Anime Central Forums: "the Manga Is Better Than The Anime" Stereotype... - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

"the Manga Is Better Than The Anime" Stereotype...

#1 User is offline   Lucky777 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 19289

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:49 AM

Lately I've been wondering about this all too common stereotype among the anime fandom, that apparently the manga version is usually somehow "much better" almost all the time. I'm the type of person who would read manga as a last resort out of pure boredom, I'm not the type to pick it up first then watch what I read. I'm a very visual kind of person and prefer to see it fleshed out in colors, and action, and moving on a screen as opposed to gray pages that are still and lack motion. To me the anime is generally better than the manga. Is there anyone else here who prefers anime or am I alone on this one?

#2 User is offline   YokaiShinigami  

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 19171

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:16 AM

To me it really depends on how much time I have on my hands, because I can burn through manga pretty quickly (read the first 14 Bleach novels in three nights) but if I have time I prefer anime
My Deviant Art: http://yokaishinigam...deviantart.com/
Well since I'm part of the Spam Squad, *pulls out an imaginary aresonal of Spam Busting equipment that would look awesome if it were real*SPAM SQUAD HQ
3351 1113 6925 : my pearl friend code BYAKKO's the name
Youtube

#3 User is offline   akaikurama 

• Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 10043

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:32 AM

I like both, I read the manga to get what the orginal story was intended and watch the anime because the people who make them have some type of changes and stuff they like to put in or leave out. Sometimes the anime is way different than the manga.
Remember...
Pics
Short but sweet!!

#4 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:41 AM

Well if you think about it, sometimes its just like reading a book and then watching the movie based on the book. The book is always better when it comes to movies lol but with anime, it kinda depends. But I've found that the manga is MUCH better than the anime most of the time. I do like a lot of the animes that I see, but usually the manga is better.
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#5 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19670

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:43 AM

For me, I choose manga to be better, however, with anime, a lot of the manga is already created so they know where things will be headed. With that being said, they can then make connections earlier on in the anime than the manga.
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#6 User is offline   YokaiShinigami  

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:04 AM

View Postakaikurama, on Nov 2 2008, 11:32 AM, said:

I like both, I read the manga to get what the orginal story was intended and watch the anime because the people who make them have some type of changes and stuff they like to put in or leave out. Sometimes the anime is way different than the manga.

like FMA
Well since I'm part of the Spam Squad, *pulls out an imaginary aresonal of Spam Busting equipment that would look awesome if it were real*SPAM SQUAD HQ
Youtube

#7 User is offline   nukiuchi 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9995

Posted 02 November 2008 - 01:44 PM

Hmm I don't know if there's a standing stereotype of one being better than the other. One of the debate topics at last year's AX otaku parliamentary debates was exactly this, and if I remember correctly the room ending up being split close to 50/50. I could argue in either direction, depending on which series, too. I'd like to think that there are aspects to appreciate in both media. :)
(O_o) nukiuchi + kai (^_^)

俺を誰とが思ってやがる~?!

#8 User is offline   GiveUpTheGhost 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3441

Posted 02 November 2008 - 05:56 PM

I love berserk. While the anime was awesome in my eyes. It stops woefully short of the entire story and leaves alot out. So in that case to me the manga is better than the anime.
My barren plan to be a better man
Rots in abandoned fields
These idle hands inherit spoiled lands
As the hungry become the pigs
We reap (and) we sow
We mourn who we were
Love what we lost

#9 User is offline   Aonele 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 11231

Posted 02 November 2008 - 06:40 PM

I'm also more likely to read manga than anime since 1) it comes out usually more quickly than anime 2) it takes less time to finish 3) it keeps to the original art better

I LOVE Naruto manga, but I'd rather pluck out my eyes than watch its anime. Naruto animation just isn't very good at all, imo. Take Tsubasa too. I love Tsubasa (CLAMP), but its manga art is so neat and pretty that when they try to animate it, it just doesn't transfer very well. I remember watching the xxxHOLIC anime once and saw Yuko's hair all squiggling and stuff and I was just like "WTH?" and just stopped watching it lol.

There are exceptions to the manga-is-better rule sometimes though. Take Samurai Champloo, FLCL, and Ouran High School Host Club for examples. SC's manga is just a bunch of short stories that provide laughs more than storyline. FLCL is just out there lol. OHSHC anime wrapped up pretty well whereas the manga is still at a drag-on right now :\ I might even throw Cowboy Bebop on the manga-is-better exception list, as the CB manga is also just side stories.

