• This topic is locked

At What Age......? Answer One, Discuss One, Ask One

#1 User is offline   chappydamp 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 17235

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:33 AM

So I thought I could broaden this topic by letting people ask their own questions. But it has to start with "At What Age.....?"
Answer questions, Discuss Questions, Ask your own.
What made me think of it was this.

I got caught at work today watching anime (Azumanga Daioh in case you were wondering). One of my co-workers asked "Aren't you too old to be watching cartoons?" I said if I was he should just kill me now. So I know people of all ages enjoy anime/cartoons. But "At What Age are you surprised someone is into anime?"

And Go
Cliptomania! 2010, Giving away 100 prizes!
Saturday, 5-6:30p Embassy Room 2

ACen 10 cosplay
Mihai Mihaeroff (DOGS)
Mori (Ouran Host)
Captain Shunsui Kyōraku (Bleach)

#2 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 10 October 2008 - 01:50 AM

Since I personally know a 62-year old man--my dad--who thoroughly enjoys watching anime, my answer would be "None."

Other than Deadliest Catch (and NFL, of course), there isn't a single damn thing on TV today that I would watch over Azumanga Daioh. I can watch Cop Show XLII, or Idiot Sitcom MMLXI, or Sex-in-the-City Clone XXI, and the only thing it would do is lower my IQ as my brain cells die. Honestly, I find Osaka more funny and entertaining that Stephen Colbert and/or Jon Stewart--Osaka's stupid, but she's not stupid and annoying.

My response to "Aren't you a little old to be watching cartoons?" would be "Aren't you a little young to be my mother?"

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Try that on 'em"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#3 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• Honorary Forum Therapist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 447

Posted 10 October 2008 - 09:08 AM

View Postsentinel28a, on Oct 10 2008, 03:50 AM, said:

My response to "Aren't you a little old to be watching cartoons?" would be "Aren't you a little young to be my mother?"

Yeah, I watch anime on my laptop at work all the time...the only problem with that response is most of my coworkers aren't too young to be my mother, haha.
Armageddicon!!
Columbus, OH December 21-23, 2012
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/

#4 User is offline   PoshiPocket 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18212

Posted 10 October 2008 - 09:09 AM

hmm.. Well, i don't think i'd be surprised to see someone watching anime, no matter what their age. if it's something you enjoy it's something you enjoy, nobody has any right to criticize that. :x
EPICrecruit in Excel's Dark ArmyACEN 2010:
Confirmed: Toboe furry (Wolf's Rain), Red or Blu Soldier (TF2).
Unconfirmed: Arioch (Drakengard), Yukina (Yu Yu Hakusho)
ACen 09 pictures
Fangirl of the Bishie Brigade!

#5 User is offline   'Tano 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 19599

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:02 AM

But "At What Age are you surprised someone is into anime?"

Act your age and it's understandable. I won't be annoyed if some 13yr old is squealing at the anime they're watching, but I would be if it's some 40 year old.
Exoskeletal junction at the railroad delayed
Music major and music enthusiast.
Regularly known as Akashi on AiB and Smashboards ;o

#6 User is offline   'Tano 

• Pip

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:05 AM

View Postsentinel28a, on Oct 10 2008, 02:50 AM, said:

Since I personally know a 62-year old man--my dad--who thoroughly enjoys watching anime, my answer would be "None."

Other than Deadliest Catch (and NFL, of course), there isn't a single damn thing on TV today that I would watch over Azumanga Daioh. I can watch Cop Show XLII, or Idiot Sitcom MMLXI, or Sex-in-the-City Clone XXI, and the only thing it would do is lower my IQ as my brain cells die. Honestly, I find Osaka more funny and entertaining that Stephen Colbert and/or Jon Stewart--Osaka's stupid, but she's not stupid and annoying.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Try that on 'em"

You can say the same about all the anime clone series out there. Shy, intelligent guy moves to a huge city and finds a shy, yet intimidating girl and they get romantically involved as he lives in an all girl dorm that his grandma owns.

edit: It's a broad generalization on both of our sides.

This post has been edited by 'Tano: 10 October 2008 - 10:05 AM

#7 User is offline   akaikurama 

• Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 10043

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:22 AM

View Post'Tano, on Oct 10 2008, 11:02 AM, said:

Act your age and it's understandable. I won't be annoyed if some 13yr old is squealing at the anime they're watching, but I would be if it's some 40 year old.

So are your saying that if your older you can't get excited about watching anime? You just have to sit there like a statue and pretend that your not enjoying?
Remember...
Pics
Short but sweet!!

