Anime Central Forums: F. A. Q. - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

F. A. Q. This might help a bit. TABLE REG IS NOT OPEN Yet..!!

#1 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 8053

Post icon  Posted 18 September 2008 - 02:54 AM

How big are the tables?
Full tables are 8ft long by 2ft wide, half tables are 4ft long by 2ft wide plan your layouts accordingly; it might help you to lay out your goods ahead of time.

Are the tables covered?
We don’t order them covered because of the price raise it would cost you, the artist, if they happen to cover the tables the w00t bonus but there are no guarantees so it may be beneficially to examine options for table dressings.

Can I pick my Spot?

No all spots are designated by the Artist alley staff; they will endeavor to honor seating requests in regards to who you would like to sit next to. All power drops supersede regular seating requests.

We cannot offer food

Some people mentioned this on the comment forms last year and I would like to address this once and for all again. We cannot offer food to you or any sort of lunch drop off. All catering contracts in the convention center must be done through the convention center or we risk breaching contract with them. We will not offer food, it is you responsibility to take care of food.

Do I get a badge with my table?
No, you are paying for a table and two chairs per full table. Badges are separate and you must register for one before you can get a table. New this year you will have to provide your badge number on the Alley/Show Registration form, or else it will not go through. (ie. Purchase a badge before reg for a table). I would suggest doing so ASAP! so you can get a cheaper price. DO NOT SELECT BADGE MAILING! you have to pick it up at con @ the AA/AS staff table.

Where is this list of artists appearing at Acen?
Like last year I will have the list of confirmed artists on the webpage so people can check out which studios will be present at the convention.

Where do I get my badge?

You pick up your badge at con when you come to check in. We will only release badges at con.

When can we set up/ take down?
You may set up Thursday night or Friday morning, I will ask that everyone endeavors to be ready at their tables when the convention opens to all attendees as a courtesy to other artists.

Art Show procedures?

If you are a participant in the art show you will notice the same set of procedures and paperwork, this is nothing to worry about. It should help to get rid of fake bidders and problems which may arise due to illegible handwriting or spelling errors.

Chairs?
Your table comes with two chairs there may be a small surplus of chairs at convention for extra seating but I wouldn’t count on it as everyone will be vying for the same seats. It may behoove you to bring extra seating if you are worried.

Can you watch my table?

No. Artist alley staff cannot sell your goods for you. If someone watches your table they are not held accountable for anything that may go missing. Be careful who you choose to watch your table, it may just be smarter if you have no one to shut down temporarily.

When will we know our table placements?
I will endeavor to make table placements and layout available in May before I leave for the convention.

Extension Cords?

If you are getting power to your table you should consider a multi tap or an extension cord to run power to your table. Power plug in will be labeled for your use if you find someone has tapped into your power please alert alley staff and we will deal with the problem accordingly.

Mailing List?
The mailing list is available to artists for the alley/show. Once the entire Alley is filled the ML will be split/edited into two lists. 1st The People who purchased, 2nd The Waiting list. The alley Staff will use this for updates which are pertinent to everyone. Please make sure you can accept mail for the domain acen.org, otherwise you will miss very important information updates and requests.

Stolen items?

Alley Staff is not responsible for any stolen items; make sure you keep an eye on your valuables.

Waitlist and At-Con Rental?

When a table opens it will be released to the waitlist in the order of registration on the waitlist. If someone fails to show up at con their table maybe released for at con rental. There is no guarantee of at con rental.
Exhibit Space Department Manager 2009, 10, 11, 12, 13, & 14
Exhibit Space Assistant Manager 2007 & 08

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your career."

#2 User is offline   frzndaqiri 

• Webmistress
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 4043

Posted 18 September 2008 - 09:15 AM

Do I get a badge with my table? and Where do I get my badge?

Maybe put a note under both of these about requesting badges to be mailed (in that you shouldn't, because AA badges have to be picked up) ;)
2013 will be my 11th year at ACen! Staff for '09/'10/'11/'12/'13
Currently: Webmistress and Registration System Admin - my answers on them are as STAFF - PM if you need help

Come visit DisjointedImages in Artist's Alley for Cosplay photo buttons and custom made buttons
Get a button or upgrade it to a keychain/zipper pull/magnet/bottle opener/mirror for just a quarter more.
Visit the blog for latest news and contests! Disjointed Images Blog
100% guarantee on buttons. If it breaks, come see me for a FREE replacement.

