F. A. Q. 09 2009 FAQ, I will post a 2010 update soon

#31 User is online   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 8053

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:20 PM

View PostLezzy-cat, on Dec 22 2008, 06:25 AM, said:

Any chance you could post the actual date here (or message me with it if for some reason you don't want it public knowledge)? I didn't get a copy of the welcome letter, as I'm not the one who registered the table, and communication between me and my table mate isn't the greatest right now, especially with her going on vacation, like, todayish, but I will be in the alley, and I need to know when I need to have her paid so she doesn't freak out about not having the money.

If it is about the table payment for the first tier of artists who have paid for their badges (so the people who have gotten confirmations and will tonight) it is Feb. 1st. I must have misread your original post and when I re-read over it things didnt click. I hope it has not happened again. If it is about something else please let me know.
Exhibit Space Department Manager 2009, 10, 11, 12, 13, & 14
Exhibit Space Assistant Manager 2007 & 08

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your career."

#32 User is offline   Lezzy-cat 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 7032

Posted 23 December 2008 - 06:03 AM

View PostVoltaire30, on Dec 22 2008, 11:20 PM, said:

If it is about the table payment for the first tier of artists who have paid for their badges (so the people who have gotten confirmations and will tonight) it is Feb. 1st. I must have misread your original post and when I re-read over it things didnt click. I hope it has not happened again. If it is about something else please let me know.

lol Thanks, thats what I wanted. XD
Artist for Catstered Creations
http://www.catsteredcreations.com

#33 User is offline   bunnybeth 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 15

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:14 AM

View PostVoltaire30, on Dec 18 2008, 03:59 PM, said:

Yes (it would just make for more paperwork at con), as long as they know what they are signing. Since the rules have changes this year it would benefit your studio and them that they know the consequences for any rule infraction. The rules are more strict this year.

Thanks for the response. I'll make sure they look at the updated rules before the con.
CONversations A webcomic about the CON experience
Anime Eats! A cookbook inspired by food in anime and manga.

"Words can only hurt if you try to read them. Don't play their game." -Derek Zoolander
[BadCat Studios] [CONversations] [Bunnybeth.net]

#34 User is offline   bexxie 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 417

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:16 PM

Ok, I doubt it, but here's a question: Will there be WiFi or any form of internet connection at AA?
Hey.

#35 User is offline   frzndaqiri 

• Webmistress
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 4043

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:49 AM

The hotel does have Wifi, but you would have to purchase it. I have not reliably gotten it to connect in AA however. The convention center does offer network access, but I don't know what the costs are and I believe ACEN would have to request this in advance.
2013 will be my 11th year at ACen! Staff for '09/'10/'11/'12/'13
Currently: Webmistress and Registration System Admin - my answers on them are as STAFF - PM if you need help

Come visit DisjointedImages in Artist's Alley for Cosplay photo buttons and custom made buttons
Get a button or upgrade it to a keychain/zipper pull/magnet/bottle opener/mirror for just a quarter more.
Visit the blog for latest news and contests! Disjointed Images Blog
100% guarantee on buttons. If it breaks, come see me for a FREE replacement.

#36 User is online   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:26 AM

I am sorry I have been gone for a bit. The holiday and family season lasted longer than expected.

To just clarify about the Wi-Fi in the convention center:
Technically their is Wi-Fi in the convention center, but it is not available. The cost and monitering the Wi-Fi for usage is rather big, to put it simply. I would sudjest what frzndaqiri mentioned, use the hotel connection. (even though you would have to pay)

I understand it can be expensive some places. When I go down their about 2 times each month during a year that is what I do. If I remember correctly (do not quote me) the internet at the Hyatt through T-Mobile is like 5.99

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your career."

#37 User is offline   frzndaqiri 

• Webmistress
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:09 AM

I always wondered about the cost. They cater to businesses w/ big expense accounts I imagine.

There is the option of getting an aircard or using your cell phone, but you would have to check with your carrier to see what charges that brings. Most find it too costly for something like AA. I usually get the hotel wifi, and if I need to look something up, try to do it during off hours (ask if a commission can be picked up later or the next day perhaps). Or have a friend jaunt off to the room to check for you. Still better than some cons that have nothing available nearby. =D
Currently: Webmistress and Registration System Admin - my answers on them are as STAFF - PM if you need help

Come visit DisjointedImages in Artist's Alley for Cosplay photo buttons and custom made buttons
Get a button or upgrade it to a keychain/zipper pull/magnet/bottle opener/mirror for just a quarter more.

