the one who's successful in life for expressing his own troubles of self worth in a hit seller. It's not supposed to be a happy go lucky anime where all the characters change for life drastically, in my opinion Evangelion was supposed to have those flaws. I heard rumors that the creator went nuts when he made it, and that wouldn't surprise me considering the way it ended. That's what makes Evangelion plausible despite it's mecha settings. The emotions characters are feeling aren't fake and deal with stuff every day humans struggle. In the end it just goes to show, self worth sells. X)

Asuka isn't your average cutesy anime girl, neither are Rei or Misato. Shinji isn't the overly confident hero everyone wants in a typical anime. That's why I love it personally. It's highly original with the heroes it has from my point of view. Most creators of anime and manga tend to make their characters big shots and it gets overdone and tasteless after a while.

This post has been edited by Lucky777: 10 January 2009 - 06:21 PM

#17 User is offline   szwrld 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8938

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:49 PM

it was one of my first animes ^_^. so yes! It was life changing!

#18 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:38 AM

View PostLucky777, on Jan 11 2009, 12:12 AM, said:

You know, I believe the point of that was to convey that not all humans are perfect. You might learn a lesson but that doesn't necessarily mean you'll get over yourself. There's nothing wrong with catharsis like in Evangelion in my opinion. Art is art. He's the one who's successful in life for expressing his own troubles of self worth in a hit seller. It's not supposed to be a happy go lucky anime where all the characters change for life drastically, in my opinion Evangelion was supposed to have those flaws. I heard rumors that the creator went nuts when he made it, and that wouldn't surprise me considering the way it ended. That's what makes Evangelion plausible despite it's mecha settings. The emotions characters are feeling aren't fake and deal with stuff every day humans struggle. In the end it just goes to show, self worth sells. X)

Asuka isn't your average cutesy anime girl, neither are Rei or Misato. Shinji isn't the overly confident hero everyone wants in a typical anime. That's why I love it personally. It's highly original with the heroes it has from my point of view. Most creators of anime and manga tend to make their characters big shots and it gets overdone and tasteless after a while.

I agree to a certain extent. And I give kudos to Anno for not forcing a happy ending (though actually the original series had a somewhat happy ending, at least for Shinji), and for making something different than the norm. But I do think the main characters got overplayed a bit. Shinji never seems to change for very long; he's always hopeless. Asuka has no redeeming qualities. Rei is just, well, Rei. It would've been nice to see Shinji actually grow a spine, and Asuka to realize that she was self-destructing, and Rei to realize a few things about herself. The series seemed to be heading in that direction as well before it went off the rails.

The Evangelion manga I think does a better job of this. Asuka occasionally shows signs of real humanity, and she's funny instead of just a mecha-piloting version of Naru Narusegawa. Shinji does some real growing up in the manga and definitely shows signs of true courage. (He takes a swing at Gendo when the latter calls him a failure because Shinji refused to kill Toji in EVA-04--Toji dies in the manga.)

Anyway, just my opinion. I still love the show, and it's certainly one of the best out there IMHO. There does come a time when you have to realize that Evangelion was made because Gainax wanted it that way, and not because we wanted it that way.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Kind of like Lucas with the prequels"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#19 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• Honorary Forum Therapist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 447

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:05 AM

Not developing the main characters is in some weird way developing them. It makes them feel more human. Because we as humans constantly make the same mistakes. A lot of people never learn and make the same mistake time and again no matter how much it hurts us. So by giving them these more human qualities you're almost developing them even more. You're not supposed to like the characters. Hell I think the most likable character in the series is Pen-Pen. And I think that says something about people too because you have these disgusting characters that you hate, who never learn from their mistakes, but in a lot of ways they're just like you and your friends. I mean if you really tried you could probably cast your friends and family in pretty much all the roles in the series because they have similiar traits.

I won't say Eva changed my life...it didn't...I won't say its the greatest series ever made...it wasn't...but it did offer up some interesting view points.
Armageddicon!!
Columbus, OH December 21-23, 2012
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/

#20 User is offline   SyaoranFan85 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 2676

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:20 AM

Some of my friends and I watched the entire series and the movies in a single sitting...