#3 User is offline   Lady Luck 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 17675

Posted 18 September 2008 - 02:14 PM

View Postfrzndaqiri, on Sep 18 2008, 10:15 AM, said:

Maybe put a note under both of these about requesting badges to be mailed (in that you shouldn't, because AA badges have to be picked up) ;)

What are the hours of Artist's Alley?
Pokettokon - January 10-11, 2009 - East Peoria, IL

#4 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 September 2008 - 11:09 PM

View Postfrzndaqiri, on Sep 18 2008, 10:15 AM, said:

Will do :)

View PostLady Luck, on Sep 18 2008, 03:14 PM, said:

What are the hours of Artist's Alley?

Hopefully the same as last year. I do not have an exact time. I will post it as more information becomes avaliable to me :). We just need to hammer some things out, since the Alley isn't the only thing at the con.

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your career."

#5 User is offline   neomonki 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 18787

Posted 19 September 2008 - 09:01 AM

quick question: Does the con have a refund policy? I want to get my badge early but if I don't an AA table I probably won't be able to come to the convention. I can't seem to find any info about it on the website.

Thanks!

#6 User is offline   YKawashima 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 7654

Posted 19 September 2008 - 06:25 PM

OKay I plan on getting a table this year. I know it says not to pick the mail in option but I am paying by next Friday and if the table reg isn't up I'll be getting the mail in option. Is it possible to still get the artist alley badge AT con and your normal badge through the mail. Just in case we don't get a table I would like to make sure I get my badge through the mail in option.

#7 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:40 AM

View Postneomonki, on Sep 19 2008, 10:01 AM, said:

quick question: Does the con have a refund policy? I want to get my badge early but if I don't an AA table I probably won't be able to come to the convention. I can't seem to find any info about it on the website.

Thanks!

They might, I will try and get that information. You might get a quicker response from Registration, due to the fact I have to ask them, and then tell you. But yeah I will try and post that information.

View PostYKawashima, on Sep 19 2008, 07:25 PM, said:

OKay I plan on getting a table this year. I know it says not to pick the mail in option but I am paying by next Friday and if the table reg isn't up I'll be getting the mail in option. Is it possible to still get the artist alley badge AT con and your normal badge through the mail. Just in case we don't get a table I would like to make sure I get my badge through the mail in option.

Yes, but to receive your AA badge you will be required to surender your regular badge to the AA staff. Then you would get your AA badge. Due to problems last year of people abusing our kindness I will not allow a person to have both badges.

#8 User is offline   perfidiouspal 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 10572

Posted 24 September 2008 - 03:52 PM

I'm sorry if I sound stupid, but I'm a bit new to the Artist Alley... (hehe) I've read everything over a few times, but I'm a bit slow sometimes so I may have missed something... sorry about that.

It would be super-helpful if someone could explain the process. I didn't see anything listed here or at the page on the main site. I know I pre-reg normally, and then sign up to the list. But where at the con will I be able to pick up my badge? At the normal pre-reg line? or at the Artist Alley staff booth thing? will that also be open on Thursday evening? or wait, do you mail them?

After I pre-reg, how does my normal badge become a AA one? Do you all take care of that or do I have to do something extra after I sign up to the list?

I'm sorry, it just seems so complicated to me...
Cosplays~
Isaac Dian/Miria Harvent (Baccano!)
Garlock/Nia (Gurren Lagann)

#9 User is offline   Lady Luck 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 24 September 2008 - 04:09 PM

View Postperfidiouspal, on Sep 24 2008, 04:52 PM, said:

After I pre-reg, how does my normal badge become a AA one? Do you all take care of that or do I have to do something extra after I sign up to the list?

I've never done AA at ACen either, but my understanding of the badges is this:

When you register do NOT choose the mailing option if you are going to do AA. The AA staff will have your badge and you will get it from then when you sign in at the convention.

The "switching" of badges ONLY occurs if you've chosen to have your badge mailed to you. You'd have to turn in your regular badge to the AA staff in before they'll give you your AA badge so that you only have one badge instead of 2.