#38 User is offline   Chibianimeelf 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 9892

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:28 PM

ok i'm sure this was in the welcome letter, so forgive my aweful memory :-(

were we supposed to fed ex the payment forms or is good ol' fashioned snail mail ok? and will we get a confirmation in the mail or thru email?
check out our 'Scream for Me' stuff!!!

scr3amforme.deviantart.com

see u in the alley!!

#39 User is online   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:45 PM

View PostChibianimeelf, on Jan 2 2009, 02:28 PM, said:

ok i'm sure this was in the welcome letter, so forgive my aweful memory :-(

were we supposed to fed ex the payment forms or is good ol' fashioned snail mail ok? and will we get a confirmation in the mail or thru email?

You can send it in using any kind of mail carrier you want. Just make sure it does not need a signature to be received.
You should get a confirmation through email once I receive it at the office. I try and check two times a month so please be patient.

#40 User is offline   Chibianimeelf 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 9892

Posted 02 January 2009 - 03:17 PM

ok thx! :)
check out our 'Scream for Me' stuff!!!

scr3amforme.deviantart.com

see u in the alley!!

#41 User is offline   Crizl 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 356

Posted 03 February 2009 - 01:38 PM

I just have a quick question about the hours, since I see they haven't been posted, but may be same as last year.

Is there any chance we can have later hours for AA to stay open? (I imagine the convention center may have rules about this, which is totally understandable, but never hurts to ask, right? ^^")

I just got back from Ohayocon and the Artist Alley was open until 10pm. This was terrific for sales! Lots of con attendees usually go to the dealers room first, or have photoshoots to attend, costume changing, checking into the hotel, etc. So AA traffic was very low early in the day. It really picked up after 2pm, and even better after the dealers room closed for the night. It seemed like since there was less to do in the evening, more folks come to the Artist Alley. Even during the Masquerade, sales were great. Each night even when we were packing up, people were still coming and buying!

I know it's a long shot, but I just thought I would throw it out there. ^_^" I imagine we couldn't stay open THAT late, but even 1 extra hour would really help.

#42 User is online   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:00 PM

View PostCrizl, on Feb 3 2009, 01:38 PM, said:

I just have a quick question about the hours, since I see they haven't been posted, but may be same as last year.

Is there any chance we can have later hours for AA to stay open? (I imagine the convention center may have rules about this, which is totally understandable, but never hurts to ask, right? ^^")

I just got back from Ohayocon and the Artist Alley was open until 10pm. This was terrific for sales! Lots of con attendees usually go to the dealers room first, or have photoshoots to attend, costume changing, checking into the hotel, etc. So AA traffic was very low early in the day. It really picked up after 2pm, and even better after the dealers room closed for the night. It seemed like since there was less to do in the evening, more folks come to the Artist Alley. Even during the Masquerade, sales were great. Each night even when we were packing up, people were still coming and buying!

I know it's a long shot, but I just thought I would throw it out there. ^_^ " I imagine we couldn't stay open THAT late, but even 1 extra hour would really help.

The AA hours are now up on the website.
I understand wanting longer hours, unfortunately we are as close to the limit that the convention center will allow.

I was at Ohayocon, I hope you stopped by the ACen table :) . I may have looked very dazed/tired, the drive and 2 hours of sleep each night will do that to you (which may be a factor in me being sick :( ).

#43 User is offline   meomeo 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 9369

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:30 PM

edit: nevermind, just saw the reply right above me, thanks

This post has been edited by meomeo: 18 February 2009 - 07:31 PM

#44 User is online   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:57 PM

I am still tossing around the idea of the air horn for this year.
I heard nothing but complaints about it mostly from last year. To be perfectly honest though we were not in trouble much since people left earlier and didnt wait around as much in the convention center.
Yes it would be wonderful to have the PA system but who knows if we will get it, and who will actually listen to it.
We should have balloons again on all AA/AS staffers, and EHall staffers will join us with balloons as well. Dont worry their will be a color for each area. I am also toying around with the idea of number of balloons to signafy DH, ADH, Staff. Any thoughts on what would be most helpfull?

#45 User is offline   frzndaqiri 

• Webmistress
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:11 AM

How about a plain mylar balloon (the shiny ones) or colored one with sticker letters for DH etc? Those are readily available at dollar stores and the like here (not sure about Rosemont) and pretty cheap.

#46 User is offline   bexxie 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 417

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:49 PM

Ok, so when it says "Registration of additional studio members at-con" pay $55, that does not include members who registered before the April deadline, right? It's kind of like a late fee? Or am I misinterpreting it?
Hey.

#47 User is online   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 March 2009 - 02:29 PM

View Postbeckiebootwo, on Mar 12 2009, 01:49 PM, said:

Ok, so when it says "Registration of additional studio members at-con" pay $55, that does not include members who registered before the April deadline, right? It's kind of like a late fee? Or am I misinterpreting it?

