• This topic is locked

The New Crossplay Alliance

#331 User is offline   Jam-Kiske 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 10878

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:54 PM

That sounds reasonable... it is a busy time of year at the moment in general anyway... @.@
Oops can't afford to go to ACEN anymore! >:

#332 User is offline   *Mio* 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 17014

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:24 AM

I am really bored here tonight so I will necro this thread back to life. What do you guys plan for the new year? I am ready to just go back and forth here since my mind can't concentrate that well right now. Any ideas you want to talk about is cool with me right now.
Cosplays for ACEN '11:

Mio Akiyama from K-on http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3622/351423..._8b9024f213.jpg

Rest TBD

Yes, I am a Bishie and part of the Bishie Brigade...your point?

#333 User is offline   HaruHE 

• Calendar Angel
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 10773

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:26 AM

Well, you already know my situation, so that pretty much leaves me a stiff for the new year.
Once more returned to the forums. 2013 ideas:
Hieda No Akyu: Project Touhou
Shadow Yukiko Amagi: Persona 4
Kyouko Sakura (Magic form): Magi Madoka Magica

#334 User is offline   *Mio* 

• Pip

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:44 AM

Well, you won't be a stiff forever. I know you will be ready for Acen. It will pass. Been kinda boring after Christmas here along with being weird with my first one with my parents separated. All of you had a good holiday? Also was wondering a little bit about the rest of you guys/gals since I kinda like to get to know people. Are you gamers first, anime first, manga first? Any kind of ice breaker like that or something you want to share. Please don't be shy.
Cosplays for ACEN '11:

Mio Akiyama from K-on http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3622/351423..._8b9024f213.jpg

Rest TBD

#335 User is offline   Jam-Kiske 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:39 AM

Hmm... well my Christmas was pretty decent. I never seen anyone save for the family that lives in my house but it's still pretty good.

As for what I put first... Well only certain games [points to username :D] since I'm really picky in terms of what I'll play. After that probably... I dunno... I only really follow three manga series and watch one anime at a time while following one... I'd love to have time to read and watch more though...

#336 User is offline   Kanku 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18079

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:41 AM

I have the typical dysfunctionally family so the holidays were fun. 8DD Lots of booze involved. x3 I got my wig heads that I asked for. WOOT! ^^

Um, about me.......

Anime came first, in the form of Sailor Moon and Pokemon. Also, Cyborg 009. Um, I eventually got into manga like Ranma 1/2, Fushigi Yuugi, and Yugioh in middle school. !Oh, forgot about Akira. xD; I am picky about games, like Jam-kiske, so I haven't played that many, but mostly rpg's, and the classics, like Paperboy and Duckhunt. 8D Ya old school.
Acen '10 cosplay~
Ivan Braginsky/Russia Of Axis Powers Hetalia[%100] Friday Night Sadiq Adnan/Turkey[Ottoman Empire Variant] of Axis Powers Hetalia[%100]Private shoot Kusama Nowaki of Junjou Egoist[??%] Private shootMori-senpai of Ouran High School Host Club [60%][for OHSHC shoot] [b]Germany/Ludwig/b] of Axis Powers Hetalia[%20] sometime... >_>

I am homosexual with heterosexual tendencies. 8D Lietkun is my LOVE... not yours Poland so sod off.
DeviantArt Cosplay.com Facebook LJ

#337 User is offline   Kitsu-chan 

• 2+2 = 5
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 6190
  • Location:Hiding from my Sewing machine. Shh... Don't tell it I'm under the bed.

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:05 PM

I'm amazed to say, I haven't spent all my Xmas money yet. I've bought 8 manga, 3 DVDs, the entire Negima Series (season 1, OVA, & season 2 part 1), three video games, & a keyboard.

I'm gonna be playing around with my keyboard tonite since I have work in the morning.
Resident Ladyboy of the ACen Forums

Sadly won't be attending ACen 2012. So I'll be taking my cosplay up a notch for 2013.

#338 User is offline   *Mio* 

• Pip

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:13 PM

Got mostly money here...it is being saved up for this con and other things. This was my first xmas since my parents split up so it was really weird for me honestly. Happy that I got the time and all, just felt awkward.

And I was a gamer since I was 4. I give most things an attempt before I give up on it. Was not until high school still I found anime on a bored night when I finally got my own tv in my room. Finally started Gurren Lagan, the first anime I have watched in over a year.

Other that that, still kinda boring even with it being a new year now. Not many people back yet around my school so just biding my time. Glad to see some activity in here so now what with the new year with all of you guys and girls?
Cosplays for ACEN '11:

Rest TBD

#339 User is offline   hidetopet 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 22030

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:49 AM

yay for crossplay!

~dances~

<33333
ACen 2010's cosplay has changed! I shall now be cosplaying Kayo, keyboardist of the group POLYSICS, to celebrate her graduation from the band!

