Anime Central Forums: 2009 Hotel Room Block Comments And Questions - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

2009 Hotel Room Block Comments And Questions

#1 User is offline   Kyuu 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 348

Posted 11 November 2008 - 10:26 PM

Hmm. Playing around with the site, it seems that the ACEN rates are locked for May 8-10 - per the convention dates. However, is there a way to book a Hyatt room for May 7-10 - and still take advantage of the convention rates?

I'll be keeping tabs. Thanks for the help. :)
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. -- Ferris Bueller

Anime Currently Watching

#2 User is offline   El Ken 

• Guest Relations Section Chief
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 5629

Posted 11 November 2008 - 10:33 PM

Actually, the rates are good from May 6th through the 10th. I have noticed some booking issues if the bed type availability isn't the same for all the dates requested. If you can't get it to go through online, make the call to reserve.
Ken Leiding

Guest Relations Section Chief (2011- )

Hotel/Convention Site Relations, Retired (2006-2010)

@kenleiding

「いっぺん死んで見る?」

#3 User is offline   MishaB 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 17419

Posted 12 November 2008 - 05:24 PM

Yeah, I was looking to see about booking a room for the 7th - 10th but I keep getting a message saying that the group discount isn't available for those dates, but if I change the reservation dates from the 8th to the 10th then it works.
COSPLAY ACen 2013

Fri/Sat/Sun: Oerba Yun Fang
Percentage done: 0%

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" Adam Savage (Mythbusters)

#4 User is offline   Isamu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 8918

Posted 12 November 2008 - 05:30 PM

I believe you have to call to be able to get the extra day.
"Frank and explicit"-that is the right line to take when you wish to conceal your own mind and to confuse the minds of others.
Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they didn't, they'd be married too.
Santa on the crapper is officially dead.
Acens attended. 2001,2002,2007-2011.
STVO the 2013 Hellfire champ.

#5 User is offline   MishaB 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 17419

Posted 12 November 2008 - 05:35 PM

Is the group code for the other hotels (Embassy, Sofitel, Doubletree) the same as the one for the Hyatt or is it different? I tried G-anma for the Doubletree and I'm getting eror messages
COSPLAY ACen 2013

Fri/Sat/Sun: Oerba Yun Fang
Percentage done: 0%

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" Adam Savage (Mythbusters)

#6 User is offline   Isamu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 November 2008 - 07:36 AM

The overflow hotels haven't been released yet. In order to use the code you will have to wait until Acen releases them.
"Frank and explicit"-that is the right line to take when you wish to conceal your own mind and to confuse the minds of others.
Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they didn't, they'd be married too.

#7 User is offline   El Ken 

• PipPipPip

Posted 13 November 2008 - 03:16 PM

View PostIsamu, on Nov 13 2008, 07:36 AM, said:

The overflow hotels haven't been released yet. In order to use the code you will have to wait until Acen releases them.

Very true. Once we officially release the room blocks for the overflow hotels, I will give you all the information you need to book. That information will be posted in the sticky 2009 Hotel Room Block Information. Most likely, the codes will be different for each hotel chain.
Ken Leiding

@kenleiding

「いっぺん死んで見る?」

#8 User is offline   Coderjoe 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 11503

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:58 AM

It appears that at the Hyatt, Thursday is filled up in the group rate, while Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday are still available. I just made my reservation, and currently have my rate split with the normal rate for Thursday (my arrival date) and the group rate Friday and Saturday.

I had to do this at another convention last year, and I'm wondering if the con and hotel are underestimating the number of people that plan on showing up on Thursday.
Video Art Track Staff, Anime Weekend Atlanta, 2003 to present.

#9 User is offline   `Aygen` 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 4646

Posted 03 January 2009 - 06:07 PM

View PostCoderjoe, on Jan 3 2009, 10:58 AM, said:

It appears that at the Hyatt, Thursday is filled up in the group rate, while Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday are still available. I just made my reservation, and currently have my rate split with the normal rate for Thursday (my arrival date) and the group rate Friday and Saturday.

I had to do this at another convention last year, and I'm wondering if the con and hotel are underestimating the number of people that plan on showing up on Thursday.

It does seem odd that thursday is already sold out. I have a booking at the doubletree I'm ready to cancel as soon as I can get a thu-sun reservation at the hyatt.

日の出では、大麻が舞う そこでラム酒を1パイントを上げると別のガブ飲みする モルガン船長の呪いこの運命に導いている
ない恐れがあるので、ドントルックバック 来世を待って!