That is the REG cost at the door. So if they waited to REG until at con, they will have to pay $55.
It is the badge cost. So AA/AS doesn't charge you extra but we do follow the con REG rules

#48 User is offline   Spooky Elric 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 23668

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:42 AM

I chose to be put on the waiting list for a full table, if I go to the con and then decide I only want a half size table can I downgrade [provided I get a table]?
<3 I'm the owner of Spooky Designs. Check out my deviant art. I also go to this sweet convention called Youmacon, you should try to go sometime<3
<3 Ohayocon 2012 Cosplays:
Chloe Brennan, Steampunk: 100%??||Kaylee, Firefly: 100%||

<3 Attending ACen with Crimson Chain Leatherworks.

#49 User is online   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:16 AM

View PostSpooky Elric, on Apr 2 2009, 01:42 AM, said:

I chose to be put on the waiting list for a full table, if I go to the con and then decide I only want a half size table can I downgrade [provided I get a table]?

Provided a table becomes available, yes.

#50 User is offline   Manifested Dreams 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 19370

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:50 PM

I'm currently finalizing my display set up for ACEN and had two questions. I appologize if these have already been covered and I just didn't see them when I looked:

Will we be allotted any space beside our tables? I have wire rack displays that I use that I've put on the floor next to my table at other conventions. It works great, but I don't want to just assume I'll do that and then get there and have to redo my whole set up idea.

Second, does the convention center allow us to hang things off of the walls? Not nails or anything of course but what about that putty that is used for posters? The kind you just peel off the wall and it's clean? I just got myself a vinyl banner that I'd love to display *behind* the table but I've never made a pvc display and am hesitant to throw something together so soon to the convention(been on the receiving end of a falling one just one too many times)

Alternatively, if anyone can suggest an easy and reliable way to hang a relatively lightweight, 3 ft vinyl banner that would also work for me. The sign was very last minute so I didn't really plan :(

Thanks in advance!

~Aria

This post has been edited by Manifested Dreams: 22 April 2009 - 12:51 PM

#51 User is offline   Alysia 

• MAPS Director
  • PipPip
  • Group: MAPS Board
  • Member No.: 237

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:57 PM

View PostManifested Dreams, on Apr 22 2009, 01:50 PM, said:

I'm currently finalizing my display set up for ACEN and had two questions. I appologize if these have already been covered and I just didn't see them when I looked:

Will we be allotted any space beside our tables? I have wire rack displays that I use that I've put on the floor next to my table at other conventions. It works great, but I don't want to just assume I'll do that and then get there and have to redo my whole set up idea.

Second, does the convention center allow us to hang things off of the walls? Not nails or anything of course but what about that putty that is used for posters? The kind you just peel off the wall and it's clean? I just got myself a vinyl banner that I'd love to display *behind* the table but I've never made a pvc display and am hesitant to throw something together so soon to the convention(been on the receiving end of a falling one just one too many times)

Alternatively, if anyone can suggest an easy and reliable way to hang a relatively lightweight, 3 ft vinyl banner that would also work for me. The sign was very last minute so I didn't really plan :(

Thanks in advance!

~Aria

Just a former AA Dh, but the tables are set end to end, and we don't want to block aisles, so the side racks probably won't work unless you happen to be in an end spot. We aren't allowed to hang anything on the walls in the convention center or hotels.

If you don't feel comfortable making the pvc display (I could send you plans if you want to in the future) what might work is to get a set or two of the wire display cubes, make them into two pillars behind the table, weight the bottoms, and hang the banner between them.

#52 User is offline   Manifested Dreams 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 22 April 2009 - 01:03 PM

View PostAlysia, on Apr 22 2009, 02:57 PM, said:

Just a former AA Dh, but the tables are set end to end, and we don't want to block aisles, so the side racks probably won't work unless you happen to be in an end spot. We aren't allowed to hang anything on the walls in the convention center or hotels.

If you don't feel comfortable making the pvc display (I could send you plans if you want to in the future) what might work is to get a set or two of the wire display cubes, make them into two pillars behind the table, weight the bottoms, and hang the banner between them.

If you could send me the plans that would be fabulous, I really appreciate it. My e-mail is manifesteddreams at yahoo dot com(or send it in PM, whatever works!)

I hadn't even thought of using the cubes but I think that will work, thanks so much!

#53 User is offline   Alysia 

• MAPS Director
  • PipPip

Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:31 PM

View PostManifested Dreams, on Apr 22 2009, 02:03 PM, said:

If you could send me the plans that would be fabulous, I really appreciate it. My e-mail is manifesteddreams at yahoo dot com(or send it in PM, whatever works!)