#10 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:25 PM

View Postperfidiouspal, on Sep 24 2008, 04:52 PM, said:

I'm sorry if I sound stupid, but I'm a bit new to the Artist Alley... (hehe) I've read everything over a few times, but I'm a bit slow sometimes so I may have missed something... sorry about that.

It would be super-helpful if someone could explain the process. I didn't see anything listed here or at the page on the main site. I know I pre-reg normally, and then sign up to the list. But where at the con will I be able to pick up my badge? At the normal pre-reg line? or at the Artist Alley staff booth thing? will that also be open on Thursday evening? or wait, do you mail them?

Yes this year you will also pick up your AA badge along with your studio members badges at the AA staff table.
Please please please do NOT wait in the reg lines.
Yes you should be able to pick them up on thurs evening just like last year at the AA staff table.
We do not mail the AA badges.
My ADHs and I will change you & your studio members badges into a AA badge.
:)

#11 User is offline   Cuddles116 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 7378

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:45 PM

I have a few questions, is there a list of what is allowed/isn't in the Art Show. I mean I know that I have seen paintings and digital art before but if you get table space (how big is that?) would statues and other like items be allowed?

And then for AA from what I've seen it is really long days, if you don't have anyone at all who would be at a table or half table with you how long are you allowed to "temporarily" shut down before it would cause some issue and how many times could you? I'm just thinking if the alley opens at 9 and doesn't close until 6 or later I can't possibly sit for like 9+ hours in one location without regular bathroom and food breaks and possibly going to a few events. But I know I've read before that empty tables are like a no no...
JenFur
Toxic Kiwi Wig/Prop Commissions
Anime Central 2011
. . Fri - Scanty (w/ Brief)- Panty & Stocking
. . Sat - Panty (w/ Brief)- Panty & StockingHalloween 2011 - Alice - Resident Evil Afterlife
Pictures - ACEN Aftershock, ACEN 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, Reactor 2009, 2007, [size=2]2006

#12 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:10 PM

View PostCuddles116, on Sep 24 2008, 09:45 PM, said:

I have a few questions, is there a list of what is allowed/isn't in the Art Show. I mean I know that I have seen paintings and digital art before but if you get table space (how big is that?) would statues and other like items be allowed?

And then for AA from what I've seen it is really long days, if you don't have anyone at all who would be at a table or half table with you how long are you allowed to "temporarily" shut down before it would cause some issue and how many times could you? I'm just thinking if the alley opens at 9 and doesn't close until 6 or later I can't possibly sit for like 9+ hours in one location without regular bathroom and food breaks and possibly going to a few events. But I know I've read before that empty tables are like a no no...

The Art Show tables are the same size as the Alley tables. What you can sell in the art show and rules will be on the AA/AS rules that I will be posting relatively soon. Statues are ok, as long as you created it.
Shutting down temp. your table is a sticky situation because an empty alley doesn't look good to the other artists. A bathroom break or a quick food run, I don't see a problem in that.

#13 User is offline   Lady Luck 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:45 AM

View PostVoltaire30, on Sep 24 2008, 11:10 PM, said:

The Art Show tables are the same size as the Alley tables. What you can sell in the art show and rules will be on the AA/AS rules that I will be posting relatively soon. Statues are ok, as long as you created it.
Shutting down temp. your table is a sticky situation because an empty alley doesn't look good to the other artists. A bathroom break or a quick food run, I don't see a problem in that.

This is also why most cons suggest that you bring a buddy with you to AA. Studio-mates are best, because you can both enjoy the convention freely.

However, if you can't find someone to make art to sell with you, bring a buddy who's interested in going to the con. A "helper" of sorts. This way you know you've got someone extra who you trust to watch your booth in such situations as food/bathroom breaks.

I know some conventions let artist's have food behind their tables, so if that's the case at ACen (I'll let a staffer/veteran answer here) you could always bring a small cooler with a sack lunch.

#14 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2008 - 11:30 AM

View PostLady Luck, on Sep 25 2008, 10:45 AM, said:

This is also why most cons suggest that you bring a buddy with you to AA. Studio-mates are best, because you can both enjoy the convention freely.