#340 User is offline   Kanku 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:20 AM

Yes, crossplay is so much fun. xD save for the binding down of the boobehs. Dx That can be painful but you get used to it after awhile.
Acen '10 cosplay~
Ivan Braginsky/Russia Of Axis Powers Hetalia[%100] Friday Night Sadiq Adnan/Turkey[Ottoman Empire Variant] of Axis Powers Hetalia[%100]Private shoot Kusama Nowaki of Junjou Egoist[??%] Private shootMori-senpai of Ouran High School Host Club [60%][for OHSHC shoot] [b]Germany/Ludwig/b] of Axis Powers Hetalia[%20] sometime... >_>

I am homosexual with heterosexual tendencies. 8D Lietkun is my LOVE... not yours Poland so sod off.

#341 User is offline   HaruHE 

• Calendar Angel
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:22 AM

Crossplay - There's nothing like it.

#342 User is offline   hidetopet 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:39 AM

View PostKanku, on Jan 12 2009, 12:20 PM, said:

Yes, crossplay is so much fun. xD save for the binding down of the boobehs. Dx That can be painful but you get used to it after awhile.

Oh God yes...I understand completely. ~nods nods~

And I found that I like to be comfortable while running around at cons, and guys' clothes are so comfy. ^___^
ACen 2010's cosplay has changed! I shall now be cosplaying Kayo, keyboardist of the group POLYSICS, to celebrate her graduation from the band!

#343 User is offline   Kitsu-chan 

• 2+2 = 5
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Location:Hiding from my Sewing machine. Shh... Don't tell it I'm under the bed.

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:09 PM

Yay for my cosplay list suffering another death. I think it's changed twice, but I haven't updated my sig yet. IF I can get ahold of a copy of Queen Millennia, I'll be adding it to my list of crossplays. Plus I've got a TOP-SECRET crossplay... if I ever sit down & watch the DVD that's been right next to my chair for the past week.

I will give a hint, it is from a Masamune Shirow anime.

Sadly won't be attending ACen 2012. So I'll be taking my cosplay up a notch for 2013.

#344 User is offline   Kanku 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:19 PM

View Posthidetopet, on Jan 12 2009, 11:39 AM, said:

Oh God yes...I understand completely. ~nods nods~

And I found that I like to be comfortable while running around at cons, and guys' clothes are so comfy. ^___^

Same here, yet all my guys were fitted clothing or trench coats. xD; Well, except for Kenny and Jun. lol.
Acen '10 cosplay~

#345 User is offline   *Mio* 

• Pip

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:00 PM

Boredom strikes again, first week of classes are very boring.

Anyway, finally in process of starting the costumes here. I can't sew and don't care to get into cosplay drama that can be cosplay contests so found commissioner for the Jam costume. The Haruhi one is being a little harder to find since I was hope to take a basic bunny costume and modifying it. Along with still needing to find a wig for Jam, shoes for both, and minor details as well.

Along with saying hope all of your new years are going good, hope everyone enjoys the costumes they are putting together. Seems like it so far.

Before I forget, Kitsu, are you not doing Dizzy anymore?
Cosplays for ACEN '11:

Rest TBD

#346 User is offline   Kitsu-chan 

• 2+2 = 5
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:02 AM

View Post~X~, on Jan 14 2009, 11:00 PM, said:

Anyway, finally in process of starting the costumes here. I can't sew and don't care to get into cosplay drama that can be cosplay contests so found commissioner for the Jam costume. The Haruhi one is being a little harder to find since I was hope to take a basic bunny costume and modifying it. Along with still needing to find a wig for Jam, shoes for both, and minor details as well.

Along with saying hope all of your new years are going good, hope everyone enjoys the costumes they are putting together. Seems like it so far.

Before I forget, Kitsu, are you not doing Dizzy anymore?

I'm honestly not sure anymore. It'll depend on what I can finish. I have a second job for the next 2 weeks & it might become permenant. I'm testing well water since the guy who normally does it went to China, he's adopting a kid & had to go to finalize everything. If he decides his real job + water testing + kid = too much, then I get the job & double my income. Not bad considering it takes 2 hours tops & most of that is driving around to the wellhouses. The actual tests takes maybe 15 minutes from set-up to clean up.

#347 User is offline   hidetopet 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:28 AM

wow...I want a job testing water....sounds interesting and easy.

#348 User is offline   Jam-Kiske 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:23 PM

View Post~X~, on Jan 14 2009, 11:00 PM, said:

There's an awesome Jam wig somewhere... it's probably uber expensive though.
Let me find the link...
http://www.pettingzo...ry/wig_jam.html
Umm.. the price thing confuses me but it looks like it's at least 185 bucks... so... yeah... >>

And I need to at least order my Shinji costume since I know for sure I can't make that...

#349 User is offline   *Mio* 

• Pip

Posted 16 January 2009 - 02:12 AM

View PostJam-Kiske, on Jan 15 2009, 03:23 PM, said:

There's an awesome Jam wig somewhere... it's probably uber expensive though.
Let me find the link...
http://www.pettingzo...ry/wig_jam.html
Umm.. the price thing confuses me but it looks like it's at least 185 bucks... so... yeah... >>

And I need to at least order my Shinji costume since I know for sure I can't make that...