I only watch anime when I have the time. I recently finished Code Geass anime, and it was great. I would read CD in manga form too, but its mangas are all spin-offs, so sometimes it really depends on the preference of the reader.

Also, there are manga versions of video games too (take Kingdom Hearts for example), but for those it's probably always better to play the game xD
---Cosplay List 2012---
Will not be attending ;-;

#10 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19670

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:17 PM

View PostAonele, on Nov 2 2008, 06:40 PM, said:

I'm also more likely to read manga than anime since 1) it comes out usually more quickly than anime 2) it takes less time to finish 3) it keeps to the original art better

I LOVE Naruto manga, but I'd rather pluck out my eyes than watch its anime. Naruto animation just isn't very good at all, imo. Take Tsubasa too. I love Tsubasa (CLAMP), but its manga art is so neat and pretty that when they try to animate it, it just doesn't transfer very well. I remember watching the xxxHOLIC anime once and saw Yuko's hair all squiggling and stuff and I was just like "WTH?" and just stopped watching it lol.

There are exceptions to the manga-is-better rule sometimes though. Take Samurai Champloo, FLCL, and Ouran High School Host Club for examples. SC's manga is just a bunch of short stories that provide laughs more than storyline. FLCL is just out there lol. OHSHC anime wrapped up pretty well whereas the manga is still at a drag-on right now :\ I might even throw Cowboy Bebop on the manga-is-better exception list, as the CB manga is also just side stories.

I only watch anime when I have the time. I recently finished Code Geass anime, and it was great. I would read CD in manga form too, but its mangas are all spin-offs, so sometimes it really depends on the preference of the reader.

Also, there are manga versions of video games too (take Kingdom Hearts for example), but for those it's probably always better to play the game xD

Though you have to keep in mind that Samurai Champloo's manga was actually created after the anime.
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#11 User is offline   Lucky777 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:05 PM

View Postakaikurama, on Nov 2 2008, 11:32 AM, said:

Although would you really want to pay for the same material twice if you are a firm believer in buying the DVDS to support the companies? Buying and watching exactly what you read in the manga would be lame to me. It's not necessarily a bad thing that the anime is different than the manga, in fact I'm glad it typically is different. I don't want to go through the same thing twice (unless it happens to be a favorite series of mine.)

This post has been edited by Lucky777: 02 November 2008 - 10:06 PM

#12 User is offline   jsieczkar 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 17116

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:17 PM

Here is my take on the Manga vs Anime debate:

A bad manga and a bad anime will both suck
A average manga will be better then an average anime
A good anime will be better then a good manga
A great anime will be far better then a great manga
Here is my thought process.

Manga is a less complex media and therefor has less to mess up on, hence it is easier for anime to be dropped down to mediocre status. For manga you have a story and art to judge the book by. Where as in anime you have story, art, color, animation, voice, and the score.

Story: Neither one is a better or worse medium for the telling of a story.
Art: Most anime and manga share a very similar artistic styles so both can be judged on equal grounds. I can say that I have seen the same ratio for crappy and great art between the two.
Color: This is when the two sides move apart from each other. The use of color can sink or soar an anime based on how well it is done. An example of poor art in anime would be Pilot Candidate. It was uninspired as well as inconsistent which drags the whole show down. On the opposite end of the spectrum you have the Studio Gihbli films as well as Honey and Clover or Kaiba. This group of shows uses color in a consistent manner that can show a set of emotions or can show a mood of a character or of a whole universe.
Score: This this the category that can send an anime over the top or doom it to mediocrity. A score is more then just the music it is all the sounds that you hear. A collection of good pop songs does not lead to a good score only to a good welling OST. A good score is able to sell a scene or an emotion, this is one of the hardest thing to do that both east and west do not do well. In the west we have movies like 2001, Lord of the rings and even American Pie on the eastern side of things we have the various works of Joe Hisaishi, Cowboy Bebop or Millennium Actress. In all these cases you see instruments usage that matches the setting as well as the mood. In the case of Princess Mononoke the music in the Emishi village is wood sound in base as well as very pure (uncluttered) and simple. In the realm of the forest spirit you once again have wood based sound but it is more complex, which fits what is going on with the story at that point. In irontown you have a wood sound under a metallic sound with far more complex arrangement which fits the environment and story at that point.