However, if you can't find someone to make art to sell with you, bring a buddy who's interested in going to the con. A "helper" of sorts. This way you know you've got someone extra who you trust to watch your booth in such situations as food/bathroom breaks.

I know some conventions let artist's have food behind their tables, so if that's the case at ACen (I'll let a staffer/veteran answer here) you could always bring a small cooler with a sack lunch.

If you do bring food it would cut down on the anxioty of competeing with thousands of people for food. I will stress, If any food is made avaliable to con goers you will lose your badge, table, and privalege to return to ACen's AA. The rules will give the specific reason why.

#15 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2008 - 11:36 AM

BTW The rules and regulations are done. They are in the process of appearing on the website.

View Postneomonki, on Sep 19 2008, 10:01 AM, said:

Thanks!

The convention does not give refunds for a purchased badge. Sorry it took so long to get this info.

#16 User is offline   frzndaqiri 

• Webmistress
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2008 - 12:12 PM

Could you see (to pre-empt a future question) if it would be possible to transfer the badge? If the above person had a friend who might want to go or some other way of getting use out of the badge. I can understand if that's a no as well, as it would be quite the mess if it got too popular.

Just a thought. ;)
Currently: Webmistress and Registration System Admin - my answers on them are as STAFF - PM if you need help

Come visit DisjointedImages in Artist's Alley for Cosplay photo buttons and custom made buttons
Get a button or upgrade it to a keychain/zipper pull/magnet/bottle opener/mirror for just a quarter more.

#17 User is offline   Lady Luck 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 25 September 2008 - 12:35 PM

View Postfrzndaqiri, on Sep 25 2008, 01:12 PM, said:

Could you see (to pre-empt a future question) if it would be possible to transfer the badge? If the above person had a friend who might want to go or some other way of getting use out of the badge. I can understand if that's a no as well, as it would be quite the mess if it got too popular.

Just a thought. ;)

Once you log in on the registration page, it says "Badges are non-refundable and non-transferable." in big bold letters =)

#18 User is offline   Lady Luck 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 25 September 2008 - 12:38 PM

View PostVoltaire30, on Sep 25 2008, 12:30 PM, said:

If you do bring food it would cut down on the anxioty of competeing with thousands of people for food. I will stress, If any food is made avaliable to con goers you will lose your badge, table, and privalege to return to ACen's AA. The rules will give the specific reason why.

I completely understand. The convention center doesn't allow any competition as far as food sources within the building and we all have to abide by that.

I was just speaking from a personal standpoint, like bringing bottled water/juice/pop and maybe a sandwich so we (the artists) don't die of hunger/thirst while waiting for back-up to arrive (if the Artist would be fortunate enough to have even found back-up to bring to ACen).

#19 User is offline   perfidiouspal 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 10572

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:30 PM

I've never done AA at ACen either, but my understanding of the badges is this:

When you register do NOT choose the mailing option if you are going to do AA. The AA staff will have your badge and you will get it from then when you sign in at the convention.

The "switching" of badges ONLY occurs if you've chosen to have your badge mailed to you. You'd have to turn in your regular badge to the AA staff in before they'll give you your AA badge so that you only have one badge instead of 2.

Yes this year you will also pick up your AA badge along with your studio members badges at the AA staff table.
Please please please do NOT wait in the reg lines.
Yes you should be able to pick them up on thurs evening just like last year at the AA staff table.
We do not mail the AA badges.
My ADHs and I will change you & your studio members badges into a AA badge.

:) thank you guys so much! ^^ I feel a bit more relieved now xD
Cosplays~
Isaac Dian/Miria Harvent (Baccano!)
Garlock/Nia (Gurren Lagann)

#20 User is offline   frzndaqiri 

• Webmistress
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:29 PM

Lady Luck: Yeah, I was thinking more in a AA only thing. But yeah, since it's outlined already, it's not likely.

#21 User is offline   Lezzy-cat 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 7032

Posted 26 September 2008 - 05:03 AM

View PostLady Luck, on Sep 25 2008, 01:38 PM, said:

I was just speaking from a personal standpoint, like bringing bottled water/juice/pop and maybe a sandwich so we (the artists) don't die of hunger/thirst while waiting for back-up to arrive (if the Artist would be fortunate enough to have even found back-up to bring to ACen).