Yea, I don't know if I want to put more money into the wig than what I am getting the whole costume minus shoes for. Got a reference today that I will call and see if I can be helped tomorrow.

Only thing I need to actually get is the shoes and I just need to be not lazy and go and get them.
Cosplays for ACEN '11:

Rest TBD

#350 User is offline   Sailor Anime 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 19583

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:25 AM

View Post~X~, on Jan 16 2009, 02:12 AM, said:

Yea, I don't know if I want to put more money into the wig than what I am getting the whole costume minus shoes for. Got a reference today that I will call and see if I can be helped tomorrow.

Only thing I need to actually get is the shoes and I just need to be not lazy and go and get them.

The only problem I can see with not spending more on the wig than the costume is that her costume is pretty tiny and the wig should be huge. I can imagine (provided you are making both yourself) that the costume will cost around $20-40 depending on what type of materials you get and what sales are going on. The wig will probably run about $60-80 just for the base wig and extensions. So eveen if you are making it yourself, the wig is going to be more than the costume. (Sorry if that sounded snippy or harsh. :/ )

#351 User is offline   *Mio* 

• Pip

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:42 PM

View PostSailor Anime, on Jan 16 2009, 11:25 AM, said:

The only problem I can see with not spending more on the wig than the costume is that her costume is pretty tiny and the wig should be huge. I can imagine (provided you are making both yourself) that the costume will cost around $20-40 depending on what type of materials you get and what sales are going on. The wig will probably run about $60-80 just for the base wig and extensions. So eveen if you are making it yourself, the wig is going to be more than the costume. (Sorry if that sounded snippy or harsh. :/ )

It would be if I was making this myself if I remember the calculations right, but with my somewhat lack of experience needed to sew and such I am doing the cop out and getting both things made for me since I apparently have been saving more money in the last few months that I planned. Granted down the road I might want to adventure into making my own, but for now and knowing I can be somewhat of a perfectionist, will let someone with more experience than me do it for now.
Cosplays for ACEN '11:

Rest TBD

#352 User is offline   HaruHE 

• Calendar Angel
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:43 PM

Nothing wrong with having help on stuff amigo, you and I had this talk on AIM.

#353 User is offline   Jam-Kiske 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:44 PM

I second that.
I've tried to do most stuff myself up to this point but since all I can do is alter I always do simple cosplays.
This year I'm venturing out and will need to buy at least one of them... though I have to figure out where I can find it... >>

#354 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 9629

Posted 16 January 2009 - 02:58 PM

Heyo!

Haven't been in here for a while :) Thought I'd contribute to the topic at hand.

It's perfectly okay to get help making costumes, especially when you're just starting out. I've known how to sew for years, well before I started cosplaying, so I try to make as much as possible but not everyone has that ability. :)

So far I've made two costumes that are pretty much all sewn by me (my Rukia Kuchiki costume and my Dani Phantom costume), and two that are mostly bought with some added handmade accessories (Hermione, bought except for the robes which are altered graduation robes; Captain Jack, bought except for the wrist strap, which I made, and I added patches to the WWII jacket and stripes to the Coat).

I would make more from scratch but first off, a lot of the cosplays I wanna do are a little beyond my skill right now (like anything from Cardcaptor Sakura) and secondly I'm kinda unemployed and broke. But my goal before November is to make Donna's "Fires of Pompeii" dress (which will be from scratch) to enter in the Chicago TARDIS Masq. And by Acen 2010 by golly I'm gonna get that Kagura costume made!! :D

Phew...anyway, that was my two cents. Oh and I dunno how much time I'll have on my hands because of school (20 page paper in my reference class....ugh....) but if y'all need sewing help feel free to hollar, I'll do my best!
Special Needs and Compliance DH for Acen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
Acen 2014: 50s Sailor Mercury, Agent Simmons from S.H.I.E.L.D., Kim Possible, Ghostbuster, frazzled DH
Youmacon 2014: (tentative) Captain Marvelous, Agent Simmons?, Ace from Doctor Who?
Chicago TARDIS 2014: (tentative) Fourth Doctor, Ace

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My blog / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#355 User is offline   Aoicat 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 24627

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:32 PM

My turn to resurrect this thread I suppose. I'll definately be crossplaying all weekend. I'm gonna be doing Kagura Sohma on Saturday, but I haven't decided what to do the other days yet. I'm thinking of a new costume for Acen, but I don't want to reveal it yet. I'll most likely be working in the dealers room all weekend, so please stop by and say hello. I help out a guy named John who makes hand painted shirts and bags and such. Hopefully they include a map of the dealers room again, he calls his company Foreign Expressions. Hope everyone else's costumes are coming along well.

#356 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:07 AM

Is any meetup or gathering going to happen for this group? I need to know by tonight, Saturday the 8th by 10 pm please!

#357 User is offline   keitaro-849 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 9285

Posted 25 April 2009 - 03:38 AM

yay for crossplaying!! i got 3 crossplays this year :P
If you wanna chat to me ;)
aim: keitaro849
msn: alan849@hotmail.com
yahoo: dejiko849
facebook: http://facebook.com/Dashy.of.harmony