So in closing manga comes across as better not because it is better, but do to the fact that anime is a more complex environment in which to create. This in turn makes it far easier to make a bad anime. But if all the pieces are put together just right you get a final product that will blow the best manga out of the water.
2008-2009 IRT - Callsign JR
2010 IRT Dispatch - Callsign JR
2011-Present Industry Relations Manager

#13 User is offline   Ketsueki Raven 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 11782

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:30 AM

I've always leaned towards manga. I started on anime (Toonami woo!), but I began collecting manga before I got the novels. There's just some things that animes seem to cut out that I felt were important to the story. Not to mention, I like reading the author's chat sections (which are usually fun and humorous :D) However, I've always been more of a reader (I prefer to read the novel and then watch the movie). Perhaps its because I love the feeling you get when you are pulled into the world of the book. I feel more involved and absorbed than I do when I watch anime, which tends to prevent me from being transfixed (because it's so much like just watching TV).

Delta Phi Lambda Sorority, Inc.
#45 Airyn from ISU's Terrific Three Nu Class SPR '10

"If it looks like I'm fading, light a torch for me."
@ketsueki_raven

#14 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• Honorary Forum Therapist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 447

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:33 AM

Its an interesting debate. I belive the stereotype definitely exists that manga is better than anime. I believe part of it is that the manga usually goes a lot more indepth in the story where an anime may leave out key backstory or change some parts to fit a television audience. Also, I believe some people say it simply to sound more intelligent because people who read regularly are generally thought to have a higher IQ and be more sophisticated.

In general though I believe a lot depends on the genre. An action driven shounen type story usually is much better to watch as an anime. Manga simply can't portray action and fight sequences nearly as well. Other series that are much better on TV are ones that have a heavy music base. Stuff like Beck and Nodame Cantabile, I found I enjoyed the anime much more than the manga because the music really pulls you into the series. Without it, it feels like theres something missing.
Armageddicon!!
Columbus, OH December 21-23, 2012
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/

#15 User is offline   i~liek~mudkipz 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 19248

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:00 PM

That usually applies to shows with lots of filler.

Personally, I prefer anime, since I'm a very visual person. Moving colored scenes>Still black-and-white pics with text bubbles. Plus, anime has BGM. BGM makes anything better, except for REALLY dramatic scenes. Those are fine with and without it.

If an anime has fillers, just skip them, and you'll be fine.

This post has been edited by i~liek~mudkipz: 03 November 2008 - 08:02 PM

Cosplays for ACen '11:
-Yami Bakura/Florence (Yu-Gi-Oh! Abridged) (0% complete)
-Scar (Fullmetal Alchemist) (0% complete)

#16 User is offline   IAmTheMurderer 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 19131

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:29 PM

Really, this all depends on which you see first. It's kind of the same with dubs versus subs too - if you see the series subbed, you'll probably like the original Japanese more. If you see it dubbed, you'll like it more. It's all about what voice you get used to and mentally connect with the character.
I've seen some movies that were much better than books and some books that were much better than movies. For me, each of them have their distinct differences, strengths and weaknesses.

I will say though that after reading the Death Note manga, I didn't bother to watch the anime since I assumed it was a fairly faithful redoing. I also never bothered to read the earlier volumes of Ouran, though I am keeping up with the current chapters, as well as with Vampire Knight. If a manga and an anime stay fairly close together, I won't bother to read/watch whichever one I happen upon second.
"It could be worse. There could be zombies."

Cosplays
New Carly Nagisa - Yugioh 5Ds
Old: Enma Ai - Jigoku Shoujo | Yako Katsuragi - Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro | Haruhi Fujioka - Ouran High School Host Club | Maya Fey - Phoenix Wright | Kafuka Fura - Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei | Fumika - Shigofumi | Shizuka - Strongest Legend Kurosawa

#17 User is offline   YokaiShinigami  

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:43 PM

I don't know about anyone else, but I personally liked the FMA anime more than the manga , and am a bit disappointed that they aren't continuing the story after Shamballa
Youtube

#18 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3332

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:21 AM

I'm a very visual kind of person and prefer to see it fleshed out in colors, and action, and moving on a screen as opposed to gray pages that are still and lack motion.

