Anime Central Forums: What Exactly Is Not Guaranteed? - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

What Exactly Is Not Guaranteed? Response to AA email...

#1 User is offline   KurolokiRoku 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 1211

Posted 11 December 2008 - 05:18 PM

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 8:43 PM, Phillip Schmidt <artshow@acen.org> wrote:

If things go as planned or relatively as planned Artist Alley / Art Show Registration will go live some time this week.
There is a limited amount of tables, flats, power drops, back drops, etc..... There will be no guarantee that, by submitting the Alley / Show Reg form, you will receive the requested item(s) since there is a limited amount available.

Do you mean that by registering for a table in the artist alley, we aren't guaranteed a table? Personally, I am only purchasing an Acen badge so that I can register for an AA table, so if I were unable to get one it would be an unfortunate waste of money. Assuming there are others like me, is there a way for you to open a table reservation period before actual table registration? That way, you can guarantee tables to people up to a specific point and start a waiting list for everyone else. I didn't sign up last year, but in previous years I definitely remember signing up via reservation list before registration ever opened.

The only reason this concerns me is because in one of the FAQ threads, you said that tables usually sell out in 1-2 days!
kuroloki.deviantart.com
www.rokulie.com
Please come visit studio RoKuliƩ in the artist alley!

#2 User is offline   Missyeru 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 2706

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:42 PM

View PostViz_K Prince, on Dec 11 2008, 11:18 PM, said:

Do you mean that by registering for a table in the artist alley, we aren't guaranteed a table? Personally, I am only purchasing an Acen badge so that I can register for an AA table, so if I were unable to get one it would be an unfortunate waste of money. Assuming there are others like me, is there a way for you to open a table reservation period before actual table registration? That way, you can guarantee tables to people up to a specific point and start a waiting list for everyone else. I didn't sign up last year, but in previous years I definitely remember signing up via reservation list before registration ever opened.

The only reason this concerns me is because in one of the FAQ threads, you said that tables usually sell out in 1-2 days!

I'm guessing If you register for a AA table your going to get it unless they are sold out, there is no guarantee on the flats power drops ect. "There is a limited amount of tables, flats, power drops, back drops, etc..... "
Acen '11 Cosplay
Caitlyn from League of Legends
Acen '12 Cosplays
Super Secret Character from League of Legends
Thief Paine - FFX-2
Black Mage Paine - FFX-2
Possibly Effie Trinket if I decide to bring her

#3 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 8053

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:48 PM

View PostViz_K Prince, on Dec 11 2008, 05:18 PM, said:

To answer you first question, that is correct. Their is a limited amount of tables available, this is because of cost and the layout. This is an anime convention not an Artist Alley convention (even though I wouldn’t mind an Artist Alley convention).

Unfortunately the ACen Artist Alley has never had a reservation sign-up and then registration opening. This would have created an ethics conflict within the Alley and it would not be possible due to the fact that the number of tables allotted to the Alley has always changed so their is no set number of tables the Alley has each year.

Yes it is true that in the past the Alley sells out in 1-2 days, this is because no badge was required in order to reg for a table, and many people would sign up for a table and miss deadlines (payment deadlines).
When people fail to meet the payment deadline they are removed from their table and then someone from the wait list is moved into their spot. The wait list is not just a list that sits there. The wait list people (in order of reging for a table) move into the empty spots created by others failing to meet deadlines.

People having a badge before they can reg for a table changes the perceived time in which the Alley fills.

We needed this change because, in effect, people were stealing money from the convention by not buying a badge and sneaking into the Alley. That looked very bad for the Alley. Which could have hindered the growth of the Alley for some time.

View PostMissyeru, on Dec 11 2008, 09:42 PM, said:

I'm guessing If you register for a AA table your going to get it unless they are sold out, there is no guarantee on the flats power drops ect. "There is a limited amount of tables, flats, power drops, back drops, etc..... "

True
Exhibit Space Department Manager 2009, 10, 11, 12, 13, & 14
Exhibit Space Assistant Manager 2007 & 08

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your career."

#4 User is offline   Lezzy-cat 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 7032

Post icon  Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:01 AM

It just sucks for people like me that generally can't afford to reg that far ahead of time... It was so nice last year getting to just do it all in one shot, as it gave me extra time to actually get the money for my registration. I'm so screwed up this year because of Christmas and other personal things, I don't have a dollar to my name until next Friday (cursed biweekly payday), and AA registration will be open before I get paid. I'm completely out a table unless I can get my friend to register the table for us, which is a long shot even then because she mailed her payment, and we don't know if it'll even be received by the time AA reg is open, nor if I'll even be able to get ahold of her when reg opens so she can reserve us a table before they sell out.
Artist for Catstered Creations
http://www.catsteredcreations.com

#5 User is offline   KurolokiRoku 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 1211

Posted 12 December 2008 - 01:31 PM

First, thanks for taking the time to answer all of my questions so far ^_^

View PostVoltaire30, on Dec 12 2008, 04:48 AM, said:

To answer you first question, that is correct. Their is a limited amount of tables available, this is because of cost and the layout. This is an anime convention not an Artist Alley convention (even though I wouldn’t mind an Artist Alley convention).

