Doujinshi Central 2009 2009 DC, I will post an update when I can

#1 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 8053

Post icon  Posted 18 September 2008 - 02:00 AM

This is also on the Website.

What is Doujinshi? It's a fan drawn and published manga; something we at ACEN are putting together with help from interested artists all around. Better yet we are also running our little Doujinshi as a contest, with excellent prizes on the line, but you should certainly hurry since you only have till February 15th at 11:59 PM CST.
What are we looking for?

There are three main categories:

1. Cover/Splash pages. Covers are simply that, the cover page, Splash pages are full page pieces, consisting of little to no dialogue and any number of subjects: action, characters or whatever, Go crazy.
2. One page pieces, either 3 or 4 panels. A simple comic strip.
3. Extended page comics, no more than 5 pages in length. A simple narrative tale told in the format of your choice, paneled and illustrated.

The Rules

All pieces entered in this contest must meet certain requirements:

1. Theme; all pieces must fit this year’s Doujinshi theme: Create pieces portraying our mascots Jaye, Elle, and Kit (oh poor Kit) with the fashion of a Magic Girl Manga/Anime theme
2. NO hentai, yaoi, or yuri. No excessive violence or vulgar language. We are a family friendly convention; nothing exceeding pg-13 in nature will be accepted.
3. Cover and Splash pages must be based on ACEN's mascots: Jaye, Elle, and Kit
4. 3 to 4 panel page entries must not exceed one page and will be black and white.
5. You may only submit 5 pages. You can choose any combination of entries, five covers, one cover and four 3 or 4 panel pages, two 3 or 4 panel pages and a
three page comic, ect.
6. All entries must be received/sent by 11:59 PM on the deadline date of February 15th. All entries must be sent to artists@acen.org in jpg or pdf formatting. Please make "Doujinshi Central" the subject of your email.

Judging

Grand Prize Winner: Best of show will be chosen from any category. It will be the one piece that stands out as having the best art, or best storyline, and as being the best representation of this year’s theme.

1st-3rd Place Winner: These pieces will be selected from any category. They will be chosen based on the quality of the art and/or storyline, and how well they represent this year’s theme.

Runners-up: Depending on how many entries are received, a large amount of entries that best fit this year’s theme will be selected.
Prizes

Grand Prize: Winner will receive a table in this year’s Artist Alley for free! This will be the only table left. (If winner already has a table they can be compensated at con, or if they do not wish to be in Artist Alley they will void their prize)

1st place winner: TBA
2nd place winner: TBA
3rd place winner: TBA

Runners-up: All runners-up will be printed in the official ACEN 2009 Doujinshi.

Winners must be present at ACEN 2009 in order to claim prize.

Best of luck! We are looking forward to your entries!

If you have any questions feel free to ask. Just contact us at artists@acen.org
Exhibit Space Department Manager 2009, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, & 15
Exhibit Space Assistant Manager 2007 & 08

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your career."

#2 User is offline   Mister M 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 23302

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:17 PM

Quick question; last year there was sort of a 'form' that we had to send with the submission, our name, website, etc. Is there not one this year? I just want to make sure, 'cos it seems like there should be. :\

#3 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:18 PM

Sorry for the delay in my response.
Yes there is a form that should be submitted along with the artwork.
Yes I know it is not on the website or forums, believe me I understand your frustration or anger.

Since the form is needed for a submission to count/participate in this event I will email it out to people who want it.
I can not add it onto none ACen sites so I have to go through email.
Drop me an email and you will have it ASAP if you do not have it already!

On a relative side note: I have only one submission so far. :(

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your career."

#4 User is offline   Lady Luck 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 17675

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:43 PM

View PostVoltaire30, on Jan 29 2009, 02:18 PM, said:

Sorry for the delay in my response.
Yes there is a form that should be submitted along with the artwork.
Yes I know it is not on the website or forums, believe me I understand your frustration or anger.

Since the form is needed for a submission to count/participate in this event I will email it out to people who want it.
I can not add it onto none ACen sites so I have to go through email.
Drop me an email and you will have it ASAP if you do not have it already!

On a relative side note: I have only one submission so far. :(

Can I get a copy of the Doujinshi Central form? Thanks!
*email*
Pokettokon - January 10-11, 2009 - East Peoria, IL

#5 User is offline   ghostfire 

• Production Staff
  • Pip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 16387

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:05 AM

Is there a gallery of the mascots from this and previous years, so we have a character reference?

#6 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:32 AM

View Postghostfire, on Feb 3 2009, 12:05 AM, said:

Is there a gallery of the mascots from this and previous years, so we have a character reference?

To be honest I have no clue, other than in the Archives. Someone searched through all of them and found a link of sorts to a topic. I would start there, unless that person remembers the topic html.

#7 User is offline   ghostfire 

• Production Staff
  • Pip

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:18 PM

Another couple of questions: color or greyscale? What size should we format pages to be, whether cover, strip, or full page? And, related to that, is it full bleed? Screentones have a horrible tendency to get messed up when resized, and that's what I'm planning to use for now.