The funny thing about saying ur a VISUAL person, is the manga almost always way more detail and subtled than the anime version. If it's your preference to watch anime, than do it,but looking at most series, totally objectively, in a lot of cases the manga is better. You really need a good director, who cares about the series and actually wants to capture the feel and motifs of the series exactly as strongly as the original author(who does the manga in most cases) and it rarely happens. Usually anime is made more as a spinoff and thus, there isnt as much care put into anime adaptations most of the time.

Most cases where the anime is superior by far, is when the show is MADE originally for television and the manga is made as the spinoff to capatilize on popularity. There's also less working room to "improve" when adapting a series from a manga since you might piss off hardcore fans.

#19 User is offline   Cherry_Wolf 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 2860

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:15 AM

Also, I believe some people say it simply to sound more intelligent because people who read regularly are generally thought to have a higher IQ and be more sophisticated.

fffft. Of course, I read my manga with my pink out! :lol:

All joking aside-

I personally prefer manga over anime. The manga, more often than not, will go in depth with everything and won't stray from the storyline. Anime tends to create filler episodes, or(depending on how long the series) filler arcs, and fillers can be done right... sometimes they can give you this foul taste in your mouth that makes you want to give up on the series(Naruto). Anime also can finish at an odd place or finish up so quickly because of either budget or not enough material to work with..

either way, I don't think one is 'better' than the other as seen as a whole. There are some anime that are better than their manga counterparts(Princess Tutu), but there is also some manga better than their anime counterparts(Full Moon wo Sagashite) I think a lot of it has to do with level of taste and what you like best.
Possible 2015 Cosplays- TBA
Thursday-
Friday- Gon Freecs(HunterxHunter) - 0%
Saturday- Shimizu Kiyoko(Haikyuu!!) - 0%
Sunday-

#20 User is offline   Lucky777 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:51 AM

View PostKeiichi-chan, on Nov 18 2008, 12:21 AM, said:

The funny thing about saying ur a VISUAL person, is the manga almost always way more detail and subtled than the anime version.

Most cases where the anime is superior by far, is when the show is MADE originally for television and the manga is made as the spinoff to capatilize on popularity. There's also less working room to "improve" when adapting a series from a manga since you might piss off hardcore fans.

First of all, the manga for me typically lacks so much, and that goes for lots of things. With the anime I feel it's just "finished" if you will- with the sound, and the movement and all. It's just so much more entertaining to me to see it on screen than to read black and white still comic strips. I know "hardcore fans" who have only seen three series at most and get all whiny when the anime is SLIGHTLY off, and that's usually the manga they just read too. You would think these "hardcore fans" might be more flexible with that stuff, but half of the time for me that hasn't been the case.

This post has been edited by Lucky777: 18 November 2008 - 08:52 AM

#21 User is offline   YokaiShinigami  

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2008 - 04:23 PM

View PostLucky777, on Nov 18 2008, 08:51 AM, said:

First of all, the manga for me typically lacks so much, and that goes for lots of things. With the anime I feel it's just "finished" if you will- with the sound, and the movement and all. It's just so much more entertaining to me to see it on screen than to read black and white still comic strips. I know "hardcore fans" who have only seen three series at most and get all whiny when the anime is SLIGHTLY off, and that's usually the manga they just read too. You would think these "hardcore fans" might be more flexible with that stuff, but half of the time for me that hasn't been the case.

Also they are different mediums, what works in manga won't always work in anime and vice-versa... so you can expect there to be differences in the two (and I have found the anime versions to be more refined and better than the manga when this is done right.. IMO)
Youtube

#22 User is offline   Lucky777 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:01 PM

View PostFlyingElf, on Nov 3 2008, 10:33 AM, said:

Also, I believe some people say it simply to sound more intelligent because people who read regularly are generally thought to have a higher IQ and be more sophisticated.

More sophisticated? That sounds so ridiculous. It's like saying "I read comics therefore I'm more sophisticated than you."

#23 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3332

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:54 PM

First of all, the manga for me typically lacks so much, and that goes for lots of things. With the anime I feel it's just "finished" if you will- with the sound, and the movement and all. It's just so much more entertaining to me to see it on screen than to read black and white still comic strips.

