• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Cosplay Burnout What do you do?

#1 User is offline   Kitsu-chan 

• 2+2 = 5
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 6190
  • Location:Hiding from my Sewing machine. Shh... Don't tell it I'm under the bed.

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:28 PM

I just got curious what people do when they suffer from Cosplay Burnout.

I started getting burnt out thinking about cosplay, partly cause I'm planning ahead to making hardsuits for 2010. In the end I tossed my entire cosplay list into a fire. This list was massive, I had enough ideas for the next 7yrs without ever rewearing a cosplay & without any 2 being from the same series. Plus 95% was within my ability to make right now.

So anything about 09 cosplays I've said before today, forget about it they didn't survive. Except making Senta-kun's that did survive, I just need measurements. I will be making a new list of 09 cosplays starting tommorrow, so I'll start a different thread for suggestions.
Resident Ladyboy of the ACen Forums

Sadly won't be attending ACen 2012. So I'll be taking my cosplay up a notch for 2013.

#2 User is offline   Millions_Knives 

• Masquerade Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 8636

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:32 PM

your pushing your self to hard
your planing so far ahead that by the time you get to it
youve lost your passion
do things you really care about
not for deadlines
for you
good times to all
want to learn about cosplay materials? click here->my youtube cosplay tips and tricks<-click here

#3 User is offline   this_chick25 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 7489

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:45 PM

I used to do that.

DON'T DO THAT.

Do your cosplays one by one, or if you're like me, do a couple (just the ones for the upcoming con), and fine tune your plans for your next ones after that. Don't work more than two years out, and keep your plans for longer than a year out as tentative only--by the time you get around to the one furthest out, you'll probably see something else/better you want to do.

Also, if you're going to make plans for sturdy cosplays, especially ones made to fit you specifically (like a hardsuit), you should definitely get years of wear out of them, or at least more than two cons (if you attend them like that). Doing otherwise is a waste unless you know people your size who will buy them off you.

Burning yourself out is not only bad for your motivation, but for your pocketbook, because sometimes by the time you get to them after buying the mats to build them, you may come across a better material or an awesome sale, and then you're kicking your own butt for wasting money.

This post has been edited by this_chick25: 11 September 2008 - 08:47 PM

Acen Attendee since 2001
Wondering how much to save for ACen? Click here!
FREE! Cosplay construction and materials advice--get yours now!
Never cause more mischief than that which is necessary for success.
Sig invade'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd by Alk <3

#4 User is offline   Alkelie 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 17543

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:49 PM

just do a random drawing, but plz go as Urd, im going as celestin as u know and itll be nice to have someone there to compare with
Acen 09!!

Brock- 10%
Stein-15%
Undertaker(Kuroshitsuji)- 0%

#5 User is offline   tatsumakichan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 17729

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:15 PM

View PostAlkelie, on Sep 11 2008, 09:49 PM, said:

just do a random drawing, but plz go as Urd, im going as celestin as u know and itll be nice to have someone there to compare with

Wow... I could see Kitsu as Urd... (even though we've never met irl... though he looks familiar)
Cosplay 2011: X23 (MvC3), Female!Japan (APH)

Blog: http://jenniferkwanart.blogspot.com/
Deviantart: Art Account and Photo/cosplay Account

#6 User is offline   Kitsu-chan 

• 2+2 = 5
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 6190
  • Location:Hiding from my Sewing machine. Shh... Don't tell it I'm under the bed.

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:48 PM

I will be going as Urd. That's the only survivor from the old list.

I have a new list of ideas & I like them all. I'm gonna throw everything in a hat & draw out probably 5. The last 2 drawn will be backup ideas. My problem definitely was that I started planning cosplays for 2010 & possible ideas for as far out as 2013 masquerade entry.

I have anime, manga, video game & even American comic book characters on the current list. Plus there's a decent number of non-crossplays on the list. I'm probably gonna break the drawing up into manga, Video game, & anime. The American characters are gonna be thrown in with the manga.

Also after I draw I'm gonna destroy my list rather than hold it for future ideas, that's how my last one got so huge.
Resident Ladyboy of the ACen Forums

Sadly won't be attending ACen 2012. So I'll be taking my cosplay up a notch for 2013.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users