I understand that. I don't expect Acen to have an unlimited supply of tables. What I don't like is the fact that following the procedure of registering for a badge and table will leave me wondering whether or not I actually have what I registered for. I've never had to go through an experience like that with Acen. Maybe the difference does have to do with the new rule about buying a badge before buying a table, though. I hope you guys are trying to work a way around this for future years, because this doesn't really make sense.

Unfortunately the ACen Artist Alley has never had a reservation sign-up and then registration opening.

I'm pretty sure you have, but maybe I worded it poorly, or maybe I'm thinking of Reactor...but I could have sworn Rosa was in charge of it way back. I remember there being a table reservation system for people on the mailing list, where we could request the con to hold the table and extras we needed, without actually paying for them. Then registration would officially go up, and we just had to pay for what we reserved by a certain deadline. Some people didn't pay, so their stuff would be free for the taking. I think the point of it was to insure that AA regulars got what they needed before everything sold out.

It's probably too late to do this now, but maybe you can think of a new method like this for next year?

Yes it is true that in the past the Alley sells out in 1-2 days, this is because no badge was required in order to reg for a table, and many people would sign up for a table and miss deadlines

Does that mean you think it will take longer for it to sell out this year?

One more question: If I pay for my badge right before I register for AA, will I still make it in?
kuroloki.deviantart.com
www.rokulie.com
Please come visit studio RoKuliƩ in the artist alley!

#6 User is offline   frzndaqiri 

• Webmistress
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 4043

Posted 12 December 2008 - 03:51 PM

Yes, previously we had dibs as a regular to confirm our table via the mailing list, and then submitted payment and agreement forms within a certain timeframe.

I can certainly understand wanting fully purchased / confirmed badges before guaranteeing a table, but I did like that some of the veterans could have the benefit of being closer to the top of the table list.
2013 will be my 11th year at ACen! Staff for '09/'10/'11/'12/'13
Currently: Webmistress and Registration System Admin - my answers on them are as STAFF - PM if you need help

Come visit DisjointedImages in Artist's Alley for Cosplay photo buttons and custom made buttons
Get a button or upgrade it to a keychain/zipper pull/magnet/bottle opener/mirror for just a quarter more.
Visit the blog for latest news and contests! Disjointed Images Blog
100% guarantee on buttons. If it breaks, come see me for a FREE replacement.

#7 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11260

Posted 12 December 2008 - 04:34 PM

View Postfrzndaqiri, on Dec 12 2008, 03:51 PM, said:

I can certainly understand wanting fully purchased / confirmed badges before guaranteeing a table, but I did like that some of the veterans could have the benefit of being closer to the top of the table list.

On the flip side of things, however, I don't think that's as fair to folks that are just "breaking in" to artists' alleys. How would you feel if you registered early for a table and found yourself denied one because an alley veteran also wanted a table?

The "first come, first serve" basis is unbiased and fair.
Liked what you saw at ACen? Happy Hatpire Designs has an Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/hatpire
Follow me on tumblr! http://hatpire.tumblr.com
Also, check out my DeviantArt: http://hatpire.deviantart.com

#8 User is offline   frzndaqiri 

• Webmistress
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 4043

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:29 PM

Well, there's the presumption that there are more tables than veterans, so it wouldn't be bumped that way. Just like the benefits extended to some of the industry known artists that still sit in AA, where their table is extended to them and they are not (in many cases, can't speak for ACEN) required to "get in line" with everyone else either.

There is a large draw for being able to have some consistency with dependable quality artists every year (part of the reason for badge pre-purchase, to make sure the person is really going to attend) . I hear many people who go through AA looking for a particular artist who is known to be there every year. Being able to help that artist continue to attend, and satisfy an attendee as well, does good for AA and ACEN in return.

Yes, I have been bumped at other cons for various reasons, and you feel bad, but you try again next year. I like that ACEN rewarded those who wanted to come back every year and was willing to commit to that. However, if that changes, I'll still get in line with the rest. Doesn't bother me either way, rules are different at every con, I just learn em. =)
2013 will be my 11th year at ACen! Staff for '09/'10/'11/'12/'13
Currently: Webmistress and Registration System Admin - my answers on them are as STAFF - PM if you need help

Come visit DisjointedImages in Artist's Alley for Cosplay photo buttons and custom made buttons
Get a button or upgrade it to a keychain/zipper pull/magnet/bottle opener/mirror for just a quarter more.
Visit the blog for latest news and contests! Disjointed Images Blog
100% guarantee on buttons. If it breaks, come see me for a FREE replacement.

#9 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:09 PM

As long as you have a badge number you are going to be able to send in the form for AA Reg.
I am sorry I can not go into more detail to comments and questions. As you can imagine since I did not have a time for the Alley to open I am having to start immediately on the database and on process. I will endeavor to get you your status asap. I just have to play catch up since I was kept in the dark on some things.

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your career."