_,.=+-~'"`^*^`"'~-+=.,_,.=+-~'"`^*^`"'~-+=.,_
Wii Code - 3597 5584 7250 3042
Xbox Live Tag - Kohato

_,.=+-~'"`^*^`"'~-+=.,_,.=+-~'"`^*^`"'~-+=.,_

#10 User is offline   JJS 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 22018

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:42 PM

I'm in the same situation, booked Thursday at the regular rate ($229, OUCH) and Fri/Sat at acen rate. It is very odd that Thursday would be sold out when the rest of the weekend isn't. Is there another convention going on next door again?

#11 User is offline   Unka Josh 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 13162

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:42 PM

Probably. And it'll probably delay us being able to set up the video rooms yet again.

Yes, I'm pessimistic about this kind of thing.
There is a slight flaw in my character.

#12 User is offline   sailorgaia 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 3856

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:50 PM

Can you give me any advice on when to start contacting the Hyatt to see if any double bed room vacancies have opened up? I'm usually much better at reserving ahead of time but by the time I got to it, only King's were left, which I reserved in lieu of not wanting to have -nothing-. You guys were too fast for me this year! Is it better to wait until April to start calling the hotel or should I periodically be checking in? I'd hate to be abnoxious! Thanks!! <3
"I like it when you clap for me, Ultros. I can just close my eyes and imagine that four people are clapping for me at once!"
Locke, the Hand of God

#13 User is offline   elektrik.star 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 22227

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:19 PM

View Postsailorgaia, on Jan 13 2009, 03:50 PM, said:

Can you give me any advice on when to start contacting the Hyatt to see if any double bed room vacancies have opened up? I'm usually much better at reserving ahead of time but by the time I got to it, only King's were left, which I reserved in lieu of not wanting to have -nothing-. You guys were too fast for me this year! Is it better to wait until April to start calling the hotel or should I periodically be checking in? I'd hate to be abnoxious! Thanks!! <3

I would periodically check. In fact, I would frequently check, myself. Or, you can just get yourself a nice double bed over at the double tree or embassy. personally, I'm staying at the embassy. I've attended acen for the past three consecutive years, and the first year I was at the Hyatt. I personally don't like their service, or their rooms. Not very large, and the elevators are always mysteriously down, plus some of management can be rather rude when addressing issues. So I purposely waited this year to get into the Embassy at con-rates. I've stayed at the doubletree and they're nice, but admittedly the farthest trip down the hamster trail from the convention.

However, the Embassy, I assure you, is nice, has easy, close parking, connected to the hamster trail, and the prices are VERY comparable to the price of getting a room at Hyatt. Plus, the room with the two beds is seperate from your living area which includes another pull out sofa bed on top of the two regular beds.

Not that I'm a spokesperson for Embassy, I just think that it's a better choice over Hyatt anyway (between the hussle/bussle from the convention being RIGHT THERE, and the small rooms).

#14 User is offline   JJS 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 22018

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:05 PM

Just wondering if anyone else has had success getting a room in the Acen block for Thursday night at the Hyatt? Were there fewer rooms reserved for the block for Thursday or something?

#15 User is offline   El Ken 

• PipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:55 PM

View PostJJS, on Jan 28 2009, 08:05 PM, said:

Just wondering if anyone else has had success getting a room in the Acen block for Thursday night at the Hyatt? Were there fewer rooms reserved for the block for Thursday or something?

That is correct. We blocked off fewer rooms for Thursday night because we don't sell out that night. I apologize if you weren't able to reserve at the con rate on Thursday. The Hyatt is supposed to expand the block as it comes close to filling. Apparently they did not do that.

Speaking of the Hyatt, it does appear to be sold out. Embassy Suites is really close to filling the block as well (they should also increase the block size should it fill up). The DoubleTree is getting up there as well...

Which brings me to my next point: New hotel blocks will be opening within the next week or two. Please watch this sub-forum for the latest information.
Ken Leiding

@kenleiding

「いっぺん死んで見る?」

#16 User is offline   kataimiko 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 6303

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:18 PM

View PostEl Ken, on Jan 28 2009, 11:55 PM, said:

That is correct. We blocked off fewer rooms for Thursday night because we don't sell out that night. I apologize if you weren't able to reserve at the con rate on Thursday. The Hyatt is supposed to expand the block as it comes close to filling. Apparently they did not do that.