#8 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:30 PM

View Postghostfire, on Feb 3 2009, 07:18 PM, said:

Another couple of questions: color or greyscale? What size should we format pages to be, whether cover, strip, or full page? And, related to that, is it full bleed? Screentones have a horrible tendency to get messed up when resized, and that's what I'm planning to use for now.

The cover page submission are to be in color, the others no. As for the size and other questions I need to talk with production in more detail. I handle the art aspect they handle the paper quality and materials used. I will get back to you asap.

#9 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:35 PM

Deadline almost here.

#10 User is offline   Hōzukimaru 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 19531

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:47 PM

I'm just putting the finishing touches on mine, i'm sure i'll make it in time. Don't worry its going to be the greatest thing you've ever seen ... if you haven't seen much at all .... hahaha :P If it weren't for the last minute, i wouldn't get anything done.
龍紋鬼灯丸 !!!!!!

#11 User is offline   ghostfire 

• Production Staff
  • Pip

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:33 PM

I'm finishing up my submission. Any word on the formatting?

#12 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 February 2009 - 08:40 AM

View Postghostfire, on Feb 13 2009, 11:33 PM, said:

I'm finishing up my submission. Any word on the formatting?

Not as of yet. I am going to meet the printing people today, for answers.

#13 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2009 - 03:36 PM

These are the requirements. I will try and resize if images need to.
If people were waiting for this info to submit, please still submit!!
I can try and bump back the deadline

8.5" by 5.5" (8.5 in. by 5.5 in.)
300dpi or higher

#14 User is offline   Worldlygate 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 5907

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:04 PM

Thanks for the update on requirements! This definitely helps.

Thanks again.
DeviantART

Cosplaying as...

Haruhi Suzumiya~

#15 User is offline   ghostfire 

• Production Staff
  • Pip

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:17 PM

View PostVoltaire30, on Feb 15 2009, 04:36 PM, said:

These are the requirements. I will try and resize if images need to.
If people were waiting for this info to submit, please still submit!!
I can try and bump back the deadline

8.5" by 5.5" (8.5 in. by 5.5 in.)
300dpi or higher

o_o Oh no... I was doing this at 8.5x11! If you could bump the submission back by a day or so... at least so I can make the text readable...

#16 User is offline   Worldlygate 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:23 PM

Yeah, I think an extra day would help lots. ><
I need to format everything to the right size...
But just a question, is this a 'landscape' drawing or a 'portrait'? Mine will be 5.5x8.5...so I don't know if it will come out the wrong direction or something.
DeviantART

Cosplaying as...

Haruhi Suzumiya~

#17 User is offline   ghostfire 

• Production Staff
  • Pip

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:24 PM

View PostWorldlygate, on Feb 16 2009, 12:23 AM, said:

Yeah, I think an extra day would help lots. ><
I need to format everything to the right size...
But just a question, is this a 'landscape' drawing or a 'portrait'? Mine will be 5.5x8.5...so I don't know if it will come out the wrong direction or something.

I have to assume it's portrait, but that does seem to be listed as a landscape...

*Also* American left-to-right or Japanese right-to-left?

This post has been edited by ghostfire: 15 February 2009 - 11:27 PM

#18 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:30 PM

View Postghostfire, on Feb 15 2009, 11:17 PM, said:

o_o Oh no... I was doing this at 8.5x11! If you could bump the submission back by a day or so... at least so I can make the text readable...

Do not worry, you can submit it late if you are re-sizing it. The info wasn't posted before the deadline (by much) so take your time. I will take the heat for it. (not a guilt trip) I am here to make things work, and if they don't it will be my fault.

#19 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:08 PM

When you submit your entry for Doujinshi Central please include the release form.
If you don't have it, let me know. I will send it to you.

As for the submitting late, please don't abuse it. I will be giving a more solidified deadline soon.

#20 User is offline   Karmada 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 15495

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:42 AM

Logistics question!

Will the results be announced on the boards? Or are the people included in the book emailed privately? Or will we find out when we get to ACEN?

Just curious!

#21 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:27 PM

View PostKarmada, on Feb 26 2009, 08:42 AM, said:

Logistics question!

Will the results be announced on the boards? Or are the people included in the book emailed privately? Or will we find out when we get to ACEN?

Just curious!

People will find out at ACen.
March 1st 2009 at 12:01am is the new deadline to submit if you were waiting for the extra info

#22 User is offline   Worldlygate 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 28 February 2009 - 07:18 PM

Just a question, but will you respond to our submission email confirming it was recieved? Because I emailed my submission but never recieved a reply.
DeviantART

Cosplaying as...

Haruhi Suzumiya~

#23 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2009 - 12:32 AM

View PostWorldlygate, on Feb 28 2009, 07:18 PM, said:

Just a question, but will you respond to our submission email confirming it was recieved? Because I emailed my submission but never recieved a reply.

To be honest, I did with the very first 2. After that I got sick and ACen got very busy for me so I stopped.
So, if your worried I can send you one if you want. If that is the general thought I can get it done hopefully by the end of this week.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users