• This topic is locked

Customized Dolls?

#1 User is offline   Lezzy-cat 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 7032

Posted 02 September 2008 - 01:41 PM

I was just wondering if these were allowed... I don't know if anyone does them for conventions, but I know at least, for example, on the Sailor Moon LJ communities, people buy loose dolls (usually well loved/abused SM dolls, if not other anime dolls) and do their own customizations to them, be it new outfits, turning them into another character, etc. Some people keep them for themselves, others sell them in the communities and online for profit. Would these be allowed to sell in AA?
Artist for Catstered Creations
http://www.catsteredcreations.com

#2 User is offline   Kitsu-chan 

• 2+2 = 5
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 6190
  • Location:Hiding from my Sewing machine. Shh... Don't tell it I'm under the bed.

Posted 02 September 2008 - 02:53 PM

I'm not staff, but I will say that at 2007 I bought a My Little Pony that was done similar to what you're talking about.

The person used sculpty clay & such on well loved/abused to make them look like various anime characters. The one I bought looks like a chocobo :wub: Hope you can get a booth, I'd love to see your work.

Also, are you gonna take any commissions?
Resident Ladyboy of the ACen Forums

Sadly won't be attending ACen 2012. So I'll be taking my cosplay up a notch for 2013.

#3 User is offline   Damica Racall 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 13906

Posted 02 September 2008 - 02:56 PM

I'm not staff either, but I wouldn't see where there would be a problem. They were selling modded my little ponies, so I don't see how dolls would be different!

oh, btw, thank you again for the drawing you did last year of my boyfriend and I. He loved it!
Cosplays for 2011:
Planned:
Baiken - Guilty Gear(maybe)
Jessica - Umineko
Luka "Magnet" - Vocaloid

#4 User is offline   Lezzy-cat 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 02 September 2008 - 03:51 PM

View PostKitsu-chan, on Sep 2 2008, 04:53 PM, said:

I'm not staff, but I will say that at 2007 I bought a My Little Pony that was done similar to what you're talking about.

The person used sculpty clay & such on well loved/abused to make them look like various anime characters. The one I bought looks like a chocobo :wub: Hope you can get a booth, I'd love to see your work.

I know people were doing MLP's, but modding a pre-existing anime doll might be a problem, which is why I figured I'd ask first. I know some places have issues with reproducing your own version of a pre-existing item, so I just need to know where my boundaries are, and if its okay for me to do my own version of a character or if I need to stick to ones that were never doll-ified, if its even allowed.

And I'll totally take commissions ;) In terms of dolls, I haven't actually done any yet (I have a couple SM dolls I picked up over the weekend that I have yet to play with), but I can imagine they'll turn out great. As for anything else I do.. **points to the DA link in her siggy** ;)

View PostDamica Racall, on Sep 2 2008, 04:56 PM, said:

I'm not staff either, but I wouldn't see where there would be a problem. They were selling modded my little ponies, so I don't see how dolls would be different!

oh, btw, thank you again for the drawing you did last year of my boyfriend and I. He loved it!

No problem, I had fun doing it, and I'm glad you like it so much ^^

#5 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 8053

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:26 PM

If it is your own creation, you made it. Then yes you can sell it if you want too.
Exhibit Space Department Manager 2009, 10, 11, 12, 13, & 14
Exhibit Space Assistant Manager 2007 & 08

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your career."

#6 User is offline   Lezzy-cat 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 03 September 2008 - 05:09 AM

View PostVoltaire30, on Sep 2 2008, 10:26 PM, said:

If it is your own creation, you made it. Then yes you can sell it if you want too.

Works for me! I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be a problem ^^

#7 User is offline   TheLadyRaven 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 4134

Post icon  Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:56 AM

View PostKitsu-chan, on Sep 2 2008, 09:53 PM, said:

^^ I think you bought from my good friend that I go with every year! She does custom ponies. She even did one of an original character of mine.

But to answer the original question, I don't think there would be a problem with it either.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users