Speaking of the Hyatt, it does appear to be sold out. Embassy Suites is really close to filling the block as well (they should also increase the block size should it fill up). The DoubleTree is getting up there as well...

Which brings me to my next point: New hotel blocks will be opening within the next week or two. Please watch this sub-forum for the latest information.

I JUST called the Embassy Suites to make a reservation for one room, and they said they are now completely full.

Does this mean they expanded the room block withing the past 12 hours and it filled as well? O___o

Is there a way to check and see if they have in fact expanded the room block? I am really tempted to call and ask to speak with a general manager about this, because the woman I spoke when trying to reserve a room was not helpful at all, and was quite rude.

[edit:]

just called them back and spoke to another woman, and she says that all of the rooms in the hotel are booked, even the ones outside of the room block. She said that there are no rooms to add to the block to expand it, unless the convention reserved extra ones outside of the block to add into it.

#17 User is offline   El Ken 

• PipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:54 PM

View Postkataimiko, on Jan 29 2009, 02:18 PM, said:

I JUST called the Embassy Suites to make a reservation for one room, and they said they are now completely full.

Does this mean they expanded the room block withing the past 12 hours and it filled as well? O___o

Is there a way to check and see if they have in fact expanded the room block? I am really tempted to call and ask to speak with a general manager about this, because the woman I spoke when trying to reserve a room was not helpful at all, and was quite rude.

[edit:]

just called them back and spoke to another woman, and she says that all of the rooms in the hotel are booked, even the ones outside of the room block. She said that there are no rooms to add to the block to expand it, unless the convention reserved extra ones outside of the block to add into it.

Thank you for that helpful information. I was about to check for that very same information (and I will still verify it).

I have verified that the Hyatt is sold out Friday and Saturday nights. The room block is sold out for Thursday night, but I'm not sure about the remainder of the hotel.

I am checking the status of Embassy Suites and the DoubleTree. It appears that the Embassy is sold out completely - I will verify that.

New area hotel room blocks should be right around the corner. I'm just waiting on signatures right now.
Ken Leiding

@kenleiding

「いっぺん死んで見る?」

#18 User is offline   Norumu 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 68

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:24 PM

View PostEl Ken, on Jan 30 2009, 01:54 AM, said:

Thank you for that helpful information. I was about to check for that very same information (and I will still verify it).

I have verified that the Hyatt is sold out Friday and Saturday nights. The room block is sold out for Thursday night, but I'm not sure about the remainder of the hotel.

I am checking the status of Embassy Suites and the DoubleTree. It appears that the Embassy is sold out completely - I will verify that.

New area hotel room blocks should be right around the corner. I'm just waiting on signatures right now.

Updates seem to be delayed here, but after checking the Double Tree for a few days now, both phone and online, it would seem the whole hotel (especially the convention block) is very much full, much to my distress. :(
Covered in duct tape for the sake of cosplay.

#19 User is offline   akaikurama 

• Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 10043

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:12 PM

View PostNorumu, on Feb 10 2009, 03:24 PM, said:

Updates seem to be delayed here, but after checking the Double Tree for a few days now, both phone and online, it would seem the whole hotel (especially the convention block) is very much full, much to my distress. :(

There is are more overflow hotels available check this thread for the list of the other hotels: http://www.acen.org/...showtopic=25918
Remember...
Pics
Short but sweet!!

#20 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• Honorary Forum Therapist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 447

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:54 AM

View Postsailorgaia, on Jan 13 2009, 03:50 PM, said:

Theres no point in calling to see if double bed vacancies have opened up. Even if you reserve double beds, its first come first served the way I understand it. So if you get there early and ask to be switched to a double bed room, you'll get it. I know a couple years ago I reserved 2 rooms with 2 king beds, got there early and was able to get 2 double bed rooms.

Yeah I don't like how they do it, but it is what it is.
Armageddicon!!
Columbus, OH December 21-23, 2012
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/

#21 User is offline   Norumu 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 68

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:03 AM

View Postakaikurama, on Feb 10 2009, 11:12 PM, said:

There is are more overflow hotels available check this thread for the list of the other hotels: http://www.acen.org/...showtopic=25918

Oh, I know! :) Just updating that one such hotel is all full and such.
Plus the other overflow hotels have sucky walks/shuttle necessity to the convention area, save for the Sofitel.
Covered in duct tape for the sake of cosplay.