I guess you don't like using your imagination or the personal connection you get when reading yourself? It's a whole different experience, when you read and based on the personalities and experiences you have set voices in your heads for the characters and all that. Often the anime ruins that, other times it improves that by choosing BETTER voices than you'd imagined. Like I said, it depends, but usually it's just more rewarding for me to have that personal experience of reading and seeing the artwork "come to life" via the pages instead of literally animated for me. Not to mention, you can get through manga a lot quicker and easier than anime.

There are certain scenes in a manga that come across comedic but the anime director may intepret them as ULTRA SERIOUS. It depends on how much you want things laid out to you and how much you enjoy intepreting and connecting with the work on a more personal level. That tends to by why the fanbase gets to upset when something is changed. They read the manga and have a deep personal connection with the source material. But yeah, sometimes the anime FIXES things and the fanbase is too rapid to appreciate that. A lot ofthe changes, just create plotholes though.

And ppl defintely say this just to seem more intelligent and be elitist. That sucks, but it doesnt change the point that they're right in most cases. I agree with what flyingelf said basically. Fighting is USUALLY(there are some rare exceptions) better in anime and music,too. However, the 2nd season of Nodame rly is lacking...so..meh.
It's just that they're different mediums. Each has their own weaknesses and advantages to offer. I think you should try some manga for series you havent seen the anime adaptation for and then watch the anime second and you'll see the difference. You simply enjoy each medium in totally different ways.

#24 User is offline   IAmTheMurderer 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 19131

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:10 PM

View PostKeiichi-chan, on Nov 18 2008, 08:54 PM, said:

I guess you don't like using your imagination or the personal connection you get when reading yourself? It's a whole different experience, when you read and based on the personalities and experiences you have set voices in your heads for the characters and all that. Often the anime ruins that, other times it improves that by choosing BETTER voices than you'd imagined. Like I said, it depends, but usually it's just more rewarding for me to have that personal experience of reading and seeing the artwork "come to life" via the pages instead of literally animated for me. Not to mention, you can get through manga a lot quicker and easier than anime.

This I agree with.
If you do much reading, it's as good as having an anime playing in your head. I can read, particularly a manga, and imagine scenes in colors with action and voices. It's just something you kind of do if you're a reader and can really get into a book.
"It could be worse. There could be zombies."

Cosplays
New Carly Nagisa - Yugioh 5Ds
Old: Enma Ai - Jigoku Shoujo | Yako Katsuragi - Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro | Haruhi Fujioka - Ouran High School Host Club | Maya Fey - Phoenix Wright | Kafuka Fura - Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei | Fumika - Shigofumi | Shizuka - Strongest Legend Kurosawa

#25 User is offline   YouWaShock 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 19648

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:21 PM

Another random observation...

Someone had mentioned earlier how adapting manga to anime is like adapting books to movies; the book is almost always better. That's because if you have a well established author, with a unique writing style, it's very hard to translate that uniqueness to the screen. Take Stephen King, for instance. His books have been turned into movies and TV shows time and time again, but I've never seen a single one that does a good job at capturing the spirit of his novels. There's just something there that can't be duplicated.

I think manga has a similar problem. It's very hard to capture that unique spirit of the original manga author. Clamp is a great example; I actually like a lot of anime adaptations of Clamp's works, but given the choice, I'll always choose to read Clamp's original mangas. It's hard to name the exact reason why, but I guess it's just difficult to replicate the spirit of works made by great artists. It's a rare case (Mamoru Oshii's adaptation of Urusei Yatsura is one of the very very few I actually think of) when that spirit is able to be recreated.
My ACen Cosplay History:
2004- Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop)
2005- Vicious (Cowboy Bebop)
2006- Nabeshin (Excel Saga)
2007/2008- Yuna (Final Fantasy X/X2)
2008/2009- Haruhi Suzumiya (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)
2010- A secret. For now ^_^

#26 User is offline   droopy172 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 19801

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:16 AM

Youwashock summed it up pretty well the anime is cooler cuz its the characters brought to life. Another big problem is if the anime is just a 1 hour or two hour movie and the manga is much longer how do you fit everything into a 1-2 hour time block. Its like the DaVinci Code the movie did not do the book justice at all. As for the series now the problem is usually the opposite of a movie, they have to fill a 30 minute time slot this leads to filler episodes, or added pointless content so they drag things on to prolong the series. I think that is why the stereotype exists at least in my opinion.