#8 User is offline   'Tano 

• Pip

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:31 AM

akaikurama said:

So are your saying that if your older you can't get excited about watching anime? You just have to sit there like a statue and pretend that your not enjoying?

OP said:

I got caught at work

I was talking about in public areas. You don't have to act accordingly in front of your friends or at home. If you want to slap on a fursuit and yiff your neighbor while watching Bambi in the comfort of your own home, then that's all on you.

edit: Because I always forget to add something, public places =/= conventions. Conventions give you the o.k to act however you want<_<

double: Forgot to quote Akai too, ugh. It's too early :<

This post has been edited by 'Tano: 10 October 2008 - 10:34 AM

#9 User is offline   akaikurama 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:46 AM

View Post'Tano, on Oct 10 2008, 11:31 AM, said:

I was talking about in public areas. You don't have to act accordingly in front of your friends or at home. If you want to slap on a fursuit and yiff your neighbor while watching Bambi in the comfort of your own home, then that's all on you.

edit: Because I always forget to add something, public places =/= conventions. Conventions give you the o.k to act however you want<_<

LOL.....I have no idea what yiff means...and I'm not sure I want to know.
The people I work with know that I'm into video games and anime, I show off my Acen pic to them (I have my PSP to play on breaks).
To some people anime is cartoons and nothing more and can't understand why older people watch it.
Remember...
Pics
Short but sweet!!

#10 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:51 AM

View Post'Tano, on Oct 10 2008, 12:31 PM, said:

and by too early you mean almost noon in chicago, lol.

I dunno...see I understand acting your age and that most "normal" people are going to frown at you for outbursts of emotion, but anime is emotional. Be it a touching love scene, or an outburst of epicness, there is plenty of emotion in anime. Just because something is a cartoon doesn't mean it can't convey human emotions. I think a lot of people fail to understand that because in their mind cartoons = kids. I have a hard time telling someone not to express how they feel no matter what the situation. People are too concerned about what others think these days. So even at work, as long as you are not bothering anybody (and thats the key), if you wanna express how you feel, have at it.

View Postakaikurama, on Oct 10 2008, 12:46 PM, said:

no...you don't...
Armageddicon!!

#11 User is offline   'Tano 

• Pip

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:00 AM

Yeah, I totally agree, FlyingElf. There's a gray area where you're expressing your feelings and "acting your age." Talking about an anime to some coworker and saying something like, "Yeah, I love those characters. <main protagonist> has some hilarious scenes, like in ep <blahblahblah> I can't believe he did <blahblahblah> *laughs*", whereas "AND THEN HE PUNCHED THE GUY INTO THE AIR AND HE WAS LIKE SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEE" is what I'm talking about. The latter is the only time I get annoyed D:, but once again, it's my own opinion. I don't watch much anime these days, but the stuff I do watch it pretty emotional. One Piece is by far my favorite anime, and I openly admit that I laugh and cry at scenes with my friends. They find it weird that I can get so emotional over a "cartoon", but that's ok, it's their opinion.

Dry humping with fursuits on.
http://www.urbandict...hp?term=yiffing

There's sometimes a difference between yiff and yiffing. It can be used as a verb, "to yiff", whereas the noun, "yiff" can have multiple meanings. The stuff you lean over the internets.

This post has been edited by 'Tano: 10 October 2008 - 11:02 AM

#12 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:16 AM

View Post'Tano, on Oct 10 2008, 01:00 PM, said:

Yeah, I totally agree, FlyingElf. There's a gray area where you're expressing your feelings and "acting your age." Talking about an anime to some coworker and saying something like, "Yeah, I love those characters. <main protagonist> has some hilarious scenes, like in ep <blahblahblah> I can't believe he did <blahblahblah> *laughs*", whereas "AND THEN HE PUNCHED THE GUY INTO THE AIR AND HE WAS LIKE SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEE" is what I'm talking about. The latter is the only time I get annoyed D:, but once again, it's my own opinion. I don't watch much anime these days, but the stuff I do watch it pretty emotional. One Piece is by far my favorite anime, and I openly admit that I laugh and cry at scenes with my friends. They find it weird that I can get so emotional over a "cartoon", but that's ok, it's their opinion.

I'm with you on the fangirl squeeing...then again high pitched noises really bother me in general. Like in a punch someone in the face kinda way...
Armageddicon!!

#13 User is offline   this_chick25 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 7489

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:26 AM

I wonder if making a fangirl suppress her incessant squeeing would cause her to physically explode...?