I hadn't even thought of using the cubes but I think that will work, thanks so much!

You're welcome. I will hunt those up and send them to you.

#54 User is offline   Manifested Dreams 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:55 PM

Another question from me(sorry!)

My partner in crime won't be arriving until early Friday morning(like...1am early) and she's bringing a lot of my display units and the like for me(me and the bf are flying)

Now my question is, when will the AA be open to the Artists on Friday morning? We're going to have to rush to set up(which seems to be usual for us x_x; ) so knowing the earliest we can get in would be helpful. Thanks!

#55 User is offline   arina_shirakawa 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 81

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:09 PM

Hi! I have a question. Are we allowed to bring our own grid display walls? I haven't purchased mine yet, but they are suppose to be 2' x 8'. Would that be ok if I out that behind my table? Thanks!

Arina Shirakawa (and don't take it as my real name, lol :p ) Registration Staff 2003-2004/ Production/ Semi -Registration Staff 2005

Cheesy with my Cutie Since Dec 14, 2005 <3

Gonna try to get a table @ Artist Alley in 09~ Come Visit me <3

http://arina-shirakawa.deviantart.com

#56 User is offline   Alysia 

• MAPS Director
  • PipPip

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:22 AM

View Postarina_shirakawa, on Apr 27 2009, 09:09 PM, said:

Hi! I have a question. Are we allowed to bring our own grid display walls? I haven't purchased mine yet, but they are suppose to be 2' x 8'. Would that be ok if I out that behind my table? Thanks!

Not Phil, but that doesn't break any rules. You'll be fine.

#57 User is offline   arina_shirakawa 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 81

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:52 AM

View PostAlysia, on Apr 28 2009, 01:22 PM, said:

Not Phil, but that doesn't break any rules. You'll be fine.

Thanks a lot!

Oh and one more question. Given this is my first year at AA in general, how does AA work in terms of getting concert tickets? Does everyone go at once when they start handing out tickets or do we have to ask someone to get it for us. I'm all by myself so I can't really leave my table and stay in line. So how would it work? Thanks a lot =)

Arina Shirakawa (and don't take it as my real name, lol :p ) Registration Staff 2003-2004/ Production/ Semi -Registration Staff 2005

Cheesy with my Cutie Since Dec 14, 2005 <3

Gonna try to get a table @ Artist Alley in 09~ Come Visit me <3

http://arina-shirakawa.deviantart.com

#58 User is offline   EtoileEyes 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 1058

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:41 PM

Question about the Setup/Checkin hours email I just got. I'm driving in on Thursday from Indiana after work. If we push it and (crosses fingers) we don't hit any traffic, we'll get there before 7pm.

I wanted to know if there was any way to extend the checkin hours by maybe an hour or two to give some traffic leeway to those of us driving up Thursday who couldn't get the day off completely (I'm skipping my lunches that week as well as working a little over time to make up for the Full Friday off, but can't get out any earlier than 4:30pm EST on Thursday). That would really make it easier on Friday morning for us since there will only be an hour of check in before we open up on Friday. I completely understand if it's not doable, but I figured I'd throw it out there since last year's checkin times seemed to be later (maybe it's just me). Thanks.

#59 User is online   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:44 PM

View PostEtoileEyes, on Apr 29 2009, 08:41 PM, said:

Question about the Setup/Checkin hours email I just got. I'm driving in on Thursday from Indiana after work. If we push it and (crosses fingers) we don't hit any traffic, we'll get there before 7pm.

I wanted to know if there was any way to extend the checkin hours by maybe an hour or two to give some traffic leeway to those of us driving up Thursday who couldn't get the day off completely (I'm skipping my lunches that week as well as working a little over time to make up for the Full Friday off, but can't get out any earlier than 4:30pm EST on Thursday). That would really make it easier on Friday morning for us since there will only be an hour of check in before we open up on Friday. I completely understand if it's not doable, but I figured I'd throw it out there since last year's checkin times seemed to be later (maybe it's just me). Thanks.

You are correct, they were later. Unfortunately we are not able to have continuous access to the convention center past 7 this year. If you want, Friday has early check-in for Artists as well.
We will try and improve that for next year.

#60 User is offline   Gwydion 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 9082

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:42 AM

The early release form - is this something we should ask about first thing when we get there, or should we wait until we are ready to leave? My sis and I were hoping to leave about an hour early on Friday for a photoshoot gathering.
Cosplay 2013:
Friday: Tsubaki (Sket Dance)
Saturday: Prince Alexander (King's Quest VI)
Sunday: uh, TMNT geek, lol

See you in the Alley! ^_^
Tenkuu no Chibi

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users