#10 User is offline   kyrn 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 9065

Posted 13 December 2008 - 12:18 AM

Next year can you please give us the reg opening date and time like they last year? That was really nice since people could plan to have someone in their studio available to reg at the right time. How many people are checking email late at night on a friday and not out partying or asleep?

#11 User is offline   meomeo 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 9369

Posted 13 December 2008 - 01:04 AM

I don't know if these might avoid the situation, or if you guys are even able to do these.
Some cons sell the con badges together with the AA badges, when people register for the AA badge, they can buy the con badge at the same time through AA. (But I know this might not work if the Con registration department isn't able to cooperater.)
And another way maybe that, after the person sent in their AA form, give them 20 days or so to hand in their Con badge # before they can actually pay for their AA space?
I don't know if these are workable under the registration process that you guys are using, but just some thoughts that can hopefully help. =)

This post has been edited by meomeo: 13 December 2008 - 09:29 AM

#12 User is offline   arina_shirakawa 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 81

Posted 13 December 2008 - 01:06 AM

View PostVoltaire30, on Dec 13 2008, 05:09 AM, said:

As long as you have a badge number you are going to be able to send in the form for AA Reg.
I am sorry I can not go into more detail to comments and questions. As you can imagine since I did not have a time for the Alley to open I am having to start immediately on the database and on process. I will endeavor to get you your status asap. I just have to play catch up since I was kept in the dark on some things.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. From what I'm getting, as long as I register and get the badge number, without paying yet, I can still get a hold of a table right?

The reason I'm saying this, is because I would like to know if I can get a hold of a table before I register. If I can't get a table, then I may not go after all and I don't want to waste $45 because of this.

Will there be some provision, like let's say if you were given a table, and can pay both reg and AA table before a certain date, then the table is yours. If not, then your table will be forfeit etc.

I'm sure a lot of artists are in the same situation not wanting to register yet just because we don't know if we're even going to get a table.

Arina Shirakawa (and don't take it as my real name, lol :p ) Registration Staff 2003-2004/ Production/ Semi -Registration Staff 2005

Cheesy with my Cutie Since Dec 14, 2005 <3

Gonna try to get a table @ Artist Alley in 09~ Come Visit me <3

http://arina-shirakawa.deviantart.com

#13 User is offline   Worldlygate 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 5907

Posted 13 December 2008 - 09:22 AM

I'm REALLY stressed out because I didnt know about table reg till my friend asked if I registered yet!
I think alley table dates should have been listed so we would know...

But I registered. And hopefully, I get a table.
DeviantART

Cosplaying as...

Haruhi Suzumiya~

#14 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 December 2008 - 08:01 PM

View Postkyrn, on Dec 13 2008, 12:18 AM, said:

Next year can you please give us the reg opening date and time like they last year? That was really nice since people could plan to have someone in their studio available to reg at the right time. How many people are checking email late at night on a friday and not out partying or asleep?

Read your email of the ML and the forums. You will find your answer and then the substantial first and second question.
If not email me and I will resend.

View Postmeomeo, on Dec 13 2008, 01:04 AM, said:

I don't know if these might avoid the situation, or if you guys are even able to do these.
Some cons sell the con badges together with the AA badges, when people register for the AA badge, they can buy the con badge at the same time through AA. (But I know this might not work if the Con registration department isn't able to cooperater.)
And another way maybe that, after the person sent in their AA form, give them 20 days or so to hand in their Con badge # before they can actually pay for their AA space?
I don't know if these are workable under the registration process that you guys are using, but just some thoughts that can hopefully help. =)

We used to do that. Now we dont.

View Postarina_shirakawa, on Dec 13 2008, 01:06 AM, said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong. From what I'm getting, as long as I register and get the badge number, without paying yet, I can still get a hold of a table right?

The reason I'm saying this, is because I would like to know if I can get a hold of a table before I register. If I can't get a table, then I may not go after all and I don't want to waste $45 because of this.

Will there be some provision, like let's say if you were given a table, and can pay both reg and AA table before a certain date, then the table is yours. If not, then your table will be forfeit etc.

I'm sure a lot of artists are in the same situation not wanting to register yet just because we don't know if we're even going to get a table.

As long as you have a badge number you can Reg for a table. If you dont ever pay for your badge than you will never get your table.

View PostWorldlygate, on Dec 13 2008, 09:22 AM, said:

I'm REALLY stressed out because I didnt know about table reg till my friend asked if I registered yet!
I think alley table dates should have been listed so we would know...

But I registered. And hopefully, I get a table.

I am sorry for the inconvenience. Please read past ML emails and look on the forums for a reason.

#15 User is offline   arina_shirakawa 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 81

Posted 13 December 2008 - 11:54 PM

Thank you so much for the response! That makes me feel a whole lot better ^^

Arina Shirakawa (and don't take it as my real name, lol :p ) Registration Staff 2003-2004/ Production/ Semi -Registration Staff 2005

Cheesy with my Cutie Since Dec 14, 2005 <3

Gonna try to get a table @ Artist Alley in 09~ Come Visit me <3

http://arina-shirakawa.deviantart.com

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users