I totally recommend bringing a small cooler. We brought one, stuffed with water and caffeine, I think we brought lunch meat too, as well as tons of snacks and such, and they definitely come in handy (especially since it helps to avoid spending $6 on a cheeseburger at con x.x)
Artist for Catstered Creations
http://www.catsteredcreations.com

#22 User is offline   ocelotish 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 12948

Posted 30 September 2008 - 04:56 PM

For the studio badges, or whatever the helper-to-the-artist badge is called, do they follow the same procedure? Register now and then add their name to the form and pick up their badge Thursday evening?

#23 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2008 - 07:31 PM

View Postocelotish, on Sep 30 2008, 05:56 PM, said:

For the studio badges, or whatever the helper-to-the-artist badge is called, do they follow the same procedure? Register now and then add their name to the form and pick up their badge Thursday evening?

Yes and no. They should register now for a convention badge, and you need to provide their name and badge number on the AA/AS registration form.

#24 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:47 PM

To receive your badge to sell in the Artist Alley you will have to be present for an ID check to confirm that you are who it says you are. This goes along with people having one badge and only their badge.

#25 User is offline   bunnybeth 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 15

Posted 03 October 2008 - 02:57 PM

View PostVoltaire30, on Sep 30 2008, 09:47 PM, said:

To receive your badge to sell in the Artist Alley you will have to be present for an ID check to confirm that you are who it says you are. This goes along with people having one badge and only their badge.

To only have 1 payment, my husband and I registered in a group, and it was stated the group leader picks up the badges for all in the group. Does this still apply after transferring the badge to AA badges? As in, do my husband and I both have to be present at the same time for *either* of us to pick up a badge?
CONversations A webcomic about the CON experience
Anime Eats! A cookbook inspired by food in anime and manga.

"Words can only hurt if you try to read them. Don't play their game." -Derek Zoolander
[BadCat Studios] [CONversations] [Bunnybeth.net]

#26 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 October 2008 - 09:11 PM

View Postbunnybeth, on Oct 3 2008, 03:57 PM, said:

To only have 1 payment, my husband and I registered in a group, and it was stated the group leader picks up the badges for all in the group. Does this still apply after transferring the badge to AA badges? As in, do my husband and I both have to be present at the same time for *either* of us to pick up a badge?

An AA badge would be different from the regular reg badges. To receive your AA badge you must be present and will have to provide an ID for confirmation that it is in fact you. Someone from the alley will be by the reg area (they will have a balloon tied to them) to guide/let you into the alley. If you want you can both be present and receive both of your badges, or just one present and receive your own badge.

#27 User is offline   GregC 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 19240

Posted 06 October 2008 - 10:04 AM

Voltaire30 said:

The convention does not give refunds for a purchased badge. Sorry it took so long to get this info.

I know it's too late to do anything about it for this year, but this is a huge sticking point. No table = no go for me. <whine> In AWA's system you buy the badge and table at the same time. Not sure why so few anime cons coordinate the two - every comic convention I go to includes the badges with the table purchase. I'm spoiled by these but much, much prefer anime cons.</whine>
:P

On that same note, how long did it take for tables to sell out last year? (Sorry I've missed that, I'm sure that tidbit is around her somewhere.) I'm on the mailing list so I'll know when it goes live and can jump in at the beginning. But if I still have a chance of missing out on a table by registering the second it opens, I'm not going to chance it. A certain other con that I go to and requires badge purchase first usually takes at least 48 hours to sell out. If I'm fairly certain I can get a table I'll give it a shot.
Greg Carter
Abandon: First Vampire - online graphic novel

#28 User is offline   frzndaqiri 

• Webmistress
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 October 2008 - 12:58 PM

AA sold out in a few days... I want to say 3...

#29 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:26 PM

Yep 3 days :P granted that was because the site kinda died....... but yeah..... from what I can remember if the site had not stopped working it would have been 1.5-2 days :) :heart: I am hoping that me and our website can coroperate to get the rules up yesterday. So that they can be viewed by all :)

#30 User is offline   ocelotish 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 12948

Posted 06 October 2008 - 03:16 PM

Thanks for your help!

Edit: Never mind, found the answer for the second question.

This post has been edited by ocelotish: 06 October 2008 - 04:12 PM

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users