Anime Central Forums: So Your Showing In The Art Show 09 - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

So Your Showing In The Art Show 09 Things to know in 09, I will post a 2010 when I can

#1 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 8053

Post icon  Posted 04 September 2008 - 10:59 PM

Things to keep in mind for those who plan to show in the art show:
  • Remember to have your pieces framed or matted. (last year some pieces that were matted and then covered with a platic protector it looked really nice)
  • Try to keep in mind how you are planning to hang them, Ie is there a wire on the back to hook things up or not. or how you could make an apparatus. We do not provide hooks or any material for you to hang with.
  • Before coming to con try to figure out the title of your piece and starting bid and quick sale prices, these things will cut down your time registering as you will need them when turning in your pieces.
  • Consider making a business card holder to place next to your works
  • If you are putting large prints or canvases onto a table flat- consider picking up an mini easel or some kind of table top holder to prop you pictures upright. It makes them nice and easy to see.
  • We do put tables in the art show for 3D work and work that is too large to be hung up. You can display it just as is, set on the table or you can bring things such at shadow boxes, display cases, or rotating tabletop stands. If what you are showing is very small I would recommend some kind of display case. There are some small clear plastic ones that are only about $2 at craft stores.
  • At con rental is possible but not guaranteed.

Exhibit Space Department Manager 2009, 10, 11, 12, & 13
Exhibit Space Assistant Manager
2007 & 08

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your artistic career."

#2 User is offline   Missyeru 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 2706

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:15 PM

when does registration for 2009 start? i want in!
Acen '11 Cosplay
Caitlyn from League of Legends
Acen '12 Cosplays
Super Secret Character from League of Legends
Thief Paine - FFX-2
Black Mage Paine - FFX-2
Possibly Effie Trinket if I decide to bring her

#3 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 September 2008 - 11:54 PM

View PostMissyeru, on Sep 7 2008, 11:15 PM, said:

when does registration for 2009 start? i want in!

We unfortunatly are unable to confirm the date. So there is no set time. The website is wrong. The best guess would be late 08-early 09. in that time area.
2007 & 08

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your artistic career."

#4 User is offline   Dada-Velvet Eden 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 11941

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:49 PM

Hello i was wondering about so rules about the art show...

1.) What is the size limit on artwork? (example 11"x 17")
2.) IS there a limit on how many pieces you can submit?
3.) any other tips/ info would be great. :)

#5 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:10 PM

View PostDada-Velvet Eden, on Sep 16 2008, 09:49 PM, said:

The rules for AA and AS will become available when they are approved. Hopefully by this weekend.
2007 & 08

#6 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 September 2008 - 03:03 AM

View PostDada-Velvet Eden, on Sep 16 2008, 09:49 PM, said:

To answer 1. and 2.
The size limit.... well keep it within reason. Please ie. not over 5 feet tall
The limit is how much you can fit on the space you purchased.

3. I will get back to you with more info....and this topic :)
2007 & 08

#7 User is offline   Dada-Velvet Eden 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11941

Posted 19 September 2008 - 07:51 AM

View PostVoltaire30, on Sep 18 2008, 03:03 AM, said:

To answer 1. and 2.
The size limit.... well keep it within reason. Please ie. not over 5 feet tall
The limit is how much you can fit on the space you purchased.

3. I will get back to you with more info....and this topic :)

I know this might sound silly...O_o but i haven't participated in the art show before ... I read on the site about $10 hanging display per flat.
exactly how much space would that be? just so i would know if i needed to purchase more room? Sorry if this is a odd question. O_o i just have know idea how much of any space i would be purchasing to display my art work in the show.

OH yea ! for hanging art do you offer a stand? cause i remember seeing those big black ones there last year.

Thank you.

This post has been edited by Dada-Velvet Eden: 19 September 2008 - 07:52 AM

#8 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 September 2008 - 08:08 AM

View PostDada-Velvet Eden, on Sep 19 2008, 08:51 AM, said:

I know this might sound silly...O_o but i haven't participated in the art show before ... I read on the site about $10 hanging display per flat.
exactly how much space would that be? just so i would know if i needed to purchase more room? Sorry if this is a odd question. O_o i just have know idea how much of any space i would be purchasing to display my art work in the show.

OH yea ! for hanging art do you offer a stand? cause i remember seeing those big black ones there last year.

Thank you.

Each flat is approx. 6ft tall and 3-4ft wide. That is a guess, because I am working off of memory from setup and tear down of last con.

The big black stands that you remember are the flats. and you rent out part of the stand configuration.(ie. sides)

Do not worry about the questions. I am on the forums and email a lot because I do not want people in the dark.
2007 & 08

#9 User is offline   batjuggalo187 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 9592

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:57 AM

Hello i want to show my artwork in the art show but i was wondering is there any limits such as nudity, violence, blood/gore, and vaulgarities?? This might be my first year showing so I don't want my work being pulled from the show!!!! :blink:

#10 User is offline   batjuggalo187 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 9592

Posted 07 October 2008 - 01:46 AM

One more thang does the art work have to be strictly be anime and manga related or can it be comicbook heros such as batman or spiderman or can can it be a crossover such as vash the stamped sharing sake with Darth Vader ????