::grabs a roll of duct tape::

I think I'll go test that theory.

This post has been edited by this_chick25: 10 October 2008 - 11:26 AM

Acen Attendee since 2001
Wondering how much to save for ACen? Click here!
FREE! Cosplay construction and materials advice--get yours now!
Never cause more mischief than that which is necessary for success.
Sig invade'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd by Alk <3

#14 User is offline   PoshiPocket 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:29 AM

View Postthis_chick25, on Oct 10 2008, 12:26 PM, said:

I wonder if making a fangirl suppress her incessant squeeing would cause her to physically explode...?

::grabs a roll of duct tape::

I think I'll go test that theory.

Can i come? :3
ACen 09 pictures

#15 User is offline   akaikurama 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:47 AM

View Post'Tano, on Oct 10 2008, 12:00 PM, said:

Dry humping with fursuits on.
http://www.urbandict...hp?term=yiffing

There's sometimes a difference between yiff and yiffing. It can be used as a verb, "to yiff", whereas the noun, "yiff" can have multiple meanings. The stuff you lean over the internets.

Well, now I've learned that over the internet......oh well to each their own.....

And yes there is a time and a place for your enthusaum to show about what you like.....but that's true with anything---sports, poltics, religion etc.
Remember...
Pics
Short but sweet!!

#16 User is offline   this_chick25 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:22 PM

View PostPoshiPocket, on Oct 10 2008, 12:29 PM, said:

Can i come? :3

Will you survive the peril that comes of stalking the grounds of...

::dun dun dun~!::

Neuqua Valley High School?!?
Acen Attendee since 2001

#17 User is offline   chappydamp 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 17235

Posted 10 October 2008 - 01:12 PM

Ok, here's a little twist to my question. When at a con, how old does someone have to be for you to look and say "That persons old (or older) than what I expect to see at a con."? And does the age change if that person is in cosplay?
Cliptomania! 2010, Giving away 100 prizes!
Saturday, 5-6:30p Embassy Room 2

ACen 10 cosplay
Mihai Mihaeroff (DOGS)
Mori (Ouran Host)
Captain Shunsui Kyōraku (Bleach)

#18 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 10 October 2008 - 01:32 PM

View Postchappydamp, on Oct 10 2008, 08:12 PM, said:

Ok, here's a little twist to my question. When at a con, how old does someone have to be for you to look and say "That persons old (or older) than what I expect to see at a con."? And does the age change if that person is in cosplay?

I don't think so. Sure, it might seem unusual to see a 62 year old guy at a con, but it does happen. (I met a guy about that age, if not older, who was cosplaying as Gim from Lodoss War. Certainly an older guy with a real gray beard looks better than a 16 year old kid with a fake beard trying to pull that off.)

Tano, I see your point and I agree with you on the squeeing. That is inappropriate. However, I think there is a lot more variety even within the harem genre you describe than the crap that is on TV. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I'd rather see Tenchi or Keitaro trying to survive their respective female lunatic asylums than listen to the same old canned jokes and disgusting sexual innuendos on sitcoms. I'm not one of these types that think anime is better because it's from Japan, or that it's naturally superior, or that it's perfect. It's more like a race to the bottom, and American primetime TV reached rock bottom years ago.

At least with anime there's a chance of seeing something new and different, and I can generally tell that I'm not going to be insulted or grossed out, which is what the average episode of Family Guy does to me.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Peter Griffin Must Die"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#19 User is offline   this_chick25 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 October 2008 - 01:36 PM

View Postchappydamp, on Oct 10 2008, 02:12 PM, said:

Not to me. It's just like Disneyland--if that's what you knew since your youth (or even just recently) and that's what you love, then you're not too old to do it as long as you still love to.

My first year at ACen, I saw an elderly woman (like at least 60 years old) cosplaying Sakura Kinomoto from Cardcaptor Sakura. Now obviously this isn't one of your classics from the early days of anime, but she obviously loved cosplay, Sakura, and the outfit she wore to the point that she dressed the part. Well, that and her granddaughter was cosplaying Tomoyo Daidouji and her grandson was Syaoran Li. It was endearing--she watched the show with her grandkids, they all loved it, and when her granddaughter asked for her help to make a costume for the convention, they got to sew together!

Of course, I'm sure there were people who thought she was too old to cosplay, attend a convention, or watch anime, but she obviously was having fun, especially spending time with her grandkids doing something they all enjoyed.