I'm not sure if I'd say it changed my life, but it certainly changed how my brain works... not sure yet if for the better, though :P
Callsign: Murloc
IRT Guest Escorts 2009

#21 User is offline   Bones 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 16992

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:11 AM

Evangelion was one of the first anime series that I actually had been introduced to and I would definitely say that it is debatable as to whether it had a definitive life-changing impact on me. I've seen it countless times now and each time I go on a binge and rewatch the entire series and accompanying movies, I just have fun attempting to come up with new ways to interpret the story, the characters, and the concepts of what it means to be truly "Human". It's a very interesting series and while many seem to mindlessly think that Evangelion is simply about screwing with your mind, those people seem to be only half-right -- there is more to it than meets the eye. Perhaps it's just my own way of going about things, but I greatly enjoy attempting to derive meaning and interpretations from these types of anime series. I guess I could say what I did get out of watching the series was a reinforcement of the idea that we all seem to attempt to hide behind our self-created masks and facades in order to cover up our own insecurities, our own limitations or failings, and more importantly our own fears.

Ah well, maybe I'm trying too hard to divine some sort of meaning or lesson(s) to be learned from Evangelion. -Shrug-

This post has been edited by Ginkan: 13 January 2009 - 02:12 AM

Callsign: "Bones" (Formerly "Ginkan")
IRT Rules Enforcement[Hotel] Mid Shift Team Lead '13,'14
IRT Rules Enforcement[Hotel] Night Shift Supervisor '11
IRT Day Shift Dispatcher[ConCenter] '09,'10

"Only in death does duty end."

#22 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7072

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:05 PM

View PostSyaoranFan85, on Jan 13 2009, 07:20 AM, said:

Some of my friends and I watched the entire series and the movies in a single sitting...

I do that every week :3
i've stopped posting links in my siggy due to degradation of the internet 5/23/12

#23 User is offline   sailorgaia 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 3856

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:21 PM

Lol; the only anime that "changed my life" was Sailor Moon and that's because it was the one that introduced me into the genre. 14 years of fandom later....
"I like it when you clap for me, Ultros. I can just close my eyes and imagine that four people are clapping for me at once!"
Locke, the Hand of God

#24 User is offline   firegirl26 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 6771

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:50 PM

when ever i fell really depressed EVA makes me feel better
For acen 2012 will be cosplaying STEAMPUNK
AUTHOR of ACEN TRUE STORY(that no one reads)

REXANO
Responsible Exotic Animal Ownership

#25 User is offline   modsoul123 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 18173

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:00 PM

It made me contemplate life for quite a while after I watched it.
Started out at ACen 2007 and haven't stopped!

Will be going to Acen 2010!

#26 User is offline   Evangelion_Unit_01 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 26693

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:24 PM

Second anime i saw so yea i would say it changed it.....well at least opened doors in to other animes that i now like
Cosplay Building Begins For 2015!
ACen 2015 Cosplay's
-Kirito (Sword Art Online) 20% Complete
-Toshiro Hitsugaya (Bleach) 100% Complete
-Garrus Vakarian (Mass Effect 3 Version) 0% Complete

#27 User is offline   Jenny 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 27762

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:31 PM

Not at all. I was told to watch it because it was ground-breaking and amazing, so I did. It was entertaining, but definitely not one of my favorites.

Also, Shinji annoyed me SO much.
Acen '09
Nagase Dawn Heather ???

"Incidentally, what is the going rate for rescuing princesses these days?"

#28 User is offline   Muse 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 19174

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:59 PM

It's truly a master piece. One of the few shows I can discuss for hours and hours on end. The complexity of the characters and how you come to love them no matter how psychologically messed up they are, or the motives for doing the things they do.

I like how, unlike so many other post-apocalypse shows, there's not really an evil faction per say. The Angels have a reasonable motive for their actions; Gendo does things outta love; Seele to protect humanity... it's so amazing how outta all this chaos a beautiful story unfolds, one that mirrors a chuck of human nature.
Self-proclaimed Muse fan! <3

"Proclaim eternal victory
Come on and change the course of history"
- Matthew Bellamy

#29 User is offline   Vasteel Silvergun 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Banned
  • Member No.: 20249

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:56 AM

Not really. I was disappointed, I think people fanboyed to me about it too much beforehand and I was let-down when it didn't live up to this transcendental experience they all gushed about. <_<
Currently remixing his favorite video game tunes under the alias DJ Pow Armr.
Acen 2009 cosplay plans:
Thursday-- Secret (PM and I'll tell you)
Friday & Saturday-- BLU Engineer (Team Fortress 2)
Saturday Night-- Fullmetal Alchemaholic (retiring the costume afterward)

#30 User is offline   firegirl26 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 6771

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:59 PM

the show helps me though bad times
For acen 2012 will be cosplaying STEAMPUNK
AUTHOR of ACEN TRUE STORY(that no one reads)

REXANO
Responsible Exotic Animal Ownership

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users