#22 User is offline   sailorgaia 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 3856

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:30 AM

View PostFlyingElf, on Feb 11 2009, 08:54 AM, said:

Theres no point in calling to see if double bed vacancies have opened up. Even if you reserve double beds, its first come first served the way I understand it. So if you get there early and ask to be switched to a double bed room, you'll get it. I know a couple years ago I reserved 2 rooms with 2 king beds, got there early and was able to get 2 double bed rooms.

Yeah I don't like how they do it, but it is what it is.

I had a suspicion it was like this, actually. I appreciate you confirming it for me! We always get to ACen about 3-ish on Thursday so I think what I might do is get there earlier this year and see if I can get my doubles! Thanks, FlyingElf!
"I like it when you clap for me, Ultros. I can just close my eyes and imagine that four people are clapping for me at once!"
Locke, the Hand of God

#23 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• Honorary Forum Therapist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 447

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:40 AM

View Postsailorgaia, on Feb 11 2009, 11:30 AM, said:

I had a suspicion it was like this, actually. I appreciate you confirming it for me! We always get to ACen about 3-ish on Thursday so I think what I might do is get there earlier this year and see if I can get my doubles! Thanks, FlyingElf!

Thats right around the time I get there as well and I've never had problems getting doubles, so hopefully you won't either. Good luck to us both.
Armageddicon!!
Columbus, OH December 21-23, 2012
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/

#24 User is offline   Isamu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:11 PM

I myself will be there on Tuesday.

#25 User is offline   akaikurama 

• Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 10043

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:24 PM

yea this year I'll get to arrive on Thursday night, for a change and not have to come friday morning during rush hour traffic, so I'm all like *grrrrrr* people drive like nut jobs, but that tension goes away after about a half hour of arriving at ACEN!!!
Remember...
Pics
Short but sweet!!

#26 User is offline   Aya 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 16803

Posted 11 February 2009 - 01:25 PM

I'll be there on Thursday too with my group. We're going to leave Madison hopefully by 10:30-11 AM. And hope to be there by at least 2 or 3 depending on the traffic.
Possible Cosplay's for ACen 2011
~Futuristic Blood Elf: World of Warcraft/Original Design.(5%)
~Team Rocket Grunt: Pokemon

~Lightning: Final Fantasy XIII (5%)
~Umbreon Gijinka: Pokemon (5%)

#27 User is offline   jsieczkar 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 17116

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:21 AM

In reference to the Residence Inn how late are the shuttles to and from running till? I'm staying their before the con and it would be nice not to have to move.
2008-2009 IRT - Callsign JR
2010 IRT Dispatch - Callsign JR
2011-Present Industry Relations Manager

#28 User is offline   Rurounotaku 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 9477

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:53 PM

View Postjsieczkar, on Mar 16 2009, 09:21 AM, said:

In reference to the Residence Inn how late are the shuttles to and from running till? I'm staying their before the con and it would be nice not to have to move.

From the time that I stayed at this inn at 2007 ACen, I remembered that the first shuttle leaves at 8-9am on Fri and Sat and a bit later on Sunday at 9-10am (don't know why; perhaps it's b/c of the Sat night partying). Then through the day, they run hourly to/from the inn. The last shuttle back to the inn is 1-2am on Fri and Sat. The inn posted the shuttle schedule on a board across from the check-in desk. What I say may change a bit this time tho, but hope this helps.

It was cheaper to stay there with free parking, but it's far away from all the action. The shuttle ride is about 10-15 min each way, so it's a lot of hassle since you can't go back to your room easily to relax/eat, change costumes, and/or put away all the goodies one bought from dealers.

This post has been edited by Rurounotaku: 23 March 2009 - 07:54 PM

#29 User is offline   Neonraver247 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 9839

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:46 AM

Don't know if this thread is even live anymore, but we're staying at the Embassy for the 1st time; does anyone know if they charge a non-refundable fee a month before you stay like the Hyatt or anything similar?
ACEN 2010:
Friday: Lolita w/ dolls in tow
Saturday: Vergil (DMC)
Sunday: Idk... Vergil or lolita. Whichever one I feel is less work lol.

#30 User is offline   daegan 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 1417

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:39 PM

View PostNeonraver247, on Mar 27 2009, 05:46 PM, said:

Don't know if this thread is even live anymore, but we're staying at the Embassy for the 1st time; does anyone know if they charge a non-refundable fee a month before you stay like the Hyatt or anything similar?

No and this is one of the many many reasons why the Embassy freaking rules.
mbrosatellite.com : home of m-bro
articles about anime, games, and con life | BROCAST - a nerdy podcast | upcoming m-bro panels

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users