This post has been edited by this_chick25: 10 October 2008 - 01:38 PM

Acen Attendee since 2001

#20 User is offline   PoshiPocket 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 October 2008 - 03:25 PM

View Postthis_chick25, on Oct 10 2008, 01:22 PM, said:

Will you survive the peril that comes of stalking the grounds of...

::dun dun dun~!::

Neuqua Valley High School?!?

I'm not sure. What makes it so hard to survive? O:

View Postchappydamp, on Oct 10 2008, 02:12 PM, said:

Hmm.. I'd say if someone looks really old and such I'll think it's a tiny bit unusual, but then i'd think it would be cool at the same time, especially if they're having fun and or cosplaying.
ACen 09 pictures

#21 User is offline   Imaurel 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 16336

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:42 PM

;0
I don't think one can be too old to watch anime, because anime has such broad subject matter. There are ones clearly made for adults, some clearly for kids, and some that can go either way. I don't understand why everything animated has to be made for kids. Is it not mature just because it's a different medium?
I've seen middle age and up cosplayers at ACEN, although I've never run into a senior citizen. Even if I did I'd be thinking "Wow, I wanna cosplay when I'm old and gray."
:~~~~~Galleries~~~~~:
www.damiset.deviantart.com
www.mangabullet.com/imaurel/profile
imaurel.webs.com
:~~~~~Joined~~~~~:
Pocky Brigade - Pocky Sabotuer
Spam Squad Member!
:~~~~~ACEN Exhibit Hall Staffer - Year 1~~~~~:

#22 User is offline   Jello 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 3087

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:25 PM

View PostImaurel, on Oct 11 2008, 12:42 AM, said:

;0
I don't think one can be too old to watch anime, because anime has such broad subject matter. There are ones clearly made for adults, some clearly for kids, and some that can go either way. I don't understand why everything animated has to be made for kids. Is it not mature just because it's a different medium?
I've seen middle age and up cosplayers at ACEN, although I've never run into a senior citizen. Even if I did I'd be thinking "Wow, I wanna cosplay when I'm old and gray."

I agree. I dont think anyone can ever be to old to watch Anime. The rare occasions I watch it, my dad watches it with me, and he just hit 51. Heck he used to record episodes of Dragonball Z at one point in time lol

ACen Registration Staff 2006-2009, 2012-2013
Assistant Department Head of Registration 2010 - 2011
Youmacon VAT Staff 2008-2012

#23 User is offline   IAmTheMurderer 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 19131

Posted 12 October 2008 - 06:59 AM

You're only as young as you feel. Corny but I believe in that phrase!
Now once I'm 60-70, will I be dressing up as 15 or 16 year old characters, like I'm doing now?
No, probably not.
However, there's plenty of adults in series and older people as well to dress as.
Don't let age stop you from doing the things that you enjoy. :)
"It could be worse. There could be zombies."

Cosplays
New Carly Nagisa - Yugioh 5Ds
Old: Enma Ai - Jigoku Shoujo | Yako Katsuragi - Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro | Haruhi Fujioka - Ouran High School Host Club | Maya Fey - Phoenix Wright | Kafuka Fura - Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei | Fumika - Shigofumi | Shizuka - Strongest Legend Kurosawa

#24 User is offline   Imaurel 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 16336

Posted 13 October 2008 - 04:31 PM

My friends dad cosplayed as Tessai while she was captain Mom and her brother was a hollow D;
I wish my dad would cosplay with me
Not on his life, though XD
:~~~~~Galleries~~~~~:
www.damiset.deviantart.com
www.mangabullet.com/imaurel/profile
imaurel.webs.com
:~~~~~Joined~~~~~:
Pocky Brigade - Pocky Sabotuer
Spam Squad Member!
:~~~~~ACEN Exhibit Hall Staffer - Year 1~~~~~:

#25 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 3332

Posted 13 October 2008 - 04:42 PM

I'm not surprised that someone 30 and over enjoys something like GITS, but when I see 33 yr olds raving about how awesome Naruto is...
This is defintely the most immature generation of people.
Not that maturity is super important but still...

And even @ 13, I found stuff like Bleach pretty cheesy and childish, so the large number of college aged ppl that are diehard about it is pretty shocking. I mean you can enjoy shows like that and Inu Yasha,but acknowledge that those series are primarily aimed at preteens and it's not ADULT because it has gore and violence in it.

#26 User is offline   jackspicer 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 3522

Posted 20 October 2008 - 04:00 PM

I'm never surprised, cartoons are meant to be enjoyed by people of all ages. Thats why there are some many genres and what not.
Proud member of the Bishe Brigade

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users