#11 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:54 PM

View Postbatjuggalo187, on Oct 7 2008, 01:57 AM, said:

Hello i want to show my artwork in the art show but i was wondering is there any limits such as nudity, violence, blood/gore, and vaulgarities?? This might be my first year showing so I don't want my work being pulled from the show!!!! :blink:

Well there rules that should have been put up on the website awhile ago. What I can say is that this is a family friendly convention, so in effect all materials must be family friendly.

View Postbatjuggalo187, on Oct 7 2008, 02:46 AM, said:

One more thang does the art work have to be strictly be anime and manga related or can it be comicbook heros such as batman or spiderman or can can it be a crossover such as vash the stamped sharing sake with Darth Vader ????

As far as relating the artwork to anime/manga/comic is up to you.
2007 & 08

#12 User is offline   Cuddles116 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 7378

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:29 PM

View PostVoltaire30, on Oct 8 2008, 02:54 AM, said:

Well there rules that should have been put up on the website awhile ago. What I can say is that this is a family friendly convention, so in effect all materials must be family friendly.

Yeah it's been almost two weeks since you said they were done in another thread, is there any chance you would just post in a thread what you can sell in the art show and the rules?
JenFur
Toxic Kiwi Wig/Prop Commissions
Anime Central 2011
. . Fri - Scanty (w/ Brief)- Panty & Stocking
. . Sat - Panty (w/ Brief)- Panty & StockingHalloween 2011 - Alice - Resident Evil Afterlife
Pictures - ACEN Aftershock, ACEN 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, Reactor 2009, 2007, [size=2]2006

#13 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:20 AM

View PostCuddles116, on Oct 8 2008, 12:29 AM, said:

Yeah it's been almost two weeks since you said they were done in another thread, is there any chance you would just post in a thread what you can sell in the art show and the rules?

I am trying to wait for our web guru to put them up, because I do not have access to it. It will go up on the forums at the end of this week if it is not on the website.
2007 & 08

#14 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 October 2008 - 12:10 PM

The rules are up. They have also been sent out on the ML.
2007 & 08

#15 User is offline   Kagayaki 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 19711

Posted 29 October 2008 - 11:21 AM

I'm considering being in the art show, but...

-As for yaoi and yuri not being allowed...what about just mild shounen-ai or shoujo-ai? Surely, kissing and hugging is just family friendly, even if it's the same sex.

-Can you be in the art show for only one or two days? Or do you have to be chained to the table for all three days? I really don't want my work stolen.

-I've noticed online, people are making things like keychains or buttons of their favorite characters to sell in other conventions. Is this allowed?

-Where can I find affordable art supplies, online or in a store if I'm planning on presenting my work? After all, I'd like to pay for a badge, too.

Sorry, I'm new and I don't know too much. I hope to figure out more as I spend more time here. :)
ACen 2011:
Mitsuki Koyama - pink dress (Full Moon wo Sagashite) 25% Akiza Izinski/Aki Izayoi (Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's) 0% Syrus Truesdale/Shou Marufuji (Yu-Gi-Oh! GX) 25% Tea Gardner/Anzu Mazaki - new manga outfit (Yu-Gi-Oh!) 5% Pheonix Wright - pink sweater (Ace Attorney Pheonix Wright: Trials and Tribulations) 10%

#16 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:12 PM

View PostKagayaki, on Oct 29 2008, 12:21 PM, said:

I'm considering being in the art show, but...

-As for yaoi and yuri not being allowed...what about just mild shounen-ai or shoujo-ai? Surely, kissing and hugging is just family friendly, even if it's the same sex.

-Can you be in the art show for only one or two days? Or do you have to be chained to the table for all three days? I really don't want my work stolen.

-I've noticed online, people are making things like keychains or buttons of their favorite characters to sell in other conventions. Is this allowed?

-Where can I find affordable art supplies, online or in a store if I'm planning on presenting my work? After all, I'd like to pay for a badge, too.

Sorry, I'm new and I don't know too much. I hope to figure out more as I spend more time here. :)

I am glad you are interested in the Art Show.

-I believe you are refuring to #6 under ArtShow submission guidlines. What that would prevent would be but not limited to, sex, drugs, violence, and nudity. If your submision follows that (along with the other rules) you are ok.

-The artshow is more akin to a gallery were artist place art on display to be bought under silent auction. So you will not be required to be there other than submition(when you submit your piece) and pick-up(if your piece did not sell or it did and you find out how much).

-The selling of keychains and buttons are allowed at this convention if they follow the guidlines and are sold at the appropriate places. In the past there have been many debates on what constitutes "art" and what can be sold. Without wanting to confuse you more on this topic I would sudjest to vist Rules and Regulations of the Alley / Show

-As for your question on were to find affordable art supplies, I can not answer that question. Another artist may be able to point you in the direction that you seek.

If you have anymore questions please ask.
2007 & 08

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users