#27 User is offline   Lucky777 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 24 November 2008 - 12:10 AM

View PostKeiichi-chan, on Nov 18 2008, 07:54 PM, said:

Just because I prefer media with a little bit of life to it doesn't mean I don't feel that personal connection while reading, or lack imagination. I just don't like it expressed through comics as much as other media, like paintings, poetry or music. Although usually for me since I prefer seeing it animated, it takes me forever to get through one manga, so I can't relate. I just don't like seeing my favorite art style so still, that's all. I don't find it appealing as others here do. I only read manga unless I'm really curious to see how much different it is from the anime, or if I'm very bored. However, that's just me.

This post has been edited by Lucky777: 24 November 2008 - 12:11 AM

#28 User is offline   Lezzy-cat 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 7032

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:25 AM

Most of the time, I prefer manga over anime. There are so many anime out there that I wish they had a manga for (or had a translated version of) so that I can take the story with me. Probably one of my favorite things about manga is that its portable. I can take it to work with me, read it on my breaks, and that leaves that time available when I get home that I don't spend being a couch potato (well, I generally end up being a computer potato, but thats besides the point). A lot of times, I do prefer the manga over the anime because of quality visually (with the exception of like FLCL, anime ftw). Because its not animated and doesn't have to be redrawn a million times for a single scene, manga usually have so much more detail in them than anime do, and thats a big thing to me (I can't read/watch a series if its not nice to look at). Plus manga usually tends to have a more in-depth storyline, and there aren't time restraints to reduce it (like you can explain something in a couple of pages that may take an hour in screen time). Manga usually isn't as redundant as anime can be too, because of how its broken down.. With episodes, there has to be a beginning, middle, and end of every episode, with some mild story continuation, whereas with manga, that spreads through a whole volume of a book, or sometimes a few volumes. I'm thinking along the lines of Sailor Moon. The episodes can kind of run together, where probably about 70% of the episodes at least are pretty much the same thing in a different setting with different characters, and then maybe about 5 minutes of actual plot.. things are more drawn out than they need to be. The manga is completely NOT that, there's a continuing story, and each part of the manga is a part of that story, and not just filler.
Artist for Catstered Creations
http://www.catsteredcreations.com

#29 User is offline   mordion 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 18340

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:29 PM

the portability issue is a good point, that's why I read so much more manga than I watch anime. Another thing I like about reading over watching is that I can take it at my own pace, so if something like an interesting moral dilemma comes up in the plot, I can stop and think about it before seeing what the characters will do. And if a character is really beautifully drawn, I can look at all the detail without them moving around the whole time.
Though I do think it depends on the title, there are certainly animes I like more than their manga.
Kichi Panel!

2012 cosplay: Tsumugi (Don't Say Lazy outfit)

#30 User is offline   Lucky777 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:30 PM

View PostLezzy-cat, on Nov 25 2008, 06:25 AM, said:

Manga usually isn't as redundant as anime can be too, because of how its broken down.. With episodes, there has to be a beginning, middle, and end of every episode, with some mild story continuation, whereas with manga, that spreads through a whole volume of a book, or sometimes a few volumes. I'm thinking along the lines of Sailor Moon. The episodes can kind of run together, where probably about 70% of the episodes at least are pretty much the same thing in a different setting with different characters, and then maybe about 5 minutes of actual plot.. things are more drawn out than they need to be. The manga is completely NOT that, there's a continuing story, and each part of the manga is a part of that story, and not just filler.

Although there are some episodes that have a continuation and don't end after several episodes. Sometimes an anime is serious about not cramming it with filler, but as in the case of Sailor Moon, it's a monster of the day kind of series. There can't be episodes that don't at least, eventually have a beginning middle or end in it. Also, anime can have a continuing story it's just usually different from the manga is all. Just because it may be tweaked for screening doesn't mean it's just filler all the time.

You know, there are anime with a continuing story that don't end which were finished before the manga was-and in some cases where there is no manga for it at all.

Ones I can name-Zombie Loan (The manga was done after the anime), plus Kino's Journey and Noir don't even have a manga version to speak of. Those were continuing stories that didn't even need a manga to start with.

This post has been edited by Lucky777: 27 November 2008 - 01:32 PM

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users