Anime Central Forums: First-time In The Alley: How Much Stuff Should I Bring? - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

First-time In The Alley: How Much Stuff Should I Bring?

#1 User is offline   sonteen12 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 15886

Posted 24 November 2008 - 12:51 PM

Hi!! I am planning to get a space in the artist's alley in 2009. I want just half a table.
This year, I went to the con but didn't get to walk-through the alley all that much due to limited time and completely-broke issues. XD
I heard that there is much traffic going through the alley, but I still can't estimate how many ppl will buy my stuff.

So, my question is, how many print/item should I bring so that I don't have many left over after con but enough to last for 3 days? I think I'll have like 10-15 different artworks to make into prints, and maybe 10 different chibi character keychains for sell. If I bring about 10 prints for each artwork, and 20 keychains per each design, would that be enough?

And what is the average number of prints do you artists usually bring to sell? Do most people prefer 8X10 or 11X17 prints?

Thank you in advance for your help. ^^

This post has been edited by sonteen12: 24 November 2008 - 12:54 PM

#2 User is offline   frzndaqiri 

• Webmistress
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 4043

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:10 AM

That is something that can vary greatly from artist to artist, and con to con. I typically recommend getting started on a small local con (even one of the free ones at a university) so that you can adjust throughout the weekend easily.

Diving into ACEN as your first AA can be an overwhelming experience, and if you can't get your feet wet first somewhere smaller, just keep in mind that a successful AA takes a while to hone, and none of us got it right the first time out. I feel bad for those who base returning to AA or not on their first run in a large con, because if you keep at it, it can be very rewarding in many ways.

I still can't reliably predict what will be a big seller of mine, and it is a juggling act getting the right balance of enough but not too much stock. ;)

I'm sure several folks will be happy to give your their perspective (I don't do straight artwork per se, so can't offer suggestions there), just remember your mileage may vary. :D So I guess my guidance is: Don't give up! Like any "business", it takes a while to find the method and plan that works best for you.
2013 will be my 11th year at ACen! Staff for '09/'10/'11/'12/'13
Currently: Webmistress and Registration System Admin - my answers on them are as STAFF - PM if you need help

Come visit DisjointedImages in Artist's Alley for Cosplay photo buttons and custom made buttons
Get a button or upgrade it to a keychain/zipper pull/magnet/bottle opener/mirror for just a quarter more.
Visit the blog for latest news and contests! Disjointed Images Blog
100% guarantee on buttons. If it breaks, come see me for a FREE replacement.

#3 User is offline   Carmel 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 10537

Posted 01 December 2008 - 12:00 PM

As the previous person stated, it can vary greatly from artist to artist and from con to con and none of us got it right the first time (or two or three) out. What you were thinking of bringing sounds pretty good but I can't tell you for sure if that's enough or not. The only advice I can really give is this: Do the best you can and learn from the experience. And overall, have fun while you're doing it! Oh and in my experience, people like to have 8x10 prints. It's a standard size that is easy to get a frame for or stick in a binder or something. Sometimes going for 5x7 isn't a bad idea either. But it really depends on the subject of your prints. I hope you do well and have lots of fun in the AA!
~ Carmel

#4 User is offline   Worldlygate 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 5907

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:05 PM

I usually bring like 10 prints of each artwork. Usually it's my posters,bookmarks, and commissions that sell out fast. I would recommend for your first time bring 10 prints of each artwork and plenty keychains. The small stuff usually sells out faster. My first AA was at ACEN 2006 and each following year I make double the amount of the previous year. That just proves that the more you work at it, the more you'll make and sell. =]
DeviantART

Cosplaying as...

Haruhi Suzumiya~

#5 User is offline   sonteen12 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 15886

Posted 03 December 2008 - 09:04 PM

Thanks so much for your advice, guys. ^^ I keep them in mind.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users